User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

"Taking for 2 mths. I have had some side effects...in the beginning just overall weird feeling, exhaustion, wake up feeling like I hadn't slept, dry mouth, headaches, at the one month mark I started getting bad indigestion (now I take an acid reducer pill and half glass of milk). But they almost all have gone away and now I feel great! The anger, the negative thinking, the impulsive verbal reactions, the depression, the anxiety...all gone. This was hugely affecting my relationship (he almost walked away) and work life too. My relationship is now in the best place ever and I am happy going in to work. The little things do not bother me like they did before. I do not have blunted feelings and I have not lost my sex drive! Hang in there!"

FeelingBetterNow (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2015

"I was prescribed Fluoxetine 20mg for 2 weeks of the month and it has changed my life. The first week I had some nasty side effects - kept waking at night, nightmares, nausea, generally spaced out and tired - but also some more welcome ones - loss of appetite and really wanted to exercise. I barely noticed my period coming that first month. For the first time in as long as I could remember I didn't hate everyone or want to cry, and I was able to have normal social encounters without complete paranoia setting in! It was like I had got my old self back. 9 months in now, I am quite happily still taking them. Definitely worth trying if you do get really bad PMS."

Worthatry May 19, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After suffering for some time with PMT I decided I couldn't continue the way I was as it was interfering with my personal life aswel as my work life. I spoke to my GP who offered me some different options, Prozac being one of them. At that point I felt I couldn't carry on the way I was so gave Prozac a try. I've been on it for around 6 weeks now and already feel 'normal' again. I don't feel anxious or hate myself. It seems to have cleared my thoughts. It's still early but it's definatly helped me get back to my old self."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "A renowned medication to help PMDD, but barely helped me. Helped with my anxiety and depression quite well (despite lack of emotion), but always got hormonal monthly, which was confusing. It actually made some symptoms worse. On Lexapro now, so hopefully that helps!"

Danika2602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I have suffered from PMS or PMDD most of my life. It was such a horrible experience for me that I would have crying spells; have arguments with people; I would shut down at work or would have to take at least 1 day off during the week of my period. I tried several different birth controls but they didn't work so I finally asked for Prozac after hearing it did wonders for a co worker. Ive been on it one month; my cycle came on today (TMI) and I still feel great! I can't believe it!!"

ZC April 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Where do I begin....wow this medicine has really given me my life back! I truly felt like I was loosing my mind before I started taking this. I am in my late 30's, and for the past couple years I have tried several other medications for my severe mood swings (PMS). Being a mother of 3, with a husband, and working as a full time critical care nurse, I needed my life back!! My doctor said she had been going back to the "old faithful" Prozac for a lot of her patients. And boy am I glad I finally tried this one! I haven't had any of the crazy side effects I was scared of, and I feel calmer, happier, and not so socially awkward. I'm only on 20mg, but I feel wonderful with this."

Nurse76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am 22 and have been taking prozac for almost two months now. Before I started taking it, my life was a wreck. There were only two weeks out of every month when I felt semi-normal/happy. The rest of the time, I was miserable. I would lay in my bed and cry, thinking my life was ending for no reason. There was nothing bad happening in my life, but my mind would make me think everyone hated me and that I was disgusting. I was overemotional all the time and constantly to torturing myself with sad thoughts. I put off going to see a psychiatrist for so long because of the stigma. I regret it so much. Had I gone on this medication sooner, so many of my relationships could have been saved and I could have been truly enjoying my life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2015

"This medicine is life changing. Was always so angry around getting my period. Mood swings, crazy thoughts, like wanting to leave my husband for no reason. It saved my marriage, so much happier now. It's a blessing."

Hilifechanged (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2015

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I am totally shocked, but it actually worked. Extremely well. If only I had discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend...."

Tiffanee123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2015

"I can't believe it, but this actually worked. No more crazy breakdowns before my period that damage my life irreparably. If only I'd discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend."

Tiffers1 January 3, 2015

"I was prescribed fluoxetine for premenstrual dysphoric disorder. For the last 5 years I took Remeron for depression, in which did nothing to help with PMDD. I gained 60 lbs within a 3 month period of being on it. Well 2 months ago my doctor switched me to 10 mg fluoxetine. The side effects were a nightmare for the first two weeks. Excessive drowsiness, nausea, increased anxiety especially in the morning, diarrhea, completely lost my appetite. Well I'm glad I hung in there because the side effects went away, my mood improved tremendously, and on top of that I lost 20 lbs in the first 1.5 months. My appetite has improved. Very happy about the weight loss, but I feel that 20mg would be a little more effective in treating PMDD symptoms. Overall its great."

Supermom77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2014

"Was prescribed fluoxetine and have been taking for about 6 months. Was prescribed this for my perimenopause moodiness. Everyone was getting on my nerves I just wanted to scream every time one of my co-workers asked me a simple question. This has been life changing for me, things don't bother me like they did before. I wish I would have told my Gyn about my moodiness with PMS would have been nice to take this for that."

ljj2014 November 26, 2014

"I told my OBGYN that I was having a lot of depression and Rage associated with PMS (heightened by life stress). She recommended fluoxetine for the time between ovulation and when my period starts. I started that day (perfect timing). The side effects that first cycle were extreme. I was exhausted, sweating more, LOW/NO sex drive, couldn't achieve orgasm, numb emotions, but I read online that these subside over time {AND THEY HAVE}. I have gone through 7 cycles with the medication. I hope to reduce from 20mg to 10mg and have done reduced some my first 6 days to 10mg and 20 mg the remaining. It is working well for me and allowing me some emotional freedom to get back to exercising, etc. I am grateful for this medication! So is hubby."

LL_CO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2014

"I have lived with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for almost 3 decades. I was prescribed this wonderful pill to help me and I adore it! My flow is now moderate to light for the first time since I started my cycle. I no longer have nausea inducing back cramps and my cycle has shortened from 6.5 days to 4.5 - 5 days. Even better, my irritability has decreased and the Hulk no longer screams and runs from me in terror when I have my period. It is a relief to be free of uncontrollable irritability, awful cramps, heavy flow and depression. "

Sarcastra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2014

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for most of my life but wasn't aware that's what I was going through. Just last month got diagnosed FINALLY and I am a totally new person on the Sarafem. Not different in terms of my personality. Just who I am without all the rage and mood swings. My relationships with my husband and kids is drastically improved. I did have some sleeplessness in the first week but other than that, no side effects. It has changed my life. I look forward to actually living now. I don't like resorting to medicine right away. But I really wish I would have considered this sooner."

mamajen June 5, 2014

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I have been on medication for over 20 years to help with my mood and anxiety. Some I stayed on for a few years and then I would change. Some even less because of side effects. I went on Sarafem after doing my own research and asked the Dr to prescribe it 2 months ago. Thank goodness he did because this is the first time in as far back as I can remember that I actually feel happy every day. Less mood swings. I don%u2019t let things bother me as much as I did before. I am honestly a happier person now. This stuff honestly has changed my life."

AmandaDA March 6, 2014

"After having tried everything available - natural/diet/hormonal - fluoxetine is the only thing that combats my severe PMS. Downside is complete lack of sex drive and blunted emotions. Going to try to reduce from 20mg every day to 2 weeks before period. "

Debra9007 February 10, 2014

"Great for the PMDD but at what cost? My other emotions are blunted. My ability to love is blunted. My libido is gone. My husband is miserable. I have tried stopping and I got so emotional and crazy, I had to resume. I have tried only 10 mg a day, every other day, and still the side effects. I am going to back off further. It is truly a balancing act. I wish I could say something better. It helps."

Ebol (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2014

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I have been suffering from PMDD for years now. As I am getting older, symptoms like tender breasts, bloating, crazy cravings, fatigue, moodiness, crying, anger, have become stronger. I finally decided to talk to my obgyn about this and see if that's normal PMS or is it more serious.. She prescribed Sarafem and now I have been taking it for 2 months. I, the person that's against all drugs, am a changed person. Every day of the month my mood is the same.. I don't have any side effects most people above me stated. If you think at all that you might be suffering from PMDD, talk to your physician. It really helped me get myself back."

JecM January 18, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "One week ago I started Prozac and side effects have been bad for me. Fatigue, headaches, body ache, forgetful, sleepy, nightmares, yawning. My Doc told me to give it another week. Hopefully everything will work out. I am tired of PMS."

zfly (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2014

"I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder ever since I had my period. I would cry for no reason, lose focus at work, get anxiety attacks. It affected my daily life with mood swings, I would be this way for around 14 days before starting my actual period. The doctor prescribed me fluoxetine 10 mg to take 14 days before my period. I had taken Prozac in the past for what I thought was depression which was really bad PMS PMDD. So I took the Prozac for 14 days before my period and I was feeling much better. Prozac truly does help."

Pascal83 November 25, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications."

College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2013

"I've suffered most of my life with a condition I thought was just one of those things. My mother took me to the doctor when I was in my teens and asked her to do something with me. In those days I was given Vit B complex, which did nothing. In my 40s the condition worsened again, and thinking nothing could be done, I ignored it. Out of sheer desperation and knowing that this really can't be normal, I approached my GP and was put on this medication. I didn't think it would work, it's an anti-depressant, how much difference could it make? I'm 2 months in and I wish I'd gone to my GP years ago. If you are reading this and wondering about this medication, then please at least try it. I have my life back and I love it."

Scottie Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2013

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I have been on Fluoxetine (Generic for Sarafem) for exactly 2 years. This medication changed my life. I was hesitant to take it (or any medication like it) because I thought I was going to feel numb to my feelings/emotions and be a completely different person. I have been suffering from depression & PPMD for as long as I can remember. My doctor never picked up on it and I never realized how much it was affecting my life. I was moody, irritable, had no patience. I would cry for no reason, have panic attacks for no reason. I would wake up in the morning with that empty/dreadful feeling. Everyday was a struggle. Some days were much worse than others. I feel SO much better now. I really wish I started taking this sooner."

Virgo85 October 29, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for 3 months now. Mainly taking it to reduce PMS symptoms and it is working. The first few weeks I felt really tired, not hungry, and just all over weird. After the first month, those side effects subsided. I have not gained any weight and do not have those "moments of rage" I would get before my period. I don't plan on being on it forever but I will take it as long as I see fit."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2013