Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, Velivet, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 8 reviews 112 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 311 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Review by anon1988:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This pill works great! The first 4 days of taking the pill there was some bloating but that was the only side effect really and it went away. I definitely have not gained weight from it if anything it makes me feel full faster and longer.

October 15, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by LC7926:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Reclipsen has worked perfectly for me. It has not made me gain weight, hasn't made me moody, and it controls my period. I haven't gotten pregnant while using it and I've never worried that I have been pregnant. I would recommend this to anybody that wants to go on the pill.

October 8, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by Shaym:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My overall experience with Reclipsen has been mostly positive... Weight loss, lighter periods, less severe cramps, no acne (although that was never an issue). My only cons would be the rise and fall in my moods. Other than that, I cant complain about the product. Will continue to use it for as long as I need to!

October 3, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Megancarlene (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: First I wanna start by saying weight gain depends on you. Of course not everybody is the same and you can expect birth control to help you lose weight. Secondly this birth control is great, had to switch to it after the one I was taken got recalled (Yaz). So far this has made me happy. Like I said everyone is different, I've had no bloating, cramping, or weight gain. I have been a little emotional but it's something I can deal with.

September 28, 2014 7:52 AM

Review by Linzee83:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was on Reclipsen for a year. I was not happy with my experience. I always had a short fuse and my acne got worse. The only good things were that I had no weight gain and my periods were much lighter and one day shorter than without birth control pills. My obgyn tried me on Zarah and I had an even worse experience, so she switched me back to Safyral.

September 23, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by zichik:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've used this birth control for 8 years. I was a late bloomer, and didn't have my first period until well into age 16, I'm told because I'm small and athletically inclined. I never had cramps or mood swings - but my periods were extremely irregular and would arrive unexpectedly to ruin my favorite pairs of underwear. My doctor selected this initially due to cost, as I was not sexually active and just wanted regulation. Now at age 24, I'm happy to report it's effectiveness at preventing pregnancy, as well as a complete lack of any side effects. No acne, no weight gain, no mood swings, no spotting, no cup size enhancements (unfortunately) and a nice 4-5 day window that I know exactly when and how much I'm going to bleed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by kchaps (taken for less than 1 month):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for about a week now and I've noticed some changes. I've been spotting daily which is annoying to say the least. I also had a headache for the first couple of days. Something else that hasn't been pleasant is the feeling of bloatedness. All of these symptoms come and go, and they're not unbearable when they are present. One thing that is confusing however, is I was told that my libido would be decreased with this pill and its been the complete opposite. And so far I have not noticed any weight gain.

September 20, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: It has worked great for preventing pregnancy, but has it's downfalls. It has increased my migraines greatly and also has lowered my sex drive. I have also noticed since taking it I have been less happy and occasionally a lot more moody.

September 16, 2014 6:58 PM

Review by NavyGirl3:

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Had not been on birth control for many years and decided that I should go back on as my husband and I were not planning to have kids. I had previously been on Loestrin years before for painful periods and heavy bleeding, but after taking that for a few years those side effects diminished and I stopped taking birth control. With Ortho-Cept my periods immediately started getting extremely painful again, maybe even worse than in the past. Also, I developed symptoms of Acid Reflux which I have never had before (it is a gross feeling). Have always had decent sized breasts but with Ortho-Cept I gained probably about 15 pounds and became a triple D. Also was nauseous all the time. Anxious to switch back to LoEstrin!!

September 8, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by kayjay101:

For Birth Control: I love this pill but one side effect I get is definitely a decreased Libido....:( I'm going to look at natural ways to increase it and if no luck look at changing pills. But on the bright side, no periods, no other effect AT ALL)!

September 4, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by Ruining my relationship:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started taking Kariva May 2013 when I was 18. It was the first time I was a taking a birth control pill and I was with my boyfriend for 3 months at the time so it seemed like a smart decision. I mainly went on it to control my periods and clear up my acne which I was fed up with after years. Now I have realized that over the past year, it has made me completely emotionless and I have absolutely zero sex drive. On the bright side, my periods have been light and short (still painful cramping) and my skin has never looked better. I am going to stop taking it and try out a different pill that hopefully doesn't diminish my emotions.

August 6, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been taking Apri for about 3 or 4 years now, and I am not pregnant! So that in itself makes it a good pill. However, my periods are still fairly heavy and the cramps painful, and I suspect that the estrogen may have something to do with the migraines I experience, but I'm not sure.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by DMH2014:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Apri for a few years and it works 100% great! -My acne is nonexistent -my periods are always falling on the 3-4 days that are supposed to -My cramps are gone, I used to curl over in pain because of them! Now I have little to no discomfort -BUT the reason I gave a 9 out of 10 is because, your sex drive is close to none, I hate it for my husband, which is why I'll probably have to make a switch soon, but for me, I love the product!

July 20, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Pofish (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My sister switched to this birth control after I had such a success with it. I haven't noticed any weight gain, in fact I have successfully lost weight on it after making some dietary changes. I get more emotional than usual the first day back on it after taking the 4th week off. Besides that, no complaints. So glad to find a birth control that works for me without any crazy side effects. Been over 2 years on it now. LOVE it.

July 8, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by iFreyja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Enskyce (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for : I switched to Enskyce from Reclipsen for cost effectiveness, and felt different almost immediately. After a few weeks, I noticed that my emotions were considerably more inconsistent. Small things that wouldn't normally bother me started to make me extremely upset, and although I realized that I shouldn't have been upset at the time, I felt like I couldn't pull myself out of being emotional. I didn't pay any mind to it, because I thought some outside things could've been stressing me out, but it got to the point where I'd be having emotional breakdowns almost weekly, and about normally insignificant things. Periods were thicker and more painful. Effective as a contraceptive, but the side effects were a deal-breaker for me.

July 6, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by iFreyja (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I first started using Reclipsen about a year ago. The first thing that I noticed was that my libido was noticeably reduced, (which was a bit annoying,) and my overall emotions were dulled a bit, so that I was more indifferent to things than before. (Although I don't particularly mind this, that might be a breaking point for someone else.) I tried Enskyce for a bit, and ended up switching back due to side effects. Reclipsen works better for me, and keeps my periods light and regular. I've never had an issue with weight gain or acne, so that's something to be considered, as well. All in all, I'm happy with it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Emma Glover:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Reclipsen for a little more than a year and it has been great! My periods last about the same as when I wasn't taking it (a bit heavier). The first few months I started taking it I lost about 10 pounds and now I am back to my normal weight. I would recommend it to anyone.

July 4, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by Koliver16:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Pros: prevented pregnancy well, shortened period, cleared acne Cons: gained 20lbs, scalp hair loss, very heavy cramps, migraines, mood swings

July 4, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on Reclipsen for about two years now and am switching off of it. I was previously on another birth control that was to low of a dose when I switched over to Reclipsen. Although it has prevented pregnancy the mood swings and weight gain have been enough for me to finally get rid of it. My periods and cramps were also still seven days and severe.

July 2, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Momoftwinsx2:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Bloating, headhaches, WEIGHT GAIN! Moody, irritably. I can't stand it.

July 1, 2014 8:13 AM

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've used Reclipsen for 10 months now and I've only had a few problems. I get a little more moody that I used to, but I feel like moodiness is pretty common anyway. My period is a little heavy on the second day but only lasts 4 days. It is GREAT at preventing pregnancy, it cleared up my acne, didn't gain any weight, and my breasts got bigger! I have however had a few urinary tract infections over the past couple months, they are quite painful but not a deal breaker. Also not sure if they were due to Reclipsen. Overall a wonderful experience!

June 28, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by Torontonian (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on this birth control for about 5 months now...And it sure is doing its job very well. But I do get huge headaches from time to time and feeling dizzy for about 2 months now. When I started to take this birth control everything was fine. But until now I'm thinking of trying another brand of birth control.

June 26, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Jessica Jeanne:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: So I had to switch from Caziant to this and the first month was fine but all of a sudden I'm always angry and although I don't break out normally I have acne all over my cheeks and like I've seen with other people I think I might have a yeast or bacteria infection, which I have never had before.

June 21, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by jornee93 (taken for less than 1 month):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Started this pill and took it at night right before bed, woke up every morning with terrible morning sickness, dizziness, and awful headaches.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 2:15 AM

Review by PennyGadem:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Apri was great for the first month and a half. I take this pill religiously and have never missed or thrown up a dose. Then I had the worst period I've ever experienced in my life while I still had a week and a half of active pills left. I couldn't even drive that week. The period symptoms finally ended but the bleeding itself did not. It lightened up, but continued for three more weeks. This is ruining my sex life for the time being and I've gone through two boxes of liners. I switched to a higher dose of estrogen and will start taking it next week - and thank God.

June 18, 2014 7:38 PM