User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Review Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I've had the implanon for about 5-6 months now. I've gained about 8 pounds within those months. It is a very effective birth control, but I've never been so moody and angry in my life. Ever since I've got it my boyfriend and I have noticed my moods being completely different and awful. Not only have I gained weight, but its also making me break out really bad. My acne will not go away no matter what I try to use."

Valerie. May 18, 2015

"I first had the Implant inserted in June 2011, I absolutely loved it. I had no periods whatsoever, and I was always forgetting to take the pill this contraception method I originally couldn't speak highly enough of. I had it taken out and replaced slightly early as I was going travelling and it would have needed doing whilst I was away, again couldn't fault it, perfect for travelling not having to worry about taking the pill. I am now entering my third year on my second implant and I have been experiencing bleeding on and off, a mixture of heavy and light flow for anything from 2 days to 8 days stopping for anything up to 2 days to 6 days before it starts again for nearly 2 months now and it is killing me. I'm hoping it will balance out!"

Hendo91 May 17, 2015

"I have had this implant a little over two years not by choice but I have had a non stop period the whole time I have had it. Uncontrollable weight gain. And horrible break outs. Plan to have it removed soon."

liz______ May 14, 2015

"I got the implant on 2014 it's almost been a year . I've gained about 30lbs, my period comes ones every 3 months. I get horrible cramps . And before I get it I always seem to get a UTI which is horrible. Since I've had it I been really moody with a horrible bitchy attitude. I want it taken out ASAP !"

Baby_dee3113 May 13, 2015

"I have had this for 4 weeks now and think all girls should get it. I always had a regular cycle and a period every 4 weeks but now haven't had one since before I got it. I haven't gained any weight (yet) amd haven't had an increased appetite. The only slight downfall is I get a little bit of pain in my arm sometimes but nothing unbearable. Would highly recommend!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"Got the bar in early August of 2014. Everything seemed to ok then my periods won't stop, I keep losing weight and I'm so cranky. I've tried to tell my Dr and they want to prescribe me more birth control on top of the bar to see if my periods stop. I'm so tired of this bar so I just want it out of my body. Do not recommend this, if the pill works for u, then stay with what u trust."

lovinmomma1455 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2015

"I used implanon right after first child only for about a year was very fat got it removed lost the weight but no other side effects. After second child got it again only this time I have terrible migraine headaches, mood swings and weight gain, I have tried losing weight and eating healthy and I do lose the weight but it has to be a strict diet and exercise routine or else my weight will just come right back I also get my period about 2-3 time a month! For me this is definitely not worth it. Getting it removed asap"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

"I got implanon as a teenager. After insertion (which hurt like hell) i had constant light spotting for 6 months. When I tried to get it taken out, the doctor couldn't find it. I went in a second time to a different GP and again he couldn't get it out. In the end I put up with it for about 2 years, and had to go under general anesthetic and have an operation in hospital to remove it- it was deep in the muscle and curved around itself. I now have a nasty scar as a result of cutting into the arm several times to have it removed. Now many years later- I have been trying to concieve for over 10 months without success. Whether or not this is related I don't know- but I wish someone had been there to tell my 17 year old self to stay well away"

Tara_jane85 May 3, 2015

"I had my first implanon six years ago after my second child and I didn't get my period for 2 years, weight gain, mood swing and that was with the old Implanon. Then the second implanon was as bad as the first mood swing and weight gain but I managed to lose lots of weight due to diet and exercise. I wasn't really aware that those side effects in the past were the result of the implanon until I got the third implanon inserted six months ago, I had weeks of heavy bleeding, zero libido, weight gain like crazy in such a short time10kg!!! (I eat healthy diet and exercise). I developed acne on my chest, shoulders and head, bloated, mood swings, excrutiating lower back pain. I took out the implanon 3 weeks ago and plan to try on Mirena instead."

almalouisa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

"In September it will be a year that i have the implanon. I like the fact that I got my period the first to months even though it was just spotting. Now I don't get my period which is great but I have extreme pain and cramps. Even my jaw is painful and I'm considering to remove it because I never had these problems before. I'm a mother of two and don't want anymore babies coz I'll be 30 soon, if I could only get my period now and then to avoid these terrible pains."

angelface30 April 28, 2015

"Hello! I had the Implanon in for 8 months and after the first three weeks off getting it I got an extremly heavy period, and it didn't stop for 7 MONTHS. I also started getting more headaches and nausea always! And I'm constantly tired! It's got that bad I'm getting it taken out this week."

Veryangrywoman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2015

"I had the implanon after my first child. Then took it out, got pregnant with my second & back in a couple weeks after birth. I love it! Personally, it works great for me. I don't have bad side affects w/ it & my husband and I never use other forms of contraception & no scares. My period is still regular. I've gained weight but I'm also not the healthiest eater lol. My insurance covered it both for insertion & removal! & I'll definately keep using it. Its already in your arm so you don't have to remember specific times like with the pill. Or have rejections like w/ the IUDs"

LyzR April 22, 2015

"I had Implanon inserted about 4-5 months ago. I had my period twice in one month the first time I got Implanon, but then completely stopped having my period, I also noticed my menstrual migraines no longer came around. Literally no other side effects."

Ashliennea (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

"I got Implanon inserted August 2014 right after my first period after having my baby. The first few months I had no period. Then I started having light periods that lasted about a week compared to 3-4 days before getting pregnant. I've also gained about 20 lbs since insertion. It helps a lot with my PMS, and I often forget it's there. Overall I love it and plan to have it reinserted when my 3 years are up."

JayShay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2015

"Got this June 2014 got it out march 2015. Within 3 months of having it, I developed horrible acne around the jaw line and forehead with cysts on my lower jaw. Previous to implanon, I was on zovia for 2 years. With zovia I had weight gain, breast tenderness, but very clear skin. With Implanon, I lost 40 pounds, which I attribute more to diet and exercise, developed acne, but had no breast tenderness, periods or mood swings. To me the terrible acne isn't worth it so I got back on Zovia. Also, my friend got implanon about a month ago and already had horrible cysts on her chin."

Kayla545 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

"Effective. No periods at all. Lots of weight gain."

Rocky1648 April 15, 2015

"I had implanon inserted a little over a year ago. It was not painful. I haven't had a period for 8 months. I don't have mood swings. And my acne cleared up. I am a nurse so I researched it a bit. The only ingredient is progesterone which is a natraul hormone woman already have. And of course the plastic that it's made of. Safe for your health. Definitely a positive experience for me!"

Katie713 April 14, 2015

"I got the implanon inserted about a month ago. 3 weeks after insertion I started spotting and have been for about 2/3 weeks, it's very light and it is annoying but I'm hoping it settles down within the next month or so. So far I have had no weight gain, I had really bad mood swings for the first 3/4 weeks, I was crying almost every night. That has seemed to settle down though, so far id rate it a 7/10. We'll see what my rate it after another month or two."

LaylaBurton April 14, 2015

"I've been using Implanon for almost 5 years now, and I didn't experience any bad side effects. When I had my first one implanted in my left arm I did spot lightly for a little while just a few months, then I didn't have a period at all, or spotting, I love it. When my 3 years was up I had it removed and replaced in that same arm and still no bad side effects. No weight gain or skin changes or pains and I honesly forget that it's even there."

Steph.Marie92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

"So far, I love the implanon! I read so many horror stories before getting it inserted that I was so scared. I'm 21 and have horrible periods normally. I had to stop taking the pill as I gained 8 kgs, my breasts were so tender all the time and I was so emotional and teary. I honestly thought the implanon would do the same to me but so far NO periods, NO weight gain (in fact i've lost weight) Great sex drive, My mood is the same as always! Really happy! Don't let all the negative stories affect you, everyone's body works so differently!"

Happychap. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2015

"I just had my implant changed a week ago after 3 years and for me it's been great. I used to be on the pill but it made me ill. For me the first 3 months my periods were irregular but afterwards I got one every month for about 5 days, me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex and no babies so far, I get moodswings but what girl doesn't, and I haven't gained weight at all either its the perfect contraception for me plus reduction of breakouts :)"

Great for me :) (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2015

"For some people, it works. Not for me though... I've had a period ever since I got it before Christmas. It makes me extremely moody and emotional. It's now maybe working better? But not sure. I regret it, and I'm too scared to get it taken out. Even though it didn't hurt that bad to put in."

Hi00000 April 9, 2015

"I loved the Implanon for the first year of use. It was easy, painless, and effective. I barely got a period the entire first year on it. (Awesome!) It also had no effect on my high blood pressure. I would have recommended it to anyone 10/10 times. Now that I have had it for a year and a half, I change my mind. I have read that it becomes less effective in preventing PMS symptoms over time and it has proven to be true. The past 4 months I have been randomly bleeding for days on end, multiple times a month. Painful cramps and intense mood swings. I just made an appointment to have it removed. Everyone is different, but I would most recommend the Implanon for a year of use. Definitely worth it for that period of time."

kate012391 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2015

"I had Implanon put into my arm whilst I was still breastfeeding which was about November last year ( 2014) I noticed no bleeding at all and five months later still not one spot of blood. My baby is eight months old and I have just stopped breastfeeding. I have lost 5kg's in 3 months I have noticed I don't have an appetite anymore, has anyone else noticed weight loss with Implanon?"

NickyBman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"I had my first implant inserted November 2011. The following three years were bliss for me as my periods were exactly the same as when I was on no contraception (not heavy nor light for around 5 days.) my weight and skin stayed the same and had no pregnancy scares. Assured it was perfect for me, I got my second implant in November 2014 and it has been nothing but trouble! My periods are now heavy and irregular. Initially it was spotting but now I have had my period for two months straight with heavy bleeding and cramps. I'm seeing my doctor today to get answers. The only positive since my second implant is that I'm not pregnant (not that I've wanted to have sex due to the circumstances)"

Holly543 April 7, 2015