User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex

Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Basal Cell Carcinoma 6 reviews 6 medications

9.4
Keratosis 28 reviews 13 medications

8.8
Skin Cancer 15 reviews 4 medications

8.3
Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 49 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Fluorouracil

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "I am now into my 15 day of using the efudix cream and I look scary I was told by my skin specialist to do my whole face and as directed have done so .I am a 51 year old woman that grew up on the coast and never thought any thing of it. After having a melanoma removed last year the ugliness ,pain and itchiness of this treatment is far better than a alternative outcome .Like others googled pictures and was horrified but remember the out come will be beautiful I would do it again in a heart beat."

ford6970 May 14, 2015

Fluoroplex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "My doctor gave me this cream to use on precancerous spots on my face. She told me I could try on other spots as well. I have a large number of keratosi (plural?) on the tops of my thighs. I decided to try it out on them. It has only been a few days and they are almost completely gone!"

Rasunder May 10, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am just about to start treatment for superficial BCC on my hands, feet legs and nose, obviously from all I have read , I am going to do it in stages. I am having to plan this around a conference, my children's exams and prom dance!! I know that it is going to get really painful. Has anyone done their hands or feet or both at the same time? I am doing a test patch on my arms at the moment to see how skin reacts - on the advice of my doc Some guidance would be much appreciated"

Caryn pen (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

For Keratosis: "Works great, the only issue was that after 4 days I could not drink enough, lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks, checked my blood sugar and it was well over 300. I was not a diabetic and haven't been diagnosed as one yet. Went to Doctor to have things checked out and we're watching things closely, still not on medication for diabetes, but blood sugar has dropped to normal range 4 weeks after stopping this medication. Nurse at Dermatologist office stated that it's just me, it's not the medication. My blood sugar now varies from 86 to 113 for the most part."

Check your blood sugar April 22, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Keratosis on my scalp is an ongoing problem...Carac proved to be a great treatment to remove these unsightly pre-cancerous growths...On it for a two week treatment period...No pain, just some small patches of redness...The only problem I have with this medicine is the outrageous cost for a tiny tube. Be certain to wash hands immediately if you apply it that way, or even better use a cue tip."

Retired44 March 27, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Used years ago my arms and it was successful for a time, after healing. But arms look like they once did. Red hair and freckles growing up in az before sunblock was used!! Now using on forehead. It's miserable I hope it works. All I can say is take it one day at at time. Keep battling."

War dog March 20, 2015

For Skin Cancer: "I am on week 8 using 5% flourouracil once a day for 6 weeks M-F. Thank goodness I had weekends off or I might not have stuck with it -- weeks 5 and 6 were exceptionally painful. My chest is still red and flaky and there is still pain/itching (reminds me of Shingles just not as intense). And I'm able to sleep through the night again without waking due to pain when shifting in my sleep. I'm glad I stumbled on this site. I'm stopping on the way home for vinegar and moisturizer since several of you seem to have found relief."

Dubers (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2015

For Skin Cancer: "I'm a 57 year old former sun worshipper. I'm 2 1/2 weeks into 4 weeks of treating squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma on my legs, and actinic keratosis on my face, applying fluorouracil twice per day. I'm covering the spots on my legs with micropore tape. After the fluoroucil has been on my face for 45 minutes, I cover my face with Aquaphor to ease the crusting and dryness. I'm anxious to see the end result. Regarding the cost...USE THOSE FREE PRESCRIPTION DISCOUNT MEDICINE CARDS! And the cost can be different with each card. "

sunskin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Keratosis: "In week 3 of Efudex treatment and my skin is still raw and peeling, though less than at day 14. I applied it twice daily for two weeks; I personally could not have gone one more day past day 14. The first week was not too bad without much noticeable effect. Week 2 was a different story. My skin, especially on my lower forehead, nose and cheek area adjacent to my nose became extremely red and raw, like a severe sunburn. Also behind my ears and in the folds of my neck. I found it difficult both physically and mentally to apply more cream to those areas because of the pain. My Dr. says everything looks excellent. Applying a Rx'd cortisone cream now, but fading is very slow. Best I can offer is hang in there."

Red raccoon (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "This is my second time around. I am on Day 10 of a 14-day regime; then steroid cream for another 14 days. I am in excuciating pain and I look horrific. I know it's a good thing but it is so painful. I wanted to write here to help encourage others; I found this site because I needed encouragement. I use a dish towel with fringe to flap against my face and that's the only relief I get. I forget how awful I look until I catch myself in a mirror."

LTOV January 3, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "This is the 2nd time using this cream....more for a pre-cancerous treatment. I used it only on my nose 8 years ago. I am 10 days in on using Carac cream for my whole face. I thought there would be only a few areas but I have a lot of sun damage all over my face. Nothing on my nose (already treated), forehead less because I had bangs most of my life. During the day I use powder foundation to cover most of the dark red blotches so I can look normal. At night I take NyQuil to sleep. So far I can tolerate it all."

So far so good!!! January 1, 2015

For Keratosis: "I was on Fluorouracil two times a day for two weeks. It wasn't too bad for the first 10 days then it continued to burn more with every application. The most painful part of the Fluorouracil treatment was after I completed the applications. A nurse recommended that I mix %u2153 cup of white vinegar with 6 cups of water and place the mixture in the refrigerator until chilled. Then, use a very soft wash cloth and the vinegar solution to cleanse my face. She also said to take the damp wash cloth and place it over my face for 15 minutes 4 times daily. Contrary to what I thought, the vinegar solution did not burn, it soothed incredibly."

Oilpainter December 25, 2014

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Before I started with Efudex I googled pictures and reviews, on seeing the pictures I decided to do one part of my face at a time, lip first and now I've just done 2 weeks on the right side of my face and I'm glad I did especially because I work in retail and the pain of feeling like you have cold sores all over your face, thank God for makeup is all I can say. I will do my right side once my left has healed and then my forehead followed by a micro dermabrasion. I think this product is amazing and the way it keeps working after you stop applying. Those who did your whole face all at once I take my hat off to you."

Dee63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2014

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Flouroracil 5% used on lower lip vermillion border for over a year. Two biopsies confirmed actinic keratosis. After application once a day for 4 days, lip would swell and ulcerate, then heal over 5 days.....lesion would return on day 6. Repeated this over and over for one year. Now going to participate in a study for Solaraze Gel. Will report findings in three months."

Carole Rains (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2014

For Skin Cancer: "Used months ago on my upper chest now my skin looks 20 years younger there. I just had a surgery so I took advantage of a week prior starting it. Areas I would have never thought were the worst and I am thankful I used the product to help prevent and stop or slow an issue that would turn to cancer."

rainedeere (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2014

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "My doctor found what he thought might be burgeoning skin cancer on my bald head. First time, he 'burned' them off with whatever he sprayed on my head. Next visit (way later on) he said the spots hadn't gone away. He prescribed "Carac" (fluorouracil) if I could afford it. Over $400/tube! But my insurance paid up to the $20 I had to pay, so I went for it. Four weeks of dabbing this stuff on my head, and the pre-cancerous spots are gone. During the treatment my head got all scabby and red. Had to buy some cheapo pillow cases because I would end up bleeding on them at night. I guess the scabs got rubbed off as I tossed and turned. Anyway, I'm totally satisfied with the outcome and would recommend this cream to anyone who can afford it."

MrTommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2014

For Skin Cancer: "Used Efudex 7 years ago. Now using Carac 0.5%. Apparently the same dosage of Fluorouracil but in a different cream base. My dermatologist said that the Carac seems to be less aggressive. Only use once a day versus twice with Efudex. From my memory of Efudex, Carac seems much less raw so far. Still have the redness and tenderness but much more tolerable. One more week to go. Not sure on cost. Insurance covered it, luckily. (using tazarotine with Carac on scalp which helps absorption - skin is tougher)"

NAH123 February 24, 2014

For Keratosis: "I was a "beach baby", dropped off at the beach althrough high school us girls would plaster ourselves with baby oil and sun-in our hair, spent time in sun tanning beds to get that California tan, but here I am 56 years old going through treatment. Like everyone here, yes it is itchy and unsightly to be seen in public. Feels like falling on asphalt scraped on your face, but it gets better. I finished treatment worried I was going to be left with a pinkish red scar across my forehead but from the time it started drying out and became itchy and rough like a bad sunburn I used Neosporin "cream" with pain medication on it during the day and at night used Neosporin gel and little by little the pinkness is going away and its only been a week!"

Sun Baby #1 February 23, 2014

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Im treating slightly raised warts which only partially respond to tea tree oil, EGCG cream, tazarotene and many herbal ointment containing thuja plus etc essential oils. To those wanting to use Efudex, there are articles stating 1% /0.5% are better tolerated, compared with 5%. But Carac is magnitude more expensive. I guess the lower % is less irritating as normal cells are not absorbing as much. If you have deep growth, 5FU may cause significant inflammation/edema that may be excruciatingly painful .I found using oral Serrapeptase 120k Ux2(empty stomach) helps a lot in terms of managing inflammation and pain. It seems the warts are responding dramatically"

BJ02145 February 5, 2014

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "I have found this cream is fantastic. There is a good deal of pain when using it but it kills the pre cancer cells. Read the directions and follow them."

Nadine23 September 26, 2013

For Keratosis: "I have used this product for a couple of years. My regimen is to use it for 4-6 weeks, then give my skin a break. I repeat the process about every 3 months. It took me a long time to damage my skin in the sun, I don't expect it to clear up over night."

bekku (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2013

For Keratosis: "I am on day 6 of a 21 day prescription, and am finally seeing and feeling the redness, tight skin, and itching all over my face. I am very worried about what I will look like at the end of August when school starts (first day of school will be 8 days after treatment stops); I am a teacher and don't want to scare off my new students. I am thankful for the relief suggestions posted here, and I am also thankful that I did not procrastinate and I am getting this taken care of. I have seen many people with parts of their faces- ears, noses) removed due to cancers, so I think of the "after" to get me emotionally strong enough to bear these next few weeks. Thanks for sharing your experiences."

texsam (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2013

For Keratosis: "Same as everyone else...very uncomfortable and hard to look at. Dr says many people go too far by continuing application of cream after 15 days. Stop. My dermatologist prescribed a steroid cream to relieve swelling and quicken the healing process. San Diego born and raised and growing up without sunscreen, there is a lot of sun damage that will be gone. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Age 66 - spent many years at sea and as you can imagine my facial skin was a mess. Doctor put me on Ufedix (how it is called here) two weeks ago and the results are amazing. Of course it is not a pretty sight and sleeping is a bit difficult, the reaction was clearly pictured in the brochure that I was given at the clinic - but it does not truly describe the actual sensations associated with the inflamation. A little concerned I browsed for reviews and found this sight - after reading the experiences of other users I feel much releaved - thanks to all for sharing their experiences, now I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Stay safe and keep well. Thank you."

outdooraussie (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Used the product on my face for 6 weeks twice a day for two days every week. Depending on the extent of sun damage, the effects are dramatic and nasty looking. After the 2nd week the treated area looks like a bad sun burn, it itches, peels, weeps, bleeds and burns. But the results after stopping for 3-4 weeks are very good."

Largo7 March 5, 2013

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate