User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1089 reviews 255 medications

6.7
Summary of Implanon reviews 1089 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "When I first got it I had a light period for three weeks, however it stopped and never came back until I had to remove it for my second Implanon. My skin was clear of acne, I did had a little facial hair growing but I dismissed it (thought it would be better than getting pregnant). My hormones calmed, I was always angry before and this made me happier at the time. Now I have one year and a half with my second Implanon and I'm removing it. I've gained weight (I've never had a healthy diet though) I've gotten even more facial hair and the acne is like I'm in high school again. I have two cysts on my uterus and I have made hair growing on my inner tights (yikes!), sex drive has disappeared. Sorry Implanon, gotta let you go."

ByebyeImplanon June 1, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the implant May 2014. I didn't have a period until Jan, which last 3 weeks. Now end of May 2015 I'm on a second period entering the second week. It's been working great thus far. I only gained 5 pounds while on it. White heads on my face, on my chin specifically have increased :( . The only other issue I have is my arm itches where the implant is at times."

Coraki June 1, 2015

For Birth Control "I got Implanon put in my arm after my third child. I had a c section with my third baby and do not want to get pregnant again. My periods are really lite and occasionally get cramps. I exercise everyday but have not lost weight. My appetite has increased, by overall it has been great. I've had it now for almost 5 months, but one the 3 years is up, I will take out and not replace."

Lady5______ May 31, 2015

For Birth Control "Positives: Don't need to remember, doesn't hurt my arm, haven't gotten pregnant. Negatives: I have been bleeding very heavily every day for 4 months straight. Overall, because of the bleeding, I have not had a pleasant experience and hope to get it removed asap. Hopefully an IUD will be better."

Liz94 May 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the implanon put in August 2012 at my 6 week postpartum check. It does what is says help prevent pregnancy. My only complaint is the weight gain that I've had and to trouble it is to lose it. While on the implanon my periods were irregular But light. I'm getting the Nexplanon hopefully in a few weeks see how it goes."

mommy0912 May 29, 2015

For Birth Control "Had mine for a year, did gain half a stone after having it inserted but later lost it and more with a healthy diet. Have irregular periods which can last for 2 weeks being either heavy or light, always spotting, got bad skin but most of all started growing facial hair which my nurse said is a uncommon side effect but can happen! I'm getting IT out and going on the patch, overall I did like it, the only side effect that bothered me is the facial hair so I have to get it out! (Implant was free as I'm From the UK"

Kerryann1991 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2015

For Birth Control "Additional Comments about IMPLANON: I decided on implanon because my periods were so painful I couldn't walk around without a hot water bottle pressed to my stomach and had constant chunks bigger than sandwich pickles. For a week, sometimes two I would be house and bed ridden which was effecting my working life. I have had a dry mouth since a couple of days after the implant and the first week I did have some dryness downstairs but I added extra things like nuts to my regular diet to promote vitamin E and oils to my skin and body. With the extreme bleeding side effects I think anyone who gets implanon just so they don't forget the pill and complains is just ridiculous. With all the complications you need to be aware of what you are gambling. I had 4 periods in 6 weeks previous to getting the implant put in so I felt like I had nothing to lose by gambling on the hopes that implanon would maybe fix or regulate my already wacky and heavy painful cycle. There are plenty of other forms of contraception for those who cannot deal with the idea that it effects everyone differently and you don't just get what you want from it. It's not a present its a means to an end for those who are willing to risk the chance of those side effects."

Moondie (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

For Birth Control "Got my impant Nov 2014 having it taken out tomorrow. The pro of having it not having to remember to take a daily pill. Cons in my experience weight gain and not beings able to lose it even with diet and exercise. Acne which I've haven't experience since I was a teenager. Mood swings and depression. First three months I bleed after that my period last two weeks every month. My period use to last 3 to 5 days. The insertion wasn't too bad with the exception of the needle. But having it removed I will have stitches put in and have a scar. But at this point I can't take it anymore I just want to out. I thought because I'm healthy and fit I wouldn't have negative side affects, but my body didn't respond favorably."

ivette mary May 28, 2015

For Birth Control "Im 27 yrs old mother of 2 and I've had the implanon for a yr and a half and the first week my mood swings were crazy, I was crying uncontrollably at times...when I got the implant I was 105 never had any weight issues in my life, now I hungry all the time, I never feel full or satisfied, I'm now 122 and I'm not happy about it..I wanted to wait the 3 yrs before removing it because it costs so much but Im considering taking it out very soon...also since being on this I have a full 7 day period every other week and I went to the doctor about it and all they wanted to do was pit me on the low low estrogen daily pill, I'd I was any good at taking a daily pill I wouldn't have gotten the implan js."

ssmith2902 May 27, 2015

For Birth Control "If there was an option for zero stars out of ten it would receive zero. I got this put in my arm about a year and a half ago and since then have put on right around 100lbs. I never get a period but have the worst cramps I've ever had in my life around every 3 months. I've never had acne, and now I can't get rid of it no matter how much medication I use. I am overly emotional and have the worst mood swings. My best advice: STAY AWAY FROM IMPLANON"

Keirsten May 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I got this put in my arm a little over a month ago. The past few weeks I went from having perfectly clear skin to having breakouts. Though the breakouts aren't horrible, they are bad enough for me to wish I had gone with something else. I'm actually considering having it removed if it doesn't clear up soon. Why should I have to take a step down in the looks department just so I won't get pregnant? I haven't experienced any other side effects besides the breakouts. Overall, making the decision to have a birth control that you can't remove on your own is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. They're expensive and if they don't work out, that's money down the drain."

BrittneyCandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2015

For Birth Control "Man oh man. Let me tell ya'll about this implanon birth control. I got this implant in my arm one month after I had my twin girls. I just got it taken out yesterday, I had this piece of shit a little over a year. Putting it in isn't bad. But I bled for that whole year and one month! Extremely heavy. At one point I thought I had to go to the ER. Not only that hair loss is one of the side effects that they don't tell you about in the doctors office. My hair has gotten so damn thin it's a shame. PLUS don't forget about the acne that never goes away, no matter how many times you wash your face lol. I've read that woman gained weight on this, but for me it was the complete opposite, I lost a lot of weight.. Plus constant mood swings!"

Maeva Carneva May 22, 2015

For Birth Control "First two weeks, arm was sensitive and painful. Could feel the implant but after two weeks, I didn't notice it at all. But I have lost my sex drive, am moody and have had 7 months of spotting and bleeding. Have to constantly line my panties. Lighter periods. No weight gain. Had UTI recently but not sure if that's related. Hope it gets better."

20yearold May 22, 2015

For Birth Control "Second implant (5 yrs). Severe headaches, permanent 5 year long period with a small relief each month, acne, hormonal problems, severe abdominal pain, my kidney stones were nothing compared to what the doctors thought were ovarian cysts bursting (its a side effect, another no one knew/told me/made info accessible).So much they don't know. Don't get it if you have depressive tendencies! Again no info I could find at the time! Mental health has been appalling; raging anger; mood swings; depression; anxiety. Don't feel pressure to get it or stay on it if it's not for you. It's your body! I pressured myself in fear of pregnancy ruining my life plan, but I'd rather deal with unwantedpreg. I want to be myself again without symptoms! Not recommend"

Aethel (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "So I'm 21, I'm on my second implant. I loved implanon first time around. I don't have my period at all, I've never really had any crazy side affects until this second time around. I recommended all my friends get it. They must have changed it. I got my second one replaced about 3 months ago. I've had crazy weight gain and I'm eating better than ever and exercising. My feet, ankles, feet and face have been swelling. I'm very disappointed second time around. I'm actually getting it removed tomorrow. Everyone is going to react differently. So maybe this second implant is just a different reaction."

Kayce (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "This November 2015 would make a year since I've had the Implanon. Its been the worst. I have bad sharp pain in my arm, I've gained 44lbs since then, I can't even carry my babies without my arm feeling numb and in pain. It's been so bad that people could actually feel and see how my arm swells up."

celiaaaaaaaaa May 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 20 years old and horrible at taking the pill everyday. So I've had this lovely bar in my arm for almost a year now. I've had one period and no cramps what so ever. But the weight gain has been crazy. I have in total almost gained 30 pounds!! Definitely getting this removed and just going to have to suck it up and take the pill"

Anonymous May 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the implanon for about 5-6 months now. I've gained about 8 pounds within those months. It is a very effective birth control, but I've never been so moody and angry in my life. Ever since I've got it my boyfriend and I have noticed my moods being completely different and awful. Not only have I gained weight, but its also making me break out really bad. My acne will not go away no matter what I try to use."

Valerie. May 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I first had the Implant inserted in June 2011, I absolutely loved it. I had no periods whatsoever, and I was always forgetting to take the pill this contraception method I originally couldn't speak highly enough of. I had it taken out and replaced slightly early as I was going travelling and it would have needed doing whilst I was away, again couldn't fault it, perfect for travelling not having to worry about taking the pill. I am now entering my third year on my second implant and I have been experiencing bleeding on and off, a mixture of heavy and light flow for anything from 2 days to 8 days stopping for anything up to 2 days to 6 days before it starts again for nearly 2 months now and it is killing me. I'm hoping it will balance out!"

Hendo91 May 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this implant a little over two years not by choice but I have had a non stop period the whole time I have had it. Uncontrollable weight gain. And horrible break outs. Plan to have it removed soon."

liz______ May 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the implant on 2014 it's almost been a year . I've gained about 30lbs, my period comes ones every 3 months. I get horrible cramps . And before I get it I always seem to get a UTI which is horrible. Since I've had it I been really moody with a horrible bitchy attitude. I want it taken out ASAP !"

Baby_dee3113 May 13, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this for 4 weeks now and think all girls should get it. I always had a regular cycle and a period every 4 weeks but now haven't had one since before I got it. I haven't gained any weight (yet) amd haven't had an increased appetite. The only slight downfall is I get a little bit of pain in my arm sometimes but nothing unbearable. Would highly recommend!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Got the bar in early August of 2014. Everything seemed to ok then my periods won't stop, I keep losing weight and I'm so cranky. I've tried to tell my Dr and they want to prescribe me more birth control on top of the bar to see if my periods stop. I'm so tired of this bar so I just want it out of my body. Do not recommend this, if the pill works for u, then stay with what u trust."

lovinmomma1455 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I used implanon right after first child only for about a year was very fat got it removed lost the weight but no other side effects. After second child got it again only this time I have terrible migraine headaches, mood swings and weight gain, I have tried losing weight and eating healthy and I do lose the weight but it has to be a strict diet and exercise routine or else my weight will just come right back I also get my period about 2-3 time a month! For me this is definitely not worth it. Getting it removed asap"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I got implanon as a teenager. After insertion (which hurt like hell) i had constant light spotting for 6 months. When I tried to get it taken out, the doctor couldn't find it. I went in a second time to a different GP and again he couldn't get it out. In the end I put up with it for about 2 years, and had to go under general anesthetic and have an operation in hospital to remove it- it was deep in the muscle and curved around itself. I now have a nasty scar as a result of cutting into the arm several times to have it removed. Now many years later- I have been trying to concieve for over 10 months without success. Whether or not this is related I don't know- but I wish someone had been there to tell my 17 year old self to stay well away"

Tara_jane85 May 3, 2015