User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Monodox, Morgidox, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Rosacea

Review by red eyes & blepharitis (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I've had what they said was blepharitis all of my life. It started spreading under a lower eyelid so I went to a dermatologist (after spending hundreds at an opthamologist and him putting me on several antibiotics and eyedrops). She put me on Oracea and it made it so much better; even the bloodshot, scratchy eyes. The only drawback is that it has given me severe heartburn, which I've never had before.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 23, 2014 3:26 PM
Review by TinnerW: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): This medication combined with Finacea cream saved my skin! I was having terrible localized breakouts that would leave bad scars. Once I started religiously using Oracea and Finacea (to help with redness) my skin looks amazing, I rarely need to wear makeup now. Only downside is it makes my lips sensitive. The tend to look swollen- which is not such a bad thing. I would recommend this to anyone dealing with Rosacea.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 2, 2014 10:12 PM
Review by CincyDeb (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Monodox (doxycycline): I developed Rosacea when I was pregnant with my first child (at age 39). I never had skin issues before, even as a teenager. I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Papulopustular Rosacea (acne plus redness). My doctor prescribed Monodox and it has worked WONDERS! Within a week, almost all the pimples/bumps were gone. GONE! I only hope that once I finish up the medication (60 days), it won't all come back. The downside is the cost. Thankfully, my doctor gave me a discount card from the manufacturer that allows me to buy it for $10 per month. Otherwise, it was $225 for 60 day supply.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 16, 2014 2:19 PM
Review by Nita1214: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): LOVE LOVE LOVE Oracea! 2 weeks and I already notice a great improvement in my eyes. I have mild rosacea on my face (red nose sometimes) but it was the ocular rosacea that prompted me to seek help. I thought my eyes were just red from my contacts but my ophthalmologist said it was ocular rosacea. I was devastated- I do not want to lose my vision! So far, so good- my eyes feel 100% better, my stress level is down & I'm starting to feel "normal" again! I guess I'm lucky because I haven't experienced any of the side effects (yet). Hopefully it'll stay that way. Oracea is my new best friend.

November 23, 2013 9:24 AM
Review by Kristaaaaaaaa: User Rating:

doxycycline: I started taking doxycycline one month ago and within 3 days my acne, rosacea was gone and it never came back. My doctor told me it would not help with the redness at all, but it did. I could honestly just cry. I am THAT happy with this medication. It also soothed my very dry eyes that I think was due to the rosacea as well. Take note however, that this stuff is REALLY hard on your stomach if you take it without eating. I get dizzy and dry heave. All in all, I want to hug my doxycycline because it changed my life.

August 13, 2013 11:57 AM
Review by HGdeB: User Rating:

doxycycline: I've been struggling with Rosacea for a long time. Skipped the red vein part and went straight for the pimples, boils. Later purple thickness and seborrheic eczema came with it too. I did not like the idea of using antibiotics. Don't like the thought of treatment resistant bacteria as a result. But, I had to take something. First night after taking doxycycline, I woke several times, because of extreme itching. Everytime I went to the bathroom and saw my face in the mirror that night, it looked already a bit better. The pain Rosacea brought me was gone in a week. The flakes of the seborrheic eczema after a few weeks. The last pimples disappeared a few weeks after that, to only return, very mildly, just before menstruation.

July 11, 2013 2:15 PM
Review by TomMinnesota (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): Saw an improvement shortly after I started taking Oracea. Skin was smoother and nose area was not as bumpy and less skin flareups caused lots of upset stomach. Several times tool this medicine with water and maybe 40 minutes later would throw up. Also medicine is very expensive.

May 5, 2013 10:09 PM
Review by ali b: User Rating:

doxycycline: I have just started taking this medicine, which I have used before for anti-malaria! I had no idea it was for Rosacea. What I'm most surprised about on this discussion forum is how expensive it is. I live in France, where prescriptions are free because health care is paid through your taxes. Meaning - if a medicine costs $1 or $30, it's still free, making it accessible to everyone skin conditions.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 29, 2013 2:16 PM
Review by 2cute: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I saw great results but unfortunately had to stop because the medication went from $300 to $480 and my insurance would not cover it, and that was also using discount card.

March 13, 2013 10:57 PM
Review by RQuail (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

doxycycline: I have a new lease on life now that I'm able to show my face without being painfully self-conscious. For decades I was afflicted with hideous eruptions on my nose. They were either big zits or small boils. My nose is permanently scarred. The doc said it was Rosacea and prescribed "doxy." Follow the instructions carefully. Don't lie down after you take it. Drink plenty of water. Don't eat for at least an hour. Don't take calcium supplements for 2-3 hours. I've had no obvious side effects. Being fair-skinned, I've always been sensitive to the sun, so the sun-sensitivity side effect is nothing unusual.

December 21, 2012 11:57 AM
Review by MtnLover2012: User Rating:

doxycycline: I've had mild Rosacea for 20years but it really started to flare up when I was 52. My Dermatologist prescribed Metrogel and Oracea for 3 months after two weeks of Doxycycline 100mg 2x day. My skin cleared up in about 3 days. My insurance won't pay for the Metrogel or Oracea so I just continued to take the Doxy 100mg once a day, now I chop it in half and take 50mg a day. My skin is still clear. I'd rather take it than the other two (topical and oral) combined. Cheaper too.

November 26, 2012 12:57 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): Oracea works wonderfully for my rosacea. I'm willing to accept my moderate digestive issues that seem to be associated with it. Oracea is extremely expensive.

September 10, 2012 3:19 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): Since I have used this medication so long, years and years, I believe it has improved my rosacea. I'm not willing to stop taking Oracea to find out. As far as the stomach ache associated with this pill, I found that taking it at night prevents the stomach upset symptoms. One review mentioned burning on the lips and tongue, I have experienced this side effect very very much, however, I didn't realize this pill may be the reason. Again, if this pills causes the lips, mouth area and tongue to have a burning sensation I'm not sure I would stop taking the Oracea, although that is one terrible side effect. Overall, I will continue taking Oracea.

August 18, 2012 3:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): My doctor gave me a coupon card that keeps the prescription at $25.00 with my insurance. I have been taking Oracea for two years for my Rosacea. It works great! The only problem now is that after all this time of using Oracea, I have developed a constant stomach ache. This is one of the side effects and I am really bummed out about it. I have had not stopped using Oracea. Not sure what is the alternative will be.

March 6, 2012 5:32 PM

doxycycline: I took doxycycline for close to 6 months and I found it worked great for my Rosacea condition. It cleared up my red skin and I was back to having a normal face again. But after I have stopped it for 4 months, the redness and all those bumps were back again. So I have to resort to taking the antibiotics again. One thing I realized for this antibiotic is that it makes your face very very sensitive to the lights and sun after prolong use of taking it, this is one of the down side for this antibiotic. Other than that, it is great.

November 17, 2011 10:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I used the $25.00 "Care Card" for the allowed 2 months. My face cleared up completely, with no side effects. I was told my 3rd refill would cost $440.00 per month, so I had to stop taking it.

October 22, 2011 10:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Doryx (doxycycline): Doryx is the only medicine that can clear up my Rosacea outbreaks now. Oracea can help a little bit, but my problem areas keep reappearing when I'm on that pill. (The facial creams used to work on me when I was younger, but once I became diabetic, the creams did not help).

August 24, 2011 7:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I began taking Oracea about a three and a half weeks ago for Rosacea. I saw my dermatologist for what I thought was a stubborn case of acne. I am 54 and was breaking out like crazy, with no improvement using over the counter acne medicine. My skin is greatly improved. However, the result I am most excited about, is the great improvement I am experiencing with fibromyalgia. I have had pain from bursitis in my right him for over a year, I have had cortisone shots and PT with no relief. After taking Oracea for about two weeks, I noticed remarkable improvement in my hip pain. I am also feeling more energetic and more alert than I have in a long time. I will be seeing my rheumatologist in September and will be asking her opinion.

August 11, 2011 10:40 PM
Review by jenny20: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): Oracea works for the most part. My skin has improved but I still suffer from the upset stomach at times as one of the side effects. I have been using Oracea for about one year and it has helped my skin clear up and has helped prevent the huge lumps from over taking my face.

July 21, 2011 3:54 AM
Review by 4evryoung: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I suffer from moderate acne exacerbated by dermatillomania (skin picking). This product has been the most effective treatment I have used. Since I'm 52 that means I've tried almost every prescription or OTC product. My skin has healed and have no further breakouts.

July 4, 2011 1:57 PM
Review by strivingforperfection: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I started using Oracea about four months ago and it has been good for the most part. But it seems like my face is starting to break out again and I have noticed that my teeth seem dull or a little yellow.

June 25, 2011 9:44 PM
Review by Andy Ray:

doxycycline: I take doxycycline for Rosacea and ocular Rosacea. 100 mg/day. This medicine is a life-saver. I have had no side-effects. Decreases inflammation significantly.

May 27, 2011 11:02 AM

Oracea (doxycycline): Great.

April 26, 2011 12:10 AM
Review by melanie9466:

Oracea (doxycycline): If you can afford Oracea or your insurance pays for it then by all means take it. It is great for rosacea and adult acne. You do need to drink plenty of water.

March 23, 2011 8:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Oracea (doxycycline): I used Oracea for severe rosacea. I experienced only mild improvements. I repeatedly got a skin infection around the eyes which was resolved with a topical anti-fungal. The infections alone are a reason to mark this medicine down.

March 22, 2011 11:58 PM