User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Tina1114:

I have been on the Implanon a little over a year now. I have not had any periods besides a little spotting the first couple months. (Yay for not having to pay for tampons & chocolate!) I love the fact of not having a period and not getting pregnant right now, but there are a few downsides to it. My downsides: I never had acne previously and I now have it really bad, i gained about 45 lbs, and I have horrible mood swings. It has its good and its bad to it, just be cautious of the side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2015 10:31 AM

Review by mm3434:

I had it for 3 years and it didn't get me pregnant but I did gain 30 pounds and acne problem started after a year. My sex life went down a lot.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 12:10 AM

Review by E-Rin 7:

I just had my 2nd Implanon put in yesterday. Solid 3 years of no babies, light mostly regular periods. Insertion was not too painful. I had it removed and a new on put in yesterday so I have slight bruising and tenderness today. My doctor was wonderful, helpful && gentle with the procedure. I recommend it to anybody who is wanting to wait on having kids.

January 20, 2015 3:25 PM

Review by haileybailey:

I have been on the Implanon for the 3 allowed years now. My periods are completely random and have zero sex drive. No weight gain besides my own body's growth has come from the pill. Overall it is a decent and easy form of birth control and very effective. I will be having it removed today but not replaced, plan on switching to a different form.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 12:31 PM

Review by Sammie56789:

I had the Implanon Inserted in October 2014. The first couple of weeks I felt quite queezy and depressed. After a few weeks I was fine. I have not gained any weight or had any nasty side effects. I have a light and short period once a month. However, sex drive has gone out the window.

January 7, 2015 7:35 PM

Review by Californiagirl24:

I have had Implanon for 3 years. I never had weight gain, mood swings or pain but at the end of the 3 years, for a few months I did get sever acne, depression and weight gain. The two and a half years without periods or the worry if I could get pregnant is worth the few months of acne and weight gain.

January 7, 2015 12:09 PM

Review by JenArm (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am on my 3rd Implanon since I had my daughter 8 years ago. I have random spotting and a very light period every 6 months or so. After about 2 years of having the Implanon in I have heavier more frequent periods. My doctor removes it when I start having issues and puts in a new one. I am currently about due to have my 3rd one taken out. Implanon is definitely the best option for me!

January 6, 2015 9:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Honestly I thought this birth control was the best at first told everyone I knew to get it. But now 4 months later. I can't stand it my emotions have been out of this world, my stress level has been higher and I went from a happy person to hating everything. I never have gotten cramps before I got this put in and they are the worst. The bleeding goes from heavy to light but at random times but means to say I'm getting this removed immediately. Because I know I will go back to my normal self again.

January 6, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by Michelle Watkins:

I have been on implanon for a year now. There are some goods and bads to using it. The good things are you don't bleed every month and you don't have to worry about getting pregnant. The bads are you have less sex desire, stressed, increase appetite, and my biggest problem is weight gain. I have gained 20lbs so far.

December 29, 2014 1:16 PM

Review by katherine421 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I love the Implanon, 100% effective. I get no periods. The only downhill is that in the 2 years I've being using it I gained at least 45 pounds which sucks because I tried everything to lose the weight but nothing seems to work for me. I have my appointment for removal on the 31st of December.

December 22, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by Vicky8976:

I've had it in for 8 months now and only get my light spotting when stressed. I love the convince of no pill and one hormone. I have gain 5 pounds (I'm less active) and have a lower sex drive but its not that bad. I just find myself to tired to do anything.

December 21, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by MaKaylaBeth1994:

I've been on birth control for about three years. I had the Depo shot for 9 months then I switched to the Implanon and have had it for 2 years. I didn't have a period when I was on Depo or when the Implanon was inserted. The weirdest thing happened I started my period last week and it will stop for a couple days and start up again just wondering if it's normal for it to happen. Since I've been on it for so long I didn't think I would get my period until I had it taken out.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by Newly_wed:

I had been on the pill for 7 years and had a good experience with them, but every time I'd forget to take a pill, I'd bleed. My husband and I decided to wait on kids so I got the Implanon inserted. I love the convenience of not having to worry about taking a pill or having to worry about being pregnant if i forget the pill. The only major downfall is the lack of sex drive. I've been on the Implanon for almost 2 months and it's affecting my sex life. My husband and I went from doing it 3 times a week to 1. I'm seriously considering taking it out early.

December 5, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by Amanda Shane (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Implanon since April 2013...for the entire first year I had absolutely no period which was great! About 2 months ago I got a very heavy period. I've been having light bleeding ever since and it's driving me nuts, but overall this is the best method of birth control for me. And I've tried everything! Side effects are different for everyone and it can always be taken out if it doesn't work for you. I'd say if you're forgetful or just prefer a form of birth control that requires no effort don't hesitate to give this a try I love it!

December 3, 2014 12:23 AM

Review by happy_camper (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had my period for 3 months straight after getting the Implanon. But now after 8 months I have NOT gained weight or gotten a period. And I have not gotten pregnant. It has made me more sleepy though which is ok.

December 2, 2014 2:46 AM

Review by pkx (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have just taken out my Implanon for about a month ago and I had used it for 3 years and a few months. I really liked the Implanon. It worked, I didn't get pregnant. My periods was usually light and last a few day. I didn't have any complication. The only thing that I didn't like was that I gained 30lbs. I felt like I was always hungry and so I was always eating. I tried working out but I didn't lose much weight during the first 2 year. But during the last year it started getting easier for me to lose weight so I'm guessing it's because the Implanon started to fade. And I also have a sister who used it. She didn't have any problem or anything but she just gained weight. But besides that it was good.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2014 12:36 PM

Review by AlysaBelle:

This was the best option for me. I'm terrible at remembering to take pills. I've had the Implanon for 30 months and for the first 6 months my periods were regular for me. Then for the next 23 months I had no period. Then this last month, I've had four periods. First two were a few days on a few days off. The the third one was 8 days and I'm currently on day 3 of the 4th one. No pregnancies Some mood swings Minimal sex drive No weight gain I also didn't take any other medications while I've been on it, except for the occasional Tylenol for minor headaches.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 10:19 PM

Review by bodyhairskinnailsblog (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had this in for about 2.5 years. It works in that I have not gotten pregnant. I have a very light period for 1-2 weeks every month or so. Sometimes 6 weeks in between 'periods,' sometimes only 2 weeks. It's very unpredictable, can ruin a lot of 'underclothes'. Also, I cannot get back to my pre-birth control weight. I used to weigh an athletic 145 with a diet of whatever I felt like eating and exercise 4 days a week. Maybe its age, but now 2.5 years later, I can exercise 6 days a week for twice as long, and watch what I eat and am stuck at 154.

November 24, 2014 12:07 PM

Review by ShellDee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was switched to this about 6 months ago by my Gyno because Ortho has estrogen and that wasn't good with my migraines and the side effects I have with those. My period was really horrible the first few months. It would last for weeks on end. I have not had a period in 2 months which is great! The downside is I am always tired, I have mood swings and acne.

November 14, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by thanh mai:

For birth control it definitely works. I've had this in for a little over a year. I do get my period every month. But I feel like every other month I either get two periods or it lasts for 3 weeks at least. I am also NEVER in the mood for sex. I'm considering getting it out sooner than 3 recommended.

November 9, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by brittmeredith:

I have had Implanon for about two months now. I know I havent had it long so things could change. So far I love the fact that its so easy, I dont have to remember to take the pill. It doesnt seem to change my eating habits yet. I did start my period and at first it was regular but now its been about two weeks where its I like it.

November 3, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by jess441:

This is the best birth control option for me. I still get periods once every couple of months but they are light and manageable. Mainly it just makes me feel safe and secure!

November 2, 2014 11:36 PM

Review by Jas3636 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Implanon is amazing. I've been struggling for over five years with hormonal birth control pills. They caused me to gain weight, go in and out of depression, have horrible mood swings, acne, everything that could go wrong did. I was so sick of trying different pills (Yaz, Progestin, Microgestin Fe 1/20..) I wanted something non hormonal. I've had Implanon for nearly 4 months now and the only side effect is that I'll have random periods sometimes, but that might be my body trying to adjust. Otherwise, no mood swings, I've lost 16 pounds, no horrible periods, nothing.

October 29, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by 4babieslater (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have the Implanon, an I'm seriously thinking about removing it. The birth control part WORKS but what I've been going through to prevent pregnancy is awful. My mood swings are often and more stressful than before, I'm never in the mood to have sex, I could go without it forever, is how I feel. I get the inflammation issue down there as well. My periods are spuratic and heavy or light but never consistent. I also haven't been able to loose my baby weight since I've been on this. The other times I was able to shed the weight no problem. I miss the Patch!

October 29, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by Chaparrita:

When I first got this birth control I didn't get my period for a couple of months but then all of a sudden I started getting heavy periods and bad cramps. I recommend this for anyone else who forgets to take their pills and also I started gaining weight but I lose weight at times also it all depends on your body. I have 2 more years to go with this birth control & I get mood swings at times not all the time. Good luck ladies!

October 22, 2014 3:04 PM