User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I've been on Cymbalta for many years after my doctor had tried a number of antidepressant medications. It has worked wonderfully for me and kept me on an even keel since I began taking it. I am lucky that I had a good experience with this medication."

JoeLawman (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

"I was given Cymbalta to help with my pain and depression, it helped both and I felt like a new person until I developed terrible sweats, so bad they consumed my living a normal life. I was referred to an endocrinologist to determine what was causing the sweats. I was tested for everything imaginable with no clue as to what was causing my problem. This went on for about a year. I was at my whits end. I was on the internet looking at my medications and saw that Cymbalta could cause sweats. Right then I decided to stop taking Cymbalta, on my own not consulting my Dr. To my amazement within two weeks or less my sweats stopped. I am writing this because I am hoping I can help someone else who has these terrible side effects."

maydec (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2015

"I have been on Cymbalta for 6 years. I am 51 and have a family history of depression and only recently have I accepted that I may have it very long term. For those in Australia I recommend the generic version called Coperin (I get it from Priceline) which reduces the 'brain fog' of Cymbalta. I have been very happy on Cymbalta (Coperin), it changed my life. I hate that I rely on a tablet to enjoy life, but it is a small price to pay. My GP occasionally suggests I try a new drug but I always refuse. I have much improved relationships with people and it is great to have lost the anxiety which has completely disappeared. I have been on 30mg for 4 years, but am increasing to 60mg for a few weeks as I seem to be going through a bout of anxiety."

familyhistory (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2015

"Worked for 5 yrs with steadily increasing doses. At 120 mg things started to turn and depression worsened. It took over 2 months to come off it, with terrible side effect including migraines."

tuxedobird (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2015

"My experience on Cymbalta has been rather a positive one. As mentioned by others, in the first 2 weeks it does have side effects, I felt tired and was a little nauseous. I was put on Cymbalta as the entire country that I live in ran out of my previous medicine. I have suffered from anxiety, OCD and depression on and off for a few years. Since the Cymbalta has 'kicked in'', I have hardly any anxiety and no depression. I think clearly and rationally and not as emotionally as I always used to. I still do not have an appetite and I have been on this for over a month now and when I sleep, I sleep soundly and am able to fall into a deep sleep as well. I highly recommend Cymbalta and am very happy with the positive effects it has had on me."

Ginip June 13, 2015

"I went on this medication two separate times for depression and anxiety. Both times it helped a little, but still the least effective compared to other things I have tried. When I tried to increase my dose I had a 3-day long migraine. I ave to give this medication low ratings for the bad side effects and the withdrawal symptoms I am experiencing from coming off of the drug currently. I have had migraines for 6 days in a row now even though I am weaning off of the drug. I have digestion issues, am exhausted and breathless, and I am having night sweats. I hope this ends soon."

Jenlashesy June 2, 2015

"I was on Cymbalta for 2 months to treat depression and migraines after a car accident. It gave me violent dreams, a swollen tongue and suicidal daily thoughts. It helped with brain fog and pain but the symptoms were not worth it."

Sarah0210 June 2, 2015

"After the first 3 days of taking it it worked for a week. I went from a very nasty snappy man to calm and commutative. That last for about 2 wks. Now my partner says im back to being nasty and rude. Careless and snappy. Im tired all the time. Its not helping! I started at 30mg they put me up to 60mg now im back to 30mg"

Keit79 May 27, 2015

"Awful drug, didn't really do much for depression or pain, just made me numb. And good luck getting off of it, 9 weeks later and I'm still having withdrawal symptoms."

Ellen G. May 21, 2015

"Didn't work too bad, it takes some depressing feelings but also takes the good ones..... plus heat flashes/sweating were unbearable !"

Who cares? May 7, 2015

"Amazing! Best depression & anxiety medication I have been on & I have tried many. Horrible initial side effects but after 2 weeks subsided. Without a doubt completely worth it. Anxiety & depression dramatically diminished, libido back with a vengeance :) HIGHLY recommended from a person with a long history of acute anxiety & depression which was made worse by not being able to find a suitable medication until now. Best 6 months ever."

NoLongerDown April 25, 2015

"I would have rated Cymbalta a 10 if not for lowered libido & difficulty going off of it (not uncommon for most all AD's). I took for 6 years after an episode of anxiety & depression. I would still be taking it but it effect was dropping off after about 6 years so I switched meds (wish I hadn't have messed with switching but that's another story). The only side effect I noticed consistently over 6 years was decreased libido. I'm sure there were initial start up effects but I was such a nervous wreck that I either didn't notice or don't remember. It was a great med for me & I wish it still worked."

lesweet1971 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

"Works really well with little or no side effects."

StormyRed48 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2015

"I have been on SSRI since the age of 14 now I can tell you I am 42 now and have lived half my life in a fog. Feeling tierd, not interested in anything just wanting to sleep. I changed from lexapro to cymbalta a week ago and wow. I have energy I'm not like dragging myself around all day. I feel motivated - the only down fall has been hot flashes. I read cymbalta can cause that but I will deal with it as I feel as great. I have more than one emotion, I would say definately try it everyone is going to respond differently. Have had some issues waking up alot at night. But that's about it. I have to pay 200 dollars a month for this medicine but it is worth it. Good luck to you"

Tayaloxely April 6, 2015

"I had been suffering with chronic pain for years. Finally, a friend pointed out to me how depressed I was most of the time. I suppose I have been suffering from some sort of depression most of my life, but just accepted the feelings as normal or just my personality in general. Finally I found a pain specialist who put me on a very effective combination of meds, including Cymbalta. Along with morphine and percocet it has worked wonders for me. I seem to be as good now as I could ever imagine. Bouts of depression are very mild and far between each other. My pain is still there but mild enough to not effect my outlook on life. The only warning I have about taking Cymbalta is to make sure you don't run out. Missing few days is a horror"

Beware of Gods (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2015

"Been very helpful"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2015

"Have taken this medicine for over 3 years, I was previously on Pristiq. To start with at 60mg this medication worked for me pretty well for a year or so. Once I became pregnant they reduced my dose ( just to be safe) bad idea, I had a massive panic attack and feel very hopeless. They upped my dose to 60mg again which didn't seem so help so after having my boy they increased to 120mg which worked for about 3 weeks then it was as if I was taking nothing. Figure my body has just become immune. Also bad withdrawal symptoms when you miss a dose. Very dizzy, nauseous, sleepy not a nice experience unfortunately. But please remember this is just my experience with this medication not yours it could be completely different.."

Dannab23 March 15, 2015

"My gosh...I can't say enough about this medication. I suffered through a series of traumatic events one three years ago, and felt that my dulled emotions were simply situational. Eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't maintain a clean house, missed deadlines, isolated myself from friends and others, and would pray that I wouldn't wake up some mornings. This is the first antidepressant I've tried, 30mg dose. Aside from slight appetite suppression, I've experienced no side effects. I've been on it almost a week, and I notice I awaken without that heavy depressive weight on my chest. The feelings of failure, the crying jags, and the crippling anxiety are diminishing already."

DifferentPlight (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

"Cymbalta helped me so much. I was suffered severe depression after a very rough time in my life. I began taking 30mg, which worked for a few months, but my anxiety and depression were beginning to get worse. My doctor raised me to 60mg, and at first it made me very nauseous, dizzy, and just sick for a few days, but after that, I felt like a new person. I had energy, I was happy, and once again back to myself, the girl I was before depression consumed me. I was on Cymbalta for 3 years, until I got pregnant and had to immediately quit. The withdrawals were terrible, considering you're usually weaned off of this medication. Overall, Cymbalta is a wonderful medication for depression."

Sam J March 9, 2015

"Well, ive been taking antidepressants every since i was 17 years old, im 37 today. I wont lie to you. I abuse cymbalta by skipping a few days and restarting it again. I get very grumpy on the inbetween days when i dont take it. But when i finally do, whoa mama!!! All the sudden i believe in god, and hes touching me with all his love. Cymbalta made me not fear the dentist either. I went in there and had 28 of my teeth removed. I had bad teeth from not brushing as a kid. Not doing drugs. The only drugs i do are antidepressants. So yeah. Cymbalta changed my life. Good drug. Highly recommend"

dase (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2015

"I took this medicine for about 5 years in addition to Lithium for bipolar 2. It was good for depression and anxiety, but I found I was tired a lot, and if I got a bad nights sleep (which was often) my mood could drop or I could become slightly hypomanic."

bry188uk (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2015

"Confusion, grumpiness, memory loss, and lethargy."

Esther-essie February 24, 2015

"Loved this medication when I first started taking it. I started taking to get through depression and my Father was dying of cancer. Thought it was the best medicine ever until I gained 50lbs within 5 months and the effect of the medication started to wear off. What was worse was the effects of getting off this medicine, vertigo for a month with migraine headache and what I call brain buzz for a month straight, that was tough perhaps worse than having depression. I wouldn't have taken it had I read the reviews first."

Lukins February 11, 2015

"After following multiple combat tours I damaged my rotator cuff on my last tour and was exposed to close impact of mortar/ rocket impacts. Upon my return home, I was diagnosed with minor bruising on my brain, &torn rotator cuff. Later tests found pulmonary embolisms requiring u hospitalization & lead to a botched lumbar surgery & lumbar fusion failure. Leaving me in constant pain. The pain aggregated PTSD, after trying multiple depression meds, Cymbalta 60mg twice a day helped control the depression. However, chronic pain still required pain meds. Prior to the Cymbalta, my depression continued even with pain medications. Once adding Cymbalta (after taking it for weeks), my depression was manageable. Diazepam as needed helps w/ panic attack"

PTSD Paul (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 4, 2015

"Very helpful but over last year or so waining effectivness."

Candy567 January 21, 2015