User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have tried everything from tricyclics, serzone lexapro, Welbutrin, celexa, everthing under the sun. I just recently started on prozac about 2 weeks ago (straight from lexapro) and the results have been amazing! I sleep well, my dreams are pleasant now and my brain doesn't over analyze everything. I wake up early feeling good which I haven't in years. I have ambition and energy, get shit done and look for more to do. Finally something that works! I haven't had the opportunity to see if there are any sexual side effects yet but hopefully soon! Lol."

jraid2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

"I have been on these since 1997 and since January this year (2015) I came off them, I feel terrible and have noticed I do need them and they do work wonders."

lizzy 69 May 17, 2015

"Can't stop laughing when taking this. This medicine makes me very giddy and I guess in a huge way that keeps me from breaking down and crying. I would not recommend taking this if you're working. I can't do any serious work when I'm taking this medication. I'm in the mood to put on some pj's and watch Spongebob."

Carlyo (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"This pill made my life hell. It increased my suicidal ideation and I attempted a few times on it. I felt dissociation and I became even more depressed. They wouldn't let me off it, however, and actually increased my dosage to above the maximum adult dose before I finally was able to stop taking it. Upon stopping the medication I felt better and was less suicidal."

p1kfl0yd (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Incredible. To think a simple pill would be so life changing. 21 year old married mother of two , I've been struggling with depression and anxiety, especially social anxiety my entire life. I was at the end of my rope, starting to think depression wasn't even a real thing, it was just normal to feel like shit. Literally the first day I felt okay. A month later here I am exercising everyday in my spotless house and playing with my kids. No more emotional eating I've lost fifteen freaking pounds I have the energy and focus to do EVERYTHING. I only wish I would have tried it sooner. I thought it would make me feel like a numb robot but I still feel like me, just a better me. Really looking forward to my future on Prozac."

assleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

etherealmoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have suffered from severe depression/anxiety for 9 years now. I also suffer from PTSD. I have tried almost everything out there, and Prozac is the only antidepressant that I can take and that works for me. I am very sensitive to medication, and I'm glad I have found at least one medication that helps my severe depression. It helps motivate me and keeps me alive. I have been on 10 mg for a long time, and then recently went to 20 mg. I think I need to increase my dosage even more so. But it has been the only reliable medication I have ever taken, and for the longest duration."

etherealmoon April 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been taking this for a really long time and it worked....for a while. I take 60 mg and it seems to be doing nothing now. I was just prescribed a booster and I really hope it works. I am miserable I have moderate to severe intrusional thoughts."

1213455624572 April 27, 2015

"It's difficult to explain the side effect I experience using fluoxetine. I can only describe it as lightening flashes in my mind that briefly cause a feeling of confusion as well as momentary losses in my concentration. Physically speaking, I just get an unpleasant sensation thats comparable to the light headed feeling you get when you stand up too fast after getting out of bed, but luckily there's no pain involved."

Pliscan (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on this medicine for 2 weeks now and definitely starting to feel less anxious and I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill anymore!! Also not as afraid in social situations and ocd that someone will break in my house and kidnap me and my kids is gone and I can actually sleep at night now. I hope this continues because living in constant fear is no way to live!"

ceebeed79799 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

"I've been taking this medication for 10 months. It has really saved my relationship. I was always moody, crabby & wanted to be alone! I also have PMDD and it has helped with that too. The only down side is my decrease in sexual drive. It is now hurting my relationship."

Anonymous April 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It didnt seem to help me"

JuJu23 April 8, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm 22. Had been suffering with depression and a little social anxiety since I was about 12. I finally mustered up the courage to talk to a doctor and he prescribed me Prozac. I have been on it a month now and I'm doing a whole lot better with the depression but not so much my anxiety. The first 2-3 days were the worst I have had in a long time. But after those I started feeling great. It makes me drowsy and I'm able to have sex normally but I can never finish."

FrankTS2G (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Let's see. When I first started this Med was for depression and anxiety. Within a month I felt good, after two months great! I stopped taking it thinking I could manage and that made me worse after 3-6 months. I had to get back on it plus klonopin for the anxiety. Well I did it again, i started running out and couldn't afford to go to the doctor so I was talking it every other day.... I think it made it less effective. I've been so depressed, tired, anxious, dizzy etc... I was able to afford to go back the weeks ago and get my refills... So I'm three weeks in... Still feeling down and out. But I know I've got to give it the full 6-8 weeks. Just never get off!! It works well if taken right."

Melanie8890909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

"I've been taking 10mg for five weeks and I feel nothing but worse - more sluggish, more depressed, more unfocused, and not just depressed as I was but angry and depressed."

Leta B (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been battling severe depression for most of my life, and at 30 years old I finally decided to seek help. I was prescribed 10 mg at first and it has been gradually increased at different increments over the last year and a half. I am currently taking 60 mg Prozac daily. Taking Prozac has definitely helped my moods, but no pill is a fix-all. I recommend counseling also. I have had some issues with weight gain and loss of libido. I've noticed that once I have been on a stable dosage for a while, the libido does come back."

blue eyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2015

"I was on Sertraline for a year but then I stopped taking sertraline because the medication stopped working and this was causing problems to me and my school life. I have now been prescribed Fluoxetine from my Doctor and I have noticed the side effects instantly such as feeling anxious restlessness. The medication has helped with life at home, me and my mum have been getting on better and not arguing my social relationships have improved to an extent but not inside school that is where I am having the problems. which is a main concern for me. once I go back to the Doctor in a few weeks time, she expects to see a diary plan of my days and how my mood is changing. I will also explain about my anxieties."

Mccarthy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!"

DavidKirsch38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

"I have been on the med (20mg) for about 3 week for depression. Luckily no side effects and already feel loads better . Don't get me wrong, I have had the odd really low day but don't we all! But positives feel I can cope lots better plus not eating for the sake of eating . Still got to help myself to get motivated. Wished I was honest with myself years ago and went on medication."

leigh97 March 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on and off Prozac for depression. Very effective for turning negative thoughts into positive ones, increased energy and motivation to get things done and get through the day, less fatigue from stress and worry, better sleep at night, better appetite, able to cope with life's stressors, feel like spending more time with friends and family and doing activities when not depressed, more social/talkative when not depressed, increased confidence when not feeling anxious or depressed. In better health, feel more in control of my life, more optimistic and positive."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I suffered extreme depression very much when my mum passed over and the doctor put me on these. They helped me think straight and think about all the bad things I'm still on them but only take one or two a week that keeps me happy and normal."

tomo15 February 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It works really well my mood and depression are better. My only possible complaint is a constant upset stomach."

Happy Seahorse January 27, 2015

"This isn't a miracle pill but it does help. I'm a bigger girl was very depressed wasn't focused, couldn't and wouldn't do nothing lazy but this has helped me with my depression helped me lose weight and helped with my feelings. Love this I'm so clam and happy."

Jlo Marie January 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time."

lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2015

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did."

Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next