Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Hydroxychloroquine review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Review by One Who Knows (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: Male 66 who has been on this drug for 10 years. Without it my life as I know it would be gone! Took about 3/4 months to fully work and change my blood chem. back to normal as it was WAY out. dsDNA rate last check was down to 70. Now I travel the world in remote areas, walk more than 5 miles in the jungle heat and feel like my old self (well as much as I can being another decade older) ;-)

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 29, 2013 8:15 PM
Review by ljks mommy: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: Ive taken this on and off and for 7 years and it helps with my joint pain and hair loss. It just takes time so be patient. The fatigue is almost gone as well.

January 16, 2013 2:16 PM
Review by Mrs. Boss Ross:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): For mild cases of lupus (meaning no organ involvement) I would say this works perfectly fine. Reduces fatigue and joint pain from a 10 to about a 2 depending on weather conditions. If you are active and maintain a healthy diet I would say fatigue and pain are at a nil while taking Plaquenil. It takes maybe a few months to get the dosages correct with your level of pain and fatigue.

February 19, 2012 12:33 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I was diagnosed with Discoid lupus in 2009 and I began using Plaquenil once I stopped breastfeeding. Initially, the only difference I noticed was my hair stopped falling out. After taking Plaquenil for a less than a year my face and neck started turning black. My dermatologist is convinced that Plaquenil is the culprit and just recently confirmed it. Between my rheumatologist and dermatologist they're trying to find the right medicine that will work. I've been using bleaching creams for about 9 months and they haven't worked well. I tried to come off Plaquenil but I experience bad headaches and hair loss.

December 24, 2011 7:11 PM
Review by preocupada: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I love this medicine. It has helped so much with the arthritic pain. No side effects for me. I have eye check ups every six months. Give a try!

December 10, 2011 5:16 PM
Review by pandorascrow: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: I am taking hydroxychloroquine for Lupus...I was on the medicine originally for 4 weeks...had the mood swings...they leveled out. Then random ear ringing in my left ear. Doctor discontinued which bummed me out. The rash on my cheek almost vanished and when I went off the medicine it came right back along with all the joint and muscle pain. Upon review doctor is letting me take half pill for 3 weeks then if all well boost up to one versus 1 1/2. I don't know the connection to the ears but the way I felt and looked was worth a little random ring. I am hoping for the best.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 25, 2011 1:08 PM
Review by Jesse88: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): The only reason I gave Plaquenil a 9 instead of a 10 is because I still need Imuran as well. Plaquenil is a great medicine but it's important to have your eyes examined every 6-12 months to check for a RARE side effect of eye damage.

November 16, 2010 6:39 AM
Review by Estella2:

hydroxychloroquine: I took this medicine for 9 years and then stopped, blaming it for my gastrointestinal problems. I didn't start it again until 6 years later when I had a flare up with very high sed rate and swelling of ankle joint. I then agreed to start it again. I feel so much better. My skin which was getting really scary, but not Lupus plaques, has improved. I regret discontinuing the use of Plaquenil. I could kick myself. I also have my peripheral vision checked 2 X yearly.

September 8, 2010 1:50 PM
Review by louis lane: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: Have been on this medicine for ten years. Had a lot of the side effects but compared to what I was like before it is still worth taking.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 11, 2010 11:13 AM
Review by KULA:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): This medicine gave my life back. No side effects. Can go up and down stairs again. I have been taking plaquenil since 1994.

June 4, 2010 5:08 PM
Review by Kgilette: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: I was diagnosed with Lupus, along with rheumatoid arthritis. I started taking this medication about 4 weeks ago and over time it has minimized the inflammation I was experiencing, along with the chronic pain in my hips and knees. I never thought I could say that I am about 80% out of pain which is a miracle! For me, taking it with food is a must. Have a little stomach cramping but I CAN tolerate that. So far, so good.

April 27, 2010 12:12 PM
Review by Special I guess: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: I started this drug for Discoid lupus. It made me insane. I would fly into rages at small things, later I would melt on the floor in tears. Scared my daughters - 18 and 21. I quit taking this drug after 3 weeks.

November 10, 2009 5:00 PM
Review by Feeling Better: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: Since starting this medication in conjunction with prednisone I am able to work an 8 hour day again.

May 28, 2009 8:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: I haven't had any increase in energy but my sed rate is lower and my renal functions tests are better.

April 28, 2009 1:35 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

hydroxychloroquine: I've had a great experience with this medicine. It's something that I've been taking since I was diagnosed in September 2007. One thing you have to keep in mind is that you HAVE to have your eyes checked at least twice a year.

March 6, 2009 7:28 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): Taking this drug now in conjunction with methotrexate and it is really helping to improve my symptoms.

August 19, 2008 8:13 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): Been taking for one week. Too soon to tell if it will work but long enough to learn that taking it with fatty food such as peanut butter or cream cheese lessens the stomach discomfort - for me anyway.

July 31, 2008 1:16 AM
Review by deziner: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I have been on this medication since February 2008. I have more energy and less fatigue. I still have my days, but this medication is a God send. Initially, my hair began to thin, but with supplements and proper hydration for my hair, it has levelled and is beginning to thicken again. If you are taking this medicine and have some of the side effects, please give it some time. I am glad I did.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 5, 2008 7:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I have had lupus 6 years and have been taking plaquenil since then and I have had no side effects. This medication has really helped me to have a normal life again.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 29, 2008 11:13 AM
Review by a new me: User Rating:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): This drug gave me back my life. I suffered with chronic cyclical arthritis that felt like it was in every joint. The fatigue was devastating. Even if I slept for hours I still woke up feeling no better. I was scared to take this drug but eventually I had to do something. Thankfully, I have no side effects. I only have very occasional arthritis and am no longer tired. It has given me back my life. I do have my eyes checked 2x/yr.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2008 9:38 PM