User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 331 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been on Plaquenil since 1996 when I was diagnosed with RA. When I was diagnosed I was in severe pain, unable to hold my infant child or drive. My rheumatologist injected me with steroids to get me immediate relief and started me on Plaquenil. I don't remember my initial dosage but I take 200mg once per day and have been in remission since 1996 and I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have regular eye exams and periodic screenings by a retinologist and my eyes have had no issues at all."

TJT1 January 22, 2016

"I was told by my doctor that plaquenil would not work for my RA because my symptoms were too severe. However I didn't want to take the other more serious drugs, so I took this. It took a month before I noticed ANYTHING, and after two months I felt MUCH better. Now, a year into the drug I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO symptoms of RA. Give it time. It works."

HogFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2015

"I was diagnosed with juvinel rheumatoid arthritis when I was 12, you name the medication.. I've been on it. I'm 28 now and this is the first drug to help me the most. Been on drug 6months."

Raychillie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

"I just got prescribed this medication and I'm scared to take it the side effects are scary I'm 35 had RA most of my life but just got diagnosed with it 7years now and I don't take pills I like natural treatments Smh"

pooh3201 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

"Diagnosed with RA 3 years ago, was put on hydroxychloroquine 200mg 2xdaily. After 4 months nearly all my symptoms had gone! Then the hair loss started and about a year from onset I began to look like I had the mange; so, being a complete peacock I took myself off of the medication. Not a good idea, 2 years of being symptom free and I had forgotten how badly RA sucks! Four months passed and all of my symptoms returned, accompanied with a new symptom of chronic joint popping (and more discomfort and pain) in nearly every joint in my body! So, back to the hydroxychloroquine and hoping for the same relief acquired initially. I'm not ready to go Vin Diesel, so maybe I'll just invest in some baseball caps."

JC071 November 15, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been on Plaquenil for two months to treat newly diagnosed RA. The duration and intensity of the flares have been reduced, but I am still suffering with aches and swelling in my small joints and elbows. I have had mild nausea and am having my eyes monitored by my optometrist."

Science Teacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

"I'm on week 5 and it has certainly changed my life I was having constant flare ups in my hands. And my joint pain was so severe it was depressing I'm 43 yrs old and felt like I had a body of an 80 yr old I am doing so much better I've been on Celebrex twice a day for 4 yrs and constant cortisone meds but this plaquenil has helped me so much My only down fall I've noticed is that I'm tired after I take it other than that my pain has gone from constant to bearly any I get the odd day but usually triggered by cold weather and due to my osteo arthritis"

Karen mcdaniel November 8, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "Started Plaquenil 8 months ago-200mg 2x/day- to treat Psoriatic arthritis and sjogrens. Learned to NOT take it in the morning with my Meloxicam 15mg because of strong nausea. If I take one after a big lunch and one after dinner, I have no problems at all. Joints and hands, wrists are doing so much better. One worry is that I am too tired to do anything at all. If I do laundry, I sweat. If I cook dinner or rake the yard, I sweat. I seem to even have trouble sleeping on my side at night because of trouble getting enough air into my lungs. Weird, I know. I rated it an 8 because I do not feel sick after taking it and it does seem to work. The last but not least worry is heavy hair loss. I have thin and fine hair anyway, but it comes out like crazy"

langteach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "This medication did wonders for my soreness and pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis but if someone would have told me I would have devastating and irreversible eye damage due to taking it, I would have chosen a different drug for sure (at least after the 5-7 year mark when it is known to cause major problems that will be with you for life!)"

cjgriff (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I had Lyme disease and a subsequent RA dx, I have been on Plaquenil for 7 months. 200mg 2x a day and now 1x day, It has helped a great deal. I was also taking Collagen and a few herbs for inflammation, I am doing much much better and able to do a lot of things I thought I never would again, I have occasional stiffness but it's hardly an issue,,, On the downside, I do have bad nightmares, not all the time but they are something I am not happy about, Anecdotally, they may be correlated to Alcohol, I occasionally get nausea and headaches as well but the headaches are mild and only once a week or so. Fingers crossed that the side effects diminish and that this drug keeps on keeping on,,, I am 55 ...best to you all D"

Dante21 September 9, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I live in Uk and having all treatment under the National Health Service. I have RA, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, blepharitis and interstitial lung disease ! Blimey I hear you say quite rightly. I say it every day. I take hydroxychloraquine in conjunction with methatrexate and etanercept and they seem to work well together. However since my methatrexate was reduced ( due to continual chest infections ) I have notice recurrance of swelling and pain has increased. I am now on 80 mg of morphine ( MST slow release ) x 2 per day and oramorph ( instant effect morphine ) for breakout pain. Docs told me that they know the three meds work in conjunction with each other but they don't know why ! Who cares - give me the drugs. Hope this helps."

unamatrix0 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2015

"Was on this for three weeks when I noticed a mild rash. Stopped taking it but rash became much worse after 4 days.I had to go to A and E due to other symptoms. Diagnosed with an allergic reaction and prescribed Steroids and to continue with antihistamine. Took over a week to settle. This was disappointing as I was beginning to feel better, stiffness and tiredness was reducing. Now waiting to see Consultant to discuss other options."

Tiarnan August 25, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I had very bad experiences with this medication . I now have permanent toxicity of my system and I also develop medically induced cataracts from this medication even though I have stopped taking the medication it will continue to try and rob me of my sight. eyes always swollen running very painful. every morning when I rise I look like a monster face full of fluid input all around my eyeslike a little Sacks of fluid. is there is help out there I would like some and I will like to know if there's a manufacturer lawsuit the information for this medication does not tell you about the damage that it does. now they are warning doctors to let patients know about this medication and the bad side effe and let them know if they want to take it."

cherired July 9, 2015

"I was diagnosed w/RA 2014, put on Plaquenil on 10/2014, I delayed starting it out of fear, in March when I finally saw an actual RA Dr. & received answers that made sense and felt reassured, I started taking 200mg 2 x day. Took as prescribed for about 2 months, during which time, I began having the worst constipation! Severe enough where that pain was unbearable! I am a regular person when it comes to BM's, always 1x day sometimes 2! But when I went to 3 days and NO movement, just cramping and sitting on the toilet praying this would be the day I get relief. To top it off, I was not feeling any better with my RA. I had no relief from pain, aches, stiffness, numbing, fire, inflammation, it wasn't working"

Tribme1 July 5, 2015

"I started hydroxychloroquine (200mg 2xdaily) Feb 2015. It is now May 2015 and I feel no relief. My rheumy keeps trying to taper me off prednisone but as soon as I get off I flare up again. I'm currently pregnant with twins so my options for treatment are pretty limited. Obviously everyone is different but this drug has not given me any relief at all. Dr will be starting me on methotrexate after pregnancy. I'm 28 diagnosed Nov 14"

ashby1987 May 16, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I started this medication a week ago and have had very vivid dreams. I used to wake up with rib and hip pain/stiffness. I also couldn't relax and lay in bed because my body just felt restless. I would say that on day 2, I woke up almost completely relaxed and nearly no stiffness. I also started taking Celebrex on the same day, so I'm not sure if it's the combination of the two or one or the other, but I feel so much better. I am a 31 year old female and mom of a 1.5 year old."

Vet mom May 1, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "Feel so much better since being on Plaquenil since 2013. Always have reg eye tests. My inflammation level is only a 2 now and it was 39. Still feel a little tired now and then but I blame it on working 30 hrs a week. Hope this drug helps you too."

Mrs. S April 21, 2015

"I have been on Hydroxychloroquine for over a year. It has eased the pain in my hands for a while but the longer I am on this medication it is not working as well as it did. I am still having stiffness and pain in some joints. This is at 200mg x2 daily."

Kat45 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2014

"I am 47 year old female who has suffered many years from chronic pain in joints! It's been along road to finally have a Dr. go out of his way to clearly confirm a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Its not even been a week yet since hydroxyoquine was introduced to part of my treatment! Wow! I not conquered this journey all the way yet but I will. This medicine has improved my ankle and finger joints pain. It's only been a week! Yes there are some minor side effects but compared to the pain I was in over a week ago its incredible! Rheumatologist is the key! Great Care and the combination of two others is improving my life one day at a time! Don't wait! Ask your rheumatologist today what hydroxychloroquine can do for your rheumatoid arthritis."

sunset0869 September 6, 2014

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis June 2013 at 39 years old. The pain was unbearable and debilitating. I started taking hydroxychloroquine 200 mg twice a day which didn't sit well in my stomach, extreme burning in the esophagus. Once I started using the brand name form of Plaquenil I no longer experience that side effect. I had my bouts of loose stool, nausea, and headaches for a few months but they have gone away. Plaquenil has done wonders for me, it does take a few months to really feel the benefits but hang in there it's worth the wait. My fingers don't feel like they are going to break off, I don't have pain all over my body and hurray no morning stiffness. I feel like a new woman. "

EveSantiago April 29, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I was diagnosed a month ago with rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor started me on Plaquenil 2 weeks ago. 300 mg 2x a day. I had to stop taking it after a week because it upset my stomach causing vomiting, nausea, and extreme diarrhea. My doctor tried lowering my dose to 150 mg 1x a day to no avail. I'm hoping that she can put me on something that will work better as I have been in extreme pain for over a year. I am 30 years old."

Stephanie R (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken Paquenil for rheumatoid arthritis about 6 months now 200mg once a day. I cannot stress what a miracle this medicine has been for me. It was so good that some days I forgot I had rheumatoid arthritis altogether. No pains at all. The only drawback was that I was losing my hair and it became became very dry and brittle. Being a woman that scared me so I quit the medication only to have the pains come back again. I spoke to my doctor and he said try taking it 3 times a week instead of every day to see if it cuts down on the hair loss. What good is a full head of hair if you are stuck in the house and in constant pain. I'll take loosing a few locks to be able to live my life pain free."

Mamo 3 September 3, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I developed and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in November of 2011. I went on hydroxychloroquine (400mg 1 x per day), and my bouts of inflammation have dramatically decreased both in frequency and severity. I have experienced no side effects, and I can't say enough good things about this medication. Prior to getting on hydroxychloroquine, the affected joint inflammation was so severe (pain index 10) that I could not move whatever joint was inflamed. After getting on this medication, my pain index during inflammation flareups has been a 1-2. I also take 800mg Ibuprofen, and the combination of these 2 medicines have worked very well for me. At 47 years old, I've been able to play ice hockey and soccer in adult leagues (gotta do it now before this gets worse)."

Mike-222 July 18, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I was told that I have rheumatoid arthritis a few months back. I have been on Plaquenil now for almost 2 months. It has helped with the pain in my hands and feet. I still have swollen fingers but am waiting for the full affects of the drug. I do not know how common this is but the side effect that I am having is hair loss. I am guessing it wouldn't be as bad if I was a male but being a female. I am hoping this stops after my body gets used to the medicine because I am very discouraged with that aspect."

The Law (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2013

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I had very few side effects with this medicine in the beginning, but it didn't provide enough relief on days when I had to be on my feet for a few hours a day. It didn't remove all inflammation so I was taken off and tried on methotrexate, a lot worse side effects and no relief at all. I had no vision changes with Plaquenil and I would much rather have some relief than none. I was able to function with minimum pain with Plaquenil."

peanut61 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2013

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate