User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Review by LL_CO (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I told my OBGYN that I was having a lot of depression and Rage associated with PMS (heightened by life stress). She recommended fluoxetine for the time between ovulation and when my period starts. I started that day (perfect timing). The side effects that first cycle were extreme. I was exhausted, sweating more, LOW/NO sex drive, couldn't achieve orgasm, numb emotions, but I read online that these subside over time {AND THEY HAVE}. I have gone through 7 cycles with the medication. I hope to reduce from 20mg to 10mg and have done reduced some my first 6 days to 10mg and 20 mg the remaining. It is working well for me and allowing me some emotional freedom to get back to exercising, etc. I am grateful for this medication! So is hubby.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sarcastra (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have lived with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for almost 3 decades. I was prescribed this wonderful pill to help me and I adore it! My flow is now moderate to light for the first time since I started my cycle. I no longer have nausea inducing back cramps and my cycle has shortened from 6.5 days to 4.5 - 5 days. Even better, my irritability has decreased and the Hulk no longer screams and runs from me in terror when I have my period. It is a relief to be free of uncontrollable irritability, awful cramps, heavy flow and depression.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by mamajen:

Sarafem (fluoxetine): I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for most of my life but wasn't aware that's what I was going through. Just last month got diagnosed FINALLY and I am a totally new person on the Sarafem. Not different in terms of my personality. Just who I am without all the rage and mood swings. My relationships with my husband and kids is drastically improved. I did have some sleeplessness in the first week but other than that, no side effects. It has changed my life. I look forward to actually living now. I don't like resorting to medicine right away. But I really wish I would have considered this sooner.

June 5, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by AmandaDA:

Sarafem (fluoxetine): I have been on medication for over 20 years to help with my mood and anxiety. Some I stayed on for a few years and then I would change. Some even less because of side effects. I went on Sarafem after doing my own research and asked the Dr to prescribe it 2 months ago. Thank goodness he did because this is the first time in as far back as I can remember that I actually feel happy every day. Less mood swings. I don%u2019t let things bother me as much as I did before. I am honestly a happier person now. This stuff honestly has changed my life.

March 6, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by Debra9007:

After having tried everything available - natural/diet/hormonal - fluoxetine is the only thing that combats my severe PMS. Downside is complete lack of sex drive and blunted emotions. Going to try to reduce from 20mg every day to 2 weeks before period.

February 10, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by Ebol (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Great for the PMDD but at what cost? My other emotions are blunted. My ability to love is blunted. My libido is gone. My husband is miserable. I have tried stopping and I got so emotional and crazy, I had to resume. I have tried only 10 mg a day, every other day, and still the side effects. I am going to back off further. It is truly a balancing act. I wish I could say something better. It helps.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by JecM:

Sarafem (fluoxetine): I have been suffering from PMDD for years now. As I am getting older, symptoms like tender breasts, bloating, crazy cravings, fatigue, moodiness, crying, anger, have become stronger. I finally decided to talk to my obgyn about this and see if that's normal PMS or is it more serious.. She prescribed Sarafem and now I have been taking it for 2 months. I, the person that's against all drugs, am a changed person. Every day of the month my mood is the same.. I don't have any side effects most people above me stated. If you think at all that you might be suffering from PMDD, talk to your physician. It really helped me get myself back.

January 18, 2014 9:57 AM

Review by zfly (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): One week ago I started Prozac and side effects have been bad for me. Fatigue, headaches, body ache, forgetful, sleepy, nightmares, yawning. My Doc told me to give it another week. Hopefully everything will work out. I am tired of PMS.

January 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Pascal83:

I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder ever since I had my period. I would cry for no reason, lose focus at work, get anxiety attacks. It affected my daily life with mood swings, I would be this way for around 14 days before starting my actual period. The doctor prescribed me fluoxetine 10 mg to take 14 days before my period. I had taken Prozac in the past for what I thought was depression which was really bad PMS PMDD. So I took the Prozac for 14 days before my period and I was feeling much better. Prozac truly does help.

November 25, 2013 2:17 AM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications.

November 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by Scottie Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've suffered most of my life with a condition I thought was just one of those things. My mother took me to the doctor when I was in my teens and asked her to do something with me. In those days I was given Vit B complex, which did nothing. In my 40s the condition worsened again, and thinking nothing could be done, I ignored it. Out of sheer desperation and knowing that this really can't be normal, I approached my GP and was put on this medication. I didn't think it would work, it's an anti-depressant, how much difference could it make? I'm 2 months in and I wish I'd gone to my GP years ago. If you are reading this and wondering about this medication, then please at least try it. I have my life back and I love it.

November 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by Virgo85:

Sarafem (fluoxetine): I have been on Fluoxetine (Generic for Sarafem) for exactly 2 years. This medication changed my life. I was hesitant to take it (or any medication like it) because I thought I was going to feel numb to my feelings/emotions and be a completely different person. I have been suffering from depression & PPMD for as long as I can remember. My doctor never picked up on it and I never realized how much it was affecting my life. I was moody, irritable, had no patience. I would cry for no reason, have panic attacks for no reason. I would wake up in the morning with that empty/dreadful feeling. Everyday was a struggle. Some days were much worse than others. I feel SO much better now. I really wish I started taking this sooner.

October 29, 2013 11:00 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this medication for 3 months now. Mainly taking it to reduce PMS symptoms and it is working. The first few weeks I felt really tired, not hungry, and just all over weird. After the first month, those side effects subsided. I have not gained any weight and do not have those "moments of rage" I would get before my period. I don't plan on being on it forever but I will take it as long as I see fit.

October 15, 2013 11:51 AM

Review by madison mom:

I have been taking 20 mg of Prozac for about five years for my premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It has changed my life and I will never quit taking it. Before, I was quick to fly off the handle. Ironically, I dreaded weekends because my family stressed me out so much. I'm embarrassed to admit was not a very pleasant employee/coworker. I noticed a difference after about a month of taking it when I realized that I'm a different person - for the better. When I first started taking it I was waking up at about 4 am every morning but that has gone away. I still don't always sleep very well but my understanding is that happens to everyone when they get older!

September 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Gambit:

Sarafem (fluoxetine): My OBGYN gave me this for Premenstrual dysphoric disorder and it took me a while to actually take it because of the stigma that goes along with taking Prozac. I WISH I had taken it sooner as it has made such a difference. I have more patience, I don%u2019t get angry as much and am happier than I have ever been. I originally was prescribed it for 14 days a month (2 weeks before my period), but it has been so helpful that I am taking it every day. I take 20mg in the morning. The first couple of weeks I had a hard time sleeping. I would wake up in the middle of the night and couldn%u2019t fall back to sleep. That went away and I have no other side effects. I know so many people who should be taking this. Someone mentioned that it should be in the water and I agree!

May 22, 2013 1:26 PM

Review by Sixela29 (taken for 10 years or more):

Sarafem (fluoxetine): Sarafem should be in the water. Have suffered from depression my whole life. Never knew how bad it was until I started to take Sarafem. Started at 20mg I am at 40mg today. Have tried to decrease dose or come off completely, usually blaming weight gain & tiredness on it, but it was not worth it. Very little weight gain and my tiredness never went away. I have been on Sarafem for over 10 years. If anything it saved my marriage! Take each night before bed & have the script written for the brand name...there is a difference!

April 8, 2013 6:50 PM

Review by Sherri1336 (taken for less than 1 month):

Sarafem (fluoxetine): Been on the medicine for a week now. Had partial hysterectomy and have been going through menopause 8 yrs now. Ovary/hormone symptoms been tougher to deal with this past 2-3 months. One positive so far, appetite has decreased (usually increases at this time). Had been taking Viibryd for about 5-6 months now; told to stop taking it while taking this medicine; luckily no withdrawal since stopping Viibryd (knock on wood) depression has not worsened. Hoping that more positive things come of taking this PMDD medicine.

March 25, 2013 10:11 AM

Review by Tinalange (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Love it! Best thing I've tried! Would have gotten a divorce without it! Side effects are minimal and so worth it!

March 3, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by Danephew (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Taking Prozac for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder is a miracle! But when I hit forty it really got worse.. especially at period time, my thoughts were so messed up, I would think things that I knew wasn't normal and cry because of the most ridiculous reasons or just non- stop crying for no reason. Irritated beyond expression and like my body was on speed. But all out of my control, I could not get in control of my moods or thoughts. So last year at my Gyno appointment I mentioned this bizarre experience I would have prior to my periods! She explains PDD and prescribed Prozac. I take mine 14 days prior and every other day or every third day because it makes me feel draggy! Just depends how it affects me that month. I take it before I go to bed. Works great! New life!

March 2, 2013 8:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Caused sweating, headache.

July 20, 2012 1:33 PM

Review by Jen6837 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Sarafem (fluoxetine): I have severe PMDD and Sarafem has been a God send! Being 40 and already going through the change made it worse! I take 20 mg each night before bed and have noticed the total difference. More laughing less mood swings. I would definitely recommend.

July 11, 2012 12:16 AM

Review by jules7111:

Sarafem (fluoxetine): At age 30 obgyn prescribed Sarafem for PMDD.. made a huge difference.. went through life changing events, a death, divorce, and was at the bottom and had quit taking the medicine. Symptoms got worse at age 50 changed obygyns (had no issues with my 1st obgyn, but just wanted a female dr) and she read me the riot act.. Pre-menopause.. and last yr confirmed menopause. It absolutely makes a huge difference in my life. I laugh every day. Don't stop taking it if you have no side effects. I don't fly off the handle still get moody occasionally, but nothing more than a little venting with a friend can't cure.

March 1, 2012 6:57 PM

Sarafem (fluoxetine): I was given Sarafem to help with moodiness and rage during a few weeks out of the month. I took it for 2 days and cannot get off the couch. I am so drowsy. I took a low dosage.

December 4, 2011 12:16 PM

Sarafem (fluoxetine): Premenstrual dysphoric disorder made being in my own head miserable. I have been on Sarafem for three months now and the difference is amazing. My husband has noticed that I am calmer and less emotional over trivial things since I started taking it. I feel that I am more able to cope with daily life in the two weeks of the month that used to give me uncontrollable anxiety and anger issues. I have noticed a few side effects including some loss of appetite and a bit of sleeplessness the first few weeks of taking Sarafem but the benefits definitely outweigh these drawbacks.

September 4, 2011 3:22 PM

Review by macky nurse:

I am in my late 40's. Had bad mood dips for my whole life 3-5 days before my cycle. Bad enough to think about divorce and feel that life was utterly black and hopeless every month, then swinging back to everything being fine a few days later. I finally got up the guts to talk to a gyn about it. Fluoxetine has changed my whole family life. I finally feel able to reasonably handle the normal rhythm of things. If any one wonders if their mood swings are bad enough to take something to help, I advise you to talk to your provider and give Prozac a try. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

May 1, 2011 10:22 AM