User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 947 reviews 224 medications

6.6
Summary of Implanon reviews 947 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Implanon

Review by TaelorKS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I'm on my third year with it and I love it! It comes out this November and I've had no issues with it at all. A lot of people have weight gain and bad period experiences, but me I've actually lost weight and my periods were normal. Not having to worry about missing a pill is pretty awesome!! Everyone reacts different to it, so try it and if it's a bad reaction get it removed!

June 3, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by Unlucky1:

For Birth Control: I got the bar in late last year. I since put on 10kg in 6 months and had major mood swings. I got all the pregnancy symptoms other than a belly. I only just got it out about 2 weeks ago and I lost 3 kg in one week. But now my body is messed up and isn't coping well. I didn't get my period the whole duration and it still hasn't come. I cannot control my mood swings. About a month before I got it out I was experiencing anxiety and depression. The bar impacts everyone individually, but my experience was really bad. My hormones are still trying to adjust. Over. It.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by Alycp:

For Birth Control: I had Implanon put it in October, and I've been on my period every day since then up until earlier this month. My doctor told me I could expect some irregular periods, but didn't think that meant I would bleed for a straight 7 months. It wasn't awful, no cramping or heavy bleeding. Just an annoyance more than anything. I've been off my period for a couple of weeks now, and am hoping it stays like this for the rest of the time I'm on this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Rldoehl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I love Implanon. I went to my doctor to complain about my birth control pills (different kinds for 6 years) that caused mood swings, breakouts, etc.... she suggested Implanon and in 20 mins I walked out with it! It does not hurt. It looks intimidating but they numb your arm and afterwards it feels like a normal bruise. I have had it for 6 months now. I have no period and NO side effects! No mood swings no breakthrough bleeding no breakouts it's amazing.

May 27, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by ElizabethC0916 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Since I've had this inserted, I've had bleeding/spotting for 13 months. When I first had it put in a year and a half ago, I had my period for 6 months straight. It is effective when it comes to avoiding pregnancy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by Hhhhhnnnnnnnn:

For Birth Control: If you're bleeding for months straight you might want to go to a doctor because I've had this for almost 3 years and I haven't had a period since my first month I got it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 12:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I am 22 and I been on since I was 21, I havent had a period since I have been on, which is fine but my sex drive is out the window. Haven't had sex with my boyfriend in 6 weeks and we live together. I'm just not in the mood AT ALL. Also I notice I have been dry and that has never been the case. Also a lot of weight gain and no matter how much I exercise it wont come off. I also feel like my feet keeps growing. Its perfect for effectiveness but its the price you pay so to each its own. Different bodies react different ways so my story may not be yours.

May 24, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by Kenzie.Ashlyn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had the Implanon for about six months now and I love it. The only thing that is, is that I get my period every other month but once I do get it it happens for a week and goes away like normal but then sometimes I will have a second period 3-4 days later.. I was told to expect anything but I wasn't expecting this. My cramps aren't bad at all but the bleeding time can get annoying.

May 23, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Tra1991 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I'm on my second bar now, the Implanon NXT. First time I had it inserted I bled a lot for 3 months and have not had a period since. I've also lost weight (54kg down to 47kg over the years) and no other side effects. Except once in a while I'll get VERY cranky for a few days - worth it though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2014 11:25 PM

Review by Ldris:

For Birth Control: Been on my period for 6 months straight now. Not a light/spotting thing either. I bleed through super tampons. I don't think I can handle it much longer.

May 19, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Kristen2113 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: My experience was very mixed. I have to say it was effective in preventing pregnancy and not having to worry about taking a pill was wonderful. However, I spent one month on my period and sometimes one month off, usually 2-3 weeks off. That's really effective in preventing pregnancy when you're constantly on your period. Oh and the mood swings? Terrible. I couldn't even stand to be around myself. It also killed my sex drive and made me tired all the time. Just a warning to potential users. It's not all peachy and period free! Two months post removal I'm finally starting to feel like myself again.

May 19, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by ELO222:

For Birth Control: Worked the way it should at first, then I had my period every day for months. The doctor told me to "keep waiting" so I dealt with that for so long before I went to a different doctor to get it taken out. It was effective, but I was bleeding every day for 6 months and they didn't want me to take it out. I no longer go to that doctor. Also it cost 600 dollars and I was told my insurance would cover it, it did not. Terrible, frustrating experience. Left 2 dark scars as well.

May 16, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by Carlee_cecilee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had this inserted for about 7 months. I love it. I have 1 period when it was put in and nothing after but what I hate are the mood swings and I feel kicking in my stomach after multiple test I am not pregnant but the kicking still is present for the time being, it's freaky!

May 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by dgldglddgdg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had mine in since November 2013, it is now May 2014 and I get my period every 4 weeks, for 2 weeks of heavy bleeding, cramping and headaches. It's awful.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by renee12345y799:

For Birth Control: I got it in August 2011 and I never had any serious issues other then irregular periods but now after my 3 years is coming to an end I am in so much discomfort. I have literally been cramping for a week straight, I have no appetite, and I'm also nauseous. The signs I have you would think I was pregnant. I've read from many sites that its common for women to relate their experience to feeling like they are pregnant. Well I find this to be so bad that I will not get it again which is sad because I love it for the last 3 years. Needless to say despite the negatives it does the job and I never had a scare in 3 years it is seriously worry free.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by anne bell:

For Birth Control: My first experience was fine, no bleeding, no pregnancy but when I had a second implant put in place it was a horrible experience. In the beginning I had extremely bad pains and really heavy bleeding I couldn't do anything this carried on for a year with only a couple days break, my mood swings were constant and lost my appetite completely. I was so exhausted by this that I lost 2 stone and became anemic. I went to the Drs and found out that when I get it removed it would take my body about 7 months to go back to normal, although I never got pregnant I don't want to go through this experience again.

May 9, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by nicki253:

For Birth Control: I got the Implanon 3 years ago and have had no side effects from it. Got it taken out today and had the Nexplanon put in the same spot. I am a bit sore from it but it was a much easier procedure then I thought it would be!

May 8, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by Holl's "aka" Anne Oakley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I received Implanon 1-2 years ago. I was cautious at first but went ahead and got it done after my baby girl was born. I have noticed a fluctuation in my weight and my mood, well it fluctuates too. I have only had maybe 5 periods since it was implanted, they were light and only lasted a few days and I haven't had a period in almost a year....in two months it will be a year. I was warned by my doctor that when my period comes.....it can do almost anything, be light, heavy, cramping or none, bloating or none, skip months, shorter or longer periods, periods lasting 1-2 months at a time, stopping and starting of blood flow during a period .....just anything...so be prepared for anything ladies...good luck!

May 7, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by samanthaa23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got mine in October 2013, I was free of periods for the next 2-3 months but since January 2014 I have had constant bleeding, with a stop of just a few days each month. However, it is very light. I wish it would stop.

May 4, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by Me77:

For Birth Control: I love it. I only have to worry about it once every 3 years. I only get my period every 3 to 4 months with minimal cramping although it is a heavy flow. My period only last 4-5 days. I haven't gained weight. I can't think of a single thing "wrong" with it

April 30, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Me123me:

For Birth Control: Bleeding for a year straight. Oh wait the couple weeks I wasn't....I was itchy and dry. But I never got pregnant.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by supermummy:

For Birth Control: Hi. Mother of 5 at 24 and was not planning on having any more kids, so I got the Implanon put in before I got discharged from hospital after the birth of my 5th child. Its only been 3 months and I have gained 4 kilos. Can't seem to manage my appetite and I'm always moody. To top it all off I bleed constantly. I get my period twice in one month. Definitely going to get it removed.

April 24, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Ms Hurt (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Had the Implanon for almost five years, I'm finally going to get it removed. The bleeding has gotten worst. Sometimes I bleed for a whole month and I have picked up so much weight, and these mood swings. I would rather take a chance with a condom or pill and call it a day. I haven't gotten pregnant though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by ashlee93:

For Birth Control: I've had the Implanon since June 2013. Since then no bleeding and cramps were tolerable. The past three days I've been bleeding really heavy and I have no idea what to do.

April 16, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Jaeley:

For Birth Control: Works well. I just hate that my periods are like 4 weeks long and I have mood swings.

April 14, 2014 9:28 PM