User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel

Also known as: Cryselle, Elinest, Lo/Ovral, Lo/Ovral-28, Low-Ogestrel-21, Low-Ogestrel-28, Ogestrel, Ogestrel-28, Ovral, Ovral-28

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel.

Endometriosis 3 reviews 175 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel reviews 75 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel

Review by mura42 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Cryselle was the 4th or 5th pill I tried in my journey to find a birth control that improved my cramps, heavy flow, and regularity without intolerable side effects, which was also covered by my insurance. I've been very happy with it! It has all but eliminated my PMS symptoms and although it didn't have a marked impact at first, my cramps have become less severe and my flow lighter the longer I've been on it. I haven't experienced any negative side effects, either. If anything, my mood seems to be more stable on Cryselle. (I've been on pills that made me crazy!). It's also been effective as birth control.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Mandy12345:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I was on Lo-Ogesteral and was very happy with it but my doctor stopped carrying it and prescribed me Cryselle saying it was the same thing. I've been on it for almost 6 months now and am just as happy as I was with Lo-Ogestral. My period used to be really heavy and lasted a week before I was on birth control. Now it lasts 5 days and is pretty light to moderate depending on which day I'm on in my cycle, never heavy. No break through bleeding, no crying jags, no acne, no weight gain. The only thing that happens to me is the first few days of a new pack I get nauseous after taking the pill. But I get nauseous easily.

August 4, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by YR (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: Today marks the second month I've been on this pill. In the beginning it was fine except that my face was breaking out really bad. I thougth I would deal with that until about a week or so ago I started getting terrible mood swings. I can't stand the person who sits next to me at work I can't stand my boyfriend, my friends anyone. I thought I was just having a bad week until the past two days I couldn't stop crying and would randomly burst out crying in public places! I called my DR and she told me to get off the pill immediately. I will sign back on and let you know how I feel a week from now!

June 10, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by BccaGF:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I switched to Cryselle after a terrible experience starting birth control with Junel. On that, I bled without break for months. So Cryselle seemed like a God-send when the bleeding stopped and I had no spotting between periods. Minimal side effects besides increased acne. My skin was fine before, but I've been on this pill for just under a year now and in recent months have developed horrible, painful cystic acne. I am looking into a new pill now.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Ash1245 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: This is my second month taking Low Ogestrel. Definitely has helped with hormonal acne breakouts.. Still get a pimple every once in a while when I'm stressed and it's around my period. The only thing I'm concerned about is having a brown discharge instead of my period during the placebo week.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Shay_p:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I can't rate this a 10, because nothing works perfectly. But this is the best birth control that I have been on this far. I am 26 years old and I have been on 2 birth control pills previously that had not worked out nearly as well as Cryselle. I developed as I was taking the other birth control pills, many ovarian cysts which led to spotting and constant pain. I also rarely got my period, even while taking the placebo pills. My doctor switched me to this and I regularly get a period now and have little to no pain. For me, this is the best thing that has happened to me.

May 2, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by anonymoussse:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been taking this pill for a month now due to unbalanced hormone levels. I wasn't getting my period (I got it 4 out of the 12 months in a year). My gynecologist made me double up on the pill, so it makes me extremely nauseous at times. I get horrible mood swings and I've been breaking out, not badly though. Today was my 4th day on the sugar pill and I finally got my period. It is very light but I do have minor cramps.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by PG14:

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on this pill for about 5 years after being switched through so many in about a 6 month time frame! Happy to have found this on, my doctors have tried to switch me since the name brand I believe was taken off the market at one point. It's not worth breakthrough bleeding and yeast infections I've experience with other pills. I am about 10-15lbs heavier but I'm in college and my diet sucks. Periods are clockwork, starts in 4th day of sugar pill off by start of new pack....when I'm stressed or not sexually active I have no periods at all. Moodiness has been the worst of it all, mostly around mid-cycle to end. Other than that I refuse to switch!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2014 6:42 PM

Review by Lizzie V.:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I switched to Cryselle two months ago because my periods were very heavy on my old birth control. Since switching to Cryselle, my periods are very light, I have very little cramping, my face has been clearer and I have been headache free. I wish that I had switched sooner.

March 4, 2014 2:20 PM

Review by Emma518:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Endometriosis: I started taking Cryselle almost 9 months ago to treat my endometriosis as well as to act as a birth control. My OB-GYN instructed me to skip the placebos, and as a result I have had virtually no cramping or break through bleeding (common on my last pill). However, as she warned, I developed severe acne. The acne I could deal with, but the emotional side effects I cannot. I have become increasingly moody the longer I have been on Cryselle, especially around the time of my "period". I have also developed strong feelings of anxiety and depression. I had hoped when these symptoms began, that they would lessen over time, but they have just increased in severity.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Stella Spitfire (taken for less than 1 month):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I have a heavy flow to say the least. I get horrible PMS as well and cramping that I believe is just not normal. It almost makes me pass out at times, the pill told me to start it on the Sunday of my period and I did. I'm bleeding so heavy and the cramps are worse.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by AVB!! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I absolutely love this birth control pill, worked great for me. I had no weight gain, I had regular/short period with no cramps! It also helped a lot with my acne, while on the pill, I had no acne and very clear skin, but now that I'm off I wish I was still on the pill just for that reason.

December 11, 2013 2:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I was given this pill as a second option because I felt the other pill I was taking was causing me to gain weight. I notice that with this pill I was not happy. Not with the pill, but my personality drastically changed. I was moody, irritable, emotional and down right a pain to be around. I have stopped taking it a week ago, just to see if my mood would improve, and it has. I would say stay away from this pill if you are under stress, as it will add to that negative side of your life.

November 19, 2013 5:40 AM

Review by ccfLALA:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 25 and began taking Cryselle for birth control. I've had oily skin and moderate acne since puberty. I've been using topical medicines to treat my acne for two years. The first month taking Cryselle, I broke out horribly the week of my period. We're talking the worst pimples I've ever had- the kind that throb when you bend over. The second month, I had no break out. I have not had a single blemish in the past 4 months of taking Cryselle. Mood swings are mild to unnoticeable. Even though there may be lots of ladies with bad experiences with this birth control, don't be afraid to try it. Cryselle has turned out to be very good for me and cleared my skin. Just be patient, give it at least 2 months before quitting.

November 18, 2013 7:51 PM

Review by Ashley2326:

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I am one of the unlucky few who had a severe side effect from this birth control. My legs, knees, hips, and ankles all feel like they're being crushed. My muscles in my legs feel like they're being torn from the skin. The pain is tremendous. I was advised to stop the pill and wait 2 weeks to see if the pain subsides any. Hopefully this doesn't leave any lasting damage. I was only on this pill for 8 days and all of this happened!

November 7, 2013 12:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I have been on this pill for one week, and have had a constant headache. Most severe headache I've even had. Not only that but it makes me feel sick to my stomach as well.

November 4, 2013 8:26 PM

Review by SummerSnowflake:

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: After being on Tri-Nessa for at least a decade with no problems, I was switched from Tri-Nessa to Low Ogestrel because I was experiencing very heavy bleeding during my periods. The Low Ogestrel did fix the heavy bleeding but at a cost. I've been on L.O. for 6 months and have been experiencing depression, mood swings, acne on my chin and pimples on my scalp.At first I attributed these things to the beginning of menopause, but after really thinking about it, it just seemed too coincidental that these things began when I began taking a different pill. This morning I googled "side effects of Low Ogestrel" and am finding pages of stories just like mine. I already have a call into my dr. and will switch pills.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2013 10:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: So I've been taking this pill for two months and right off, I got some bad side affects. I'm always tired and moody. I lose my appetite or I'm just too nauseous to eat. I even have more freckles and got acne, which I didn't have before. The only good that came out of this pill, is I get my period and I lost weight.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by One moody mama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been taking this pill since May. For months now I have been feeling achy and nauseous. Just recently I started having meltdowns at work over nothing. Crying spells. It wasn't until I was about to throw the pamphlet away when I decided to read the side effects. Under Severe allergic reaction it states severe mood swings, depression, loss of appetite. I'm suffering from all of them.

September 5, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I recently just switched to this pill because I kept spotting and having heavy periods on the estrogen pills, but I have to say this pill is working great for me so far. I have little to no periods, the only place I gained weight was in my breasts so that's cool, and my mood has been so stable I barely PMS anymore. The only negative is that I sometimes breakout on my face a little bit before my period, but a few pimples over heavy bleeding and spotting in the past is no problem! Great pill, highly recommend it if you have heavy periods and want a lighter one.

September 4, 2013 1:45 PM

Review by AZ Anonymous:

For Birth Control: In my 20's I used several kinds of birth control, and this had the least side effects, so I stayed on it for about 5 years, then went off birth control and became pregnant. After pregnancy my OBGYN put me back on this birth control (9 years ago, age 28; used various brands based on insurance) and overall I didn't experience any negative side effects. It keeps my period regular (as long as I am consistent with taking my prescription on time each day), and I don't have acne issues. I did gain a few pounds when I went back on it, but that is typical with any birth control. The only thing I have noticed in the last year (age 37 now) is some heavier periods and some cramps I didn't have before, but that may be due to my age. Hope this is useful.

August 27, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by Dolphinessa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I was switched to this medication after being on a birth control that worked wonders for me. My doctor was sure it would help me with some of my skin issues such as eczema. However, it made everything a million times worse! Not only did my skin break out in rashes on my wrist and face, I had pimples all over my body, had horrible morning sickness to the point where I could barely eat anything all day, and it made me extremely moody. I was told that the pill caused my hormones to go out of whack and send me into a state like a pregnant teenager. It was horrible. If they work for you, that's great but they're not for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2013 2:10 PM

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I was terrified of starting birth control due to the horror stories I had heard from other women in the past. I am a small person, and due to this, I had very irregular periods. I would suffer from premenstrual syndrome for weeks on end before my period would actually start. Most times, I would have to take a Progestin supplement to actually get my period. This started happening more and more often and started really affecting my life. I spoke to my doctor and she put me on Cryselle. This has changed my life. It's been 3 and 1/2 months and I have had no side effects, no weight gain and my period is regular/short every month. It's given me the positive change I needed so badly!

July 5, 2013 10:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been taking this for a while, and as a fairly small lady, the side effects can be a little much at times. Sometimes it causes really nasty headaches behind my eyes due to my contact lenses. Also, I tend to get stomach pains that happen at random times throughout my cycle. However, it has kept my cycle very regular, and reduced my period from seven days to four. Great if you have irregular cycles, but the side effects can be a tad overpowering if you're not prepared.

May 3, 2013 8:35 PM

Review by Tiffany63759:

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been taking Cryselle for over a year and I find it the best birth control for me. I've taken several others that made me sick and Cryselle gives me the least side effects. I get moody on and off but that's normal for any woman in general. I've had less cramping and periods are normal. I gained 4 pounds but that's also something that comes with it, just like either losing weight. Overall I like Cryselle!!

April 13, 2013 2:21 PM