User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex, Tolak

Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Keratosis 34 reviews 12 medications

8.2
Warts 1 reviews 30 medications

Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 62 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Fluorouracil

For Actinic Keratosis: "I have been applying cream to my face for actinic keratosis for 3 weeks and my face looks horrible , like I have been burned bad. I have 1 week to go and hope I make it. It makes your skin burn and itch so bad but that is better than someday having to have surgery to remove skin. I found that if you apply vaseline to lips and eye lids before you wash your face helps not getting it on them. You do not want to get it on your lips ,it burns them really bad. I hope I make it through this ."

debaroonie December 24, 2015

For Actinic Keratosis: "I'm into week three of of six of effudex all over my chest after living in the tropics for 45 years. I have been told to use it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening before bed. By Saturday it is so painful and itchy, but quietens down Sunday, Monday until I have to start again. I can't imagine what it must be like using it twice a day for 6 weeks. I'm using Aloe Vera in the mornings which calms the itching. Now I am getting scabs and dry skin and having a hard time keeping my fingers away from picking at it. Last time I used it daily on a patch on my face and was left with a red patch for nearly two years. I'm wondering whether some of you are suffering unnecessarily from effudex being over prescribed. I live in the UK and don't have to pay much"

Jadefish (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

Fluoroplex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Like many other Topical creams for skin cancer, It has a burning effect. Dryness then flaking on the area's applied. It helps when the flaking has stopped and your skin has had time to repair the dead drying and sometimes a bit of bleeding in my cases. but seems to get rid of the skin cancer. So for about a week you will look a little scally best used before or after any family photo's."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Was prescribed Carac for use on arms, chest and face 7 years ago. At that time the cream did smooth my skin. After years of discontinued use, my skin where I applied Carac is horrible."

Laurie W (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I am a 70 year old male who suffers from Actinick Keratosis from exposure to the harsh rays of the sun. Efudex is a fantastic product. Does exactly what is claimed. Make sure that you wash your hands completely after each application. Do not get it on your lips or you will experience great discomfort, (cracked and bleeding lips). Once you have completed the process (twice a day for 21 days), use Hydroval Cream 0.2% to assist in the healing process (works great)."

Tiny704 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "This is the best!! I've been using it for 4 years and it is absolutely the best solution for AK's. I am 60 years old, fair skin, been outside for years and developed way too many AK's, not to mention basal and squamous problems too. For years, the dermatologist only used spot nitrogen and prescribed caramac. I can only assume she didn't prescribe efudex because she needed the steady income stream from me and my insurance. By chance I was having a physical from my family doctor. He asked me when I was going to address my AK;s on forehead. I told him I did, and he told me he could write me a prescription for medicine that solves it, efudex. He did and I amazed at the ending results. Yes, the efudex was painful, looked bad when it was working but results speak for them self"

j mack (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

For Keratosis: "This was well worth doing. I initially did my face and a year later am back doing my scalp to finish the process - should have done it all at once. It completely removed all brown spots and left my skin looking 15 years younger. It took three weeks before my skin started "smoldering" but it wasn't more painful than a sunburn. Looked very red and I worked from home for about a week. This worked beyond my dermatologist's and my best case scenario. Awesome!"

TJ Fly September 5, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Had very adverse reaction after 8 days of applying cream to chest ended up with severe open skin wounds needed antibiotics, lidocaine gel, silvadine creme, prendisone, oxicodone, altrax, and ambien to sleep sooooooo painful."

stillitchy (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have been using Carac for over 10 years. After reading the recent comments I was in SHOCK on the prescribed treatment cycles and application. Carac cream has removed many points of Keratosis on my face. Also, it has eliminated several Basal Cell Carcinoma. What works best for me, from experience is, On Keratosis, 2 to 3 times a week,before bedtime, on specific areas. For BCC, a regiment of daily for 5 days ONLY, 10 to 15 days without (allows time for skin recovery) and proceed as needed, bedtime. All under recommendation from one of nations top dermatologist. The whole face for 14-18 days, that is completely unheard of. I hope this helps."

PanamaRoy (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2015

For : "I went deep sea fishing and a spot on the side of my face started bleeding so I asked my nurse/practitioner for some cream because my wife had used it and it had worked. I spread it on both side of my face to make sure and to my surprise two large areas turned red with elongated splotches of black. At night my pillow is covered in blood and lymph fluid. After 3 weeks I'm stopping because it keeps getting worse and doesn't seem to heal."

Steve S. August 9, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Worked great for me, some pain but when I was done my face was like a baby's butt. Stay home for 30 days"

Trueser August 5, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "62 year old blonde with blue eyes and fair skin. Spent 50 years in CA and HI getting sunburned. Now....paying the price. I have used Efudex and Carac cream treatments, both burn like crazy, peeling several layers, and red, red, red. I did my whole face at one time, but had to stop after 18 days applying once a day. Had blisters and bleeding, crying quite a bit. It took two months after stopping the treatment for the pinkness to disappear. Using sf 50 every day now under my makeup. Get lots of compliments on how young my skin looks. :o) Now I am doing my chest. ten days into the treatment with 18 day plan. Not as painful as my face since the skin is thicker. Still very red and starting to peel today. Using ibuprofen."

island gal August 4, 2015

For Warts: "So I have had this wart on my thumb near my nail for about a year now. Finally I went to the derm and she told Me it was a periungal wart. I was told to use this cream overnight with a bandaid until it was gone. It has been over a month and still no progress. It still is growing and still looks the same as it did. Advice is welcome. I have a bigger one on my left thumb and smaller one on my Right."

DeiDee July 31, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "I have done this Efudex treatment three times over a 20 year time span. It is a hideous process but it beats the alternatives! KNIVES cutting you up in particular. I use and recommend AQUAPHOR instead of the expensive prescribed cortisone cream for a quicker more effective healing process. I think EFUDEX is Great!"

FanchonLinda June 2, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "I am now into my 15 day of using the efudix cream and I look scary I was told by my skin specialist to do my whole face and as directed have done so .I am a 51 year old woman that grew up on the coast and never thought any thing of it. After having a melanoma removed last year the ugliness ,pain and itchiness of this treatment is far better than a alternative outcome .Like others googled pictures and was horrified but remember the out come will be beautiful I would do it again in a heart beat."

ford6970 May 14, 2015

Fluoroplex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "My doctor gave me this cream to use on precancerous spots on my face. She told me I could try on other spots as well. I have a large number of keratosi (plural?) on the tops of my thighs. I decided to try it out on them. It has only been a few days and they are almost completely gone!"

Rasunder May 10, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am just about to start treatment for superficial BCC on my hands, feet legs and nose, obviously from all I have read , I am going to do it in stages. I am having to plan this around a conference, my children's exams and prom dance!! I know that it is going to get really painful. Has anyone done their hands or feet or both at the same time? I am doing a test patch on my arms at the moment to see how skin reacts - on the advice of my doc Some guidance would be much appreciated"

Caryn pen (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

For Keratosis: "Works great, the only issue was that after 4 days I could not drink enough, lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks, checked my blood sugar and it was well over 300. I was not a diabetic and haven't been diagnosed as one yet. Went to Doctor to have things checked out and we're watching things closely, still not on medication for diabetes, but blood sugar has dropped to normal range 4 weeks after stopping this medication. Nurse at Dermatologist office stated that it's just me, it's not the medication. My blood sugar now varies from 86 to 113 for the most part."

Check your blood sugar April 22, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Keratosis on my scalp is an ongoing problem...Carac proved to be a great treatment to remove these unsightly pre-cancerous growths...On it for a two week treatment period...No pain, just some small patches of redness...The only problem I have with this medicine is the outrageous cost for a tiny tube. Be certain to wash hands immediately if you apply it that way, or even better use a cue tip."

Retired44 March 27, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Used years ago my arms and it was successful for a time, after healing. But arms look like they once did. Red hair and freckles growing up in az before sunblock was used!! Now using on forehead. It's miserable I hope it works. All I can say is take it one day at at time. Keep battling."

War dog March 20, 2015

For Skin Cancer: "I am on week 8 using 5% flourouracil once a day for 6 weeks M-F. Thank goodness I had weekends off or I might not have stuck with it -- weeks 5 and 6 were exceptionally painful. My chest is still red and flaky and there is still pain/itching (reminds me of Shingles just not as intense). And I'm able to sleep through the night again without waking due to pain when shifting in my sleep. I'm glad I stumbled on this site. I'm stopping on the way home for vinegar and moisturizer since several of you seem to have found relief."

Dubers (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2015

For Skin Cancer: "I'm a 57 year old former sun worshipper. I'm 2 1/2 weeks into 4 weeks of treating squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma on my legs, and actinic keratosis on my face, applying fluorouracil twice per day. I'm covering the spots on my legs with micropore tape. After the fluoroucil has been on my face for 45 minutes, I cover my face with Aquaphor to ease the crusting and dryness. I'm anxious to see the end result. Regarding the cost...USE THOSE FREE PRESCRIPTION DISCOUNT MEDICINE CARDS! And the cost can be different with each card. "

sunskin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Keratosis: "In week 3 of Efudex treatment and my skin is still raw and peeling, though less than at day 14. I applied it twice daily for two weeks; I personally could not have gone one more day past day 14. The first week was not too bad without much noticeable effect. Week 2 was a different story. My skin, especially on my lower forehead, nose and cheek area adjacent to my nose became extremely red and raw, like a severe sunburn. Also behind my ears and in the folds of my neck. I found it difficult both physically and mentally to apply more cream to those areas because of the pain. My Dr. says everything looks excellent. Applying a Rx'd cortisone cream now, but fading is very slow. Best I can offer is hang in there."

Red raccoon (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "This is my second time around. I am on Day 10 of a 14-day regime; then steroid cream for another 14 days. I am in excuciating pain and I look horrific. I know it's a good thing but it is so painful. I wanted to write here to help encourage others; I found this site because I needed encouragement. I use a dish towel with fringe to flap against my face and that's the only relief I get. I forget how awful I look until I catch myself in a mirror."

LTOV January 3, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "This is the 2nd time using this cream....more for a pre-cancerous treatment. I used it only on my nose 8 years ago. I am 10 days in on using Carac cream for my whole face. I thought there would be only a few areas but I have a lot of sun damage all over my face. Nothing on my nose (already treated), forehead less because I had bangs most of my life. During the day I use powder foundation to cover most of the dark red blotches so I can look normal. At night I take NyQuil to sleep. So far I can tolerate it all."

So far so good!!! January 1, 2015