User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Review by buttstrong:

I'm a 39 year old female and started taking this medicine a little over a year ago. It took a good month before I started feeling like myself again. I've been on and off antidepressants since the age of 18 and this is one of the better ones. I hope to stay on this for a long time, even though I am trying to get pregnant and was told by Psychiatrist and OBGYN that I need to stop taking it during the 2nd trimester because it's a category C drug. Like any other antidepressant, if you miss a dose, you WILL feel withdrawal symptoms. For me that means gastrointestinal problems and tiredness. Also, it is VERY expensive; my insurance doesn't cover.

May 23, 2011 3:21 AM

Review by sentient entity:

It worked pretty good for a while. Didn't stop the suicidal urges but it was better than other antidepressants I tried. I had to have the dose increased over time to 90mg to keep getting the same effect, and then it quit working entirely after a couple years, leaving only the side effects to contend with. Reaching orgasm was pretty difficult and sometimes I would only be able to once every week or two. It took 3 months to taper off of this, withdrawal was troublesome but not impossible to deal with.

May 21, 2011 10:13 AM

Review by Oh Me:

I've been on Cymbalta 30 mg for a week now. Regular depression, plus my mother got ill and passed away 3 mths ago. I have been able to stop crying, but I am SO TIRED. I hope this side effect will cease soon.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2011 2:51 PM

I started Cymbalta in December 2009 and I thought it worked wonders. My stepmom passed away in Jan of 2010 and it helped me get through it like an adult. I used to cry all the time over everything but that has stopped. It allows me to FEEL but not to be manic about it. I have to say the best thing about it though is the loss of appetite. I was a chronic over-eater and was starting to really chub out. Within 6 months of using this medication I lost 25 lbs. Unfortunately, for me, I got stubborn and tried to get off the medicine in January 2011. I felt that I could just do okay without it. I was so wrong. Within 3 months I've been depressed, sad, manic, and gained back 10lbs! I started the medicine again yesterday. Wish me luck!

May 10, 2011 6:18 PM

Review by bs1973:

After trying a couple of different anti-depressants, Cymbalta is by far THE best.

April 29, 2011 12:55 AM

Review by magnoliawjb:

My family KNOWS if I miss a dose. If I'm not around them during the day, then I know by mid afternoon if I've missed it. I feel unloved, depressed, yearning to just die. But we try to keep the dose as low as possible that will still work for me. When taken regularly, I'm a 'normal' person.

April 5, 2011 2:13 AM

Review by eagle371:

About 18 months ago I became very unhappy, got headaches and was not feeling well. My GP referred me to a psychiatrist, I was diagnosed with depression and started taking Cymbalta 60mg once a day. It worked like a miracle! Within a few days I stopped having the mentioned symptoms and was back to the way I was before my depression started. I highly recommend it.

March 24, 2011 7:37 AM

Review by Templar:

I have suffered from depression for the past 7 years of my life, not being able to preform basic functions. Sleeping all the time waking in a panic attack every time I slept. When I was awake my anxiety was so bad I had to hide from not only people but noise and light. The only thing that seemed to help was scratching at the walls. I've tried every anti-depressant out there and nothing has worked as great as Cymbalta. It's the first time in a 7 year depression /anxiety that I could start to feel alive again and wow! does it work for anxiety and panic. Totally gone! However the depression still lurks but doesn't keep me down. Cymbalta took about 10 weeks to fully kick in.

March 19, 2011 5:11 AM

Review by tanbin:

Have been taking this now for 2 years for anxiety and depression. I had minimal side effects when starting the medicine (needed minimal time to adjust as compared to other SSRIs) but can note I now perspire a lot more and my cholesterol and blood pressure have increased. This medicine has worked relatively well for me and has made me better balanced. I still get some anxiety and depression but it's not as debilitating. It will be disappointing if my cholesterol and blood pressure remain high as I will have to seek alternatives. I have had some weight loss on this medicine and am not hungry all the time like I was on Avanza and Luvox. Fingers crossed some weight loss will fix the high blood pressure.

March 18, 2011 8:32 AM

Been on Cymbalta for about 3 months now. I took off one notch for the rating because I seem to break out a little bit. Also I've noticed a slight decrease in libido. Other than that, this has been a true miracle for me. I am able to hold down a job, I've gotten my finances in order, and I've never gotten along so well with my girlfriend. For me, I take the 60 mg Cymbalta first thing in the morning at around the same time. I am really thankful to finally be able to have some sort of STABILITY in my life.

March 9, 2011 1:22 PM

Depression gone and fibromyalgia reduced by 65 percent. I do have much intestinal distress which I attribute to the side effects. I'm on 60mg. Started 8 months ago. Same time distress began. I'm thnking of asking for a lower dose to see if that helps. If I miss a dose I have horrible nightmares and night sweats. I don't want to give it up since it helps so many of my problems.

February 25, 2011 1:15 PM

Review by Tanb:

I really like it! No sexual side effects at all! I have been on several other antidepressants and this is the only one without sexual side effects I have tried. I did not notice any side effects going on it. I was going off Effexor at the same time, going off the Effexor was hard. Brain zaps! I have no complaints about this med. I am on thehighest dose 120 mg , started at 30mg

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2011 7:43 PM

I also take it for my back pain/sciatica. Since an increase to 90mg a day my depression is better and I think my pain has gotten better as well!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2011 4:04 AM

I took Cymbalta for about 3-4 months. I had major side effects. I tried taking it at night but I couldn't sleep. Switched to the mornings and I also had tingling all over, sexual side effects, worsened my suicidal thoughts. The only good thing about it is I totally had no appetite what so ever. I lost 15 lbs. I have since quit taking Cymbalta.

February 11, 2011 2:55 PM

I started taking Cymbalta 6 months ago. I know that they say this medicine can take about 3 weeks to kick in, however, I felt relief within hours of taking it. Maybe it's some medical miracle or my body finally got what it needed. I am a well educated woman who had a rough childhood. I tried different anti-depressants over the years and never felt anything like this. I stopped having suicidal thoughts. The side effects were: loss of appetite and so tired that I had to lay down in the afternoon. The only other medication I take is birth control. I discovered the following: If I take my birth control at night before bed and the 30mg Cymbalta in the morning then I'm not tired. The side effects went away by the 12th week so hang in there!

February 10, 2011 10:22 AM

Review by cote4:

Cymbalta works great, but withdrawals are ridiculous.

February 8, 2011 11:59 AM

I've been on many SSRI's years earlier and didn't want the weight gain again so I got on Cymbalta. I was very dizzy, sick to my stomach and really really tired. I spent almost 3 weeks in bed. I suffer from low cortisol which causes fatigue and after reading about Cymbalta it lowers your cortisol levels by 40%, so I'm back on Paxil which raises your Cortisol levels.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2011 9:00 AM

On this medicine for 5 days and have been on the couch for 4 days. Very lethargic, lazy, no energy to do anything, loss of appetite, nausea, can't sleep at night, just not myself at all. Missed 2 parties I was previously excited to go to, stayed home instead.

January 25, 2011 8:55 PM

I am on 30 mg of Cymbalta. I have been taking it for four months now. I feel a lot better then I did before starting the medication. I am grateful for it. I definitely still have bad days like anybody else. But I give credit to Cymbalta for my good days.

January 22, 2011 2:13 AM

I have been using Cymbalta for over a year now. I have since discontinued. The withdrawals are awful... brain zaps, nausea, dizziness, sweats, fever, body aches all over. I have also gained 10 to 15 lbs since taking this medication. I am active and do not eat crazy. This medication worked at first but the side effects are awful. I want to start a family and it's time for me to ween off my medicines.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2010 10:56 AM

This medicine helped me a lot at first, helped me get motivated to get out of bed, etc. Now I'm extremely irritable and very snappy with my husband and daughter. I have also had some very bad fits of rage. I've just put in a crisis call after I caught myself about to hurt my daughter. Cymbalta is not a medicine that is working for me after taking it for a little over a month.

December 21, 2010 10:29 PM

Review by moto_pete:

I am 15, about to turn 16 and I have been taking Cymbalta for a few months now. At first this medicine helped me out to sort out a few issues in life but now it seems to me and my friends and family can see that I have gone back to the way I was before I started taking Cymbalta. This is the second medication I have been on for major depression. I can't sleep properly anymore and in my waking hours I feel so deep in a hole. I also have severe anger snaps that turn out very bad for those around and myself. Its 6 days to Christmas, not excited a bit and only a month till my birthday and still not excited. Cymbalta as I said was very helpful at first but it seems my body has got used to this and now I am on a very big down spiral.

December 18, 2010 1:01 PM

I was on Cymbalta for about 3 months. I can't say that it really did a whole lot for me during that time. I think it may have made me feel a little more energized but I vaguely remember feeling anxious and jittery along with that. The most profound effect that this medicine did have on me was my bowels. For some reason it gave me the worst smelling flatulence of my life. It was literally unbearable and is the main reason that I got off of it. Once I got off, the flatulence went away and my bowels went back to normal.

December 15, 2010 8:37 AM

Been on the medication for almost 2 months. Don't know if has any good effect over me but few days ago I stopped taking it and I had the most horrible depression ever so now I'm back on it and I started to feel much better.

December 9, 2010 9:58 AM

Took my first pill today and felt great and was actually kind of hyper until evening time when I started feeling nauseous.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate