User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"This is my 2nd week on Cymbalta. 1st week 30mg this week 60mg. I feel weak, restless,spacy and hopeful. I have been on many different antidepressant's and things are always great then they turn on me and no longer work. So as I read some of these reviews, I have decided to continue to take and hopefully the miracle will happen to me."

mason0420 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2013

"Cymbalta works but hard when you have to get off it. My insurance will no longer pay for it. It was already expensive enough with insurance. Even though I am being weaned off it with my doctor on board, it ain't pretty. I am having major brain zaps, anxiety. Two more weeks of the weaning off period then my doc is starting me on Effexor. She says its the closest to Cymbalta. We will see."

Catmyst (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2013

"I just started Cymbalta. I feel really optimistic on finally finding an anti-dpressant/pain reliever. I have been diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia. I have had severe pain with these diagnoses. I also have severe depression and anxiety disorder. I havent taken it long enough to be sure that it will work, but so far it has made me feel a lot better. I have been reading posts about Cymbalta working but its so expensive. My doctor told me that if you go to the website for Cymbalta, there is a coupon for a 30 day free trial. Just wanted to share that for those struggling to afford it if it is working for you. Even 30 days free will help, so I just wanted to share that tip for you guys. Keep pushing through! Everything is temporary!"

rubatosis (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far this medicine has been working great for me. Not only for my mild depression but also for my joint pain. I was not aware it was used for this however, told my physician that I was experiencing less joint and muscle pain. This is when he informed me Cymbalta was also used for pain. I cannot afford $50.00 a month. I will have to go back to my other medicine, which is less effective for joint pain but the same for depression."

guigomamma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2013

"I've been on Cymbalta 3.5 months for depression and I am very pleased to report that I feel even better now than I did the first 2.5 months. I had some gastro distress, dizziness, brain fogginess, and fatigue. All of my negative thoughts are gone, except near my menstrual cycle, I can laugh and cry again and am much better equipped to handle the stresses of life. I feel like I am finally back to normal. I'm posting for those of you just getting started on this medication. Give this medication some time, the side effects improve every month and it wasn't until I hit the three month mark that I really felt better."

Happy Camper January 18, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have suffered depression most of my life. Am now 50 and was prescribed Cymbalta after experiencing a debilitating bout of severe depression about 15 months ago. I was unable to function. I had been taking it for about two and a half years previously and decided to ween off it but after 3 months fell into the deep hole mentioned above. I take 60mg at night and sleep well, I have to watch my weight and I experience constipation. I find it hard to cry (better than the alternative right?) and also feel somewhat lethargic but overall it keeps me feeling 'normal'."

Anonymously (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2013

"I'm a 21 year old female and have suffered with depression and horrible thoughts for as long as I can remember. I was started on one medicine, (can't remember what it was), then Zoloft, which did not work, and was recently put on Cymbalta about three weeks ago. My depression had gotten so bad that I was willing to try everything. I was having emotional breakdowns at work, having horrible thoughts, bad dreams, and was withdrawn from everything. My depression is a brain imbalance, rather than caused by other things. Only being about two weeks on Cymbalta, I can already notice a difference. I'm more peppy, I don't think bad thoughts nearly as much, much more patience, haven't cried since I've been put on the medicine. I was a little jittery at first."

hollydev January 13, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm writing this review because I'm absolutely shocked by how quickly I began to feel like myself again. After as little as a week I had an easier time getting out of bed in the morning, I physically felt more energetic, and I had more emotional clarity. My husband is even more delighted in the results than I am. He says I'm more like myself. Even with good insurance this medicine can be pricey. Very few side effects. I felt a little jittery the first couple of days and had trouble sleeping. Those went away when I adjusted the time I took the medicine. I'm just thankful to feel some relief!"

Relieved72 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"First week on Cymbalta and I can report that it is certainly effective. I have severe recurrent depression with some psychotic symptoms, and have been on Lexapro, Prozac, tried natural supplements etc.... Nothing worked too well. I'm also currently taking Wellbutrin and that helps with energy. Still early on, but I can already tell a decrease in suicidal thoughts, delusional rumination and such. Of course it's not without side effects. Dry mouth, nausea, constipation, emotional liability (random laughing and such), dizziness, orthostatic hypotension (lightheadedness upon standing). "

uhhhh January 5, 2013

"Have been on 30mg for one week and 60mg for 2 weeks still no improvement in my depression, have lots of side effects like very spaced out feeling at times, no motivation, low libido. "

paulie 83 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2012

"Cymbalta is a pretty potent antidepressant. After being on high dose Wellbutrin (450mg) with high dose Effexor XR (450mg) I was switched to Cymbalta. Since I'd developed treatment refractory depression, after 3 weeks with no results (and horrible side effects) I asked to be bumped up from 60mg to 90mg. After another 2 weeks, I went to 120mg. This triggered my first hypomanic episode in my 30-something years. Scaled back down to 60mg and what do you know, this time it worked. Give Cymbalta a chance to work, don't rush it. It may take longer than the usual 3 weeks, but when it works, it's worth it."

Anonymous December 15, 2012

"The medicine caused me to have Burning Mouth Syndrome. "

Anonymous December 9, 2012

"Cymbalta saved my life. I have tried dozens of antidepressants, mood stabilizers, you name it. At 19, to treat anxiety, depression and post traumatic stress disorder, I was finally given Cymbalta. I had very few side effects, maybe a few days being a bit dizzy. And then, after a week or so, I realized I wanted to get up in the morning. I no longer regretted having to breathe. A few months in, I no longer needed anxiety medication. I could sleep all night. I was normal and happy. I would not have lived if Cymbalta didn't exist. The only drawback is if for any reason you have to go a few days or longer without it, the withdrawal will be bad."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 7, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It helped me enough to write my feelings and experiences down, there were days when I was so down I couldn't eat or sleep and was just wondering around in a daze so Cymbalta definitely helped me. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2012

"Never found it to help with my chronic pain (due to a variety of pain issues); although, it does seem to keep my depression under control now @ 60 MG per day, without any side effects after 5+ yrs."

efloyd105 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 21, 2012

"This is wonderful. I suffered from generalized anxiety for two and a half years. Eventually I slipped into severe depression, probably resulting from the chronic anxiety I was dealing with for so long. I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for a little over a month and I feel better than I ever have before. Before Cymbalta, I was on Paxil and Lexapro, which both did more harm than good. On Cymbalta I finally feel normal and my sleep has improved so much. I was a chronic insomniac and now I can usually sleep whenever I feel like it. I am so lucky that my psychiatrist decided to try me on this medicine. I would recommend trying this medicine to anyone suffering from anxiety & depression."

Lexilla (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2012

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Cymbalta for 10 weeks now. I started at 30 then went to 60. I was feeling wonderful, less negative, less worried, it was great. However the last 10 days or so I have started clenching my teeth, severe nausea, horrible dreams, weight gain and dizziness. I don't want to go back to the way I was feeling before, however I can't continue feeling this way either!"

Anonymous November 15, 2012

"Cymbalta helped with my depression, but caused me to gain a lot of weight."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2012

"I LOVED Cymbalta, I felt wonderful, no aches and pains, no depression, I had my life back. I was paying $90 for a 3 month supply... THEN it happened, my co-pay went to $1000 for a 3 month supply! I want to cry, I obviously can't afford that so I got switched to Venlafaxine, I now have a constant slight headache and it makes me nauseous, my anxiety is back. Dr. switched me to Prozac yesterday, we shall see but what I would not give to have my Cymbalta back."

Ridodami4 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2012

"Cymbalta after being treated with Lexapro, most recently and four other antidepressants and enhancers, has FINALLY relieved me of depression and suicidal thoughts after seven years of being treated and hospitalized at one point. With all my heart I can say this little capsule has definitely saved and improved my life 100%. It's nothing short of a miracle to me."

Chas. October 10, 2012

"Went nearly mad on this antidepressant, clenched my teeth, constant sweats. Terrible and always tired on it. Doctor just kept upping the dosage. Was on 120mg when I complained, changed doctor and am now coming off Cymbalta. Now have dreadful dizziness and brain zaps but anything is better than what I was going through. "

annie irish (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2012

"I'm 21. Cymbalta works really well with depression. It made me happy. So happy I could lose my mind in myself and forget to do anything but eat and think. That's why I'm giving it a 5. When I started taking it I lost about 4lbs.... Then... Tada! I gained 14lbs in 2 weeks. I got off the medicine right after this. I'm not going to gain all my weight back to make myself more depressed in the future. Watch out for this one if you're watching what you eat. I've lost 7 of the 14, so at least I have that. But I'm upset by the gain. I was on it for a month."

Kitten_babygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2012

"I'm a person who suffers from bipolar or (manic depression). Before I found out what my diagnosis I had a really low self esteem I would be consistently having break downs and panic attacks but now Cymbalta has stabilized my mood a lot better then it was. I've been on it for 2 1/2 yrs and yeah they'll be times where I have a breakdown or panic attacks once in awhile but they are not so constant. I also hear voices in my head and thats the only thing that Cymbalta doesn't take away is the voices."

encinimartini (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2012

"Three months on Cymbalta now and doing ok. I posted before that I started out on a very small dose and over 6 weeks got it up to 30 mg. I felt better than I ever had in my life! Then I tried to get it up further but suffered from horrible constipation and gas. Took me a while to know why, but now I am going back to 30 because I think that might be the right dose for me. It's all a bit experimental, but I do know that I couldn't bear to feel like I did before with no medicines. Just so anxious all the time for no reason, had to stop doing a lot of things in life, altogether so much less than I could be. Still grateful for this medicine."

Drongo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2012

"It's an okay medicine for depression, but I've had times where I'd miss one day of Cymbalta and immediately feel withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, nausea, headache, etc...) The only other medicine I've ever had this happen with is Effexor. I hate that I have to make sure that I have to take this at the right time of day, because even being late by like 6 hours, I feel the withdrawal symptoms kicking in."

Mollz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2012