User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I can honestly say I hate this form of birth control I never would get a period until a few months ago and for the past 2 months it has been non stop my mood swings are everywhere I'm gaining weight like crazy this birth control is not even worth it."

Willas May 29, 2016

"Well the 1st time I had it it was great! 3 years without a period!! This time.. Well I've been on a constant period which is heavy causing me to feel faint and dizzy and gained weight (in which I am loosing finally) I think it's just shear luck as to whether it actually suits you. I'm having mine out soon and going on the patch. Great birth control as you can't do anything anyway! "

Jemmaj May 26, 2016

"Had the implant for 2 years got it removed in 2012. 2 months ago got one fitted and suffering from crying spells and anxiety attacks. Hoping to get implant taken out and this will stop!"

Aims718181 May 25, 2016

"I got my first implanon in July 2011 at 17y/o. The 3 years of being on my first rod was okay. I gained about 15lbs, started getting a little acne (never had acne before that), and I had a period about twice a year (light, lasted a week). I got my second implant in July 2014. A month later I started experience HORRIBLE acne, mood swings and more weight gain. I've now gained about about 30lbs since getting my first rod. The only pros are no periods (twice a year), and no pregnancies (my boyfriend had unprotected sex for almost 5 yrs). My acne has calmed down a lot in the past 6 months but I now have a lot of scarring. It's now almost 2 years into my second rod and I plan on getting it removed this summer because I can't get the weight off."

H S May 21, 2016

"Im 17 had implanon for over a year. No condoms or pulling out and havent had any pregnancy scares, Its great for me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2016

"I went from being 117lbs, to 172lbs in two years. I'm only 5'1, so you can imagine how that weight looked on me. I was on the verge of having a stroke. My heartrate stayed around 112 bpm, and there was just constant stress on my body. No matter how hard I tried to lose the weight, it would just not come off. I finally went to get it removed and they couldn't even find it to get it out. I was sent to the hospital where they used an ultrasound machine and basically fished around in my arm for about 20 minutes until it was found. Today, im left with severe stretch marks on my thighs, hips, arms and breasts. Also, two scares on my left arm, where they reopend the insertion scar and one about two inches above that where they ended up finding it."

BrittH May 19, 2016

"I got Nexplanon bout 5 mouths ago and it works good for the birth control part but I have been Bleeding none stop. Out of the 5 mouths I probably didn't bleed for 2-3 weeks but I have moods swings and my sex life is same cause my bf don't mind the blood."

Ashia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"Got Implanon in December and had it removed a couple weeks ago. I'm back on the pill and my hormones are still fluctuating so I'm waiting until I'm normal again. HORRIBLE side effects. Do not recommend!! I had it in for about 5 months and got my period twice on it (more like spotting for a week). It gave me insane acne on my face and back, terrible breast pain and swelling, the most extreme mood swings, increased my depression and anxiety x1000, gave me headaches at first, and completely wiped out my sex drive. Had pretty much every side effect except weight gain and never ending spotting. Removal was horrible, took 2 incisions to remove the stick from hell!!! PROS: never had to maintain birth control (like pills, nuvaring) and not pregnant"

Laliii (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2016

"Personally, I love this birth control method and I even have recommended Implanon to several of my friends. Insertion didn't hurt much, although, I do have a very high pain tolerance. The days following insertion were the worst, pain-wise, but it wasn't unbearable. I did experience nausea and dizziness in the first couple weeks as my body adjusted to the hormones. I've actually lost weight, and I haven't had a period or even a single pimple since insertion. The only serious side effects were emotional lability (probably the most concerning), rapid mood swings and some slight depression but honestly? Worth it. It's a hassle-free birth control method and I absolutely love the peace of mind it gives me."

Becca T (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2016

"This was the worst decision ever to get this birth control I got it 6 weeks after I had my son I never stop my postpartum bleeding So never had a break in between fast forward to 6 months later and I'm still bleeding passing big clots the size of Nickels even quarters sometimes..... I'm on two birth controls the Implanon and the NuvaRing the NuvaRing only help with my bleeding for two and a half weeks then I started bleeding again really heavy I was even on the pills my doctor prescribed for me and all that did was slow my bleeding down but it never stopped nothing is working if you don't want you to get pregnant you won't you'll just bleed so your sex life will be non-existent I'm getting this thing removed next month NEVER EVER AGAIN"

Locdmommy11 May 13, 2016

"This is my second Implanon would not recommend at all....first one was okay for the first 2 years until I started bleeding which never stopped when I woke in the morning I would stand up and be absolutely covered in blood it was that bad.....I lost 2 stone in weight my mood swings were all over the place and it affected my relationship. I was advised to have that one removed and another one inserted which I did which I'm into the second year now and it's starting all over again! The only good thing about this is the reliability that your not going to get pregnant IF there's ever a chance that you can have a quick fumble in between periods!! It gets me so down I can be off in the morning and on again at night.....so frustrating"

claire2008 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2016

"I had the birth control placed for two reasons. 1. I have irregular heavy periods normally 2. I am being treated for 2 brain tumors and am on seizure medication as well as blood pressure medication. Because of this I do not want to get pregnant while on all these medications. So far I love it. No side effects and not one period since it was placed."

Nik06 May 11, 2016

"I had read a lot of bad reviews about Implanon so I got the Patch and had a bad experience with it: weight gain + feeling bloated ALL the time. Knowing I couldn't trust myself with a daily pill, I tried the implant. After 6 months, I've had a great experience so far with some minor setbacks. No weight gain, no acne, best of all no bloating! (I don't really workout much but eat generally healthy.) However-my periods have been sort of crazy- I get a regular (pretty light) period every month but sometimes it lasts longer than I anticipate. When I was off BC my periods were like 4 days tops. This month my period lasted for 4 weeks!! It's an annoyance but not a terrible issue. Every BODY is different-the only way to know is if you try it."

Smashley25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2016

"Seemed to work fine for first 3 years, however 2nd time round mood swings are horrendous, weight gain of approx 2 stone no matter how much exercise/diets i never shed a pound, total loss of sex drive, and heavy irregular bleeding - getting it removed now."

Nicky jobbo May 10, 2016

"I got the implant about a year And 3 Months ago! A couple of days after I got it I would cry on the daily for no reason! It stopped about a month after! My period stopped completely a couple of month after I got it too! I noticed that ever since I got it I started to get pretty bad acne which I had never really bad in my face chest and back! I had occasional pimples and black heads. But after I got this I had constant breakouts and even worse cystic acne under the skin which is extremely painful! I will say I loved not having my period! And it did the job even though I only had sex once while on it! I'm getting it removed tomorrow and i hope it atleast helps me start to get rid of this acne"

Mari22 May 6, 2016

"I'm reaching the end of my first Implanon stint. I've had it for nearly three years now and it's been interesting. Before I was on the pill and never had any side effects so I thought I wouldn't have any with this one. Getting it put in hurt like hell. Some people didn't bruise apparently, my arm looked like it had been broken. It was black and blue and sore for about two weeks. After that my periods became less and less frequent. I've always been irregular so that was fine and for the second year that I had the implant I barely had a period. Maybe one or two days every few months. Now on the third year I'm find that the bleeding is very minimal but almost constant. Every time I have sex my period will start up and last for about a week."

Conni Dawson (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

"Hi everyone! My name is Emily and I have had the implant for 4 months now. I have my period every month right on time but it is much lighter and there is no cramping. My doctor let me know that the implant is even safer then getting your tubes and you should not gain any weight from using this birth control. She told me the only thing people complain about is your period because it can come whenever or not at all. I haven't experienced any weight gain or mood swings like I did on the pill. My sex drive is healthy as well. I recommend this birth control !"

EmilyG24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

"I'm 19, and I got the implanon towards the end of last year. My experience has been very positive so far. For the first two months i had a week or two of random spotting, with very light periods maybe once a month for 2-3 days. Now i barely have a period at all, and it completely got rid of my awful cramps! I do get headaches occasionally, however they are easy to fix with painkillers. Otherwise i have had no side effects, and i've actually lost some weight (however i attribute it more to lifestyle). It's also a big plus not having to remember to take a pill everyday. Remember that Implanon experiences vary for different people, however for me it worked out perfectly and i would highly recommend it :)"

Anonymous9648 April 27, 2016

"I would never recommend implanon (the rod) as a form of contraception to anybody, I have had mine in almost for the full 3 year term as I was on the pill and kept forgetting to take it, as I was only 18 at the time I needed some form of contraception so I came across implanon. It all sounded well and good but the whole time its given me nothing but grief. I have put on 10kgs, sometimes I don't have my period for 2 months then other times it will be every week on and off heavy bleeding, I am so lethargic and never feel like going anywhere or doing anything and I've also been diagnosed with anxiety since being on this. The headaches are constant! I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET IT OUT! WOULDNT RECCOMEND TO ANYBODY! especially young girls!"

Katie malia April 26, 2016

"I've gotten this implant about a month ago omg I rather just take the pill I've had irregular bleeding before and I HATE to have my period in the first place so when I had my irregular period be4 I was a Lil over weight and had it for 3 months so I lost the weight and everything went back to normal to go from getting ur period and it lasting 4 days to bleeding 4 a month was just ridiculous to me the CRAMPS OMG I COULD DIE I cried every day after I got this implant and when I say cry I mean cry I cried at work on the train going to work I cried when I woke up and when I went to sleep it really made me emotional oh let me not forget one night I went to sleep when I woke up in blood everywhere. I would NEVER do this again"

Askj (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

"My doctor informed me that out of every 10 women that get this implant it only agrees with 2. The spotting has been on and off the whole time. The worst part is that the bleeding is not the worst side effect. Not even the bad breakouts in my skin (which is also a pain!). It's the mental issues that have ensued that have been the biggest burden. In the past month I have noticed a big decline in my mood. I get highly irritated over the smallest things and I'd break out into tears over everything. I've cried every day for the past 5 days in a row and I'm physically and mentally exhausted. The depression is too much. I am only realising now that this is out of my character and the implant is probably the cause. The cons far outweigh the pros."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"I've had the implanon inserted for about 6 months now and I have experienced horrible anxiety , weight gain and a weak bladder My period sometimes comes twice a month Getting it removed ASAP"

Janettet April 25, 2016

"I have had my implanon in for just over a month now, I have experienced NO bleeding, no pain, no weight gain whatsoever. I have retained water in my face slightly and I am hungry ALL the time but I have been quite strict about eating only at meal times and healthily because I was quite worried about weight gain due to family history of heart problems. In the first two weeks I did experience some mood swings but that seems to be normal now. I normally have a very high sex drive and that hasn't changed at all. The little rod feels comfortable now, I don't even notice it unless I think about it but for the first two weeks it did pinch a little when I full extended arm but not anymore. So far my experience is fantastic:)"

t.ayls (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"So I got the implanon inserted 2 years ago in the last 2 years I have gained about 20 kgs , lost my sex drive , my emotions have been up and down like a yoyo just cry then want to punch something then have no idea what I was even sad/angry about . I would get my period for 2 weeks then another 3 weeks of spotting then it finishes then 1 week later I start pmsing again . But I didn't get pregnant ! I have just had it taken out 1 year early as I can't deal with the side effects anymore . I guess there are different contraceptions that work for different people but I must say this one didn't go well for me ."

Florence Anne April 24, 2016

"Best decision I ever made regarding birth control. In high school I had the worst time with birth control making me sick so in 2012 I decided to do some reaserch and got the implant in my arm. It hurt a little for about 1 1/2 weeks and for the first month bleed and spotted every day but since then have not had any periods at all have been sexually active and not gotten pregnant. If I did gain weight I didn't notice. also with having depression my depression didn't get any worse which was what I was mainly worried about."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016