User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Review by bs1973: User Rating:

After trying a couple of different anti-depressants, Cymbalta is by far THE best.

April 29, 2011 12:55 AM
Review by magnoliawjb: User Rating:

My family KNOWS if I miss a dose. If I'm not around them during the day, then I know by mid afternoon if I've missed it. I feel unloved, depressed, yearning to just die. But we try to keep the dose as low as possible that will still work for me. When taken regularly, I'm a 'normal' person.

April 5, 2011 2:13 AM
Review by eagle371: User Rating:

About 18 months ago I became very unhappy, got headaches and was not feeling well. My GP referred me to a psychiatrist, I was diagnosed with depression and started taking Cymbalta 60mg once a day. It worked like a miracle! Within a few days I stopped having the mentioned symptoms and was back to the way I was before my depression started. I highly recommend it.

March 24, 2011 7:37 AM
Review by Templar: User Rating:

I have suffered from depression for the past 7 years of my life, not being able to preform basic functions. Sleeping all the time waking in a panic attack every time I slept. When I was awake my anxiety was so bad I had to hide from not only people but noise and light. The only thing that seemed to help was scratching at the walls. I've tried every anti-depressant out there and nothing has worked as great as Cymbalta. It's the first time in a 7 year depression /anxiety that I could start to feel alive again and wow! does it work for anxiety and panic. Totally gone! However the depression still lurks but doesn't keep me down. Cymbalta took about 10 weeks to fully kick in.

March 19, 2011 5:11 AM
Review by tanbin: User Rating:

Have been taking this now for 2 years for anxiety and depression. I had minimal side effects when starting the medicine (needed minimal time to adjust as compared to other SSRIs) but can note I now perspire a lot more and my cholesterol and blood pressure have increased. This medicine has worked relatively well for me and has made me better balanced. I still get some anxiety and depression but it's not as debilitating. It will be disappointing if my cholesterol and blood pressure remain high as I will have to seek alternatives. I have had some weight loss on this medicine and am not hungry all the time like I was on Avanza and Luvox. Fingers crossed some weight loss will fix the high blood pressure.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2011 8:32 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Been on Cymbalta for about 3 months now. I took off one notch for the rating because I seem to break out a little bit. Also I've noticed a slight decrease in libido. Other than that, this has been a true miracle for me. I am able to hold down a job, I've gotten my finances in order, and I've never gotten along so well with my girlfriend. For me, I take the 60 mg Cymbalta first thing in the morning at around the same time. I am really thankful to finally be able to have some sort of STABILITY in my life.

March 9, 2011 1:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Depression gone and fibromyalgia reduced by 65 percent. I do have much intestinal distress which I attribute to the side effects. I'm on 60mg. Started 8 months ago. Same time distress began. I'm thnking of asking for a lower dose to see if that helps. If I miss a dose I have horrible nightmares and night sweats. I don't want to give it up since it helps so many of my problems.

February 25, 2011 1:15 PM
Review by Tanb: User Rating:

I really like it! No sexual side effects at all! I have been on several other antidepressants and this is the only one without sexual side effects I have tried. I did not notice any side effects going on it. I was going off Effexor at the same time, going off the Effexor was hard. Brain zaps! I have no complaints about this med. I am on thehighest dose 120 mg , started at 30mg

February 22, 2011 7:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I also take it for my back pain/sciatica. Since an increase to 90mg a day my depression is better and I think my pain has gotten better as well!

February 17, 2011 4:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took Cymbalta for about 3-4 months. I had major side effects. I tried taking it at night but I couldn't sleep. Switched to the mornings and I also had tingling all over, sexual side effects, worsened my suicidal thoughts. The only good thing about it is I totally had no appetite what so ever. I lost 15 lbs. I have since quit taking Cymbalta.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 11, 2011 2:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started taking Cymbalta 6 months ago. I know that they say this medicine can take about 3 weeks to kick in, however, I felt relief within hours of taking it. Maybe it's some medical miracle or my body finally got what it needed. I am a well educated woman who had a rough childhood. I tried different anti-depressants over the years and never felt anything like this. I stopped having suicidal thoughts. The side effects were: loss of appetite and so tired that I had to lay down in the afternoon. The only other medication I take is birth control. I discovered the following: If I take my birth control at night before bed and the 30mg Cymbalta in the morning then I'm not tired. The side effects went away by the 12th week so hang in there!

February 10, 2011 10:22 AM
Review by cote4: User Rating:

Cymbalta works great, but withdrawals are ridiculous.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2011 11:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on many SSRI's years earlier and didn't want the weight gain again so I got on Cymbalta. I was very dizzy, sick to my stomach and really really tired. I spent almost 3 weeks in bed. I suffer from low cortisol which causes fatigue and after reading about Cymbalta it lowers your cortisol levels by 40%, so I'm back on Paxil which raises your Cortisol levels.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 6, 2011 9:00 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

On this medicine for 5 days and have been on the couch for 4 days. Very lethargic, lazy, no energy to do anything, loss of appetite, nausea, can't sleep at night, just not myself at all. Missed 2 parties I was previously excited to go to, stayed home instead.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2011 8:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am on 30 mg of Cymbalta. I have been taking it for four months now. I feel a lot better then I did before starting the medication. I am grateful for it. I definitely still have bad days like anybody else. But I give credit to Cymbalta for my good days.

January 22, 2011 2:13 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been using Cymbalta for over a year now. I have since discontinued. The withdrawals are awful... brain zaps, nausea, dizziness, sweats, fever, body aches all over. I have also gained 10 to 15 lbs since taking this medication. I am active and do not eat crazy. This medication worked at first but the side effects are awful. I want to start a family and it's time for me to ween off my medicines.

December 28, 2010 10:56 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This medicine helped me a lot at first, helped me get motivated to get out of bed, etc. Now I'm extremely irritable and very snappy with my husband and daughter. I have also had some very bad fits of rage. I've just put in a crisis call after I caught myself about to hurt my daughter. Cymbalta is not a medicine that is working for me after taking it for a little over a month.

December 21, 2010 10:29 PM
Review by moto_pete: User Rating:

I am 15, about to turn 16 and I have been taking Cymbalta for a few months now. At first this medicine helped me out to sort out a few issues in life but now it seems to me and my friends and family can see that I have gone back to the way I was before I started taking Cymbalta. This is the second medication I have been on for major depression. I can't sleep properly anymore and in my waking hours I feel so deep in a hole. I also have severe anger snaps that turn out very bad for those around and myself. Its 6 days to Christmas, not excited a bit and only a month till my birthday and still not excited. Cymbalta as I said was very helpful at first but it seems my body has got used to this and now I am on a very big down spiral.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 18, 2010 1:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Cymbalta for about 3 months. I can't say that it really did a whole lot for me during that time. I think it may have made me feel a little more energized but I vaguely remember feeling anxious and jittery along with that. The most profound effect that this medicine did have on me was my bowels. For some reason it gave me the worst smelling flatulence of my life. It was literally unbearable and is the main reason that I got off of it. Once I got off, the flatulence went away and my bowels went back to normal.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 15, 2010 8:37 AM

Been on the medication for almost 2 months. Don't know if has any good effect over me but few days ago I stopped taking it and I had the most horrible depression ever so now I'm back on it and I started to feel much better.

December 9, 2010 9:58 AM

Took my first pill today and felt great and was actually kind of hyper until evening time when I started feeling nauseous.

December 6, 2010 6:49 PM
Review by learnFMnow: User Rating:

I have suffered major depression for many years and have taken almost every SSRI that has been on the market. I recently slipped into a bout of very deep depression and was almost suicidal. Cymbalta pulled me out of it. I am very thankful for this medication because it brought ME back. However, it was not working at 60mg a day so the doctor increased it to 120mg a day. I realize that is a high dose but the benefits outweigh the risks by far in my situation. I was in the deepest darkest depression for about 3 months and almost lost my job over it. Cymbalta saved me... literally.

November 30, 2010 3:11 PM
Review by naughtycatx1: User Rating:

I had a terrible reaction to Cymbalta called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome. Stiff muscles, couldn't stand let alone walk to the phone, couldn't feel my hands and feet, fever, blood pressure through the roof. After a family member found me on the floor drooling I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I realize this is a rare side effect, but it does happen. What's great for one person may not be great for the next.

November 28, 2010 6:41 AM

Just wanted to say that I am happy to read some of these positive reviews. I was switched to Cymbalta yesteray by my doctor and when I read so many negative reviews I started getting really nervous. I am hoping that this drug is a positive for me.

November 18, 2010 1:47 PM
Review by trying-everything: User Rating:

Started on 30mg for about 3 months, not much help. Upped to 60mg, no help. Now on 90mg for one month and my depression is even worse that it was. I slipped into a major down a few days ago, one of the worst I've had in years and have yet to bounce back from it. I have had mild brain zaps here and there since going to 90mg. Anyway, I am guessing my psychiatrist will try something different. I have tried Lexapro (helped me for many years, then seemed to stop working). Wellbutrin (made me very irritable), and Pristiq (did nothing except lower my libido and give me a little bit of energy).

November 13, 2010 9:11 AM