User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 4 reviews 46 medications

Malaria Prevention 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 83 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Review by chelle1989roses:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: I am a RN and have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disorder. I was initially very hesitant to start medication due to the side effects. I have been on the medicine for three years. I have had increased joint mobility and decreased swelling. I do have my eyes examined every six months. Glad I weighed my options and gave it a try.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Kat45 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on Hydroxychloroquine for over a year. It has eased the pain in my hands for a while but the longer I am on this medication it is not working as well as it did. I am still having stiffness and pain in some joints. This is at 200mg x2 daily.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Snookey (taken for less than 1 month):

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: I have taken hydroxychloroquine for less than a month prescribed by my rheumatologist. As yet I see no improvement in arthritis symptoms but Dr. said it would take at least two months to see results. But like some of the others on this website I am experiencing thigh pain that is unbearable by afternoon and evening. It is almost impossible to navigate stairs. I did not have this pain before taking this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 11:27 PM

Review by sunset0869:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I am 47 year old female who has suffered many years from chronic pain in joints! It's been along road to finally have a Dr. go out of his way to clearly confirm a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Its not even been a week yet since hydroxyoquine was introduced to part of my treatment! Wow! I not conquered this journey all the way yet but I will. This medicine has improved my ankle and finger joints pain. It's only been a week! Yes there are some minor side effects but compared to the pain I was in over a week ago its incredible! Rheumatologist is the key! Great Care and the combination of two others is improving my life one day at a time! Don't wait! Ask your rheumatologist today what hydroxychloroquine can do for your rheumatoid arthritis.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2014 1:08 PM

Review by new to sle (taken for less than 1 month):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: I experienced a rash over my entire body about 2-3 weeks after starting taking this medicine. I don't really know if it would have worked for me or not.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Rosinavos:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: This medication worked great for me except for some stomach upset which was I tolerating because I wanted to stay off Prednisone. However, three weeks into taking the medication, I developed an allergy to it and broke out in hives all over my body. So I had to discontinue, sadly. Very sorry not to be able to take this medication as it seems the best one for controlling my Lupus with the least side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by bikerchick09:

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: Been on hydroxychloroquine for 2 weeks now, yes nausea was an issue at first but easily resolved if you eat first. It has dramatically changed my quality of life I have more energy and in a year and a half I wake with no pain and stiffness.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 4:56 PM

Review by reme:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: I am only on Plaquenil a month now for primary Sjogren's Syndrome having been diagnosed in Jan 2014. So far I am feeling much better in that I am sleeping so much better. Before taking medication I would wake 5/6 times a night and found it difficult to go back to sleep now I only wake up once and go back almost immediately. This is the first thing that I have noticed and I know it is very early days as my Rheumatologist said it can take 2 months before any results.

June 7, 2014 11:14 AM

Review by PBHi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: I have been taking 200mg of Plaquenil daily for 2yrs now. I still have many days a wk when my entire body hurts. My eye doctor cautioned me not to go to a higher dose for the protection of my eyes. Recently, my daughter noticed a film over half of one eye, which I could not see and my vision is generally not as clear. May not be the right medicine for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by small town mom:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: I have been on this medication for about 12 years now. It seems to work very well but as the years have gone on it doesn't work quite as well as it used to. That's why I only rate it at an 8. There was a time when my insurance was messed up, and I didn't have the money to pay for my medications. I could definitely tell the difference when I was not on this medicine. I would definitely recommend it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by EveSantiago:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis June 2013 at 39 years old. The pain was unbearable and debilitating. I started taking hydroxychloroquine 200 mg twice a day which didn't sit well in my stomach, extreme burning in the esophagus. Once I started using the brand name form of Plaquenil I no longer experience that side effect. I had my bouts of loose stool, nausea, and headaches for a few months but they have gone away. Plaquenil has done wonders for me, it does take a few months to really feel the benefits but hang in there it's worth the wait. My fingers don't feel like they are going to break off, I don't have pain all over my body and hurray no morning stiffness. I feel like a new woman.

April 29, 2014 8:15 AM

Review by Stephanie R (taken for less than 1 month):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was diagnosed a month ago with rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor started me on Plaquenil 2 weeks ago. 300 mg 2x a day. I had to stop taking it after a week because it upset my stomach causing vomiting, nausea, and extreme diarrhea. My doctor tried lowering my dose to 150 mg 1x a day to no avail. I'm hoping that she can put me on something that will work better as I have been in extreme pain for over a year. I am 30 years old.

March 20, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Lou 2:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Dermatomyositis: I have dermatomyositis. Plaquenil along with quinicrine treated my hand lesions which were very painful. This took about a year to accomplish. It's been about a year and a half now and I'm starting to react to one or both of the medications. I have a rash all over my body and ulcers and lichen planus in my mouth. I'm seeing my doctor shortly to see about this.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 8:07 AM

Review by Jason K (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Lyme Disease, Arthritis: Plaquenil has been great for me. It has reduced the stiffness & swelling in hands & feet to almost nothing. Started at 200mg twice a day, and have since reduced to one time per day. I have a complete eye exam once a year to watch for possible retina side effects.

January 17, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by musicteach85 (taken for less than 1 month):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: I just started this medicine a few weeks ago. My rheumatologist told me that it could take up to 12 weeks to work. I have had stomach cramps, diarrhea, headaches, and worsening of symptoms in my joints. I am not going to give up on this. I don't really want to rate it because I have not been on it long enough. I wanted to comment so that others could possibly get some encouragement to hang in there if possible.

December 29, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by One Who Knows (taken for 10 years or more):

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Male 66 who has been on this drug for 10 years. Without it my life as I know it would be gone! Took about 3/4 months to fully work and change my blood chem. back to normal as it was WAY out. dsDNA rate last check was down to 70. Now I travel the world in remote areas, walk more than 5 miles in the jungle heat and feel like my old self (well as much as I can being another decade older) ;-)

October 29, 2013 8:15 PM

Review by Sjogren's Sufferer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: I have been on Ranbaxy generic Plaquenil for 11 months now. I don't think think it helps me very much, but I continue to take it because I am not experiencing any side effects. My condition is not well-controlled with this drug alone and I will soon start an additional DMARD after recently finding out I am intolerant of MTX. My battle with Sjogren's has been so much more than glandular issues. It has attacked my biliary system, causing me to lose my gall bladder and have complex issues with the pyloric valve, lower esophageal sphincter and sphincter of oddi. This causes a variety of symptoms such as bile and acid reflux, bile salt diarrhea, nausea, vomiting up bile and right upper quadrant abdominal pain. I have signs of kidney disease too

October 23, 2013 1:29 PM

Review by Mamo 3:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have taken Paquenil for rheumatoid arthritis about 6 months now 200mg once a day. I cannot stress what a miracle this medicine has been for me. It was so good that some days I forgot I had rheumatoid arthritis altogether. No pains at all. The only drawback was that I was losing my hair and it became became very dry and brittle. Being a woman that scared me so I quit the medication only to have the pains come back again. I spoke to my doctor and he said try taking it 3 times a week instead of every day to see if it cuts down on the hair loss. What good is a full head of hair if you are stuck in the house and in constant pain. I'll take loosing a few locks to be able to live my life pain free.

September 3, 2013 10:00 AM

Review by Mike-222:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I developed and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in November of 2011. I went on hydroxychloroquine (400mg 1 x per day), and my bouts of inflammation have dramatically decreased both in frequency and severity. I have experienced no side effects, and I can't say enough good things about this medication. Prior to getting on hydroxychloroquine, the affected joint inflammation was so severe (pain index 10) that I could not move whatever joint was inflamed. After getting on this medication, my pain index during inflammation flareups has been a 1-2. I also take 800mg Ibuprofen, and the combination of these 2 medicines have worked very well for me. At 47 years old, I've been able to play ice hockey and soccer in adult leagues (gotta do it now before this gets worse).

July 18, 2013 9:49 PM

Review by The Law (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was told that I have rheumatoid arthritis a few months back. I have been on Plaquenil now for almost 2 months. It has helped with the pain in my hands and feet. I still have swollen fingers but am waiting for the full affects of the drug. I do not know how common this is but the side effect that I am having is hair loss. I am guessing it wouldn't be as bad if I was a male but being a female. I am hoping this stops after my body gets used to the medicine because I am very discouraged with that aspect.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2013 10:00 PM

Review by Ninalitta:

For Sjogren's Syndrome: Been on it for 6 weeks. I hate taking medicines, but I've noticed huge differences. Cautiously optimistic. Apparently need to take it for 6 months to see full benefits. No sun sensitivity, rash on chest smaller, dry eyes minimal, vaginal dryness gone, ear dryness gone, nasal dryness and sinus dryness gone. Never been so happy to have snot,.... Sinus pain gone ,....joint pain still significant, but connective tissue pain minimal, and body stone fatgue reduces by 75 percent. Occasional gastic stuff, but not debilitating like before. I feel human again But cant wait to reduce dose and get off of it.

May 27, 2013 1:35 AM

Review by lwinslow (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: Before Plaquenil, I would be in bed for days at a time, unable to move, excessive pain, ice cold, migraines, the whole gamut. My body felt ancient. At first the rheumatologist thought I had leukemia, then Lupus and rheumatoid athritis and finally biopsies started giving us a more refined treatment plan. With this medicine, I am in much less pain. I can walk for an hour at a time. I can shop for groceries again. I feel like I have a life again. I have had brief periods, never more than a month without it, and I know that life without the benefit of Plaquenil is no life at all. Yes, I have to see the retina specialist but in all this time, my eyes are fine. Don't hesitate to try it even though new treatments can be scary!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by peanut61 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I had very few side effects with this medicine in the beginning, but it didn't provide enough relief on days when I had to be on my feet for a few hours a day. It didn't remove all inflammation so I was taken off and tried on methotrexate, a lot worse side effects and no relief at all. I had no vision changes with Plaquenil and I would much rather have some relief than none. I was able to function with minimum pain with Plaquenil.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 1:30 AM

Review by RA Mom:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been taking Plaquenil for about 2 months. I started out with 200 mg/1x day along with Prednisone to treat my RA, slowly tapering off the steroids. Now I am just on Plaquenil. I have to say that the pain is still there, especially in the morning and late evening. Sometimes it is difficult to fall asleep, but I gave it a 6 because it is nothing like before when I took no medication. Perhaps it works better for others? I still have the swelling and stiffness in the mornings, but, as I said, nothing like before. It also only gets a 6 because the headaches I get while taking it are debilitating. I sometimes wonder if the trade off is worth it? They start about 30 minutes after taking it and last until I manage to fall asleep. Sigh.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 12:19 PM

Review by ljks mommy:

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Ive taken this on and off and for 7 years and it helps with my joint pain and hair loss. It just takes time so be patient. The fatigue is almost gone as well.

January 16, 2013 2:16 PM