User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Anthrax 1 reviews 23 medications

Cholera 0 reviews 18 medications Not rated - Be the first
Cutaneous Bacillus anthracis 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Ehrlichiosis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Enterocolitis 0 reviews 41 medications Not rated - Be the first
Epididymitis, Sexually Transmitted 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Inclusion Conjunctivitis 0 reviews 4 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lyme Disease, Arthritis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lyme Disease, Carditis 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lyme Disease, Erythe...hronicum Migrans 0 reviews 33 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lymphogranuloma Venereum 0 reviews 37 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tertiary Syphilis 0 reviews 23 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trachoma 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 451 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Bacterial Infection: "If it wasn't for having to stay out of the sun while taking, I'd give it a 10. I was given this for something besides my ears at the time, but I clearly remember that it suddenly and quickly cleared up a long standing issue with my ears being slightly sore for quite a long time. My doctor at the time told me to remember that. I seem to have the ear issue again and am thinking of asking my current pcp for at least a short time treatment with this."

PA86 August 22, 2015

For Acne: "Just been giving another 5 month dosage of Doxycycline, Benzoyl peroxide (5%) and Tretinoin (0.05%). It started off getting worse, but within two weeks I started to see a major improvement in my skin. I hardly get any acne anymore. Just the scaring on my chest and on my face. Hopefully this will help clear it all up. When I first started taking the Doxycycline, I felt sick and had slight headaches but make sure to eat food first and then take the pills!! It really does help."

sammyboi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2015

For Acne: "I have been on this medication for three months now and it is the worst decision I've ever made in my life. I started with moderate cystic acne, my doctor said that doxycycline would work wonders for it, and, sadly, I believed him. Although now I very rarely get cysts, I have broken out severely on my cheeks and forehead in ten to fifteen hard inflamed bumps at a time, and this medication has left immense scarring all along my cheeks that cannot be covered by makeup. My skin is a thousand times worse now than it was when I started. Please don't start this medication. "

miserableacnesufferer August 17, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 17,I started Doxy 50mg once a day on the 24th of April (almost 4 months ago) and at first my acne hadn't changed much at all. If anything during that starting period my pimples on my cheeks and chin got worse though that was to be expected. I continued to take it and after a consecutive month or so I noticed my pimples subsiding. From then on my skin just kept getting better, it's now smooth, soft, healthy with only a couple tiny, non-pussy pimples here and there. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but if my face is exposed to the sun for 30minutes I get a few extra pimples? Anyway, the keys for this antibiotic to work at it's finest are: -Touch your face as less as possible -Try eat healthy foods -Do not pick at your spots"

Rachel1998 August 17, 2015

For Acne: "A pretty average experience. Helped a ton with my teenage acne from when I started using it (age 15) to when I stopped using it (age 17). Had to get off it now because it would induce a lot of stomach pain and diarrhea when I would be taking it."

Hiii (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2015

For Acne: "For about 30$ a bottle I was taking 100mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I weight about 100lbs. I'm a teen and my acne blows. This helped to reduce how "angry" my acne was. However I will say this made me completely lose my appetite and if taken wrong can cause severe nausea. I did get 3rd degree burns when I was on it last summer and went off it for this summer however I might go back on it due to the fact the new topical cream I have sucks. All in all doxy was my hero but it definitely is a lot to handle."

he August 14, 2015

For Lyme Disease: "Diagnosed with Lyme after years of false negative testing for the disease. I was prescribed 200 mg of doxy daily. I tolerated it for about 18 days before I had an allergic reaction. Rash all over my body, headaches, blood red eye. I thought that I had pink eye again! Stopped the medicine and began a course of Amox after a week. Hope it works. I did experience extreme fatigue and additional Lyme symptoms after about 4 days on the medicine...from what I understand that is called a "herk" effect. Rash, itching and eyes cleared up within 3 days of ceasing the doxy and taking lots of benadryl."

selfportrait64 (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

For Acne: "I had very bad acne all over my face. I went to a dermatologist and started doxycycline. At first it got way worse but eventually it cleared my face right up! No acne at all. Don't stop taking it though or else it comes back. At first I was going to stop cause it was making it worse but please trust me keep going it really helps!!"

TheHonestTruth (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2015

For Acne: "I have suffered from moderate to severe acne. My doctor prescribed me this medication the first week of July 2015. I literally saw NO results until after 4 weeks. I told my dermatologist that it doesn't look like it really works for me BUT, he told me It usually takes 3-4 months to really see the improvement. Also, a week after I saw him I did see a HUGE improvement. I had a lot of bumps on my forehead and all around my chin. My face is very smooth now, just have a couple of scars. Nothing good makeup can't hide when I have to head out. I also avoid the sun as much as I can. Bc I started to notice my skin was getting flakey but I use a good moisturizer to get rid of that. I take one when I wake up and one before I go to bed."

Sandrax3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

For Acne: "I had high hopes for this drug. But sadly all it doesn't work so well for me. Arrrg my skin hurts so bad!!! It literally feels like its burning. My skin has become so dry that its starting to peel. I try putting on cream but that hurts soooooo bad. It literally feels like my skin is on fire when I try to moisturize. My doc gave me a cream and even that freaken hurts so bad!!!"

Luveley August 11, 2015

For Acne: "I am 33 years old. I have had acne for a few years. Sometimes it looked really bad and sometimes OK enough to get by with makeup. However it's taken a toll on my self confidence. I don't feel comfortable around people when my make up isn't on or even if it is on. I just know the acne is on my face and people notice it. Or at least I think they do. I started doxcycline about two weeks ago and have a month long course so have about 2 weeks to go. While I do see little improvement, I still have the acne and feel bumps on my face. I have some new bumps on my chin. So I'm not entirely sure if there is improvement or its just in my head since I'm on the medication. Is there hope? Does it really get better if you stick with it?"

nilly3 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I was only able to take it for 4 days before I had to be taken off of it because I couldn't see anything clearly. It was affecting my job and my home life. I felt like i was going crazy. Couldn't remember anything. Had to ask other people what I was doing because I couldn't remember"

J.corley (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2015

For Bullous Pemphigoid: "I managed to reduce the prednisolone dosage from 7mg to 2mg now after Doctor added 2 doxycycline capsules daily to my prescription from March 2014."

Hung KG (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

For Acne: "I begun using doxycyline in December of 2014, I have been struggling with acne since the fourth grade and something needed to be done. My acne got worse the first month but the second and third was a drastic improvement. It is now July and my skin has never looked so great."

hope omodibo July 29, 2015

For Acne: "This medication is a miracle. I suffered with cystic acne and had breakouts all over my cheeks and jawline. Just after three days of taking the medication, my face was less red. After two weeks, I had no acne. I've been taking the medication for three weeks now and I'm so satisfied with the results. I still breakout, but I only get 2-3 pimples now and then. I had no side effects when taking this medication, and for me, it did not make my acne worse before it got better. I recommend this medication for anyone who is suffering from acne!"

Christine A July 28, 2015

For Bronchitis: "this is my 2nd day of taking it. I do feel a bit better. I noticed some posters speaking about nausea. take this med about 15 minutes after a FULL meal. NEVER on an empty stomach. "

kbharbert July 26, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline) for Rosacea: "Started taking for acne. It helped a lot the first three weeks but the second I had my period it's like I might as well not even be taking the oracea because I see little to no difference. I get diarrhea and upset stomach in addition to taking this medication. For me, I'll probably need to take a stronger medicine."

Jamie Elizabeth July 25, 2015

For Acne: "I've been on doxycycline and Aldactone for just one week. I'm not seeing any major differences yet but I'm hopeful. I have had slightly less deep (huge) pimples. I'm not sure if the difference is the meds or proactive plus which I've been using two weeks."

Cristinb July 23, 2015

For Gastroenteritis: "500mg (1 dose each day). When I took Doxycycline the first time, there was irritation along the back of my throat, followed by a slight headache. The next day, I took my next dose and immediately my head felt tight and full of pressure. It took 9 hours to subside and almost double that to get rid of it completely. I looked up the side-effects on this site and apparently intra-cranial pressure is rare but can happen. This antibiotic may work wonders for some people but for me it was not a good experience. I am now on a different antibiotic for my condition which is making me feel tired and hungry all the time. It's still better than crippling headaches. Avoid Doxycycline if you feel ill with it. It's not worth the pain."

Lady Kay (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

For Acne: "I have been on doxy (on and off) for about a year and a half now. My acne was on my face,chest,and back. Let me start by saying,this medication will most definitely make your acne worse before it gets better. For me,the initial flare only last about a week, 2 at most and it is definitely worth it! I'm on birth control now,because my body eventually seems to become immune to this medication after being on it so long. Now with the birth control,I started taking doxy again (with clindamycin topical lotion) and my acne is gone in less than a week! A complete turn around. Just last week I would look in the mirror and cry about my skin. I was actually suppose to start accutane next month. I recommend this for anyone with severe acne!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015

For Acne: "All my life I have been lucky enough to have near perfect skin, however after starting university it all turned terrible. I had large pimples along my jawline mostly but also all over my face that were very painful under the skin which came to a pussy head (cute I know). I broke out more then I had ever in my life I went to the Dr and I was prescribed Doxycycline for 2 weeks it made my skin worse to start off with but after a week and a half it started to clear. Now I have the occasional small whitehead but it seems to have gotten my skin out of its bad phase thank goodness."

Anonymous July 17, 2015

Acticlate (doxycycline) for Acne: "Once I moved to a more humid climate around 8th grade, my skin exploded and I decided to start the original Proactiv and while it was harsh on my skin at first, it worked wonders for the 4-5 years I used it. After my skin got used to the Proactiv formula, I tried everything from biore to clean and clear to gentle cleansers like neutrogena. I'm now 20 and the acne was getting in the way of my self confidence so I decided to make an appointment with my dermatologist and she prescribed Acticlate (doxycycline). I broke out on and off for about a month but now it's mostly scarring and the occasional small pimple. If you're going on doxycycline, stick it out! I promise it's so worth it."

Becca1578 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline) for Acne: "My dermatologist put me on Doryx a couple months back. My acne was bad, inflamed and painful all over my cheeks. I took half the pill once a day and at first it made my skin dry out. But my acne disappeared within a week and a half. Afterwards I stopped using it. Then noticed my skin breaking out again. So I'm back on it again and it has settled my skin. I quit eating dairy as well while taking it and I have yet to have a breakout. I now take it every other day as it dries out the skin all over my body. But totally worth the results !!"

Jennuhpurr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

For Acne: "I have had bad skin since I can remember and had tried all sorts of products/home remedies/diet changes and nothing worked. Had non-painful lumps in my neck and chin and after seeing a specialist, finally found out that i had bacteria in my lymph nodes from untreated acne. i have been using this in combination with an antibiotic toner and all of my lymph nodes are fine and so is my skin. At 27 it is nice to have nice skin. No nausea or side effects at all. Highly recommended!!!"

StaceyA July 9, 2015

For Rosacea: "I'm 53 and have very bad rosacea. My derm put me on doxycycline 100mg x2 a day. It cleared up my face great. She reduced the dosage to 50mg x2 a day everything was great until I started having joint problems. I never had that first joint prob before. I went off med for a while and rosacea came back with a vengeance. My doc told me to try med again and if joint prob returned she would take me off of med for good. I did this and all of my joints got very bad so I stopped taking drug. It's been 6 months and my joints are still recovering. The med package said 1 in 6 will develop joint problems. I'm one of them. Now srosacea is bad and I am bumming heavily."

Shack D July 6, 2015