Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Review by Donna Payne:

I have been on Cymbalta for over 5 years and it works great when I was taking it daily but due to my husbands new job(NC) and no insurance, I had to stop taking it for awhile. NOT good!!! I started having headaches, feeling anxious, not sleeping, very sad and no energy. I finally was able to get some samples from my Doctor thank goodness. I have started back up on it the last few days but really feeling the side effects of it again. Nausea, tired, feeling like I have been run over by a freight train and just ugh. Also, noticing that I am feeling like crying all the time and for no reason. I am sure once the medicine gets back into my system, I will feel myself again, but it's frustrating having to wait.

October 12, 2011 9:33 AM

Review by Stonetexdesign.com:

Just started using Cymbalta. I am a male 38 years old. Own my own business and pretty much lost desire to do anything. Life just seems to be really tough inside of me. I hope I can find some good results.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2011 12:24 AM

Review by saltyII:

Cymbalta does indeed work. Most who have given it a fair shake know the results and it is seen by reading the comments here. Most people who quit using Cymbalta never gave it a "real" chance of working properly. For most people, Cymbalta starts working quickly, but some may take 2-3 weeks or more to get the full effect.

September 25, 2011 3:24 PM

I took the strongest available dosage, so I felt the the effects right away. I only ever had one side effect, and that was insomnia. I would wake up every night at 2am and not sleep any longer. However this went away after 3-4 weeks. Cymbalta works well to eliminate depression, however you shouldn't drink while on it. The only other negative about this medicine is getting off it. Do not, under any circumstances stop taking it immediately. It swings you into an extreme depression. So if and when you stop, try cutting the pill in half for a while to lower the dosage and ease yourself off.

September 25, 2011 2:57 AM

Cymbalta increased my pulse rate to 110 to 120 bpm. Went back to doctors office was given beta blocker medication to decrease my heart pulse. Cymbalta also did not help with panic attack, anxiety and depression. Bad side effects especially dizziness all day long.

September 10, 2011 4:38 AM

Review by dirka dirka:

I have been on Cymbalta for depression for 3 weeks now. I have had a wide range of side effects sleeplessness, stomach cramps, loss of appetite, sweating, nausea, a constant bad taste in my mouth and a total loss of libido. I spoke to my doctor about this and he said it may take a few weeks to really kick in. I hope it hurries up. I had been on other antidepressants a few years ago with no side effects. After 2 days I feel the medicine has lifted me slightly but not as much as I would have hoped.

August 19, 2011 4:22 PM

Review by ChristyN:

I'm 22 years old and have had depression for 9 years. I've tried Celexa, Paxil, Zoloft, and Xanax, but nothing has helped me better than Cymbalta. The first time I took it I threw up, and had no appetite for about 4 days. But the second day of taking it, I could tell it was working. I could focus more, I could smile more, I could go out in public and not panic. And T.V shows that I'd seen before and didn't think was funny, I now watched and laughed at! Cymbalta has completely changed my life. I've been taking 60mg a day for 2 weeks now and I can't remember ever being this happy and hopeful. It's very expensive if you don't have insurance, but there are organizations out there that will help you out with your prescriptions.

August 9, 2011 6:29 PM

I have been through literally 20 medications trying to find something that works and Cymbalta is the only one that really works. It (combined with my doctor's help) has saved my life.

August 2, 2011 4:47 PM

Review by McDuff67:

I have been taking Cymbalta for almost 2 years and I have never felt better. I don't remember having any side effects, what I did notice was that I wasn't crying anymore or screaming at my children for no reason. I am very impressed with this medication.

August 2, 2011 2:19 PM

Review by sweetangel187az:

I have been taking Cymbalta for about 2 months. I started out with the 30mg and now I am taking 120mg 1x day. I take Cymbalta for Depression, Diabetic Pain, Psoriatic Arthritis Pain, Fibromyalgia, Weight Loss. But I have noticed about 3 days after starting the 120mg a day my psoriasis flared up very bad. I have not added anything new to my diet. The only different was the increase of the Cymbalta. I will keep on taking the medication at that dose. I will just keep on using a lot of creams to help with the Psoriasis rash. I must also say I have been losing a lot of Weight which is a good thing.

July 29, 2011 2:05 PM

Review by JeanetteRichter:

Did not find this drug beneficial for me. May have helped with some depression symptoms, but overall, I don't feel that it is doing anything positive for me at this point. Have been on it for almost 5 months. Find I am careless, impulsive, lazy, lethargic, etc.

July 21, 2011 7:17 AM

At the beginning I had stomach pain, however, after a few weeks it went away. Feel great now!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2011 12:50 PM

Review by Laugh&&Love!:

Cymbalta has given me my life back. I finally feel like me again. The loving, caring, free-spirited person I had forgotten about. I can finally function, which is so important to me. I am getting a 4.0 in college. I feel like a walking miracle! I can't believe where I am today; that a pill could literally save my life. I was so close to suicide, so violent, and so depressed. I wanted to die. I'm FINALLY HAPPY! It's sad that Cymbalta has low reviews from people withdrawing from it. I'm sure it's difficult. But does that take away from how much it helps!? I might be on it the rest of my life, who knows?

July 5, 2011 4:39 PM

Within 24 hours of taking this pill, I became sick and lost the ability to get an erection. So yeah thats fun. I have taken several antidepressants through the years and I have never experienced side effects this bad.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2011 12:27 AM

Review by brituc:

I've been taking Cymbalta 30mg for almost 2 weeks now for depression and anxiety. My doctor said this is a very low dose which is why I feel only a minor improvement. Before this, I have taken Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Trazodone, Buspar, Paxil, and several others. With all of them, they either had no effect or made me feel worse. Plus their side effects ranged anywhere from inconvenient to nearly debilitating. Cymbalta is the first medicine that I haven't suffered from any side effects at all. The next time I meet with my doctor, I'm going to see if she will increase my dosage.

June 10, 2011 4:45 PM

Review by HLP04:

I started Cymbalta 30 mg last night for the first time. The medicine made me very sleepy and I fell asleep. I awoke during the night with very sharp pains in my head, the left side of my face felt numb, a lot of sweating, very unusual racing thoughts (I was a business woman with a briefcase walking the streets in New York) ...(possible hallucination, not sure) heart palpitations and my head felt like it weighed a ton. It is now the next day and I feel very weak and dizzy and lightheaded. I'm nauseated and still having headaches. Wished it could have worked but I can't take it anymore.

May 23, 2011 12:15 PM

Review by buttstrong:

I'm a 39 year old female and started taking this medicine a little over a year ago. It took a good month before I started feeling like myself again. I've been on and off antidepressants since the age of 18 and this is one of the better ones. I hope to stay on this for a long time, even though I am trying to get pregnant and was told by Psychiatrist and OBGYN that I need to stop taking it during the 2nd trimester because it's a category C drug. Like any other antidepressant, if you miss a dose, you WILL feel withdrawal symptoms. For me that means gastrointestinal problems and tiredness. Also, it is VERY expensive; my insurance doesn't cover.

May 23, 2011 3:21 AM

Review by sentient entity:

It worked pretty good for a while. Didn't stop the suicidal urges but it was better than other antidepressants I tried. I had to have the dose increased over time to 90mg to keep getting the same effect, and then it quit working entirely after a couple years, leaving only the side effects to contend with. Reaching orgasm was pretty difficult and sometimes I would only be able to once every week or two. It took 3 months to taper off of this, withdrawal was troublesome but not impossible to deal with.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2011 10:13 AM

Review by Oh Me:

I've been on Cymbalta 30 mg for a week now. Regular depression, plus my mother got ill and passed away 3 mths ago. I have been able to stop crying, but I am SO TIRED. I hope this side effect will cease soon.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2011 2:51 PM

I started Cymbalta in December 2009 and I thought it worked wonders. My stepmom passed away in Jan of 2010 and it helped me get through it like an adult. I used to cry all the time over everything but that has stopped. It allows me to FEEL but not to be manic about it. I have to say the best thing about it though is the loss of appetite. I was a chronic over-eater and was starting to really chub out. Within 6 months of using this medication I lost 25 lbs. Unfortunately, for me, I got stubborn and tried to get off the medicine in January 2011. I felt that I could just do okay without it. I was so wrong. Within 3 months I've been depressed, sad, manic, and gained back 10lbs! I started the medicine again yesterday. Wish me luck!

May 10, 2011 6:18 PM

Review by bs1973:

After trying a couple of different anti-depressants, Cymbalta is by far THE best.

April 29, 2011 12:55 AM

Review by magnoliawjb:

My family KNOWS if I miss a dose. If I'm not around them during the day, then I know by mid afternoon if I've missed it. I feel unloved, depressed, yearning to just die. But we try to keep the dose as low as possible that will still work for me. When taken regularly, I'm a 'normal' person.

April 5, 2011 2:13 AM

Review by eagle371:

About 18 months ago I became very unhappy, got headaches and was not feeling well. My GP referred me to a psychiatrist, I was diagnosed with depression and started taking Cymbalta 60mg once a day. It worked like a miracle! Within a few days I stopped having the mentioned symptoms and was back to the way I was before my depression started. I highly recommend it.

March 24, 2011 7:37 AM

Review by Templar:

I have suffered from depression for the past 7 years of my life, not being able to preform basic functions. Sleeping all the time waking in a panic attack every time I slept. When I was awake my anxiety was so bad I had to hide from not only people but noise and light. The only thing that seemed to help was scratching at the walls. I've tried every anti-depressant out there and nothing has worked as great as Cymbalta. It's the first time in a 7 year depression /anxiety that I could start to feel alive again and wow! does it work for anxiety and panic. Totally gone! However the depression still lurks but doesn't keep me down. Cymbalta took about 10 weeks to fully kick in.

March 19, 2011 5:11 AM

Review by tanbin:

Have been taking this now for 2 years for anxiety and depression. I had minimal side effects when starting the medicine (needed minimal time to adjust as compared to other SSRIs) but can note I now perspire a lot more and my cholesterol and blood pressure have increased. This medicine has worked relatively well for me and has made me better balanced. I still get some anxiety and depression but it's not as debilitating. It will be disappointing if my cholesterol and blood pressure remain high as I will have to seek alternatives. I have had some weight loss on this medicine and am not hungry all the time like I was on Avanza and Luvox. Fingers crossed some weight loss will fix the high blood pressure.

March 18, 2011 8:32 AM