User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I've been on Cymbalta since 2002 and it's changed my life. I haven't had a depressive episode since I've been on it. My sex life is ruined, however. A common side affect for these kinds of meds."

Brightster May 21, 2016

"Over the years, I have tried a lot of different antidepressants. Some have been absolutely terrible for me and others have been alright, but Cymbalta has been life changing. I was initially very worried about taking Cymbalta after all of the horror stories, but it has worked wonders for me. It really is an amazing drug!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"Cymalta has definitely helped me as far as depression and anxiety. Its the only medication that's worked so far. The only problem I've had with it is that it takes away my ability to orgasm and my sex drive in general"

Aspenray88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"I had started with Prozac (20mg) about 4 months ago but it wasn't steadily effective and I felt worse the week before my period... it would also make me tired during the day. The doctor switched me to Cymbalta while weaning me off Prozac as such: - week 1: take 20mg capsule of Prozac with 30mg capsule of Cymbalta a day - week 2: take 30mg capsule of Cymbalta a day - week 3: take 60mg capsule of Cymbalta capsule a day going forth I felt great with Cymbalta just on my first week: more energy, felt kind of high like on E but in a good way...just happy. I experienced a few days of insomnia my first week which which I battled with Melatonin an hour before bed (10mg). I experienced headaches for a few days but that also went away. Feel great!!"

Desertflower123 May 10, 2016

"I'm going to jump right into the fact that this medication is just not helpful, it takes away my personality, and has brought a lot of suicidal thoughts to mind. I am on 60 my capsule and the way it makes me feel is very empty. I don't feel like I have control of my thoughts and happiness"

Angela Christine May 2, 2016

"Cymbalta saved my life 2 times. I've been taking those pills (60 mg) for both cases of depression. Everytime this drug worked like a miracle on me. It made me come back to normal. I have felt almost none side effects. First week, just diahrrea, some ticklings and a bit of tinitus. Nothing annoying at all. Then, everything went to normal again. I'm here in part thanks to Cymbalta."

Durauguiru (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2016

"I was prescribed Cymbalta for postpartum depression.What I really needed was sleep.I was after having a c-section and taking care of three kids and no help.Now I have been on this drug for 9 years. I have tried several times to get off it. I feel like it has a choke hold around my neck. I am a registered nurse and work full time. I still get depressed while on this drug. When I try to get off it I have suicidal thoughts along with a long list of withdrawal symptoms. I wish I was never put on this nasty drug."

boardwalk70 April 30, 2016

"I have suffered from severe depression for over 20 years. Cymbalta the only one thing that has kept me going and feeling normal. I still have a little depression but by far I am way better less breakdown and crying and sadness. Just make sure you have your doctor check your liver. I have not had any liver issues but some people have reported it. Give it a try it is work for me and I know some people out there saying it's the worst but for me it has been a lifesaver"

Colorado Native (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

"I would give cymbalta a 10/10 however I have not been on it long enough to give it a perfect score. I have tried Prozac as well as wellbutrin to help cope with my crippling depression but they just didn't do the job. Before cymbalta I was easily aggitated, hating the world around me, and contemplating suicide. Now it is like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'm not irritated by small things anymore. I have more motivation. The only downside is have had is some insomnia but it should pass. Don't be scared by all the negative reviews. I was until I took it for myself. Everyone is different however you will have to try it for yourself to know. I take 30 milligrams once a day in the morning."

Dmhoward April 23, 2016

"The worst decision I have ever made was agreeing to go on this drug. I had no idea about SSRI's and the effects they can have on you and your life. For the first year, I would have recommended it to anyone dealing with depression and anxiety like myself..but that was at a time when I mistaked the numbness for satisfaction. Just over 2 years down the line and I am falling apart. This drug has ruined my life. First I realised the fog I was in. Then came the vertigo and confusion. My memory has deteriorated. Zero sex drive since day one. My depression has worsened and I no longer recognise who I am anymore. My personality has changed drastically and my anxiety is worse than its ever been. I am now weaning off it but the damage has been done."

DoNOTputYourselfThroughThisHel (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

"On the 10 day of 30 mg. I woke to a miracle . No chronic pain in my whole entire body for the first time in years. For years I suffered hour after hour with 4 and 5 in my back. Body pain so bad I was on Norco for years. Nothing has been more effective to my pain and depression as this medicine. I hope more physicians prescribe this medicine for these reasons. I have my life back."

Liz4444 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

"For over 20 years I've used antidepressants and this by far is the best I've ever used however there are some downsides I'm constantly hungry all d time I've put on 2stone which is giving me another problem to deal with cause that doesn't make me feel good and excessive sweating I've reduced my dose with doctors supervision to try help these side affects and the tiredness is sooo bad but I've definitely had little or no anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2016

"Was given since having major depression in August (this is March). I have arthritis which pain has gotten much worse, fibromyalgia worse, brain fog, very weird dreams. I awoke at 2 or 3 and can't get back to sleep. During day I fight to stay awake. I have started having a very bad temper and feel angry all the time. Eye sight blurry, clumsy. I see the GP tomorrow for a different reason (or is it?) and will demand to be taken off of this. I feel this should be taken off the market, it's side effects are horrible!"

MINNALOUSH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2016

"I took 1 30mg capsule of Cymbalta yesterday. That will be the only dose of this medicine I will take. I had to leave work yesterday because of how sick to my stomach it made me. I felt jittery and lightheaded all day. I didn't take it this morning. I haven't felt jittery , but I have been extremely lightheaded and have had a headache all day. All that from one dose. I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. The only other one that made my head feel like this was Prozac and I didn't stay on it long. Having a job, I can't afford to be sick from side effects. I will be calling the Dr. tomorrow and telling her I want to try something else. Also, I have head a lot of reviews about this drug and most that I have read are not very good."

Shell41 March 6, 2016

"Unusual tiredness and loss in stamina"

Frinks (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"Cymbalta 120mg for 4 months Good: - slight to moderate increase in motivation, mental energy and attention/alertness. - decrease in anxiety and depressive feelings. Bad: - made me less social, less empathetic and more robotic. - horrible withdrawal symptoms which happen quickly if you forget to take it. - when my dosage was increased from 30mg to 60mg, it started to give me nightmares at night and caused me to wake up in middle of the night and lose sleep. Conclusion: Better positive cognitive experience than 10mg Escitalopram which other than positively affecting my mood, all it did was cause constant brain fogs and decrease my motivation even further."

Heinstar (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

"Horrible drug. Didn't help me with depression ( made it even worse) , didn't help with anxiety."

April _24 February 28, 2016

"Ive been on this medication about 3 months. At first I was scared to take it. The reviews are terrible but i have tried alot of other meds without success. I started off taking it at night but I would wake up so sore that i didnt want to move the next day. So i switched to taking it in the mornings and that symptom went away. I also had constipation pretty bad the first month but that symptom went away too. My husband noticed a change in me first. The side effects eventually went away. I upped my prescription from 30mg to 60mg after one month. Some side effects came back but again they eventually went away. I have to say this has been the best depression medicine I have been on for depression. But it hasnt done much for my social anxiety."

Starintheskyla February 24, 2016

"At the moment I've only had one dose of this 30mg Cymbalta. I've woken up from a 6 hr sleep feeling like I want to pass out and chest getting pounding. Is this normal"

Chris.cym February 17, 2016

"I was on the meds 2014 . I noticed black marks on My arms an legs unusual. I stopped taking it the marks went away. After suffering many traumatized events I went back on last year to find more random black marks on my body. I'm not sure if it's working for depression. I'm still sad most days. I also have constant headaches. mood swings. Still high pain levels. Depression runs deep. I know I need something just scared to try the list. SMH"

Ledfoot February 17, 2016

"This was the third medication I tried for my depression and anxiety. I'm not going to lie, the entire time I was on it I felt like I was on Ecstasy 24/7. Everything was rainbows and sunshine and I felt so euphoric and amazing and warm and fuzzy. However, I had the nastiest headaches constantly, and they came on as soon as I'd take the meds. Almost the entire time I felt so nauseous and I had migraines and it didn't let up. I switched at my monthly appointment because the headaches made the euphoria not worth it."

Ashley Savage (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"Many failed attempts on depression meds and lapsed into severe depression, suicidal thoughts, head to toe severe pain psychiatrist put me on 120mg of Cymbalta a day. Boom the pain and depression were gone. Instant relief, it was a godsend but I very quickly realized that the depression was not actually gone. It had shifted it into my anger/frustration emotion controllers, which for the most part I could deal with but after a few years the side effects add up. I have the horrible next few months of coming off this drug but need to as I now have insomnia, chaotic dreams, extreme lethargy and suicidal thoughts which you don't feel like acting on but still have. It does work but it is not a long term solution and I should have changed yrs ago."

Was looking for answers lol (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 9, 2016

"I have spent a long time trying to find the right cocktail of meds since I was diagnosed with BPD, Bipolar, Depression and anxiety. Currently I'm taking 100mg of Lamactal, 50mg Cymbalta and 50mg of Trazadone. I feel awesome! I'm not as moody, I'm happy. It's a shame that I have to switch medications because I LOVE my mood, however the sexual side effects are just something I cant take. My NP is putting me on Viiebyd instead of the Cymbalta and from reading the reviews, I'm nervous about it. If the new medication dosnt work for me, I will go back to the cocktail I was taking and figure something out with the sexual side effects"

clenti (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

"Cymbalta has turned my life upside down. I was on the awful excuse for a medication for a year and a half taking 100mg every day. Over the past four months I have been weaned off of it by my doctor and 10 days ago was my last dose. I will never ever take that nasty drug ever again. The withdrawals are excruciating. I am absolutely miserable. Even after ten days I am still experiencing the following: nausea, dizziness, fevers, chills, emotional roller coasters, random crying, brain zaps, irritability, loss of appetite, loss of interest to do daily activities, anger, vomiting, isolation, aches and pains in my bones and high levels of anxiety. I feel as if these feelings are never going to end. "

Miserable Person February 2, 2016

"Worked for me at a time I had slipped into suicidal ideations. I have a rheumatological disorder that has no cure, & the treatment is dangerous (steroids most of the time); I have severe anxiety; do not know from a day to the following how I will feel or if I will accomplish small tasks, forget about holding a job. This helped anxiety, suicide thoughts, the horrible feelings of major depression, fear, & pain. It is important to read about the medications you should not take with this. Start slowly & have patience. Appears that more medications tried, the easier this is to get acclimated to."

RegisterLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016