User Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, Velivet, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Review by DMH2014:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Apri for a few years and it works 100% great! -My acne is nonexistent -my periods are always falling on the 3-4 days that are supposed to -My cramps are gone, I used to curl over in pain because of them! Now I have little to no discomfort -BUT the reason I gave a 9 out of 10 is because, your sex drive is close to none, I hate it for my husband, which is why I'll probably have to make a switch soon, but for me, I love the product!

July 20, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by Pofish (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): My sister switched to this birth control after I had such a success with it. I haven't noticed any weight gain, in fact I have successfully lost weight on it after making some dietary changes. I get more emotional than usual the first day back on it after taking the 4th week off. Besides that, no complaints. So glad to find a birth control that works for me without any crazy side effects. Been over 2 years on it now. LOVE it.

July 8, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by iFreyja (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I first started using Reclipsen about a year ago. The first thing that I noticed was that my libido was noticeably reduced, (which was a bit annoying,) and my overall emotions were dulled a bit, so that I was more indifferent to things than before. (Although I don't particularly mind this, that might be a breaking point for someone else.) I tried Enskyce for a bit, and ended up switching back due to side effects. Reclipsen works better for me, and keeps my periods light and regular. I've never had an issue with weight gain or acne, so that's something to be considered, as well. All in all, I'm happy with it.

July 6, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Emma Glover:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been taking Reclipsen for a little more than a year and it has been great! My periods last about the same as when I wasn't taking it (a bit heavier). The first few months I started taking it I lost about 10 pounds and now I am back to my normal weight. I would recommend it to anyone.

July 4, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by Koliver16:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Pros: prevented pregnancy well, shortened period, cleared acne Cons: gained 20lbs, scalp hair loss, very heavy cramps, migraines, mood swings

July 4, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have been on Reclipsen for about two years now and am switching off of it. I was previously on another birth control that was to low of a dose when I switched over to Reclipsen. Although it has prevented pregnancy the mood swings and weight gain have been enough for me to finally get rid of it. My periods and cramps were also still seven days and severe.

July 2, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Momoftwinsx2:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Bloating, headhaches, WEIGHT GAIN! Moody, irritably. I can't stand it.

July 1, 2014 8:13 AM

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've used Reclipsen for 10 months now and I've only had a few problems. I get a little more moody that I used to, but I feel like moodiness is pretty common anyway. My period is a little heavy on the second day but only lasts 4 days. It is GREAT at preventing pregnancy, it cleared up my acne, didn't gain any weight, and my breasts got bigger! I have however had a few urinary tract infections over the past couple months, they are quite painful but not a deal breaker. Also not sure if they were due to Reclipsen. Overall a wonderful experience!

June 28, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by Torontonian (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on this birth control for about 5 months now...And it sure is doing its job very well. But I do get huge headaches from time to time and feeling dizzy for about 2 months now. When I started to take this birth control everything was fine. But until now I'm thinking of trying another brand of birth control.

June 26, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Jessica Jeanne:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): So I had to switch from Caziant to this and the first month was fine but all of a sudden I'm always angry and although I don't break out normally I have acne all over my cheeks and like I've seen with other people I think I might have a yeast or bacteria infection, which I have never had before.

June 21, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by jornee93 (taken for less than 1 month):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Started this pill and took it at night right before bed, woke up every morning with terrible morning sickness, dizziness, and awful headaches.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 2:15 AM

Review by PennyGadem:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Apri was great for the first month and a half. I take this pill religiously and have never missed or thrown up a dose. Then I had the worst period I've ever experienced in my life while I still had a week and a half of active pills left. I couldn't even drive that week. The period symptoms finally ended but the bleeding itself did not. It lightened up, but continued for three more weeks. This is ruining my sex life for the time being and I've gone through two boxes of liners. I switched to a higher dose of estrogen and will start taking it next week - and thank God.

June 18, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by BriLopezzzzzz:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have been on Reclipsen for about two years now. It does it's job by preventing pregnancy and I get my periods regularly. I haven't tried skipping my period yet though. Closer to my period I get moody but what girl doesn't, I also crave weird things while on my period. I started to get migraines, I'm not sure if it is because of the birth control however. I used to get then really bad about a year into taking birth control but now my migraines are less frequent. Like I said, I'm not sure if it is because of the medication or not. Otherwise my face is clear, always has been. I didn't gain any weight nor my hair didn't grow. I plan to keep being on Reclipsen but it can be annoying to take a pill everyday.

June 17, 2014 7:05 PM

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I started this when I was 13, for heavy period relief. Pros- No weight gain, shortened my period from 7-8 to 4-5 days. Cons- Before Reclipsen, I never had cramps, moodiness, or really ANY period symptoms or PMS, although my period lasted for 7-8 days and was very heavy, it was honestly pretty easy going. After I began Reclipsen, my period was shortened to 4-5 days but it took about 3 days of active pills for it to start, and two of my inactives for it to stop. This hasn't stopped. I started getting cramps, moodiness, and extremely bad PMS. I used to act NO different on my period than off, but since starting Reclipsen it's been much worse.

June 17, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by Kobato (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Apri for about a year now, since I took it I had no extreme side effects however, it didn't do much to regulate the length of my periods which stayed in 5 days, didn't clear up my skin though I never had an acne problem to begin with, I did take away my sex drive and I gained 7 pounds but I didn't get pregnant which is why I needed it to begin with. Overall it does the main job.

May 20, 2014 8:19 PM

Review by pesto (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I had been on Reclipsen for a year and use it to regulate and skip periods. From the very start everything was going well, I had better skin, no weight gain, when I skipped there was no spotting or anything. But I did notice that when I would stand up too fast I would have a slight and short cramp. And it wasn't until I just tried out a new birth control (Microgestrin for 3 weeks) that I noticed how Reclipsen depleted my sex drive completely. I might end up switching back to Reclipsen and try taking B vitamins.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Mel. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Apri 28 for about two and a half months now, For about the first two weeks of starting it my stomach was so upset, I couldn't really eat much food. But it did go away. My breasts did get bigger and I gain a little weight but also I've been working out so I don't know if its Muscle gain or from the pill, Another thing is, My period either comes super early, like two weeks early or a week late. I know it's probably just my body not used to the pill and it won't follow the pills schedule until after 6 months of taking it, however my periods don't really hurt at all now. But I'm just sharing my journey so far in case anyone one else has been experiencing the same stuff.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by Laney3535:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have been on Reclipsen for 3 months for terrible periods (I'm 15), and my acne isn't any better then it was before, my periods are just as heavy as before and I've gained 17 pounds. It caused severe mood swings, anxiety attacks, weight gain, more acne, strange cravings, always hungry, and didn't help with amount of blood or my cramps. The pros are it shortens my period to 6 days rather then 12-16 days, but I still bleed abnormally heavy to anemic point. The weight gain is the worst.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 7:51 PM

Review by kscafs:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I just started taking this pill this week, so far not that bad of side effects except I'll get nauseous at night usually after I eat. (I take it in the afternoon). I just recently switched birth controls from Sorynox to this one. I was getting horrible mood swings and getting extremely depressed out of nowhere. It was driving my boyfriend crazy. My doctor switched me to this one and told me to take a vitamin B pill with it. So if you're getting mood swings and depressed try taking a vitamin B pill with your birth control.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by Nursejrb:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've tried many different birth controls for about 3 yrs prior to taking Apri. I took Apri for my acne & birth control for 2 yrs & it worked great. I decided to stop taking birth control altogether about 1.5 yrs ago. My acne came back immediately but my periods were lighter and I didn't have cramps while I was off of it. My dermatologists prescribed me Accutane for my acne but I decided to try birth control again. I've been taking Apri for 4 months & my skin is basically completely clear. Maybe 1 or 2 when it's TOM. However I've noticed recent weight gain (10 lbs in 2 wks) & increase in my appetite & cravings. My breasts are sore & noticeably bigger. I'm worried this is side effects from Apri. But 10lbs is better than acne!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by lulu2014:

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I was on Desogen for 7 years and never got pregnant, had shorter, lighter periods. All medicines have side effects that being said; the down side was slight increase of my blood pressure & slight weight gain. When I was ready to start my family it only took me 2 months to get pregnant. Now I have to be on a different pill because I've had my baby & our hormones change but haven't found a pill that works as well as Desogen did.

April 4, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by ctay7893 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Reclipsen for about a month now. This is my first oral contraceptive. I love this birth control. I used to have SEVERE cystic acne but this stuff keeps my skin so clear. Another thing I love about Reclipsen is that is levels out my mood and I don't have mood swings like I used to. Also I've noticed since switching I've been in the "mood" way more. I did gain 5 pounds but no complaints here! I am very thin and the weight has filled out my body! My breasts are so much perkier and larger, which is a plus for me! I also think this made my hair grow. I've had a sudden growth in my hair and I have done nothing different to it. Only downside is it causes me to lightly bleed.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Would not reccommend (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Although Apri was very effective in doing its main job, preventing pregnancy, the side effects were very bad. I had perfectly clear skin prior to going on Apri, and about a month after starting I started having very severe break outs. I had noticeable mood swings that were not present before going on Apri. After being on Apri for 5 months, I have now switched to Sprintec which is a pill with a higher dose of estrogen. After being on Sprintec for a month I have noticed my skin clearing slightly and no crying spells before my period. Works better for me and would recommend it over Apri!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 12:32 PM

Review by Ortho-cept (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This was the first birth control pill I went on. I broke out at first, but it went away after about 2 months. Breasts went from an A to a C (only good side effect) but it made me gain weight and also made me really emotional and angry all the time. I had to switch because of that. Now I'm on Lutera.

March 22, 2014 12:36 AM

Review by RAiSiNB:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have been taking Reclipsen for a little over four years. From the beginning, I never really had any issues with this birth control. I gained 5-7 lbs within the first few months (not a big deal to me) and had some irregular spotting. Since then, the only side effects were breast tenderness (around my menstrual cycle) and some moodiness during my period. What girl doesn't get moody during that time? Overall, I haven't had any other side effects. I will continue with Reclipsen until otherwise.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate