User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 4)

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"Have been on a cocktail of Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Cymbalta for several years for both depression, anxiety, and chronic back pain with GREAT success. Just recently I started to notice I was becoming very short tempered, easily aggravated, and irritable. My Psych gave me .5 mg of Ativan, but also decided to wean me off my Cymbalta 60 mg. The Ativan helped me immensely. Unfortunately,within 2 weeks without my Cymbalta my depression returned, I was sleeping all the time, and worst of all I felt like I could eat everything in the kitchen and still be hungry! Gained weight so quickly,and had no ambition whatsoever. I am now on my 3rd week back on Cymbalta and feeling almost back to normal thankfully! When you find what works for you, stick with it!"

MRSDJMCW (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've tried about 15 to 20 different antidepressants in the last 21 years. Nothing has really helped, or it would help for awhile then stop working. Cymbalta is only the second medication that is not only a SSRI but works with the dopamine in your body, that I've tried. First was Pristiq and that affected me so badly I wouldn't shower for a week. I didn't want to do anything. Now with the Cymbalta I'm more energetic and less hungry and feel much better! So far it's working out wonderfully."

realsis (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on this medication earlier this year and had to stop it because of cost and insurance. I have since been approved for medical assistance and my doctor has once again prescribed cymbalta for my anxiety and depression. I had no side effects like I did with just about every other antidepressant under the sun. This has saved my life."

Anonymous October 28, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried most antidepressants, and I was ready to give up. I was tired of trying antidepressants, getting sick while I waited for the positives, only to find out it didn't really help. I've tried Prozac, Paxil (good but stopped working for me), Zoloft (allergic to it), Effexor, Citalopram (worst of all). I don't know what made me ask my doctor for Cymbalta, but I did. It started working the second day I took it! I have been slowly recovering from depression and getting my life back. I hope the same for the people who read this. Never give up hope!"

Johnnie3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2014

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"EXCELLENT results. Effexor became non-effective after many years of use and another life impacting event. Was recently severely depressed and suicidal for about 2 years. Found Cymbalta 2 years ago and it CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I think this medication is FANTASTIC. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder (dual diagnosed) This condition has been with me for many years (runs in the family i.e. mother was severely depressed). Cymbalta 120mg per day snapped me out of it. Under doctor's orders I discontinued current SSRI at the time and started right up with Cymbalta 120mg/day. Within 7-10 days I was out of my depressed state. It has to be the norepinephrine aspect that made the difference."

wfelici (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2014

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Cymbalta about one month ago. Initially the dose was 30mg for 2 weeks and 60mg following. I cannot believe how well this has helped me. I suffered with depression and severe anxiety. I will continue this medication as I understand full benefit may not be reached for several months. Overall I am extremely satisfied with Cymbalta. My only side effects are constipation and decreased appetite which I have resolved with Miralax and eating small meals more often. I also realized the increased taste of salt during my meals which has seemed to decrease more each day."

mommagedden6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2014

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm suffering from Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD and PSTD. With the exception of feeling a little sick after taking it, Cymbalta had helped me after only a few days. I've tried Effexor, Zoloft, Paxil, Pristique, Prozac, Ciraplex, Seroquel, Trazodone, Amitriptyline and a few more I cant remember the names. I think everyone responds different to medications and all you can do is keep trying and not give up. My mental illness has had a negative impact on my life and ruined many personal relationships too. I have never had any medication work this fast or so well before."

annalee66 (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2014

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took this for depression and chronic back pain. This was an extreme appetite suppressant for me. It worked somewhat for depression, but nothing fabulous. It mostly made me very, very sleepy and physically exhausted."

OLou (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had mild anxiety and intermittent depression. I always pushed through and never thought of medicines. My girlfriend suggested I speak to a psych and I started Cymbalta. In 10 days I had no more intrusive thoughts talking me down, making me stressed, guilty. After 9 weeks, I'm a new man. Small things don't worry me, I am patient and calm driving, I don't wake up for toilet then stay awake worrying, my relationship is closer, I'm nicer to be with. Cons? My libido decreased and climax is harder to achieve (but more intense). The medicine felt strange (out-of-body) at first but I got used to that. I drink more water, I yawn in the afternoons, I grind my jaw a bit, get breathless, mild headaches some days. But my life is much better with this medicine."

Much better now April 30, 2014

238 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg's for several months now. I am more relaxed and my depression is not as bad, however, I do still have down moments. I too have noticed that I have the dry mouth, yawning, not sleeping sound every night have experienced upper, underneath my ribs on my right side pain. My joints hurt in my knees. "

QueenbeeG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2014

"After 2 weeks (60mg/day) I am pleased with this. I had constant dysthymia, black periods lasting a few days, breaking into tears for no reason, not coping, couldn't see a way out, hopelessness. I couldn't tell my partner everything: she needs me to be strong. She knew anyway. The medicine leveled it all out. Only 2 weeks but the depression is gone. I even felt briefly euphoric today. I am easier to be around. Calmer. Negatives: a strange dissociative feeling, sort of out-of-body, as if hearing myself talk slowly, dizziness, an itchy rash on my hand, dry mouth, general tiredness, lethargy in bed in the mornings, no erectile problems, but problem reaching orgasm. If these moderate in time, then my 7/10 score will increase."

My nickname is taken March 24, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Cymbalta literally saved my life. After going through 6 psychiatrists and countless other antidepressant attempts, this is the one that finally worked. I promise that if you hold on and keep fighting something will work for you and you can heal. Depression is never permanant."

Clare Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2014

210 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Cymbalta and I noticed a difference immediately! I felt more relaxed and happy in general. I take Lamictal for Bi-Polar disorder and after finding that medicine alone not being enough, my dr prescribed Cymbalta. I've been in a pleasant mood with my family, friends and at work. Not stressing out about leaving the house or having a busy schedule and getting anxiety about it. It has also helped with my lower back pain I have been dealing with the last 3yrs. It's only been 2 weeks and the only thing I can say is, I seem to yawn a lot and have less of an appetite. If it messes with my sex drive and lowers it... I'm off it."

dani197701 February 18, 2014

"I was previously on Lexapro, but it made me tired and unmotivated. I switched to Cymbalta one week ago and it's already working! I'm only on 30 mg but my doc may want me on a higher dose depending on how I feel after a couple weeks."

liberty69 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a healthcare provider who specializes in Emergency Medicine. I had my 1st surgery 2 1/2 years ago lower Colon. 2nd surgery for entrapped Pudendal Nerve, and am still healing. Was started on Cympalta and Lyrica. Stopped Lyrica. Had severe mood swings, couldn't concentrate, severe depression with daily suicidal thoughts. 20 lb weight gain. I have not treated patients for over a year because of my symptoms. After stopping cold turkey against doctors advise I have a clear head, memory has improved and best of all suicidal thoughts are gone. I now feel safe enough to return to work and help save lives without fear of making a mistake or wrong decision that could harm others. The nerve pain is still there, but better than side effects."

Longboard February 8, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took this for seasonal depression and after a couple days my mood was a lot better. After a couple of days I actually felt what I thought was euphoria until it leveled out to normal."

SAD James January 20, 2014

"I am extremely sensitive to medications and any chemical. I get headaches from the chlorine in tap water. I was afraid to take even the lowest dose of Cymbalta, but I swear I felt happier, more talkative, and much less obsessive and less negative within the first day of taking it. By the third day I noticed that I got a little tired about 1-2 hours after taking it, but I was still pleasant to be around and nice to others. I think this is also helping with some pain I've had from a shoulder injury a while back, so that's good too. My mother also takes this for fibromyalgia and she loves it. Good luck!"

Steph7145 December 24, 2013

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried it with the highest hopes for depression but it was awful. I am also on Ritalin for ADHD. I thought things were improving after the initial fist few weeks but pretty much in bed for a week whenever my dose was increased. So 30mg then 60mg then 90mg. I was quite suicidal at times and for the first time in a year I stayed home instead of going to work because I couldn't face people. I hid in my cocoon and fought bitterly with my partner while my parenting skills for our two year old daughter became more lax. "

N-git December 5, 2013

"I was on cymbalta 60mg for 18 months. I've been on many different antidepressants throughout the years. My issue is not when you take it but when you go off. Please do not take this medicine. I've gone through hell the last 12 days getting this drug out of my system. Google cymbalta withdrawal or cymbalta discontinuation syndrome to learn more."

JMsr November 5, 2013

"Changed from effexor to Cymbalta for secondary reasons other than its intended use and it works wonders."

richirfirefly (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2013

"Taking it for both fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder. Works great for me!! I no longer have insurance so I get it thru the drug company."

smonroe October 27, 2013

"I have been taking different medicines for depression for the last 20 years. I have tried almost everything and Wellbutrin is the only thing that has even helped me. I have noticed only a very minor improvement but it is better than no improvement. I was advised to take Cymbalta with it. Even with my insurance, it still costs me $50 a month! I tried it for 3 months with no noticeable change. I can't afford to waste money on something that may or may not work. I figured for that much money, this drug should be very good. At least the Wellbutrin only costs me $10 a month and I do get some noticeable help from it."

Willy G October 21, 2013

"I don't feel like this made too much of a difference and was prescribed to replace Zoloft which I believe was better but made me gain a lot of weight. Getting off of Cymbalta was very hard, although I followed my doctors instructions and decreased very gradually, by the end I had to start taking motion sickness pills due to the dizziness and nausea I experienced from the withdrawals. I also experienced headaches and felt like my eyes would cross every time I took a step. Getting onto it was super easy, I went from 60mg-120mg pretty quickly, and I lowered it from 120-90-60-30 over the course of about 2 months and still dealt with these withdrawal effects. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 8, 2013

"I love Cymbalta! I take it with 150mg of Wellbutrin XL. I am on 30mg at this time and in another week my Dr. wants me to up it to 60mg. I finally feel happy and have lots of energy. Combined with the Wellbutrin I have not gained any weight. Life is finally good again."

tlw2930 (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I cried everyday for three months due to uncontrollable pain from rheumatoid arthritis. I was also suffering from severe depression as a result. The first time I took Cymbalta,, 30 mg, I noticed I no longer felt defeated and felt for the first time since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that the pain was at times manageable. It helped give me hope. It's been almost three months since I started Cymbalta and it is still working well. I'm super thankful my doctor recommended it."

lisalevidaisybob September 6, 2013