User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

Review by ShellDee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was switched to this about 6 months ago by my Gyno because Ortho has estrogen and that wasn't good with my migraines and the side effects I have with those. My period was really horrible the first few months. It would last for weeks on end. I have not had a period in 2 months which is great! The downside is I am always tired, I have mood swings and acne.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by thanh mai:

For birth control it definitely works. I've had this in for a little over a year. I do get my period every month. But I feel like every other month I either get two periods or it lasts for 3 weeks at least. I am also NEVER in the mood for sex. I'm considering getting it out sooner than 3 recommended.

November 9, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by brittmeredith:

I have had Implanon for about two months now. I know I havent had it long so things could change. So far I love the fact that its so easy, I dont have to remember to take the pill. It doesnt seem to change my eating habits yet. I did start my period and at first it was regular but now its been about two weeks where its I like it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by jess441:

This is the best birth control option for me. I still get periods once every couple of months but they are light and manageable. Mainly it just makes me feel safe and secure!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 11:36 PM

Review by 4babieslater (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have the Implanon, an I'm seriously thinking about removing it. The birth control part WORKS but what I've been going through to prevent pregnancy is awful. My mood swings are often and more stressful than before, I'm never in the mood to have sex, I could go without it forever, is how I feel. I get the inflammation issue down there as well. My periods are spuratic and heavy or light but never consistent. I also haven't been able to loose my baby weight since I've been on this. The other times I was able to shed the weight no problem. I miss the Patch!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by Chaparrita:

When I first got this birth control I didn't get my period for a couple of months but then all of a sudden I started getting heavy periods and bad cramps. I recommend this for anyone else who forgets to take their pills and also I started gaining weight but I lose weight at times also it all depends on your body. I have 2 more years to go with this birth control & I get mood swings at times not all the time. Good luck ladies!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Kate548132:

I have had the Implanon for two years now, personally it is more hassle then it is worth. My periods are heavy and long lasting sometimes for over a month. There is often a tiny break between one period ending and the next starting, which is knackering. Every few months it will disappear altogether which is a god send. When it returns my emotions/ mood swings are extreme.

October 22, 2014 4:27 AM

Review by kyleesmom:

I have had the Implanon for 7 months with no period. The only side effect that I am having is acne not just on my face but on my neck and back as well, other then that out works great.

October 21, 2014 10:07 PM

Review by JesserF (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had it in for about 2.5 years. My menstrual cycle had been like 6 months on 6 months off. In every other way it's great. When it's on I bleed super heavy.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2014 2:10 AM

Review by Shaunda:

I have had the Implanon for the last two years, I'm supposed to get it out August of 2015. I did NOT gain weight, actually it helped me lose it. Ever since I got it inserted in my arm I have not had a period, so no period for the last two years. Recently my friend was kind of pushy and grabbed my arm too tight and it knocked my Implanon out of place so now I am starting my second period in the last three weeks. This is an amazing birth control but be careful when it comes to people grabbing on your arm.

October 19, 2014 8:45 AM

I really like it almost had it for 3 years. Didn't gain any weight. I lost my period the first 7 months then got it back, the period can be long or can be short, sometimes heavy but usually light. I do get emotional and have mood swings. I thinks it works great and plus you don't forget and works for 3 years.

October 11, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by mpv09:

I absolutely love it! I've had it for 2 yrs only got my period once a few weeks after I got the Implanon and never got a period again. No mood swings, gained a little weight but I don't think it all has to do with the Implanon. No side effects at all. It all depends on how your body reacts to it, I was reading some reviews where they have been bleeding for ever....if that would have been me I would of removed it already.

October 6, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by Megan Reann (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I love this birth control. Its the only one that has really worked for me. I did gain some weight but nothing a gym can't fix. I got the implant inserted in March 2014, its now October 2014 I haven't had a period for 6 months. Nothing. No light bleeding, no spotting. Its wonderful! I say go for it.

October 3, 2014 7:51 PM

Review by Breleland:

I love the Implanon. I have had it 3 yrs and it is very effective. The only problem I had was the long periods that ranged from 7-10 days.

September 10, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Lo1234567:

Love this birth control. Please don't read all the negativity- every medicine has POSSIBLE side effects and the people who deal with those are more common to blog about it than the ones who have no issues with it. I've had it for 2.5 years and I've never had any issues and side effects. Some of my friends have also gotten it and love it just as much as I do!

September 5, 2014 10:50 AM

I have the Implanon inserted for almost two months now and it hasn't given me problems just a very prolonged period for more than 3 weeks. I went to the doctor after the 11th day of my period they gave me birth control tablets but it took long to actually work and take the period away which left me tired all the time.

September 3, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by Chelsea565:

So far I have had no issues with the Implanon. I'm surprised after reading tons of horrible stories from other females. Insertion felt like a pinch and when it was done my arm was wrapped up. It was quick and simple. I didn't even have to pay a lot because my insurance covered it. My arm didn't bruise at all and I was able to just wear a bandaid without it being noticeable. I haven't had any crazy side effects other than being a little more emotional but it's the same level as when I get my PMS. I'm happy that I got this implant because now I can feel safe with my partner. I don't want to have any kids anytime soon.

August 28, 2014 4:49 PM

Review by Young Mother:

After having my daughter at 17, my gyno. basically made me choose this birth control. I didn't want any more slip ups & apparently she felt the same. Since then, I have very random periods but DO NOT get pregnant & that's what it's all about, right? I love it.

August 25, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by one sexii mama:

I love the Implanon! I have been on it for almost 2 yrs. I get it out in Dec 2015. So far I like it because I always forget to take the pill or get my shot for Depo. I decided to try it and I love it. I did gain weight about 60 lbs but its not the birth control. It was stress with home, work and family. I wont get my period for months, then one day I get it. I would have for like 2 weeks. I had it with everything like cramps, mood swings and a heavy flow.

August 14, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Ducky's Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've experienced a confusing period but its a lot less than before I got it as well as less cramps. In the beginning I gained a pound or two but realized its only because Implanon made me more hungry so I regulated my eating patterns and now I haven't gained any weight. Sometimes I might feel pregnant (since some of the symptoms relate) but I'm generally paranoid when it comes to my body. I love my Implanon and I'm greatly satisfied with it. Glad I got it best thing ever.

August 14, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by love love love IMPLANON (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had Implanon inserted May 2010, immediately after high school. I chose Implanon because I am quite forgetful and the thought of hassle free 3 year birth control was like heaven! Side effects? Lighter period slight depression and moody but nothing serious! Other than that the Implanon is perfect! I've had it removed today and I'm considering an alternate method for birth control. ONLY because I don't want the implant for another 3yrs, yes you can have it removed before then but I want to go through the process again.

August 13, 2014 7:15 PM

Review by Ultragiggles:

Implanon does it's job, but I do have really crazy mood swings and I have gained 10 pounds since I've had it in (even though I workout regularly). I have periods every other month (light flow but the worst cramps). Don't know if I can deal with it anymore. Not really used to the changes.

August 12, 2014 4:22 AM

Review by bri-bri:

I have been on the Implanon for two years and it's OK expect I have gained weight and I still have my period I think it's because the day I got it my period was on and it's lasted for a month then it went off for like 2 months now it's regular.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 10:12 AM

Review by JayNicole (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had my Implanon for about a year now and I love it. I've had one period that lasted about a week, with very light bleeding. I do however get everything that comes with a period, the cramps, mood swings, all the emotions, everything but the bleeding at least once a month, as if I were on my period. Other than that I have gained weight but like most people that's not just because of the birth control.

July 31, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by AWhit (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had the Implanon inserted in June 2011 and had it taken out recently in June 2014 when my three year mark was up. I'm giving it a six because it did prevent pregnancy in my case. Pros from my experience: No periods & no pregnancies. Cons from my experiences: 80lbs weight gained(I also had some family issues, work & school. Not blaming it all on the birth control). NO sex drive at all I was never in the mood, and my feet seemed to get bigger. Other than that its a great birth control. It works effectively on other people. Some have no weight gain and some do. I do recommended this because it does work great for preventing pregnancy!

July 29, 2014 3:24 PM