User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Anthrax 1 reviews 25 medications

Cholera 0 reviews 18 medications Not rated - Be the first
Cutaneous Bacillus anthracis 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Ehrlichiosis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Enterocolitis 0 reviews 41 medications Not rated - Be the first
Epididymitis, Sexually Transmitted 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gastroenteritis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Inclusion Conjunctivitis 0 reviews 4 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lyme Disease, Arthritis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lyme Disease, Carditis 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lyme Disease, Erythe...hronicum Migrans 0 reviews 33 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lymphogranuloma Venereum 0 reviews 37 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tertiary Syphilis 0 reviews 23 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trachoma 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 422 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Acne: "I have suffered from acne since I can remember! I'm now 16 and it's hopefully starting to go forever. I've tried so many different types of diets, creams, pills and anything that might help my acne. I have been on roacutane which was AMAZING.. But my acne sadly came crawling right back. I left it a few years till I finally went back to the dermatologist and they put me on doxycycline. At first my skin cleared up right away then I started to get a few blemishes here and there but my skin is definitely way better than it used to be and I really recommend doxycycline if you don't want to go on very harsh treatments like roacutane. I'm also using differin cream and originally used the gel but that was too harsh so I changed to the cream."

Janosieber (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

For Acne: "I have had cystic acne for about 5 years now I have tried almost everything to clear my skin, from proactive to neutrogena to benzoyl peroxide cream,etc I mean almost EVERYTHING & now I'm just tired of it! So me and my mom made a appointment with the doctor to get a referral for the dermatologist but the doctor said Accutane is like the last choice... so she just prescribed me doxycycline for my acne. I've been on it for only about 4 days and I'm already seeing great results , hopefully it keeps working and doesn't get WORST... By the way I also have it on my chest, arms, shoulders, & back, this is my last hope.:/"

Cocoa_100 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Acne: "I've suffered from acne since I was 11, and I am now 16. My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline twice a day when I was 15. After a few weeks of faithfully taking it like she said, my skin started to clear up nicely. I still proceeded to have a few blemishes but nothing major. After three months, my dermatologist took me off doxycycline after seeing my improvement. She left me with the topical Ziana. My skin stayed pretty good after that. But about two months later, my acne started to get worse again. The Ziana didn't help me at all. So she gave me a new topical but it just dries my skin out very badly so I don't use it often. Last week, she put me back on doxycycline. No improvement yet, but I'm hoping it will clear my skin up."

Pnut7155 June 27, 2015

For Acne: "I have suffered with various forms of acne since I was a child of nine years of age and I am now 54 years old. I had taken Accutane for cystic acne and finished a course in 2013 when I started to break out again in small pimples in late 2013. I started Periostat in 2014 and have not gotten any better. The pimples have gotten worse. They are all over my face, raised and hard. It looks like I have a rash. I am African-American and have hyperpigmentation so when every pimple heals it turns brown. My face is a mess and my dermatologist doesn't really know what to do. I take the pills twice a day and use clindamycin topical lotion all to no avail."

mp5442st (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

For Acne: "I have adult cystic acne that was very painful all along the chin and around the mouth. A week on the doxycycline cleared up my face and I had only very minimal pimples (and not cystic) for a few weeks after. But after three months it is completely gone. Not sure what will happen when I come off it! Keep your fingers crossed for me."

Hjpease June 20, 2015

For Acne: "This helped my moderate hormonal acne so much. At first I was scared to use it because of all the reviews I read saying how it causes you to purge before it gets better. Luckily for me I did not have to go through that. It worked immediately! I was taking 50 mg doxy bid with tretinoin 0.05% gel applied topically at night. My face was smooth as butter. Eventually I stopped using the gel and just the doxy and it cleared my skin right up. Now I get a few pimples here and there around the time of my period."

Pampampam (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline) for Acne: "I have only been on doryx for about a week, but my acne has almost completely cleared up. And I have had no new acne since starting. Definitely the best acne treatment I've tried."

Sean O June 15, 2015

For Acne: "I've had acne since I was 12 and had tried several topical antibiotics but they never seemed to work. I went to the Dr and he prescribed me 100 mg doxycycline hyclate once a day and duac gel twice a day. The first few weeks it dried my face out but not TOO bad.. Just be sure to stay moisturized and drink lots of water other wise it'll be worse. After about a month I seen results here and there but I'd still break out. 2nd month started to get a little better. I'm now on my 3rd month (almost finished) and I honestly can't believe how much of a difference I see from when I first started taking it. All I have is a few scars but that's NOTHING. I'm so excited!! I've been waiting for this day forever :) I highly recommend it."

Miriam Petty June 13, 2015

For Acne: "I had severe acne and after a few months since starting the medication, I saw extreme results. Now, 1.5 years since starting the medication, I have been acne free for over a year. Best choice my doctor and I have ever made."

far456 June 9, 2015

For Acne: "I had to take doxy when I went to Laos to prevent malaria. When my doctor was prescribing my medication, he noticed that I had pretty bad acne and he mentioned that doxy helps to clear it up. I have had no side effect over the 13 or 14 days that I've been using it, and when I got back from Laos, my skin was honestly so much better. I actually expected it to be worse due to the sanitation levels there, but it's smooth, its less red, the pimples are leaving my face, and honestly it has been a godsent for me. The only problem would be how to get more and if I should stop, because I don't have a dermatologist and I don't really want to continue on antibiotics for a long time."

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

For Acne: "Hello I have had severe acne for almost 10 years. I carried on because I don't have enough money to check in dermatologists. And thankful of my boss he bought me to the hospital here in Kuwait Adan. Doctors give me the medicine doxycycline and taking for 1 month and also cream Ipeduo and now thanks be to God the acne cleared. And now am comfortable with my face and when I look in the mirror happy and can smile without curiosity. Thanks doxycycline and Ipidou cream"

Star1517 June 4, 2015

For Pneumonia: "Diagnosed with Pneumonia, had been on Cefuroxime for an URTI which didn't really help. Doxy got rid of the infection!"

stefsmith13 June 2, 2015

For Acne: "I've been on the medication for like 2 weeks and have seen no difference I hope it starts to work soon"

Katie27843 June 1, 2015

For Acne: "Only got a 5 because it worked amazingly with my cystic acne, but after almost 3 months the side effects have become unbearable. My chest and throat hurt like hell, swallowing water feels like I tried to eat a brillo pad. I've been avoiding eating because it hurts so much. Doctor took me off it, but says my body has to heal up on it's own. If you start having stomach problems, beware. I told my doctor and she said to take it with food and I'll be fine. BULL! This throat is chest pain is almost as bad as when I got my tonsils out. My Primary Care recommended birth control as an alternative. We'll see how that works."

Rayne Blackfire May 29, 2015

For Acne: "I am a 27 year old female and I never had acne in my life up until about 8 months ago which continued to worsen over time. Eventually it got so bad I decided to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline and I was quite skeptical. The first three weeks I saw little to no improvement but after the fourth week everything cleared up so I decided I wouldn't need another prescription, this was a bad idea as after a week of being off doxycycline I started getting large painful zits in random spots so I asked my dermatologist for another prescription. I am on day 3 of my second prescription of doxycycline and everything is clear again. My only fear is that I can not have clear skin without taking antibiotics."

Rosie T May 29, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I started on Doxycyline a few days a go after a week of headaches and painful sinuses. I was running a low grade fever and coughing up phlem like crazy. Every part of my body hurt from the fever. Once starting doxy taken with a full glass of water, no vitamins and no laying down for 30 minutes I started to get better. I had a few graham crackers so I didn't take it totally on a empty stomach. My fever broke and the headaches are gone. I had many sinus infections until having surgery on them for a drainage issue 20 years ago. I never had another one until this year and it's a doozy. Doxycycline is the only thing that works for me on these sinus infections."

Keleeemo (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

For Acne: "I was put on Solodyn but within days, my acne was getting worse and worse, which forced me to go to my dermatologist and ask for something else. She told me that antibiotics shouldn't make you "worst before it gets better", considering how it's supposed to work. After getting cortisone steroid shots on them, she put me on doxycycline and within days, my skin was getting better and better. I've been on it for 2 months now and I've only gotten maybe 1 or 2 small pimples and they would go away in 2-3 days tops. I'm also using clindamycin phosphate lotion 1% once a day at night and this combination has been amazing."

finally clear (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline) for Acne: "Hi Everyone I have been on Doryx for nearly 3 months. The pimples on my face and back have gotten worse and worse I am constantly breaking out to be honest my face is worse being on this medication then it was before i started it."

sydaust88 May 25, 2015

For Rosacea: "I'm giving this a 5 because I'm sure it is effective. I just want to warn people about how common esophagitis is with this medicine. My derm gave me this two weeks ago and I'm feeling like death. I can barely swallow any liquids. I was only able to get a couple hundred calories yesterday. I felt like going to the ER but there really isn't much they can do for you. You just have to let it run its course. It may take two weeks to get back to normal. You don't appreciate being able to eat and drink and swallow until it hurts like one of the worse pains in my life to do so. Major chest pain. I can't express how awful this is to deal with."

ajcmr (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

For Acne: "I've had acne for a long time, all my teen years into adulthood. I'm 29 now and finally asked my doctor to prescribe something. I'm about 3 wks into taking Doxycycline and I had noticed slight improvement until a few days ago. I just got my period and dear god, my acne is more cystic and crazy than ever! It's mainly on my cheeks and chin now (which seems to be what others have experienced on this medication) and they are large, painful and ugly. Ugh. I'm truly hoping this is the whole "getting worse before it gets better" thing. I'm gonna stick with it and hope that this is just a one time thing. I also began using the Acne Free Severe system with this med, so we shall see. Oh, and the first day I took the med, I vomited. Must eat prior!"

amylaub0707 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

For Acne: "I switched to doxycycline for my acne after Solodyn (which reduced the acne I was getting by about 50%). Prior to taking doxycycline, I had borderline cystic acne and lots of PIH/redness. Within two weeks, a lot of my acne sunk into my face and went 'inactive.' I still get about 5% of acne that I got prior to taking any medicine, but no more lingering cysts, just small pimples. I feel that doxycycline has been very effective for me, and the only side effect I have noticed some slight photosensitivity/higher chance of sunburn (this would be the case with any antibiotic). I've been on doxycycline for almost 3 months and plan to continue taking it. Now I'm just dealing with PIH!"

Alexander Noonz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I have a bacterial infection in my lungs, I've been on this medication for 4 days now and I have not noticed any difference. This medication is not working for me."

Anonymous May 18, 2015

For Acne: "I've been on doxycycline for about a week now and I am in love with how my skin looks! I've been reading reviews about people's skin getting really bad so I'm scared that will happen to me because I've struggled with severe acne for so many years and this is the best my skin has ever looked, I'm pretty much almost acne free!! I'm also using differin cream 0.1% and that is a lot nicer on my skin than the gel was. I highly recommend going to see if you are able to take this medication."

Janosieber (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

For Acne: "This is far from the godsend every one else has claimed it to be. I'm two months in and have witnessed almost no results, other than the zits are less large and less painful. But in no way are their less zits. As an added "bonus", my acne scare like never before. The scarring is impossible to get rid of and impossible to cover up. My acne was only moderate, so I had expected it to work. I'm frustrated, and disappointed. This was my last hope."

TrevorAllen1269 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline) for Ocular Rosacea: "I have mild rosacea but experienced ocular rosacea/blepharitis for the first time a year ago. The ophthalmologist told me that it was chronic and prescribed all sorts of things that didn't work. Months later I saw a new dermatologist. She prescribed oracea, which put me out of my misery. The skin on and under my eyes had become dry and sore from doing hot compresses four times a day. It is a pity that the pharmaceutical company price it so high that most cannot get relief, seems awfully greedy to me!"

pbro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015