User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1351 reviews 275 medications

6.4
Summary of Implanon reviews 1351 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "I'm reaching the end of my first Implanon stint. I've had it for nearly three years now and it's been interesting. Before I was on the pill and never had any side effects so I thought I wouldn't have any with this one. Getting it put in hurt like hell. Some people didn't bruise apparently, my arm looked like it had been broken. It was black and blue and sore for about two weeks. After that my periods became less and less frequent. I've always been irregular so that was fine and for the second year that I had the implant I barely had a period. Maybe one or two days every few months. Now on the third year I'm find that the bleeding is very minimal but almost constant. Every time I have sex my period will start up and last for about a week."

Conni Dawson (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Hi everyone! My name is Emily and I have had the implant for 4 months now. I have my period every month right on time but it is much lighter and there is no cramping. My doctor let me know that the implant is even safer then getting your tubes and you should not gain any weight from using this birth control. She told me the only thing people complain about is your period because it can come whenever or not at all. I haven't experienced any weight gain or mood swings like I did on the pill. My sex drive is healthy as well. I recommend this birth control !"

EmilyG24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 19, and I got the implanon towards the end of last year. My experience has been very positive so far. For the first two months i had a week or two of random spotting, with very light periods maybe once a month for 2-3 days. Now i barely have a period at all, and it completely got rid of my awful cramps! I do get headaches occasionally, however they are easy to fix with painkillers. Otherwise i have had no side effects, and i've actually lost some weight (however i attribute it more to lifestyle). It's also a big plus not having to remember to take a pill everyday. Remember that Implanon experiences vary for different people, however for me it worked out perfectly and i would highly recommend it :)"

Anonymous9648 April 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I would never recommend implanon (the rod) as a form of contraception to anybody, I have had mine in almost for the full 3 year term as I was on the pill and kept forgetting to take it, as I was only 18 at the time I needed some form of contraception so I came across implanon. It all sounded well and good but the whole time its given me nothing but grief. I have put on 10kgs, sometimes I don't have my period for 2 months then other times it will be every week on and off heavy bleeding, I am so lethargic and never feel like going anywhere or doing anything and I've also been diagnosed with anxiety since being on this. The headaches are constant! I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET IT OUT! WOULDNT RECCOMEND TO ANYBODY! especially young girls!"

Katie malia April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I've gotten this implant about a month ago omg I rather just take the pill I've had irregular bleeding before and I HATE to have my period in the first place so when I had my irregular period be4 I was a Lil over weight and had it for 3 months so I lost the weight and everything went back to normal to go from getting ur period and it lasting 4 days to bleeding 4 a month was just ridiculous to me the CRAMPS OMG I COULD DIE I cried every day after I got this implant and when I say cry I mean cry I cried at work on the train going to work I cried when I woke up and when I went to sleep it really made me emotional oh let me not forget one night I went to sleep when I woke up in blood everywhere. I would NEVER do this again"

Askj (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "My doctor informed me that out of every 10 women that get this implant it only agrees with 2. The spotting has been on and off the whole time. The worst part is that the bleeding is not the worst side effect. Not even the bad breakouts in my skin (which is also a pain!). It's the mental issues that have ensued that have been the biggest burden. In the past month I have noticed a big decline in my mood. I get highly irritated over the smallest things and I'd break out into tears over everything. I've cried every day for the past 5 days in a row and I'm physically and mentally exhausted. The depression is too much. I am only realising now that this is out of my character and the implant is probably the cause. The cons far outweigh the pros."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the implanon inserted for about 6 months now and I have experienced horrible anxiety , weight gain and a weak bladder My period sometimes comes twice a month Getting it removed ASAP"

Janettet April 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had my implanon in for just over a month now, I have experienced NO bleeding, no pain, no weight gain whatsoever. I have retained water in my face slightly and I am hungry ALL the time but I have been quite strict about eating only at meal times and healthily because I was quite worried about weight gain due to family history of heart problems. In the first two weeks I did experience some mood swings but that seems to be normal now. I normally have a very high sex drive and that hasn't changed at all. The little rod feels comfortable now, I don't even notice it unless I think about it but for the first two weeks it did pinch a little when I full extended arm but not anymore. So far my experience is fantastic:)"

t.ayls (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

For Birth Control "So I got the implanon inserted 2 years ago in the last 2 years I have gained about 20 kgs , lost my sex drive , my emotions have been up and down like a yoyo just cry then want to punch something then have no idea what I was even sad/angry about . I would get my period for 2 weeks then another 3 weeks of spotting then it finishes then 1 week later I start pmsing again . But I didn't get pregnant ! I have just had it taken out 1 year early as I can't deal with the side effects anymore . I guess there are different contraceptions that work for different people but I must say this one didn't go well for me ."

Florence Anne April 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Best decision I ever made regarding birth control. In high school I had the worst time with birth control making me sick so in 2012 I decided to do some reaserch and got the implant in my arm. It hurt a little for about 1 1/2 weeks and for the first month bleed and spotted every day but since then have not had any periods at all have been sexually active and not gotten pregnant. If I did gain weight I didn't notice. also with having depression my depression didn't get any worse which was what I was mainly worried about."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Hi, I'm 23 and got my first implanon in 2009, the first 6 months were hell! I was really depressed and took some time to get out of it. I'm now on my 3rd as the second was faulty and I love it. No periods at all I've lost 25kg. Not one scare within that time. The start is a little rocky but now I say it's worth it."

Akdkciwlalwovurn8382 April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the implanon for nearly a year now and I love it so much. If I could be appointed the official ambassador of this thing, I would! The insertion was quick, simple and painless. I had a small bruise which was easily covered and went away quickly. I have a tiny scar the size of a pen tip now. During the first 3-4 months, my period was a bit erratic. It would last about 6-7 days and it would sometimes come once a month, sometimes more or less. It was much lighter than my natural periods. I took naproxen which would stop the bleeding most of the time. However after about six months my period has basically stopped. Occasionally I have an hour or so of spotting, and rarely I might have a few days in a row. One liner a day is always enough for the bleeding now. I have no period pain for the first time in my life. I haven't experienced any weight gain, and my acne is no worse than when I was on the pill. You can't beat the ease of this thing. In Australia, it cost about $50 (including insertion by a doctor) for three years protection. I often go weeks without thinking about contraception. I don't even have to worry about pregnancy, knowing this is the most effective contraception available. I nearly didn't get my implanon because of what I read online. But I'm so glad I did. Remember that for each negative review, there are probably many many people who are happy with the implanon but they just forgot to write a review because they are so busy out enjoying life!"

BusyCake April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I got it on 5/20/14-present . The effectiveness is great. The 1st month was a 3 week light period and after that no period for 6 months but did get a light spotting period that lasted about 3 days the max. My side effects was I would get emotional and very sensative but I am not sure if its the implanon because either way I am a sensative person. I immediately gained 30 Lbs. in less than 4 months. That's a lot! Now I weight like 180 Lbs. Thats a lot for a 5'2 women thats 23 yrs. Old. I went to the GYM and did dieting during that time. But after going for 3 months , 6 times/week and 1 hr . I saw no results it was 176 and 180 like a yo-yo. I was upset. Stoped going. Had low or no sex drive. Developed Hypothyroidism."

Implanon Birth Control April 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Implanon inserted in June 2015 and currently still have the implant. I have experienced so many body changes that it urged me to look up the side effects. I found all of these posts and can't believe it!!! It all makes sense now! I have gained almost 10 lbs, have less of a sex drive, feel like a crazy person, my hair stopped growing, and worst of all I have my period randomly with spotting alllll..... the time! It's hard to have sex or want to have sex when you're bloated and spotting 3 weeks out of the month! I am over this! I'm getting this out ASAP!!! Thank you ladies!:)"

Meggsies031 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I received the implanon June 2, 2015 and two weeks later I started bleeding consistently, every day. The bleeding didn't stop until mid March 2016, after being prescribed birth control pills, in addition to the implanon. It sucked. Felt like I was permanently wearing a maxi pad for life. I'm still in the works of trying to get to get it removed. The implanon sucks."

bad choice April 20, 2016

For Birth Control "Literally crazy for 3 years with andormal periods on top of it, worst birth control ever. Only thing it is good for not getting pregnant. You can go right ahead put this in your arm, you will regret it."

nobabies.justcrazy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2016

For Birth Control "So, after having the implant for 8 years. Yes that's right, I've been crazy enough to have this 3 times. was fine at first. Then I started getting depressed, gained 7 stone throughout the years I have had it (on and off by dieting), depressed, unmotivated, tearful, low sex drive, acne, I've got severe acne scarring on my back, face and chest and even feeling suicidal at times and constant, heavy painful periods. The only reason I have had it as long as I have is because I heard horror stories about other forms, and I am forgetful so pill is not suitable. I've decided to pluck up the courage to get the IUD and finally say goodbye. THANK GOD! Can finally get my life back hopefully!"

Bubbs666 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the implanon inserted in June 2013 the procedure was painless, except a huge bruise where the insertion was performed. From that day up to six (6) months I did not get my period at all. However, my mood swings where definitely present! I just felt emotional and sensitive, and I would cry for no reason. And trust me hubby noticed! After six months of not having my period I finally got it for two (2) months straight. From then on it was spotting, and then regular 4 day periods (that was normal for me either 3-4 day periods) then week long periods, then a month late or 2 months late. I have my appt. next week for removal/ and new insertion of the nexplanon. Honestly, everyone is different I am glad I did get it because it worked for me!"

Paulatina (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the implanon for a year and 1 month, it is very effective because I haven't gotten pregnant and im sexually active, but the side effects suck!!!!!! I spot all the time my period is normal and lasts for 4-6 days but it is followed by spotting a lot of spotting and I dont get a break and when i do its like 2-4 weeks and I start spotting for a full 2 months! I hate the side effects, but its comfortable in the arm."

ruizmagda760 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I have used implanon for 6 years. I will be getting my second one removed next month, and another one will be put in. I love this. I don't get a period, I lose about 7 to 10 lbs. in the first couple of months after insertion, and it doesn't hurt at all. The only con for me is towards the end of the 3 years, I get very emotional and depressed. For about 3 months, everything pisses me off, and /or makes me cry. Prior to implanon, I have tries birth control pills, the patch, the ring, and the IUD. I was allergic to the patch, cried constantly on the pills and the ring, and experienced my first panic attack while getting the IUD put it. (IUD was awful)."

Meem07 April 11, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello! Im 25 years old and have been on birth control since high school. This is my first time using Implanon. I had implanon put into my arm in October 2015. My arm hurt for a few weeks and every time I extended my arm, it felt like I was pulling on the scar tissue around the implanon making it feel very uncomfortable. A few weeks later, my period came and it never stopped. I was bleeding every day for almost 6 months. It finally stopped 2 days ago! Honestly, I was worried at first but then I read reviews and some women had the same problem. My periods were really light. I wore a panty liner everyday and that was enough."

Period for 6 months April 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my arm implant in June 2015 and it was awesome bc it did its job well. I had heavy bleeding for 2 weeks after, terrible headaches and mood swings and i noticed some weight was packing in. Around October 2015 I stopped having my period altogether, it was wonderful but I had gained 15 pounds. The amount of weight gain (25 pounds in total) made me choose to get it removed asap."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had this in for a year now, so given this a fair chance. It was all good for the first few months but then started noticing my Breast always gets sore a week before my period. so sore that it hurts taking and putting a bra on, also increased weight gain I have went to a size 12 to a 16 in trousers and uncomfatable bloating regularly, noticing incresed cravings for sweet things they can be so bad!! Feeling tired a lot! I will be getting this removed soon as I can't bare it any longer"

gem h (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "Worst birth control I have been on. I got it 1 and 1/2 yrs ago. First 7 months was fine, then I started bleeding randomly. I bleed on average 25 days out of a month (most days straight was 22) Those 6 days I don't are mixed in the middle mostly two days at a time, some even include spotting which I don't refer to as bleeding anymore. I live with a tampon in! Had my hormones and thyroid checked for to see if that was the culprit and had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed I had a cyst on my left ovary. It definitely will keep you from getting pregnant due to the constant bleeding. I'm getting mine out at 10:20 tomorrow and I can't wait ( have thought about cutting it out myself ) I don't want to wait 12 hours!"

Hanakateabby (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "When I first had the implanon inserted it was not painful at all and very quick. The months following insertion, I received my period for about 6 months straight! It was horrible and had an effect on my relationship at the time. Finally, my period subsided and I didn't have any bleeding or signs of a period for about 6 months. During this time it was amazing! Then, my period started again... It started in December and it is now April. It wasn't a light period either. It was extreme to where I couldn't go an hour without changing a tampon and I couldn't sleep an entire night without having problems. Tomorrow I am having it removed and having the mirena iud inserted. I am hoping for a better experience!"

Chanchan1025 April 6, 2016