User Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, Velivet, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 9 reviews 112 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 322 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Review by Kay1991m:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I got severe lower back pain very soon after starting this which continued the entire time I was taking it. Frequent (at least 3x a week) migraines, increased appetite and weight gain, and a mysterious breast lump

January 27, 2015 5:49 PM

Review by Sunny327:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This pill made me gain weight and caused unbelievable depression. It also did not properly regulate my period.

January 26, 2015 8:31 PM

Review by Ms36 (taken for less than 1 month):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: At 36 years of age, this is my first ever birth control pill. I was placed on Apri 2 months prior to my myomectomy (surgery to remove fibroid tumors from utérus). I 've been taking them for 2 1/2 weeks now. I didnt get my period as scheduled and I've expérienced fréquent crying spells.

January 18, 2015 11:56 PM

Review by KenyaH (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I had bad side effects after taking this pill for a month. I was throwing up, had really bad cramps, headaches, constant nausea, and frequent urination.

January 18, 2015 9:31 PM

Review by fachelle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Today marks a month and a week since I've been on this pill. I was on it before and had no problems so when I found out I had ovarian cysts my dr. Put me back on it. My periods have been not as painful and I'm pretty sure my cysts are gone. (Although I haven't had another ultrasound) but I have been nauseous every single damn day. My breasts hurt and I always feel sick. I'm not sure the side effects outweigh the benefits. I'll give it a couple more weeks to let my body adjust to the hormones and update, but this is awful.

January 16, 2015 8:46 PM

Review by Cats122 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Started this birth control because I had really really bad cramps. It cured my cramps and made my period lighter. I had no side effects with it other than the first month I was constantly hungry. I'm happy that the first birth control pill I tried worked perfectly for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 8:19 PM

Review by ksssh129 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This was the first birth control pill I went on, and I wish I never stopped. I've been on like 4-5 other types but this one has been the best so far from my experience. The only downside was gaining 5 pounds, but it wasn't noticeable at all. If my current pill doesn't work out, I will be requested a prescription for Desogen again.

December 23, 2014 2:48 AM

Review by Daria W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I completely lost my sex drive. It's like eating broccoli, you just don't want it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by loveliepeaches (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I tried Tri-Nessa for one whole month and it did nothing for me. I still bled like crazy and it was just horrible. I went to my doctor after the trial period with Tri-Nessa was up and let her know I wasn't satisfied SO she changed me to Velivet. I kid you not after 2 days my unstoppable hemorrhaging stopped!! After 6 months of constant blood & discomfort this pill stopped it. The 1st month that I was on my period after the Velivet was very painful. There was constant lower abdominal and lower back pain. I endured it and I've been loving it ever since. For me it does the opposite I have a regular libido sometimes a bit high lol. I've noticed that I'm more emotional and the week before my period I do get grouchy but overall I'm so thankful.

November 18, 2014 12:03 PM

Review by Erin1111:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I switched to Reclipsen three weeks ago from Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, and my skin has cleared up considerably. I haven't experienced any of the painful cystic acne that I was getting on Ortho Tri-cyclen. I haven't experienced any negative side effects from it either. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by HeyGinger:

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been using this since I was 13 or 14 because my periods were SO irregular and it has helped tremendously with that. I wasn't sexually active until earlier this year and I haven't gotten pregnant so far, so that's good! My cramps are manageable and kind of bad sometimes but I try not to take pain killers. Before I was sexually active I had little to no cramps, but I guess sex changes your hormones and stuff. I'm not moody until my period comes which is pretty normal I think. I feel sad that it has such a poor rating on here, so maybe this will give a little balance. I gave it a 9/10 and not a 10/10 because I now get cramps and a little moody, but it's worked really well for me.

November 5, 2014 1:04 AM

Review by anon1988:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This pill works great! The first 4 days of taking the pill there was some bloating but that was the only side effect really and it went away. I definitely have not gained weight from it if anything it makes me feel full faster and longer.

October 15, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by LC7926:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Reclipsen has worked perfectly for me. It has not made me gain weight, hasn't made me moody, and it controls my period. I haven't gotten pregnant while using it and I've never worried that I have been pregnant. I would recommend this to anybody that wants to go on the pill.

October 8, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by Shaym:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My overall experience with Reclipsen has been mostly positive... Weight loss, lighter periods, less severe cramps, no acne (although that was never an issue). My only cons would be the rise and fall in my moods. Other than that, I cant complain about the product. Will continue to use it for as long as I need to!

October 3, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Megancarlene (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: First I wanna start by saying weight gain depends on you. Of course not everybody is the same and you can expect birth control to help you lose weight. Secondly this birth control is great, had to switch to it after the one I was taken got recalled (Yaz). So far this has made me happy. Like I said everyone is different, I've had no bloating, cramping, or weight gain. I have been a little emotional but it's something I can deal with.

September 28, 2014 7:52 AM

Review by Linzee83:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was on Reclipsen for a year. I was not happy with my experience. I always had a short fuse and my acne got worse. The only good things were that I had no weight gain and my periods were much lighter and one day shorter than without birth control pills. My obgyn tried me on Zarah and I had an even worse experience, so she switched me back to Safyral.

September 23, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by zichik:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've used this birth control for 8 years. I was a late bloomer, and didn't have my first period until well into age 16, I'm told because I'm small and athletically inclined. I never had cramps or mood swings - but my periods were extremely irregular and would arrive unexpectedly to ruin my favorite pairs of underwear. My doctor selected this initially due to cost, as I was not sexually active and just wanted regulation. Now at age 24, I'm happy to report it's effectiveness at preventing pregnancy, as well as a complete lack of any side effects. No acne, no weight gain, no mood swings, no spotting, no cup size enhancements (unfortunately) and a nice 4-5 day window that I know exactly when and how much I'm going to bleed.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by kchaps (taken for less than 1 month):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for about a week now and I've noticed some changes. I've been spotting daily which is annoying to say the least. I also had a headache for the first couple of days. Something else that hasn't been pleasant is the feeling of bloatedness. All of these symptoms come and go, and they're not unbearable when they are present. One thing that is confusing however, is I was told that my libido would be decreased with this pill and its been the complete opposite. And so far I have not noticed any weight gain.

September 20, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: It has worked great for preventing pregnancy, but has it's downfalls. It has increased my migraines greatly and also has lowered my sex drive. I have also noticed since taking it I have been less happy and occasionally a lot more moody.

September 16, 2014 6:58 PM

Review by NavyGirl3:

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Had not been on birth control for many years and decided that I should go back on as my husband and I were not planning to have kids. I had previously been on Loestrin years before for painful periods and heavy bleeding, but after taking that for a few years those side effects diminished and I stopped taking birth control. With Ortho-Cept my periods immediately started getting extremely painful again, maybe even worse than in the past. Also, I developed symptoms of Acid Reflux which I have never had before (it is a gross feeling). Have always had decent sized breasts but with Ortho-Cept I gained probably about 15 pounds and became a triple D. Also was nauseous all the time. Anxious to switch back to LoEstrin!!

September 8, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by kayjay101:

For Birth Control: I love this pill but one side effect I get is definitely a decreased Libido....:( I'm going to look at natural ways to increase it and if no luck look at changing pills. But on the bright side, no periods, no other effect AT ALL)!

September 4, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by Ruining my relationship:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started taking Kariva May 2013 when I was 18. It was the first time I was a taking a birth control pill and I was with my boyfriend for 3 months at the time so it seemed like a smart decision. I mainly went on it to control my periods and clear up my acne which I was fed up with after years. Now I have realized that over the past year, it has made me completely emotionless and I have absolutely zero sex drive. On the bright side, my periods have been light and short (still painful cramping) and my skin has never looked better. I am going to stop taking it and try out a different pill that hopefully doesn't diminish my emotions.

August 6, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been taking Apri for about 3 or 4 years now, and I am not pregnant! So that in itself makes it a good pill. However, my periods are still fairly heavy and the cramps painful, and I suspect that the estrogen may have something to do with the migraines I experience, but I'm not sure.

July 31, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by DMH2014:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Apri for a few years and it works 100% great! -My acne is nonexistent -my periods are always falling on the 3-4 days that are supposed to -My cramps are gone, I used to curl over in pain because of them! Now I have little to no discomfort -BUT the reason I gave a 9 out of 10 is because, your sex drive is close to none, I hate it for my husband, which is why I'll probably have to make a switch soon, but for me, I love the product!

July 20, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Pofish (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My sister switched to this birth control after I had such a success with it. I haven't noticed any weight gain, in fact I have successfully lost weight on it after making some dietary changes. I get more emotional than usual the first day back on it after taking the 4th week off. Besides that, no complaints. So glad to find a birth control that works for me without any crazy side effects. Been over 2 years on it now. LOVE it.

July 8, 2014 1:04 PM