User Reviews for Dihydroergotamine

Also known as: D.H.E. 45, Migranal

Learn more about Dihydroergotamine.

Cluster Headaches 3 reviews 34 medications

Migraine 22 reviews 72 medications

7.6
Summary of Dihydroergotamine reviews 25 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Dihydroergotamine

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I had chronic severe migraines almost daily for 25 years. Some things have sort of worked; most not. Botox made an enormous difference in my headaches. I have been using Migranal for breakthrough headaches and life is very much better. This year, Migranal, nor its generic (which are made by the same company??), are covered under my insurance. I have Medicare, and I receive Social Security Disability. The generic cost is more than my whole SSD check. MY neurologist and pharmacists are out of suggestions. They say maybe I can ask for Patient Assistance Coverage, which almost always is only given to people who already have some kind of drug coverage. Or maybe the doctor can give me samples. I am horrified."

MariaMMB January 23, 2016

For Migraine: "I have used Migranal for years, but now the expense is very high. The medicine works well for me as well. The only reason for the cost is gouging by the drug companies that make this medicine. It is an old medication and the money they charge for it is not related to the cost of research or production. They charge this much because this country lets them get away with it. No other western country lets drug companies charge what they want for medicines. They should not be allowed to do it in the U.S. either. It is criminal."

Managing with headaches December 19, 2015

For Migraine: "I have been on this for 16 years and it works great. The price has gone way up but at I get vouchers off internet I hope this helps someone."

Ronnie L December 18, 2015

For Migraine: "Hi All, Is there anyone else who has experienced a huge increase in cost for DHE mesylate (injectable vial)? I have injected with DHE 45 and now DHE mesylate for 17 yrs since my brain aneurysm rupture and clipping. As of Jan 2015 United Health Insurance along with Optum RX have raised my cost from $25 for a 90 day supply to $1500 to $1700 and this is my cost. Unable to afford this medication any longer I am left helpless. thanks for any input regarding similar price hikes."

AZ ill (taken for 10 years or more) May 3, 2015

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: "Rough side effect profile (nausea, leg cramping, and the injections burn). Have used every day for a couple weeks to shut down a bad cluster. Worked pretty good."

Clusterhead (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2014

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: "I have suffered with clusters for the last 20 years. Every time I've been prescribed something that works, the FDA finds a negative reason to stop production. Migranal seems to work really well, but the price is ridiculous!! My pharmacist requests that I only get it at the end of the month due to his cost. Now my insurance cost on it is being raised. Go figure....."

Brandysanders July 4, 2014

For Migraine: "If you suffer from an anxiety disorder or depression, I would be very cautious with this medication. I suffer from chronic migraines and anxiety and depression, and was given DHE on multiple occasions for my acute migraines. As soon as the medication entered my body, I felt restless and anxious. Within 2 minutes, I was having a full-on panic attack; I was completely terrified even though I knew I was entirely safe. The horror consumed me & I lost my perspective and was convinced that I would feel that way for the rest of my life. I felt so hopeless that I couldn't bring myself to ask the doctor for help. It did help with the acute head pain, but it left me so terrified and anxious that I was back in the ER within 2 days for another migraine"

Cataleyaa July 1, 2014

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I have Celiac disease and one of the side effects are migraines that use to last 3 or days until I found DHE 45 which was 1st done by IV. After that I was prescribed the shots until the nasal spray came out. After 15 years of research on my own I have come to the conclusion that either Celiac or other allergens are the prime cause of migraines that last more then 24 hours and maybe those as well; for these conditions cause swelling in every cell in the body including the neurons. I hope this helps others who suffer from the debilitating pain caused by these episodes."

owka4u (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2014

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "My Doctor prescribed me Migranal earlier this year. I've had migraines since I was 6 and have never found anything that helps this much. I prefer the pill I can take over the spray. I've been to the ER before and they give me DHE (Migranal) in an I.V shot and it's magic. Look into this if you need help."

MNWalsh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2013

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I have been suffering from migraines for about 2 years now. I've tried a few different prescription pills and I've suffered from horrible side effects from each one. I was to the point where I felt almost hopeless because I couldn't do anything to relieve the pain when I would get migraines. My neurologist prescribed me Migrainal last month and I've had 3 horrible migraines since then. Each time I have used Migrainal within 30 minutes they are gone and I feel great and not defeated by the horrible migraine. I definitely would recommend and consider this a miracle!"

jaxncadensmommy July 17, 2013

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "This medication is a miracle for me! I have had migraines for 26 years and tried just about everything. My neurologist prescribed this in an attempt to get rid of a 3 week migraine. I took the spray as directed and within an hour I was headache free. I have no side effects, no bad taste, nothing. It is truly my miracle!"

JLHelm June 1, 2013

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I have had migraines for 30 years. In the last year and a half they went from 15 day/month to practically every day. Triptans do not work as an abortive for me. Propananol is the only preventative thus far that has worked - but it stopped working after 4 weeks. My neurologist prescribed DHE in the injectible form. I do not like the little glass vials the DHE comes in, breaking them open, and using the syringe. That said, almost every time I use it, it breaks the migraine. Unfortunately, it does not always last more than 4-6 hours. I can get this at my local CVS (though they don't carry it in stock). I don't notice any side-effects but I generally take a nap afterward to let it do it's thing."

Susan G. October 23, 2012

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "Taste in mouth, burning in throat, stuffy nose and nausea which all passed after an hour. Medication effective within 60-90 minutes. Very effective and less expensive than a trip to ER to receive DHE intravenously. TAKE A ZOFRAN!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2012

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: "I have suffered from cluster headaches for 7 years. My doctors have tried it all on me then one day I was administered this. A God send after so many years of pain and emotional turmoil."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2012

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "My neurologist prescribed the Migranal for me last year when I got into a 2 mth long migraine that was seeming to be impossible to break. I'm also on Nortryptiline and Atenolol as preventatives and the Migranal is for PRN usage. (as needed) As someone else said, this drug does seem to work the best if you use it at the first sign of migraine. If you wait until your migraine is fully set in, it doesn't seem to work all that well. The downside to the medicine is that is does leave a terrible taste in your mouth, your throat burns, and your nose gets stuffed up. But compared the to severe pain of a migraine, I guess it's worth it. The worst part about it though is the COST."

RobinR February 21, 2012

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I've been experiencing migraines for over 30 years. I started injecting DHE 9 days ago and haven't had a single migraine. This hasn't happened since I started getting migraines and I've been on many medications including Botox. I don't expect to never get another migraine but I'm enjoying this time while it lasts. I do believe that the DHE will control my migraines and keep them to a minimum which has never been done before. I normally average 25 migraines a month. If DHE can reduce my migraines to once a week, I'll be thrilled."

Honey17 January 27, 2012

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I have been getting severe migraines for more than 25 years. 99% of the time they would result in a trip to the ER for a few injections - since I can't keep anything in my stomach, pills were not a solution. Suppositories to control the vomiting so that I could take pills only made me more miserable - in other ways - and offered little to no benefit. Last year my neurologist prescribed Migranal Nasal Spray. Wow. What a life changer! Within 30 minutes I am good to go with little to no remaining headache. There isn't even enough time for the vomiting to start. I really want to spread the word on this to other migraine sufferers. It has been an amazing solution for me."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I had several days of DHE IV's, a good try of migraines. A few weeks of injectable DHE and it didn't do a thing for me. I wish it worked for my constant headache. I heard a lot of good things about it."

Anonymous September 9, 2011

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I give it a 10 because I was about to jump off a bridge in order to break the 18 day migraine I had up until this morning. It took 3 days of Migranal but I am FINALLY through the pain. I tried two rounds of steriods, Maxalt up to 3x's/day for 2 weeks, and FINALLY this worked. Although I am cautiously optimistic, this is the longest I have gone in 18 days without the debilitating pain that became so severe I was willing to go to very extreme measures to get it to stop. Thank goodness my Neurologist thought of it."

Anonymous February 3, 2011

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for : "I used the Migranol for the first time this morning. It worked with the first pump. I followed with the second pump as directed, as there was a slight "buzz" left after the first pump. It worked very well. I did find myself to be very sleepy, whether that was a reflection of the medication, I can't say, but the migraine is gone. I now take a daily preventative (Topamax) and have been taking Midrin when I feel a headache starting, hopefully this will eliminate the sleepy feeling that I often get with Midrin. However... It didn't.. I'm sleepier with the Migranol than I am with Midrin.. BUT the headache was gone faster than with Midrin. It's a matter of choice at this point."

Lucymoments February 6, 2010

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "Migranal Nasal Spray seems to have helped the migraine (within the 24 hours, not quickly). However, the muscle pain was tremendous for 48 hours following taking the 1st & 2nd doses. I changed from Triptans because of the muscle pain, but the pain with the Migranal is worse. I will try it one more time, but if the after effect (excruciating muscle pain, especially in my legs and feet) are as bad as my first experience, I will stop."

sherrylblake September 3, 2009

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I get very frequent migraines, up to 15 per month. Have tried just about everything, including narcotics to control migraines. I am currently on Inderall daily as preventative (have tried many, many, other drugs as well). Am currently taking Maxalt and Treximet, but doctor suggested we try the nasal spray. I had a full blown migraine when I tried it, so results may be a little off. Migranal caused burning in the nose, and throat, nasal congestion. It also left a nasty taste in my mouth. Woke up the next day with the migraine still lingering."

PMM July 31, 2009

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I have had severe migraines for years. I finally was put on Topamax about a year ago but that wasn't enough, I still had attacks that kept me from doing anything about 2 times a months. None of the triptans worked so my doctor finally suggested DHE injections. She taught me to give them to myself so I can do them at home and now I can stop a migraine when it starts and not miss work for days on end. If anything I miss one day here and there."

Anonymous March 16, 2009

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "My neurologist gave me a sample of this spray during my last office visit. We're going the non-Triptan route trying to manage my migraines since I previously had a reaction to Triptans. This spray did nothing for my latest migraine at all. In it's defense my migraines are pretty severe and even hard core narcotics aren't much of a match for them. The search continues."

Mollie_T February 1, 2009

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: "I have migraines usually 3 to 5 times a week and my neurologist gave me this medicine. I am also taking propranolol and have not noted any side effects. I have found that for me it works best when taken at first signs of a migraine. If I take it when I already have a migraine it doesn't work. There is a little nausea afterward but a little food helps. It's a very effective treatment and no rebound headaches."

ashubina January 16, 2009