User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 4 reviews 34 medications

Malaria 0 reviews 40 medications Not rated - Be the first
Malaria Prevention 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 94 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I have been on this medication for approximately 8 years. Before I started this medicine I was in terrible shape. With Sjogren's syndrome as my primary autoimmune disease and rheumatoid arthritis as my secondary autoimmune disease I was in terrible persistent pain, had terrible joint ache and was incapacitated for about four months before finally being diagnosed and given this. Along with steroids, this medicine, and some regular doses of ibuprofen I found I was able to be mobile again, to go back to work and have a quality life again. I have not found that being on the same the dosage has lessened it's effectiveness over the last 8. During major flares especially, it would be near impossible to have a good, healthy life."

SeattleN (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started hydroxychloroquine (200mg 2xdaily) Feb 2015. It is now May 2015 and I feel no relief. My rheumy keeps trying to taper me off prednisone but as soon as I get off I flare up again. I'm currently pregnant with twins so my options for treatment are pretty limited. Obviously everyone is different but this drug has not given me any relief at all. Dr will be starting me on methotrexate after pregnancy. I'm 28 diagnosed Nov 14"

ashby1987 May 16, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this medication a week ago and have had very vivid dreams. I used to wake up with rib and hip pain/stiffness. I also couldn't relax and lay in bed because my body just felt restless. I would say that on day 2, I woke up almost completely relaxed and nearly no stiffness. I also started taking Celebrex on the same day, so I'm not sure if it's the combination of the two or one or the other, but I feel so much better. I am a 31 year old female and mom of a 1.5 year old."

Vet mom May 1, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Feel so much better since being on Plaquenil since 2013. Always have reg eye tests. My inflammation level is only a 2 now and it was 39. Still feel a little tired now and then but I blame it on working 30 hrs a week. Hope this drug helps you too."

Mrs. S April 21, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I was diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis four years ago. The doctor told me to take hydroxychoroquine and told me to stick to that medicine or my lupus would return. Ever since then I have been doing great. I do have a few side affects but none of that matters to me because I got my childhood back. - Angel Aguillon 14yrs old 04/08/15"

Angelisback April 9, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "For the past 2 years I have had itching on my head. Can be any area of scalp. None on face. I take 50 mg of antihistimine every day, just to keep it mild. But it doesn't stop it. No redness, no dry scalp."

angelfever February 11, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I started taking this medication three months ago,November. The doctor told me it would take up to three months to work .After the first month the fatigue lessened.I didn't want to sleep all day long,I actually wanted to move.Soon after the occurrence of joint pain also lowered.It still hurts when I push myself to hard and on.rainy days but the pain isn't consistent anymore."

LaffyTaffy123 February 9, 2015

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Was unable to stand erect without pain and experienced constant tissue pain. After being on it for two months was essentially pain free and could stand erect."

Terry C January 26, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Its been a year and half on hydroxychloroquine at the high dose at first, which gave me brown urine, headache, and no appetite. Doc cut the dose in half, and I was okay, except for irritated tummy. I asked if I could again cut dose in half, which worked out to like 100mg a day. I felt like my old self, but doc thought too low dose. I turned down prednisone all together, and waited out the hydroxychloroquine. I saw the rheumatology doc the other day and took a list of concerns, he said not related to lupus...(burning skin in private area, tummy issues, brain fog, dry mouth at the front, and a few others). I had culture on urine and nothing...but bilirubin in urine and trace ketones too, so gonna double check that out. Rheumatology thinks I should go off this."

DeeGlp (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome 3 months ago. I also have rheumatoid Arthritis and Hashimotos. My rheumatologist prescribed Plaquenil in hopes to control all 3 conditions. I would say that Plaquenil has basically given me my life back. I suffer from debilitating joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and extreme anxiety. I had to quit working because as a high school teacher, brain fog and anxiety, are probably 2 of the worst things you should be dealing with when dealing with teenagers. I would give Plaquenil a 10, but I haven't been on it long enough to see the full effects. I continue to have more energy every day, I'm back to walking, as exercise, again and my joint pain is very well controlled."

Ohsooz (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I would recommend this to anyone. I was put on Plaquenil in April of 2012 for Lupus symptoms, constant pain( mostly in my legs) extreme fatigue and overall ill feeling. Within 2 months of taking Plaquenil the pain and fatigue had subsided, not completely but has greatly improved over the last year and half & my health and immune system has also improved and I went from being sick ALL the time to very rarely sick. It has been a Godsend for me. I wouldn't advise taking the medicine on an empty stomach it will make you sick & nauseous all day long."

osborne113 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I am a RN and have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disorder. I was initially very hesitant to start medication due to the side effects. I have been on the medicine for three years. I have had increased joint mobility and decreased swelling. I do have my eyes examined every six months. Glad I weighed my options and gave it a try."

chelle1989roses October 5, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Hydroxychloroquine for over a year. It has eased the pain in my hands for a while but the longer I am on this medication it is not working as well as it did. I am still having stiffness and pain in some joints. This is at 200mg x2 daily."

Kat45 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2014

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: "I have taken hydroxychloroquine for less than a month prescribed by my rheumatologist. As yet I see no improvement in arthritis symptoms but Dr. said it would take at least two months to see results. But like some of the others on this website I am experiencing thigh pain that is unbearable by afternoon and evening. It is almost impossible to navigate stairs. I did not have this pain before taking this."

Snookey (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 47 year old female who has suffered many years from chronic pain in joints! It's been along road to finally have a Dr. go out of his way to clearly confirm a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Its not even been a week yet since hydroxyoquine was introduced to part of my treatment! Wow! I not conquered this journey all the way yet but I will. This medicine has improved my ankle and finger joints pain. It's only been a week! Yes there are some minor side effects but compared to the pain I was in over a week ago its incredible! Rheumatologist is the key! Great Care and the combination of two others is improving my life one day at a time! Don't wait! Ask your rheumatologist today what hydroxychloroquine can do for your rheumatoid arthritis."

sunset0869 September 6, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I experienced a rash over my entire body about 2-3 weeks after starting taking this medicine. I don't really know if it would have worked for me or not."

new to sle (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "This medication worked great for me except for some stomach upset which was I tolerating because I wanted to stay off Prednisone. However, three weeks into taking the medication, I developed an allergy to it and broke out in hives all over my body. So I had to discontinue, sadly. Very sorry not to be able to take this medication as it seems the best one for controlling my Lupus with the least side effects."

Rosinavos July 23, 2014

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Been on hydroxychloroquine for 2 weeks now, yes nausea was an issue at first but easily resolved if you eat first. It has dramatically changed my quality of life I have more energy and in a year and a half I wake with no pain and stiffness."

bikerchick09 June 25, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I am only on Plaquenil a month now for primary Sjogren's Syndrome having been diagnosed in Jan 2014. So far I am feeling much better in that I am sleeping so much better. Before taking medication I would wake 5/6 times a night and found it difficult to go back to sleep now I only wake up once and go back almost immediately. This is the first thing that I have noticed and I know it is very early days as my Rheumatologist said it can take 2 months before any results."

reme June 7, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I have been taking 200mg of Plaquenil daily for 2yrs now. I still have many days a wk when my entire body hurts. My eye doctor cautioned me not to go to a higher dose for the protection of my eyes. Recently, my daughter noticed a film over half of one eye, which I could not see and my vision is generally not as clear. May not be the right medicine for me."

PBHi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I have been on this medication for about 12 years now. It seems to work very well but as the years have gone on it doesn't work quite as well as it used to. That's why I only rate it at an 8. There was a time when my insurance was messed up, and I didn't have the money to pay for my medications. I could definitely tell the difference when I was not on this medicine. I would definitely recommend it."

small town mom May 28, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis June 2013 at 39 years old. The pain was unbearable and debilitating. I started taking hydroxychloroquine 200 mg twice a day which didn't sit well in my stomach, extreme burning in the esophagus. Once I started using the brand name form of Plaquenil I no longer experience that side effect. I had my bouts of loose stool, nausea, and headaches for a few months but they have gone away. Plaquenil has done wonders for me, it does take a few months to really feel the benefits but hang in there it's worth the wait. My fingers don't feel like they are going to break off, I don't have pain all over my body and hurray no morning stiffness. I feel like a new woman. "

EveSantiago April 29, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed a month ago with rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor started me on Plaquenil 2 weeks ago. 300 mg 2x a day. I had to stop taking it after a week because it upset my stomach causing vomiting, nausea, and extreme diarrhea. My doctor tried lowering my dose to 150 mg 1x a day to no avail. I'm hoping that she can put me on something that will work better as I have been in extreme pain for over a year. I am 30 years old."

Stephanie R (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Dermatomyositis: "I have dermatomyositis. Plaquenil along with quinicrine treated my hand lesions which were very painful. This took about a year to accomplish. It's been about a year and a half now and I'm starting to react to one or both of the medications. I have a rash all over my body and ulcers and lichen planus in my mouth. I'm seeing my doctor shortly to see about this."

Lou 2 January 28, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Lyme Disease, Arthritis: "Plaquenil has been great for me. It has reduced the stiffness & swelling in hands & feet to almost nothing. Started at 200mg twice a day, and have since reduced to one time per day. I have a complete eye exam once a year to watch for possible retina side effects."

Jason K (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2014