Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1032 reviews 238 medications

6.7
Summary of Implanon reviews 1032 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Implanon

Review by almalouisa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I had my first implanon six years ago after my second child and I didn't get my period for 2 years, weight gain, mood swing and that was with the old Implanon. Then the second implanon was as bad as the first mood swing and weight gain but I managed to lose lots of weight due to diet and exercise. I wasn't really aware that those side effects in the past were the result of the implanon until I got the third implanon inserted six months ago, I had weeks of heavy bleeding, zero libido, weight gain like crazy in such a short time10kg!!! (I eat healthy diet and exercise). I developed acne on my chest, shoulders and head, bloated, mood swings, excrutiating lower back pain. I took out the implanon 3 weeks ago and plan to try on Mirena instead.

April 29, 2015 10:28 PM

Review by angelface30:

For Birth Control: In September it will be a year that i have the implanon. I like the fact that I got my period the first to months even though it was just spotting. Now I don't get my period which is great but I have extreme pain and cramps. Even my jaw is painful and I'm considering to remove it because I never had these problems before. I'm a mother of two and don't want anymore babies coz I'll be 30 soon, if I could only get my period now and then to avoid these terrible pains.

April 28, 2015 12:43 AM

Review by Veryangrywoman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Hello! I had the Implanon in for 8 months and after the first three weeks off getting it I got an extremly heavy period, and it didn't stop for 7 MONTHS. I also started getting more headaches and nausea always! And I'm constantly tired! It's got that bad I'm getting it taken out this week.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 10:07 AM

Review by LyzR:

For Birth Control: I had the implanon after my first child. Then took it out, got pregnant with my second & back in a couple weeks after birth. I love it! Personally, it works great for me. I don't have bad side affects w/ it & my husband and I never use other forms of contraception & no scares. My period is still regular. I've gained weight but I'm also not the healthiest eater lol. My insurance covered it both for insertion & removal! & I'll definately keep using it. Its already in your arm so you don't have to remember specific times like with the pill. Or have rejections like w/ the IUDs

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 8:36 PM

Review by Ashliennea (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I had Implanon inserted about 4-5 months ago. I had my period twice in one month the first time I got Implanon, but then completely stopped having my period, I also noticed my menstrual migraines no longer came around. Literally no other side effects.

April 21, 2015 3:02 PM

Review by JayShay (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got Implanon inserted August 2014 right after my first period after having my baby. The first few months I had no period. Then I started having light periods that lasted about a week compared to 3-4 days before getting pregnant. I've also gained about 20 lbs since insertion. It helps a lot with my PMS, and I often forget it's there. Overall I love it and plan to have it reinserted when my 3 years are up.

April 18, 2015 7:49 PM

Review by Kayla545 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Got this June 2014 got it out march 2015. Within 3 months of having it, I developed horrible acne around the jaw line and forehead with cysts on my lower jaw. Previous to implanon, I was on zovia for 2 years. With zovia I had weight gain, breast tenderness, but very clear skin. With Implanon, I lost 40 pounds, which I attribute more to diet and exercise, developed acne, but had no breast tenderness, periods or mood swings. To me the terrible acne isn't worth it so I got back on Zovia. Also, my friend got implanon about a month ago and already had horrible cysts on her chin.

April 18, 2015 5:35 AM

Review by Rocky1648:

For Birth Control: Effective. No periods at all. Lots of weight gain.

April 15, 2015 2:01 PM

Review by Katie713:

For Birth Control: I had implanon inserted a little over a year ago. It was not painful. I haven't had a period for 8 months. I don't have mood swings. And my acne cleared up. I am a nurse so I researched it a bit. The only ingredient is progesterone which is a natraul hormone woman already have. And of course the plastic that it's made of. Safe for your health. Definitely a positive experience for me!

April 14, 2015 10:38 PM

Review by LaylaBurton:

For Birth Control: I got the implanon inserted about a month ago. 3 weeks after insertion I started spotting and have been for about 2/3 weeks, it's very light and it is annoying but I'm hoping it settles down within the next month or so. So far I have had no weight gain, I had really bad mood swings for the first 3/4 weeks, I was crying almost every night. That has seemed to settle down though, so far id rate it a 7/10. We'll see what my rate it after another month or two.

April 14, 2015 9:05 AM

Review by Steph.Marie92 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I've been using Implanon for almost 5 years now, and I didn't experience any bad side effects. When I had my first one implanted in my left arm I did spot lightly for a little while just a few months, then I didn't have a period at all, or spotting, I love it. When my 3 years was up I had it removed and replaced in that same arm and still no bad side effects. No weight gain or skin changes or pains and I honesly forget that it's even there.

April 14, 2015 2:07 AM

Review by Happychap. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: So far, I love the implanon! I read so many horror stories before getting it inserted that I was so scared. I'm 21 and have horrible periods normally. I had to stop taking the pill as I gained 8 kgs, my breasts were so tender all the time and I was so emotional and teary. I honestly thought the implanon would do the same to me but so far NO periods, NO weight gain (in fact i've lost weight) Great sex drive, My mood is the same as always! Really happy! Don't let all the negative stories affect you, everyone's body works so differently!

April 12, 2015 6:33 PM

Review by Great for me :) (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I just had my implant changed a week ago after 3 years and for me it's been great. I used to be on the pill but it made me ill. For me the first 3 months my periods were irregular but afterwards I got one every month for about 5 days, me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex and no babies so far, I get moodswings but what girl doesn't, and I haven't gained weight at all either its the perfect contraception for me plus reduction of breakouts :)

April 10, 2015 7:04 PM

Review by Hi00000:

For Birth Control: For some people, it works. Not for me though... I've had a period ever since I got it before Christmas. It makes me extremely moody and emotional. It's now maybe working better? But not sure. I regret it, and I'm too scared to get it taken out. Even though it didn't hurt that bad to put in.

April 9, 2015 8:51 PM

Review by kate012391 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I loved the Implanon for the first year of use. It was easy, painless, and effective. I barely got a period the entire first year on it. (Awesome!) It also had no effect on my high blood pressure. I would have recommended it to anyone 10/10 times. Now that I have had it for a year and a half, I change my mind. I have read that it becomes less effective in preventing PMS symptoms over time and it has proven to be true. The past 4 months I have been randomly bleeding for days on end, multiple times a month. Painful cramps and intense mood swings. I just made an appointment to have it removed. Everyone is different, but I would most recommend the Implanon for a year of use. Definitely worth it for that period of time.

April 9, 2015 12:49 PM

Review by NickyBman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I had Implanon put into my arm whilst I was still breastfeeding which was about November last year ( 2014) I noticed no bleeding at all and five months later still not one spot of blood. My baby is eight months old and I have just stopped breastfeeding. I have lost 5kg's in 3 months I have noticed I don't have an appetite anymore, has anyone else noticed weight loss with Implanon?

April 9, 2015 6:07 AM

Review by Holly543:

For Birth Control: I had my first implant inserted November 2011. The following three years were bliss for me as my periods were exactly the same as when I was on no contraception (not heavy nor light for around 5 days.) my weight and skin stayed the same and had no pregnancy scares. Assured it was perfect for me, I got my second implant in November 2014 and it has been nothing but trouble! My periods are now heavy and irregular. Initially it was spotting but now I have had my period for two months straight with heavy bleeding and cramps. I'm seeing my doctor today to get answers. The only positive since my second implant is that I'm not pregnant (not that I've wanted to have sex due to the circumstances)

April 7, 2015 8:25 PM

Review by Unknown.x:

For Birth Control: I've had the implant for a couple of months now, & it's working out great! Although my emotions are heightened and I have suffered with mouth sores. My periods have stopped all together and my skin is fine. I encourage this to anyone!

April 6, 2015 7:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had it going on 8 months. I gained 25 lbs in the first two months, I'm irrationally moody, and now going on week 7 of continuous period. I'm going to look for another form of contraception.

April 6, 2015 2:30 PM

Review by Alyssa Vitt:

For Birth Control: I have had this birth control for over a year. Within the first 6 months I lost 11 pounds, my period was not regular and I had it for two months straight, lots of spotting also. I used to never get acne on my back and barely on my face but this caused me to get acne horribly. Then my period randomly stopped I haven't had it for 9 months. I slowly started gaining my weight back and extra weight, I've gained 15 pounds back but I'm eating healthier and exercising more than I did when I lost my weight. I can not get my weight to go back to normal. I used to have migraines but now I get one at least every other day, also I'm very emotional. I'm getting the implanon removed, this birth control wasn't for me!

April 4, 2015 12:20 AM

Review by Katie789:

For Birth Control: I have been on implanon for almost three years now and will probably get it again when the time is due. When I first started my periods became spotty and then went away all together. It's fantastic. No mood swings, so weight gain, and no acne either. I was on the depo shot before this and that was complete opposite. I've had no issues with implanon and would definitely recommend it.

March 29, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by lucymaylou:

For Birth Control: I have had this in for just over 3 months. The insertion was quick and painless and the bruising afterwards was a little uncomfortable, but generally fine, and went away completely after 2 weeks. For the first 2.5 months I had constant irregular bleeding, not heavy, but it was inconvenient as it was quite dark in colour, and pretty unpredictable. No cramps which was good. Now, I'm delighted as I haven't had any bleeding at all and it's totally settled down. Mood seems normal and in terms of weight gain, I may have gained a couple of pounds but it all seems to have gone to my breasts. They've gone up a whole cup size haha! Really pleased with this birth control now bleeding has stopped.

March 29, 2015 5:33 AM

Review by spider1888:

For Birth Control: I got the Implanon June 2014, It was fine for the first week then I started to spot, have headaches/migraines as well as being very moody/emotional. Spotting lasted for 4 months until I went to the doctor who put me on Levlen ED for 3 months. However I started to bleed again within the 2 months of being on the Pill so I went back to the doctor who gave me another 3 months worth of the same pill. I've got 1 more months worth of being on the Pill so I'm hoping that my periods have settled down.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2015 7:28 AM

Review by berger39:

For Birth Control: I have had Implanon for about 2.5 years now. I LOVED it up until 6 months ago. For the first 2 years I had no side effects, not a single period. Suddenly I began having spontaneous and HORRID periods, extreme cramping, bloating, swelling. My OBGYN said that this is being caused by my uterine lining becoming too thin through my years of having the implant. I tried taking 2 weeks of Estrogen then 2 weeks of an antibiotic to help "rebuild" by uterine lining. Nothing helped. I will have the implant removed next week

March 27, 2015 8:46 PM

Review by Shila113:

For Birth Control: This is my 2nd Implanon, the 1st one I had took a few months for my body to settle had a bit of spotting 5 months then periods completely stopped. I have had acne and blackheads. I have bloating in my stomach. Weight has been stable though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate