User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1056 reviews 251 medications

6.7
Summary of Implanon reviews 1056 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "Im 27 yrs old mother of 2 and I've had the implanon for a yr and a half and the first week my mood swings were crazy, I was crying uncontrollably at times...when I got the implant I was 105 never had any weight issues in my life, now I hungry all the time, I never feel full or satisfied, I'm now 122 and I'm not happy about it..I wanted to wait the 3 yrs before removing it because it costs so much but Im considering taking it out very soon...also since being on this I have a full 7 day period every other week and I went to the doctor about it and all they wanted to do was pit me on the low low estrogen daily pill, I'd I was any good at taking a daily pill I wouldn't have gotten the implan js."

ssmith2902 May 27, 2015

For Birth Control "If there was an option for zero stars out of ten it would receive zero. I got this put in my arm about a year and a half ago and since then have put on right around 100lbs. I never get a period but have the worst cramps I've ever had in my life around every 3 months. I've never had acne, and now I can't get rid of it no matter how much medication I use. I am overly emotional and have the worst mood swings. My best advice: STAY AWAY FROM IMPLANON"

Keirsten May 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I got this put in my arm a little over a month ago. The past few weeks I went from having perfectly clear skin to having breakouts. Though the breakouts aren't horrible, they are bad enough for me to wish I had gone with something else. I'm actually considering having it removed if it doesn't clear up soon. Why should I have to take a step down in the looks department just so I won't get pregnant? I haven't experienced any other side effects besides the breakouts. Overall, making the decision to have a birth control that you can't remove on your own is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. They're expensive and if they don't work out, that's money down the drain."

BrittneyCandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2015

For Birth Control "Man oh man. Let me tell ya'll about this implanon birth control. I got this implant in my arm one month after I had my twin girls. I just got it taken out yesterday, I had this piece of shit a little over a year. Putting it in isn't bad. But I bled for that whole year and one month! Extremely heavy. At one point I thought I had to go to the ER. Not only that hair loss is one of the side effects that they don't tell you about in the doctors office. My hair has gotten so damn thin it's a shame. PLUS don't forget about the acne that never goes away, no matter how many times you wash your face lol. I've read that woman gained weight on this, but for me it was the complete opposite, I lost a lot of weight.. Plus constant mood swings!"

Maeva Carneva May 22, 2015

For Birth Control "First two weeks, arm was sensitive and painful. Could feel the implant but after two weeks, I didn't notice it at all. But I have lost my sex drive, am moody and have had 7 months of spotting and bleeding. Have to constantly line my panties. Lighter periods. No weight gain. Had UTI recently but not sure if that's related. Hope it gets better."

20yearold May 22, 2015

For Birth Control "Second implant (5 yrs). Severe headaches, permanent 5 year long period with a small relief each month, acne, hormonal problems, severe abdominal pain, my kidney stones were nothing compared to what the doctors thought were ovarian cysts bursting (its a side effect, another no one knew/told me/made info accessible).So much they don't know. Don't get it if you have depressive tendencies! Again no info I could find at the time! Mental health has been appalling; raging anger; mood swings; depression; anxiety. Don't feel pressure to get it or stay on it if it's not for you. It's your body! I pressured myself in fear of pregnancy ruining my life plan, but I'd rather deal with unwantedpreg. I want to be myself again without symptoms! Not recommend"

Aethel (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "So I'm 21, I'm on my second implant. I loved implanon first time around. I don't have my period at all, I've never really had any crazy side affects until this second time around. I recommended all my friends get it. They must have changed it. I got my second one replaced about 3 months ago. I've had crazy weight gain and I'm eating better than ever and exercising. My feet, ankles, feet and face have been swelling. I'm very disappointed second time around. I'm actually getting it removed tomorrow. Everyone is going to react differently. So maybe this second implant is just a different reaction."

Kayce (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "This November 2015 would make a year since I've had the Implanon. Its been the worst. I have bad sharp pain in my arm, I've gained 44lbs since then, I can't even carry my babies without my arm feeling numb and in pain. It's been so bad that people could actually feel and see how my arm swells up."

celiaaaaaaaaa May 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 20 years old and horrible at taking the pill everyday. So I've had this lovely bar in my arm for almost a year now. I've had one period and no cramps what so ever. But the weight gain has been crazy. I have in total almost gained 30 pounds!! Definitely getting this removed and just going to have to suck it up and take the pill"

Anonymous May 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the implanon for about 5-6 months now. I've gained about 8 pounds within those months. It is a very effective birth control, but I've never been so moody and angry in my life. Ever since I've got it my boyfriend and I have noticed my moods being completely different and awful. Not only have I gained weight, but its also making me break out really bad. My acne will not go away no matter what I try to use."

Valerie. May 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I first had the Implant inserted in June 2011, I absolutely loved it. I had no periods whatsoever, and I was always forgetting to take the pill this contraception method I originally couldn't speak highly enough of. I had it taken out and replaced slightly early as I was going travelling and it would have needed doing whilst I was away, again couldn't fault it, perfect for travelling not having to worry about taking the pill. I am now entering my third year on my second implant and I have been experiencing bleeding on and off, a mixture of heavy and light flow for anything from 2 days to 8 days stopping for anything up to 2 days to 6 days before it starts again for nearly 2 months now and it is killing me. I'm hoping it will balance out!"

Hendo91 May 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this implant a little over two years not by choice but I have had a non stop period the whole time I have had it. Uncontrollable weight gain. And horrible break outs. Plan to have it removed soon."

liz______ May 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the implant on 2014 it's almost been a year . I've gained about 30lbs, my period comes ones every 3 months. I get horrible cramps . And before I get it I always seem to get a UTI which is horrible. Since I've had it I been really moody with a horrible bitchy attitude. I want it taken out ASAP !"

Baby_dee3113 May 13, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this for 4 weeks now and think all girls should get it. I always had a regular cycle and a period every 4 weeks but now haven't had one since before I got it. I haven't gained any weight (yet) amd haven't had an increased appetite. The only slight downfall is I get a little bit of pain in my arm sometimes but nothing unbearable. Would highly recommend!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Got the bar in early August of 2014. Everything seemed to ok then my periods won't stop, I keep losing weight and I'm so cranky. I've tried to tell my Dr and they want to prescribe me more birth control on top of the bar to see if my periods stop. I'm so tired of this bar so I just want it out of my body. Do not recommend this, if the pill works for u, then stay with what u trust."

lovinmomma1455 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I used implanon right after first child only for about a year was very fat got it removed lost the weight but no other side effects. After second child got it again only this time I have terrible migraine headaches, mood swings and weight gain, I have tried losing weight and eating healthy and I do lose the weight but it has to be a strict diet and exercise routine or else my weight will just come right back I also get my period about 2-3 time a month! For me this is definitely not worth it. Getting it removed asap"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I got implanon as a teenager. After insertion (which hurt like hell) i had constant light spotting for 6 months. When I tried to get it taken out, the doctor couldn't find it. I went in a second time to a different GP and again he couldn't get it out. In the end I put up with it for about 2 years, and had to go under general anesthetic and have an operation in hospital to remove it- it was deep in the muscle and curved around itself. I now have a nasty scar as a result of cutting into the arm several times to have it removed. Now many years later- I have been trying to concieve for over 10 months without success. Whether or not this is related I don't know- but I wish someone had been there to tell my 17 year old self to stay well away"

Tara_jane85 May 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my first implanon six years ago after my second child and I didn't get my period for 2 years, weight gain, mood swing and that was with the old Implanon. Then the second implanon was as bad as the first mood swing and weight gain but I managed to lose lots of weight due to diet and exercise. I wasn't really aware that those side effects in the past were the result of the implanon until I got the third implanon inserted six months ago, I had weeks of heavy bleeding, zero libido, weight gain like crazy in such a short time10kg!!! (I eat healthy diet and exercise). I developed acne on my chest, shoulders and head, bloated, mood swings, excrutiating lower back pain. I took out the implanon 3 weeks ago and plan to try on Mirena instead."

almalouisa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

For Birth Control "In September it will be a year that i have the implanon. I like the fact that I got my period the first to months even though it was just spotting. Now I don't get my period which is great but I have extreme pain and cramps. Even my jaw is painful and I'm considering to remove it because I never had these problems before. I'm a mother of two and don't want anymore babies coz I'll be 30 soon, if I could only get my period now and then to avoid these terrible pains."

angelface30 April 28, 2015

For Birth Control "Hello! I had the Implanon in for 8 months and after the first three weeks off getting it I got an extremly heavy period, and it didn't stop for 7 MONTHS. I also started getting more headaches and nausea always! And I'm constantly tired! It's got that bad I'm getting it taken out this week."

Veryangrywoman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the implanon after my first child. Then took it out, got pregnant with my second & back in a couple weeks after birth. I love it! Personally, it works great for me. I don't have bad side affects w/ it & my husband and I never use other forms of contraception & no scares. My period is still regular. I've gained weight but I'm also not the healthiest eater lol. My insurance covered it both for insertion & removal! & I'll definately keep using it. Its already in your arm so you don't have to remember specific times like with the pill. Or have rejections like w/ the IUDs"

LyzR April 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Implanon inserted about 4-5 months ago. I had my period twice in one month the first time I got Implanon, but then completely stopped having my period, I also noticed my menstrual migraines no longer came around. Literally no other side effects."

Ashliennea (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I got Implanon inserted August 2014 right after my first period after having my baby. The first few months I had no period. Then I started having light periods that lasted about a week compared to 3-4 days before getting pregnant. I've also gained about 20 lbs since insertion. It helps a lot with my PMS, and I often forget it's there. Overall I love it and plan to have it reinserted when my 3 years are up."

JayShay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2015

For Birth Control "Got this June 2014 got it out march 2015. Within 3 months of having it, I developed horrible acne around the jaw line and forehead with cysts on my lower jaw. Previous to implanon, I was on zovia for 2 years. With zovia I had weight gain, breast tenderness, but very clear skin. With Implanon, I lost 40 pounds, which I attribute more to diet and exercise, developed acne, but had no breast tenderness, periods or mood swings. To me the terrible acne isn't worth it so I got back on Zovia. Also, my friend got implanon about a month ago and already had horrible cysts on her chin."

Kayla545 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

For Birth Control "Effective. No periods at all. Lots of weight gain."

Rocky1648 April 15, 2015