User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 3 reviews 46 medications

Malaria Prevention 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 72 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Review by Stephanie R (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was diagnosed a month ago with rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor started me on Plaquenil 2 weeks ago. 300 mg 2x a day. I had to stop taking it after a week because it upset my stomach causing vomiting, nausea, and extreme diarrhea. My doctor tried lowering my dose to 150 mg 1x a day to no avail. I'm hoping that she can put me on something that will work better as I have been in extreme pain for over a year. I am 30 years old.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 10:26 AM
Review by Lou 2: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Dermatomyositis: I have dermatomyositis. Plaquenil along with quinicrine treated my hand lesions which were very painful. This took about a year to accomplish. It's been about a year and a half now and I'm starting to react to one or both of the medications. I have a rash all over my body and ulcers and lichen planus in my mouth. I'm seeing my doctor shortly to see about this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2014 8:07 AM
Review by Jason K (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Lyme Disease, Arthritis: Plaquenil has been great for me. It has reduced the stiffness & swelling in hands & feet to almost nothing. Started at 200mg twice a day, and have since reduced to one time per day. I have a complete eye exam once a year to watch for possible retina side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 17, 2014 11:28 AM
Review by musicteach85 (taken for less than 1 month):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: I just started this medicine a few weeks ago. My rheumatologist told me that it could take up to 12 weeks to work. I have had stomach cramps, diarrhea, headaches, and worsening of symptoms in my joints. I am not going to give up on this. I don't really want to rate it because I have not been on it long enough. I wanted to comment so that others could possibly get some encouragement to hang in there if possible.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 29, 2013 1:46 PM
Review by One Who Knows (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Male 66 who has been on this drug for 10 years. Without it my life as I know it would be gone! Took about 3/4 months to fully work and change my blood chem. back to normal as it was WAY out. dsDNA rate last check was down to 70. Now I travel the world in remote areas, walk more than 5 miles in the jungle heat and feel like my old self (well as much as I can being another decade older) ;-)

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 29, 2013 8:15 PM
Review by Sjogren's Sufferer (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: I have been on Ranbaxy generic Plaquenil for 11 months now. I don't think think it helps me very much, but I continue to take it because I am not experiencing any side effects. My condition is not well-controlled with this drug alone and I will soon start an additional DMARD after recently finding out I am intolerant of MTX. My battle with Sjogren's has been so much more than glandular issues. It has attacked my biliary system, causing me to lose my gall bladder and have complex issues with the pyloric valve, lower esophageal sphincter and sphincter of oddi. This causes a variety of symptoms such as bile and acid reflux, bile salt diarrhea, nausea, vomiting up bile and right upper quadrant abdominal pain. I have signs of kidney disease too

October 23, 2013 1:29 PM
Review by Mamo 3: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have taken Paquenil for rheumatoid arthritis about 6 months now 200mg once a day. I cannot stress what a miracle this medicine has been for me. It was so good that some days I forgot I had rheumatoid arthritis altogether. No pains at all. The only drawback was that I was losing my hair and it became became very dry and brittle. Being a woman that scared me so I quit the medication only to have the pains come back again. I spoke to my doctor and he said try taking it 3 times a week instead of every day to see if it cuts down on the hair loss. What good is a full head of hair if you are stuck in the house and in constant pain. I'll take loosing a few locks to be able to live my life pain free.

September 3, 2013 10:00 AM
Review by Mike-222: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I developed and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in November of 2011. I went on hydroxychloroquine (400mg 1 x per day), and my bouts of inflammation have dramatically decreased both in frequency and severity. I have experienced no side effects, and I can't say enough good things about this medication. Prior to getting on hydroxychloroquine, the affected joint inflammation was so severe (pain index 10) that I could not move whatever joint was inflamed. After getting on this medication, my pain index during inflammation flareups has been a 1-2. I also take 800mg Ibuprofen, and the combination of these 2 medicines have worked very well for me. At 47 years old, I've been able to play ice hockey and soccer in adult leagues (gotta do it now before this gets worse).

July 18, 2013 9:49 PM
Review by The Law (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was told that I have rheumatoid arthritis a few months back. I have been on Plaquenil now for almost 2 months. It has helped with the pain in my hands and feet. I still have swollen fingers but am waiting for the full affects of the drug. I do not know how common this is but the side effect that I am having is hair loss. I am guessing it wouldn't be as bad if I was a male but being a female. I am hoping this stops after my body gets used to the medicine because I am very discouraged with that aspect.

July 2, 2013 10:00 PM
Review by Ninalitta:

hydroxychloroquine for Sjogren's Syndrome: Been on it for 6 weeks. I hate taking medicines, but I've noticed huge differences. Cautiously optimistic. Apparently need to take it for 6 months to see full benefits. No sun sensitivity, rash on chest smaller, dry eyes minimal, vaginal dryness gone, ear dryness gone, nasal dryness and sinus dryness gone. Never been so happy to have snot,.... Sinus pain gone ,....joint pain still significant, but connective tissue pain minimal, and body stone fatgue reduces by 75 percent. Occasional gastic stuff, but not debilitating like before. I feel human again But cant wait to reduce dose and get off of it.

May 27, 2013 1:35 AM
Review by lwinslow (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: Before Plaquenil, I would be in bed for days at a time, unable to move, excessive pain, ice cold, migraines, the whole gamut. My body felt ancient. At first the rheumatologist thought I had leukemia, then Lupus and rheumatoid athritis and finally biopsies started giving us a more refined treatment plan. With this medicine, I am in much less pain. I can walk for an hour at a time. I can shop for groceries again. I feel like I have a life again. I have had brief periods, never more than a month without it, and I know that life without the benefit of Plaquenil is no life at all. Yes, I have to see the retina specialist but in all this time, my eyes are fine. Don't hesitate to try it even though new treatments can be scary!

May 2, 2013 1:25 PM
Review by peanut61 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I had very few side effects with this medicine in the beginning, but it didn't provide enough relief on days when I had to be on my feet for a few hours a day. It didn't remove all inflammation so I was taken off and tried on methotrexate, a lot worse side effects and no relief at all. I had no vision changes with Plaquenil and I would much rather have some relief than none. I was able to function with minimum pain with Plaquenil.

April 16, 2013 1:30 AM
Review by RA Mom: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been taking Plaquenil for about 2 months. I started out with 200 mg/1x day along with Prednisone to treat my RA, slowly tapering off the steroids. Now I am just on Plaquenil. I have to say that the pain is still there, especially in the morning and late evening. Sometimes it is difficult to fall asleep, but I gave it a 6 because it is nothing like before when I took no medication. Perhaps it works better for others? I still have the swelling and stiffness in the mornings, but, as I said, nothing like before. It also only gets a 6 because the headaches I get while taking it are debilitating. I sometimes wonder if the trade off is worth it? They start about 30 minutes after taking it and last until I manage to fall asleep. Sigh.

March 9, 2013 12:19 PM
Review by ljks mommy: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Ive taken this on and off and for 7 years and it helps with my joint pain and hair loss. It just takes time so be patient. The fatigue is almost gone as well.

January 16, 2013 2:16 PM
Review by Daughter #5 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: My 19 yr old daughter was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis this past year...her inflammation markers were off the charts. She took meloxicam for a couple of months, but it really hurt her stomach to where she couldn't eat. They put her on Plaquenil about 6 months ago...she is doing great. Recently had blood work and her inflammation is almost all gone...no side effects for her. I hope this medicine can help other people.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 21, 2012 4:42 PM

hydroxychloroquine for Rheumatoid Arthritis: This is the fourth medication I have tried for rheumatoid arthritis. I took it for one week and developed headaches and severe diarrhea. I had blood in my stool. I have had similar experiences with other medications.

November 13, 2012 3:50 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Sjogren's Syndrome: I ignored my doctor for months when he wrote this prescription. I finally started it after an eye doctor lectured me because I was seeing him for an immune response eye infection. He gave me a good talking to and agree with rheumatologist that I do in fact have the Sjogren's. So I started it and I can't believe I wasted those months not taking it! It is the only thing that has helped me! The only issue I have is I have been on 200mg 2 tablets twice day for about 6 months, and now they decreased it to 1 tablet twice a day. I'm a little nervous of the decrease because I don't want all that pain back!

October 24, 2012 10:09 PM
Review by luster38: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in February 2012. Plaquenil has been the second medication we've tried. I've only taken it 1 week and have a horrible rash on both arms and on the backs of my legs. It has caused diarrhea and headaches. I have stopped taking this medication and am currently waiting to see what medication we will try next.

September 25, 2012 6:19 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Sjogren's Syndrome: I have been on generic hydroxychloroquine now for 2 years. I have primary Sjogrens and secondary diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Apparently I had Sjogrens for over 10-15 years before doctors figured it out. If the Fibromyaligia hadn't hit me 3 years ago I guess I would still be suffering. I take 200 mg twice a day and it has helped me so much. I use it with Savella for my Fibro pain. The only problem I have is a slight buzzing or ringing in my ears. But I can work full time and have a normal life. Still get occasional pain in feet and legs but all and all feel great.

September 10, 2012 6:56 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Sjogren's Syndrome: Been taking for 2 years. Can really tell a difference when I don't take both doses every day.

September 10, 2012 12:21 PM
Review by NC Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: My Rheumatologist prescribed this for my rheumatoid arthritis and it is like a miracle for me. For the first time in several years I actually feel like getting out and doing things without restrictions. The joint pain has lessened and my rash subsided! I do plan on making an appointment for an eye Dr. due to some irritations I recently have been experiencing. All in all, I would highly recommend Plaquenil and hope you can see and feel the difference.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 3, 2012 10:47 PM
Review by BLB2037 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine for Sjogren's Syndrome: I have noticed a marked decrease in fatigue. Very pleased with it. Also little or no pain in my joints. I have more energy now than before, I am going in to my third month of use.

June 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 11 years and have been taking 400 mg a day. It is now causing skin discoloration in my lower shin now grayish back. I will be going off this. Have had no eye problems while taking this medicine.

June 4, 2012 1:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: It has taken about 6 weeks for this medicine to work, the benefits have been subtle. I noticed that I have been able to do more, get out more and have even cut back on a dose of painkillers, my head is clearer - I just sort of feel different, not miraculously different or anything, but just more my normal self. I am still severely allergic to the sun or any UV exposure and can be sick for days if I am not careful or if I do too much but I do believe the Plaquenil has helped and I have been on it for 2 months now so look forward to further benefits from this medicine. Only side effects are erratic blood sugar, if I don't eat regularly I go hypo - badly hypo, although my doctor said he has never heard of this, so perhaps it isn't related.

February 26, 2012 12:26 AM
Review by Mrs. Boss Ross:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: For mild cases of lupus (meaning no organ involvement) I would say this works perfectly fine. Reduces fatigue and joint pain from a 10 to about a 2 depending on weather conditions. If you are active and maintain a healthy diet I would say fatigue and pain are at a nil while taking Plaquenil. It takes maybe a few months to get the dosages correct with your level of pain and fatigue.

February 19, 2012 12:33 AM
Page 1 2 3 Next

Got questions about Rheumatoid Arthritis? Get answers from our expert Dr. Carteron. Click Here