User Reviews for Imipramine

Also known as: Tofranil, Tofranil-PM

Learn more about Imipramine.

Imipramine review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Imipramine to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Sambaluk:

Tofranil (imipramine): Nightmares, hard to sleep.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2013 3:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tofranil (imipramine): Tofranil is THE medicine to take for Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder recently, and I was a complete mess. Depressed, suicidal, anxious, the works. My primary care Dr. gave me Xanax. The Xanax helped, but only for short spurts. It also made me more depressed. I was taking up to 3 mg per day, and barely functioning. I got in to see a Psychiatrist, and he is older and more experienced. He immediately knew I had Panic Disorder, and started me on Tofranil. Tofranil absolutely stopped the panic attacks cold. I have been able to cut the Xanax way back, and feel, dare I say, normal. Tofranil is an old medicine, so many docs don't or won't try it. Newer is not always better.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2012 7:49 PM

Review by Ash111:

I started at 25 mg and slowly made my way up to 125mg. It's really not doing much. It has blocked my panic attacks but doesn't seem to do much for everyday anxiety. This is week 5 and I'm thinking of trying a new medication. The side effects aren't as bad. I didn't have any appetite changes and no sexual side effects (sex drive improved). Only side effect I had was a dry mouth after >100 mg dosages - it is pretty annoying but its not that bad. Other side effect is random episodes of being tired - (again this side effect wasn't that bad). The only really bad thing I have to say about it is that it didn't really work for my generalized anxiety disorder. It does block panic attacks though! I highly recommend for bad panic attack sufferers.

December 22, 2011 5:21 AM

Tofranil (imipramine): I had my first panic attacks immediately following the birth of my first son 18 years ago when I was 28 years old. The panic attacks were horrific and occurred randomly. I was prescribed a few different medications that weren't successful, but when I was prescribed Imipramine, I felt I had my life back. I doubt that I could have continued to be a primary school teacher without Imipramine. It has really been a miracle medication to me. When doctors hear that I take Imipramine, they usually comment that it is a really old drug that has been around since the 60's. Then they ask if I'd like to try one of the newer drugs. No way! I feel perfect on Imipramine. I can't say enough great things about it.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2011 12:37 AM

Review by Jo212:

Tofranil (imipramine): I have suffered with Panic Attacks all my life but went undiagnosed until 1989. I am now 58 and trust me when I tell you that there is no cure. In my initial diagnosis I was started on Tofranil as an inpatient. After my discharge from the hospital I went 5 entire years without having a panic attack. When they resumed I had to be re-hospitalized and it was there I was put on Klonopin, which I have essentially been off of for a year. I am having constant panic attacks. My daughter does not want me to resume Klonopin as when on it I slept all the time. I did this search to see if Tofranil is still being used for panic disorder and I see that it is. I plan to have my psychiatrist to put me back on it as it really worked.

June 27, 2010 7:06 PM

Tofranil (imipramine): I had suffered with panic attacks since I was around 14 years old. There came a time when I had shock treatments because back in the 60's not much was known about these kinds of illnesses. Later on, I became completely housebound for 8 years. I heard about Tofranil and decided to try it. Within 3 weeks I was able to not only get out of my house but go about 3 blocks away. It takes time, but if it had not been for Tofranil combined with Xanax I would still be home bound. It works, no two ways about it. When nothing else did. The only side effects were sleepiness until it gets into your system (2 weeks for me) and dry mouth. But for me that was nothing to getting my life back.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2009 4:58 PM