User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 6)

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I have been on Cymbalta for 10 weeks now. I started at 30 then went to 60. I was feeling wonderful, less negative, less worried, it was great. However the last 10 days or so I have started clenching my teeth, severe nausea, horrible dreams, weight gain and dizziness. I don't want to go back to the way I was feeling before, however I can't continue feeling this way either!"

Anonymous November 15, 2012

"Cymbalta helped with my depression, but caused me to gain a lot of weight."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2012

"I LOVED Cymbalta, I felt wonderful, no aches and pains, no depression, I had my life back. I was paying $90 for a 3 month supply... THEN it happened, my co-pay went to $1000 for a 3 month supply! I want to cry, I obviously can't afford that so I got switched to Venlafaxine, I now have a constant slight headache and it makes me nauseous, my anxiety is back. Dr. switched me to Prozac yesterday, we shall see but what I would not give to have my Cymbalta back."

Ridodami4 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2012

"Cymbalta after being treated with Lexapro, most recently and four other antidepressants and enhancers, has FINALLY relieved me of depression and suicidal thoughts after seven years of being treated and hospitalized at one point. With all my heart I can say this little capsule has definitely saved and improved my life 100%. It's nothing short of a miracle to me."

Chas. October 10, 2012

"Went nearly mad on this antidepressant, clenched my teeth, constant sweats. Terrible and always tired on it. Doctor just kept upping the dosage. Was on 120mg when I complained, changed doctor and am now coming off Cymbalta. Now have dreadful dizziness and brain zaps but anything is better than what I was going through. "

annie irish (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2012

"I'm 21. Cymbalta works really well with depression. It made me happy. So happy I could lose my mind in myself and forget to do anything but eat and think. That's why I'm giving it a 5. When I started taking it I lost about 4lbs.... Then... Tada! I gained 14lbs in 2 weeks. I got off the medicine right after this. I'm not going to gain all my weight back to make myself more depressed in the future. Watch out for this one if you're watching what you eat. I've lost 7 of the 14, so at least I have that. But I'm upset by the gain. I was on it for a month."

Kitten_babygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2012

"I'm a person who suffers from bipolar or (manic depression). Before I found out what my diagnosis I had a really low self esteem I would be consistently having break downs and panic attacks but now Cymbalta has stabilized my mood a lot better then it was. I've been on it for 2 1/2 yrs and yeah they'll be times where I have a breakdown or panic attacks once in awhile but they are not so constant. I also hear voices in my head and thats the only thing that Cymbalta doesn't take away is the voices."

encinimartini (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2012

"Three months on Cymbalta now and doing ok. I posted before that I started out on a very small dose and over 6 weeks got it up to 30 mg. I felt better than I ever had in my life! Then I tried to get it up further but suffered from horrible constipation and gas. Took me a while to know why, but now I am going back to 30 because I think that might be the right dose for me. It's all a bit experimental, but I do know that I couldn't bear to feel like I did before with no medicines. Just so anxious all the time for no reason, had to stop doing a lot of things in life, altogether so much less than I could be. Still grateful for this medicine."

Drongo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2012

"It's an okay medicine for depression, but I've had times where I'd miss one day of Cymbalta and immediately feel withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, nausea, headache, etc...) The only other medicine I've ever had this happen with is Effexor. I hate that I have to make sure that I have to take this at the right time of day, because even being late by like 6 hours, I feel the withdrawal symptoms kicking in."

Mollz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2012

"I suffer from major depression so the doctor gave me Cymbalta. The first days I was completely out of it. Didn't know what was going on so I quit taking it for a day and I went back to normal. The next day I tried again to give it time, well I have no memory of two days because I was so out of it and blacked out. I woke up in the hospital swollen up like crazy they told me I overdosed from the depression medicines but I only took 4, 1 pill a day."

jamiebaby (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2012

"I had been abusing Vicodin for 10 years! Stopped and it threw me into an AWFUL depression. My doctor put me on 60mg of Cymbalta. It took me a full month BUT the change was nothing less then AMAZING. It was as if a light went off and BAM I woke up one day and was ME again. For me this was a life saver medication. Been on this medicine for 42 days now."

happyagain003 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2012

"I was in a major depression: I had considerable lethargy, anxiety, weight loss, racing thoughts that I could not seem to turn off and I felt suicidal. I couldn't make the smallest of decisions. I was terrified to drive and I've been driving for over 30 years! I also had great difficulty performing even the simplest of tasks- some things I could not do at all! After about a month I noticed tremendous relief. It was like a huge cloud had been lifted and that I had been pulled out of a 'huge hole'! I definitely feel Cymbalta saved MY life."

KDBadger (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2012

"Did not help depression. Caused immediate aggressive and angry feelings and behavior. "

sallykt (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2012

"I was prescribed Cymbalta 60mg a day I take it in the evening to help with stress & depression. The side effects of dry mouth & loss of appetite only lasted about a week and a half then subsided away. My depression has been improving but I must say a big benefit for me also has been my back pain, that has had me almost crippling at times, is about non existent, which I realized must be from the Cymbalta. Anyway so far so good."

twosnappy4u (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

"I have been taking Cymbalta for the past 5 days and have noticed a significant change in my personality. My children told me that I am way cooler on my medication. I have not felt like this EVER. Cymbalta is better than Prozac, Paxil, and Depakote, for sure. Prozac made me more anxious and depressed, Paxil made me angry, and Depakote made me lethargic. I must say that I don't particularly like the side effects of Cymbalta, but this medication makes me feel like a human being, instead of an irritable, depressed, worried mess."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2012

"I suffer from depression and also have Type 1 diabetes. I wanted to try this medication and quickly noticed a difference in mild pain in my legs. I take good care of my my diabetes, have had it for 25 years and have been in a nationwide study for 24 years. As for depression, the Cymbalta seems to do nothing for me. I started on 60mgs, then increased to 90 and then 120mgs with no improvement ever since taking it. I'd like to stay on a lower dosage of it for my mild leg pain but, desperately need something for the depression."

ncpd25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2012

"Only on my 3rd day of taking Cymbalta and the side effects are severely affecting me. I haven't been able to eat due to the nausea and my head feels as if I have taken an illicit drug. My pupils are dilated to the point where I can't look anyone in the eye."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2012

"Switched onto Cymbalta after many years on Lexapro (which became ineffective). Gradually increased to 60mg/ day, taken in the morning. Initial side effects were tolerable, (sleepy, spaced-out) but as a student I need to be awake and focused. My MD suggested taking the medicine prior to bedtime- it definitely helped! Now I am able to wake up and function properly everyday without the frustrating aspects of depression!"

Anonymous April 25, 2012

"First of all, I was prescribed to Cymbalta/Buspar at the same time to treat my depression/anxiety, respectively, and I can say that I experienced absolutely no side effects from the Cymbalta and I seem to "care" slightly more about other people not just myself. I've been taking Cymbalta for 4 weeks now and am unsure if I've experienced the full effect of what it should be doing for me"

Danny in Green Bay March 18, 2012

"I have been using Cymbalta for the last 5 years I started at 30 for a month, then 60 mgr and finally 120mg because I was under treatment for Severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder where initially I started with Efexor XR 250mg very bad medicine for people with high blood pressure (made me sweat like crazy and I have up\down mood issues and increased the feeling of hunger). Then the doctor put on Paxil.. even worse During last year I tried to leave Cymbalta for good, but it did not work, I started feeling very anxious, upset, very depressed and electrical shocks feeling in my head nausea... I went back to my doctor and from 30 mg I went back to 60mg."

MPP March 11, 2012

"This medicine worked well for first 5 months, but has since stopped working. I have also put on 20 lbs in the past 4 months and I am very tired . I am about to go off of the medication, but I am very nervous about side effects."

Hwkm March 10, 2012

"Started while weaning off Prozac. When begun, headaches in center front of head; lasted less than a week. Return of sex drive. Return of motivation."

Anonymous March 7, 2012

"For anyone suffering from depression I cannot tell you how much this medication has changed my life. I had been suffering with depression and anxiety for years, severe depression started a year ago when I lost my father, I had Been taking Zoloft 100 mg for about 5 years, worked great for the anxiety but did nothing for my depression. My doctor added Wellbutrin 100 mg to my Zoloft, the Wellbutrin was awful, gave me kind of an agitated energy and no help with the depression. I'm on day 3 with Cymbalta, weaning off Zoloft, so 50mg Zoloft a day with 30 mg Cymbalta. Before I started taking Cymbalta I was to the point of just wanting to go to sleep and never wake up. Cymbalta has given me back my life! I only wish I had known about it sooner!"

Megster March 1, 2012

"I thought this was a miracle medicine; I never felt better in my whole life-for 3 months, and then it stopped working. 2 other people who told me they were on this said the same thing."

goooooooch February 26, 2012

"I have been taking Cymbalta for depression and have been on it for almost a month. I have noticed a change in my mood. I am starting to feel better about everything. I don't feel like I'm walking around in a fog anymore. I felt really tired for the first couple of days and mostly slept, but now I'm feeling much better. I haven't felt any other side effects. I have taken other medications for depression, Paxil, Celexa and Effexor. Paxil and Effexor didn't work for me at all and the Celexa worked for about a year and then, didn't work at all. I hope that Cymbalta will keep working for me, because I don't want to change medicines again. Cymbalta is working for me already and I hope things will become even better the longer I'm taking it."

67sammy February 20, 2012