User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I've been on Cymbalta for depression and GAD since July. I don't think it is working. I am still depressed and have anxiety attacks several times a week. Have talked to my Psychiatrist about this and he just says to give it more time. I am changing Psychiatrists after the first of the year."

Anonymous December 1, 2011

"I was on Cymbalta about a year ago but when I found a job I wasn't able to make my monthly appointments due to being new and have a probationary period, so I stopped cold turkey and stayed very very dizzy but I was able to beat it and the dizziness went away. After losing my job my depression worsened very bad so I went back to my psychiatrist and got back on them. I got so bad I cried a lot while being alone, suicide thoughts, anger and hatred, lack of confidence. I sat in a recliner for 16 to 18 hours a day, but let me tell you something when I got back on Cymbalta 60mg I have done a complete turnaround. I have lost 40lbs, sex life is great now, my confidence is through the roof. I smile and laugh instead of crying, no suicidal thoughts."

john goodwin November 28, 2011

"I have suffered from major depression since childhood and have had fibromyalgia since 2000. I've tried Effexor, Paxil, Elavil, Zoloft, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Nortriptyline, Prozac and on and on. All made my depression worse and left me so tired I couldn't function. I promised her that I wouldn't quit taking it because of side effects and without talking to her first. Three weeks I had had it but my husband kept encouraging me and my doctor was out of town. 5th week all the side effects (super, super fatigue, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, yawning, no appetite) have disappeared and I feel fabulous emotionally and physically. Give it time if you've had little success with other antidepressants. This one worked for me."

California Pixie November 13, 2011

"I have been on Cymbalta for about 7 months so far right and will continue to be on as instructed by my doctor. I am one of the luckiest who had no insomnia nor stomach problems because of it. I had bipolar and Cymbalta started to make me get better in its second week. The first week was slightly difficult, I had some cold hands and swinging mood struggles but they were pretty tolerable and went away fast. It's easy to focus on sports activities with it and it doesn't affect your nerve /muscle system badly. The withdrawal should be very carefully handled though because even when I forgot to take my pill one day, the next day I started having stomach and attention problems, low blood pressure and fatigue."

Yprkia November 12, 2011

"Have had major life changes the last two years and been depressed and weepy most days. Doctor prescribed Cymbalta 30 mg. On day 3. My head feels foggy and am tired all the time. I keep waking up at night but fall back to sleep. "

Anonymous4 November 10, 2011

"After my mum's death my doctor put me on this and it was a life saver. I took largest dose 120 mg. It helped me deal with her death and not stay in bed. I also found my arthritis from previous yrs never bothered me anymore. Body aches gone. I did wean myself off medicine after almost 3 yrs. But all body aches and pains came back. I am looking in to Going back on it for body aches."

estepp November 5, 2011

"For anyone taking this or planning on taking this, DO NOT DISCONTINUE WITHOUT WEANING OFF! That said, besides brain zap, yawning and anorgasmia over the first 3 months of treatment (18 months and counting ), Cymbalta has been a great treatment for my anxiety / depression issues. I have only experienced these side effects when changing dose or missing a dose (30mg a day, last 15 months, 60mg a day for first 3). At one point I wanted to come off it, GP guided me through a 12 week taper off course, but my 2-5 drinks a month were causing the problems I had associated with the medicine. I no longer drink, and it's all so cruisy. I take mine 1-2 hours before 'bed time'. Works for me because I tend to sleep deeper and wake with lots of energy."

Anonymous October 31, 2011

"Went on 60mg Cymbalta. Was amazingly good for about a year. Minimal side effects except for some reduction in appetite which was a bit of a problem and causing tiredness at work. It got my life back for me for a while at a time when I thought only of death. I began socializing and getting into hobbies, etc. I then had to work on issues I had created while in depression such as drinking. At about 1 year however some strange effects started occurring. I would for about a week per month become fearful and could not leave the house. Eventually went to a psychiatrist who suggested stopping cold turkey. That was okay, no problems."

Anonymous October 30, 2011

"I was prescribed 30 mg of Cymbalta in February 2010 and took a daily dose until now. I am currently on Day 12 of being Cymbalta free. For a period of time, Cymbalta worked really well for me; however after over a year and a half on it, I was beginning to feel like a zombie and there were serious sexual side effects that interfered with my quality of life. My doctor instructed me to stop Cymbalta cold turkey and so far, it has been the worst 12 days of my life. Horrible, HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms that actually sent me to the hospital. Although Cymbalta did work well for me in the beginning, had I known about the withdrawals I wouldn't have taken it."

Anonymous October 27, 2011

"I am going back on these! I have an appointment and it can not come soon enough. I slipped back into depression gradually and feel numb and do not have interest in anything. It scares me to be like this! When I was on Cymbalta before the side effects did fade, mostly dry mouth and tiredness. I took them at night and it helped. I felt I wanted to try medicine free because after 2 years felt better. Well one year later and I am depressed again! Going back on them! The withdrawal symptoms did not bother me, I weaned gradually. Wellburtin XL worked for me too, I lost a lot of weight on that one! GOOD side effect."

self medicated October 25, 2011

"This medicine saved me life! After just 3 weeks of use I started noticing a major difference. I did experience really bad side effects at first such a nausea, insomnia and loss of appetite. But after 4 days, these side effects started to subside and after the first week they were completely gone. I can't even remember the last time I felt this good! I would recommend it to everyone."

Anonymous October 13, 2011

"I have been on Cymbalta for over 5 years and it works great when I was taking it daily but due to my husbands new job(NC) and no insurance, I had to stop taking it for awhile. NOT good!!! I started having headaches, feeling anxious, not sleeping, very sad and no energy. I finally was able to get some samples from my Doctor thank goodness. I have started back up on it the last few days but really feeling the side effects of it again. Nausea, tired, feeling like I have been run over by a freight train and just ugh. Also, noticing that I am feeling like crying all the time and for no reason. I am sure once the medicine gets back into my system, I will feel myself again, but it's frustrating having to wait. "

Donna Payne October 12, 2011

"Just started using Cymbalta. I am a male 38 years old. Own my own business and pretty much lost desire to do anything. Life just seems to be really tough inside of me. I hope I can find some good results."

Stonetexdesign.com October 6, 2011

"Cymbalta does indeed work. Most who have given it a fair shake know the results and it is seen by reading the comments here. Most people who quit using Cymbalta never gave it a "real" chance of working properly. For most people, Cymbalta starts working quickly, but some may take 2-3 weeks or more to get the full effect. "

saltyII September 25, 2011

"I took the strongest available dosage, so I felt the the effects right away. I only ever had one side effect, and that was insomnia. I would wake up every night at 2am and not sleep any longer. However this went away after 3-4 weeks. Cymbalta works well to eliminate depression, however you shouldn't drink while on it. The only other negative about this medicine is getting off it. Do not, under any circumstances stop taking it immediately. It swings you into an extreme depression. So if and when you stop, try cutting the pill in half for a while to lower the dosage and ease yourself off."

Anonymous September 25, 2011

"Cymbalta increased my pulse rate to 110 to 120 bpm. Went back to doctors office was given beta blocker medication to decrease my heart pulse. Cymbalta also did not help with panic attack, anxiety and depression. Bad side effects especially dizziness all day long."

Anonymous September 10, 2011

"I have been on Cymbalta for depression for 3 weeks now. I have had a wide range of side effects sleeplessness, stomach cramps, loss of appetite, sweating, nausea, a constant bad taste in my mouth and a total loss of libido. I spoke to my doctor about this and he said it may take a few weeks to really kick in. I hope it hurries up. I had been on other antidepressants a few years ago with no side effects. After 2 days I feel the medicine has lifted me slightly but not as much as I would have hoped."

dirka dirka August 19, 2011

"I'm 22 years old and have had depression for 9 years. I've tried Celexa, Paxil, Zoloft, and Xanax, but nothing has helped me better than Cymbalta. The first time I took it I threw up, and had no appetite for about 4 days. But the second day of taking it, I could tell it was working. I could focus more, I could smile more, I could go out in public and not panic. And T.V shows that I'd seen before and didn't think was funny, I now watched and laughed at! Cymbalta has completely changed my life. I've been taking 60mg a day for 2 weeks now and I can't remember ever being this happy and hopeful. It's very expensive if you don't have insurance, but there are organizations out there that will help you out with your prescriptions."

ChristyN August 9, 2011

"I have been through literally 20 medications trying to find something that works and Cymbalta is the only one that really works. It (combined with my doctor's help) has saved my life."

Anonymous August 2, 2011

"I have been taking Cymbalta for almost 2 years and I have never felt better. I don't remember having any side effects, what I did notice was that I wasn't crying anymore or screaming at my children for no reason. I am very impressed with this medication."

McDuff67 August 2, 2011

"I have been taking Cymbalta for about 2 months. I started out with the 30mg and now I am taking 120mg 1x day. I take Cymbalta for Depression, Diabetic Pain, Psoriatic Arthritis Pain, Fibromyalgia, Weight Loss. But I have noticed about 3 days after starting the 120mg a day my psoriasis flared up very bad. I have not added anything new to my diet. The only different was the increase of the Cymbalta. I will keep on taking the medication at that dose. I will just keep on using a lot of creams to help with the Psoriasis rash. I must also say I have been losing a lot of Weight which is a good thing."

sweetangel187az July 29, 2011

"Did not find this drug beneficial for me. May have helped with some depression symptoms, but overall, I don't feel that it is doing anything positive for me at this point. Have been on it for almost 5 months. Find I am careless, impulsive, lazy, lethargic, etc. "

JeanetteRichter July 21, 2011

"At the beginning I had stomach pain, however, after a few weeks it went away. Feel great now!"

Anonymous July 13, 2011

"Cymbalta has given me my life back. I finally feel like me again. The loving, caring, free-spirited person I had forgotten about. I can finally function, which is so important to me. I am getting a 4.0 in college. I feel like a walking miracle! I can't believe where I am today; that a pill could literally save my life. I was so close to suicide, so violent, and so depressed. I wanted to die. I'm FINALLY HAPPY! It's sad that Cymbalta has low reviews from people withdrawing from it. I'm sure it's difficult. But does that take away from how much it helps!? I might be on it the rest of my life, who knows? "

Laugh&&Love! July 5, 2011

"Within 24 hours of taking this pill, I became sick and lost the ability to get an erection. So yeah thats fun. I have taken several antidepressants through the years and I have never experienced side effects this bad."

Anonymous June 11, 2011