User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis 1 reviews 161 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 163 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 137 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 372 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on reclipsen for about 5 months now for terrible cramps. Doesn't make the cramps go away completely but for the most part. Gained a few pounds & I've noticed some mood swings & hasn't really done anything for my acne. But overall good for me & id recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Pros: I never became pregnant, I had less frequent and severe cramps and it may have helped with acne although I started a new regimen around the same time. Cons: within the first month of starting I had a yeast infection and over the next 2 years I would have some kind of vaginal or bladder infection every other month. My libido decreased dramatically and in addition to that I was constantly dry down there. I experienced some dizziness and nausea which is to be expected. Lastly, I became a huge cry baby when I used to be able to count how many times I cried in a year on one hand."

Chocolatebenya (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "It's kept me to where I cannot have kids which is a good thing. Sex drive is still as usual. The weird part is I don't get periods anymore. Which has caused me to fear I was pregnant, but otherwise it's fine. I have symptoms of menapause, but I am an 18 year old girl so I can't have it just yet my guess is the side effects?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2015

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on three different kinds of birth control. I used this one twice in the past and had horrible experiences. This pill gave me awful depression from the first day of use (both instances). I could only stay on it three weeks the first try, and one night the second. If you are someone with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or similar, I would suggest strongly against taking this oral contraceptive. It gave me suicidal thoughts that followed into my dreams. Traumatizing experience. If I could rate it lower, I would."

svalentine July 3, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I felt inclined to write a review after reading all the bad ones on here. I have been taking this birth control for almost 4 years now. Firstly, my skin feels and looks amazing and has never been better. My sex drive has not been negatively affected by taking this medication. I highly recommend this birth control for girls looking to increase their breast size (even though I am sure you are perfect the way you are!) I went from a C cup to a full DD. I didn't have any nauseous symptoms with this pill even taking it in the morning on an empty stomach. My period is not heavy either. Don't be afraid to try this medication, it could work for just like it did for me."

=) (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've read a lot of the reviews, and I do relate to the shortened 4 days of real bleeding. The remaining 3 days is light spotting, if that. I used to bleed really heavily for almost 7 days and immediately after I started the first placebo. I chose reclipsen b/c my last bc was causing melasma (pigment patches on my face). I don't see that as much with reclipsen, b/c it's a low dose pill. Other than that, my period on bc have always been less painful. I don't know if I can contribute weight gain or migraines to this pill....too many other factors. I think it does what it needs to with no side effects that I know of, and that's all I need from a bc. So I definitely recommend it."

lilorchid82 July 1, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Over 6 months ago I switched to this from a more traditional bc pill because of nausea. I was taking it for acne and pregnancy protection. Cons: My acne got way worse initially and then leveled off to kind of bad. Gained about five pounds but I'm not sure if it's due to Apri. My periods went from unnoticeable (3-5 days, no cramps) to intolerable, lasting over a week and bleeding like crazy with initial cramping. I have also had frequent yeast infections right before my period since starting this drug. Pros: Boobs got way bigger. Nausea went away."

Anna Ruth June 30, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I decided to take this pill because the last birth control I was on made me bleed 7 days a week every week so i switched to this one and let me tell you one of the worst experiences I've encountered!! As soon as i took my pill the next morning i was throwing up everything that i had ate... The next day i took the pill i was fine all day until morning comes around and AGAIN more throw up... I could handle throwing up but this would hurt my stomach so bad to the point where i was crying... Anyways i have an apt with my doctor this July 8th and I'm switching to something else i know this isn't going to happen to everyone but just in case you were wondering"

armando marie June 30, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Reduced my libido to absolutely nothing, daily migraines, cystic acne, cramps became worse, I had no emotions, hair loss/lifeless hair, and I gained 8 pounds within one month of starting this birth control. I just stopped taking this medication and hopefully my body will be able to get back to normal. I have taken other birth control medications in the past and none of them affected me like this one so just beware of reclipsen."

24 year old (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have endometriosis and my doctor wants me to continuously use this with 3-4 breaks per year to minimize the endometrial growth. I had terrible nausea and bad acne in the beginning, not to mention I spotted for a month straight and then bleed a period flow for another month. Taking this pill before bedtime helped with the nausea. I've been taking this pill for 4 months now and have gained 5-10lbs, the acne is still bad ( I'm 34 and no longer had it before apri ) oh and my libido is non existent since taking this medication. I figured it wouldn't happen to me since I had a very strong libido but it is now gone. I'm going to ask my doctor to change this medication."

D321 June 15, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Beware this drug! I experienced the most horrendous mood swings and extreme anxiety while on this drug. The side effects took a while to develop but once they did it was truly unbearable. I had no idea why my personality was changing so drastically. It was truly terrifying. I wasn't making the connection between this drug and my highly elevated emotions. I told my Dr. on a whim about my terrible anxiety/mood swings and he immediately took me off of kariva. Within a week I was feeling back to my normal self. It has now been 4 months off of Kariva and I have not had one mood swing or case of anxiety. I would never recommend this drug to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it should be taken off the market permanently."

Beware This Drug!! June 9, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Been on this for 6 months and plan and changing to a different one. My acne is ten times worse then it ever has been and I get moody/sad crying spells where all I can do is cry for no reason."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2015

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I HATED this birth control. It worked as in it prevented pregnancy and it regulated my periods, but the side effects were so horrible that I had to stop taking it. While I was on this birth control, I gained an extra 15-20 pounds that I COULD NOT LOSE despite the hours in the gym and the healthy eating. I felt like I was going insane... Hot flashes, extreme mood swings. The mood swings happened all of the time, not just during my period. It didn't help alleviate cramps or anything. I will never ever ever take this again."

homemademashedpotatoes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "At first, I had no problems on Apri. Then about a month in I gained over 10 pounds even though I didn't change my diet or exercise. I also noticed that I became very moody and had random crying spells around my period, which has never happened before. My breasts are also very tender and itchy, and my acne has gotten worse. I never had bad period cramps before I started taking this pill, and now they are extremely painful. Hopefully my doctor switches me to a different pill."

Runforlife1412 May 30, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on cyclessa no problems, until my Dr. Switched me saying that they no longer carry it. April is awful I'm breaking out like a middle school boy and I'm itchy all the time. Just want to know how many people had the same symptoms because my doctor is telling me in order to switch b.c. I have to completely buy a new prescription because breaking out and being itchy "are not side effects"."

Sidney 907 May 22, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Overall I feel that this birth control does a great job. I've been taking it for 3 years to regulate my period and prevent pregnancy with out any problems. I've never experienced any of the sides effects, or at most they were on such a small scale that I didn't notice them. The only thing I dislike is that I don't usually start my period until 3-4 sugar pills in. I don't know how common this is with other women, but that has been the case for me since I began taking it."

Brooke182 May 21, 2015

For Birth Control: "My experience with this pill has been terrible. I switched from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo because it was no longer combatting my acne and my sex drive had started dropping. I got put on Pimtrea and I used it for 3 months which has honestly been a total nightmare. I was bloated all the time, would fly off the handle, insanely irritable, having weird cravings, super anti-social, absolutely zero sex drive, and would have dramatic crying episodes over little things. It didn't seem to help my acne either. My self-esteem was in the toilet. I was NOT myself when I was on this pill. I recently made the switch to the patch and 3 days in I have already noticed a huge difference. I hope that the patch will work better for me than this did."

Anonymous May 20, 2015

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Desogen for almost a month and a half. I get dizzy, have severe headaches, cystic acne, extreme cramps, and the worst part of it all is my moods are awful. I get so angry and emotional at the drop of a hat. So I stopped taking it because I was tired of getting angry all the time and taking it out on my boyfriend. Luckily he's very understanding. My moods and acne have now practically vanished once I stopped taking it."

KelseyDlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been taking this pill for almost a year now. I've tried two other different brands prior to this, but due to insurance issues I had to switch to this. It has been my worst experience with birthcontrol! I've gained about 10lbs since on this pill, even though I workout and eat healthy I can't lose the weight. My period is very irregular, I have awful cramps, and my acne came back. But I think the worst side effect is that my sex drive is non-existing which is affecting my relationship. I will be going off this pill soon, and would rather pay more than keep taking it."

Abee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Apri and they said the name changed to Mirvala and there was no changes to the medicine. However, it seems to have completely changed now! I get my period about a week before my pills have run out, even if I take them at the same time every day. I get cramps through-out the month and a lot of spotting. When I do have my period it is extremely heavy and painful. It's stopping pregnancy, but that's about all that it's doing for me now."

Zepharius (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switched onto apri and I got my period for seven days when before I got it for only 3-5. I get severe cramps, bloating, and heavy periods. I will get spotting for about a week or two after I get my period. It has prevented pregnancy but does not help with any symptoms that come with periods."

Hay bay (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on a bunch of different pills trying to find one that actually worked for me. Previous to this my experiences were heavy periods, terrible cramps, headaches, weight gain, constant spotting, 2 week long periods, anxiety which I never had before going on the pill. I did some research and found that apri contained a different type of estrogen and asked my doctor if I could try it. I'm so glad I did it's been 2 years and all I get is a headache around the time my period is due. I have pretty normal periods and they actually stop when they are supposed to. I get a little spotting the week after but I can deal with it. It normally lasts an hour and goes away."

Apri (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Karvia for about 3 months now and noticed that my breast HURT and are so tender. My periods last 4 days now instead of 3. I get mood swings too."

My breat are tender (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I switched to this to try to eliminate/reducing spotting from my previous birth control brand. Instead, I have had bleeding every single day. Not to mention the horrible bloating and uncontrollable appetite. Not worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "The birth control is definitely doing its job at making sure I don't get pregnant, so that's why I gave it some stars. However, I have been experiencing BAD hair loss and lifeless hair which I have narrowed down to this pill, and have noticed other women mention the same thing. I also get motion sickness in vehicles if I am not driving. I have gained 10 pounds since getting on this medication and my diet and expercise regiment has not changed. My skin was clear to begin with, and I did not end up getting acne from Reclipsen, except for a few pimples right before my period. My periods are average. My PMS seems worse than it used to be. I will be making an appointment to switch my birth control. I hope this helps someone."

Poncha (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015