User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Juleber, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been on Reclipsen for a few months now. Pros- lighter periods, no stomach cramps, no acne, no babies. Cons- mood swings, TERRIBLE back pain during period, lower sex drive, no weight gain (if already active)."

Anonymous May 24, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Kariva for probably 3 years or less now, and it is my favorite bc. I have tried others with crazy emotional side effects and heavy bleeding. Kariva gets rid of my period about 99% of the time, and with that, it decreases sex drive. It got rid of my acne, and constant hot flashes. I didn't gain any weight on it. In fact, I just came off of Kariva a few weeks ago due to a severe yeast infection which I had no idea what was causing, and since then my hormones are insane from being off of it. I keep binge eating, have cramps, my vagina is almost tingling a lot, my face gets very flush and red and my skin is super dry. I gained 6 lbs in that time and hadn't changed my eating patterns. I am going back on Kariva due to this."

jwall1989 May 18, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've jumped around to many birth control pills through the years - some landed me in the hospital with severe blinding abdominal pain, some made me suicidal, and some made me nauseous. This is the first one that did not do that so I was thrilled. It also bettered my severe cystic hormonal acne to only about a blemish or two a month. However, it absolutely killed every ounce of my sex drive which used to be high and healthy. That's been very frustrating. Otherwise, okay pill."

Alexa88 May 14, 2016

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this birth control for about six months now and it's by far the best one I've ever taken. It definitely does the job, no babies and lighter periods, the first month was hard, depressed and low sex drive but those symptoms have gone now. I started the pack on the first day after my period, it has completely cleared up any acne, my boobs have gone up a size and I feel I've lost some weight due to a lack of appetite. I think if u can get through the first month without any serious problems this medication should work out fine for u. My only issue I would say is some months my period is a few days off."

KJ107 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was put on Desogen after continuous bleeding on Ortho Tri Lo. My practitioner thought I needed higher hormones. Desogen stopped all the spotting but it killed my sex drive. Even when I did have any sexual desire I didn't get the physical affects of arousal like lubrication. It made sex completely unfun even on the rare occasion that I wanted to do it at all. I gained weight while on it but I started it pretty young and I know weight gain is pretty common around that time."

LovelyDuck May 13, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I went on Reclipsen due to severe cramping and heavy bleeding during my periods. It solved that problem, but I had NO libido whatsoever and I was very emotionless. I also gained 10 pounds in the 5 months I was on it and I work out regularly and eat healthy."

Stephanie M May 12, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "While under doctor's care from 2008 to 2009, I was prescribed Apri for pcos from the age of the age of39, to 41, I suffered an ischemic stroke, which has left me totally disabled, or with left-sided, hemi-paresis, permanently, disabled."

New Me! May 6, 2016

Cyclessa (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have never reviewed a medication online but I would like to warn others about this medication. I have taken several different birth control pills due to the fact I am so sensitive to synthetic hormones. My doctor prescribed me to cyclessa to see how my body would react to the hormones in this medication. Let me tell you do not waste your sanity or money on taking this!!! Out of all of the pills I have taken this BY FAR has been the most awful experience. I experienced the worst anxiety and depression of my life. I got to the point where I wouldn't even answer the phone if my friends or family called me. I was crying and extremely emotional over everything. Sex drive=RIP, dead. I also became extremely mean to my fiancé for no reason."

Shelley4556 May 4, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This pill is effective as a birth control pill but the side effects are absolutely miserable! Each month before my period, I get horribly depressed and incredibly emotional and irritable. I also get constant headaches on this pill. Would not recommend if you have anxiety or pmdd as it only seems to exacerbate these conditions."

SeaElle23 May 3, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started taking apri because I was trying to do fertility treatments. The first day I took it I was fine but I felt really warm after taking it. The second day I took it I still felt warm when taking it. I went to work and was very nauseous. I ended up vomiting all day while at work. I could barely stand up my stomach hurt so bad. So I quit taking it. My stomach hurt for 3 days after that. Now i am supposed to be ovulating and have seemed to come on my period again but a lighter color than usual and much lighter. But I was just on a week ago."

Missb84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Apri for almost nine months and it works great for me. I was 135 pounds when I started taking it and I am now down to only 117 pounds. Also my period used to be heavy and I ended up getting it twice a month but once I started apri I now only have it for five days tops and it is absolutely fine. I used to break out really bad and my face would get really red but thanks to apri I only get a pimple every now and then and my face is no longer red. Apri works great for me I love it."

TLFoster May 1, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I really like this birth control. When I'm not on birth control I have extremely painful menstrual cramps, very heavy periods, and crazy hormonal acne breakouts. It took about 2 and a half months to see any improvements, but my face is almost always completely clear, I have much lighter cramps, and a much lighter flow. I did feel a little nauseous for the 1st couple days, but I had no weight gain and no other adverse health or psychological complaints. The only other complaint I could state would be that within a week of taking the pill, my sex drive was almost completely gone. The main reason I am staying on the birth control is for the acne treatment! It is something I have been struggling with for years and I am so happy with the results"

hkarlsson April 26, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Been on reclipsen for about a week and a half. My face is breaking out so bad, and I usually have very good skin. I feel swollen all over especially my face and legs, and lately I have been having pounding head ages not to mention the horrible cramps ."

Anonymous April 26, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Kariva for less than 2 years, and I guess I never read the drug information because my sex drive is near nothing. I even get annoyed when sex is brought up. My period is only 3 days long though, and no nausea or cramping to go with. But, the fact that my body refuses sex now is getting ridiculous. My doctor suggested it for me because I am pretty moody or my moods flipped a lot on everything else I tried. But Kariva was the last thing I could try. I'm breaking up with it. I miss being intimate with my boyfriend..."

kjox00 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2016

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on this product for years so I dont know if the effects are from the pill or just me personally. It does the job; regular, lighter periods and no babies. But I never want to have sex. I thought something was wrong with until I lost my script. Also about 48 hours of PMS but that's it."

ouchy222222 April 21, 2016

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This pill made me nauseous the first 2 months I took it. I gave it awhile to kick in after that, it works wonderful. My acne has gone away, I do not have any weight gain, decreasing weight actually. My breast have enlarged somewhat. Overall it's a great pill and very effective. The only downside is I can get emotional but that's every girl right? ;)"

Kelseyyy April 18, 2016

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This will be my 4th month using Kariva. The only thing it helped with (besides preventing pregnancy) was making my period shorter. I went from 8 long, heavy and painful days to only 2 very light, no pain days! Other than that, I've been miserable . It hasn't helped with acne at all, it actually started to cause body acne which I've never had. Also, a huge issue that I have, I'm VERY dry down there; causing it to hurt during my period when I want to insert a tampon AND painful sex. I can't even begin to describe how painful it is, it's like my insides are being torn apart & the pain doesnt go away for hours after trying to have sex. Its taking a huge toll on my relationship. I would not recomennd this pill. I will have to talk to my dr soon."

Alexanicole16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been using this BC for years and really like it. No pregnancy or side effects. I briefly tried a different generic and it gave me side effects, though Reclipsen doesn't. I agree with the comments that everyone's body is different -- even my sister uses a different brand than I do. Find what is right for you!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2016

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on ortho Tri cyclen but stop due to stomach pain I switch over to this and notice I cry for any little thing. This pill has made me feel so emotional and I'm usually stronger than that. I had to discontinue."

Orlando, Fl April 7, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on reclipsen for about a month now. I started taking it to regulate my period and as a form of birth control. Seems to be doing the job, no pregnancy scares so far. I did notice severe mood swings before my period started, but not sure if that was due to things going on in life or the pill. Other than mood swings no negative side effects. Would recomend"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Out of the 15 years I have taken birth control this one has been my favorite. It made me have regular light periods and toned down my mood swings. Didn't gain any weight and never got any pimples. I'm extremely sad my new insurance doesn't cover it anymore and I am devastated. I am now on the hunt for a new bc and have had no luck with one that responds well with my body."

harlowmae April 4, 2016

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This birth control made me miserable. I could not even take it for one whole week. Immediately after taking it I started to feel sick. I had a headache every day after starting to take this pill. It made me feel tired, lazy, depressed. It seriously made me feel like I was pregnant all over again!!! I also felt really bloated right after taking it. My pharmacist recommended it because my new insurance wouldn't cover my old bc Pimtrea. They said it would be basically the same and it definitely was not. I know everyones body responds differently but this one has been the worst for me. I have been taking birth control for 15 years and this is the only one that has ever made me feel sick."

harlowmae April 4, 2016

"I've been using this product for around 3 years now and I definitely would recommend. I had no bad side effects no weight gain nothing. I have more regular less painful periods and don't have to worry about pregnancy."

Funcrkndad April 4, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Just about to finish my first month of reclipsen. I had never taken birth control before and was a bit terrified to start this one. I noticed I was very emotional and cried a couple of times even at work which had never happened in the year and half that I've worked there. My breasts did swell a little which was nice since I'm an A cup. My period started 3 days into the inactive week. I've always had painful cramps and trouble sleeping while on my period but this one was by far the worst. The first night I started my cramps were extremely painful and I couldn't fall asleep after waking up in the middle of the night for the first two nights. Acne is the same it hasn't helped or made it worse. Overall this has been a decent 1st experience"

KC1992 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I had been off birth control for about a year when I decided I wanted to go back on it. My doctor recommended Reclipsen; she believe it would clear up the little bit of acne that I had on my cheeks and forehead. I took Reclipsen for 4 months in total and it was a nightmare. The first month my breasts were extremely tender. They were tender to the point that it was painful to sleep in various positions and I could hardly exercise due to the pain. By month 2 I started to feel like my whole body was swollen. My face also looked swollen, and my acne actually became much worse! I lost my sex drive and felt miserable. I stopped taking it because I felt like I was becoming a monster! Lutera was much better for me, so I'm back to that!"

SydH April 1, 2016