User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Review by lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 4:33 PM

Review by Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 6:13 AM

Review by Tiger beck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have bipolar and was put on 750mg of Depokote and 5mg of olanzapine, I later started suffering from depression so my psychiatrist put me on fluoxetine. All I can say is this medicine saved my life, I cannot believe the difference, I am a much happier person. I tried taking fluoxetine without olanzapine and couldn't sleep so went back on olanzipine at a low dose.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by eh11111:

Prozac (fluoxetine): On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary.

December 20, 2014 5:24 AM

Review by Momshappy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I finally had the guts to mention my depression to my doctor, Thank God! I was depressed for years and was at the point of uncontrollable crying, missing work because of it. This was not the wife and mother I wanted to be so I finally asked for help. It has changed my life. No more depression and many things that used to cause me stress bother me much less or not at all. Not many side effects except fatigue, appetite loss, and a spacey feeling that only lasted a few days. Please don't wait to ask for help. I wish I had done this long ago.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by Rose1379873:

Didn't work at all, found it only made me feel worse.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 5:18 AM

Review by rach-mae:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've battled depression for five years and anxiety since I was a kid. The first two weeks on Prozac, everything got ten times worse. I couldn't function or stop crying or hating myself. But after that, the depression subsided. I'm more confident, calm, and I shy from negative thoughts and sadness rather than welcoming those things like I used to. It has helped my depression an incredible amount, but I have seen a little less improvement in the anxiety (even with cognitive behavioral therapy). Side effects for me are lots of yawning and loss of appetite.

November 18, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by AuntiePoomPoom777:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by Lorenzo P:

Prozac (fluoxetine): In 1995, I was miserable for no particular reason and was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Prozac. Great life, depression in check. In 2013, I weened myself off it because I didn't think I needed it anymore. As luck would have it, I hit a period of challenging events in life that they brain interpreted as trauma. To cope, I began drinking a little which evolved into daily. I concluded that I had gone off Prozac, decreased self control and created a personal crisis. I'm back on Prozac and my moods have leveled off and I so far have the ability to abstain. I won't go off it again.

November 14, 2014 6:32 PM

Review by Male 47:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I started on 20 mg of Prozac for GAD. The first two weeks have been hell - insomnia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and anxiety. The side effects seem to be subsiding. Now more balanced than before.

November 9, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by CamiK:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been taking fluoxetine for 6 months now. I started taking at night after my first day due to drowsiness. I wake up periodically through out the night. My dr says it's not the medicine. But it has to be. I haven't had a good nights sleep in months! & I've always loved to sleep. The medicine works awesome though

November 1, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by luv1977 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I suffered horribly with post partum depression and severe anxiety for 2 years after the birth. Felt so terrible. All the time, felt like I couldn't do anything. Everything overwhelmed me. Tried Prozac and didn't notice a difference for 2 weeks, then slowly started feeling calmer and could somewhat focus on tasks and errands. I started supplements, vitamin D3 and fish oil. Felt more relief with this combination of Prozac and supplements. Noticed a lift of mood and sleep was once again welcomed instead of torture. I had severe insomnia during my Depression. All I can say is I've been on this combination for 5 almost 6 years and felt much better. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this illness.

October 23, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by LoveMiami:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I'm on week one and I feel a difference already. Been depressed for years on and off. Finally felt strong enough to share my story with someone and was diagnosed severe depression. I always thought the way out of depression is to fix was is bothering you and everything will be fine. 6 Years later, I missed out on fun, laughter and family. Won't let time fly by anymore. I hope I continue to want to go outside, meet people and lose weight. I will keep you posted.

October 20, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by Dave UK:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been taking this now for about six weeks. At first it worked well, but for the last two weeks it seems to have stopped working. I've been taking ten tablets a day for the last 6 days, that's 200mg daily, of fluoxetine and it does nothing. I'm going to call my doctor and ask to try something else.

October 5, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by Kissoflife123:

Prozac (fluoxetine): It made me crazy. I couldn't eat or sleep or sit still.

September 19, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Worked well for a 5 years. No side effect. .

September 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by ms.Goldy girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started fluoxetine 20mg 2yrs.ago, i was very scared at first taking it but after about 6 weeks I felt back to myself again with my depression and anxiety. I took it for almost 2yrs, then stopped because I felt better now 8 months later I'm back on it praying it will help again.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by ckris:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been in this medicine for 7 months, first started on 20mg, now increasing to 40mg. I am taking it for depression and anxiety. It takes about a month before I see some effects. Mood was lifted and feel calmer but can't stop yawning. In the beginning, I did felt increased anxiety before this subsides...I will continue to take this medicine and hope to get better.

September 10, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by Miss0rocks:

I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 weeks now. I started at 10mg then went up to 20mg after a week. The side effects were terrible the first several weeks. Extreme fatigue, vomiting, anxiety, major twitching. However I chose to stick with it and hope for the best. The side effects started fading after about 5 weeks and I also started taking the meds at night which helped with the daytime fatigue. I can now say my generalized anxiety has almost disappeared and I've felt improvement with my mood and have become more positive. My doc has upped my dose to 40mg so hopefully this brings even more results. I encourage everyone just starting this medication to try to make it through the start up side effects

August 14, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Amgama:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac is really a life saver.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Hv50 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been on Prozac for just about 3 months. At first I did not notice a difference for about a month then I started feeling more energized for a few weeks however the weight is going on as fast as grass grows. I'm seeing my doctor today and need to switch. I've even been working out, walking and have been more active. The weight gain is awful, at least for me.

June 17, 2014 7:57 AM

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I took Prozac for about 25 years with good results

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by familiaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been on Prozac for a month and it really helps with the depression.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 9:28 AM

Review by olivia_nguyen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been taking this pill since grade 10 (so I've been on the medication for 4 yrs now) and I haven't experienced any bad side effects. But in my opinion, it didn't fully help me recover. Even over a year I've taken it, I would still get thoughts of suicide or hurting myself, either if it's physically or emotionally. But since last summer when I've told my youth worker about what's been going over in my life and she suggested I go to my psychologist and see if he'll up my dose or use a different medication or using therapy. I've went from 20 to 30 mg and I've been doing a lot better in my college tests and exams.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Half Pint:

No side effects. 20mg/day works well for me. My depression is a result of having Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (since 1992) and Fibromyalgia (since 2002).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate