User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Depression

Review by Johnnie3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tried most antidepressants, and I was ready to give up. I was tired of trying antidepressants, getting sick while I waited for the positives, only to find out it didn't really help. I've tried Prozac, Paxil (good but stopped working for me), Zoloft (allergic to it), Effexor, Citalopram (worst of all). I don't know what made me ask my doctor for Cymbalta, but I did. It started working the second day I took it! I have been slowly recovering from depression and getting my life back. I hope the same for the people who read this. Never give up hope!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by wfelici (taken for 2 to 5 years):

EXCELLENT results. Effexor became non-effective after many years of use and another life impacting event. Was recently severely depressed and suicidal for about 2 years. Found Cymbalta 2 years ago and it CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I think this medication is FANTASTIC. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder (dual diagnosed) This condition has been with me for many years (runs in the family i.e. mother was severely depressed). Cymbalta 120mg per day snapped me out of it. Under doctor's orders I discontinued current SSRI at the time and started right up with Cymbalta 120mg/day. Within 7-10 days I was out of my depressed state. It has to be the norepinephrine aspect that made the difference.

September 29, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by mommagedden6 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Cymbalta about one month ago. Initially the dose was 30mg for 2 weeks and 60mg following. I cannot believe how well this has helped me. I suffered with depression and severe anxiety. I will continue this medication as I understand full benefit may not be reached for several months. Overall I am extremely satisfied with Cymbalta. My only side effects are constipation and decreased appetite which I have resolved with Miralax and eating small meals more often. I also realized the increased taste of salt during my meals which has seemed to decrease more each day.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 6:14 AM

Review by annalee66 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm suffering from Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD and PSTD. With the exception of feeling a little sick after taking it, Cymbalta had helped me after only a few days. I've tried Effexor, Zoloft, Paxil, Pristique, Prozac, Ciraplex, Seroquel, Trazodone, Amitriptyline and a few more I cant remember the names. I think everyone responds different to medications and all you can do is keep trying and not give up. My mental illness has had a negative impact on my life and ruined many personal relationships too. I have never had any medication work this fast or so well before.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by OLou (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I took this for depression and chronic back pain. This was an extreme appetite suppressant for me. It worked somewhat for depression, but nothing fabulous. It mostly made me very, very sleepy and physically exhausted.

May 3, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Much better now:

I had mild anxiety and intermittent depression. I always pushed through and never thought of medicines. My girlfriend suggested I speak to a psych and I started Cymbalta. In 10 days I had no more intrusive thoughts talking me down, making me stressed, guilty. After 9 weeks, I'm a new man. Small things don't worry me, I am patient and calm driving, I don't wake up for toilet then stay awake worrying, my relationship is closer, I'm nicer to be with. Cons? My libido decreased and climax is harder to achieve (but more intense). The medicine felt strange (out-of-body) at first but I got used to that. I drink more water, I yawn in the afternoons, I grind my jaw a bit, get breathless, mild headaches some days. But my life is much better with this medicine.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by QueenbeeG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg's for several months now. I am more relaxed and my depression is not as bad, however, I do still have down moments. I too have noticed that I have the dry mouth, yawning, not sleeping sound every night have experienced upper, underneath my ribs on my right side pain. My joints hurt in my knees.

April 15, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by My nickname is taken:

After 2 weeks (60mg/day) I am pleased with this. I had constant dysthymia, black periods lasting a few days, breaking into tears for no reason, not coping, couldn't see a way out, hopelessness. I couldn't tell my partner everything: she needs me to be strong. She knew anyway. The medicine leveled it all out. Only 2 weeks but the depression is gone. I even felt briefly euphoric today. I am easier to be around. Calmer. Negatives: a strange dissociative feeling, sort of out-of-body, as if hearing myself talk slowly, dizziness, an itchy rash on my hand, dry mouth, general tiredness, lethargy in bed in the mornings, no erectile problems, but problem reaching orgasm. If these moderate in time, then my 7/10 score will increase.

March 24, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Clare Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cymbalta literally saved my life. After going through 6 psychiatrists and countless other antidepressant attempts, this is the one that finally worked. I promise that if you hold on and keep fighting something will work for you and you can heal. Depression is never permanant.

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by dani197701:

I started taking Cymbalta and I noticed a difference immediately! I felt more relaxed and happy in general. I take Lamictal for Bi-Polar disorder and after finding that medicine alone not being enough, my dr prescribed Cymbalta. I've been in a pleasant mood with my family, friends and at work. Not stressing out about leaving the house or having a busy schedule and getting anxiety about it. It has also helped with my lower back pain I have been dealing with the last 3yrs. It's only been 2 weeks and the only thing I can say is, I seem to yawn a lot and have less of an appetite. If it messes with my sex drive and lowers it... I'm off it.

February 18, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by liberty69 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was previously on Lexapro, but it made me tired and unmotivated. I switched to Cymbalta one week ago and it's already working! I'm only on 30 mg but my doc may want me on a higher dose depending on how I feel after a couple weeks.

February 14, 2014 1:34 PM

Review by Longboard:

I am a healthcare provider who specializes in Emergency Medicine. I had my 1st surgery 2 1/2 years ago lower Colon. 2nd surgery for entrapped Pudendal Nerve, and am still healing. Was started on Cympalta and Lyrica. Stopped Lyrica. Had severe mood swings, couldn't concentrate, severe depression with daily suicidal thoughts. 20 lb weight gain. I have not treated patients for over a year because of my symptoms. After stopping cold turkey against doctors advise I have a clear head, memory has improved and best of all suicidal thoughts are gone. I now feel safe enough to return to work and help save lives without fear of making a mistake or wrong decision that could harm others. The nerve pain is still there, but better than side effects.

February 8, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by SAD James:

Took this for seasonal depression and after a couple days my mood was a lot better. After a couple of days I actually felt what I thought was euphoria until it leveled out to normal.

January 20, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by Steph7145:

I am extremely sensitive to medications and any chemical. I get headaches from the chlorine in tap water. I was afraid to take even the lowest dose of Cymbalta, but I swear I felt happier, more talkative, and much less obsessive and less negative within the first day of taking it. By the third day I noticed that I got a little tired about 1-2 hours after taking it, but I was still pleasant to be around and nice to others. I think this is also helping with some pain I've had from a shoulder injury a while back, so that's good too. My mother also takes this for fibromyalgia and she loves it. Good luck!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by N-git:

Tried it with the highest hopes for depression but it was awful. I am also on Ritalin for ADHD. I thought things were improving after the initial fist few weeks but pretty much in bed for a week whenever my dose was increased. So 30mg then 60mg then 90mg. I was quite suicidal at times and for the first time in a year I stayed home instead of going to work because I couldn't face people. I hid in my cocoon and fought bitterly with my partner while my parenting skills for our two year old daughter became more lax.

December 5, 2013 5:22 AM

Review by JMsr:

I was on cymbalta 60mg for 18 months. I've been on many different antidepressants throughout the years. My issue is not when you take it but when you go off. Please do not take this medicine. I've gone through hell the last 12 days getting this drug out of my system. Google cymbalta withdrawal or cymbalta discontinuation syndrome to learn more.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by richirfirefly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Changed from effexor to Cymbalta for secondary reasons other than its intended use and it works wonders.

October 27, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by smonroe:

Taking it for both fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder. Works great for me!! I no longer have insurance so I get it thru the drug company.

October 27, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by Willy G:

I have been taking different medicines for depression for the last 20 years. I have tried almost everything and Wellbutrin is the only thing that has even helped me. I have noticed only a very minor improvement but it is better than no improvement. I was advised to take Cymbalta with it. Even with my insurance, it still costs me $50 a month! I tried it for 3 months with no noticeable change. I can't afford to waste money on something that may or may not work. I figured for that much money, this drug should be very good. At least the Wellbutrin only costs me $10 a month and I do get some noticeable help from it.

October 21, 2013 2:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I don't feel like this made too much of a difference and was prescribed to replace Zoloft which I believe was better but made me gain a lot of weight. Getting off of Cymbalta was very hard, although I followed my doctors instructions and decreased very gradually, by the end I had to start taking motion sickness pills due to the dizziness and nausea I experienced from the withdrawals. I also experienced headaches and felt like my eyes would cross every time I took a step. Getting onto it was super easy, I went from 60mg-120mg pretty quickly, and I lowered it from 120-90-60-30 over the course of about 2 months and still dealt with these withdrawal effects.

October 8, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by tlw2930 (taken for less than 1 month):

I love Cymbalta! I take it with 150mg of Wellbutrin XL. I am on 30mg at this time and in another week my Dr. wants me to up it to 60mg. I finally feel happy and have lots of energy. Combined with the Wellbutrin I have not gained any weight. Life is finally good again.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by lisalevidaisybob:

I cried everyday for three months due to uncontrollable pain from rheumatoid arthritis. I was also suffering from severe depression as a result. The first time I took Cymbalta,, 30 mg, I noticed I no longer felt defeated and felt for the first time since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that the pain was at times manageable. It helped give me hope. It's been almost three months since I started Cymbalta and it is still working well. I'm super thankful my doctor recommended it.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by JanetM416 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am on 30mg twice daily for depression and fibromyalgia. I have been extremely fatigued! I am also having episodes of doing things and not remembering and also passed out on the floor, but have no recollection of anything. All I want to do is sleep and if not for having a toddler at home and three children that I have to get off to school and one to work, I would probably just stay in bed sleeping all day and night. I'm hoping that this side effect wears off soon because otherwise they are helping a lot with my mood and depression. I was on Wellbutrin and it wasn't working, I had extreme episodes of crying and anger issues.

August 28, 2013 5:50 AM

Review by Ash239487 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer from mild depression and back pain associated with scoliosis. I hoped Cymbalta could help. It did not help me. Initially (first few days), it was positive mentally, despite side effects: headache, nausea, then bad anxiety. As I took it more, I just started to feel not like myself, lethargic and weak. I almost felt too calm and didn't care. I can see how this might be helpful to those that are severely depressed. I am not. I'm sharing my experience because if you only suffer from minor blues, I would not recommend a strong anti-depressant. I told my doctor it was minor, yet he prescribed me 60 mg immediately. I gave it a month and felt worse each day.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2013 12:47 PM

Review by woodleaf:

Been on most antidepressants and ended up with mirtazapine, which although very good does make you really fat. Cut dose right down but then the old feeling of depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings came back. My psych doc. put me on Cymbalta (after a roundabout of others that I couldn't cope with) and Cymbalta works. 30mg is lovely but 60mg way to strong for me. Blurred vision, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, etc., etc. So went back to 30mg and now feel great, I do take half a mirtazapine at night to help me sleep and don't know if its the combination or just the Cymbalta (as half a mirtazapine is a very tiny dose) working. It has taken about 3 months for it to fully kick in but now feel hopefully optimistic and more at ease about life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 2:32 PM