User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

"I have spent a long time trying to find the right cocktail of meds since I was diagnosed with BPD, Bipolar, Depression and anxiety. Currently I'm taking 100mg of Lamactal, 50mg Cymbalta and 50mg of Trazadone. I feel awesome! I'm not as moody, I'm happy. It's a shame that I have to switch medications because I LOVE my mood, however the sexual side effects are just something I cant take. My NP is putting me on Viiebyd instead of the Cymbalta and from reading the reviews, I'm nervous about it. If the new medication dosnt work for me, I will go back to the cocktail I was taking and figure something out with the sexual side effects"

clenti (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

"Cymbalta has turned my life upside down. I was on the awful excuse for a medication for a year and a half taking 100mg every day. Over the past four months I have been weaned off of it by my doctor and 10 days ago was my last dose. I will never ever take that nasty drug ever again. The withdrawals are excruciating. I am absolutely miserable. Even after ten days I am still experiencing the following: nausea, dizziness, fevers, chills, emotional roller coasters, random crying, brain zaps, irritability, loss of appetite, loss of interest to do daily activities, anger, vomiting, isolation, aches and pains in my bones and high levels of anxiety. I feel as if these feelings are never going to end. "

Miserable Person February 2, 2016

"Worked for me at a time I had slipped into suicidal ideations. I have a rheumatological disorder that has no cure, & the treatment is dangerous (steroids most of the time); I have severe anxiety; do not know from a day to the following how I will feel or if I will accomplish small tasks, forget about holding a job. This helped anxiety, suicide thoughts, the horrible feelings of major depression, fear, & pain. It is important to read about the medications you should not take with this. Start slowly & have patience. Appears that more medications tried, the easier this is to get acclimated to."

RegisterLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"After battling dysthymia alternating with moderate anxiety for years and trying all sorts of natural means to treat it, I slipped into major depression. I was prescribed a low dose of Cymbalta--20 mg. After taking just two pills over three days, it has been one awful drug trip. I'm hoping for the heavy, dizzy feeling of pressure on my brain to end. The lethargy, nausea and chills have also been bad. I have two children, one of whom stayed home sick while I was on this, and I could barely care for her. It killed my appetite, which I didn't think would be a bad thing, but when you only feel like eating a banana and an orange all day, it becomes a problem. I'm looking forward to "just" feeling depressed again."

Margret65 January 16, 2016

"I rarely have side effects to medication. In fact, I think there is only one other drug I have been on that I have had a side effect from other than this and trust me, I have been on more than I can even count. But this one, was AWFUL. Within the first day I was shaky, my heart was racing, and I felt dizzy if I stood up quickly, but what was even worse was the insomnia! I thought I could get used to the medication but 5 days later and it still wasn't any better. My doctor gave me trazodone to help me sleep but the other side effects were still there so I went off it after 2 weeks."

melllllllloo (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"Tried it for 2 days and felt like a zombie took the pain away from my body but made me feel like a controller . I would not recommend this medication to anybody. It seems like they want to take us off opiates and give us government induced mind altering drugs do not take this drug at any cost"

Perry Ramone (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

"It helps but not all the time I take 30 mg once a day."

Addies mamaw December 25, 2015

"I just started this medication two days ago and felt the effects within the same day. It was an absolute miracle like a curse was lifted off of me. I'll have to wait a few weeks and be observant of its effects, which so far have only been decrease in appetite. All in all this drug saved my life"

Vines December 23, 2015

"Cymbalta has been amazing for me. I started taking 60 mg a year ago for serve depression, I felt improvement in my mood after just 3 days, it took about 3 weeks to fully kick in. I felt amazing for the first time in about 10 years. After I began feeling better I was amazed to think about how long I had been depressed. Food tasted better, the sun shone brighter and I had tons of energy. I am still on cymbalta 60 mg a day and have noticed a drop in energy in the last couple of months so I am going to talk to my doctor but I have no depression and love this medicine it saved my life."

Stop and smell the flowers! (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2015

"I started Cymbalta over a month ago. I have been on at least six other Depression medications in the past. Before this medicine, my Depression was so bad I couldn't go to work without losing it. I was unemployed for two months to take time away to get help with Depression. I spent a week in the hospital because I was ready to kill myself and felt like I didn't have a purpose for being here. I learned a lot about myself in the hospital, it was one of the best things I could of done for myself. As of today I am a month free of Depression. Where before I couldn't go minutes without major Depression. I have energy and motivation again. I do have a decreased appetitie on this medication. I take it once in the morning and at night."

Hope and a purpose (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

"It worked for me at first day of treatment because I have lethargic depression it helped almost and made me feel energetic at first dose"

Surfaraz December 9, 2015

"32. F. After a couple of years refusing medication, adjusting to an interstate shift proved more difficult than planned, so about a month ago, decided to give these a try at the suggestion of my Dr. Took the first one in the evening after dinner as directed. By 10pm I was feeling achey, cold sweats, couldn't keep my legs still in bed and nauseas as hell. Within another 25 minutes the nausea turned into violent vomiting. And incredibly restless nights sleep. Dr said to stop immediately. I've not attempted another type again since, and don't think I intend to."

15Anonymous15 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2015

"My boyfriend of 6 years began taking Cymbalta 2 years, ago to deal with a bout of depression. He has completely lost all libido and he went through a terrible period of sweating - he dripped like a faucet from his armpits at times. He has lost his joy of eating, and has no appetite. He has lost 40 lbs and really did not need to. His initial "feel good" period in this time has worn off and he is like a robot. His doctor GP, wants to up the dosage. I want him off and I want my boyfriend back. He is like a completely different person."

frustrated friend (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

"Been on it for three days I am starting to feel good again . first day was sick to my stomach and had very nervous feeling but second day was better it makes you sweat really easy but worth it so far I feel like getting back to my old self happy again making small steps but really is working with little side effects after two days. very hopeful!!!"

hammer 1968 November 3, 2015

"Dont like this medication at all. I have MS and i started taking this for depression/anxiety about a month ago and i must say i will not take another pill as of today! This is a terrible medication, it gives you the weirdest nightmares! And thats when you can finally sleep! Avoid this medication at all cost and anything like it"

Jay1045 October 26, 2015

"I've been taking Cymbalta for about 3 months now, and I can tell a drastic change in my overall mood, stress levels, pain levels and energy. I started out on the 30mg, but requested an increase to 60mg after talking to my doctor. It was a great decision and I'm finally beginning to feel the effects. I wake up smiling. Something I never thought I would do! And the good mood continues throughout the day. I also have chronic pain in my back, and I have noticed that the pain which was a level 7 out of 10, is now about a 3. Amazing! That in itself is enough to keep me in a good mood. It was a bit difficult the first 2 months with the side effects and finding a good dose, but it is worth it in the end for sure."

Danigirl123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2015

"I was on Cymbalta for years but became incredibly exhausted. Doc said the accumulation of using drug so long can lead to tiredness also weight gain. Promptly changed drugs to Wellbutrin, epitec and aspen trazodone. Felt amazing and lost almost 15kg. Wellbutrin started causing tremors so now Replaced Wellbutrin with Brintellix and gaining weight sadly as great drug"

Lucy Clare October 15, 2015

"I was depressed, (no motivation, lack of pleasure) for a full year before trying Cymbalta. It made me feel like my old happy self again. Works very well for me, a cure for my depression."

Dozer (JoJo) October 13, 2015

"the worst drug I have ever taken in my life! Withdrawal is hard work. I googled and read more about Cymbalta Discontinuation Syndrome Food and Drug administrationon "

Kl2754 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2015

"I was first on AD's 13yrs ago after a marriage breakup and was prescribed an SSRI to cope (cannot remember what is was) The side effects of it were lots of small annoying shocks a minute in my ears...akin to adrenaline when startled. I figured it the trade-off on coping and gaining back 'normality. A chance discussion on the 'shocks' with a GP 'off the record' led to an eventual diagnosis of Adult ADD which I had struggled with since an early age. Have since met and married my soul mate. Jump forward to this yr- stresses and issues in the workplace bring about a diagnosis of anxiety and depression and prescribed a NRSI (Cymbalta). currently 60mg. Missing a dose from running out brings back the 'shocks' in my ears which I have not read of."

Analysis Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2015

"The initial side effects were horrible. I felt exhausted and nauseated all the time. After a month I noticed a dramatic improvement in my mood. I had energy, I was less depressed and anxious. Prior starting Cymbalta had tried two different antidepressants which did not seem to be effective. The decreased libido with cymbalta is worth having my life back."

Gaetzton (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2015

"This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I took it at night on the first day and woke up at around 3 am feeling nauseous and just plain gross. I figured my body was just adjusting, so I took the next dose the following night. Within hours my arms and legs were in pain, it felt like I was laying on a bed of nails. I had numbness in my arms and legs for a a few days too. Needless to say I discontinued the medicine immediately."

Anon0000 October 4, 2015

"I began taking this medication a week ago. The first and second day were great, no noticeable side effects other than the fact that I was happy and full of energy. The third day I began noticing that my emotions were very easy coming. One sad thing would make me tear up. I also noticed weakness in my left arm. I am only 21 years old and have been on some type of antidepressant since 18 years old. This is the first to make my arm feel this way. Please let me know if anyone else has left arm weakness."

sbevel (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

"I started Cymbalta for major depression and suicidal ideation (no plan). It worked. Took as much as 90mg at my high point. I"m now tapering down to 30 mg. Going from 3 pills a day to 1 pill a week is hard but manageable. But the side effects for this drug are real. Dizziness, blurry vision, constipation to runs. I would say for me, I could work through them because I wanted to live. The tapering has started aura migraines which are close to unbearable but I get through it. I say close because I almost felt like going to the ER once. I've slept 2 days straight trying to overcome an aura migraine. No light, sound, food, or blankets. If you were in my place over a year ago, taking Cymbalta would have been a no brainer."

Bippie (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2015

"GOODBYE SEX DRIVE! -.- Besides my sex drive dropping from over 9000 to 0, this did nothing to help my depression. I was upped to the 60mg. I can't wait for my next doctors appt. I want OFF of this "anti-depressant" that doesn't do anything but make me more annoyed than usual, killed my drive, and I still have crying spells. There has got to be something out there that can get along with my body. If you love/enjoy your sex life, DO NOT take this drug."

NerdSugar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2015