Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Cymbalta is a pretty potent antidepressant. After being on high dose Wellbutrin (450mg) with high dose Effexor XR (450mg) I was switched to Cymbalta. Since I'd developed treatment refractory depression, after 3 weeks with no results (and horrible side effects) I asked to be bumped up from 60mg to 90mg. After another 2 weeks, I went to 120mg. This triggered my first hypomanic episode in my 30-something years. Scaled back down to 60mg and what do you know, this time it worked. Give Cymbalta a chance to work, don't rush it. It may take longer than the usual 3 weeks, but when it works, it's worth it.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2012 12:54 PM

The medicine caused me to have Burning Mouth Syndrome.

December 9, 2012 3:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Cymbalta saved my life. I have tried dozens of antidepressants, mood stabilizers, you name it. At 19, to treat anxiety, depression and post traumatic stress disorder, I was finally given Cymbalta. I had very few side effects, maybe a few days being a bit dizzy. And then, after a week or so, I realized I wanted to get up in the morning. I no longer regretted having to breathe. A few months in, I no longer needed anxiety medication. I could sleep all night. I was normal and happy. I would not have lived if Cymbalta didn't exist. The only drawback is if for any reason you have to go a few days or longer without it, the withdrawal will be bad.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2012 10:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It helped me enough to write my feelings and experiences down, there were days when I was so down I couldn't eat or sleep and was just wondering around in a daze so Cymbalta definitely helped me.

November 26, 2012 1:07 PM

Review by efloyd105 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Never found it to help with my chronic pain (due to a variety of pain issues); although, it does seem to keep my depression under control now @ 60 MG per day, without any side effects after 5+ yrs.

November 21, 2012 9:55 AM

Review by Lexilla (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is wonderful. I suffered from generalized anxiety for two and a half years. Eventually I slipped into severe depression, probably resulting from the chronic anxiety I was dealing with for so long. I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for a little over a month and I feel better than I ever have before. Before Cymbalta, I was on Paxil and Lexapro, which both did more harm than good. On Cymbalta I finally feel normal and my sleep has improved so much. I was a chronic insomniac and now I can usually sleep whenever I feel like it. I am so lucky that my psychiatrist decided to try me on this medicine. I would recommend trying this medicine to anyone suffering from anxiety & depression.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2012 3:36 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for 10 weeks now. I started at 30 then went to 60. I was feeling wonderful, less negative, less worried, it was great. However the last 10 days or so I have started clenching my teeth, severe nausea, horrible dreams, weight gain and dizziness. I don't want to go back to the way I was feeling before, however I can't continue feeling this way either!

November 15, 2012 3:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Cymbalta helped with my depression, but caused me to gain a lot of weight.

November 8, 2012 12:28 PM

Review by Ridodami4 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I LOVED Cymbalta, I felt wonderful, no aches and pains, no depression, I had my life back. I was paying $90 for a 3 month supply... THEN it happened, my co-pay went to $1000 for a 3 month supply! I want to cry, I obviously can't afford that so I got switched to Venlafaxine, I now have a constant slight headache and it makes me nauseous, my anxiety is back. Dr. switched me to Prozac yesterday, we shall see but what I would not give to have my Cymbalta back.

October 16, 2012 4:11 PM

Review by Chas.:

Cymbalta after being treated with Lexapro, most recently and four other antidepressants and enhancers, has FINALLY relieved me of depression and suicidal thoughts after seven years of being treated and hospitalized at one point. With all my heart I can say this little capsule has definitely saved and improved my life 100%. It's nothing short of a miracle to me.

October 10, 2012 7:04 AM

Review by annie irish (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Went nearly mad on this antidepressant, clenched my teeth, constant sweats. Terrible and always tired on it. Doctor just kept upping the dosage. Was on 120mg when I complained, changed doctor and am now coming off Cymbalta. Now have dreadful dizziness and brain zaps but anything is better than what I was going through.

October 9, 2012 5:49 PM

Review by Kitten_babygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 21. Cymbalta works really well with depression. It made me happy. So happy I could lose my mind in myself and forget to do anything but eat and think. That's why I'm giving it a 5. When I started taking it I lost about 4lbs.... Then... Tada! I gained 14lbs in 2 weeks. I got off the medicine right after this. I'm not going to gain all my weight back to make myself more depressed in the future. Watch out for this one if you're watching what you eat. I've lost 7 of the 14, so at least I have that. But I'm upset by the gain. I was on it for a month.

October 8, 2012 5:47 AM

Review by encinimartini (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a person who suffers from bipolar or (manic depression). Before I found out what my diagnosis I had a really low self esteem I would be consistently having break downs and panic attacks but now Cymbalta has stabilized my mood a lot better then it was. I've been on it for 2 1/2 yrs and yeah they'll be times where I have a breakdown or panic attacks once in awhile but they are not so constant. I also hear voices in my head and thats the only thing that Cymbalta doesn't take away is the voices.

September 25, 2012 6:09 AM

Review by Drongo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Three months on Cymbalta now and doing ok. I posted before that I started out on a very small dose and over 6 weeks got it up to 30 mg. I felt better than I ever had in my life! Then I tried to get it up further but suffered from horrible constipation and gas. Took me a while to know why, but now I am going back to 30 because I think that might be the right dose for me. It's all a bit experimental, but I do know that I couldn't bear to feel like I did before with no medicines. Just so anxious all the time for no reason, had to stop doing a lot of things in life, altogether so much less than I could be. Still grateful for this medicine.

August 30, 2012 8:19 PM

Review by Mollz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It's an okay medicine for depression, but I've had times where I'd miss one day of Cymbalta and immediately feel withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, nausea, headache, etc...) The only other medicine I've ever had this happen with is Effexor. I hate that I have to make sure that I have to take this at the right time of day, because even being late by like 6 hours, I feel the withdrawal symptoms kicking in.

August 27, 2012 1:13 AM

Review by jamiebaby (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffer from major depression so the doctor gave me Cymbalta. The first days I was completely out of it. Didn't know what was going on so I quit taking it for a day and I went back to normal. The next day I tried again to give it time, well I have no memory of two days because I was so out of it and blacked out. I woke up in the hospital swollen up like crazy they told me I overdosed from the depression medicines but I only took 4, 1 pill a day.

August 17, 2012 11:42 PM

Review by happyagain003 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had been abusing Vicodin for 10 years! Stopped and it threw me into an AWFUL depression. My doctor put me on 60mg of Cymbalta. It took me a full month BUT the change was nothing less then AMAZING. It was as if a light went off and BAM I woke up one day and was ME again. For me this was a life saver medication. Been on this medicine for 42 days now.

August 8, 2012 1:29 PM

Review by KDBadger (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was in a major depression: I had considerable lethargy, anxiety, weight loss, racing thoughts that I could not seem to turn off and I felt suicidal. I couldn't make the smallest of decisions. I was terrified to drive and I've been driving for over 30 years! I also had great difficulty performing even the simplest of tasks- some things I could not do at all! After about a month I noticed tremendous relief. It was like a huge cloud had been lifted and that I had been pulled out of a 'huge hole'! I definitely feel Cymbalta saved MY life.

July 28, 2012 11:09 PM

Review by sallykt (taken for less than 1 month):

Did not help depression. Caused immediate aggressive and angry feelings and behavior.

July 21, 2012 6:12 PM

Review by twosnappy4u (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed Cymbalta 60mg a day I take it in the evening to help with stress & depression. The side effects of dry mouth & loss of appetite only lasted about a week and a half then subsided away. My depression has been improving but I must say a big benefit for me also has been my back pain, that has had me almost crippling at times, is about non existent, which I realized must be from the Cymbalta. Anyway so far so good.

June 21, 2012 9:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking Cymbalta for the past 5 days and have noticed a significant change in my personality. My children told me that I am way cooler on my medication. I have not felt like this EVER. Cymbalta is better than Prozac, Paxil, and Depakote, for sure. Prozac made me more anxious and depressed, Paxil made me angry, and Depakote made me lethargic. I must say that I don't particularly like the side effects of Cymbalta, but this medication makes me feel like a human being, instead of an irritable, depressed, worried mess.

June 20, 2012 11:35 AM

Review by ncpd25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I suffer from depression and also have Type 1 diabetes. I wanted to try this medication and quickly noticed a difference in mild pain in my legs. I take good care of my my diabetes, have had it for 25 years and have been in a nationwide study for 24 years. As for depression, the Cymbalta seems to do nothing for me. I started on 60mgs, then increased to 90 and then 120mgs with no improvement ever since taking it. I'd like to stay on a lower dosage of it for my mild leg pain but, desperately need something for the depression.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 9:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Only on my 3rd day of taking Cymbalta and the side effects are severely affecting me. I haven't been able to eat due to the nausea and my head feels as if I have taken an illicit drug. My pupils are dilated to the point where I can't look anyone in the eye.

May 29, 2012 7:31 PM

Switched onto Cymbalta after many years on Lexapro (which became ineffective). Gradually increased to 60mg/ day, taken in the morning. Initial side effects were tolerable, (sleepy, spaced-out) but as a student I need to be awake and focused. My MD suggested taking the medicine prior to bedtime- it definitely helped! Now I am able to wake up and function properly everyday without the frustrating aspects of depression!

April 25, 2012 1:39 AM

Review by Danny in Green Bay:

First of all, I was prescribed to Cymbalta/Buspar at the same time to treat my depression/anxiety, respectively, and I can say that I experienced absolutely no side effects from the Cymbalta and I seem to "care" slightly more about other people not just myself. I've been taking Cymbalta for 4 weeks now and am unsure if I've experienced the full effect of what it should be doing for me

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate