Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 900 reviews 223 medications

6.6
Summary of Implanon reviews 900 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Implanon

Review by DanaKrasch: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: On one hand I've found this birth control beautiful. I went on it while I had a boyfriend and was expecting it was something necessary, and even though he left my life it has come with some interesting quirks. I'm a little conflicted on how I feel they've affected my menstrual cycle. Before any birth control I would have regular monthly periods. But they were heavy, I had to wear overnight pads for all seven days, changing them every three hours. I used to get crippling cramps on my first day. When I started the implant they changed. My first period was 4 days and so, so, so much lighter. No pain. But since the second month I have not had a day without bleeding. Very very light, barely there. No pain still. So there's my puzzle.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 8:33 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Implanon inserted on Jan 8 2014, and had removed Jan 31 2014. It had been horrible. I've experienced in this very short time, no sex drive whatsoever along with dryness of the vagina! Such discomfort I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall back asleep because it itched due to the dryness. I'm usually very, very, lubricated.

January 31, 2014 12:18 PM
Review by susuyas: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got it on April 24 2008, the afternoon of the day I had my baby girl. I must say that IT was new to the birth control scene and my doctors had recommended it for me. I must say I really like it. I had it for 6 yrs now and I am about to get it replaced for a new one. They last for 3 yrs. I don't get a period every month I get it every 3 to 6 months and when I do sometimes its heavy but most of the time its light like enough for panty liners.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 30, 2014 9:23 AM
Review by Ekwg: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have had it for a few months now and haven't had to many problems. No spotting at all, very light and short periods although period pain has been a little worse than usual. No increase of appetite and no loss of sex drive. I like that I don't have to worry about it again for three years. My only real issue is I have noticed I'm having a lot more mood swings though.

January 15, 2014 6:37 PM
Review by kelsey rene93 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I thought it was great. If I start birth control again I would probably go with this again.

January 9, 2014 8:30 PM
Review by Alirwin2017: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got Implanon on August 6th 2013. Soon after I noticed non-stop bleeding, and mood swings. I cried very often, and also ended a relationship. I went through depression, anxiety and had serious headaches. I haven't quit bleeding for more than a week since I've been on it. I don't recommend it to anyone under 18.

January 9, 2014 6:08 PM
Review by Sea999: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: The good: Implanon was 100% effective, and very convenient. The bad: It killed my desire for sex completely. I gained 30 pounds within two months. I have a history of migraines, usually getting them every couple of months, but during the last six months of having Implanon, I was getting them twice a week, with bizarre symptoms. My migraines would make me feel like my face and entire left side of my body was numb. I would forget words, I would have trouble forming sentences. Sometimes it felt like I was totally disconnected from my body, and that my head was caving in. My doctor sent me to get an MRI, but nothing was wrong, and they diagnosed "complex" migraine. Had Implanon removed 2 months later, and the weird migraines stopped.

January 8, 2014 9:01 AM
Review by hayl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on Implanon since May 2013 and altogether I have been on my period for a total of 6 months. My periods used to be super light and 3-4 days long. I have not gained any weight however I have lost all interest in having sex. My boyfriend of a little over a year and a half is going crazy and I am also. I have read some other reviews on it and am glad I am not the only one. I will wait a full year before deciding weather or not I am going to take it out.

January 5, 2014 2:45 AM
Review by kherman (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have had Implanon for over a year and the side effects have been going on for that long. My hair is falling out I have the worst anxiety and mood swings and have gained over 30lbs since on it, no amount of exercise and diet can help. I have an appointment in 3 weeks to have it removed because of the side effects.

January 2, 2014 12:58 PM
Review by insertnamehere (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I give it a six because you don't have to worry about it and it's good for three years, quick and painless procedure, not getting pregnant, it's pretty beneficial for a person with a hectic lifestyle. However, I instantly became depressed more than usual. I can tell I've lost some energy but nothing drastic. I haven't gained that much weight but I also haven't been on it more than a few months. I've also been constantly spotting which doesn't bother me that much because it doesn't get everywhere. I just coexist with the mild blood, I would probably recommend this to another female but just warn her about the crappy mood swings.

December 29, 2013 9:18 PM
Review by Nat678: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: Insertion was slightly uncomfortable, but nothing unbearable. I bled intermittently for the first week and I was an emotional mess.. I almost ended my relationship. These symptoms subsided after seven days and I did not get my period again. I did not experience any decline in sex drive, however my appetite went through the roof! I was constantly hungry and thinking about food. I put on 5kg (11 pounds) in four months, which really affected me. I had the Implanon removed one month ago, and instantly switched over to Nuvaring. Within 48 hours my appetite had returned to normal and I lost 1kg in two weeks without effort. As the Implanon is cheap, effective and simple I'd recommend giving it a go, but beware that it may cause significant side effects.

December 19, 2013 1:30 AM
Review by Anonymous75 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have had this for about a year and a half and have loved it so far. My periods have completely stopped which for some is a worry but I find it rather convenient. The process of putting it is wasn't too bad but there was a little swelling and bruising at the site for a few days which is to be expected. Prior to getting Implanon I was switching around birth control pills trying to find something that would regulate my periods and work well for me, so this was a great change, I recommend everyone to talk to their doctors if they are looking for a new alternative. I have pretty good insurance so what would've cost me more than $700 got reduced to only $30 including the insertion procedure, also alleviates the monthly cost.

December 12, 2013 1:08 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had problems with my periods forever. Oral contraceptives were not working for me. So, I talked with my physician about IMPLANON and was astounded with how painless the process was! It worked like a DREAM! coming from someone who used to have cramps so severe and bleeding so extensive this was heaven, until.. the "spotting" happened (over 7 months later) I had heavy bleeding for weeks. Yes, weeks. It would stop and I would give it another chance. After the 3rd time this "Spotting" happened, I had enough. I had it removed. If it works for you, I am so glad.

December 4, 2013 3:55 PM
Review by Kittykellie: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Implanon for almost a year. I never stopped bleeding the entire time. Prior to the Implanon I was getting the Depo Provera shot, I had been getting that for 3 years and never stopped bleeding on that either. That was the only negative side effect for me, unfortunately, bleeding non-stop for a year is pretty bad, almost defeats the purpose of birth control. I gave it a 2 because I like that I didn't have to worry at ALL about it. It was in, and I didn't have to remember to take a pill, or change anything. My doctor says if you want to try the Implanon, try the Depo Provera shot first, and if you bleed constantly on that, don't switch to Implanon. If you do good on Depo Provera shot, the Implanon will most likely work for you as well.

November 27, 2013 11:17 PM
Review by FelicityMerrill: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I have only had the Implanon for 4 weeks and am going in today to have it removed. I chose this because its an "out of sight out of mind" easier birth control. But the side effects for me have been horrendous. I have had severe anxiety, mood swings, and depression. And instead of little issues rolling right off my shoulders it feels as though its the end of the world. I've never struggled with this before. I've also had literal thoughts of suicide and self harm. Also, caused my sex drive to become pretty much non-existent. Coming from a woman who has been with the same man for 12 years and could have sex 3x per day. I started having no sex drive and had very dry vagina.

November 25, 2013 10:19 AM
Review by k.cherry: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got Implanon in 2010 when I was 19, the first three years were fine. When I got it replaced 09/2013, the problems started. I didn't bleed the first month, but October until this moment I haven't stopped! The headaches are bad too, lasting days at a time (I've learned to ignore them) but I know this is because my blood pressure is NEVER under 160. Other than that everything is fine. I didn't gain weight, but lost some when I got off the pill. Most important, I'm not pregnant yet! I love it, but its to each its own.

November 21, 2013 3:39 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got this birth control almost a year ago. In the beginning my periods remained the same. For about 2 months I bled every other week. It was hardly bleeding. More like spotting. Now for the past couple moths I've been skipping periods. Overall the bleeding is irregular. But it's a small price to pay for the luxury of this birth control. I don't have to remember to take pills. I have not had any weight gain. No hair loss. I have not gotten pregnant. My sex drive is the same. My moods are the same. I have not had any negative side effects besides irregular bleeding. This is the first and only birth control I have ever taken and so far it's been working just fine.

November 19, 2013 2:22 AM
Review by Hydeleena: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got my Implanon in May 2011 after my son was born, I didn't have a period for a month after that like normal, then the spontaneous bleeding began ( like I expected, the doctor told me it would happen) but then 2 months passed then 3 then 6! With almost constant bleeding, I called my doctor and she said to give it 6 more months and at the year mark my periods would stop all together, that day came and went but the problem continued. Along with that I have had a non existent sex drive, severe weight gain, acne, depression, anxiety, hormonal and hair loss, getting it out in 2hrs!

November 15, 2013 9:47 AM
Review by Courrrtney: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: The Implanon worked great for me. Kept my periods regular for about 6 months then they started slowing down. After the first year my periods completely stopped! I didn't gain any weight. I get cramps once in awhile but that's about it and I never once got pregnant on it! I would so recommend this to someone! I love it.

November 13, 2013 11:04 AM
Review by Anonymous33152: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I only give this a two because technically it is 'effective' because I haven't gotten pregnant. However, I absolutely hate it!!! I have had it about 6 months and I've had my period/spotting almost the entire time. It really interferes with my sex life. I got it because my friend has it and likes it but I would not recommend this to anyone. I'm getting it taken out ASAP.

November 9, 2013 6:30 PM
Review by TruthCourageWisdom: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had the worst experience with the Implanon implant. I did my research before I got the implant and it seemed to be a great choice for my first time being on birth control. I was 20 when I got it. The first month all I wanted to was SLEEP! All I did was work eat and sleep I tried my hardest to stay up and go out but i just didn't have the energy. The doctor informed me that I would bleed for about 3months once I got the implant and then I would have a period once a month. That was not the case at all. I bled the entire time I had it until a got it removed on 10-23-13(the best day of my life)! I gained 20 pounds in 7 months and it was pretty much impossible for me to lose weight. It didn't do anything to me sex drive. Do Not Get It!

November 8, 2013 9:45 PM
Review by Florintina (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: For me Implanon has been the best thing I ever got in never had any problems with it or many side effects. stopped my periods totally but I don't mind that at all. After getting my second one in today and happy out. Definitely would recommend it as I was put on different pills before I got Implanon in and they didn't agree with me at all I felt very sick and bloated and stabbing pains I was delighted when found out about Implanon :)

November 8, 2013 5:31 PM
Review by Jelb1016: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: My experience has been HORRIBLE. I got it after I gave birth on Nov 2012 and at the begginig it was cool. I have not gained weight i have just lost mad weight and it sucks I weigh less then I've ever weighed before. On March of 2013 I got my period and now is Nov. and I still have it non-stop full on period and it sucks I have an appt on Nov 13th to get it removed. I have lost my sex drive, I've been bipolar this thing had made me crazy I cannot wait to get it removed and have my life back. Would not recomend it to anyone.

November 4, 2013 6:19 PM
Review by mamaof2girls (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I was put on Implanon in September 2011 after delivering my second daughter in July 2011. I did not have a period for several months after getting it besides a few days of spotting here and there. Within one month of getting Implanon I started getting serious headaches, and in February I began passing out randomly, I had low blood pressure, low heart rate, and was diagnosed with pseudo tumor cerebri. I had to get a lumbar puncture to relieve the pressure. A few days later I had to get a blood patch, because I got a spinal headache. I ended up needing a second lumbar puncture in aug 2012. In nov 2012 I was also diagnosed with pcos which caused acne, hair growth, painful periods, and infertility. I was told that implanon caused these.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 4, 2013 1:08 PM
Review by lov3lyme: User Rating:

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've been on implanon since Jan 2011 and for the first 6 months it was great. I didn't have a cycle or any side effects but then things went down hill. I have had back pains, headaches, my cycle is unpredictable I bleed from 5-14 days and have gained a tremendous amount of weight. I've been bleeding so much to the point where my blood count has been low and my doctor has had to give me a pill form to take with implanon to slow the bleeding. The only positive thing is that I haven't got pregnant. I get this removed Jan 2014 and can't wait. I'll probably go back to depo

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate