User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Endometriosis 1 reviews 161 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 163 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 137 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol reviews 379 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Apri for 3 months. I have always had easy, 3-day long periods but I needed birth control. I stopped using it because I had awful, 2-week long periods each month. I was in pain and felt a general sense of sickness. I understand that it takes awhile to acclimate, but it was like it was fighting against my body."

t_j_r July 30, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I LOVE THIS PILL!!! I was having a continuous period for 3 weeks from taking Loestrin after deciding I would start birth control because of my irregular periods. Went back to my GYN told her that Loestrin wasn't working for me and that I was still bleeding. She then prescribed me Kariva cuz she said I needed a higher dose of estrogen. Kariva stopped my heavy period in 1 day. I will say that u will definitely notice a change within yourself when taking this pill, not in a bad way but u will feel the changes your body is making & a change in mood while your body starts to adjust. That was my only side effect."

Brit678910 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I switched to Reclipsen from Zovia after 7 years because I was getting outrageous hormonal acne. I was on it for almost 2 months, and my skin cleared right up. I wasn't getting pimples before my period, and I actually liked my skin again, it was amazing! However, I was CONSTANTLY bloated. I had a huge belly and it had nothing to do with the amount I ate, drank, or worked out. I stopped taking Reclipsen because I couldn't handle the bloated belly; Clear skin just wasn't worth it. I'm still looking for that perfect BC pill. Let the search continue...."

Jrozs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I just found out that I have pcos and have begun my pill regimen. For the women who have kids since taking the pills, how long did it take for our to see results with your ovaries? I do not have any cyst but a lot of wholes."

NicoleB05 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Was on this for about a year, completely cleared up my premenstrual acne. Normally I would only get a couple pimples before each period but this medication didn't cause any, great clear skin. Normal periods, light to moderate lasting about 5 days. No out of normal weight gain, no headaches or mood swings. I'm only giving it 9 stars because it really dried me out down there, needed lube sometimes. Other than that, I'd recommend it if you have a tendency to get premenstrual acne."

vivak (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "It's my first month on the apri pills. I haven't experienced any spotting or acne. I haven't experienced any mood changes amd i still weigh about the same. One day I had a bit of nausea it didn't last long. Over all experience is quite pleasant. I suffer from pms in the middle of my cycle and my periods are very irregular... since being on apri I haven't experienced any pms symptoms (bloating, cramping, mood swings and headaches in between my cycle). Period is getting back in a regular cycle... so far so good."

jenMB July 16, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Reclipsen for about three years now with a brief time on Amethia. I LOVE Reclipsen. I started taking it when I was 15. I have never experienced any negative side effects. The only things I have experienced are my breasts getting a little larger, a MUCH lighter and shorter period, and improved acne. I will stick to this birth control probably until I decide to have kids and after. Highly recommend this for young girls."

JayceeAmara (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on reclipsen for about 5 months now for terrible cramps. Doesn't make the cramps go away completely but for the most part. Gained a few pounds & I've noticed some mood swings & hasn't really done anything for my acne. But overall good for me & id recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Pros: I never became pregnant, I had less frequent and severe cramps and it may have helped with acne although I started a new regimen around the same time. Cons: within the first month of starting I had a yeast infection and over the next 2 years I would have some kind of vaginal or bladder infection every other month. My libido decreased dramatically and in addition to that I was constantly dry down there. I experienced some dizziness and nausea which is to be expected. Lastly, I became a huge cry baby when I used to be able to count how many times I cried in a year on one hand."

Chocolatebenya (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "It's kept me to where I cannot have kids which is a good thing. Sex drive is still as usual. The weird part is I don't get periods anymore. Which has caused me to fear I was pregnant, but otherwise it's fine. I have symptoms of menapause, but I am an 18 year old girl so I can't have it just yet my guess is the side effects?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2015

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on three different kinds of birth control. I used this one twice in the past and had horrible experiences. This pill gave me awful depression from the first day of use (both instances). I could only stay on it three weeks the first try, and one night the second. If you are someone with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or similar, I would suggest strongly against taking this oral contraceptive. It gave me suicidal thoughts that followed into my dreams. Traumatizing experience. If I could rate it lower, I would."

svalentine July 3, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I felt inclined to write a review after reading all the bad ones on here. I have been taking this birth control for almost 4 years now. Firstly, my skin feels and looks amazing and has never been better. My sex drive has not been negatively affected by taking this medication. I highly recommend this birth control for girls looking to increase their breast size (even though I am sure you are perfect the way you are!) I went from a C cup to a full DD. I didn't have any nauseous symptoms with this pill even taking it in the morning on an empty stomach. My period is not heavy either. Don't be afraid to try this medication, it could work for just like it did for me."

=) (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've read a lot of the reviews, and I do relate to the shortened 4 days of real bleeding. The remaining 3 days is light spotting, if that. I used to bleed really heavily for almost 7 days and immediately after I started the first placebo. I chose reclipsen b/c my last bc was causing melasma (pigment patches on my face). I don't see that as much with reclipsen, b/c it's a low dose pill. Other than that, my period on bc have always been less painful. I don't know if I can contribute weight gain or migraines to this pill....too many other factors. I think it does what it needs to with no side effects that I know of, and that's all I need from a bc. So I definitely recommend it."

lilorchid82 July 1, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Over 6 months ago I switched to this from a more traditional bc pill because of nausea. I was taking it for acne and pregnancy protection. Cons: My acne got way worse initially and then leveled off to kind of bad. Gained about five pounds but I'm not sure if it's due to Apri. My periods went from unnoticeable (3-5 days, no cramps) to intolerable, lasting over a week and bleeding like crazy with initial cramping. I have also had frequent yeast infections right before my period since starting this drug. Pros: Boobs got way bigger. Nausea went away."

Anna Ruth June 30, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I decided to take this pill because the last birth control I was on made me bleed 7 days a week every week so i switched to this one and let me tell you one of the worst experiences I've encountered!! As soon as i took my pill the next morning i was throwing up everything that i had ate... The next day i took the pill i was fine all day until morning comes around and AGAIN more throw up... I could handle throwing up but this would hurt my stomach so bad to the point where i was crying... Anyways i have an apt with my doctor this July 8th and I'm switching to something else i know this isn't going to happen to everyone but just in case you were wondering"

armando marie June 30, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Reduced my libido to absolutely nothing, daily migraines, cystic acne, cramps became worse, I had no emotions, hair loss/lifeless hair, and I gained 8 pounds within one month of starting this birth control. I just stopped taking this medication and hopefully my body will be able to get back to normal. I have taken other birth control medications in the past and none of them affected me like this one so just beware of reclipsen."

24 year old (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have endometriosis and my doctor wants me to continuously use this with 3-4 breaks per year to minimize the endometrial growth. I had terrible nausea and bad acne in the beginning, not to mention I spotted for a month straight and then bleed a period flow for another month. Taking this pill before bedtime helped with the nausea. I've been taking this pill for 4 months now and have gained 5-10lbs, the acne is still bad ( I'm 34 and no longer had it before apri ) oh and my libido is non existent since taking this medication. I figured it wouldn't happen to me since I had a very strong libido but it is now gone. I'm going to ask my doctor to change this medication."

D321 June 15, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Beware this drug! I experienced the most horrendous mood swings and extreme anxiety while on this drug. The side effects took a while to develop but once they did it was truly unbearable. I had no idea why my personality was changing so drastically. It was truly terrifying. I wasn't making the connection between this drug and my highly elevated emotions. I told my Dr. on a whim about my terrible anxiety/mood swings and he immediately took me off of kariva. Within a week I was feeling back to my normal self. It has now been 4 months off of Kariva and I have not had one mood swing or case of anxiety. I would never recommend this drug to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it should be taken off the market permanently."

Beware This Drug!! June 9, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Been on this for 6 months and plan and changing to a different one. My acne is ten times worse then it ever has been and I get moody/sad crying spells where all I can do is cry for no reason."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2015

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I HATED this birth control. It worked as in it prevented pregnancy and it regulated my periods, but the side effects were so horrible that I had to stop taking it. While I was on this birth control, I gained an extra 15-20 pounds that I COULD NOT LOSE despite the hours in the gym and the healthy eating. I felt like I was going insane... Hot flashes, extreme mood swings. The mood swings happened all of the time, not just during my period. It didn't help alleviate cramps or anything. I will never ever ever take this again."

homemademashedpotatoes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "At first, I had no problems on Apri. Then about a month in I gained over 10 pounds even though I didn't change my diet or exercise. I also noticed that I became very moody and had random crying spells around my period, which has never happened before. My breasts are also very tender and itchy, and my acne has gotten worse. I never had bad period cramps before I started taking this pill, and now they are extremely painful. Hopefully my doctor switches me to a different pill."

Runforlife1412 May 30, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on cyclessa no problems, until my Dr. Switched me saying that they no longer carry it. April is awful I'm breaking out like a middle school boy and I'm itchy all the time. Just want to know how many people had the same symptoms because my doctor is telling me in order to switch b.c. I have to completely buy a new prescription because breaking out and being itchy "are not side effects"."

Sidney 907 May 22, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Overall I feel that this birth control does a great job. I've been taking it for 3 years to regulate my period and prevent pregnancy with out any problems. I've never experienced any of the sides effects, or at most they were on such a small scale that I didn't notice them. The only thing I dislike is that I don't usually start my period until 3-4 sugar pills in. I don't know how common this is with other women, but that has been the case for me since I began taking it."

Brooke182 May 21, 2015

For Birth Control: "My experience with this pill has been terrible. I switched from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo because it was no longer combatting my acne and my sex drive had started dropping. I got put on Pimtrea and I used it for 3 months which has honestly been a total nightmare. I was bloated all the time, would fly off the handle, insanely irritable, having weird cravings, super anti-social, absolutely zero sex drive, and would have dramatic crying episodes over little things. It didn't seem to help my acne either. My self-esteem was in the toilet. I was NOT myself when I was on this pill. I recently made the switch to the patch and 3 days in I have already noticed a huge difference. I hope that the patch will work better for me than this did."

Anonymous May 20, 2015

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Desogen for almost a month and a half. I get dizzy, have severe headaches, cystic acne, extreme cramps, and the worst part of it all is my moods are awful. I get so angry and emotional at the drop of a hat. So I stopped taking it because I was tired of getting angry all the time and taking it out on my boyfriend. Luckily he's very understanding. My moods and acne have now practically vanished once I stopped taking it."

KelseyDlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015