User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Chelsea565:

So far I have had no issues with the Implanon. I'm surprised after reading tons of horrible stories from other females. Insertion felt like a pinch and when it was done my arm was wrapped up. It was quick and simple. I didn't even have to pay a lot because my insurance covered it. My arm didn't bruise at all and I was able to just wear a bandaid without it being noticeable. I haven't had any crazy side effects other than being a little more emotional but it's the same level as when I get my PMS. I'm happy that I got this implant because now I can feel safe with my partner. I don't want to have any kids anytime soon.

August 28, 2014 4:49 PM

Review by Young Mother:

After having my daughter at 17, my gyno. basically made me choose this birth control. I didn't want any more slip ups & apparently she felt the same. Since then, I have very random periods but DO NOT get pregnant & that's what it's all about, right? I love it.

August 25, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by one sexii mama:

I love the Implanon! I have been on it for almost 2 yrs. I get it out in Dec 2015. So far I like it because I always forget to take the pill or get my shot for Depo. I decided to try it and I love it. I did gain weight about 60 lbs but its not the birth control. It was stress with home, work and family. I wont get my period for months, then one day I get it. I would have for like 2 weeks. I had it with everything like cramps, mood swings and a heavy flow.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Ducky's Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've experienced a confusing period but its a lot less than before I got it as well as less cramps. In the beginning I gained a pound or two but realized its only because Implanon made me more hungry so I regulated my eating patterns and now I haven't gained any weight. Sometimes I might feel pregnant (since some of the symptoms relate) but I'm generally paranoid when it comes to my body. I love my Implanon and I'm greatly satisfied with it. Glad I got it best thing ever.

August 14, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by love love love IMPLANON (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had Implanon inserted May 2010, immediately after high school. I chose Implanon because I am quite forgetful and the thought of hassle free 3 year birth control was like heaven! Side effects? Lighter period slight depression and moody but nothing serious! Other than that the Implanon is perfect! I've had it removed today and I'm considering an alternate method for birth control. ONLY because I don't want the implant for another 3yrs, yes you can have it removed before then but I want to go through the process again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 7:15 PM

Review by Ultragiggles:

Implanon does it's job, but I do have really crazy mood swings and I have gained 10 pounds since I've had it in (even though I workout regularly). I have periods every other month (light flow but the worst cramps). Don't know if I can deal with it anymore. Not really used to the changes.

August 12, 2014 4:22 AM

Review by bri-bri:

I have been on the Implanon for two years and it's OK expect I have gained weight and I still have my period I think it's because the day I got it my period was on and it's lasted for a month then it went off for like 2 months now it's regular.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 10:12 AM

Review by JayNicole (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had my Implanon for about a year now and I love it. I've had one period that lasted about a week, with very light bleeding. I do however get everything that comes with a period, the cramps, mood swings, all the emotions, everything but the bleeding at least once a month, as if I were on my period. Other than that I have gained weight but like most people that's not just because of the birth control.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by AWhit (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had the Implanon inserted in June 2011 and had it taken out recently in June 2014 when my three year mark was up. I'm giving it a six because it did prevent pregnancy in my case. Pros from my experience: No periods & no pregnancies. Cons from my experiences: 80lbs weight gained(I also had some family issues, work & school. Not blaming it all on the birth control). NO sex drive at all I was never in the mood, and my feet seemed to get bigger. Other than that its a great birth control. It works effectively on other people. Some have no weight gain and some do. I do recommended this because it does work great for preventing pregnancy!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 3:24 PM

Review by 1994--shelby:

I'm on my second Implanon, and I love it. The first one I got I didn't have a period for the whole 3 years I had it, some weight gain but nothing extreme. No mood swings or anything like that. I got it put in because my cramps were excruciating and my periods were irregular as ever. As soon as I got the first one out I got another put in. This one has been different then my first. I have my period every other month almost sometimes longer then that and they last about a week but not heavy. Still no babies tho! I would absolutely recommend the Implanon! Don't have to worry about taking a pill every day or going in to get a shot. You can't even tell its in your arm and it doesn't hurt to get put in.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by Victoriab:

I have been on the Implanon for a little over a year, never had a period while using it. I did gain a good amount of weight but that was also from some other issues. My emotions and everything are great. No sex drive whatsoever, that's the downside. I still give it an 8! I am 21, the family planning place paid for the entire thing. And I get it removed for free!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by MelBee:

I had a horrible time with Implanon. Emotional as hell, periods all over the place, appetite gone, libido gone - everything got so much better the moment I removed it.

June 29, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by xoDJ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Got it in the beginning of the year. Everything was good for about a month. Then I started bleeding constantly. Haven't had a break from bleeding for about 2 months now. Spent almost as much money for pads/tampons as I did for the out of pocket money for the implant. Hot and cold flashes are terrible. Still have period cramps. Only thing it's done good for is preventing pregnancy and it hasn't made me gain weight. Definitely getting it taken out though just so the bleeding will stop and everything will go back to normal.

June 27, 2014 6:20 PM

Review by Abbybre (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had Implanon since December 2011. I am getting it replaced in a few days. The first 2 years I didn't have problems with it. My periods weren't crazy. I think I had it about every 3 months for 3-4 days normal bleeding. However for the past few months I have had it every 2 weeks like clockwork with heavy bleeding. My doctor told me it is just because when it runs out it runs out and my hormones are just out of wack. I have gained weight (10 lbs in 3 years) but I'm not blaming that completely on birth control. I'm in dental school and quite stressed. For those who say they have gained 20-30 lbs on this, there is no way hormones ALONE cause that much weight gain, other factors are in play there.

June 27, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by Courtenay001:

Implanon is awesome, I've had mine in for around over 2 years now and have never had a problem with it. The first two months were tricky, my period lasted for about 3 weeks then just spotted and then stopped completely. I haven't gotten it since. I also don't get period pain or the mood swings. It's awesome.

June 23, 2014 6:21 AM

Review by lily1994:

I've had the Implanon for 4 months already the first two months I got my menstrual cycle, now I don't. My breasts got swollen and my face breaking out, I have some acne, losing weight is good part but sex is getting very uncomfortable and painful but I still recommend it.

June 21, 2014 6:32 PM

Review by Kardashianlover:

I've been on Implanon now for about 2 and half years now and I'm still getting my periods. They started off normal & now they are just irregular. I've had my period now for the past three weeks now and it's not normal period blood it's more brown and chunky than anything I've experienced before. I'm not the type to go to the Drs. but it's getting to the point where it's ruining my sex life. I never had depression or weight loss or gained any but I do get less headaches then what I did before. I would recommend the Implanon to people who are forgetful about taking pills it's just risky because the symptoms are different for everyone.

June 18, 2014 1:03 AM

Review by Judi B:

I got implanon inserted an April of this year, my period was supposed to come at the end of the month of May. It eventually came, and I have been spotting/bleeding (really light) for 3 weeks. Not as bad as most of your stories (now that I think about it, I have been dry), but how do you know when the irregular bleeding is not related to Implanon?

June 16, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by ypa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I gave it a 2 is because I never got pregnant on it. After much research I decided Implanon was my best bet, since I wouldn't have insurance anymore. The first couple of months were good, until I got a period that never ended. After 2 months of bleeding I got on birth control pills to regulate my period. I was good for 2 months, then started the bleeding again. I basically had my period for 3-4 weeks, then spotted for 2, and *if* I was lucky, had 2 weeks period free. I gained about 20 pounds in the first 3 months, which I could not lose no matter what I did. Mood swings were awful, at one point I was depressed. My skin got bumpy. Finally got insurance to take it out.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by yukaikai (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I got Implanon in on October 2013, after a month my cycle of period has become strange. Starting off being light(spotting) for a week or two, then stopped. But after a while (a week) really heavy like soaking super tampon in 10 mins. That continued a day or two, then light again, lasting for more than 1-2 months at a time, stopping and starting of blood flow during a period. I also experienced cramping and bloating sometimes, started to gain weight after three month gained 5 kg in three month, some mood swing (but not too bad) I've got it removed of course.

June 15, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by I might as well be pregnant! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had mine since October of 2013. At first I was super excited because it was a no fuss birth control that would cause me migraines. After I had it implanted I gained 30lbs in a matter of 3 months. Although I believe some of that was stress (I'm in medical school) but I continued to work out regularly and was still gaining weight. I have not had my period since I've had it but instead I've had bloating, mood swings, lowered sex drive oh and my migraines have gotten worse. Although I love how easy it is I feel like it's taken a real toll on my body. I hate to say it, but I miss having my normal body functions, even my period!

June 10, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by PFC Period (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had this put in a little over a year ago. Wanted something long lasting as I knew I didn't want kids for a while (I was 17) and I can't take pills during Basic Training. No period for a year. A month ago my breasts started swelling up terribly, I gained about 7 lbs, and I become very moody. (Thought I was pregnant) This could be because I just graduated and am training for 5 months very soon, but I think the bar is mainly to blame. My period started yesterday-heavily. I haven't had it for 14 months. I think it's still worth it though (my insurance covers it). No real responsibility and time without the period was nice.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Jules91:

Implanon often tends to get a bad rap, but so to does every other type of contraception. I was on my first lot for 3 years never having a period, after it ran out I wait two months before getting a new one. In those two months I had regular periods. When the new one was inserted I went back to no periods. My mother had an implant for years with regular periods and loved it. I have loved it. It was the best thing for me as I have depression and the pill and some injections caused me to become lifeless and made my depression horrible. Everyone is different so different things work for different people. The upside of the implant is that if you do have issues you can take it straight back out with no side affects. I recommend it

June 4, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by CaseyNicole:

I love this thing! I've NEVER had a problem with it! Had it for three years and about to put another one in. Birth control is tricky and it's not for everyone! I have a high metabolism and have never gained any weight with it! Stopped having periods after about eight months also! Greatest thing ever!

June 3, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by Nikole0910:

I've had this since March of 2010 and at first it was great. I had a period maybe every other month sometimes they would last for a week or a little longer sometimes they would be shorter. Now after 2 years Ive been bleeding for about a month and it is heavy. No pregnancies but I feel like I am. I've had crazy mood swings, sometimes I'm super hungry and sometimes I can't eat and I feel like I'm always tired. Thinking about taking it out

June 3, 2014 12:58 PM