User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 4 reviews 34 medications

Malaria 0 reviews 39 medications Not rated - Be the first
Malaria Prevention 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 99 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had very bad experiences with this medication . I now have permanent toxicity of my system and I also develop medically induced cataracts from this medication even though I have stopped taking the medication it will continue to try and rob me of my sight. eyes always swollen running very painful. every morning when I rise I look like a monster face full of fluid input all around my eyeslike a little Sacks of fluid. is there is help out there I would like some and I will like to know if there's a manufacturer lawsuit the information for this medication does not tell you about the damage that it does. now they are warning doctors to let patients know about this medication and the bad side effe and let them know if they want to take it."

cherired July 9, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed w/RA 2014, put on Plaquenil on 10/2014, I delayed starting it out of fear, in March when I finally saw an actual RA Dr. & received answers that made sense and felt reassured, I started taking 200mg 2 x day. Took as prescribed for about 2 months, during which time, I began having the worst constipation! Severe enough where that pain was unbearable! I am a regular person when it comes to BM's, always 1x day sometimes 2! But when I went to 3 days and NO movement, just cramping and sitting on the toilet praying this would be the day I get relief. To top it off, I was not feeling any better with my RA. I had no relief from pain, aches, stiffness, numbing, fire, inflammation, it wasn't working"

Tribme1 July 5, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Sjogrens approx 8 years ago. Rheumy started me on plaquenil and it helped with the tiredness and no energy for a while but it did not do anything for dry eyes/saliva at all so why take it. It is supposed to slow down the immune system so your problems aren't as bad..i.e. tears/saliva. But, I started getting bronchitis in Jan-April, took antibiotics, felt good for a week and then the next month it was back again. Dr. said stop plaquenill so your immune system can help you heal so when I stopped taking it I finally healed and haven't had bronchitis since so I decided I was not taking a drug that was not helping my sjogren's nor did I want to take a drug that slows down immune system to help me fight off whatever else."

CAVI (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I first went on Plaquenil in 2004, due to unbearable finger and wrist joint pain for 5 months, which was diagnosed as Lupus (after a sky-high ANA test and some other tests and diagnoses). I was told it would take 3-ish weeks to kick in, and it did, right on schedule. Almost overnight, I went from not able to hold a soda can or open a door to being 100 % pain free. I was on Plaquenil for 4 years, during which time I was in complete remission, so in 2008 I discontinued it. In 2015 Lupus reared its ugly head again, this time with Pleurisy. Got back on Plaquenil and after the requisite waiting time, it got the problem under control (not 100%; maybe 50 %). I love Plaquenil but my advice to others is to be very patient and give it time to work."

LarryF June 11, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Before starting this medication, I felt deathbed tired. In my forties, I was ready to go home to heaven, that's how awful I felt. After starting n 200 mg, within a few months, the joint pain was almost completely gone and fatigue somewhat better. Doc bumped me up to 400 mg and now I'm still tired, but don't sleep 16 hours a day anymore at least. It's a life saver. (My other doctors are freaked out by the medicine, and think it's the cause of my problems, but they should have seen me before I was on it. I thank God for this medication!)"

Sjogren'sGina May 27, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I have been on this medication for approximately 8 years. Before I started this medicine I was in terrible shape. With Sjogren's syndrome as my primary autoimmune disease and rheumatoid arthritis as my secondary autoimmune disease I was in terrible persistent pain, had terrible joint ache and was incapacitated for about four months before finally being diagnosed and given this. Along with steroids, this medicine, and some regular doses of ibuprofen I found I was able to be mobile again, to go back to work and have a quality life again. I have not found that being on the same the dosage has lessened it's effectiveness over the last 8. During major flares especially, it would be near impossible to have a good, healthy life."

SeattleN (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started hydroxychloroquine (200mg 2xdaily) Feb 2015. It is now May 2015 and I feel no relief. My rheumy keeps trying to taper me off prednisone but as soon as I get off I flare up again. I'm currently pregnant with twins so my options for treatment are pretty limited. Obviously everyone is different but this drug has not given me any relief at all. Dr will be starting me on methotrexate after pregnancy. I'm 28 diagnosed Nov 14"

ashby1987 May 16, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this medication a week ago and have had very vivid dreams. I used to wake up with rib and hip pain/stiffness. I also couldn't relax and lay in bed because my body just felt restless. I would say that on day 2, I woke up almost completely relaxed and nearly no stiffness. I also started taking Celebrex on the same day, so I'm not sure if it's the combination of the two or one or the other, but I feel so much better. I am a 31 year old female and mom of a 1.5 year old."

Vet mom May 1, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Feel so much better since being on Plaquenil since 2013. Always have reg eye tests. My inflammation level is only a 2 now and it was 39. Still feel a little tired now and then but I blame it on working 30 hrs a week. Hope this drug helps you too."

Mrs. S April 21, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I was diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis four years ago. The doctor told me to take hydroxychoroquine and told me to stick to that medicine or my lupus would return. Ever since then I have been doing great. I do have a few side affects but none of that matters to me because I got my childhood back. - Angel Aguillon 14yrs old 04/08/15"

Angelisback April 9, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "For the past 2 years I have had itching on my head. Can be any area of scalp. None on face. I take 50 mg of antihistimine every day, just to keep it mild. But it doesn't stop it. No redness, no dry scalp."

angelfever February 11, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I started taking this medication three months ago,November. The doctor told me it would take up to three months to work .After the first month the fatigue lessened.I didn't want to sleep all day long,I actually wanted to move.Soon after the occurrence of joint pain also lowered.It still hurts when I push myself to hard and on.rainy days but the pain isn't consistent anymore."

LaffyTaffy123 February 9, 2015

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Was unable to stand erect without pain and experienced constant tissue pain. After being on it for two months was essentially pain free and could stand erect."

Terry C January 26, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Its been a year and half on hydroxychloroquine at the high dose at first, which gave me brown urine, headache, and no appetite. Doc cut the dose in half, and I was okay, except for irritated tummy. I asked if I could again cut dose in half, which worked out to like 100mg a day. I felt like my old self, but doc thought too low dose. I turned down prednisone all together, and waited out the hydroxychloroquine. I saw the rheumatology doc the other day and took a list of concerns, he said not related to lupus...(burning skin in private area, tummy issues, brain fog, dry mouth at the front, and a few others). I had culture on urine and nothing...but bilirubin in urine and trace ketones too, so gonna double check that out. Rheumatology thinks I should go off this."

DeeGlp (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome 3 months ago. I also have rheumatoid Arthritis and Hashimotos. My rheumatologist prescribed Plaquenil in hopes to control all 3 conditions. I would say that Plaquenil has basically given me my life back. I suffer from debilitating joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and extreme anxiety. I had to quit working because as a high school teacher, brain fog and anxiety, are probably 2 of the worst things you should be dealing with when dealing with teenagers. I would give Plaquenil a 10, but I haven't been on it long enough to see the full effects. I continue to have more energy every day, I'm back to walking, as exercise, again and my joint pain is very well controlled."

Ohsooz (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I would recommend this to anyone. I was put on Plaquenil in April of 2012 for Lupus symptoms, constant pain( mostly in my legs) extreme fatigue and overall ill feeling. Within 2 months of taking Plaquenil the pain and fatigue had subsided, not completely but has greatly improved over the last year and half & my health and immune system has also improved and I went from being sick ALL the time to very rarely sick. It has been a Godsend for me. I wouldn't advise taking the medicine on an empty stomach it will make you sick & nauseous all day long."

osborne113 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I am a RN and have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disorder. I was initially very hesitant to start medication due to the side effects. I have been on the medicine for three years. I have had increased joint mobility and decreased swelling. I do have my eyes examined every six months. Glad I weighed my options and gave it a try."

chelle1989roses October 5, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Hydroxychloroquine for over a year. It has eased the pain in my hands for a while but the longer I am on this medication it is not working as well as it did. I am still having stiffness and pain in some joints. This is at 200mg x2 daily."

Kat45 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2014

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: "I have taken hydroxychloroquine for less than a month prescribed by my rheumatologist. As yet I see no improvement in arthritis symptoms but Dr. said it would take at least two months to see results. But like some of the others on this website I am experiencing thigh pain that is unbearable by afternoon and evening. It is almost impossible to navigate stairs. I did not have this pain before taking this."

Snookey (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 47 year old female who has suffered many years from chronic pain in joints! It's been along road to finally have a Dr. go out of his way to clearly confirm a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Its not even been a week yet since hydroxyoquine was introduced to part of my treatment! Wow! I not conquered this journey all the way yet but I will. This medicine has improved my ankle and finger joints pain. It's only been a week! Yes there are some minor side effects but compared to the pain I was in over a week ago its incredible! Rheumatologist is the key! Great Care and the combination of two others is improving my life one day at a time! Don't wait! Ask your rheumatologist today what hydroxychloroquine can do for your rheumatoid arthritis."

sunset0869 September 6, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I experienced a rash over my entire body about 2-3 weeks after starting taking this medicine. I don't really know if it would have worked for me or not."

new to sle (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "This medication worked great for me except for some stomach upset which was I tolerating because I wanted to stay off Prednisone. However, three weeks into taking the medication, I developed an allergy to it and broke out in hives all over my body. So I had to discontinue, sadly. Very sorry not to be able to take this medication as it seems the best one for controlling my Lupus with the least side effects."

Rosinavos July 23, 2014

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Been on hydroxychloroquine for 2 weeks now, yes nausea was an issue at first but easily resolved if you eat first. It has dramatically changed my quality of life I have more energy and in a year and a half I wake with no pain and stiffness."

bikerchick09 June 25, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I am only on Plaquenil a month now for primary Sjogren's Syndrome having been diagnosed in Jan 2014. So far I am feeling much better in that I am sleeping so much better. Before taking medication I would wake 5/6 times a night and found it difficult to go back to sleep now I only wake up once and go back almost immediately. This is the first thing that I have noticed and I know it is very early days as my Rheumatologist said it can take 2 months before any results."

reme June 7, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I have been taking 200mg of Plaquenil daily for 2yrs now. I still have many days a wk when my entire body hurts. My eye doctor cautioned me not to go to a higher dose for the protection of my eyes. Recently, my daughter noticed a film over half of one eye, which I could not see and my vision is generally not as clear. May not be the right medicine for me."

PBHi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2014