User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Only on my 3rd day of taking Cymbalta and the side effects are severely affecting me. I haven't been able to eat due to the nausea and my head feels as if I have taken an illicit drug. My pupils are dilated to the point where I can't look anyone in the eye.

May 29, 2012 7:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Switched onto Cymbalta after many years on Lexapro (which became ineffective). Gradually increased to 60mg/ day, taken in the morning. Initial side effects were tolerable, (sleepy, spaced-out) but as a student I need to be awake and focused. My MD suggested taking the medicine prior to bedtime- it definitely helped! Now I am able to wake up and function properly everyday without the frustrating aspects of depression!

April 25, 2012 1:39 AM
Review by Danny in Green Bay: User Rating:

First of all, I was prescribed to Cymbalta/Buspar at the same time to treat my depression/anxiety, respectively, and I can say that I experienced absolutely no side effects from the Cymbalta and I seem to "care" slightly more about other people not just myself. I've been taking Cymbalta for 4 weeks now and am unsure if I've experienced the full effect of what it should be doing for me

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2012 1:20 AM
Review by MPP: User Rating:

I have been using Cymbalta for the last 5 years I started at 30 for a month, then 60 mgr and finally 120mg because I was under treatment for Severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder where initially I started with Efexor XR 250mg very bad medicine for people with high blood pressure (made me sweat like crazy and I have up\down mood issues and increased the feeling of hunger). Then the doctor put on Paxil.. even worse During last year I tried to leave Cymbalta for good, but it did not work, I started feeling very anxious, upset, very depressed and electrical shocks feeling in my head nausea... I went back to my doctor and from 30 mg I went back to 60mg.

March 11, 2012 11:48 PM
Review by Hwkm: User Rating:

This medicine worked well for first 5 months, but has since stopped working. I have also put on 20 lbs in the past 4 months and I am very tired . I am about to go off of the medication, but I am very nervous about side effects.

March 10, 2012 5:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Started while weaning off Prozac. When begun, headaches in center front of head; lasted less than a week. Return of sex drive. Return of motivation.

March 7, 2012 9:47 AM
Review by Megster: User Rating:

For anyone suffering from depression I cannot tell you how much this medication has changed my life. I had been suffering with depression and anxiety for years, severe depression started a year ago when I lost my father, I had Been taking Zoloft 100 mg for about 5 years, worked great for the anxiety but did nothing for my depression. My doctor added Wellbutrin 100 mg to my Zoloft, the Wellbutrin was awful, gave me kind of an agitated energy and no help with the depression. I'm on day 3 with Cymbalta, weaning off Zoloft, so 50mg Zoloft a day with 30 mg Cymbalta. Before I started taking Cymbalta I was to the point of just wanting to go to sleep and never wake up. Cymbalta has given me back my life! I only wish I had known about it sooner!

March 1, 2012 12:45 AM
Review by goooooooch: User Rating:

I thought this was a miracle medicine; I never felt better in my whole life-for 3 months, and then it stopped working. 2 other people who told me they were on this said the same thing.

February 26, 2012 10:38 PM
Review by 67sammy: User Rating:

I have been taking Cymbalta for depression and have been on it for almost a month. I have noticed a change in my mood. I am starting to feel better about everything. I don't feel like I'm walking around in a fog anymore. I felt really tired for the first couple of days and mostly slept, but now I'm feeling much better. I haven't felt any other side effects. I have taken other medications for depression, Paxil, Celexa and Effexor. Paxil and Effexor didn't work for me at all and the Celexa worked for about a year and then, didn't work at all. I hope that Cymbalta will keep working for me, because I don't want to change medicines again. Cymbalta is working for me already and I hope things will become even better the longer I'm taking it.

February 20, 2012 8:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Leveled out my moods, but very constipating and I still have no energy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 16, 2012 9:43 AM
Review by black dog gone: User Rating:

I started taking Cymbalta after my doctor prescribed 2 other medicines over the space of 8 months, they made me feel worse not better. I was so ill I was hospitalised at one stage. It took Cymbalta quite a while- about 2 months, to kick in noticably, however my depression was severe. The nausea was awful the first two weeks and dizziness lasted about a week with me. I am pretty sensitive to medications however. I have been on Cymbalta for almost two years- at a high dose (90mgs). I do find I am hot and sweaty (at times), I need a lot of sleep and have put on weight, (though HRT could have caused this). However these side-effects are a small price to pay to live a normal life and be free.

February 8, 2012 7:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

It really helped me and did wonders on my depression that I've dealt with since high school and I am now 26 years old and it also helped with my panic attacks. However the side effects for me are I have put on 35 lbs in less than two years and I am extremely fatigue almost 24/7 and get irritated easily. Actually going back to the doctor next month and my husband told me to suggest something else and as much as it does help of course the weight gain and irritation sucks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 26, 2012 12:23 AM
Review by WPBChristine: User Rating:

Cymbalta is a miracle. Prescribed for depression and anxiety and saw results within 24 hours (yes, unusual). A smile was glued to my face the next day with colleagues asking why I was so happy. Side effects were mild and disappeared quickly. Been on for 6 months now. My lower back pain is gone (suffered for 14 months while seeing doctors) and my PMS symptoms and cramps are non-existent. I used to cry at the drop of the hat, bite the head off of my husband, and get easily irritated and agitated at everyone and everything. My husband claims that I've never been nicer. I thank my doctor for having the foresight to suggest it to me.

January 11, 2012 1:27 PM
Review by MicheleCooper68: User Rating:

I have been on Cymbalta for 4 months. I have had a multitude of side-effects with this medication including irritability, moodiness, respiratory problems, gastrointestinal bleeding (just to name a few).

December 21, 2011 3:51 AM
Review by Baby C: User Rating:

I suffer from major depression and was placed on Cymbalta 6 yrs ago. I took myself off against my doctor's advice. Life became hopeless and all I though about was wanting to die. Now I've been back on it for 18 days and I'm on top of the world. The future looks bright and I'm certainly enjoying the present!

December 19, 2011 12:18 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Cymbalta works very well for me. I was very reluctant to try it because of the concerns other users have brought up re: side effects and horrors of withdrawal symptoms and talk of "brain zaps." I started Cymbalta after trials of Wellbutrin, Lexepro and Celexa within the last two years. I was desperate to relieve my depression. I began Cymbalta in the spring of 2011. One side effect I occasionally suffer is stomach upset/burning. Tums relieves the symptoms as well as omeprazole. The other side effect I occasionally suffer from is the flu like symptoms (withdrawal symptoms) if I forget a dose or am late with a dose. I found the best time to take Cymbalta, for me, is at noon.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 18, 2011 12:42 PM
Review by AveMaria: User Rating:

Cymbalta was the worst possible medicine I have ever been on. Not only did it not help my depression at all, it actually made it worse. I also started taking it for Fibromyalgia pain which it did not help. Indeed, I have had more pain since starting on the Cymbalta than before I was on it. I can't even count how many times I have considered putting myself in the mental health ward of the local hospital.

December 15, 2011 12:12 AM
Review by LockStock&Barrel: User Rating:

I am scared of antidepressants as I had a bad occurrence weaning off Zoloft 10 years ago. I moved across country and back in 2 months time lock, stock and barrel. My new doctor has placed me on Cymbalta. I started on Nov. 16, so it's been 3 weeks and 1 day. The first 4 days were the hardest; however, I have felt more calm and at peace. I only want to be on it to get me through the rough patch. Once I have a routine again (job) I will (under a doctor's care) wean off slowly. I was told weaning off Zoloft should have been done in a year's time, not 3 months as I thought would work. I learned a very hard lesson. My advice, don't wean off any of these medicines on your own. It was extremely costly for me and difficult.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 9, 2011 1:55 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

After taking Cymbalta for 3 weeks I become gradually more nervous, by 4 and 1/2 weeks I felt like I was having a constant panic attack. I felt terrified all the time but I couldn't even tell you what I was terrified of. It was the most horrible feeling I've ever experienced. My doctor insisted that I increase the dose but I refused. I finally argued with him and demanded to be taken off. I've been looking for someone else that experienced a similar reaction.

December 3, 2011 12:10 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on Cymbalta for depression and GAD since July. I don't think it is working. I am still depressed and have anxiety attacks several times a week. Have talked to my Psychiatrist about this and he just says to give it more time. I am changing Psychiatrists after the first of the year.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2011 6:39 PM
Review by john goodwin: User Rating:

I was on Cymbalta about a year ago but when I found a job I wasn't able to make my monthly appointments due to being new and have a probationary period, so I stopped cold turkey and stayed very very dizzy but I was able to beat it and the dizziness went away. After losing my job my depression worsened very bad so I went back to my psychiatrist and got back on them. I got so bad I cried a lot while being alone, suicide thoughts, anger and hatred, lack of confidence. I sat in a recliner for 16 to 18 hours a day, but let me tell you something when I got back on Cymbalta 60mg I have done a complete turnaround. I have lost 40lbs, sex life is great now, my confidence is through the roof. I smile and laugh instead of crying, no suicidal thoughts.

November 28, 2011 4:24 AM
Review by California Pixie: User Rating:

I have suffered from major depression since childhood and have had fibromyalgia since 2000. I've tried Effexor, Paxil, Elavil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Nortriptyline, Prozac and on and on. All made my depression worse and left me so tired I couldn't function. I promised her that I wouldn't quit taking it because of side effects and without talking to her first. Three weeks I had had it but my husband kept encouraging me and my doctor was out of town. 5th week all the side effects (super, super fatigue, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, yawning, no appetite) have disappeared and I feel fabulous emotionally and physically. Give it time if you've had little success with other antidepressants. This one worked for me.

November 13, 2011 1:32 AM
Review by Yprkia: User Rating:

I have been on Cymbalta for about 7 months so far right and will continue to be on as instructed by my doctor. I am one of the luckiest who had no insomnia nor stomach problems because of it. I had bipolar and Cymbalta started to make me get better in its second week. The first week was slightly difficult, I had some cold hands and swinging mood struggles but they were pretty tolerable and went away fast. It's easy to focus on sports activities with it and it doesn't affect your nerve /muscle system badly. The withdrawal should be very carefully handled though because even when I forgot to take my pill one day, the next day I started having stomach and attention problems, low blood pressure and fatigue.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 12, 2011 2:41 PM
Review by Anonymous4: User Rating:

Have had major life changes the last two years and been depressed and weepy most days. Doctor prescribed Cymbalta 30 mg. On day 3. My head feels foggy and am tired all the time. I keep waking up at night but fall back to sleep.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 10, 2011 8:28 AM
Review by estepp: User Rating:

After my mum's death my doctor put me on this and it was a life saver. I took largest dose 120 mg. It helped me deal with her death and not stay in bed. I also found my arthritis from previous yrs never bothered me anymore. Body aches gone. I did wean myself off medicine after almost 3 yrs. But all body aches and pains came back. I am looking in to Going back on it for body aches.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate