User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex

Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Basal Cell Carcinoma 5 reviews 6 medications

8.5
Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 40 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Fluorouracil

Review by LTOV:

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: This is my second time around. I am on Day 10 of a 14-day regime; then steroid cream for another 14 days. I am in excuciating pain and I look horrific. I know it's a good thing but it is so painful. I wanted to write here to help encourage others; I found this site because I needed encouragement. I use a dish towel with fringe to flap against my face and that's the only relief I get. I forget how awful I look until I catch myself in a mirror.

January 3, 2015 11:05 PM

Review by So far so good!!!:

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: This is the 2nd time using this cream....more for a pre-cancerous treatment. I used it only on my nose 8 years ago. I am 10 days in on using Carac cream for my whole face. I thought there would be only a few areas but I have a lot of sun damage all over my face. Nothing on my nose (already treated), forehead less because I had bangs most of my life. During the day I use powder foundation to cover most of the dark red blotches so I can look normal. At night I take NyQuil to sleep. So far I can tolerate it all.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 7:50 PM

Review by Oilpainter:

For Keratosis: I was on Fluorouracil two times a day for two weeks. It wasn't too bad for the first 10 days then it continued to burn more with every application. The most painful part of the Fluorouracil treatment was after I completed the applications. A nurse recommended that I mix %u2153 cup of white vinegar with 6 cups of water and place the mixture in the refrigerator until chilled. Then, use a very soft wash cloth and the vinegar solution to cleanse my face. She also said to take the damp wash cloth and place it over my face for 15 minutes 4 times daily. Contrary to what I thought, the vinegar solution did not burn, it soothed incredibly.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Dee63 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: Before I started with Efudex I googled pictures and reviews, on seeing the pictures I decided to do one part of my face at a time, lip first and now I've just done 2 weeks on the right side of my face and I'm glad I did especially because I work in retail and the pain of feeling like you have cold sores all over your face, thank God for makeup is all I can say. I will do my right side once my left has healed and then my forehead followed by a micro dermabrasion. I think this product is amazing and the way it keeps working after you stop applying. Those who did your whole face all at once I take my hat off to you.

November 14, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by Carole Rains (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: Flouroracil 5% used on lower lip vermillion border for over a year. Two biopsies confirmed actinic keratosis. After application once a day for 4 days, lip would swell and ulcerate, then heal over 5 days.....lesion would return on day 6. Repeated this over and over for one year. Now going to participate in a study for Solaraze Gel. Will report findings in three months.

August 14, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by rainedeere (taken for less than 1 month):

For Skin Cancer: Used months ago on my upper chest now my skin looks 20 years younger there. I just had a surgery so I took advantage of a week prior starting it. Areas I would have never thought were the worst and I am thankful I used the product to help prevent and stop or slow an issue that would turn to cancer.

July 5, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by MrTommy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: My doctor found what he thought might be burgeoning skin cancer on my bald head. First time, he 'burned' them off with whatever he sprayed on my head. Next visit (way later on) he said the spots hadn't gone away. He prescribed "Carac" (fluorouracil) if I could afford it. Over $400/tube! But my insurance paid up to the $20 I had to pay, so I went for it. Four weeks of dabbing this stuff on my head, and the pre-cancerous spots are gone. During the treatment my head got all scabby and red. Had to buy some cheapo pillow cases because I would end up bleeding on them at night. I guess the scabs got rubbed off as I tossed and turned. Anyway, I'm totally satisfied with the outcome and would recommend this cream to anyone who can afford it.

February 26, 2014 1:42 PM

Review by NAH123:

For Skin Cancer: Used Efudex 7 years ago. Now using Carac 0.5%. Apparently the same dosage of Fluorouracil but in a different cream base. My dermatologist said that the Carac seems to be less aggressive. Only use once a day versus twice with Efudex. From my memory of Efudex, Carac seems much less raw so far. Still have the redness and tenderness but much more tolerable. One more week to go. Not sure on cost. Insurance covered it, luckily. (using tazarotine with Carac on scalp which helps absorption - skin is tougher)

February 24, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by Sun Baby #1:

For Keratosis: I was a "beach baby", dropped off at the beach althrough high school us girls would plaster ourselves with baby oil and sun-in our hair, spent time in sun tanning beds to get that California tan, but here I am 56 years old going through treatment. Like everyone here, yes it is itchy and unsightly to be seen in public. Feels like falling on asphalt scraped on your face, but it gets better. I finished treatment worried I was going to be left with a pinkish red scar across my forehead but from the time it started drying out and became itchy and rough like a bad sunburn I used Neosporin "cream" with pain medication on it during the day and at night used Neosporin gel and little by little the pinkness is going away and its only been a week!

February 23, 2014 4:26 PM

Review by BJ02145:

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: Im treating slightly raised warts which only partially respond to tea tree oil, EGCG cream, tazarotene and many herbal ointment containing thuja plus etc essential oils. To those wanting to use Efudex, there are articles stating 1% /0.5% are better tolerated, compared with 5%. But Carac is magnitude more expensive. I guess the lower % is less irritating as normal cells are not absorbing as much. If you have deep growth, 5FU may cause significant inflammation/edema that may be excruciatingly painful .I found using oral Serrapeptase 120k Ux2(empty stomach) helps a lot in terms of managing inflammation and pain. It seems the warts are responding dramatically

February 5, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by Nadine23:

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: I have found this cream is fantastic. There is a good deal of pain when using it but it kills the pre cancer cells. Read the directions and follow them.

September 26, 2013 9:09 PM

Review by bekku (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Keratosis: I have used this product for a couple of years. My regimen is to use it for 4-6 weeks, then give my skin a break. I repeat the process about every 3 months. It took me a long time to damage my skin in the sun, I don't expect it to clear up over night.

August 14, 2013 8:58 AM

Review by texsam (taken for less than 1 month):

For Keratosis: I am on day 6 of a 21 day prescription, and am finally seeing and feeling the redness, tight skin, and itching all over my face. I am very worried about what I will look like at the end of August when school starts (first day of school will be 8 days after treatment stops); I am a teacher and don't want to scare off my new students. I am thankful for the relief suggestions posted here, and I am also thankful that I did not procrastinate and I am getting this taken care of. I have seen many people with parts of their faces- ears, noses) removed due to cancers, so I think of the "after" to get me emotionally strong enough to bear these next few weeks. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

August 3, 2013 10:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Keratosis: Same as everyone else...very uncomfortable and hard to look at. Dr says many people go too far by continuing application of cream after 15 days. Stop. My dermatologist prescribed a steroid cream to relieve swelling and quicken the healing process. San Diego born and raised and growing up without sunscreen, there is a lot of sun damage that will be gone.

June 15, 2013 3:18 PM

Review by outdooraussie (taken for less than 1 month):

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: Age 66 - spent many years at sea and as you can imagine my facial skin was a mess. Doctor put me on Ufedix (how it is called here) two weeks ago and the results are amazing. Of course it is not a pretty sight and sleeping is a bit difficult, the reaction was clearly pictured in the brochure that I was given at the clinic - but it does not truly describe the actual sensations associated with the inflamation. A little concerned I browsed for reviews and found this sight - after reading the experiences of other users I feel much releaved - thanks to all for sharing their experiences, now I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Stay safe and keep well. Thank you.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2013 9:38 PM

Review by Largo7:

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: Used the product on my face for 6 weeks twice a day for two days every week. Depending on the extent of sun damage, the effects are dramatic and nasty looking. After the 2nd week the treated area looks like a bad sun burn, it itches, peels, weeps, bleeds and burns. But the results after stopping for 3-4 weeks are very good.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2013 2:27 PM

Review by afoben (taken for less than 1 month):

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: Be careful not to exceed time period recommended otherwise there will be extreme redness and pain. On the whole it seems to work but I have still got red skin after a few days without using it. Doctor recommended following with Eumovate but I'm not too happy with results.

August 2, 2012 5:16 AM

For Keratosis: I'm on day 18. Third day after stopping the cream. The first 14 days weren't so painful mainly uncomfortable. Today there is more tightness, dryness, itchiness and burning but still tolerable.

May 3, 2012 7:37 PM

For Keratosis: I am on day 12. It is very painful I can't imagine continuing to apply the cream for full 14 day treatment. Although after reading this forum I will continue as it sounds normal to feel pain at this point. I have heard the reaction is stronger between 2 to 4 weeks so I'm anxious thinking this could only get worse. Any help on that subject would be appreciated. I can apply the cream for 2 more days if I know that it can only get better. It seems weird to apply cream to such irritated areas thinking I'm just gonna make it worse. I have had stomach surgery and given birth to 2 children and this is almost more painful. I am confident the results will be worth it in the end though. My doctor prescribed a steroid cream.

February 12, 2012 10:57 AM

Review by JimL1014:

For Keratosis: I am a 56 year old male, on Day 6 of the fluorouracil 5% topical treatment on my face and bald head. No problems so far; skin is getting a little red and splotchy, but not too noticeable yet. Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments - very, very helpful and comforting to hear about the problems and possible solutions, and the successes. Thank you!! Very helpful and comforting.

January 13, 2012 10:00 AM

Carac (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: I've been using Carac off and on for over a year. I did my face for three weeks, then my chest, then my back. I am now going back over specific areas of my face. This cream is amazing. It is somewhat painful and quite unattractive visually as you are going through the treatment, but the results are worth it. My skin doesn't have rough red patches of scaly skin anymore and no more discoloration. I would definitely recommend it!

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2012 6:28 PM

Review by Skipkeller:

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: Was using Efudex which had harsh side effects (redness, sewlling). Doc then switched me to Carac - in same chemical class as Efudex but milder, yet very effective for me.

December 26, 2011 1:07 PM

Review by proactive:

For Keratosis: The first treatment was rough, but since then its easier every time and I only need treatments about every five years now. It takes a week longer to work on the body. Time your treatments for when you can keep your body covered and minimize public exposure. I like to start in early October so I'm presentable by the holidays. Do a different area every year until you're clear, e.g. arms and legs, trunk, and face and hands. Do the hands with the face because you can't hide them when you're in public, so you might as well do them both at a time when you can minimize your exposure to people. While doing the body, be careful of migration of the medicine to the face on your sheets and by touching your face. You will look younger.

October 15, 2011 7:34 PM

Review by doublesharp:

For Keratosis: So glad to find this forum. I'm 8 days into treatment and boy am I splotchy bright red on my face. I can tell it's working but I didn't follow my doctors suggestion that I wait until late fall to start treatment. About my 3rd day of treatment I slathered Banana Boat SPF30 sunscreen right after applying fluorouracil. It burned for 3 days. I'm 60 and fair complexion. I've spent many hours on the water and my forehead, nose, temples were cracking and scaly, often bleeding when irritated. Doctor said my damage was too widespread for other methods of treatment. I think it's working but I'm sure looking forward to getting this next week over. I'm using baby oil and Neosporin as well as some fancy oil my wife gave me to keep skin moist.

June 10, 2011 1:29 PM

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: Efudex successfully combated skin abnormalities that my doctor had cancer concerns about. I used Efudex for ten days and then stopped because of blistering; they were small, but covered my face. It's been almost two months after my treatment and I still have an unsightly, coarse rash. The steriod cream I used five days afterwards eased the appearance of the rash, but because of concerns over skin thinning, I could not continue with the cream.

February 6, 2011 4:24 PM