User Reviews for TriNessa

Learn more about TriNessa.

TriNessa Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for TriNessa to treat Birth Control

"I'm 22, not sexually active and taking the pill as a form of prevention against ovarian and uteran cancers. I've been on this pill for almost two full cycles. Before the pill, I rarely if ever had acne and prided myself on a clear complexion. Now, my face is a war zone, I have awful acne and acne scaring. It has been emotionally devastating and my confidence has dwindled. Everyone in my life has noticed the drastic change. I feel embarrassed. My dermatologist said it may take 3 or 4 months for my system to regulate. Overall, I haven't had any other side effects, apart from weight gain."

Not sure If I should switch July 6, 2015

"I've been on trinessa for 5 years. Age 17 to 21. My doctor prescribed it for hormonal acne I had. I also use it for birth control and it has worked perfectly. The first two months I had mood swings, which is to be expected when putting hormones into yourself. I went up two cupsizes. I didn't notice it clearing my acne for about 2 or 3 months but it's worth the wait. I do still get cramps but nothing a motion can't fix. My acne is still present occasionally, but that is definitely due to genetics. The pill makes my periods extremely regular and accurate, which is great. I get them the fourth Wednesday of every month always around 10-11am. I would recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2015

"I absolutely hate this birth control. Not only do I get the heaviest periods I've ever gotten in my life (I have to change my super plus tampons every couple of hours the first couple days), it sometimes comes a week early. Also, weight gain, some acne (which I never experienced my whole life) and terrible PMS. Only reason I'm giving it some "stars" is because I didn't get pregnant."

Grey23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2015

"This pill was low cost and extremely helpful for my poor complexion. However, I've gained weight, had daily headaches, and I've felt extremely dizzy after taking it for 4 months. There were benefits, but they did not outweigh the side effects for me."

Texas1253 May 26, 2015

"I began taking Tri- Nessa to clear up my skin. I have never had perfectly clear skin, but before and during my period my skin ( including back and shoulders) would break out horribly. After only a week of the pill, I noticed my skin was very clear. I have never had such amazing skin! During my period I still get a few zits, but not bad enough to wear makeup. My period never starts until the 5th placebo,and has always been short, but I no longer cramp! My mood is stable, and I have gone up a cup size. I am stopping the pill due to a 10 pound, in three month, weight gain. I'm a runner, and have always been able to maintain my weight. I intake 2000 calories, burn a 2400/day and went from 120 to 131 in 3 months."

Swberger (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

"I am 18 now I was on the lowest dose of trinessa for 8 months to regulate my period. I get terrible migraines due to irregular period and they get so bad I end up at the ER so my Doctor put me back on trinessa. I loved it. It gives me my period every month around the same couple days after a few months of starting the pill, my acne was all cleared, and I had 2 migraines In 8 months and no daily headaches like usual. The only cons are that I gained about 5 pounds which isn't so bad all birth control does this but I am also tiny for my age (105 pounds) and I was also a bit moody. But those side affects are a lot better than migraines which are not even bearable. I recommend this birth control. Also my insurance covers the price every month."

Anonymous May 24, 2015

"I was put on Ortho Tri-cyclen for a year then I was forced to switch to Trinessa because insurance didn't cover it. I have been on it 5 months and it has been the same as Ortho. I have had weight gain, which I love. Breast tenderness isn't as bad but they swell three weeks into a pack. Nausea every first week of pack. Cramping sucks. But I get my period every fourth day of placebo. Literally Thursday morning I start and I LOVE it. My periods are decently light. Overall, favorite pill."

Angelenia May 11, 2015

"I'm 20 and this is my first birth control. I got it to control my acne and to prevent pregnancy. The very first day I took it I felt horribly nauseous but thankfully it went away and hasn't come back since. My complaint is the cramping! I basically cramp everyday or every other day. The pain is on the outside "lady bit" region too. So far this is the only side effect for me. My sex drive is the same, still waiting for acne control, and I haven't experienced increased discharge. I'm on my first month and only have been on it for two weeks. So hopefully the cramps stop and my acne calms down."

JustHere2Help May 8, 2015

"I have been on Trinessa for 2 months now and it is my first go at a birth control pill. Overall, I'm fairly happy. The first month was a mess, but now, by the second month, things are MUCH more regular. You really have to give this pill a chance to adapt and jive with your system. My acne is improving, after taking a terrible hit during the first month. I still experience occasional cystic bumps, but they are much better than before I began Trinessa. Trust me, the first month is almost hopeless. But, by the second month things are really looking up! Don't be afraid to try it because of some of the negative reviews, you've got to find out what works with your body!"

Penelope1990 May 5, 2015

"I took trinessa for 3 month and it was driving me crazy. This was my first time ever taking birth control and my experience was awful! My mood swings was very bad, I had slight depression, emotional problems, I just got married and I didn't want my husband to touch me, and vaginal discharge all the time is was grossing me out! No weight gain and my period was on point! But I will never ever go back to this again!"

Vanessa190 April 26, 2015

"I recently went on Trinessa after being off of birth control for several years. I explained to my doctor that when I took BC pills in the past I always had taken the low dose OrthTricyclen. He prescribed me the normal dose of Trinesaa anyways. Needless to say, I will never take these pills again. I was given a 90 day supply, and the first few days of taking it I was constantly nauseous. Then after about a month I noticed a five pound weight gain (I am a soldier in the US military so I work out five days a week and nothing else could have caused this) which, by the time the prescription had ran out had ballooned up to almost fifteen pounds! After roughly a month I started having horrible mood swings. Never again will I feed myself hormones."

AngelaRGA April 25, 2015

"I had to give this medication a 10 because, ultimately, it is extremely effective in the prevention of pregnancy. I started taking this pill when I was 17 and I'm now 21. As a teenager, it was great. No acne and predictable periods. But I gained a LOT of weight (I was usually 109-115 and now I'm 135-140), mostly in my thighs and lower abdomen that would not go away. I also completely lost my libido. It was devastating. I have terrible mood swings and am usually completely incapacitated every first day of my period. I also started to have quite a bit of spotting for the last year and a half. I'm always nauseous, dizzy, tired, achy, and depressed. It also increased my migraines and made them much worse. I do not recommend this."

Gonzaaa March 29, 2015

"This is the only birth control I've ever took and I just started it at the beginning of the month. I don't know if its supposed to get better but I've been so emotional and I've been gaining weight, about 10 pounds in less than a month and I work out and eat healthy I feel bloated and I want to stop taking this. Would not recommend. My acne hasn't even cleared its gotten worse"

Anonymous March 11, 2015

"This was the first birth control I was on. I was on it for 2 years. I didn't have any extremely terrible side effects and the birth control did what it's intended to do, PREVENT BABIES. I did experience increased discharge, extreme lack of sex drive, and extreme fatigue. It didn't make me nauseous or vomit. I recently switched to the Nexplanon and will never go back to the pill!"

Lydia92 March 2, 2015

"I was on trinessa for 4.5 years, originally went on it to control my acne, which it did for the most part, but definitely not 100%, despite having a strict face cleansing routine. It didn't start to clear my skin for at least 2 months, at that time I also increased about two cup sizes which was nice. I had slight moodswings in the first 3 months but I think thats to be expected when going on the pill. Haven't had moodswings since the first 3 months. Im going off of it now because in the past week I have noticed I'm breaking out a lot and i think I've been on this too long for it to keep controlling my acne."

Anonymous February 15, 2015

"I've been on this for 3, almost 4 years now. It's works wonderful. My acne cleared right up after about 6 months, my period became regular, I stopped getting cramps (I get like a stomach ache now) and I had no negative side effects what so ever. I get 3 months at a time and pay nothing!"

Jessi9660 February 10, 2015

"So I started trinessa when I was about 15 due to irregular periods. It worked VERY well for me - a bit rocky at first, but after about 3 months, my periods were regular (I was having them twice a month) and my skin was much clearer. No cramps with little bloating. I got off of the pill due to my doctor being a bit forgetful of refills, and I didn't see a huge change until the every-two-week period came back. I am now back on it and am so thankful for it!!! 10/10 would recommend"

Ashes345 February 8, 2015

"I have been taking this for 3 months now. Cons: I have always worked out 5-6 days a week and still have gained about 8-10lbs since starting this pill. Has caused bloating, loss of sex drive, and quite often nausea. Pros: Skin looks a little better, periods are regulated, and cramps are exceedingly less. But to be honest many of those weren't really much of an issue before, the only one was the cramps and that I just had to make sure to have some Advil or something on hand. So... in the end not a huge fan of this."

VisualEffects (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2015

"Face cleared. Gained 5 pounds. No vomiting for me or irregular mood swings. Also my periods are very very precise. Only bad thing is the super decreased limbo. Just don't care for it anymore it seems"

sarah679 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2015

"I had my daughter 2.5 years ago and put off getting back on birth control for a YEAR AND A HALF after she was born because I know the horrors that can come from it. I went to the Dr. for my yearly visit and she suggested I try TriNessa and I've been pretty happy with it. The first few months I had extreme nausea (almost to the point of throwing up - but never did), headaches and slight weight gain(3-4lbs). However, I am happy with it because my skin is basically flawless whereas before I had occasional bad breakouts. I bloat a lot the week before my period but that would happen to me before anyway."

Mid-Twenties Mom January 4, 2015

"I switched to TriNessa after being on a lower estrogen pill for three months. The previous pill caused some irregularity in my periods. TriNessa did regulate my period. But the improvements in my acne on the other pill unraveled a bit. I get acne just like I did before ever going on birth control. Sex drive has decreased slightly but nothing detrimental. No weight gain but I do have one terrible evening of nausea once a month during the week before the placebo pills."

EERRDD December 31, 2014

"My Gyno prescribed me Trinessa since I had been having irregular periods for a while, the pills had no side effects with me & it cleared up my acne pretty well. 10/10 recommend."

* (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2014

"I've had been on Trinessa for a year and a few months, ran out and because of insurance issues couldn't get back on it until this month, all together taken it for almost two years. The whole time when I first started and this second time I started taking it again have both been good (and the same) experiences. I have experienced bloating and increased discharge (which both suck a lot), but on the plus side no weight gain, no headaches, no change in my period (it's always been really short except when I used the Depo shot), no change in sex-drive. I have recommended this to a friend."

Anonymous September 21, 2014

"I took Trinessa for a year and had no negative side effects, but I decided to try a few other birth control pills in an attempt to have a shorter period. Every single one of them left me moody, depressed, and my sex drive was completely non existent. Trinessa is the only birth control I've been able to find that both helps with acne and doesn't destroy my sex drive. However on the last week of active pills my breasts usually feel heavy and sore and I will break out a little more than the rest of the month."

Vannahpie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2014

"The pill started great until everytime I take it I want to vomit all the time. Practically, had the experience of a pregnant woman. I gained weight, was expected and had terrible headaches don't go away for hours. Impossible to sleep without wanting to vomit. I've been having emotional problems feeling depressed and crying without reason."

Lynn129 August 14, 2014