User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 4 reviews 34 medications

Undifferentiated Con...e Tissue Disease 8 reviews 2 medications

6.9
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 118 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I had only had a mild SLE flare about 30 years ago. I had plenty of the discoid lupus symptoms, but they were easily controlled with avoiding the sun and using sunscreens,especially in the last 20 years. I developed another auto-immune problem about 15 years ago.(gluten intolerance or or possible CD.) I ate the "gluten-free" Cheerios when they hit the shelves about 6 months ago, and almost killed myself, as they were not gluten free. This touched off a SLE flare of unbelievable proportions! Practically every joint in my body was hurting SO badly,and I had fever and fatigue and did not respond to NSAIDs. Placquenil has been my lifesaver! Adhering to an anti-inflammatory diet for a month helped, also. The price-worth it."

Barb-Also (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Plaquenil since 1996 when I was diagnosed with RA. When I was diagnosed I was in severe pain, unable to hold my infant child or drive. My rheumatologist injected me with steroids to get me immediate relief and started me on Plaquenil. I don't remember my initial dosage but I take 200mg once per day and have been in remission since 1996 and I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have regular eye exams and periodic screenings by a retinologist and my eyes have had no issues at all."

TJT1 January 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was told by my doctor that plaquenil would not work for my RA because my symptoms were too severe. However I didn't want to take the other more serious drugs, so I took this. It took a month before I noticed ANYTHING, and after two months I felt MUCH better. Now, a year into the drug I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO symptoms of RA. Give it time. It works."

HogFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with juvinel rheumatoid arthritis when I was 12, you name the medication.. I've been on it. I'm 28 now and this is the first drug to help me the most. Been on drug 6months."

Raychillie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I just got prescribed this medication and I'm scared to take it the side effects are scary I'm 35 had RA most of my life but just got diagnosed with it 7years now and I don't take pills I like natural treatments Smh"

pooh3201 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

For : "Although my tests came back negative for RA, my doctor did prescribe Plaquenil for the inflammation present in my system and the extreme pain and stiffness I was feeling in my hands at only 52. Right away, the nausea began along with terrible sleepiness. This only seemed to occur on my am dose though which debilitated me in the morning. I tried taking it earlier which helped. Then I did some digging and realized that the only difference was that I only take Melixicam in the morning. Reading the list here about the same interacting confirmed my suspicion. Once I stopped taking them at the same time, the nausea stopped. No more throwing up every morning! Because of side effects, I can't rate this high. But it's really helped my OA symptoms."

M...A...H November 24, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed with RA 3 years ago, was put on hydroxychloroquine 200mg 2xdaily. After 4 months nearly all my symptoms had gone! Then the hair loss started and about a year from onset I began to look like I had the mange; so, being a complete peacock I took myself off of the medication. Not a good idea, 2 years of being symptom free and I had forgotten how badly RA sucks! Four months passed and all of my symptoms returned, accompanied with a new symptom of chronic joint popping (and more discomfort and pain) in nearly every joint in my body! So, back to the hydroxychloroquine and hoping for the same relief acquired initially. I'm not ready to go Vin Diesel, so maybe I'll just invest in some baseball caps."

JC071 November 15, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Plaquenil for two months to treat newly diagnosed RA. The duration and intensity of the flares have been reduced, but I am still suffering with aches and swelling in my small joints and elbows. I have had mild nausea and am having my eyes monitored by my optometrist."

Science Teacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm on week 5 and it has certainly changed my life I was having constant flare ups in my hands. And my joint pain was so severe it was depressing I'm 43 yrs old and felt like I had a body of an 80 yr old I am doing so much better I've been on Celebrex twice a day for 4 yrs and constant cortisone meds but this plaquenil has helped me so much My only down fall I've noticed is that I'm tired after I take it other than that my pain has gone from constant to bearly any I get the odd day but usually triggered by cold weather and due to my osteo arthritis"

Karen mcdaniel November 8, 2015

For Dermatomyositis: "Overall good No side effects Have been taking drug for abt 3 yrs. Have not had a recurrent attack. Weight settled down at 100 pounds. Also have insilent dependant type 2 Diabetes. Was 20-30 lbs overweight all my life .. I have good muscle control but can no longer lift a 50# bag of anything . 25-30 # is my new limit. It's a new me and I'm good with that."

Flyboyzmama October 31, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started Plaquenil 8 months ago-200mg 2x/day- to treat Psoriatic arthritis and sjogrens. Learned to NOT take it in the morning with my Meloxicam 15mg because of strong nausea. If I take one after a big lunch and one after dinner, I have no problems at all. Joints and hands, wrists are doing so much better. One worry is that I am too tired to do anything at all. If I do laundry, I sweat. If I cook dinner or rake the yard, I sweat. I seem to even have trouble sleeping on my side at night because of trouble getting enough air into my lungs. Weird, I know. I rated it an 8 because I do not feel sick after taking it and it does seem to work. The last but not least worry is heavy hair loss. I have thin and fine hair anyway, but it comes out like crazy"

langteach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medication did wonders for my soreness and pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis but if someone would have told me I would have devastating and irreversible eye damage due to taking it, I would have chosen a different drug for sure (at least after the 5-7 year mark when it is known to cause major problems that will be with you for life!)"

cjgriff (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I started this med as I have both RA and Systemic Lupus. It did nothing for me and we added Methotrexate, still no benefit. Added Enbrel, no better. My eyesight was beginning to fail so I stopped all of them. My weight ballooned up by 25lbs!! I have found no mainline meds to help and had to turn to Traditional Chinese Medicine for relief. Works great for me. I am still hoping to find something in the regular vein of meds to help and not hurt me. My insurance will not cover the help of the Traditional Chinese Medicine that is helping. What's up with that?"

CTT October 13, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Annieoakley2 - if you are seeing this would like to chat... I am 61 and your post describes the exact same thing I am experiencing.... Wow!"

VAmomma (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 26, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I have been taking plaquenil for over 6 weeks to treat autoimmune hair loss. My hair and itchy scalp has not improved at all. In fact it was even worse for a few weeks. Now I'm getting sores all around my eyes with a cyst on my eyelid and an inflamed blood vessel. I called my rheumy today to ask for a switch. I'm very disappointed because it seemed like the best out of the bunch for side effects."

Amber4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had Lyme disease and a subsequent RA dx, I have been on Plaquenil for 7 months. 200mg 2x a day and now 1x day, It has helped a great deal. I was also taking Collagen and a few herbs for inflammation, I am doing much much better and able to do a lot of things I thought I never would again, I have occasional stiffness but it's hardly an issue,,, On the downside, I do have bad nightmares, not all the time but they are something I am not happy about, Anecdotally, they may be correlated to Alcohol, I occasionally get nausea and headaches as well but the headaches are mild and only once a week or so. Fingers crossed that the side effects diminish and that this drug keeps on keeping on,,, I am 55 ...best to you all D"

Dante21 September 9, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I have been taking hydroxychloroquine for 6 Years. I have primary sjogren's, hashimoto's. Before, I was tired all the time and could not lift a 3 lb dumbbell. Sometimes I could barely walk, my neck, knees, elbows, etc. we're always in pain. The bottoms of my feet hurt - I dreaded getting out of bed in the morning. Initially I took 2 of the 200 mg tabs/day. Years later this was cut to 100mg/day. 3 weeks ago -- at my request - doc let me cut it in half to 50 mg/day. I am 58 years old go to the gym 4-5 X/week. Yesterday I did chest press w/ 60 lbs, heaved 50 lb barbell over head, did rows with 90 lbs... I love plaquenil."

Annieoakley2 August 30, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I live in Uk and having all treatment under the National Health Service. I have RA, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, blepharitis and interstitial lung disease ! Blimey I hear you say quite rightly. I say it every day. I take hydroxychloraquine in conjunction with methatrexate and etanercept and they seem to work well together. However since my methatrexate was reduced ( due to continual chest infections ) I have notice recurrance of swelling and pain has increased. I am now on 80 mg of morphine ( MST slow release ) x 2 per day and oramorph ( instant effect morphine ) for breakout pain. Docs told me that they know the three meds work in conjunction with each other but they don't know why ! Who cares - give me the drugs. Hope this helps."

unamatrix0 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Was on this for three weeks when I noticed a mild rash. Stopped taking it but rash became much worse after 4 days.I had to go to A and E due to other symptoms. Diagnosed with an allergic reaction and prescribed Steroids and to continue with antihistamine. Took over a week to settle. This was disappointing as I was beginning to feel better, stiffness and tiredness was reducing. Now waiting to see Consultant to discuss other options."

Tiarnan August 25, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "It also took ten years to diagnose correctly. At first I took 2- 200 mgs of Plaquenil and it gave me an irregular heartbeat. Discontinued for a few weeks, then rheumy asked me to try again, one 200 mgm every other day. After six weeks had improvement in CRP and sed rate, even though the doc didn't expect any improvement on that low dose. Then he increased me to one pill each day. It did increase my migraines so he said to take it before bedtime with anti-anxiety drug. Side effect.....sleeping much better.....wonderful side effect. Occasionally I have to take Tylenol during night if headache wakes me up. Now I realize my extreme dry mouth seems slightly improved. Joint pain and foot pain is much better. HAPPY!"

jjmcc367 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had very bad experiences with this medication . I now have permanent toxicity of my system and I also develop medically induced cataracts from this medication even though I have stopped taking the medication it will continue to try and rob me of my sight. eyes always swollen running very painful. every morning when I rise I look like a monster face full of fluid input all around my eyeslike a little Sacks of fluid. is there is help out there I would like some and I will like to know if there's a manufacturer lawsuit the information for this medication does not tell you about the damage that it does. now they are warning doctors to let patients know about this medication and the bad side effe and let them know if they want to take it."

cherired July 9, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed w/RA 2014, put on Plaquenil on 10/2014, I delayed starting it out of fear, in March when I finally saw an actual RA Dr. & received answers that made sense and felt reassured, I started taking 200mg 2 x day. Took as prescribed for about 2 months, during which time, I began having the worst constipation! Severe enough where that pain was unbearable! I am a regular person when it comes to BM's, always 1x day sometimes 2! But when I went to 3 days and NO movement, just cramping and sitting on the toilet praying this would be the day I get relief. To top it off, I was not feeling any better with my RA. I had no relief from pain, aches, stiffness, numbing, fire, inflammation, it wasn't working"

Tribme1 July 5, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Sjogrens approx 8 years ago. Rheumy started me on plaquenil and it helped with the tiredness and no energy for a while but it did not do anything for dry eyes/saliva at all so why take it. It is supposed to slow down the immune system so your problems aren't as bad..i.e. tears/saliva. But, I started getting bronchitis in Jan-April, took antibiotics, felt good for a week and then the next month it was back again. Dr. said stop plaquenill so your immune system can help you heal so when I stopped taking it I finally healed and haven't had bronchitis since so I decided I was not taking a drug that was not helping my sjogren's nor did I want to take a drug that slows down immune system to help me fight off whatever else."

CAVI (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I first went on Plaquenil in 2004, due to unbearable finger and wrist joint pain for 5 months, which was diagnosed as Lupus (after a sky-high ANA test and some other tests and diagnoses). I was told it would take 3-ish weeks to kick in, and it did, right on schedule. Almost overnight, I went from not able to hold a soda can or open a door to being 100 % pain free. I was on Plaquenil for 4 years, during which time I was in complete remission, so in 2008 I discontinued it. In 2015 Lupus reared its ugly head again, this time with Pleurisy. Got back on Plaquenil and after the requisite waiting time, it got the problem under control (not 100%; maybe 50 %). I love Plaquenil but my advice to others is to be very patient and give it time to work."

LarryF June 11, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Before starting this medication, I felt deathbed tired. In my forties, I was ready to go home to heaven, that's how awful I felt. After starting n 200 mg, within a few months, the joint pain was almost completely gone and fatigue somewhat better. Doc bumped me up to 400 mg and now I'm still tired, but don't sleep 16 hours a day anymore at least. It's a life saver. (My other doctors are freaked out by the medicine, and think it's the cause of my problems, but they should have seen me before I was on it. I thank God for this medication!)"

Sjogren'sGina May 27, 2015