Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 956 reviews 225 medications

6.7
Summary of Implanon reviews 956 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Implanon

Review by Judi B:

For Birth Control: I got implanon inserted an April of this year, my period was supposed to come at the end of the month of May. It eventually came, and I have been spotting/bleeding (really light) for 3 weeks. Not as bad as most of your stories (now that I think about it, I have been dry), but how do you know when the irregular bleeding is not related to Implanon?

June 16, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by ypa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I gave it a 2 is because I never got pregnant on it. After much research I decided Implanon was my best bet, since I wouldn't have insurance anymore. The first couple of months were good, until I got a period that never ended. After 2 months of bleeding I got on birth control pills to regulate my period. I was good for 2 months, then started the bleeding again. I basically had my period for 3-4 weeks, then spotted for 2, and *if* I was lucky, had 2 weeks period free. I gained about 20 pounds in the first 3 months, which I could not lose no matter what I did. Mood swings were awful, at one point I was depressed. My skin got bumpy. Finally got insurance to take it out.

June 16, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by yukaikai (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got Implanon in on October 2013, after a month my cycle of period has become strange. Starting off being light(spotting) for a week or two, then stopped. But after a while (a week) really heavy like soaking super tampon in 10 mins. That continued a day or two, then light again, lasting for more than 1-2 months at a time, stopping and starting of blood flow during a period. I also experienced cramping and bloating sometimes, started to gain weight after three month gained 5 kg in three month, some mood swing (but not too bad) I've got it removed of course.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by I might as well be pregnant! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I've had mine since October of 2013. At first I was super excited because it was a no fuss birth control that would cause me migraines. After I had it implanted I gained 30lbs in a matter of 3 months. Although I believe some of that was stress (I'm in medical school) but I continued to work out regularly and was still gaining weight. I have not had my period since I've had it but instead I've had bloating, mood swings, lowered sex drive oh and my migraines have gotten worse. Although I love how easy it is I feel like it's taken a real toll on my body. I hate to say it, but I miss having my normal body functions, even my period!

June 10, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by PFC Period (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had this put in a little over a year ago. Wanted something long lasting as I knew I didn't want kids for a while (I was 17) and I can't take pills during Basic Training. No period for a year. A month ago my breasts started swelling up terribly, I gained about 7 lbs, and I become very moody. (Thought I was pregnant) This could be because I just graduated and am training for 5 months very soon, but I think the bar is mainly to blame. My period started yesterday-heavily. I haven't had it for 14 months. I think it's still worth it though (my insurance covers it). No real responsibility and time without the period was nice.

June 10, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Jules91:

For Birth Control: Implanon often tends to get a bad rap, but so to does every other type of contraception. I was on my first lot for 3 years never having a period, after it ran out I wait two months before getting a new one. In those two months I had regular periods. When the new one was inserted I went back to no periods. My mother had an implant for years with regular periods and loved it. I have loved it. It was the best thing for me as I have depression and the pill and some injections caused me to become lifeless and made my depression horrible. Everyone is different so different things work for different people. The upside of the implant is that if you do have issues you can take it straight back out with no side affects. I recommend it

June 4, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by CaseyNicole:

For Birth Control: I love this thing! I've NEVER had a problem with it! Had it for three years and about to put another one in. Birth control is tricky and it's not for everyone! I have a high metabolism and have never gained any weight with it! Stopped having periods after about eight months also! Greatest thing ever!

June 3, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by Nikole0910:

For Birth Control: I've had this since March of 2010 and at first it was great. I had a period maybe every other month sometimes they would last for a week or a little longer sometimes they would be shorter. Now after 2 years Ive been bleeding for about a month and it is heavy. No pregnancies but I feel like I am. I've had crazy mood swings, sometimes I'm super hungry and sometimes I can't eat and I feel like I'm always tired. Thinking about taking it out

June 3, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by TaelorKS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I'm on my third year with it and I love it! It comes out this November and I've had no issues with it at all. A lot of people have weight gain and bad period experiences, but me I've actually lost weight and my periods were normal. Not having to worry about missing a pill is pretty awesome!! Everyone reacts different to it, so try it and if it's a bad reaction get it removed!

June 3, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by Unlucky1:

For Birth Control: I got the bar in late last year. I since put on 10kg in 6 months and had major mood swings. I got all the pregnancy symptoms other than a belly. I only just got it out about 2 weeks ago and I lost 3 kg in one week. But now my body is messed up and isn't coping well. I didn't get my period the whole duration and it still hasn't come. I cannot control my mood swings. About a month before I got it out I was experiencing anxiety and depression. The bar impacts everyone individually, but my experience was really bad. My hormones are still trying to adjust. Over. It.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by Alycp:

For Birth Control: I had Implanon put it in October, and I've been on my period every day since then up until earlier this month. My doctor told me I could expect some irregular periods, but didn't think that meant I would bleed for a straight 7 months. It wasn't awful, no cramping or heavy bleeding. Just an annoyance more than anything. I've been off my period for a couple of weeks now, and am hoping it stays like this for the rest of the time I'm on this.

May 28, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Rldoehl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I love Implanon. I went to my doctor to complain about my birth control pills (different kinds for 6 years) that caused mood swings, breakouts, etc.... she suggested Implanon and in 20 mins I walked out with it! It does not hurt. It looks intimidating but they numb your arm and afterwards it feels like a normal bruise. I have had it for 6 months now. I have no period and NO side effects! No mood swings no breakthrough bleeding no breakouts it's amazing.

May 27, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by ElizabethC0916 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Since I've had this inserted, I've had bleeding/spotting for 13 months. When I first had it put in a year and a half ago, I had my period for 6 months straight. It is effective when it comes to avoiding pregnancy.

May 27, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by Hhhhhnnnnnnnn:

For Birth Control: If you're bleeding for months straight you might want to go to a doctor because I've had this for almost 3 years and I haven't had a period since my first month I got it.

May 27, 2014 12:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I am 22 and I been on since I was 21, I havent had a period since I have been on, which is fine but my sex drive is out the window. Haven't had sex with my boyfriend in 6 weeks and we live together. I'm just not in the mood AT ALL. Also I notice I have been dry and that has never been the case. Also a lot of weight gain and no matter how much I exercise it wont come off. I also feel like my feet keeps growing. Its perfect for effectiveness but its the price you pay so to each its own. Different bodies react different ways so my story may not be yours.

May 24, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by Kenzie.Ashlyn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had the Implanon for about six months now and I love it. The only thing that is, is that I get my period every other month but once I do get it it happens for a week and goes away like normal but then sometimes I will have a second period 3-4 days later.. I was told to expect anything but I wasn't expecting this. My cramps aren't bad at all but the bleeding time can get annoying.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Tra1991 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I'm on my second bar now, the Implanon NXT. First time I had it inserted I bled a lot for 3 months and have not had a period since. I've also lost weight (54kg down to 47kg over the years) and no other side effects. Except once in a while I'll get VERY cranky for a few days - worth it though.

May 20, 2014 11:25 PM

Review by Ldris:

For Birth Control: Been on my period for 6 months straight now. Not a light/spotting thing either. I bleed through super tampons. I don't think I can handle it much longer.

May 19, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Kristen2113 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: My experience was very mixed. I have to say it was effective in preventing pregnancy and not having to worry about taking a pill was wonderful. However, I spent one month on my period and sometimes one month off, usually 2-3 weeks off. That's really effective in preventing pregnancy when you're constantly on your period. Oh and the mood swings? Terrible. I couldn't even stand to be around myself. It also killed my sex drive and made me tired all the time. Just a warning to potential users. It's not all peachy and period free! Two months post removal I'm finally starting to feel like myself again.

May 19, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by ELO222:

For Birth Control: Worked the way it should at first, then I had my period every day for months. The doctor told me to "keep waiting" so I dealt with that for so long before I went to a different doctor to get it taken out. It was effective, but I was bleeding every day for 6 months and they didn't want me to take it out. I no longer go to that doctor. Also it cost 600 dollars and I was told my insurance would cover it, it did not. Terrible, frustrating experience. Left 2 dark scars as well.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by Carlee_cecilee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had this inserted for about 7 months. I love it. I have 1 period when it was put in and nothing after but what I hate are the mood swings and I feel kicking in my stomach after multiple test I am not pregnant but the kicking still is present for the time being, it's freaky!

May 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by dgldglddgdg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had mine in since November 2013, it is now May 2014 and I get my period every 4 weeks, for 2 weeks of heavy bleeding, cramping and headaches. It's awful.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by renee12345y799:

For Birth Control: I got it in August 2011 and I never had any serious issues other then irregular periods but now after my 3 years is coming to an end I am in so much discomfort. I have literally been cramping for a week straight, I have no appetite, and I'm also nauseous. The signs I have you would think I was pregnant. I've read from many sites that its common for women to relate their experience to feeling like they are pregnant. Well I find this to be so bad that I will not get it again which is sad because I love it for the last 3 years. Needless to say despite the negatives it does the job and I never had a scare in 3 years it is seriously worry free.

May 11, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by anne bell:

For Birth Control: My first experience was fine, no bleeding, no pregnancy but when I had a second implant put in place it was a horrible experience. In the beginning I had extremely bad pains and really heavy bleeding I couldn't do anything this carried on for a year with only a couple days break, my mood swings were constant and lost my appetite completely. I was so exhausted by this that I lost 2 stone and became anemic. I went to the Drs and found out that when I get it removed it would take my body about 7 months to go back to normal, although I never got pregnant I don't want to go through this experience again.

May 9, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by nicki253:

For Birth Control: I got the Implanon 3 years ago and have had no side effects from it. Got it taken out today and had the Nexplanon put in the same spot. I am a bit sore from it but it was a much easier procedure then I thought it would be!

May 8, 2014 9:33 PM