User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 937 reviews 224 medications

6.6
Summary of Implanon reviews 937 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Implanon

Review by Kristen2113 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: My experience was very mixed. I have to say it was effective in preventing pregnancy and not having to worry about taking a pill was wonderful. However, I spent one month on my period and sometimes one month off, usually 2-3 weeks off. That's really effective in preventing pregnancy when you're constantly on your period. Oh and the mood swings? Terrible. I couldn't even stand to be around myself. It also killed my sex drive and made me tired all the time. Just a warning to potential users. It's not all peachy and period free! Two months post removal I'm finally starting to feel like myself again.

May 19, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by ELO222:

For Birth Control: Worked the way it should at first, then I had my period every day for months. The doctor told me to "keep waiting" so I dealt with that for so long before I went to a different doctor to get it taken out. It was effective, but I was bleeding every day for 6 months and they didn't want me to take it out. I no longer go to that doctor. Also it cost 600 dollars and I was told my insurance would cover it, it did not. Terrible, frustrating experience. Left 2 dark scars as well.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by Carlee_cecilee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had this inserted for about 7 months. I love it. I have 1 period when it was put in and nothing after but what I hate are the mood swings and I feel kicking in my stomach after multiple test I am not pregnant but the kicking still is present for the time being, it's freaky!

May 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by dgldglddgdg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had mine in since November 2013, it is now May 2014 and I get my period every 4 weeks, for 2 weeks of heavy bleeding, cramping and headaches. It's awful.

May 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by renee12345y799:

For Birth Control: I got it in August 2011 and I never had any serious issues other then irregular periods but now after my 3 years is coming to an end I am in so much discomfort. I have literally been cramping for a week straight, I have no appetite, and I'm also nauseous. The signs I have you would think I was pregnant. I've read from many sites that its common for women to relate their experience to feeling like they are pregnant. Well I find this to be so bad that I will not get it again which is sad because I love it for the last 3 years. Needless to say despite the negatives it does the job and I never had a scare in 3 years it is seriously worry free.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by anne bell:

For Birth Control: My first experience was fine, no bleeding, no pregnancy but when I had a second implant put in place it was a horrible experience. In the beginning I had extremely bad pains and really heavy bleeding I couldn't do anything this carried on for a year with only a couple days break, my mood swings were constant and lost my appetite completely. I was so exhausted by this that I lost 2 stone and became anemic. I went to the Drs and found out that when I get it removed it would take my body about 7 months to go back to normal, although I never got pregnant I don't want to go through this experience again.

May 9, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by nicki253:

For Birth Control: I got the Implanon 3 years ago and have had no side effects from it. Got it taken out today and had the Nexplanon put in the same spot. I am a bit sore from it but it was a much easier procedure then I thought it would be!

May 8, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by Holl's "aka" Anne Oakley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I received Implanon 1-2 years ago. I was cautious at first but went ahead and got it done after my baby girl was born. I have noticed a fluctuation in my weight and my mood, well it fluctuates too. I have only had maybe 5 periods since it was implanted, they were light and only lasted a few days and I haven't had a period in almost a year....in two months it will be a year. I was warned by my doctor that when my period comes.....it can do almost anything, be light, heavy, cramping or none, bloating or none, skip months, shorter or longer periods, periods lasting 1-2 months at a time, stopping and starting of blood flow during a period .....just anything...so be prepared for anything ladies...good luck!

May 7, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by samanthaa23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got mine in October 2013, I was free of periods for the next 2-3 months but since January 2014 I have had constant bleeding, with a stop of just a few days each month. However, it is very light. I wish it would stop.

May 4, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by Me77:

For Birth Control: I love it. I only have to worry about it once every 3 years. I only get my period every 3 to 4 months with minimal cramping although it is a heavy flow. My period only last 4-5 days. I haven't gained weight. I can't think of a single thing "wrong" with it

April 30, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Me123me:

For Birth Control: Bleeding for a year straight. Oh wait the couple weeks I wasn't....I was itchy and dry. But I never got pregnant.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by supermummy:

For Birth Control: Hi. Mother of 5 at 24 and was not planning on having any more kids, so I got the Implanon put in before I got discharged from hospital after the birth of my 5th child. Its only been 3 months and I have gained 4 kilos. Can't seem to manage my appetite and I'm always moody. To top it all off I bleed constantly. I get my period twice in one month. Definitely going to get it removed.

April 24, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Ms Hurt (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Had the Implanon for almost five years, I'm finally going to get it removed. The bleeding has gotten worst. Sometimes I bleed for a whole month and I have picked up so much weight, and these mood swings. I would rather take a chance with a condom or pill and call it a day. I haven't gotten pregnant though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by ashlee93:

For Birth Control: I've had the Implanon since June 2013. Since then no bleeding and cramps were tolerable. The past three days I've been bleeding really heavy and I have no idea what to do.

April 16, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Jaeley:

For Birth Control: Works well. I just hate that my periods are like 4 weeks long and I have mood swings.

April 14, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by knptx (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had severe mood swings while on this medication. My periods were heavy, irregular, my cramps were painful it was truly an awful experience. I had it in for the full three years, and although it did its job of preventing pregnancy, since I've been off it for three months I have never felt better. I lost the 20 pounds I gained on this medicine.

April 12, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Sarhudgins (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I have been taking Implanon since January 2012, the first 2 years it was wonderful. No pregnancy, I actually lost weight, I had a monthly "period" which consisted of minimal cramping and being moody, yet no bleeding. On the 3rd year though, during mid February I started having a period. It is now the beginning of April and I have had 4 periods lasting a week each! I cannot deal with having a period after not having one for over 2 years! I love Implanon but if I'm going to continue having a period every week or two I might consider something else or replacing it earlier than the 3 year mark if possible.

April 10, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by Love Hate Relationship (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I've had Implanon for almost 3 years and had it removed today. I loved this birth control because it completely got rid of my period, and cramps. On the pill, I had awful cramps and would spend days in bed, on Implanon, cramps NEVER bothered me. My only complaint with the Implanon was major weight gain. Over the past three years I've gained quite a bit of weight and this is the only reason I'm moving back to the pill. If you're worried about weight gain, do not use Implanon.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by Sammy L:

For Birth Control: I had the Implanon put in in 2010, my 3 years is up and I'm getting it removed tomorrow, THANK GOD! The only reason I kept it in so long is because I didn't have insurance. I bled 3 weeks out of the month. I am not looking forward to the removal tomorrow either. I think I am going to try a mini pill!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by Tdmrs55:

For Birth Control: I received the implant August of 2013 and I didn't have any problems with it for the first few months then my periods were super long (2-3 weeks some times) and I started gaining weight 6 months later after no diet change or change in exercise I am now 30 pounds heavier and been insecure about my body which is really messing up my sex life. I will try and wait until the year is up but if I continue gaining all this unexplained weight I'm going back on the pill.

April 4, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Ivik (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I got Implanon implanted in November 2013. It is now April 2014. I LOVE this product. The only side effect I had was that I bleed for almost 3 months straight. But now I am having periods less than once a month. It seems like it is going to stop all together. The heavy bleeding to start is normal, your body has to sort out the new hormones. I had been on the pill for about 10 years. I switched because of the effectiveness of this product and I got tired of taking pills. I will get this product again when the 3 years are up.

April 2, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Mazkyz:

For Birth Control: I have been using the Implanon for the past 9 years. I had my first one inserted in 2005, I have not had any huge issues with the Implanon and it has worked tremendously ~ still child free. Some small issues that I have found over the past 9 years is that I will very rarely have my period but when I do it is extremely heavy and can last for upto 1-2 months. I am due to take my 3rd Implanon this month but I am unsure if using another one will lower my chances of conceiving a child when I am ready. Hopefully I will be having a fourth Implanon inserted.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 3:12 AM

Review by Jordan Stewart (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I have had the Implanon since September 2013. So for almost 7 months. First I had Depo. Great. I never bled once. But I couldn't lose weight. I gained 20 lbs. Then I went to pill to try to lose weight. My period was TERRIBLE. So I switched to Implanon. I gave it a 6 because overall it is really good. Haven't got pregnant or lost sex drive. Was able to lose the weight but here in the last two months maybe a little more, I've bled non-stop. Its very light but so annoying. Getting it removed asap.

March 20, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by ShannonThyme:

For Birth Control: I had my Implanon put in February 2011 I only had a period the first month then never had one again. Only thing I didn't like was the pain in my arm. But otherwise it was great it didn't give me any problems and I didn't gain much weight and the sex never changed.

March 18, 2014 12:40 PM

Review by Nickname:

For Birth Control: I had my first round put in in 2010. The first 3 years were good. I hardly ever had a period and when I did it was real light. It was great until I realized I had put on 20lbs in the first 3 years, none of my habits changed I still was active and ate decent. When I went back in to have it renewed I didn't have a period for 3 months then it came for 3 weeks with a vengeance as well as more weight gain and I can't seem to lose it no matter what I do. So needless to say I'll be having this one removed. But it does do it's job I haven't gotten pregnant.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate