User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Synthroid review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Synthroid to treat Hashimoto's disease

Review by ldydi49 (taken for 10 years or more):

T4 only did not work for me, my body could not convert the T4 to the needed T3

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by Sharonkc2006:

I've been on Synthroid for over 15 years due to Hashimoto's Disease and also partial thyroidectomy due to a nodule. For anyone who is on the medication and says they are feeling depressed, tired, etc. check into the symptoms of hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease as it may be that your medication is not at the right dose. My doctor considers 'normal' TSH to be between 1 and 3 while the AMA lists it as between 1 and 5. When I am at a 4, I do not feel well and have all the symptoms. DON'T just STOP taking this medication on your own as you can have severe side effects, GO back to your doctor and discuss how you feel. I cannot take the generics as they do not work for me. Only SYNTHROID for me! (I'm on 225 a day!)

January 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by Hyposufferer1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

6+ years on Synthroid, and this is what I have to show for it..Used to be a size 12 now a 28, no periods, pain all over, Hypo symptoms still, mental and mood symptoms ( anxiety, depression, mood swings) My Growth Hormone is only 40 and my FSH is 78. I can't have children. Finally switched to Cytomel, it broke me out, and still had same symptoms as above. My level was over 20 last they checked. Just got a RX for Armour, hoping I finally get my life back

November 7, 2013 12:39 AM

Review by Hopefullysoon:

I was on this medication for about two weeks or so and within the first couple of days it made me feel extremely anxious and depressed. I felt as if I was not in control of my emotions. As if this was not bad enough I also felt an uncomfortable sensation in my neck and experienced trouble sleeping.

October 18, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by Anonymous151637326236:

I've been on Synthroid my whole life, it works like a charm. I'm on a dose of 120 right now and its helping.

October 17, 2013 10:50 PM

I have been on Synthroid now for 4 years. I wasn't able to take the generic Levothyroxine because it caused me high blood pressure. I was shocked to find out I had Thyroid disease. My dosage continues to go up I'm on 125mcg now, and just had my TSH checked and its again on the low end (which I can tell because of fatigue, weight gain, hair loss). I demand my thyroid to be tested every 4 months. When its in the middle of "Normal" range is the only time I feel good!

August 21, 2012 9:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Suffering for years from all symptoms of hypothryroidism and mother has Hashimoto's. Finally doctor did thyroid tests. My thyroid peroxidase asb level was 170 but Free T4 and T3 within normal range. Doc prescribed 100mg Synthroid to start. Wow! In three days I could tell a difference. I rated Synthroid 8 of 10. Time will tell if I have side effects, but for the time being after one week on Synthroid I feel like a new person.

July 12, 2012 4:35 PM

If you are taking Synthroid and you are still depressed, overweight or losing hair (all symptoms of hypothyroidism, which this drug treats) then your dose is still not high enough. If your doctor tells you that you are "within the normal range, "switch doctors - if you are still having symptoms then your dose should be higher. I have been on this medication for several years now and as long as I'm on the right dose, I feel fine. I know I need an adjustment when I start to get tired and depressed. Those are the two most obvious symptoms for me (as well as hair loss). I have used low-carb diets effectively (New Atkins for a New You is good - has a section for vegetarians) to lose the weight I had gained when my thyroid became inactive.

December 10, 2011 9:48 AM

Review by Brittany224jsfdj:

This works fantastically for me and it has for 7 years!

October 25, 2010 6:11 PM

I was on this medicine for about 6 months and in that time I felt worse than when I wasn't taking it. It took the migraines away but I still had muscle aches, fatigue, hair loss, dry skin, brittle nails and more. The huge symptom I had on this medicine that bothered me is the depression. I felt dread and doom everyday. I couldn't take it anymore, so I stopped taking it, then I went to a different doctor that prescribed me Armour.

June 24, 2010 10:33 AM

Review by PeriMom:

This medicine has given me my life back. Prior to Synthroid: blood pressure spikes, panic, anxiety, insomnia, sweats, rapid heart rate, massive headaches, neck ache, muscle soreness, fatigued, weight loss, my nails would rip off, my skin was flakey etc. After two days and very SEVERE muscle pain I woke up on the third day a brand new person. One month on 50 mg and I was back to my normal self again. I was even able to exercise and paint my bedroom and was pain free the next day. My levels are still a bit high so it was raised to 75 mg a week ago and I just feel better and better. All medicines are not for all people but this one has worked for me. I have long nails again and my dried out hair has taken a new life! LOVE it!

April 22, 2010 11:30 AM

Review by angelics:

I have been on Synthroid for a while and when I started having stomach issues I could no longer tolerate pills. My endo doc changed me from Synthroid to Levoxyl and I couldn't tolerate that either. Now I'm on injectable, what a relief to know I have options!

March 9, 2010 11:36 AM

Review by molly 69:

I have been on 2 different dosages of Synthroid for almost 20 yrs. January of 2009 my Dr decided to take me off 1 of my dosages, that was the worst experience of my life. I went into withdrawals, fatigue and a depression all over again. I am now just getting back on my other dosage, keeping my fingers crossed it will all work out for the best again.

November 24, 2009 3:24 PM

Synthroid has changed my life -- from 16 hours/day in bed to being an active medical school student. The only side effect I have experienced is dry eye in the mornings, but that is fine with the use of artificial tears. I used Synthroid for my Hashimoto's and now continue to use it post-thyroidectomy. I only use the Synthroid name brand because generics could be made at different labs and will not be exactly the same every month. Talk to your doctor about using generics. My doctors only prescribe the name brand for me because it is important to have constant thyroid hormone levels.

October 2, 2009 2:20 AM

I have been on Synthroid and the generic for eleven years. If you ever suffered from the effects of thyroid disease you probably know the depression and fatigue that I felt 11 years ago. I only noticed two side effects. One was an interaction with birth control, the other was my hair wouldn't perm well anymore (small price to pay).

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2009 3:46 PM