User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1056 reviews 251 medications

6.7
Summary of Implanon reviews 1056 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "I had implanon inserted a little over a year ago. It was not painful. I haven't had a period for 8 months. I don't have mood swings. And my acne cleared up. I am a nurse so I researched it a bit. The only ingredient is progesterone which is a natraul hormone woman already have. And of course the plastic that it's made of. Safe for your health. Definitely a positive experience for me!"

Katie713 April 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the implanon inserted about a month ago. 3 weeks after insertion I started spotting and have been for about 2/3 weeks, it's very light and it is annoying but I'm hoping it settles down within the next month or so. So far I have had no weight gain, I had really bad mood swings for the first 3/4 weeks, I was crying almost every night. That has seemed to settle down though, so far id rate it a 7/10. We'll see what my rate it after another month or two."

LaylaBurton April 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been using Implanon for almost 5 years now, and I didn't experience any bad side effects. When I had my first one implanted in my left arm I did spot lightly for a little while just a few months, then I didn't have a period at all, or spotting, I love it. When my 3 years was up I had it removed and replaced in that same arm and still no bad side effects. No weight gain or skin changes or pains and I honesly forget that it's even there."

Steph.Marie92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

For Birth Control "So far, I love the implanon! I read so many horror stories before getting it inserted that I was so scared. I'm 21 and have horrible periods normally. I had to stop taking the pill as I gained 8 kgs, my breasts were so tender all the time and I was so emotional and teary. I honestly thought the implanon would do the same to me but so far NO periods, NO weight gain (in fact i've lost weight) Great sex drive, My mood is the same as always! Really happy! Don't let all the negative stories affect you, everyone's body works so differently!"

Happychap. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I just had my implant changed a week ago after 3 years and for me it's been great. I used to be on the pill but it made me ill. For me the first 3 months my periods were irregular but afterwards I got one every month for about 5 days, me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex and no babies so far, I get moodswings but what girl doesn't, and I haven't gained weight at all either its the perfect contraception for me plus reduction of breakouts :)"

Great for me :) (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2015

For Birth Control "For some people, it works. Not for me though... I've had a period ever since I got it before Christmas. It makes me extremely moody and emotional. It's now maybe working better? But not sure. I regret it, and I'm too scared to get it taken out. Even though it didn't hurt that bad to put in."

Hi00000 April 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I loved the Implanon for the first year of use. It was easy, painless, and effective. I barely got a period the entire first year on it. (Awesome!) It also had no effect on my high blood pressure. I would have recommended it to anyone 10/10 times. Now that I have had it for a year and a half, I change my mind. I have read that it becomes less effective in preventing PMS symptoms over time and it has proven to be true. The past 4 months I have been randomly bleeding for days on end, multiple times a month. Painful cramps and intense mood swings. I just made an appointment to have it removed. Everyone is different, but I would most recommend the Implanon for a year of use. Definitely worth it for that period of time."

kate012391 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Implanon put into my arm whilst I was still breastfeeding which was about November last year ( 2014) I noticed no bleeding at all and five months later still not one spot of blood. My baby is eight months old and I have just stopped breastfeeding. I have lost 5kg's in 3 months I have noticed I don't have an appetite anymore, has anyone else noticed weight loss with Implanon?"

NickyBman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my first implant inserted November 2011. The following three years were bliss for me as my periods were exactly the same as when I was on no contraception (not heavy nor light for around 5 days.) my weight and skin stayed the same and had no pregnancy scares. Assured it was perfect for me, I got my second implant in November 2014 and it has been nothing but trouble! My periods are now heavy and irregular. Initially it was spotting but now I have had my period for two months straight with heavy bleeding and cramps. I'm seeing my doctor today to get answers. The only positive since my second implant is that I'm not pregnant (not that I've wanted to have sex due to the circumstances)"

Holly543 April 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the implant for a couple of months now, & it's working out great! Although my emotions are heightened and I have suffered with mouth sores. My periods have stopped all together and my skin is fine. I encourage this to anyone!"

Unknown.x April 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had it going on 8 months. I gained 25 lbs in the first two months, I'm irrationally moody, and now going on week 7 of continuous period. I'm going to look for another form of contraception."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this birth control for over a year. Within the first 6 months I lost 11 pounds, my period was not regular and I had it for two months straight, lots of spotting also. I used to never get acne on my back and barely on my face but this caused me to get acne horribly. Then my period randomly stopped I haven't had it for 9 months. I slowly started gaining my weight back and extra weight, I've gained 15 pounds back but I'm eating healthier and exercising more than I did when I lost my weight. I can not get my weight to go back to normal. I used to have migraines but now I get one at least every other day, also I'm very emotional. I'm getting the implanon removed, this birth control wasn't for me!"

Alyssa Vitt April 4, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on implanon for almost three years now and will probably get it again when the time is due. When I first started my periods became spotty and then went away all together. It's fantastic. No mood swings, so weight gain, and no acne either. I was on the depo shot before this and that was complete opposite. I've had no issues with implanon and would definitely recommend it."

Katie789 March 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this in for just over 3 months. The insertion was quick and painless and the bruising afterwards was a little uncomfortable, but generally fine, and went away completely after 2 weeks. For the first 2.5 months I had constant irregular bleeding, not heavy, but it was inconvenient as it was quite dark in colour, and pretty unpredictable. No cramps which was good. Now, I'm delighted as I haven't had any bleeding at all and it's totally settled down. Mood seems normal and in terms of weight gain, I may have gained a couple of pounds but it all seems to have gone to my breasts. They've gone up a whole cup size haha! Really pleased with this birth control now bleeding has stopped."

lucymaylou March 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Implanon June 2014, It was fine for the first week then I started to spot, have headaches/migraines as well as being very moody/emotional. Spotting lasted for 4 months until I went to the doctor who put me on Levlen ED for 3 months. However I started to bleed again within the 2 months of being on the Pill so I went back to the doctor who gave me another 3 months worth of the same pill. I've got 1 more months worth of being on the Pill so I'm hoping that my periods have settled down."

spider1888 March 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had Implanon for about 2.5 years now. I LOVED it up until 6 months ago. For the first 2 years I had no side effects, not a single period. Suddenly I began having spontaneous and HORRID periods, extreme cramping, bloating, swelling. My OBGYN said that this is being caused by my uterine lining becoming too thin through my years of having the implant. I tried taking 2 weeks of Estrogen then 2 weeks of an antibiotic to help "rebuild" by uterine lining. Nothing helped. I will have the implant removed next week"

berger39 March 27, 2015

For Birth Control "This is my 2nd Implanon, the 1st one I had took a few months for my body to settle had a bit of spotting 5 months then periods completely stopped. I have had acne and blackheads. I have bloating in my stomach. Weight has been stable though."

Shila113 March 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had implanon in now for about 4 months now. I have not gotten pregnant after numerous times of unprotected sex with my husband. I do however spot in between periods and as of recently I've been bleeding excessively to the point where I have to change my pad almost every 2 hours and it's completely full or has overflown. Im also experiencing large clots of blood during my period. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. I have not gained weight of had any changes to my skin. I do feel week from the extreme blood loss and will follow up on it soon."

3 and done (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2015

For Birth Control "Been on Implanon for 5 years for PMS and endometriosis. 5 years of no periods has been fantastic compared to the heavy periods I was having. Just starting to get PMS symptoms back each month - bloating, sick, teary, cravings, cramps. Before Implanon would last 3 weeks out of 4. Now lasting one week. In the last 5 years have piled in the weight.... Just can't lose it."

kez3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I loved it at 1st I was on depo before I switched because I got tired of getting a shot every 12 weeks (3 months) once I got on this birth control everything was fine and then all the sudden I started slowly gaining weight and it wasn't coming off I didn't mind it at 1st because I was so skinny I gained at least 60 pounds and I've been on it for 2 years and 3 months I just got off of it today I'm going to c if I can loose any of this weight it also always made me very hungry all day long. And I've had mood swings more and more from time to time. If I didn't gain any weight i would of loved this birth control so much more"

kariisma March 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on the implanon birth control for almost 12 months have had it in since after my miscarriage in may of 2014. Have not had my period the entire time not even spotting. Lately I've been feeling sick having cramps. Well when I woke up this morning and used the bathroom I realized I was spotting. And had cramps. Spotting came and go and cramps got worse! What could that possibly be from"

kierstinhess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my implanon inserted September 17th 2012. Before that I had a baby June 30th 2012. So im not so sure as to if I have gained weight from this product or from having a baby or even if it's from one or the other and im just overweight. Anyways I had it removed in February this year 2015. I have to say this is a great form of birth control. Never got pregnant on it. That was the whole purpose of having it inserted. The reason I decided to have it extracted is due to possible weight gain, mood swings, no period at all, and I did have a lower sex strive. Since I had it removed my mood swings got better, I have more of a sex strive which I didn't think it was decreasing, and I didn't start my period till after I had my paragard inserted."

Heaven's mommy March 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had Implanon for almost 2 years now and its not that bad really. I've gained 40 pounds and even though I exercise daily. My acne got worse sadly. When I started I had my period for a month straight, now its normal for the most part I get it for 7 days instead of 3 days. My sex drive isn't really that high either which I don't mind but not my boyfriend. Overall I just like the idea of how I don't have to remember to take it or anything."

Diana32 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 22 years old and have had implanon inserted twice. By my 23rd birthday in September, I will be due for the 3rd insert. I first got implanon when I was 16 after failing with the patch and the shot. I spotted for about 2 weeks when I first had it inserted and then I didn't have a period for about a year and returned to normal. The second insert caused me to spot for a few days, and after that I've had light, sporadic periods. I haven't had any unusual weight gain. I met my ex boyfriend right before my 18th birthday and were together until I was 21, having unprotected sex all the time. When we broke up, he ended up impregnating another woman so the birth control worked. I plan to keep getting implanon inserted until I'm ready for a family"

Virgo_s4 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm on my second implant, and although I got on pretty well with the first one I've decided to have this one out early. For the first year or two I wouldn't have any periods at all, which was great, but towards the last year I'd start to have random, then more regular periods. This time, I've started getting bad cramps and heavier periods so I think it's time to try something else. Insertion and removal is fine - you get local anaesthetic, might be a little bruising after and scars but it's nothing to worry about. My biggest cons are that my sex drive went way down, and I gained about 25lbs. All in all it is effective and worth giving a go."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015