Medication Guide App

User Reviews for TriNessa

Learn more about TriNessa.

TriNessa review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for TriNessa to treat Birth Control

Review by Vanessa190:

I took trinessa for 3 month and it was driving me crazy. This was my first time ever taking birth control and my experience was awful! My mood swings was very bad, I had slight depression, emotional problems, I just got married and I didn't want my husband to touch me, and vaginal discharge all the time is was grossing me out! No weight gain and my period was on point! But I will never ever go back to this again!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 8:14 PM

Review by AngelaRGA:

I recently went on Trinessa after being off of birth control for several years. I explained to my doctor that when I took BC pills in the past I always had taken the low dose OrthTricyclen. He prescribed me the normal dose of Trinesaa anyways. Needless to say, I will never take these pills again. I was given a 90 day supply, and the first few days of taking it I was constantly nauseous. Then after about a month I noticed a five pound weight gain (I am a soldier in the US military so I work out five days a week and nothing else could have caused this) which, by the time the prescription had ran out had ballooned up to almost fifteen pounds! After roughly a month I started having horrible mood swings. Never again will I feed myself hormones.

April 25, 2015 5:18 PM

Review by Lydia92:

This was the first birth control I was on. I was on it for 2 years. I didn't have any extremely terrible side effects and the birth control did what it's intended to do, PREVENT BABIES. I did experience increased discharge, extreme lack of sex drive, and extreme fatigue. It didn't make me nauseous or vomit. I recently switched to the Nexplanon and will never go back to the pill!

March 2, 2015 8:26 PM

Review by Jessi9660:

I've been on this for 3, almost 4 years now. It's works wonderful. My acne cleared right up after about 6 months, my period became regular, I stopped getting cramps (I get like a stomach ache now) and I had no negative side effects what so ever. I get 3 months at a time and pay nothing!

February 10, 2015 6:52 PM

Review by Ashes345:

So I started trinessa when I was about 15 due to irregular periods. It worked VERY well for me - a bit rocky at first, but after about 3 months, my periods were regular (I was having them twice a month) and my skin was much clearer. No cramps with little bloating. I got off of the pill due to my doctor being a bit forgetful of refills, and I didn't see a huge change until the every-two-week period came back. I am now back on it and am so thankful for it!!! 10/10 would recommend

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 11:07 PM

Review by VisualEffects (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking this for 3 months now. Cons: I have always worked out 5-6 days a week and still have gained about 8-10lbs since starting this pill. Has caused bloating, loss of sex drive, and quite often nausea. Pros: Skin looks a little better, periods are regulated, and cramps are exceedingly less. But to be honest many of those weren't really much of an issue before, the only one was the cramps and that I just had to make sure to have some Advil or something on hand. So... in the end not a huge fan of this.

January 21, 2015 9:31 AM

Review by sarah679 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Face cleared. Gained 5 pounds. No vomiting for me or irregular mood swings. Also my periods are very very precise. Only bad thing is the super decreased limbo. Just don't care for it anymore it seems

January 20, 2015 7:45 PM

Review by Mid-Twenties Mom:

I had my daughter 2.5 years ago and put off getting back on birth control for a YEAR AND A HALF after she was born because I know the horrors that can come from it. I went to the Dr. for my yearly visit and she suggested I try TriNessa and I've been pretty happy with it. The first few months I had extreme nausea (almost to the point of throwing up - but never did), headaches and slight weight gain(3-4lbs). However, I am happy with it because my skin is basically flawless whereas before I had occasional bad breakouts. I bloat a lot the week before my period but that would happen to me before anyway.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2015 3:42 AM

Review by EERRDD:

I switched to TriNessa after being on a lower estrogen pill for three months. The previous pill caused some irregularity in my periods. TriNessa did regulate my period. But the improvements in my acne on the other pill unraveled a bit. I get acne just like I did before ever going on birth control. Sex drive has decreased slightly but nothing detrimental. No weight gain but I do have one terrible evening of nausea once a month during the week before the placebo pills.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 8:57 AM

Review by * (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My Gyno prescribed me Trinessa since I had been having irregular periods for a while, the pills had no side effects with me & it cleared up my acne pretty well. 10/10 recommend.

December 6, 2014 11:54 PM

I've had been on Trinessa for a year and a few months, ran out and because of insurance issues couldn't get back on it until this month, all together taken it for almost two years. The whole time when I first started and this second time I started taking it again have both been good (and the same) experiences. I have experienced bloating and increased discharge (which both suck a lot), but on the plus side no weight gain, no headaches, no change in my period (it's always been really short except when I used the Depo shot), no change in sex-drive. I have recommended this to a friend.

September 21, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by Vannahpie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took Trinessa for a year and had no negative side effects, but I decided to try a few other birth control pills in an attempt to have a shorter period. Every single one of them left me moody, depressed, and my sex drive was completely non existent. Trinessa is the only birth control I've been able to find that both helps with acne and doesn't destroy my sex drive. However on the last week of active pills my breasts usually feel heavy and sore and I will break out a little more than the rest of the month.

September 16, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by Lynn129:

The pill started great until everytime I take it I want to vomit all the time. Practically, had the experience of a pregnant woman. I gained weight, was expected and had terrible headaches don't go away for hours. Impossible to sleep without wanting to vomit. I've been having emotional problems feeling depressed and crying without reason.

August 14, 2014 3:42 AM

Review by Not Worth The Pain:

I've only been on for a month and a half, but my body has DRASTICALLY changed. The abdominal pain is unbearable, I've missed work multiple times because I'm unable to leave the bathroom. The bloating has been out of control, and besides my normal acid reflux disease, the extra heartburn has me constantly sick - no matter what I eat. The first 1.5 weeks of the pill pack are the worst, I cant eat or sleep, and the migraines are awful. Moody, lack of desire to do anything, which is NOT like me. The only benefit is a bit of a weaker period, but the side-effects are unbearable.

August 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Annon678:

I've been taking Trinessa for about 2 and a half months. The first week upon taking it, I had severe abdominal pain and headaches. I was hungry all the time but, due to the warning that I would have increased cravings, I controlled it rather well. It seemed to get better throughout the month, my face was clearing up, I had energy again, but I still got minor to severe pains on a regular basis. My period came after three days of being on the inactive pills and lasted 4 days. My cramps improved drastically and I was still hormonal, just less. I started back on the pills again and the first day I experienced extreme nausea and vomited. The nausea has continued to follow me for the past weeks, now I am looking into the Nuvaring.

August 6, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by nicole_anddime (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before having my daughter I was on Desogen for 5 yrs, with an amazing experience. It took me two yrs to get pregnant after stopping. Requested the same after baby with little difference. Had to switch 3 months ago for insurance reasons and have been miserable since. I am way more moody (weepy/short fuse), I've gained 5-7 lbs. Terrible bloating the week before my period as well as nausea/vomiting and bad cramps a few days before. Worst symptom: complete destruction of my sex drive. Like... I could really care less. I also started a week early this time for some reason. I am switching back next month and paying the $32 dollars a month until my doctor decides he believes me when I say that one child is enough for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 3:34 AM

Review by Relle (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm almost finished my first pack of Trinessa and the side effects that I've experienced are LOTS of bloating and also vaginal discharge. I've gotten use to the bloating, but the vaginal discharge is annoying and frustrating because I kept thinking it was a yeast infection or something like that and everything I've taken to try to get rid of it has not worked and it was driving me crazy, but after reading some of the reviews for Trinessa, I realized it must be one of the side effects of the pill because it started when I started taking it. The first week I started the pack, I had a lack of appetite, but I've been eating regularly since then. I haven't experienced any weight gain. Overall Trinessa seems to be a decent birth control

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Alysssia:

I've been taking Trinessa for 3 weeks now. I have a little stomach pain sometimes but I guess I can deal with it and it is clearing my face which was something I notice today while looking in the mirror, I was glowing, loved it but I've been bloated and I really don't like looking pregnant when I'm not...but I do hope I'll gain weight just not in my stomach.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 4:12 AM

Review by chemical_kid (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Trinessa for almost 6 months now and I haven't seen many issues with it. When I first started I was a bit moody, but now that side effect seems to have gone away. Also I've had somewhat irregular periods while on the pill. I've had no headaches, weight gain, my skin has cleared up a lot since starting it. I'd definitely recommend it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by cRobiee25 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Tri-Nessa for about a year. But I have had one pretty serious side effect, vaginal discharge. I honestly did not think about it being a side effect when it started. I went to my doctor and they treated it as a yeast infection but nothing helped. My doctor told me I was just one of the few women that had regular discharge. Now that I have been off of Tri-Nessa for only a month, the discharge has stopped. I am now going to try and change medications.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking the pill for my irregular cycle and it has worked but I've noticed I started having headaches, bloating and terrible mood swings. In addition, I've become somewhat lazy and gained a tad bit of weight. I'm about to be on my next set of pills starting tomorrow so I hope it gets better.

June 25, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by lamaslinda (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been taking this birth control for over a year and its probably the best one so far. Its cleared my skin so much, I haven't gained any weight at all, and most importantly the periods are shorter. The bloating is horrible, the cramps don't usually last for more than 1 day. Like every other birth control it has cons, the mood swings and the bloating are pretty much the only ones I've experienced. I would recommend this to a friend.

June 22, 2014 5:36 AM

Review by NotPregnantButEhNotHappy:

I haven't taken any birth control at all for almost two years since having my baby and I was prescribed Trinessa 3 months ago by my midwife. Periods are short and it has cleared up my skin so much which is awesome, however the bloating is terrible. I have always been a thin person and have never had any weight issues but my stomach is so fat and bloated it looks like I'm 2-3 months pregnant. Decreased libido is the other negative side effect that I am experiencing as well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 4:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have only been on this medication for 3 weeks. Already I am an emotional mess. I'm exhausted all the time. Not to mention me and my husband were having sex almost everyday. My first week on it I didn't even want him to touch me. He said I seem detached. We tried I cant even get turned on. No sex drive what so ever. For the sake of my relationship and my sanity I have decided to stop taking it...

April 27, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Sonothappy:

Over 2 months...I've gained 10lbs, awful mood swings, headaches (which I never used to get) and fatigue. I switched to this to help with my spotting but I feel like I'd take the spotting over this any day! Not happy.

March 6, 2014 11:23 PM