User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex

Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Fluorouracil review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Keratosis.

Reviews for Fluorouracil to treat Keratosis

Review by Carole Rains (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Efudex (fluorouracil): Flouroracil 5% used on lower lip vermillion border for over a year. Two biopsies confirmed actinic keratosis. After application once a day for 4 days, lip would swell and ulcerate, then heal over 5 days.....lesion would return on day 6. Repeated this over and over for one year. Now going to participate in a study for Solaraze Gel. Will report findings in three months.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by Sun Baby #1:

I was a "beach baby", dropped off at the beach althrough high school us girls would plaster ourselves with baby oil and sun-in our hair, spent time in sun tanning beds to get that California tan, but here I am 56 years old going through treatment. Like everyone here, yes it is itchy and unsightly to be seen in public. Feels like falling on asphalt scraped on your face, but it gets better. I finished treatment worried I was going to be left with a pinkish red scar across my forehead but from the time it started drying out and became itchy and rough like a bad sunburn I used Neosporin "cream" with pain medication on it during the day and at night used Neosporin gel and little by little the pinkness is going away and its only been a week!

February 23, 2014 4:26 PM

Review by bekku (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have used this product for a couple of years. My regimen is to use it for 4-6 weeks, then give my skin a break. I repeat the process about every 3 months. It took me a long time to damage my skin in the sun, I don't expect it to clear up over night.

August 14, 2013 8:58 AM

Review by texsam (taken for less than 1 month):

I am on day 6 of a 21 day prescription, and am finally seeing and feeling the redness, tight skin, and itching all over my face. I am very worried about what I will look like at the end of August when school starts (first day of school will be 8 days after treatment stops); I am a teacher and don't want to scare off my new students. I am thankful for the relief suggestions posted here, and I am also thankful that I did not procrastinate and I am getting this taken care of. I have seen many people with parts of their faces- ears, noses) removed due to cancers, so I think of the "after" to get me emotionally strong enough to bear these next few weeks. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

August 3, 2013 10:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Same as everyone else...very uncomfortable and hard to look at. Dr says many people go too far by continuing application of cream after 15 days. Stop. My dermatologist prescribed a steroid cream to relieve swelling and quicken the healing process. San Diego born and raised and growing up without sunscreen, there is a lot of sun damage that will be gone.

June 15, 2013 3:18 PM

Review by Largo7:

Efudex (fluorouracil): Used the product on my face for 6 weeks twice a day for two days every week. Depending on the extent of sun damage, the effects are dramatic and nasty looking. After the 2nd week the treated area looks like a bad sun burn, it itches, peels, weeps, bleeds and burns. But the results after stopping for 3-4 weeks are very good.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2013 2:27 PM

Review by afoben (taken for less than 1 month):

Efudex (fluorouracil): Be careful not to exceed time period recommended otherwise there will be extreme redness and pain. On the whole it seems to work but I have still got red skin after a few days without using it. Doctor recommended following with Eumovate but I'm not too happy with results.

August 2, 2012 5:16 AM

I'm on day 18. Third day after stopping the cream. The first 14 days weren't so painful mainly uncomfortable. Today there is more tightness, dryness, itchiness and burning but still tolerable.

May 3, 2012 7:37 PM

I am on day 12. It is very painful I can't imagine continuing to apply the cream for full 14 day treatment. Although after reading this forum I will continue as it sounds normal to feel pain at this point. I have heard the reaction is stronger between 2 to 4 weeks so I'm anxious thinking this could only get worse. Any help on that subject would be appreciated. I can apply the cream for 2 more days if I know that it can only get better. It seems weird to apply cream to such irritated areas thinking I'm just gonna make it worse. I have had stomach surgery and given birth to 2 children and this is almost more painful. I am confident the results will be worth it in the end though. My doctor prescribed a steroid cream.

February 12, 2012 10:57 AM

Review by JimL1014:

I am a 56 year old male, on Day 6 of the fluorouracil 5% topical treatment on my face and bald head. No problems so far; skin is getting a little red and splotchy, but not too noticeable yet. Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments - very, very helpful and comforting to hear about the problems and possible solutions, and the successes. Thank you!! Very helpful and comforting.

January 13, 2012 10:00 AM

Review by Skipkeller:

Carac (fluorouracil): Was using Efudex which had harsh side effects (redness, sewlling). Doc then switched me to Carac - in same chemical class as Efudex but milder, yet very effective for me.

December 26, 2011 1:07 PM

Review by proactive:

The first treatment was rough, but since then its easier every time and I only need treatments about every five years now. It takes a week longer to work on the body. Time your treatments for when you can keep your body covered and minimize public exposure. I like to start in early October so I'm presentable by the holidays. Do a different area every year until you're clear, e.g. arms and legs, trunk, and face and hands. Do the hands with the face because you can't hide them when you're in public, so you might as well do them both at a time when you can minimize your exposure to people. While doing the body, be careful of migration of the medicine to the face on your sheets and by touching your face. You will look younger.

October 15, 2011 7:34 PM

Review by doublesharp:

So glad to find this forum. I'm 8 days into treatment and boy am I splotchy bright red on my face. I can tell it's working but I didn't follow my doctors suggestion that I wait until late fall to start treatment. About my 3rd day of treatment I slathered Banana Boat SPF30 sunscreen right after applying fluorouracil. It burned for 3 days. I'm 60 and fair complexion. I've spent many hours on the water and my forehead, nose, temples were cracking and scaly, often bleeding when irritated. Doctor said my damage was too widespread for other methods of treatment. I think it's working but I'm sure looking forward to getting this next week over. I'm using baby oil and Neosporin as well as some fancy oil my wife gave me to keep skin moist.

June 10, 2011 1:29 PM

Review by Richard - NC:

Efudex (fluorouracil): I'm an engineer, now in my 60s, and I have worked outside all my life. I have red hair and fair complexion you can imagine the skin damage I have accumulated in my lifetime. I had used the Efudex 5% cream years ago and had good results. Three months ago I began seeing a dermatologist that recommended the "new" technology "BLUE LIGHT TREATMENTS". This did NOT work for me gave me a very mild "sunburn" with no apparent effect on the former skin damage and it was very expensive even after insurance coverage! I requested my treatment be changed to the proven Efudex my doctor insisted I stay with the "blue light", that my skin was "in very good condition" and that I only needed "maintenance". As you may guess I have changed physicians and now I am being treated with Efudex again. My skin is now in full reaction after only two weeks treatment with Efudex. Yes with Efudex your skin is unsightly and uncomfortable from week 2 through to week 4; but, this is a small price to be cancer free. Efudex works!

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2010 6:45 AM

Carac (fluorouracil): I just finished a 14 day usage of Carac, as prescribed by my skin doctor. After the first two days my skin started to turn red, by the 7th it started to flake and the areas that I needed to apply it to ( cheeks, temples and forehead ) turned dark red, like a bad sunburn. Days 8 -14 were the worst as to pain on these areas when showering in lukewarm water or washing from sink bowl, either way I could feel a burning sensation, as well as light bleeding at some areas on the next to last day. Flaking of skin and itchy feeling now that treatment is done. I wonder how long before my skin color returns to normal. Would I do this again? Yes

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2010 5:20 PM

Review by pdxbuc:

Carac (fluorouracil): Just finished my 4 week course of Carac cream. Here is my advice. MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE! I went to Rite-Aide and purchased a large bottle of Vitamin E and ALOE gel moisturizer (nothing with alcohol, which will burn or oil, which is difficult to remove) as well as a bottle of Baby Wash (you know, "no more tears"). Only wash your affected area (mine was face and scalp) with the baby wash (doesn't dry out skin) and once the Carac has been applied, wait about 1/2 hour and begin applying the moisturizer. I used the moisturizer heavily 5 or 6 times per day. It soaked right up and worked great. Felt like a light sun-burn with moderate peeling and when I was done and I healed up in a snap.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2010 4:21 PM

Review by day14:

Carac (fluorouracil): I am on day 14 of using Carac. My face is extremely red, tight, itchy and a little sore, but I've had serious eczema in the past and this isn't nearly as bad as that was. It took about a week to show up on my forehead but then a couple more days they started intensifying on my cheeks, chin and sides of my face. It is a little unsightly but once I explained to people what was going on and that it wasn't permanent or contagious they seemed to relax. I tried Vaseline for moisturizing but that seems too greasy. Products with zinc oxide in them seem to give me relief and protect me from the sun as well. Please do not spend ANY time in the sun when using this. The doctor told me it could permanently make your skin darker in those areas!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2009 5:06 PM

Review by froghopper1:

Efudex (fluorouracil): This is my second time around with Efudex. I swear by it for effectiveness. Side effects are bad: breaking out looks unsightly, itching makes you feel like you want to scratch off your skin. The best relief I have found is Tylenol for pain and Calendula Cream (Marigold Cream) for the relief of irritated skin. That's keeping me sane and I am on week 4 overall: 16 days using medication the remainder trying to overcome side effects. Good luck to everyone. I still have more to go....

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2009 1:10 AM

Efudex (fluorouracil): I tried the Traumeel another user suggested. It did nothing to help with the pain. The only relief I have found so far is Tylenol, Extra Strength and Aquaphor once everything has been pulled to the surface. Of course keeping the affected areas uncovered is a huge help. I sleep on a beach towel over my sheets so the shedding and peeling are "contained". It's the only way I don't itch throughout the night and even if I do, the roughness of the towel helps to get it off the skin. Hope this helps.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2009 3:18 AM

Efudex (fluorouracil): I ended up in the hospital with a very serious allergic reaction to Efudex. Started with nausea and diarrhea, went into hives, swelling in my lips, mouth, all over my body. I have been out of the hospital for a week my voice is still hoarse, I still have a rash not feeling well at all. I'm on Prednisone to counteract the allergic reaction.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2009 5:44 PM

Review by urphotoguy:

Efudex (fluorouracil): Efudex works great but is very painful and itchy after about two weeks. I tried many creams to relieve the symptoms between applications of the Efudex. One cream that REALLY helped was Traumeel. What a sanity saver. Just thought I would pass this on for others to get some relief. I hope it can help you too.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2009 10:39 AM

Efudex (fluorouracil): Efudex works great to eliminate actinic keratosis. I have used it before and unfortunately am using it again. It becomes VERY unsightly.. blotchy, swollen, very painful, etc, but it works.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2009 10:34 PM