Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

Review by spider1888:

I got the Implanon June 2014, It was fine for the first week then I started to spot, have headaches/migraines as well as being very moody/emotional. Spotting lasted for 4 months until I went to the doctor who put me on Levlen ED for 3 months. However I started to bleed again within the 2 months of being on the Pill so I went back to the doctor who gave me another 3 months worth of the same pill. I've got 1 more months worth of being on the Pill so I'm hoping that my periods have settled down.

March 28, 2015 7:28 AM

Review by Diana32 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had Implanon for almost 2 years now and its not that bad really. I've gained 40 pounds and even though I exercise daily. My acne got worse sadly. When I started I had my period for a month straight, now its normal for the most part I get it for 7 days instead of 3 days. My sex drive isn't really that high either which I don't mind but not my boyfriend. Overall I just like the idea of how I don't have to remember to take it or anything.

March 19, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by kashadacurious1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this medication now for 4 months, got on it before my first period after childbirth, about 2-3 weeks later I got a period, lasted a little longer than normal but light. Haven't had a period since. Hopefully it stays this way. Only thing I have trouble with is all the weight gain, Its just stacking on me.

March 15, 2015 2:59 AM

Review by Dixie chick:

Got it 3 years ago and have had it re inserted in the last 6 months ..found it great for the first 3 years rarely had periods but when I did at random times..did not affect my sex drive but my skin has suffered terribly with break outs ..since I reinserted it its is a completely different story very heavy period I'm a complete emotional basket case extreme mood swings not feeling myself ..seriously considering a new form of contraception...

March 10, 2015 7:10 PM

Review by ArmyWife1815 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had Implanon going on 3 years in September. I have been having unprotected intercourse for just as long and no babies for me. My periods are beginning to regulate, before I had it they were sporadic. I have had no weight gain or other issues for that matter. Overall this form of birth control is my favorite and very worth it.

February 15, 2015 2:21 AM

Review by bubbleslv93:

I have been on this for about 2 years, I barely get any periods mostly just spotting, no weight gain, you don't have to think about it but every other three years, and it just goes in your arm. I think it's the best birth control out there for now. I think it is perfect for me but everyone's body will react differently.

February 10, 2015 4:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had the Implanon for about 5 months now, and its great! I only spot for about a day or two each month and thats it. I have actually lost weight since then as well. Nothing has really changed with me since I got it. No mood swings or acne.

February 8, 2015 11:14 AM

Review by nikki815 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on for almost six years I've had it replaced once. This up coming October I'll probably have it replaced again. For me the first one my periods were random. No period for 3 months then spotting for one month. After having it replaced the second time it's been less period all around light spotting. Again considering it again in October just wanted to see the effects others have had. No weight gain or acne for me. I have a slight temper already so wouldn't have noticed mood swings

February 7, 2015 2:25 AM

Review by Anna31497:

I have had Implanon since June 10th 2012. I haven't had my period once, not sure if that's a good thing. I haven't spotted, but I'm not complaining. I have not got any acne. I have however gained almost 100 pounds. And I haven't really been able to lose weight while on the implant. And just recently my sex drive has almost nearly disappeared.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 7:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I thought this birth control would be the perfect fit for me since I always forgot to take the pill. I had it inserted in October 2014. Since then I have already gained 20 pounds. Nothing about my life or the way I eat has changed so I knew it was the Implanon. When it was first put in my arm was bruised for a week and very sensitive to touch. I have had very clear skin before using this and my face has begun to break out. I'm only 20 so I'm very insecure to go to the beach this summer with my face and body looking like this. Also my sex drive has gone down tremendously. Which is hurting my relationship. The only plus side is not having a period at all. I would spot here and there in the beginning but it went away and I do not spot anymore.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 12:17 PM

Review by Alicia90 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Got mine 4 months now. So disappointed. Have my period non stop and my face looks terrible! I want it removed asap and get back on Yaz. My skin was in perfect condition while I was on Yaz.

January 31, 2015 11:05 AM

Review by Tina1114:

I have been on the Implanon a little over a year now. I have not had any periods besides a little spotting the first couple months. (Yay for not having to pay for tampons & chocolate!) I love the fact of not having a period and not getting pregnant right now, but there are a few downsides to it. My downsides: I never had acne previously and I now have it really bad, i gained about 45 lbs, and I have horrible mood swings. It has its good and its bad to it, just be cautious of the side effects.

January 31, 2015 10:31 AM

Review by SGoode (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had the Implanon for 6 months now - light periods and occasional cramps - but aside from that no bad side effects! I've even lost weight (only half a stone) so I guess it affects everyone differently! The first month was quite horrible as I was bleeding all the time! But afterwards it was all fine.

January 31, 2015 7:46 AM

Review by iamher:

I've had it for 1 year. I bleed for 1 month straight starting the day after it was inserted. My hormones was out of whack. I was irritable, moody! My face broke out in NASTY pimples on my face chest and back. (I'm on prescribed acne medicines now) but overall no pregnancy. My moods balanced out, eventually. My cycle comes once a month, it's really light, but last 10-14 days.

January 25, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by mm3434:

I had it for 3 years and it didn't get me pregnant but I did gain 30 pounds and acne problem started after a year. My sex life went down a lot.

January 24, 2015 12:10 AM

Review by Keddy45 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had Implanon inserted May 2013 and still have it in now (January 2015). There have been positives and negatives. Positives; I have not had a period since the insertion, I did not get pregnant, my arm was bruised for a day. Negatives; I have NO sex drive, have gained 35 pounds (rapidly) since the implant, I have slight mood swings and have been short tempered since starting this birth control method. I have been on a strict diet for the last six months to lose weight and can not shed a pound. My Implanon days are numbered.

January 21, 2015 10:34 PM

Review by E-Rin 7:

I just had my 2nd Implanon put in yesterday. Solid 3 years of no babies, light mostly regular periods. Insertion was not too painful. I had it removed and a new on put in yesterday so I have slight bruising and tenderness today. My doctor was wonderful, helpful && gentle with the procedure. I recommend it to anybody who is wanting to wait on having kids.

January 20, 2015 3:25 PM

Review by livvya85:

I used implanon for 6 years and won the lottery in side effects- no periods and the first 6 weeks I actually felt euphoric! Has anyone else had that? My mood went down after that but I felt like it stayed slightly above average for me the whole time on it. So for me it wasn't just birth control but an anti depressant. I went off it 2 years ago as we would be OK falling pregnant now and have been really struggling with mood swings during my periods. I hate it. My friend who had major depression in her trends found the same side effects as I did- more even moods and more productive.

January 19, 2015 5:32 PM

Review by haileybailey:

I have been on the Implanon for the 3 allowed years now. My periods are completely random and have zero sex drive. No weight gain besides my own body's growth has come from the pill. Overall it is a decent and easy form of birth control and very effective. I will be having it removed today but not replaced, plan on switching to a different form.

January 19, 2015 12:31 PM

Review by Sammie56789:

I had the Implanon Inserted in October 2014. The first couple of weeks I felt quite queezy and depressed. After a few weeks I was fine. I have not gained any weight or had any nasty side effects. I have a light and short period once a month. However, sex drive has gone out the window.

January 7, 2015 7:35 PM

Review by Californiagirl24:

I have had Implanon for 3 years. I never had weight gain, mood swings or pain but at the end of the 3 years, for a few months I did get sever acne, depression and weight gain. The two and a half years without periods or the worry if I could get pregnant is worth the few months of acne and weight gain.

January 7, 2015 12:09 PM

Review by JenArm (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am on my 3rd Implanon since I had my daughter 8 years ago. I have random spotting and a very light period every 6 months or so. After about 2 years of having the Implanon in I have heavier more frequent periods. My doctor removes it when I start having issues and puts in a new one. I am currently about due to have my 3rd one taken out. Implanon is definitely the best option for me!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 9:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Honestly I thought this birth control was the best at first told everyone I knew to get it. But now 4 months later. I can't stand it my emotions have been out of this world, my stress level has been higher and I went from a happy person to hating everything. I never have gotten cramps before I got this put in and they are the worst. The bleeding goes from heavy to light but at random times but means to say I'm getting this removed immediately. Because I know I will go back to my normal self again.

January 6, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by Michelle Watkins:

I have been on implanon for a year now. There are some goods and bads to using it. The good things are you don't bleed every month and you don't have to worry about getting pregnant. The bads are you have less sex desire, stressed, increase appetite, and my biggest problem is weight gain. I have gained 20lbs so far.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 1:16 PM

Review by Claudia soto (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I'm going on 8 months now. The birth control is great, the only issue I had was my period. I feel like I've had my period all those months and they last about 2 weeks. I'll get a little break (1 week) and I'll get it again. I did get really bad cramps one month but other than that I haven't had any side effects. I feel like a lot of woman blame birth control for gain weight. But it's all about will power you can't let one thing control your life. People just need to get off their butts and workout. That's how you won't gain weight.

December 22, 2014 10:52 AM