User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1117 reviews 252 medications

6.7
Summary of Implanon reviews 1117 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "I had my implant inserted in December 2014 and am now seriously considering having it removed after less than a year. The first 3 months were okay, only 2 regular periods with occasional light spotting in between. Well, that ended in a big ole hurry. I now have constant, heavy spotting (including during my wedding in April, yes it was so much fun to make my maid of honor hold my dress while I REPEATEDLY changed my tampon, AT. MY. WEDDING.) and my cystic bacne is out of control. I've now been on my period for almost 2 straight months, and needless to say I'm sick of it. I've also gained 15ish pounds. We don't want kids yet so it's great that it works for pregnancy prevention, but I'm not sure it's worth all the extra side effects."

KFishy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I love it I haven't had any weight gain and the only problem was my period lasted a month but other then that I have very few headaches and haven't gotten pregnant"

Xoxo12 July 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I got this after my son was born! Boy that was the worst idea ever! I've always weighed around 120 after having my son I was 130 at my 6 week checkup and then at my next appt 2 months later I weighed 157. I have tried everything to lose weight and nothing works! I used to love sex and this has killed my sex drive completely like I never feel like having sex ever. I bleed for at least 3 weeks out of the month. When I get this taken out I'll never use this again!"

Clynnsmith09 July 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I wouldn't recommend this to anyone I have had my period for 9 weeks straight"

Aseeley (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

For Birth Control "Since getting the implant in I had a few longer periods, and now I haven't gotten it for a couple months. That has been the only advantage so far for me. I was always skinny, then gained 30 pounds from this. Being in my 20's I was horrified. I have to get all new clothes because of mine not fitting, and I was so embarrassed to even go out. I've also never had acne before, and now I've been having major breakouts constantly. I also have no sex drive anymore, I have no energy, and I have been very depressed which has never happened to me before. I am now getting this removed after 5 months of having it. Overall, I would not recommend this option. But of course, this doesn't happen to everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I first had my first one inserted in 2008 shortly after having my first and only child. I had minimal side effects. My period stopped until about a year out from the removal date and became light and irregular with months inbetween so it wasn't really a problem. I had bad acne growing up but my skin cleared. I never have had much of a sex drive to begin with so I don't know how much of an effect the implanon had on that side of things. Same goes in regards to depression. My appetite did increase a large amount and there has been gradual weight gain over the 7 years of use. The removal of my 3rd one had complications due to it moving deeper into my arm so I have decided to give it a break now and see what happens to my body without one."

Tonks (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I had it after my third baby ,April 2014, no evident side effects except for long period of menstrual cycle which I think is normal and doesn't really bother me at all because it is still regular and on a monthly basis(5-7days,my usual menstrual period is only 3days). But what really bothers me is after a year of having implant, I started having cystic acne,that no matter what you do it doesn't go away, I haven't had any pimples during my teenage years, before I got pregnant and after having two kids, but recently they just keep popping up. I went to a dermatologist and have it checked (still hoping it wasn't because of the implant) but well, it was really because of the hormonal changes that occurs with the implant. I Need to have it removed!"

peekerz June 28, 2015

For Birth Control "Easy method reliable. Increased back pain, mood swings, no sex drive at all, weight gain and hard to shift even with controlled eating and 5 days gym training. Good for 6 months then constant bleeding. Always tired, early removal and most things have changed for the better but the withdrawal on it (only 1 week) causing depression for no reason even with no history of it before considering 90% of my life is perfect"

natnord June 27, 2015

For Birth Control "Had this placed a two and a half years ago. Placing it was easy and pain free. The first year and a half were great. The last year has gotten increasingly worse. Lots of break through bleeding. Recently spotting lasted for 6 straight weeks. Initially Advil would stop the spotting (per my doctor's recommendation) but now nothing does. I would still get it inserted again though. The first year and a half really were great and I had none of the usual birth control side effects. I am getting it removed in a few weeks and my doctor has assured me that she has taken out several and none of the patients have complain removal pain. Fingers crossed."

JR1111111 June 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I was only on this for a month because the symptoms were too much for me. The day right after getting this put in, I was very suicidal (never happened to me before) and my anxiety was through the roof. This calmed down after a few days, but the anxiety stilled showed up on and off. In addition, I bled every day for a the month I had it in (heavy bleeding and cramping). I also noticed my skin acting up. I did not gain weight, nor did this change my appetite, but the bleeding, anxiety, and depression were enough for me to quit. I read some blogs that indicated that some women didn't see a reduction in the symptoms even after a year on the pill. Lastly, my sex drive completely went away so it almost felt pointless to stay on this."

jackiepp June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I wouldn't recommend. I didn't get pregnant however it did throw my hormones off & I gained weight (25lbs) from having this product inside me for years. It frequently threw off my menstrual cycle causing my hormones to do the same & this usually extended my period. I had to take birth control pills along with Implanon due to the longer periods. I wish I would have just stuck with Regular Birth control pills but I was scared I wouldn't remember to take it due to my busy schedule however now I set a reminder on my cell phone that goes off everyday. I recommend you try this before putting the Implanon in your body also it was hell getting it out being that it moved around & more."

MrsReynolds804 June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "Good for birth control and no period! But I have the worst acne and I used to never have any :( and so much weight gain"

mob24688 June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I get really off-time periods and spot for weeks sometimes. I got it in October and it still happens. I was put on 10mg of Prozac to counter act the PMS, which is near psychotic even without the implant. I have the worst acne I've had since I was 13. I'm a skin picker too, so it blows. I also have chronic depression and the damn thing only adds to it. My boyfriend and I never use condoms because of latex allergies and I'm childfree, so it's doing one thing right, and that is all that matters... Unless you have mental issues, then it not so good. I'll probably get it out before the end of the 3 years."

CheyKline June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "This is my 2nd time w/ implanon and I love it! At first, I did bleed for a long period of time, possibly a month, but I informed my doctor, and she put me on some type of other birth control, a patch at the same time, which balanced out my hormones. I did that for a while, and it stopped the bleeding. (So be sure to inform your doctor of increased bleeding.) After that things became normal, and I no longer had a period. This is common and nothing to worry about. I'd go at least a year without having a period, then have a random period for about 1-2 weeks. I can deal with that! I did gain weight at first, and for the first year it is difficult to lose the weight. I would recommend this birth control. Haven't gotten pregnant!"

Vanurssa (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I got this birth control in July 2012 and I bled for about 3 months straight, with light and heavy bleeding. Then after that I never got another period until now, it's getting near the end of the 3rd year and I'm starting to spot lightly. I don't know if this is normal and I can't find the answer anywhere. I would have to say that my fiancé and I love it, just not the prolonged bleeding in the beginning. I would recommend this birth control to anyone who may forget to take the pill."

MirsMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2015

For Birth Control "Very good but caused cystic acne!! Very horrible acne!!! I went 3 years but got it again..it works well other than acne. My period is pretty much normal. Sometimes I've forgot I had the birth control!!"

Brittany Myers (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I think this has to be the best birth control out of all i have tried (shot, pills etc.) The first time i got it i had mood swings, headaches and the last three months before it needed to get removed i had the heaviest period i have ever had. Then i took a small break from it and got the shot (instantly gained almost 10 pounds), so back to it i went. This time i feel great about it. No weight gain, mood swings, or headaches. When you put something in your body that stops a process your body was made to do, OF COURSE your gonna have side effects. Besides the insertion and removal, everything about this contraception is worth it."

Neice11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the implant for about 2 months now (got it the start of May). During my experience with implanon it hasn't been that bad. I had very light spotting for the first couple of weeks, then it stopped so far. I get mood swings of epic proportions but other that that it's all kosher. Me and my boyfriend don't use other contraceptives and no babies so far. I have not gotten the bad acne, weight gain ( I'm actually losing weight!) or super heavy bleeding so I call it a success. I recommend!"

Nubian Queen (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I honestly have not had too many problems with this. I have had it for almost 5 months now and at first I did get migranes and gained about 20 lbs but after about 2 months the headaches went away and I am just now getting my period for the first time since starting this birth control. It is lasting over 2 weeks though. So I guess the most helpful thing I can say is a majority of the side effects will be temporary and are usually just your body adjusting and that it is a very effective form of birthcontrol! Don't let certain reviews scare you because everyone has a different experience!"

Macgill123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

For Birth Control "TERRIBLE!!!!!! I just got mine removed today & switched to an IUD. I had it for 3 years and my experience was horrible! I gained about 60lbs, very emotional and always crying, my hair fell out and is extremely thin now, and I would come on my period 3 times a month. The only thing I will say is that my boyfriend and I were very careless with our sex and I never got pregnant so it for sure works well. But no, I don't recommend !!! "

Teeee June 12, 2015

For Birth Control "The first week was great. My period stopped and I thought "wow this is going to work"... Oh how wrong I was. It has been anything but great. I have mood swings, anxiety, severe depression, don't want to be in social situations with extreme paranoia. For no logical reason I feel like my partner doesn't love me. I have my period twice a month. I spot bleed every other day. Within the first 6weeks I experienced bacterial vaginosis. Lasted a week (never had it before - I was scared, disgusted and embarrassed), thrush on and off for three, a UTI on and off for three (while I has thrush). I would still recommend trying, I haven't gotten pregnant and every girl responds different. Just be aware of how terrible it can be. I am getting it removed"

jujuflan June 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I absolutely hate this form of birth control. I have been on my period for months. Heavy bleeding, horrible headaches, and terrible uncontrollable mood swings. Getting out ASAP."

Car890 June 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I just get real moody and depress sometimes if this helps anyone I dont have to worry about and its very effective I LOVE MY DOCTOR"

Ms.E❤ June 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Implanon on April the 15th, and didn't bleed until 10th of May, when I started spotting. I spotted for about a week and then all hell broke loose (literally) I've been bleeding heavily for 2 months now. People are telling me it stops after 3 months, but I've read others saying they've had it for 7-12 months! I have always had problems with my ovaries so generally that time of a month is killer, going on the Implanon was purely to ease my periods, not getting pregnant is a bonus. I rate it a 9 on birth control. You can't have sex from all the bleeding; so you can't get pregnant.."

MelissaMay22 June 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I HIGHLY suggest against this birth control. I was on the pill, but was annoyed at taking them every day so I switched to Implanon. Worst idea ever. I gained over 30 pounds in 5 months, have NO sex drive, extreme abdominal pains, periods for months (MONTHS) straight, very moody, and lethargic all the time. I tried going to the gym for a while but the weight kept gaining (without any diet change). I went from 120lbs to now 150lbs. Not OK!! Oh, I forgot about acne. Yeah, a TON of it that will not go away no matter what you do. Do yourself a favor and do not get this birthcontrol. I finally get it out on Monday and I'm switching back to the pill!"

Allaiine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2015