User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril

Also known as: Prinzide, Zestoretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril.

Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"was taking benazepril 40mg two times a day. My Dad was taking this so I tried it. Works great. I've found that if I split the dose 20-12.5 in two parts, half in morning and half in evening, it works best. 120/70. NO SIDE EFFECTS."

Christofer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

"It works good."

p dog July 10, 2014

"I am 56. I have partied a lot having grown up in LA and Hawaii. Lifestyle payback is high blood pressure. I ignored all drs advice because I was going to the gym everyday and surfing and trail running. But I started a new job and have Kaiser. The nurse took my blood pressure. Her eyes betrayed her calm...she took me aside and asked if I drank. Yes, a lot of red wine. She didn't even want me to go to lobby and wait and asked if I wanted to wait in doc's office. I guess my blood pressure freaked her out, like 180/100. Anyway he talked into 12.5 lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide and said take 1/2 tab a day. Unreal! In one day my blood pressure, I take it at home, was in the 117/75 range. Immediate gratification."

SFGiant (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2014

"My blood pressure was 170/100. Doctor gave me a 10mg per day prescription and within hours of taking the first pill, my BP was 108/70. I was super lightheaded for the first 4 days when I walked, and I have an occasional cough. After 6 weeks of hovering around 117/79, I reduced myself to 5 mg per day, and my BP is now 102/77 as of today. I eat healthy and walk an average of 5 miles every day for exercise but remain stubbornly overweight."

Ekokai (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2013

"The only problems I had were frequent trips to the restroom but my blood pressure is under control and I've never experienced any of the things people are complaining about. I would say try it and if you don't like it or react badly try one of the many other options."

Lyleminn August 16, 2013

"I have been on this medication for several years now. I have none of the side effects that others speak of. My blood pressure is consistantly in the normal range. Very happy with it. I'm 45"

Allen in Dallas (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2013

"I am presently on Lisinopril HCTZ and for a while I was doing well then I got upped from 10/12.5 to 20/25 and within a month of using I have headaches, dizziness, nausea, the cough *sometimes to the point of falling over* I can't seem to make my brain work the way I need it to, and my whole body hurts. My blood pressure is down, no question about that, but this is freaking me out."

timberwulff April 4, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Minor: For about an hour after taking I have to pee a lot. MAJOR: Sometimes very bad foot pain/cramps to point of hardly being able to walk. I take this and amlodipine for high BP & it works."

trigvie January 1, 2013

"Lisinopril 10 for 1 day, plus thyroid medicine and not eating or drinking enough, so I blacked out. Dr couldn't get blood pressure because it was too low. Pain in shoulders, stuffy nose, hard swallowing, cramp in foot. Dr said to wait 3-5 days then start with half dose."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2012

"The only side effect that might be causing a problem for me is that I cannot keep my potassium in proper range while on this medication. It is wonderful for my blood pressure, but I do need to drink lots of water with this medicine to stay hydrated."

Wordybirdie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2012

"Side effects included coughing--at night, during the day. Just no control over it. I was on a half a dose regimen, and with exercise and diet, my blood pressure was dropping."

Anonymous April 25, 2012

"I'm 52, my doctor prescribed 20/12.5 twice a day. I alternate dosages...take twice a day 3 times per week then one a day other 4 days. My blood pressure is 104/72. I want to be able to take it only once a day soon! I believe it will happen. What makes this medicine work for me is that I am active by exercising 6 days per week (weight training and cardio 4 days per wk, 1 day kickboxing and 1 day just walking). I believe that if you get plenty of cardio work for heart/blood circulation it will do what it supposed to do without really experiencing all of the bad side effects. The only side effect I experienced is a slight sore throat once in a while."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

"My MD wanted me to take Lisinopril rather than Lotensin, for some reason. It sure worked well in lowering blood pressure but the side effects were a pain in the neck. I was taking 20/25 mg and was dizzy, headachy, awfully tired all the time, stomach upset, aching all day in my feet so that I could hardly walk, as well as other side effects. On my own I cut it down in half and feel much better. My blood pressure is still on the low side, but these miserable side effects have finally let up. Guess I'd better tell the doctor. "

Deezie December 28, 2011

"Was on Toprol for a long time and was having to constantly increase the dosage. My doctor switched me to this and I immediately noted a great balance of blood pressure. Went from 145/98 to 127/78 (ish). Only side effects I have noted are ones that are easily cured with water intake. I get the cough and am lethargic and dizzy when working in the yard (I live in Texas so it's a billion degrees outside). Both of these however are mitigated with increased water intake. I drink flavored water throughout the day and these side effects have subsided. Very happy with this medicine."

Shards August 20, 2011

"I have been taking Lisinoprol 20/HCTZ12.5 for about a year now. I took it before and then switched medicines because of the coughing side effect of the Lisinopril. The new medicine did not provide the same results so I switched back. I have the cough off and on, sometimes it is pretty strong for a few minutes. It goes away and recently has been minimal. The only other side effect I notice is dizziness or light headedness sometimes. I started taking the pill late morning after eating breakfast. The side effects seem to be much better for the most part."

5150 June 17, 2011

"Good medicine no problems at all. "

chrisbray February 18, 2011

"Since starting this medicine a year ago blood pressure has been a steady 120/70 almost every time. However I have noticed that if I have a cold I will get a little light headed for about 1-3 hours after taking Lisinopril. But not enough of a problem to slow me down much."

schapy November 7, 2010

Zestoretic (hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril): "Been taking Zestoretic 10/12.5 for a few weeks now and it has done a great job at reducing my BP to where I want it (not too high, not too low), but just a couple of weeks ago I was thinking of giving it up because of the constant annoying cough. It went from a tickle to downright chest discomfort. But for some reason that I can't explain the coughing eased up ( didn't do anything different) to the point where I can tolerate it. Hopefully some day it will be gone for good."

pookie5353 May 27, 2010

"I was recently switched to Lisinopril 20mg/ HCTZ 12.5 mg from Tekturna HCT because my insurance no longer covered the Tekturna. After 2 months of taking nothing my blood pressure went from 176/104 to 108/68 taking the lisinopril/HCTZ. Very mild side effects i.e an occasional cough but nothing alarming. So, I'm pleased with the switch although I was very irritated about the insurance company's unwillingness to keep me on the Tekturna HCT which worked well for me also."

Anonymous December 12, 2009

"Although Lisinopril-Hydrochlorothiazide worked very well for lowering my blood pressure and not causing swelling there were some problems that have caused me to seek a different solution to my high BP. The first thing that occurred was sudden, painful night leg cramps. This happened each night from 1 to 5 times. I also had new painful attacks of arthritis in my toes and instep. I also had warnings of kidney stone formation and crystals in my urine. Finally, I experienced heaviness in my legs that made it difficult to walk quickly."

foxy1 December 9, 2009

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took this medicine for several months. There definitely was a cough, it also affected my sinuses. Then I started developing headaches. I thought it was viral in nature but this continued on for 2 months. Then my hair started to fall out and I stopped taking this medicine. Took several days for it to leave my system and I feel much better without it."

Anonymous November 5, 2009

Zestoretic (hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril): "Initially I had to get used to the dizzy feeling after standing up too quickly. I rise slower now. I combat the mild dry mouth and cough by drinking lots of water. The diuretic effect, plus my coffee and water intake in the morning, makes me wish I could move my cubicle into the bathroom. That effect tapers off during the day."

TCTommyG October 7, 2009

"I've been on this medicine for 3 months and have experienced no adverse effects. My blood pressure was 180/95 and now stays steady at 126/80. It did take a few days to adjust to it, but overall I find it beneficial."

Anonymous August 27, 2009

Prinzide (hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril): "I have been taking this medicine since age 46. I am now 60. Although I have had a steadily increasing dose over the years (now 20/25 twice/day), my pressure has been controlled from an initial 155/90 to its present 125/80. I have had virtually no side effects, although due to the high dosage of hydrochlorothiazide, I have to be careful not to overdue the sun exposure."

Anonymous August 23, 2009

Zestoretic (hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril): "I do very good on this medicine. I started out at higher dose. I am now down to 5mgs. I am 76 years young. I stopped smoking in October 4, 2007."

Anonymous February 28, 2009