User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I'm going on my second implanon. The first three years were OK. I didn't get a period for the first year. Then I got a 2 week long period every three months for the second year. The final year I got my period every month for a few days. Normal for me. This time around...not sure if I'm liking it. I got it replaced in April. I haven't had a period since then....which is fine by me. But I have been gaining weight and can't seem to lose it. I've always been very petite, 107 lbs is my normal weight. Now I am up to almost 130. Also, my arm where the implant is itches like crazy almost every day. Bad enough that at times I just want to get it taken out. But I more than likely wont"

shaylin August 24, 2015

"When I first got the implanon I didn't stop bleeding so my doctor gave me a medication for a few days to help. Well it's been over a year and I still bleed every other week. I've gained some weight too but my main issue is the bleeding. It's such an inconvenience and I cannot wait to take it out. As a form of birth control it's very effective and I would advise it to someone who doesn't practice safe sex"

Jordannn August 24, 2015

"I don't know whats worse the bleeding for 6 months straight or the horrible depression, anxiety, and mood swings. I thought I was crazy luckily me and my friend both got it together and experienced the exact same side effects. So we both knew it was the implanon. The worst mental breakdown of my life. My hormones finally leveled out and I feel like myself again! It took 7 months of mood swings and bleeding nonstop. But I'm starting to feel normal again. I haven't removed it because they keep telling me once your hormones stabilize I'll be fine so I toughed it out. And feel 100% better. I just hope it stays this way."

Nicky. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2015

"I had this implanted in February of 2015. It's now August, and I've had nothing but great result. No weight gain, only loss. No breakouts, only skin clearing. I think often people blame this own behaviors on their birth control. If you take good care of yourself, eat, well, & continue to work out, I wouldn't say from my experience that you have any trouble. It has migrated up my arm a little bit, but it's no problem. I haven't had my period since March! No pain, or anything bad. I really enjoy this form of birth control. I recommend giving it a go if you insurance will cover it."

Elizabeth0907 August 23, 2015

"I got my implant about 4 months ago, since then I've had really long and heavy periods, spotting for maybe 2 weeks then I might stop all together for about a week, start spotting then have the heavy, prolonged period. I haven't had any other side effects such as the nausea and head aches like it said I would. I am getting more acne than I've ever had though. I'm just worried about these never ending periods."

jc94 August 21, 2015

"Never again! After being on depo I was suppose to b an ideal candidate the first 6 months was ok bit moody but fine no weight gain but then something changed I was constantly bleeding and getting horrible hormone spots I normally have clear skin mood swings were increasing. After 14 months I decided to have it taken out and that was an ordeal they can b very tricky for the doc remove. So 3 anesthetics and a few stitches later its out. It's simply not worth the hassle"

Dgall25 August 20, 2015

"I thought having birth control was a good move considering i already have a son and im in college and go to school but now i wish i would have gotten this thing removed a while ago... I use to experience nausea and back pain now i just have headaches, dizziness, Extremely long menstral cycles, cycle has lasted almost a whole 3 years.No sex drive, Mood swings\depression, hair loss, and i get soo tired that i feel like i been ran over and acne. All of which are side effects and i feel soo alone with it. I will never try to force my body to accept something it doesnt like again. This bas damaged my relationship with my man in more ways than 1."

nene216 August 18, 2015

"Getting the Implanon was the worst decision i ever made!!!! I had it in for 3 months and gained a rediculous amount of weight and never had a period. After 3 months I went back to my gp and asked him to take it out, thats was 7 years ago. To this day I'll be lucky to get my period once a year and lasting only 2-4 days."

Anonymous August 14, 2015

"Ive had my implant for about 1 month, im 22 i've never had kids nor had been on birthcontrol before. The reason i got on was because i got into a serious relationship and well we both arnt ready for children yet. My main concerns were, the weight gain, breaking out, the spotting, and the sex drive. I was weighing 140lbs when i got it and now weight 135, my skin has actually been looking better than usual and the spotting i have had is very little... And the sex drive has not changed... The only negative thing i could say is that i do feel emotional and want to cry allot more than ever.. But besides from that its great!"

Sarahhlee August 13, 2015

"I had the implanon in for the full three years and got it out because it expired and we wanted to try for a baby. I had no big issues while the implant was in but experienced an extreme amount of side effects after removal. I had severe nausea, dizziness and spells of anxiety for weeks after removal. So bad that I had to Begin a low dose birth control to counteract the imbalance that was occurring- I was out of work for an entire week and unable to function normally it got so bad at one point. I have now been on the birth control pill for almost two months so everything has subsided except the anxiety. I have never had anxiety in my life and now deal with it on a regular basis thanks to the implanon! Do not use this product!"

Ken517 August 11, 2015

"I found out about the bar last year in October, I was on the pill, I went on the bar because it was an easier option not needing to remember to take a pill every morning, the first 2 weeks of the bar was great!! I started lossing weight just like that after that two weeks I began a period that took forever to go away around 1 month. I started getting headaches and very emotional. But other than that it fine! The great thing about it was I lost 7 kgs and got eat whatever I wanted and still didn't gain weight"

harry styles August 8, 2015

"I had gotten the implant after having my second daughter, as I was supposed to get it after my first daughter but didn't want to deal with the side effects, I had always had been called fat my whole teenage life because I was a little bigger then my friends, and had chubby cheeks, although before having my daughters I was a size 8-10. I was told that it causes weight gain but I thought I would be able to control it, I've had it over a year now, and I've gained so much weight, now I actually really feel fat, I always get told that I've gained weight, which has killed the confidence that I ever had, I just can't stop eating junk food, I do so much walking yet still no weight loss"

Ash_liyah August 6, 2015

"The implant is rubbish. I am only 16 so I understand that my hormones are crazy already. However, though I was told about irregular bleeding I was not warned on the mood swings. I've felt terrible for the entire time I've had the implant. The insertion was pain free a little odd but it was fine. I'm nervous to get it out but I'm desperate. In the past month I've been foul to my boyfriend and have taking up arguing as a new hobby. I barely speak to my family and am feeling so down and upset; I'm an emotional wreck. Anything sets me off crying and makes me so angry then I get really low. It may work for some people but for me it's terrible. The bleeding is also frustrating because it's on and off so v unpredictable. Wouldn't recommended it!!!!"

LucyLSP (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

"I really liked this birth control option when I started it, and for the first year it worked really well! After about 18 months, i started getting really bad periods, they would last between 1-2 months each and although they weren't super heavy I was still bleeding. Around the same time I started getting really bad cramps, and before the implant I had never gotten cramps in my life! I was 22 when I got it, and had had my period for about 10 years at that point. I just scheduled an appointment to have it removed, but i'm a little hesistant to do it because like it promised, I haven't gotten pregnant! still trying to decide if the bi-weekly cramps and long periods are worth it, but odds are I will resort to traditional birth control instead."

alid12457352 August 5, 2015

"I've had Implanon since September 2014. When I first got it, the week after I got my period and it lasted for 10 days. Then I didn't get my next period until November. Sometimes when I have sex I get this bad sharp pain in my abdomen. This has never happened prior to the Implanon. My period skips two months at a time before it comes back again. When it comes back sometimes I have it and my cycle is regular or much longer than usual. I don't know if it's spotting or bleeding but I'll get my period, be good for a week then it comes right back, then be gone for a week and come back again. Very very frustrating. I'm hoping others can relate. Overall, I like it. I'm not pregnant and I feel sure of the protection it's providing."

JJoseph74 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2015

"I've had it for 2 weeks so far no side effects yay!!! I don't get why people keep it in for years if it has crazy side effects like weight gain, suicide etc? The moment I gain 5 lbs I'm getting it out. I have a very very regular workout and diet schd. The only pills that worked for me we're Yasmin and mini pill but I kept forgetting to take it after my sons birth hence the implanon."

Gggggggggggg111111tttyy August 1, 2015

"I've had Implanon for 2 and a half years now. I can't wait to get it out and I will never get it again. The main reason is I have gained A LOT of weight with this, and also I feel is the cause of my acne/mood swings. My periods have now stopped completely, besides the odd month of spotting. Spotting that may last about 2 weeks, then stop for one week, then come back for another week. It definitely does it great job as acting as a contraceptive. Handy for people who don't want to take the pill everyday."

Anonymous July 28, 2015

"I have had the implanon for about 9 months. First 3 months were okay, the following 3 months started experiencing very extreme migraines (which I already had an issue with prior to insertion) mood swings very drastic mood swings, no energy to much, always tired and no desire to do anything. At about 6 months I started feeling really depressed, lonely, unwanted (I have 2 kids and a very caring fianc"

Shanice0611 July 28, 2015

"I just got my 3rd rod in Feb. 2015 and I am not sure why I got another one instead of trying something different. It does work very well but the side effects are terrible. I got on it because I thought it would make my periods go away and it didn't, it just made them much longer and I recently had to start taking iron pills to help. The first 2 years I gained 30 pounds and I became very depressed and anxious ( which is still going on in year 7). I do not sleep very well and I am not sure if it is the birth control or not but I am always tired and never have energy. I have a sex drive but some times I get a really sharp pain in my lower stomach that makes not want to have sex because the pain it causes is not worth it."

liiiikkkkkkaaaa (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2015

"I've had it for a year and a half. My periods are much better. But recently I've been bleeding for two weeks straight, very strange, but I do work with all girls... Why I rated it a 3 is because I gained 60 pounds. That is so depressing for a woman. I've tried every healthy diet, diet pills, working out. Eating all organic non processed foods. EVERYTHING. I am now depressed about my weight. I'm on Wellbutrin an antidepressant which helps a lot with my all day uncontrollable hunger. It feels like I'm high all day long...the hunger never ends. I am an athlete and I live a healthy lifestyle. I can't even drink because of the antidepressants. So I'm actually at my gyno right now about to get this thing out of me! I recommend the pill over this."

Jessie Noel July 27, 2015

"I got the implanon 4 years ago, (didn't want to get pregnant) as I was allergic to the pill, and was very clumsy with taking it I thought the rod was an amazing option. The beginning was crazy with periods all over the place, and extending for long periods. That was for the first 6 months however after that my periods disappeared for the rest of the journey on the rod (2.5) years. I got my first one out this year in June;and had another one placed in, the pros are no periods, and not having to worry about getting pregnant. The cons; depression,loss of libido, weight gain, loss of self and in saying that I mean I changed (my personality was bubbly happy) to sad, moody, angry! Different! I know the rod screwed with my hormones."

Jesssssssddssssss July 26, 2015

"I've had implanon in for nearly 1 year, before having it inserted my periods were like clock-work, and on the lightish side. I had it inserted on the 2nd day of my cycle, and that period lasted longer than usual, but other than duration it was as normal. I found I was extremely emotional for the first month. My breasts get tender sometimes, and I spot occassionally, but its nothing more than a bit of 'pink' on the paper when I go to the toilet. I don't even wear a liner. I've only had 1 period the entire time. Except about a week ago, the heaviest period of my life started! I've passed clots the size of golf balls! If it continues I may have to have it removed. Its weird that this is happening now after being so good for nearly a year. "

kerrie1487 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2015

"I gave this method a birth control a 10 because it worked too damn good!! No periods. No pregnancies. That was the one thing it was GREAT for. However on the flip side of that it made my hormones go buck wild. Suicidal thoughts & actions. Anxiety. Paranoid. Depression. Back pain. For the longest , I ignored all these signs. I thought I was going crazy. It was inserted back in 2010. It was only good for 3 years. By the 2nd year I noticed a difference in me. I was very anxious. Irritable. Low patience. Not like me at all. People didn't understand why I was tripping. Hell I didn't understand it myself . I told multiple people "there is something wrong" I need help. Not realizing that the only help I needed was for them to take this thing out!!"

Danni05 July 24, 2015

"Definitely does it's job. I've been on it for a little over one year and there haven't been any complications, it's my only form of birth control (my fiance is the only man I sleep with) so it's been doing all the heavy lifting. I like it a lot because I don't have to remember to take a pill every day at seven however there are some issues with my period. The longest period I had lasted one month however I haven't had it since, and it has been about three months. Make sure to keep track of your period. So it really sucks to have a month long period but to not have it for three, going on four months, has been super awesome!!"

NicknameAlreadyInUse July 24, 2015

"I've had it for a year now, I'm 23 and have not had kids. Months 1-3 sucked seriously, I was miserable, had no energy, still got my period, felt sick, loss of appetite etc.. After about 4 months it got a little better. I do love that you don't have to worry about it for 3 years, I loved my old BC but taking the pills every day at the same time was a bit annoying. Now after almost exactly 1 year all my month 1-3 side effects are back. Sick feeling, tired (I could sleep all day and night, some days I have) I'm highly considering getting this thing out of me! I've read a lot about people having way more energy as soon as they got it out. (Keep in mind every woman's body will react differently)"

M.Rose18 July 23, 2015