User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I didn't have a period for a little over a year and now I've had two very painful ones in one month"

BsnakdAbby January 31, 2016

"I got implanon put in about a year ago. The first month or two I had light spotting for a few weeks, then after that my period and any bleeding has stopped altogether. I have not experienced any weight gain.. I've actually lost about 20 lbs but I have an active lifestyle and eat sensibly so I can't say this helped me lose weight but it may have. I have been struggling with acne for years and it has been under control the past few years, so I was worried about a new birth control would do to my skin, but my face acne had no changes. My only complaint about implanon is that I've started to get some shoulder and back acne. I don't feel overly hormonal like I have on my past oral contraceptives. I really enjoy this birth control overall."

Nalie January 31, 2016

"I've had this birth control in for almost 3 years now, and I have went from 156 lbs to 224 lbs, I never have been a heavy eater. This birth control really makes you gain a lot of weight. It seems like its almost impossible to lose weight on the birth control my weight stays inbetween 225-210 never any lower or any higher. I do the calorie counts, I watch what I eat, I excercise, it just will not go away. DO NOT PUT YOUR HEALTH AT RISK IT IS NOT WORTH IT"

Niya123 January 31, 2016

"While the Implanon apparently works for some I would 100% not recommend it. After having it in for a month I then had my period for over 30 days straight, developed terrible acne, felt bloated and sick most of the time, and had constant cold symptoms. It definitely worked as a contraceptive though since I have been bleeding so much I haven't had a chance to have sex with my long term boyfriend. I have been told it takes time for some bodies to adjust to the hormones but to me it is definitely not worth it. I feel anxious every day because I don't know if I will have my period or not, or if it will be heavy or light. I've spent a fortune on pads and tampons and I'm sick of it. I am getting this ridiculous and debilitating bar removed ASAP."

Violet1993 January 29, 2016

"I have had the implanon now for 2 years in the beginning everything was good, the last year I have been suffering from horrible aniexty attacks not sure if its because of the birth control or not, I have been breaking out like crazy! I can go a month without a period then I'll have one then go a week without bleeding then start again for another week or 2, I have gotten to the point of always being nervous about driving going to work or even being surrounded by people which I grew up in and around a big family so not myself at all!! Hopefully soon I'll get it out and I will be back to myself !"

Mommyin2013 January 28, 2016

"I've had two implanon's in four years. with the first one I gained around 20kgs, obviously not from the implanon itself but more likely as a result of a massive hormone change. I had the first one for almost three years before I decided to have it removed as it caused such a profound hormone imbalance I ended up with a harmless but embarrassing discharge for the last nine months. The second implanon I had implanted in early 2015, it started off fine- one menstrual cycle every 2-3 months, but now I am lightly bleeding for two weeks of every month with terrible hormonal acne and cramps. This device has been a wonderful thing for me most of the time so I allow it a bit of leeway in terms of unwanted effects."

Revolynnep January 25, 2016

"I have had the implanon for a year and a half now and so far it's been great. No period at all except for a couple weeks a few months ago of random spotting. Recently though I have been experiencing horrible breast pain like you get when starting your period or when pregnant. (Never been pregnant but friends say it's similar) and it's been going on for almost 3 weeks.The only issue is every few months for about a week I get bad breast pain. This time it's longer. Anyone else have this issue?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2016

"This implant destroyed the last 4 months of my life. After having it inserted 6 months ago, at month two I started developing horrible, debilitating anxiety, sadness...mood swings. I lost a relationship that was very important to me because the anxiety made life unbearable. Doctor's testing results today show my hormones are really imbalanced - progesterone is extremely low. Why isn't this being taken off the market?"

Kate Nichole January 23, 2016

"I have never had a worse experience on a birth control before- but don't get me wrong, for some people this works! But for me, my moods were totally insane, completely up and down and I could not control my emotions. I felt constantly depressed and my sex drive basically disappeared. On top of that, I gained 15 pounds and COULD NOT LOSE IT. I was the heaviest I've ever been on this birth control. I really can't stress enough how much it affected me mentally though, it was intense and everyone around me had to go through my terrible mood swings and anger too. I personally could not recommend this to anyone because of the side affects I endured. I got the implant out 7 months later and lost the weight I had gained and started feeling better."

1Kiah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

"I had the Implanon put in 6 months after I gave birth. It was amazing for the first 2 and a half years. Months before the implanon expired I had to get it removed since I started getting my period non-stop. It lasted about 2-3 months and that is when I decide to get it removed. My emotions were everywhere!!. I would go from sad, to angry, and then happy. I would get horrible headaches and cramps, not to mention nausea and light headed. After getting it removed I decided to get a new one in, but it hasn't work so far. I got my new one in October and is January and I still been bleeding EVERY DAY! I had enough and called to have this removed. There are too many side effects. I do not recommend it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2016

"Got it back in Sept 2015 and so far so good. I love it! I did get my period about 2-3 weeks after getting it lasted about 3- 4 weeks and haven't gotten my period since! Guess everyone's body reacts to it different but for me it did wonders. Didn't gain any weight. Though 4 months later I started to break out. Not sure if it's the birth control but I will try to manage that. Happy that I don't have to take the pills because sometimes I would forget."

Happy to help January 20, 2016

"I had been using the implant for 5 years as it was much easier than taking a pill and was known to be effective. In the first year of using this I had no period whatsoever and thought this was great! However for the remaining 4 years of using this I suffered with constantly bleeding. It was not always heavy but there was rarely ever a day when I was not spotting or could not wear a pad. This proved very difficult with dating and relationships as I was never off my period and sex was pretty much always off the cards. The Implant caused me to suffer with the most crippling depression and anxiety and I had counselling for this (all gone now since its removal)? a weight gain of 50 pounds or more which would never budge. Please don't get this!!"

Corndawg (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2016

"Worst experience ever. Acne on my face and back which I never had before. Emotions every where. I have gained 25lb in a year of having it and I work out 2-3 days a week doing kick boxing and cross fit which I never worked out before this year and I keep gaining. I have gone up 3 pant sizes. I'm getting this terrible device out of me next month."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2016

"My experiences with this birth control were almost identical to the others I've read-it's nice to know I have company. I had (2) Implanons put in and removed. Upside: 1) totally effective contraception! 2) You don't have to worry about remembering to take anything. 3) No calls to your pharmacy or monthly cost. Downsides: 1) Constant spotting-never knew when it would stop or start. I pretty much always had to wear protection due to this. 2) Moodiness-My frame of mind kind of made me feel crazy and hormonal at certain times, worse than I've ever experienced. 3) The weight gain! :( I've always been really small, so this was an unpleasant surprise to me (especially when I got married last year). Just got it removed and switched to the pill!"

L18555 January 13, 2016

"I'm 18 year old, I have had the implanon for almost 3 years now and it's has been great period wise. For the first 5 months I had a regular period each month with it lasting a week and a half "

Amber2806 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

"The depression I suffered with the implanon was scary. Until I had it removed I had no idea what a horrid grip it had on my emotions. I wanted to die most of the time. As soon as It came out I cried almost non stop for a few days and then started feeling better. Almost back to my normal self now. Thank goodness."

Hotsocks January 11, 2016

"When I first got it it would do what I would call "resetting itself". By that I mean about every 3 months I'd have a week or two of insane pregnancy symptoms and it was awful but they would go away. I no longer have that happen and I love that it makes my periods super light. It gives me such security and is very effective. The pregnancy symptoms sucked but they only lasted a week or two, compared to 18 years of not having a child I'd say that's ok. It's painless to get in and is amazing."

Anonnnn January 11, 2016

"Implanon is great for birth control but is horrible for life control. It causes horrible mood swings hair loss weight gain extreme illness everyday I feel really out of control my emotions are all over the place and there's nothing they can do about it because they lost it - it is lost in my arm and it cannot be removed! Never get Implanon"

Anonymous January 8, 2016

"I've had the implant for 9 months almost to the day after switching over from the pill which I had taken for several years. I took the pill for three months back to back as recommended by my doctor when I first had the implant put in and only had a light period (but heavy cramping) in the week I came off the pill. Since then until now I haven't had any bleeding, spotting, or cramping. 2 days ago I started experience sharp stabbing cramps and today have spotted a little. I really hope this doesn't continue/that it doesn't develop into bleeding half the month like it has for other people because up until now this has been amazing. If this continues though I'll probably go to my GP and get it removed."

R.kan2003 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2016

"Loved it as a contraceptive, didn't so much love the weight gain. Didn't get pregnant so it did the job! I suffered severe ovarian cysts in the past (3 surgeries before age 17) and was on Microgynon 30/50 tablets for 4 years. Decided to opt for Implanon purely for convenience, and initially it was terrific. No side effects except weight gain. I had it from January 2014 to December 2014, had one period in that time (used to be 28 days on the dot). Absolutely fantastic, but I was slowly gaining weight despite eating the healthiest I have and going to the gym at least three times a week. Spoke to my Doc, she said I was unfortunately in the teeny tiny minority that just packed on weight. Whipped it out there and then, now back on Microgynon."

Charka92 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2016

"I had a love/hate relationship with the implanon. I had it for 2 years but had to have it removed because I couldn't handle the side effects anymore. Totally does the job of preventing you from getting pregnant and loved not having to remember taking it but OMG! The first year was great I didn't get my period at all but the second one was horrible. I would get my period for months and had to wear a tampon everyday. It gave me mood swings and I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster, not to mention the 25lbs I gained :( Just had it removed and I already feel much better."

Jacqueline M. January 7, 2016

"I've never done anything like this but I decided to share my story. I was on Implanon birth control for two and a half years. I got it put in three weeks after my daughter was born. I weighed 155 at the time. I tried everything to lose weight I ate healthy and worked out daily from doing zumba work out videos and running two miles a day. I just couldn't lose weight. My periods were awful I would be on mine for at least 14 days out of the month every month. I also had really bad headaches at least twice a month and the mood swings were horrible I just wasn't myself. So I finally got the implant taken out a week ago today and I feel so much better I have lost ten pounds without working out or changing what I eat."

nini2013 January 7, 2016

"I was initially excited about getting this implanted, because I'm terrible with remembering things. Let alone a pill. However, I haven't really stopped bleeding. I got it in March, bled for 2 months, stopped bleeding for a month, them continued bleeding for about 4 months (too light for a pad but too heavy for a panty liner). Next time I stopped it was for about two weeks. It's January now, and I'm still going. I can see the implant bulging through my skin and it's uncomfortable to hold things that are on the heavier side. I definitely would not recommend this one ladies."

Anonymous January 6, 2016

"This birth control is a near traumatic experience. I have gained 30lbs. I have had this implanted in my arm since 2013. On top of the weight issue I have experienced constant bleeding, emotional ups and downs, and a fire cracker temperament. I've set up appointments but the timing has been poor considering I have just gotten out of the military, moved across the country and moved into a new house. I did however manage to start using the nueva ring and it did however help a lot with maintaining the current weight and with 1 1/2 hrs of gym time a day was working to get down to a happier weight. Recently I have ran out of the nueva ring and even with so much time in the gym it's like a gained 5 lbs in my sleep. Working on getting it removed"

Sparks7051 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2016

"I had the implanon in for the whole 3 years I gained around 50 lbs I had no energy to do anything. I had terrible mood swings I would cry and feel down so much of the time. I didn't get a period the whole time I was on it I had light spotting maybe twice a year for a few days randomly. I got really bad headaches as well. And I ended up with ovarian cysts as well. I did not have a good experience at all."

Gal278 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2016