User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had depression and anxiety for several years, and have been on many anti-depressants and none have been as effective as Prozac has been for me. I was previously on Celexa and although it did help my depression it also made me gain a lot of weight. Since being ok Prozac though my appetite has went down tremendously and I feel amazing. I have never been this happy even before depression hit me."

Emmetilee May 1, 2016

"one of the worst medication ever causes nightmare and makes u depressed and panicky"

Thol April 29, 2016

"very helpful"

cacamph April 27, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication has literally saved my life!! I was severely depressed and had horrible anxiety and almost committed suicide. The first week on this drug was awful and I was very sick....then a miracle happened. After only a couple of weeks I suddenly realised that I felt 'normal', my thoughts were clear and organised, I was able to laugh, focus, I didn't feel like crying anymore, my fun-loving personality was shining through once more and I became a better version of me. Everyone has noticed and commented, I am now a great person to be around. I am able to work and eat and sleep and function like a normal young woman and it's all thanks to this amazing drug. It really has given me my life back."

Leesa87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on Prozac 20mg for two and a half weeks. I'm still hiding under the duvet. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety. Can anyone tell me how much longer I've got to wait to feel well again."

bedridden (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on fluoxetine for less than a month and it's going ok. During the first 2 weeks, I felt surprising amazing. I had a new love of life. The week after, I felt suicidal, I felt worse and I just wanted to stay in bed and never leave. I feel constantly nauseous which isn't good. This week, I have felt a little calmer. I feel 'normal'. I hope I stay like this and just level out..."

SamSx April 16, 2016

"I started taking Prozac (fluxoetine) for bulimia and depression. The first four weeks I had side effects like: crazy nightmares, waking up in the middle of the night with extreme panic and feeling disconnected from reality. It was hard but my doctor also said that the more side effects you have in the beginning, the better the medication will work on your brain. So don't give up! After about 4 weeks a switch turned on! I felt like myself, even better then myself, for the first time in years! I got happier, more confident, more energy, and the bulimia stopped! It was truly a life saver. I didn't notice any sexual stuff, I was horny as usual! And all the other side effects disappeared. I didn't feel emotionally disconnected, just more stable."

Amamama April 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started this medication because I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. I have been put on random depression meds since I was 14 years old and am now 24. I've tried lexapro, welbutrin, and a bunch of other stuff. I never really saw improvement as a teenager on these drugs, but it could have been my hormones at the time. I tried prosac at 23 years old and it seemed to make a real difference for me. I think I started to feel the difference within the first week, but that might have been a placebo affect. After at least 2-3 weeks is when I think it really started to work and I could feel a difference. My anxiety levels started to drop pretty drastically and I was no longer afraid of things like the dark."

tbud March 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Im pretty outgoing in nature...but id get depressed n aggressive from time to time. Anyway so the first 5 weeks on this med was very up and down... I slept but woke up feeling tired.. I was drowzy during the day...id feel good some days n worse on others. I was going to quit on my 6th week..I woke up n said 'I cant take this anymore' but my mom convinced me to keep taking it. It was like a miracle. .I just woke up in the morning..6th week in n felt ok one morning... energetic... happy... motivated... could phone up anyone n talk wthout feeling like it was torture.... so give it atleast 6 weeks... it should get even better than how im feeling now... tht would be amazing!"

desertflower1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"rapid developed tolerance (stop working for me after 6 months),,, other SSRI's not working,,, even prozac caused me insomnia and NO sexual drive at all ,,,, preferred amitriptyline as sedating ,less sexual side effects, anti migraine ."

Mostafa 1983 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2016

"After years of non-medicinal attempts to deal with my SAD, I finally decided to give it a shot as it had been really bad the last three years. My doctor put me on fluoxetine at 20 mg and then moved it up to 40 mg. On the positive side it made me less prone to angry outbursts and my lows weren't as bad. I've stopped taking it due to side effects. I had some initial insomnia but adjusted. However, a few days into 40 mg I could only manage 4 hours sleep a night. I would be restless and anxious. My mind would be racing and wouldn't relax despite the fact that the rest of my body was exhausted. I also had trouble getting and maintaining an erection. Not being able to be intimate with my wife or sleep well made me depressed, so what's the point?"

Dave6838 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

"My period was late for 1 week, besides that it is working for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

"I started on this drug about 3 months ago and have lost 30 pounds already. It suppresses my appetite and with the weight loss that has helped not only my diabetes but my depression and moods as well. I'm happier, more energetic and my anxiety is better."

Latina44870 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

"I'd suffered from anxiety and depression for many, many years. The anxiety led to trouble sleeping, which made me depressed. I was focussing on the negatives in my life and my circle of friends was shrinking. I began to feel worthless. I am a musician but also a software engineer, a job that is secure and pays well but gives me no satisfaction. I took fluoxetine in 2004 when stress at work brought my anxiety to a head. I also used Zolpidem to sleep. I kept up this pattern for a couple of years, quitting Prozac and re-starting regularly. In October 2012 my sleep became awful and I was regularly just walking out of work because I couldn't carry on. I started Prozac again, and since then I have been on it. It has transformed my life."

Marky Wilson England February 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

"After being suicidal for many months and self harming in addition to extreme anxiety. I had taken Prozac 6 years earlier and didn't work at all has NOW almost eliminated my depression. I feel happier than I have in years. The only downside is I have gained about 20 lbs. My lowest weight was 133, considered healthy for someone 5'7 and athletic, but despite my clean eating and exercise I've blown up to 163 lbs in 2 years and nothing seems to get the weight off. This has been my only negative side effect. I choose my mental health over my body image although I also have an eating disorder BDD."

Kim SSRI queen February 1, 2016

"After my boyfriends death I wasn't able to function and I cried non stop. Since being on Prozac I don't cry as much, I'm still not sleeping well, but I am able to work and not be a complete basket case. I don't know if my weight loss is due to grief or the medication."

Ladybugg78 January 31, 2016

"After struggling for years with mild depression and working with mental health professional and trying every non-drug way of feeling happier and nothing worked. Finally 8 weeks ago I decided to try fluoxetine. I was afraid to try this because of anecdotal evidence and the stigma of taking meds. l But it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I feel like myself. I am not a zombie or a loopy happy person. There are no weird side effects for me. I just feel HAPPY. It is so much easier to appreciate the many good things in my life. I wish I had done this years ago. If you are like me and can tolerate medicine, and have been struggling with feeling good about your life for years, maybe it's worth a try. :-)"

Finally Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

"I was switched to this coming off of Lexapro, from which I was having severe withdrawal symptoms: dizziness, nausea, a poor time sleeping. I got switched to Prozac because I felt Lexapro wasn't covering all my anxiety enough, and so far the experience has been...eh. Like a lot of other reviews have said, you'll feel great for the first few days and then things'll probably go downhill. I often feel I'm not in my own skin--empty. I have strange dreams. My self-motivation is poor, and I can't spend money without crunching numbers fifty times over. I can never seem to do things I enjoy without feeling guilt about something else. It saved my ass from the side-effects of Lexapro, but I'm not sure if the 20mg dosage is going to be enough."

hm... (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

"Changed my life within a month of taking. initially gave me upset stomach but the wait was worth. My wife said she "felt like she was walking on egg shells", Now more I am relaxed and a better husband. Sex drive has been affected but I can live with that just being happy and enjoying life again."

PTSD29 January 27, 2016

"I've only been on Fluoxetine now for 12 days at 20mg. I have a feeling I'll be going up to 40mg soon. Nothing much yet except I have noticed I don't "blow up" as much at everyone but it's only 12 days. You need 3-4 wks to see really. I've tried Lexapro (sleepy all time & wt gain)& Sertraline (went toxic in my body, liver enzymes went up, constant diarrhea, major wt loss) & lastly Cymbalta (helped with pain but not mentally and withdrawals were horrible). So antidepressant #4. I hope this one works! I do have loose bowels a lot in morning but take 1 Loperamide everyday. That's all really except sometimes anxiety goes up. Exercise will help."

Audlynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"I've been on fluoxetine 5weeks@ 20mg & additional 1week combo with apripazole 5mg. I've been diagnosed with major depression and BPD. I have flu like symptoms and restlessness. don't feel much improvement before or after combining apripazole except I am very chilled and calm sometimes too calm. I no longer have insane panic attacks or think too much over everything. I hate the crazy dreams and insomnia but love getting out of bed feeling like I can run a marathon-due to fluoxetine. The apripozole helps with appetite which is non existent and helps boost fluoxetine. How much longer need to wait for the side effects to diminish as the restlessness is getting v.distressing"

dull253 January 18, 2016

"I was put on this medication 6 years ago after being in the hospital. I will admit that I wasn't suicidal anymore, but I just didn't feel right. I felt numb and that nothing bothered me. There were situations where I should have stood up for myself and didn't because I didn't feel the person had said anything wrong even though they were treating me unfairly. The only pro I can say for it is that it got me sane enough to leave the hospital. I have been off the medication for almost a year now and recognize that I was not myself and I will NEVER go back on it again!"

JBrown92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016