User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"I've been on Prozac for one month. I don't notice much other than vivid dreams and weight loss. I started out at 125 and now am 118 even though I still feel like I'm eating normally. My dreams are very lucid and intense. Gonna give it more time to see if it helps with my depression but so far I don't notice it."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "About 3-4 months of using this medicine I started to notice the way it effected my thinking. Things would come up in my life that would've normally triggered my depression. However when these things happened, I felt a fake sense of relief. I felt like I wanted to be upset about these things that were happening, but my brain wouldn't let me. It felt unfamiliar and unlike myself. It was as though I could feel a whole layer of feelings that I was unable to express. My doctor switched me over to Zoloft and I'm noticing better results."

Iamprozacnation May 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "life saver at first made me feel tired but now i have energy and more out going"

kingac May 18, 2016

"Very cheap cure for depression. Saved my life. Had no side effects. I think this should be the first antidepressant to try when your diagnosed. I was a teen and it is safe"

Tween1998boogiehooola May 16, 2016

"It's only day 3 on Prozac for severe depression and anxiety. First day, I was only tired and couldn't think straight (had trouble finding the right words) but my family helped by laughing it off and going along with me when I'd use the wrong word. Day 2, tired, nauseous and foggy. It feels like I'm not in my skin, but watching life as a movie. Today is day 3 and while I haven't cried today, I'm just exhausted, sad and not hungry. I pray this gets better after a couple of weeks. It's strange because even though I'm exhausted, it's hard to sleep at times. I'm hopeful this will work. I'll try to come give updates."

mzcat May 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on 10mg fluoxetine for just over one week - I did take it for a few days a little while ago, it made my IBS worse, so I stopped. My doctor persuaded me to give it another go. I know it's early days, but so far it's all bad! Before I was tired, unmotivated, no concentration, barely able to wash or do the simplest things. Now - I'm like the walking dead! Even more tired, even less motivation, brain fog - you name it. And possibly more depressed! I also had terrible joint pains - I have arthritis anyway! The joint pains seem to be lessening, the others aren't- so far! I just hope it's a case of getting worse before it gets better, cos atm it's almost unbearable!"

OldCrone (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was depressed since I could remember, always low energy and just wanting something to kill me didn't matter, but Prozac helps me a lot. I still have my bad days but they aren't as severe of frequent. Thanks Prozac!"

DragonsSong (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Given my experience on this medication, I should probably give it a "1", but I'm going to give it a 4 because of my initial response to it. I've had depression for 20 years, and the symptoms have never remitted, which eventually lead to my choice to seek hospitalization last year. However, a week after I went on this medication, my symptoms were completely gone. All of the cognitive, impulse control and executive functioning deficits related to my partially remitted depression disappeared. HOWEVER....the medication made me manic in about a month. I started experiencing paranoid delusions and had to admit myself to the hospital again. I'm heartbroken that it didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for others."

Lucy33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac since I began my hospitalization at a mental facility in March. I am on Prozac for approximately 1 month now. The first week was still awful for me, but Prozac did make me feel better. The following two weeks I began to feel progressively "happier", and I started participating in activities more. Lots of people commented on how I became more bubbly after my hospitalization. However, I am beginning to feel down again recently. Hopefully my psychiatrist can figure something out."

Lolip585 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had depression and anxiety for several years, and have been on many anti-depressants and none have been as effective as Prozac has been for me. I was previously on Celexa and although it did help my depression it also made me gain a lot of weight. Since being ok Prozac though my appetite has went down tremendously and I feel amazing. I have never been this happy even before depression hit me."

Emmetilee May 1, 2016

"one of the worst medication ever causes nightmare and makes u depressed and panicky"

Thol April 29, 2016

"very helpful"

cacamph April 27, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication has literally saved my life!! I was severely depressed and had horrible anxiety and almost committed suicide. The first week on this drug was awful and I was very sick....then a miracle happened. After only a couple of weeks I suddenly realised that I felt 'normal', my thoughts were clear and organised, I was able to laugh, focus, I didn't feel like crying anymore, my fun-loving personality was shining through once more and I became a better version of me. Everyone has noticed and commented, I am now a great person to be around. I am able to work and eat and sleep and function like a normal young woman and it's all thanks to this amazing drug. It really has given me my life back."

Leesa87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on Prozac 20mg for two and a half weeks. I'm still hiding under the duvet. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety. Can anyone tell me how much longer I've got to wait to feel well again."

bedridden (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on fluoxetine for less than a month and it's going ok. During the first 2 weeks, I felt surprising amazing. I had a new love of life. The week after, I felt suicidal, I felt worse and I just wanted to stay in bed and never leave. I feel constantly nauseous which isn't good. This week, I have felt a little calmer. I feel 'normal'. I hope I stay like this and just level out..."

SamSx April 16, 2016

"I started taking Prozac (fluxoetine) for bulimia and depression. The first four weeks I had side effects like: crazy nightmares, waking up in the middle of the night with extreme panic and feeling disconnected from reality. It was hard but my doctor also said that the more side effects you have in the beginning, the better the medication will work on your brain. So don't give up! After about 4 weeks a switch turned on! I felt like myself, even better then myself, for the first time in years! I got happier, more confident, more energy, and the bulimia stopped! It was truly a life saver. I didn't notice any sexual stuff, I was horny as usual! And all the other side effects disappeared. I didn't feel emotionally disconnected, just more stable."

Amamama April 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started this medication because I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. I have been put on random depression meds since I was 14 years old and am now 24. I've tried lexapro, welbutrin, and a bunch of other stuff. I never really saw improvement as a teenager on these drugs, but it could have been my hormones at the time. I tried prosac at 23 years old and it seemed to make a real difference for me. I think I started to feel the difference within the first week, but that might have been a placebo affect. After at least 2-3 weeks is when I think it really started to work and I could feel a difference. My anxiety levels started to drop pretty drastically and I was no longer afraid of things like the dark."

tbud March 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Im pretty outgoing in nature...but id get depressed n aggressive from time to time. Anyway so the first 5 weeks on this med was very up and down... I slept but woke up feeling tired.. I was drowzy during the day...id feel good some days n worse on others. I was going to quit on my 6th week..I woke up n said 'I cant take this anymore' but my mom convinced me to keep taking it. It was like a miracle. .I just woke up in the morning..6th week in n felt ok one morning... energetic... happy... motivated... could phone up anyone n talk wthout feeling like it was torture.... so give it atleast 6 weeks... it should get even better than how im feeling now... tht would be amazing!"

desertflower1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"rapid developed tolerance (stop working for me after 6 months),,, other SSRI's not working,,, even prozac caused me insomnia and NO sexual drive at all ,,,, preferred amitriptyline as sedating ,less sexual side effects, anti migraine ."

Mostafa 1983 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2016

"After years of non-medicinal attempts to deal with my SAD, I finally decided to give it a shot as it had been really bad the last three years. My doctor put me on fluoxetine at 20 mg and then moved it up to 40 mg. On the positive side it made me less prone to angry outbursts and my lows weren't as bad. I've stopped taking it due to side effects. I had some initial insomnia but adjusted. However, a few days into 40 mg I could only manage 4 hours sleep a night. I would be restless and anxious. My mind would be racing and wouldn't relax despite the fact that the rest of my body was exhausted. I also had trouble getting and maintaining an erection. Not being able to be intimate with my wife or sleep well made me depressed, so what's the point?"

Dave6838 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

"My period was late for 1 week, besides that it is working for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

"I started on this drug about 3 months ago and have lost 30 pounds already. It suppresses my appetite and with the weight loss that has helped not only my diabetes but my depression and moods as well. I'm happier, more energetic and my anxiety is better."

Latina44870 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

"I'd suffered from anxiety and depression for many, many years. The anxiety led to trouble sleeping, which made me depressed. I was focussing on the negatives in my life and my circle of friends was shrinking. I began to feel worthless. I am a musician but also a software engineer, a job that is secure and pays well but gives me no satisfaction. I took fluoxetine in 2004 when stress at work brought my anxiety to a head. I also used Zolpidem to sleep. I kept up this pattern for a couple of years, quitting Prozac and re-starting regularly. In October 2012 my sleep became awful and I was regularly just walking out of work because I couldn't carry on. I started Prozac again, and since then I have been on it. It has transformed my life."

Marky Wilson England February 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016