User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Review by Esther-essie:

Confusion, grumpiness, memory loss, and lethargy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 3:06 PM

Review by Candy567:

Very helpful but over last year or so waining effectivness.

January 21, 2015 4:02 PM

Review by Brandy Lee Mahoney2:

I've tried many antidepressants, Effexor XR worked best for me but after complaining about back pain my doctor switched me to Cymbalta. 30mg the first week and then 60 mg. What a personality change in me. I was so aggravated all the time, very snappy. Just not myself. No energy NOTHING however this medicine did work for my back pain. I am being weaned off.

January 16, 2015 4:54 AM

Review by Pasker (taken for less than 1 month):

I am one of the luckiest one for sure. Cymbalta is only my second prescription after Mirtazapine and it did the magic for me. I love Cymbalta because it not only reduced depression but anxiety too. So its two in one. My depression has reduced a lot in just one week of use. To be honest this medication affected me after the second day of use. And its only a start, I haven't even completed 3 weeks yet. I have full hope on Cymbalta that it will make me a happy person soon. Highly recommended for people who got both depression and anxiety. Side effects are slightly annoying though. It kills my appetite which is really bad for me as I am too underweight, mild nausea in the morning, constipation and top of that insomnia. But it all worth the result.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 4:35 AM

Review by cao985:

A life saver. Stopped working after 5 months but I am fascinated how this medicine got me out of severe depression. I was praying to die every night even I am an agnostic. I was that desperate. I don't now it's still beneficial but I take 60 mg just to be cautious. I was up to 120 mg. With Cymbalta now I'm on 54 mg Concerta (wish to take Adderall but not legitimate in my country), 200 mg Lamictal and 5 mg Xanax(built up tolerance) if need be. Still in depression but not bad as the past years. If you have major depression at least give this medicine a chance.

December 23, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by Nora312:

I've suffered from anxiety and depression for years...my attitude was bad, my outlook on life was bleak, I stressed about everything and I worried constantly. I've tried several different meds like Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Citalopram but those made me feel weird and paranoid and then my anxiety increased. I almost gave up on trying to cure this mess of depression and anxiety I have but after I started on Cymbalta 3 days ago I immediately felt great! I feel so much more alive! The first day I took it I ran to the toilet and vomited but right afterward I started to feel amazing! Now I'm on day 3 and haven't experienced any nausea or vomiting at all. I had sex with my boyfriend yesterday and I climaxed as usual. Cymbalta is GREAT!

December 22, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by KEB42 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I got on Cymbalta for depression/anxiety that I had been dealing with for almost 10 years. Cymbalta helped me get myself back and feel great again. Recently, I weaned from the 60 to the 30. I noticed I was feeling very tired (despite 9 hours of sleep) and unfocused at work with low energy. Once I changed to the 30 I noticed a HUGE difference. After 5 years on Cymbalta I am weaning off the medication. Going from the 60 to 30mg was a nice transition and I am confident about weaning off it completely. Everyone has a different experience with the medicine and how it will affect them getting of it. I am glad I took this medication. It saved my life.

December 4, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by MRSDJMCW (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Have been on a cocktail of Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Cymbalta for several years for both depression, anxiety, and chronic back pain with GREAT success. Just recently I started to notice I was becoming very short tempered, easily aggravated, and irritable. My Psych gave me .5 mg of Ativan, but also decided to wean me off my Cymbalta 60 mg. The Ativan helped me immensely. Unfortunately,within 2 weeks without my Cymbalta my depression returned, I was sleeping all the time, and worst of all I felt like I could eat everything in the kitchen and still be hungry! Gained weight so quickly,and had no ambition whatsoever. I am now on my 3rd week back on Cymbalta and feeling almost back to normal thankfully! When you find what works for you, stick with it!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by realsis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've tried about 15 to 20 different antidepressants in the last 21 years. Nothing has really helped, or it would help for awhile then stop working. Cymbalta is only the second medication that is not only a SSRI but works with the dopamine in your body, that I've tried. First was Pristiq and that affected me so badly I wouldn't shower for a week. I didn't want to do anything. Now with the Cymbalta I'm more energetic and less hungry and feel much better! So far it's working out wonderfully.

November 3, 2014 5:11 PM

I was on this medication earlier this year and had to stop it because of cost and insurance. I have since been approved for medical assistance and my doctor has once again prescribed cymbalta for my anxiety and depression. I had no side effects like I did with just about every other antidepressant under the sun. This has saved my life.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Johnnie3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tried most antidepressants, and I was ready to give up. I was tired of trying antidepressants, getting sick while I waited for the positives, only to find out it didn't really help. I've tried Prozac, Paxil (good but stopped working for me), Zoloft (allergic to it), Effexor, Citalopram (worst of all). I don't know what made me ask my doctor for Cymbalta, but I did. It started working the second day I took it! I have been slowly recovering from depression and getting my life back. I hope the same for the people who read this. Never give up hope!

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by wfelici (taken for 2 to 5 years):

EXCELLENT results. Effexor became non-effective after many years of use and another life impacting event. Was recently severely depressed and suicidal for about 2 years. Found Cymbalta 2 years ago and it CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I think this medication is FANTASTIC. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder (dual diagnosed) This condition has been with me for many years (runs in the family i.e. mother was severely depressed). Cymbalta 120mg per day snapped me out of it. Under doctor's orders I discontinued current SSRI at the time and started right up with Cymbalta 120mg/day. Within 7-10 days I was out of my depressed state. It has to be the norepinephrine aspect that made the difference.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by mommagedden6 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Cymbalta about one month ago. Initially the dose was 30mg for 2 weeks and 60mg following. I cannot believe how well this has helped me. I suffered with depression and severe anxiety. I will continue this medication as I understand full benefit may not be reached for several months. Overall I am extremely satisfied with Cymbalta. My only side effects are constipation and decreased appetite which I have resolved with Miralax and eating small meals more often. I also realized the increased taste of salt during my meals which has seemed to decrease more each day.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 6:14 AM

Review by annalee66 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm suffering from Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD and PSTD. With the exception of feeling a little sick after taking it, Cymbalta had helped me after only a few days. I've tried Effexor, Zoloft, Paxil, Pristique, Prozac, Ciraplex, Seroquel, Trazodone, Amitriptyline and a few more I cant remember the names. I think everyone responds different to medications and all you can do is keep trying and not give up. My mental illness has had a negative impact on my life and ruined many personal relationships too. I have never had any medication work this fast or so well before.

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by OLou (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I took this for depression and chronic back pain. This was an extreme appetite suppressant for me. It worked somewhat for depression, but nothing fabulous. It mostly made me very, very sleepy and physically exhausted.

May 3, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Much better now:

I had mild anxiety and intermittent depression. I always pushed through and never thought of medicines. My girlfriend suggested I speak to a psych and I started Cymbalta. In 10 days I had no more intrusive thoughts talking me down, making me stressed, guilty. After 9 weeks, I'm a new man. Small things don't worry me, I am patient and calm driving, I don't wake up for toilet then stay awake worrying, my relationship is closer, I'm nicer to be with. Cons? My libido decreased and climax is harder to achieve (but more intense). The medicine felt strange (out-of-body) at first but I got used to that. I drink more water, I yawn in the afternoons, I grind my jaw a bit, get breathless, mild headaches some days. But my life is much better with this medicine.

201 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by QueenbeeG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg's for several months now. I am more relaxed and my depression is not as bad, however, I do still have down moments. I too have noticed that I have the dry mouth, yawning, not sleeping sound every night have experienced upper, underneath my ribs on my right side pain. My joints hurt in my knees.

April 15, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by My nickname is taken:

After 2 weeks (60mg/day) I am pleased with this. I had constant dysthymia, black periods lasting a few days, breaking into tears for no reason, not coping, couldn't see a way out, hopelessness. I couldn't tell my partner everything: she needs me to be strong. She knew anyway. The medicine leveled it all out. Only 2 weeks but the depression is gone. I even felt briefly euphoric today. I am easier to be around. Calmer. Negatives: a strange dissociative feeling, sort of out-of-body, as if hearing myself talk slowly, dizziness, an itchy rash on my hand, dry mouth, general tiredness, lethargy in bed in the mornings, no erectile problems, but problem reaching orgasm. If these moderate in time, then my 7/10 score will increase.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Clare Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cymbalta literally saved my life. After going through 6 psychiatrists and countless other antidepressant attempts, this is the one that finally worked. I promise that if you hold on and keep fighting something will work for you and you can heal. Depression is never permanant.

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by dani197701:

I started taking Cymbalta and I noticed a difference immediately! I felt more relaxed and happy in general. I take Lamictal for Bi-Polar disorder and after finding that medicine alone not being enough, my dr prescribed Cymbalta. I've been in a pleasant mood with my family, friends and at work. Not stressing out about leaving the house or having a busy schedule and getting anxiety about it. It has also helped with my lower back pain I have been dealing with the last 3yrs. It's only been 2 weeks and the only thing I can say is, I seem to yawn a lot and have less of an appetite. If it messes with my sex drive and lowers it... I'm off it.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by liberty69 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was previously on Lexapro, but it made me tired and unmotivated. I switched to Cymbalta one week ago and it's already working! I'm only on 30 mg but my doc may want me on a higher dose depending on how I feel after a couple weeks.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2014 1:34 PM

Review by Longboard:

I am a healthcare provider who specializes in Emergency Medicine. I had my 1st surgery 2 1/2 years ago lower Colon. 2nd surgery for entrapped Pudendal Nerve, and am still healing. Was started on Cympalta and Lyrica. Stopped Lyrica. Had severe mood swings, couldn't concentrate, severe depression with daily suicidal thoughts. 20 lb weight gain. I have not treated patients for over a year because of my symptoms. After stopping cold turkey against doctors advise I have a clear head, memory has improved and best of all suicidal thoughts are gone. I now feel safe enough to return to work and help save lives without fear of making a mistake or wrong decision that could harm others. The nerve pain is still there, but better than side effects.

February 8, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by SAD James:

Took this for seasonal depression and after a couple days my mood was a lot better. After a couple of days I actually felt what I thought was euphoria until it leveled out to normal.

January 20, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by Steph7145:

I am extremely sensitive to medications and any chemical. I get headaches from the chlorine in tap water. I was afraid to take even the lowest dose of Cymbalta, but I swear I felt happier, more talkative, and much less obsessive and less negative within the first day of taking it. By the third day I noticed that I got a little tired about 1-2 hours after taking it, but I was still pleasant to be around and nice to others. I think this is also helping with some pain I've had from a shoulder injury a while back, so that's good too. My mother also takes this for fibromyalgia and she loves it. Good luck!

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by N-git:

Tried it with the highest hopes for depression but it was awful. I am also on Ritalin for ADHD. I thought things were improving after the initial fist few weeks but pretty much in bed for a week whenever my dose was increased. So 30mg then 60mg then 90mg. I was quite suicidal at times and for the first time in a year I stayed home instead of going to work because I couldn't face people. I hid in my cocoon and fought bitterly with my partner while my parenting skills for our two year old daughter became more lax.

December 5, 2013 5:22 AM