User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"This medication has turned my life completely around.Depression runs rampant in my family,mostly untreated.I have had low level depression for my whole life,but was very much functioning,if struggling inside.In the past 2 years I had sunk slowly but surely into a very dark hopeless state of mind.I felt deeply,terribly sad,stressed,depressed,hopeless,and for 2 weeks of every month before my period the symptoms worsened to a suicidal state of mind.I eventually went to my doctor who diagnosed premenstrual dysphoric disorder,SAD and major depressive episode.3 months later, 20mgs fluoroxetine a day, I feel 'normal' again for the first time in years. Balanced,happy,content and positive.Not numb or disconnected at all.I have hope again."

Leila_happy July 20, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been struggling with major depression for six months and finally when I went to the doctor, I was prescribed with 20mg of Prozac. The first five days were horrible and the worst have I ever felt. After that, I begun feeling good again. I begun having weird dreams, however and sometimes lack the ability to feel certain feelings. At the end, I really do believe this medication has saved me."

Teenage boy (17) (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

"I wanted to share my experience - the first week or so of this generic Prozac was a living hell. I didn't feel like myself at all - physically and mentally. This is where a lot of people give up on this medication - don't. About a month went by and I am SO grateful, I 100% know that this medication saved my life. I am writing a review because I am now broke and couldn't take my medicine today... ONE day off this medicine made me immediately feel like my old, depressed and suicidal self again. I am addicted to Fluoxetine, but I'm okay with that. it's been months since I started - almost a year. This may not be the best thing for my body, I haven't done much research... but I don't know what I would do, mentally, without it."

Annie Swan July 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had really bad anxiety issues before I hopped on this medicine, was constantly feeling down and never wanted to be around people.. the being around people part hasn't changed probably because I'm just a solo person, but my mood is so much better and I just feel happier with life, at times I feel a little to happy that I get aggravated if that makes any sense. but I love the medicine."

nigyl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm in my late 40's and have always had anxiety spike but in the last 10 years my job has become overwhelming to me and I would wake up vomiting and in anxiety attacks. I had always gone to therapists who would give me exercises which would work at first but after a while I could not handle it. Found a dr who gave me 20 mg and I can not tell you how much it has helped almost from the get go my spikes have calmed down and I can control my feelings. I haven't really had any stress lately at work so I haven't tested that out but just in my every day working where I would just feel anxiety it has helped. The one problem is that my sex drive is very low - not gone - but low"

zzrt June 26, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been taking prozac for three months now and I'm the best I've ever been. I can see the beauty in the world that I saw when I was little. I don't think bad thoughts anymore. Sometimes I miss a few days on my medication and I'll see something like a road or a song or an old diary entry from my journal and it will be a subtle reminder of how I felt but I am strong enough to fight those thoughts and push them away. I smile more and I talk to people. I'm not scared to talk to people in public anymore. My anxiety is almost gone. I dont feel depressed anymore and I love myself. I don't hate myself anymore. I've gotten distracted by how beautiful and amazing I can be that I don't think about flaws or imperfections. I feel great. Prozac is a miracle"

espz June 25, 2015

"For the first few months, the medication was very successful in terms of giving me the energy and "drive" to get out of bed and do something with my day. However, there are sexual side effects as climax became near impossible. This wears off with time, both the energy and the sexual side effects. After my body became accustomed to the medication, I lost the extra energy and I became sexually "functional" again. After approximately 6 months, my depression returned and was accompanied by severe anxiety, a condition I had never dealt with before. I've since stopped taking Prozac, and noticed significant improvements in my overall life. My experience with Prozac was that it's good in the short term, but not for the long haul."

WhiteMortGuy June 9, 2015

"I've been on this med for a year and it works wonders for me, gives me Energy And the drive to do things more, I've also lost weight and feels good..."

cowhead63 May 29, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have tried everything from tricyclics, serzone lexapro, Welbutrin, celexa, everthing under the sun. I just recently started on prozac about 2 weeks ago (straight from lexapro) and the results have been amazing! I sleep well, my dreams are pleasant now and my brain doesn't over analyze everything. I wake up early feeling good which I haven't in years. I have ambition and energy, get shit done and look for more to do. Finally something that works! I haven't had the opportunity to see if there are any sexual side effects yet but hopefully soon! Lol."

jraid2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

"I have been on these since 1997 and since January this year (2015) I came off them, I feel terrible and have noticed I do need them and they do work wonders."

lizzy 69 May 17, 2015

"Can't stop laughing when taking this. This medicine makes me very giddy and I guess in a huge way that keeps me from breaking down and crying. I would not recommend taking this if you're working. I can't do any serious work when I'm taking this medication. I'm in the mood to put on some pj's and watch Spongebob."

Carlyo (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"This pill made my life hell. It increased my suicidal ideation and I attempted a few times on it. I felt dissociation and I became even more depressed. They wouldn't let me off it, however, and actually increased my dosage to above the maximum adult dose before I finally was able to stop taking it. Upon stopping the medication I felt better and was less suicidal."

p1kfl0yd (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Incredible. To think a simple pill would be so life changing. 21 year old married mother of two , I've been struggling with depression and anxiety, especially social anxiety my entire life. I was at the end of my rope, starting to think depression wasn't even a real thing, it was just normal to feel like shit. Literally the first day I felt okay. A month later here I am exercising everyday in my spotless house and playing with my kids. No more emotional eating I've lost fifteen freaking pounds I have the energy and focus to do EVERYTHING. I only wish I would have tried it sooner. I thought it would make me feel like a numb robot but I still feel like me, just a better me. Really looking forward to my future on Prozac."

assleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

etherealmoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have suffered from severe depression/anxiety for 9 years now. I also suffer from PTSD. I have tried almost everything out there, and Prozac is the only antidepressant that I can take and that works for me. I am very sensitive to medication, and I'm glad I have found at least one medication that helps my severe depression. It helps motivate me and keeps me alive. I have been on 10 mg for a long time, and then recently went to 20 mg. I think I need to increase my dosage even more so. But it has been the only reliable medication I have ever taken, and for the longest duration."

etherealmoon April 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been taking this for a really long time and it worked....for a while. I take 60 mg and it seems to be doing nothing now. I was just prescribed a booster and I really hope it works. I am miserable I have moderate to severe intrusional thoughts."

1213455624572 April 27, 2015

"It's difficult to explain the side effect I experience using fluoxetine. I can only describe it as lightening flashes in my mind that briefly cause a feeling of confusion as well as momentary losses in my concentration. Physically speaking, I just get an unpleasant sensation thats comparable to the light headed feeling you get when you stand up too fast after getting out of bed, but luckily there's no pain involved."

Pliscan (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on this medicine for 2 weeks now and definitely starting to feel less anxious and I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill anymore!! Also not as afraid in social situations and ocd that someone will break in my house and kidnap me and my kids is gone and I can actually sleep at night now. I hope this continues because living in constant fear is no way to live!"

ceebeed79799 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

"I've been taking this medication for 10 months. It has really saved my relationship. I was always moody, crabby & wanted to be alone! I also have PMDD and it has helped with that too. The only down side is my decrease in sexual drive. It is now hurting my relationship."

Anonymous April 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It didnt seem to help me"

JuJu23 April 8, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm 22. Had been suffering with depression and a little social anxiety since I was about 12. I finally mustered up the courage to talk to a doctor and he prescribed me Prozac. I have been on it a month now and I'm doing a whole lot better with the depression but not so much my anxiety. The first 2-3 days were the worst I have had in a long time. But after those I started feeling great. It makes me drowsy and I'm able to have sex normally but I can never finish."

FrankTS2G (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Let's see. When I first started this Med was for depression and anxiety. Within a month I felt good, after two months great! I stopped taking it thinking I could manage and that made me worse after 3-6 months. I had to get back on it plus klonopin for the anxiety. Well I did it again, i started running out and couldn't afford to go to the doctor so I was talking it every other day.... I think it made it less effective. I've been so depressed, tired, anxious, dizzy etc... I was able to afford to go back the weeks ago and get my refills... So I'm three weeks in... Still feeling down and out. But I know I've got to give it the full 6-8 weeks. Just never get off!! It works well if taken right."

Melanie8890909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

"I've been taking 10mg for five weeks and I feel nothing but worse - more sluggish, more depressed, more unfocused, and not just depressed as I was but angry and depressed."

Leta B (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been battling severe depression for most of my life, and at 30 years old I finally decided to seek help. I was prescribed 10 mg at first and it has been gradually increased at different increments over the last year and a half. I am currently taking 60 mg Prozac daily. Taking Prozac has definitely helped my moods, but no pill is a fix-all. I recommend counseling also. I have had some issues with weight gain and loss of libido. I've noticed that once I have been on a stable dosage for a while, the libido does come back."

blue eyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2015

"I was on Sertraline for a year but then I stopped taking sertraline because the medication stopped working and this was causing problems to me and my school life. I have now been prescribed Fluoxetine from my Doctor and I have noticed the side effects instantly such as feeling anxious restlessness. The medication has helped with life at home, me and my mum have been getting on better and not arguing my social relationships have improved to an extent but not inside school that is where I am having the problems. which is a main concern for me. once I go back to the Doctor in a few weeks time, she expects to see a diary plan of my days and how my mood is changing. I will also explain about my anxieties."

Mccarthy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2015