User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 900 reviews 222 medications

6.6
Summary of Implanon reviews 900 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Implanon

Review by Ms Hurt (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: Had the Implanon for almost five years, I'm finally going to get it removed. The bleeding has gotten worst. Sometimes I bleed for a whole month and I have picked up so much weight, and these mood swings. I would rather take a chance with a condom or pill and call it a day. I haven't gotten pregnant though.

April 16, 2014 11:32 PM
Review by ashlee93: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had the Implanon since June 2013. Since then no bleeding and cramps were tolerable. The past three days I've been bleeding really heavy and I have no idea what to do.

April 16, 2014 2:27 PM
Review by Jaeley: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: Works well. I just hate that my periods are like 4 weeks long and I have mood swings.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 14, 2014 9:28 PM
Review by knptx (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had severe mood swings while on this medication. My periods were heavy, irregular, my cramps were painful it was truly an awful experience. I had it in for the full three years, and although it did its job of preventing pregnancy, since I've been off it for three months I have never felt better. I lost the 20 pounds I gained on this medicine.

April 12, 2014 6:47 PM
Review by Sarhudgins (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have been taking Implanon since January 2012, the first 2 years it was wonderful. No pregnancy, I actually lost weight, I had a monthly "period" which consisted of minimal cramping and being moody, yet no bleeding. On the 3rd year though, during mid February I started having a period. It is now the beginning of April and I have had 4 periods lasting a week each! I cannot deal with having a period after not having one for over 2 years! I love Implanon but if I'm going to continue having a period every week or two I might consider something else or replacing it earlier than the 3 year mark if possible.

April 10, 2014 1:45 PM
Review by Love Hate Relationship (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had Implanon for almost 3 years and had it removed today. I loved this birth control because it completely got rid of my period, and cramps. On the pill, I had awful cramps and would spend days in bed, on Implanon, cramps NEVER bothered me. My only complaint with the Implanon was major weight gain. Over the past three years I've gained quite a bit of weight and this is the only reason I'm moving back to the pill. If you're worried about weight gain, do not use Implanon.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 4:33 PM
Review by Sammy L: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Implanon put in in 2010, my 3 years is up and I'm getting it removed tomorrow, THANK GOD! The only reason I kept it in so long is because I didn't have insurance. I bled 3 weeks out of the month. I am not looking forward to the removal tomorrow either. I think I am going to try a mini pill!

April 8, 2014 11:14 PM
Review by Tdmrs55: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I received the implant August of 2013 and I didn't have any problems with it for the first few months then my periods were super long (2-3 weeks some times) and I started gaining weight 6 months later after no diet change or change in exercise I am now 30 pounds heavier and been insecure about my body which is really messing up my sex life. I will try and wait until the year is up but if I continue gaining all this unexplained weight I'm going back on the pill.

April 4, 2014 1:08 AM
Review by Ivik (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got Implanon implanted in November 2013. It is now April 2014. I LOVE this product. The only side effect I had was that I bleed for almost 3 months straight. But now I am having periods less than once a month. It seems like it is going to stop all together. The heavy bleeding to start is normal, your body has to sort out the new hormones. I had been on the pill for about 10 years. I switched because of the effectiveness of this product and I got tired of taking pills. I will get this product again when the 3 years are up.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2014 5:19 PM
Review by Mazkyz: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have been using the Implanon for the past 9 years. I had my first one inserted in 2005, I have not had any huge issues with the Implanon and it has worked tremendously ~ still child free. Some small issues that I have found over the past 9 years is that I will very rarely have my period but when I do it is extremely heavy and can last for upto 1-2 months. I am due to take my 3rd Implanon this month but I am unsure if using another one will lower my chances of conceiving a child when I am ready. Hopefully I will be having a fourth Implanon inserted.

April 1, 2014 3:12 AM
Review by Jordan Stewart (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have had the Implanon since September 2013. So for almost 7 months. First I had Depo. Great. I never bled once. But I couldn't lose weight. I gained 20 lbs. Then I went to pill to try to lose weight. My period was TERRIBLE. So I switched to Implanon. I gave it a 6 because overall it is really good. Haven't got pregnant or lost sex drive. Was able to lose the weight but here in the last two months maybe a little more, I've bled non-stop. Its very light but so annoying. Getting it removed asap.

March 20, 2014 1:04 PM
Review by ShannonThyme: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had my Implanon put in February 2011 I only had a period the first month then never had one again. Only thing I didn't like was the pain in my arm. But otherwise it was great it didn't give me any problems and I didn't gain much weight and the sex never changed.

March 18, 2014 12:40 PM
Review by Nickname: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had my first round put in in 2010. The first 3 years were good. I hardly ever had a period and when I did it was real light. It was great until I realized I had put on 20lbs in the first 3 years, none of my habits changed I still was active and ate decent. When I went back in to have it renewed I didn't have a period for 3 months then it came for 3 weeks with a vengeance as well as more weight gain and I can't seem to lose it no matter what I do. So needless to say I'll be having this one removed. But it does do it's job I haven't gotten pregnant.

March 17, 2014 7:26 PM
Review by tapp (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got implanon on Christmas Eve 2012 and I'm making an appointment to have it removed- it's now March 2014. At first, I had periods for several weeks. Then, later I would spot here and there. I believe after a good 6 months being on it I haven't had a period, spotting, nothing. So that part is fantastic. Not pregnant. Another plus. Bad parts? I have easily gained about 5-10 lbs and I can't seem to shed them no matter what I do. About 2-3 months after Implanon I developed seborrhoeic dermatitis around the crown of my hairline. I've tried everything and it will not go away (i.e.- cradle cap for adults basically). It's bad, like really bad. I've read reviews/side effects and it's named as one. Ugh.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 17, 2014 9:50 AM
Review by BrucieS: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I am 30. My usual period prior to Implanon was like clockwork. I haven't got pregnant since the insertion. But I haven't stopped bleeding much! I stop bleeding 1 week each month. Husband & have sex during the no-bleed week. So is it the Implanon's effectiveness? or that my husband & I are rarely having sex due to constant bleeding & my loss of sex drive? Since the insertion I’m emotional, sensitive, irritable, anxious, depressed - a constant state of PMS. I have gained weight, 6 kg. The side effects are outweighing it for me & 11 months on I’m considering other options. I’m happy I tried it, such a high efficacy rating & no user error. It's worth a try & if it works for you, great! But beware it might not too.

March 17, 2014 2:10 AM
Review by dorito (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had my Implanon put in Dec 14th 2011 and taken out Jan 3rd 2013. I had it for a little over a year. My experience was horrible I would bleed for three weeks at a time and only stop for a week at a time. My doctor tried to even in out with a type of birth control pill it stopped for that month but just started back up after I was off the pill. I waited a year to see if it would eventually even out but no luck. I didn't get pregnant so that's a good thing and no weight gain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 15, 2014 12:38 AM
Review by Anonymous91: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: It works, didn't get pregnant for the full 3 years, however, I had some mood swings from hell, headaches, anxiety, depression, dryness, and little to no sex drive. I didn't gain a lot a weight (maybe a couple of pounds). However everyone is different so side effects can be different.

March 14, 2014 10:50 AM
Review by chrissyp1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've been using it 6 months now. Never had a period since. No acne, no negative side affects, just pain in arm time to time but nothing major

March 12, 2014 9:36 PM
Review by kimleeee: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had the Implanon in my arm for 3 years now ending next month April 2014. I will have it removed and not continue to use it. There are pros and cons. Pros: of course I am not pregnant so if you want a trust worthy contraceptive and don't mind the side effects then this is it. However, when I got it in inserted in 2011, I was 19. I broke out like crazy gained a lot of weight didn't have my period for like a year and then it would come like 4 times a year. Most importantly I feel like I am crazy! I have crazy mood swings when I think of sex I just want to throw up (hence sex drive gone). I want to be normal again. I give it an 8 because it's a great product. To me acne weight gain is not a problem and I never got pregnant having sex.

March 1, 2014 10:37 PM
Review by Seri and Kay's mom: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had Implanon since Sept of 2011 when my second daughter was only one month old. I've tried everything at that point but no other birth control was working for my husband and I. I had periods almost every other month for the first year. A little nausea and a sore arm for about a month. But all that I could handle well the only thing that had me concerned was my sex drive and weight gain. After the first year my sex drive has slowly come back and I'm also slowly losing weight but I have to really work on it. I'm now two years and 6 months into it and I have a fully wonderful sex drive. And I'm still working on keeping the weight off. In December I choose if we want to put it in again and I think I will! Awesome product in my opinion!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 19, 2014 1:44 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had my first Implanon put in at 2009 and am now on my second one and love it! I haven't had my period since two months after the first one was put in. Yes I've gained some weight but the cramps and mood swings are gone! I love this method of birth control! I don't have to use condoms with my partners and I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. My only small complaint is my arm does get sore around the implant and throbs every once in a while.

February 17, 2014 9:31 PM
Review by august-paige (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had Implanon inserted May of 2012. Once it was inserted, I continued to have a period for 6 months non-stop, which caused some other issues. Once that stopped, I had periods for two weeks, and then would be off for two weeks, and then back on. This went on for a year. Now they come and go as they please. One thing that I've had a hard time dealing with though is the weight gain. I gained 10 lbs in just one year, and during this second year I have gained 5 more lbs. I have never in my life had an issue with weight (gaining or losing), but this has been it for me. It has also given me extremely painful periods. It HAS done it's job in preventing pregnancy though! Which I am pleased with!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2014 12:05 PM
Review by Hams (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I was 21 when I got Implanon inserted. I wanted an easy to remember contraceptive that was not placed in my uterus, that kind of freaks me out. Simple straight forward insertion, few days of bruising. I had it inserted after my baby turned 8 weeks. I hadn't had my period yet, and after the insertion, continued to not have periods for a whole year (up to today) no mood swings, no acne, a really great birth control! However I have a non existent sex drive and it's really rocking my marriage. After a lot of contemplation and concluding that it's the birth control and not likely the breastfeeding causing this lack of libido (possibly mom-hood too), I am removing it next week and going back on pills. Good luck to my sex life!

February 11, 2014 2:00 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had Implanon since January 2012, about a month after having my son, and other than gaining some weight. I've had no issues with it at all. I have a completely normal sex drive, normal mood swings, and I haven't had a period since it was put in!

February 10, 2014 6:51 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: The first Implanon worked phenomenal. No periods, but, I did gain a lot of weight over the 3 years of having this birth control. I've had a high increase in appetite, and lost energy. But, I decided to get another one. I've now had the second one since September 28th, 2013. And now I've been bleeding for 19 days as of today. I've lost about 15 pounds in the last 3 weeks of the bleeding. And my appetite is still increasing. I have a little more energy, but, not as much as I did before ever getting the Implanon. I always have noticed that I'm kinda "dry" down there, as before it was very lubricated... I've also noticed that I've had a lot of mood swings, and they're more often than not.

February 9, 2014 3:50 PM