User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Hydroxychloroquine review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 344 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Review by EveSantiago:

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis June 2013 at 39 years old. The pain was unbearable and debilitating. I started taking hydroxychloroquine 200 mg twice a day which didn't sit well in my stomach, extreme burning in the esophagus. Once I started using the brand name form of Plaquenil I no longer experience that side effect. I had my bouts of loose stool, nausea, and headaches for a few months but they have gone away. Plaquenil has done wonders for me, it does take a few months to really feel the benefits but hang in there it's worth the wait. My fingers don't feel like they are going to break off, I don't have pain all over my body and hurray no morning stiffness. I feel like a new woman.

April 29, 2014 8:15 AM

Review by Stephanie R (taken for less than 1 month):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I was diagnosed a month ago with rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor started me on Plaquenil 2 weeks ago. 300 mg 2x a day. I had to stop taking it after a week because it upset my stomach causing vomiting, nausea, and extreme diarrhea. My doctor tried lowering my dose to 150 mg 1x a day to no avail. I'm hoping that she can put me on something that will work better as I have been in extreme pain for over a year. I am 30 years old.

March 20, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Mamo 3:

I have taken Paquenil for rheumatoid arthritis about 6 months now 200mg once a day. I cannot stress what a miracle this medicine has been for me. It was so good that some days I forgot I had rheumatoid arthritis altogether. No pains at all. The only drawback was that I was losing my hair and it became became very dry and brittle. Being a woman that scared me so I quit the medication only to have the pains come back again. I spoke to my doctor and he said try taking it 3 times a week instead of every day to see if it cuts down on the hair loss. What good is a full head of hair if you are stuck in the house and in constant pain. I'll take loosing a few locks to be able to live my life pain free.

September 3, 2013 10:00 AM

Review by Mike-222:

I developed and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in November of 2011. I went on hydroxychloroquine (400mg 1 x per day), and my bouts of inflammation have dramatically decreased both in frequency and severity. I have experienced no side effects, and I can't say enough good things about this medication. Prior to getting on hydroxychloroquine, the affected joint inflammation was so severe (pain index 10) that I could not move whatever joint was inflamed. After getting on this medication, my pain index during inflammation flareups has been a 1-2. I also take 800mg Ibuprofen, and the combination of these 2 medicines have worked very well for me. At 47 years old, I've been able to play ice hockey and soccer in adult leagues (gotta do it now before this gets worse).

July 18, 2013 9:49 PM

Review by The Law (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I was told that I have rheumatoid arthritis a few months back. I have been on Plaquenil now for almost 2 months. It has helped with the pain in my hands and feet. I still have swollen fingers but am waiting for the full affects of the drug. I do not know how common this is but the side effect that I am having is hair loss. I am guessing it wouldn't be as bad if I was a male but being a female. I am hoping this stops after my body gets used to the medicine because I am very discouraged with that aspect.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2013 10:00 PM

Review by peanut61 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I had very few side effects with this medicine in the beginning, but it didn't provide enough relief on days when I had to be on my feet for a few hours a day. It didn't remove all inflammation so I was taken off and tried on methotrexate, a lot worse side effects and no relief at all. I had no vision changes with Plaquenil and I would much rather have some relief than none. I was able to function with minimum pain with Plaquenil.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 1:30 AM

Review by RA Mom:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I have been taking Plaquenil for about 2 months. I started out with 200 mg/1x day along with Prednisone to treat my RA, slowly tapering off the steroids. Now I am just on Plaquenil. I have to say that the pain is still there, especially in the morning and late evening. Sometimes it is difficult to fall asleep, but I gave it a 6 because it is nothing like before when I took no medication. Perhaps it works better for others? I still have the swelling and stiffness in the mornings, but, as I said, nothing like before. It also only gets a 6 because the headaches I get while taking it are debilitating. I sometimes wonder if the trade off is worth it? They start about 30 minutes after taking it and last until I manage to fall asleep. Sigh.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 12:19 PM

Review by Daughter #5 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): My 19 yr old daughter was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis this past year...her inflammation markers were off the charts. She took meloxicam for a couple of months, but it really hurt her stomach to where she couldn't eat. They put her on Plaquenil about 6 months ago...she is doing great. Recently had blood work and her inflammation is almost all gone...no side effects for her. I hope this medicine can help other people.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2012 4:42 PM

This is the fourth medication I have tried for rheumatoid arthritis. I took it for one week and developed headaches and severe diarrhea. I had blood in my stool. I have had similar experiences with other medications.

November 13, 2012 3:50 PM

Review by luster38:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in February 2012. Plaquenil has been the second medication we've tried. I've only taken it 1 week and have a horrible rash on both arms and on the backs of my legs. It has caused diarrhea and headaches. I have stopped taking this medication and am currently waiting to see what medication we will try next.

September 25, 2012 6:19 AM

Review by NC Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): My Rheumatologist prescribed this for my rheumatoid arthritis and it is like a miracle for me. For the first time in several years I actually feel like getting out and doing things without restrictions. The joint pain has lessened and my rash subsided! I do plan on making an appointment for an eye Dr. due to some irritations I recently have been experiencing. All in all, I would highly recommend Plaquenil and hope you can see and feel the difference.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2012 10:47 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 11 years and have been taking 400 mg a day. It is now causing skin discoloration in my lower shin now grayish back. I will be going off this. Have had no eye problems while taking this medicine.

June 4, 2012 1:55 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): The doctor tried it twice for my rheumatoid arthritis and it didn't help at all after taking it for 6 months.

September 3, 2011 9:18 AM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I have been on Plaquenil for 11 months. It took 6 months to the day for it to start working and then, heaven set in. The pain diminished significantly. I have a flare up now, for the first time and wondering what to do. I've taken Aleeve, but no luck. I only seem to have a flare up during that particular time of the month, maybe something to do with water retention or hormones. Only side effect so far is upset stomach, take with food and in the middle of the day and much better.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2011 9:34 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): Ineffective with my advanced disease. Tried it because I've run out of options.

May 11, 2011 5:06 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I was diagnosed with RA in October 2010 and have been on Plaquenil (200mg 2x/day) and Celebrex (200mg/day) for 3 months now. I've noticed a slight improvement in my hands and fingers as far as morning/evening swelling goes but the stiffness and pain still persist. I go back to see the RA doc next week and am hoping he can either increase the dose or add something else to the mix because I'm still not feeling all that great.

January 9, 2011 9:14 PM

I have been on hydroxychloroquine 200 mg for 4 weeks. I can't believe how good I feel. I have rheumatoid arthritis. The tired and aching joints and welts on my body from has subsided. I feel like dancing. I still have a dull pain on top of my head. I have not felt this good in 2 yrs. Good thing.

November 12, 2010 10:31 AM

I had pain in my knees, feet, wrists, elbows and shoulders. Sitting down and then getting up again was quite painful, some days I could walk only very slowly. After 8 weeks of taking hydroxychloroquine and meloxicam, I felt much better, but my joints were still somewhat swollen. My rheumatologist was ready to put me on stronger medication. I asked to give it a while longer before taking that step, since I felt so much improved. After 4 months of tracking my progress, the doctor now says I won't need the stronger medicines. The hydroxychloroquine was just very slow acting for me. I am very glad my doctor was willing to work with me, and I recommend patience with this medicine. By the way, I've experienced no side effects to date.

October 31, 2010 12:41 AM

Review by mfried2001:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): Plaquenil has changed my life! I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis three months ago. My rheumotologist started me on this 200mg twice a day and after about a week I noticed a dramatic effect in my hands and feet. I used to wake up in the morning with swollen hands and feet and it took about a half an hour for the swelling/pain to subside. No longer is this true! I am 37 years old and finally have enough energy to keep up with my 4 children and busy husband. I sleep better, feel more focused in the daytime, and do not get tired from doing small tasks anymore. I am hoping to reduce my dosage and see if I can still get the same results.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2010 1:28 AM

Review by ohmiachinashe:

I have been taking hydroxychloroquine for 3 years. It took a few months before I really noticed a difference but now, I am almost pain free. I take it with leflunomide, it wasn't working by itself. I have not had any serious side effects. I get my blood checked every 2-3 months and my eyes checked twice a year. I have a flare up now and then but they are nowhere near as painful as they used to be.

July 1, 2010 2:42 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I began taking Plaquenil 6 weeks ago and I am pleased with it. I'm now seeing the benefits and my Rheumatologist says that I should continue to get even better over the next 3 months. Honestly I'm okay with where I'm already at. The biggest surprise is that I'm receiving benefits that I didn't get from 20mg/day of Prednisone! The hardest part was when I first began Plaquenil. You initially experience side effects without any benefit but you just have to hang in there. The side effects start to improve significantly after 2 weeks. My side effects were nausea, loose stools, vomiting and temporary changes in vision (full eye exam confirmed that everything is fine.) I would highly recommend this medicine!

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2010 1:35 PM

Review by harleyhoney2130:

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): This helped a lot at first, but I have been on this medicine for 7 years now. I think I may need something more now.

October 20, 2009 4:06 PM

Review by Kittyp:

I was diagnosed with sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis in 1998. Plaquenil quickly helped the swelling and pain in my hands, wrists, and elbows. After 4 years, a new doctor questioned whether I really had RA, and she took me off Plaquenil. Less than two years later, my hands seemed to freeze up, and I actually wore splints because of the pain. A new rheumatologist quickly put me back on Plaquenil. I have my eyes checked by a retina specialist twice a year. My only pain now is osteoarthritis in my knees and back, and I exercise and take occasional anti-inflammatories for that. I am grateful to Plaquenil when I remember how bad my pain and the swelling were before Plaquenil.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2009 6:39 PM

Review by tdkeand:

I spent 10 years trying to get my rheumatoid arthritis (RA) diagnosed - it runs in my family - but because I was considered "young" (in my 20s) when the pain started, and because it started in my shoulders (just like my mother), numerous doctors didn't think it was RA. Finally, a Naval doctor diagnosed it and added Plaquenil when Mobic alone was not alleviating my symptoms. Since being on both, I have had very few flares. I have now been seeing a rheumatologist, and to eliminate the remaining flares, he has since added sulfasalazine and I have been pain free for over 1 year now.

February 18, 2009 4:44 PM

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): I've been on this medicine since I was 12. I'm now 21. I have yet to experience any major side effects. Just recently I've noticed that it upsets my stomach if I don't eat with it but I guess it's because my doctor just upped the dose because I gained weight.

December 31, 2008 12:27 AM