User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"I'd suffered from anxiety and depression for many, many years. The anxiety led to trouble sleeping, which made me depressed. I was focussing on the negatives in my life and my circle of friends was shrinking. I began to feel worthless. I am a musician but also a software engineer, a job that is secure and pays well but gives me no satisfaction. I took fluoxetine in 2004 when stress at work brought my anxiety to a head. I also used Zolpidem to sleep. I kept up this pattern for a couple of years, quitting Prozac and re-starting regularly. In October 2012 my sleep became awful and I was regularly just walking out of work because I couldn't carry on. I started Prozac again, and since then I have been on it. It has transformed my life."

Marky Wilson England February 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

"After being suicidal for many months and self harming in addition to extreme anxiety. I had taken Prozac 6 years earlier and didn't work at all has NOW almost eliminated my depression. I feel happier than I have in years. The only downside is I have gained about 20 lbs. My lowest weight was 133, considered healthy for someone 5'7 and athletic, but despite my clean eating and exercise I've blown up to 163 lbs in 2 years and nothing seems to get the weight off. This has been my only negative side effect. I choose my mental health over my body image although I also have an eating disorder BDD."

Kim SSRI queen February 1, 2016

"After my boyfriends death I wasn't able to function and I cried non stop. Since being on Prozac I don't cry as much, I'm still not sleeping well, but I am able to work and not be a complete basket case. I don't know if my weight loss is due to grief or the medication."

Ladybugg78 January 31, 2016

"After struggling for years with mild depression and working with mental health professional and trying every non-drug way of feeling happier and nothing worked. Finally 8 weeks ago I decided to try fluoxetine. I was afraid to try this because of anecdotal evidence and the stigma of taking meds. l But it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I feel like myself. I am not a zombie or a loopy happy person. There are no weird side effects for me. I just feel HAPPY. It is so much easier to appreciate the many good things in my life. I wish I had done this years ago. If you are like me and can tolerate medicine, and have been struggling with feeling good about your life for years, maybe it's worth a try. :-)"

Finally Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

"I was switched to this coming off of Lexapro, from which I was having severe withdrawal symptoms: dizziness, nausea, a poor time sleeping. I got switched to Prozac because I felt Lexapro wasn't covering all my anxiety enough, and so far the experience has been...eh. Like a lot of other reviews have said, you'll feel great for the first few days and then things'll probably go downhill. I often feel I'm not in my own skin--empty. I have strange dreams. My self-motivation is poor, and I can't spend money without crunching numbers fifty times over. I can never seem to do things I enjoy without feeling guilt about something else. It saved my ass from the side-effects of Lexapro, but I'm not sure if the 20mg dosage is going to be enough."

hm... (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

"Changed my life within a month of taking. initially gave me upset stomach but the wait was worth. My wife said she "felt like she was walking on egg shells", Now more I am relaxed and a better husband. Sex drive has been affected but I can live with that just being happy and enjoying life again."

PTSD29 January 27, 2016

"I've only been on Fluoxetine now for 12 days at 20mg. I have a feeling I'll be going up to 40mg soon. Nothing much yet except I have noticed I don't "blow up" as much at everyone but it's only 12 days. You need 3-4 wks to see really. I've tried Lexapro (sleepy all time & wt gain)& Sertraline (went toxic in my body, liver enzymes went up, constant diarrhea, major wt loss) & lastly Cymbalta (helped with pain but not mentally and withdrawals were horrible). So antidepressant #4. I hope this one works! I do have loose bowels a lot in morning but take 1 Loperamide everyday. That's all really except sometimes anxiety goes up. Exercise will help."

Audlynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"I've been on fluoxetine 5weeks@ 20mg & additional 1week combo with apripazole 5mg. I've been diagnosed with major depression and BPD. I have flu like symptoms and restlessness. don't feel much improvement before or after combining apripazole except I am very chilled and calm sometimes too calm. I no longer have insane panic attacks or think too much over everything. I hate the crazy dreams and insomnia but love getting out of bed feeling like I can run a marathon-due to fluoxetine. The apripozole helps with appetite which is non existent and helps boost fluoxetine. How much longer need to wait for the side effects to diminish as the restlessness is getting v.distressing"

dull253 January 18, 2016

"I was put on this medication 6 years ago after being in the hospital. I will admit that I wasn't suicidal anymore, but I just didn't feel right. I felt numb and that nothing bothered me. There were situations where I should have stood up for myself and didn't because I didn't feel the person had said anything wrong even though they were treating me unfairly. The only pro I can say for it is that it got me sane enough to leave the hospital. I have been off the medication for almost a year now and recognize that I was not myself and I will NEVER go back on it again!"

JBrown92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am beginning my fourth week on 20mg Fluoxetine taken each morning. I am recovering from a long term abusive relationship with a Narcissist. I have a head injury that predisposes me to fatigue. I asked the doctor to help me with my energy levels. I did not admit it but the underlying feeling I had was that 'everything was too much' and 'nothing matters anyway'. But nobody would have guessed how hopeless I had become. And had been for at least 10 years. Initially I experienced all of the symptoms people warn about in the first few weeks. Insomnia and occassional extreme anxiety were the worst. Now I feel enthused about taking things one at a time and am enjoying the process. I have begun to sleep normally again. So far, so good."

Blinky1 January 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "My genius psychiatrist started me on this drug in the fall of 2008. The first few weeks I felt even worse than before I had started taking the fluoxetine. After many months on the drug I was eventually taking 400mg a day, and having manic thoughts & episodes. My psychiatrist decided I was bi-polar and then started me on seroquel (rather than give me a break for my nervous system to re-adjust to it's natural state), which I also ended up taking for about 6 months and at about the same dose. In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken either fluoxetine(Prozac) or seroquel(Quetiapine)."

seiji (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2016

"When I first started taking this medication I changed from Lovan, and for about 2 weeks I felt on top of the world! I was motivated, full of energy and was actually laughing after a long period of depression. It was all downhill from there... I reached the point where my brain just didn't feel "right", I was more depressed than ever, feeling desperate and looking for a way out of feeling so low. I stopped taking the medication, initially to piss off my husband, and it was then that I realized this medication was the cause of my depressive moods, anxiety and anger. I would not recommend this medication to anyone without close psychiatric monitoring."

Cate700 January 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking Prozac now for 20 plus years. Originally was told by MD that it would be temporary but my experience has been after trying to be off it for several months, that I need to go back on it. I put myself under depression but I had anxiety, too, after the birth of my first child. I developed a real neurosis about sleep, i.e., I couldn't shut my brain off at night and had insomnia, became afraid I'd never sleep again. Being on the lowest dose of Prozac helped me I would say, completely. At three weeks I despaired of ever feeling normal again and by the fourth week saw a real improvement, by six weeks was very happy and relieved. It may be losing its effectiveness somewhat after all these years."

Goodbyeblues January 5, 2016

"Was on lexapro 10 mg for 3 months then 15mg for 2 month. Lexapro reached a point of not working. Switched to 20mg Prozac. No twitching or headaches or sick stomach. Find appetite has increased."

Alex Thompson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for over a year, I finally decided to look for help because I was feeling really numb and hating my life, just feeling like a failure. I am on my 5th week and I am still waiting for my mood to improve, I read some people say it might take 6-8 weeks to start kicking in and I cannot wait to feel better and have positive thoughts again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated."

Latindude41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "About 2 years ago, I took 20mg Prozac for suspected depression for approx. 4 months. I experienced the slightest lift in my mood for about 3 days during the course of treatment. Otherwise, I experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, random bouts of euphoria, and, worst of all, incredibly gruesome nightmares. I have no military experience and I am not in a medical/emergency field. I have never been exposed to blood/gore through anything except basic cable and an occasional scary movie. But, I just want to warn as many people as I can that this drug can cause the most brutal, disgusting nightmares a person can experience. I woke up sweating and crying/trying to scream hysterically. I stopped taking it and never looked back."

Amanda J December 15, 2015

"I notice immediate results with taking generic prozac. It helps with a weird skin rash I had for years on the palm of my hand due to stress and it couldn't be treated. Also it helps with my hip pain. Helps me to think more rationally and calmly. It help me to lose noticeable weight loss and I can sleep through the night now. Which I hadn't been able to sleep through the night since I was a small kid if my memory serves me correctly. I am more up front and not as fearful and anxious. It almost I don't have to over think what iI want to say now. The only side effect I have had that I didn't like was I get a Little jittery while sleeping if I am waken by a loud noise. Or a strange noise. I think it may make me more alert."

FreerNmyMind (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2015

"I've been taking the meds for about about 5 months now and I can honestly say I first I was so happy, I felt like my live had purpose. More chatty, as before I suffered form major depression where I didn't leave me bed in 2 months and constantly tired to kill myself. But I could see everything much clearer. But I got too over happy on this drug and by about 9 weeks of taking it I felt depressed for a week but I carried on taking it, I went to the doctors as one day I was really happy and the other day I was really unhappy, and threw taking the medication I was they diagnosed with manic depression (bipolar disorder) worst thing I ever done?"

Lauriejones December 9, 2015

"Six months ago I (57 yr male) was severely depressed, difficult to think, difficult to move. My doctor put me on 40 mg fluoxetine daily, with 0.5 mg clonazepam for the first 30 days. After five days I felt the drugs were overwhelming. I was having a lot of anxiety with hypertension and tachycardia and felt really out of it. I cut the dosage in half (taking the fluoxetine every other day). By about four weeks in I was doing much better, able to think and move again. About four months in, however, I started getting the blood pressure spikes and rapid heartbeat again and just generally felt overstimulated, so I asked my doctor for the 20 mg size, and he agreed I could take it once every other day if daily was too much. This has worked "

brglfnk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had depression for many years and I always avoided thinking about taking medication but I just started taking Prozac and it's already helping I'm more awake and everything seems brighter it's easier to get rid of negative thoughts and the weight on my chest is gone"

Female 15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I noticed a difference in the first week. It was a positive difference. And then about three weeks later i began to feel how i felt again, and I told my parents and i think that i need more than the 20 mg's that i'm on currently. But overall I think this drug works very well and you need to find the correct mg's for your body."

Looney420 November 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on an SSRI journey since I was 21 years old and am now 43. I was abruptly taken off of Paxil which was an absolute nightmare. However, I was consoled by the fact that Prozac was replacing it and have read that Prozac can actually be used to treat Paxil withdrawal. I am about seven weeks in and I feel like this might have been the right drug for me all along. My mood is level (if not maybe too up for brief periods) however my anxiety is way down and I find myself coming to be on a first name basis with all of the retail people I see on a very regular basis! This is huge for me as I have a thirty year history of social and generalized anxiety. That being said, I am working as well with CBT and I think more importantly meditation."

Sully2986 November 17, 2015