Medication Guide App

User Reviews for TriNessa

Learn more about TriNessa.

TriNessa review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for TriNessa to treat Birth Control

Review by Sonothappy: User Rating:

Over 2 months...I've gained 10lbs, awful mood swings, headaches (which I never used to get) and fatigue. I switched to this to help with my spotting but I feel like I'd take the spotting over this any day! Not happy.

March 6, 2014 11:23 PM
Review by E.Wiser.694: User Rating:

Never had a problem. Not intended weight gain, and periods seemed to turn out normal and right on time every month.

February 8, 2014 12:48 AM
Review by Lovethisstuff: User Rating:

I've been taking this birth control for a year now and I absolutely love it. Since I started taking I've seen no physical change in my health. It cleared up my skin great!

January 3, 2014 1:03 AM
Review by Angie11: User Rating:

I was on Depo for six yrs and recently switched. So far I love this birth control. My skin is so clear and glowing. I have short periods but mild headaches and mood swings. Overall, I would recommend this to anyone because of the minimal side effects. I love that my weight is under control.

December 28, 2013 4:39 PM
Review by Butterflygirl08 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

So I've been on Tri-Nessa for almost 2 months,and each time i start a new pack i get bad stomach pains and then on week 2 everything is back to normal. Since I've been on it i vomited twice and anytime i eat something my stomach feels empty, even though i ate a lot. My periods have been coming on time and my face is clearing. My only problem is the bad stomach pains.

November 3, 2013 2:11 AM
Review by Lizzie E.: User Rating:

I've been on TriNessa for about two years and I love it. My skin is clear, my periods are usually only 4 days long with no severe cramps, and I haven't had any noticeable side effects like mood swings or weight gain. In fact I've lost almost thirty pounds in recent months through diet and exercise, so losing weight hasn't been an issue either. I've tried so many kinds of bc (the shot, the ring, other pills) and so far this one is my favorite.

October 26, 2013 8:44 PM
Review by marylikestodraw (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about six years before switching to the IUD, which was awful. I got my IUD taken out, and was put on Trinessa. I love it! I loved Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo a lot, and since getting married, money has become more of a priority. It's free with my insurance! Loving it! Physically, my skin has never been more clear, I have less cramps/breast tenderness, and a shorter, lighter period. It's awesome!

October 17, 2013 2:19 PM
Review by JamminC (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on birth control for about 5 years but I had to switch brands due to Yaz being discontinued. I tried another brand at the beginning of the year with no luck. I've been taking Trinessa for 2 months and I has been awful! I haven't gotten pregnant which is a good thing but the side effects are extreme. I have gained about 5 lbs and I am bloated. I have had very bad cramps; they are so bad that my back even hurts. I have always suffered from migraines and they have been controlled but within the last week they have been awful. I am going to see my gyno next week to explore some other options.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 15, 2013 5:25 PM
Review by Jf333: User Rating:

I just started taking TriNessa (I'm on my fourth pill). I'm 21 years old and it's my first time ever taking a birth control pill. So far, I love it! The first couple of days, I experienced a tiny headache. Nothing horrible. I barely even noticed it. I really don't feel any different. So far so good!

October 3, 2013 4:56 AM
Review by ladybug23: User Rating:

I am 23 with two little girls, got on the pill to have a nice sex life without the fear of becoming pregnant. It's been three months and my boyfriend says I have become real moody. I eat all day everyday if I was not on the pill, I would think I was pregnant. I started out 125lbs and so far I'm still 125 pounds. My skin is glowing and the best news of all I'm not pregnant again but at times I get really sad and depressed. This is something I never experienced in life so I'm dealing with it for now.

September 7, 2013 9:46 PM
Review by CCFL95: User Rating:

I've been on this medication for about 3 months and so far have had no negative side effects (with the exception of some fatigue)! My acne is clearing up, it's an effective contraceptive, and, to my surprise, I've actually lost weight. Also, my periods are well regulated and much shorter. I switched from the Depo-Provera shot and have been so happy on this pill since.

August 16, 2013 11:32 AM
Review by Phi Kim (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on Trinessa for a month and so far everything has been great! I have no mood swings and don't get hungry like crazy. I'm eating the same like I normally do. I have not had any bad side effects, only thing is that my breasts have been so sore ever since I started taking it. But other than that, it is working well for me. And it is also clearing up my face! Before I started taking it, I read reviews and freaked out but I gave it a try and it worked wonderful for my body.

August 14, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by xbabyteena (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was on Tri-Nessa for almost 6 months. It did its job on birth control. My acne was almost gone with this medication, and less hormonal during my time of the month. Worked great for me. No abnormal bleeding with this one. The bad effect that happened to me: During the 6 month period, I had gained 25 pounds. I went from 110 to 135lbs. I wasn't like a twig, I was fit. But then after this, I got tired and just ate all the time. I also would get really nauseous from the first 2 weeks. Works well, but the side effects were bad. Everybody is different, but this is what happened to me.

August 5, 2013 5:03 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I've really liked my time on Trinessa. It's done everything my doctor told me it would do. My periods went from 5 days to 4, and I no longer get the debilitating cramps and body aches I used to have for three days every month. You can keep weight gain under control if you exercise when you're taking it since a lot of it is water weight. Might I also say it has done it's job as a contraceptive as well, so I'm quite happy with it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 19, 2013 8:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on Trinessa for 2 months now and I seem to be nauseated all the time! I've noticed that I'm getting mild acne and experience minor fatigue. Thinking about switching.

July 17, 2013 11:58 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

This pill has been better than the last 2 brands I tried. I was on Tri-Sprintec for about a year, which I don't know why I put up with it that long. I wanted to throw up all the time! Second I was on Tri-Previfem which is also supposed to be the same pill, that one was even worse. It left a terrible taste in my mouth and made me gain weight, had even worse nausea and worst of all I acted like a monster! I was so irritated with everything. My doctor decided to have me try TriNessa, which all three of these pills are same as Ortho Tri-Cyclen. This time though, it actually worked. I feel back to myself again. I have been on it about a year. I have had a little weight gain and sometimes slight headaches. But overall I like it.

July 15, 2013 9:44 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on this birth control for about a year. Everything started out great until about 6 months in. I missed about three pills one month and it caused severe nausea. The nausea wouldn't stop even after months of taking my pills regularly. My doctor had to prescribe me with anti nausea medication just so I could make it through the day. I also experienced slight weight gain but nothing major. On a positive note it did regulate my periods and enlarged my breasts.

June 30, 2013 11:41 PM
Review by anonymous143432:

I took this medicine for YEARS and never had a problem. I went off of it about 4 years ago and have only been back on it 2 weeks. I am experiencing a VERY abnormal amount of discharge. It is overwhelming during sexual activity - very not the way it was 3 weeks ago. I'm experiencing a mild and somewhat unpleasant (to me anyway) odor. I am freaking out because I don't remember if this is the way it was before. Definitely not during sexual activity. I'm going to schedule a doctor's appointment but fear my insurance won't pay for anything else but this can't go on like this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 15, 2013 5:19 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I was on the pill for about 8 months. The only side effect I experienced was a low sex drive. Other than that, the pill was effective! I had regular five day periods, no headaches, no nausea, no weight gain, and (thankfully) no mood swings. I am no longer on TriNessa because of the lack of libido (I was on it purely for contraceptive purposes). If it hadn't been for that I would still be on it!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 10, 2013 8:29 PM
Review by Jess1248: User Rating:

I am 18 Years old and was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst just about a little more that 1 month ago so I was put on the birth control for that reason. Week 1: Was on period. Horrible on the 2nd day of taking the pill I threw up all day and had nothing to eat. Week 2: Not as bad as week one though experiencing weight gain from 132.2 to weight 138.8 almost 139lbs Week 3: Started period early noticing a lot of shedding of the hair. Moody boyfriend can see that I am very angry and mean at this point. Week 4: Diet change, feeling a lot better no more sleepiness. 1 Mo.: Doing alot better weight going back down (134.8).

May 21, 2013 1:33 PM
Review by i hate trinessa (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I was on Trinessa for a little under a year. I threw up during the first week of each pack and I was so emotional. I could hardly function both physically and mentally. I don't know how I made it to school and passed during the first week of the pack and I could not make it to work during the first week of each pack. The second week I was just plain exhausted and could not do much either. The doctor kept telling me those symptoms would go away. I finally called up there as one crying angry woman and they finally changed it for me. I feel great and back to normal now.

May 20, 2013 6:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

So doctor recommended Trinessa because my periods have been inconsistent. So I have taken the first 10 pills for the pack and the first 5 days felt great never had any of the side effects. Then I slowly started to notice I would get hot and headaches out of nowhere. Then things got worse I would start crying and getting extremely emotional for no reason. I would feel like I was in a dream with fever, no energy, headache, and cry for hours for no reason. My hormones are all out of control now from just taking the first 10 pills. I wouldn't recommend this pill but then again I'm sure it affects people differently just like any other birth control pill. Just my first experience with the pill (Trinessa) has been terrible.

May 20, 2013 3:12 PM
Review by AnonymousRedd (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I've been on Trinessa for almost 3 years because my period is out of whack, it's the only thing that works. My period comes every 4th week of the month. The first week I started taking it I felt like crap. I had almost every side effect but my doctor told me to keep taking it. It helped with my migraines and cleared up my skin. The only side effects I have now are bad cramps and back aches but other than that.. LOVE IT! DEFINITELY RECOMMEND.

April 28, 2013 4:37 AM
Review by yaybirthcontrol2013 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Been on Trinessa for 8 years for mild acne and birth control. At first it helped with my acne significantly, but it also made me gain 15 lbs (even though I was working out like usual); I feel like the medication decreased my exercise tolerance and motivation. Now that I'm in PA school my acne has returned. Part of the weight gain was in my breasts, but also every where else. It also worsened my PMS symptoms, making me more emotional and irritable. Not fun to feel like you're always in a bitchy mood. Overall, it did its job, helped with my acne (at first), and was cheap, but the weight gain and worsening PMS symptoms were not fun. I recently switched to Implanon because I hate taking daily pills and want something more long-term.

April 14, 2013 5:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've seen a lot of negative reviews so I felt I'd share a good one. Ortho Novum 777 made my hair fall out, mood swings and weight gain. Switched to Trinessa. Hair stopped falling out, lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks, no mood swings, super happy all the time, flawless skin even tho Necon gave me acne but I don't have it naturally. Sex drive is through the roof which my boyfriend loves! No nausea, headaches or any other crazy things. GREAT PILL. You don't know until you try! Also, I'm 20 years old almost 21. Ortho Novum 777 and Lo Loestrin Fe had terrible side effects. Also took Reclipsen (Ortho-cept) for about 3 yrs no problems.

March 18, 2013 6:04 PM