User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on cyclessa no problems, until my Dr. Switched me saying that they no longer carry it. April is awful I'm breaking out like a middle school boy and I'm itchy all the time. Just want to know how many people had the same symptoms because my doctor is telling me in order to switch b.c. I have to completely buy a new prescription because breaking out and being itchy "are not side effects"."

Sidney 907 May 22, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Overall I feel that this birth control does a great job. I've been taking it for 3 years to regulate my period and prevent pregnancy with out any problems. I've never experienced any of the sides effects, or at most they were on such a small scale that I didn't notice them. The only thing I dislike is that I don't usually start my period until 3-4 sugar pills in. I don't know how common this is with other women, but that has been the case for me since I began taking it."

Brooke182 May 21, 2015

"My experience with this pill has been terrible. I switched from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo because it was no longer combatting my acne and my sex drive had started dropping. I got put on Pimtrea and I used it for 3 months which has honestly been a total nightmare. I was bloated all the time, would fly off the handle, insanely irritable, having weird cravings, super anti-social, absolutely zero sex drive, and would have dramatic crying episodes over little things. It didn't seem to help my acne either. My self-esteem was in the toilet. I was NOT myself when I was on this pill. I recently made the switch to the patch and 3 days in I have already noticed a huge difference. I hope that the patch will work better for me than this did."

Anonymous May 20, 2015

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been taking Desogen for almost a month and a half. I get dizzy, have severe headaches, cystic acne, extreme cramps, and the worst part of it all is my moods are awful. I get so angry and emotional at the drop of a hat. So I stopped taking it because I was tired of getting angry all the time and taking it out on my boyfriend. Luckily he's very understanding. My moods and acne have now practically vanished once I stopped taking it."

KelseyDlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been taking this pill for almost a year now. I've tried two other different brands prior to this, but due to insurance issues I had to switch to this. It has been my worst experience with birthcontrol! I've gained about 10lbs since on this pill, even though I workout and eat healthy I can't lose the weight. My period is very irregular, I have awful cramps, and my acne came back. But I think the worst side effect is that my sex drive is non-existing which is affecting my relationship. I will be going off this pill soon, and would rather pay more than keep taking it."

Abee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on Apri and they said the name changed to Mirvala and there was no changes to the medicine. However, it seems to have completely changed now! I get my period about a week before my pills have run out, even if I take them at the same time every day. I get cramps through-out the month and a lot of spotting. When I do have my period it is extremely heavy and painful. It's stopping pregnancy, but that's about all that it's doing for me now."

Zepharius (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was switched onto apri and I got my period for seven days when before I got it for only 3-5. I get severe cramps, bloating, and heavy periods. I will get spotting for about a week or two after I get my period. It has prevented pregnancy but does not help with any symptoms that come with periods."

Hay bay (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on a bunch of different pills trying to find one that actually worked for me. Previous to this my experiences were heavy periods, terrible cramps, headaches, weight gain, constant spotting, 2 week long periods, anxiety which I never had before going on the pill. I did some research and found that apri contained a different type of estrogen and asked my doctor if I could try it. I'm so glad I did it's been 2 years and all I get is a headache around the time my period is due. I have pretty normal periods and they actually stop when they are supposed to. I get a little spotting the week after but I can deal with it. It normally lasts an hour and goes away."

Apri (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Karvia for about 3 months now and noticed that my breast HURT and are so tender. My periods last 4 days now instead of 3. I get mood swings too."

My breat are tender (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched to this to try to eliminate/reducing spotting from my previous birth control brand. Instead, I have had bleeding every single day. Not to mention the horrible bloating and uncontrollable appetite. Not worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "The birth control is definitely doing its job at making sure I don't get pregnant, so that's why I gave it some stars. However, I have been experiencing BAD hair loss and lifeless hair which I have narrowed down to this pill, and have noticed other women mention the same thing. I also get motion sickness in vehicles if I am not driving. I have gained 10 pounds since getting on this medication and my diet and expercise regiment has not changed. My skin was clear to begin with, and I did not end up getting acne from Reclipsen, except for a few pimples right before my period. My periods are average. My PMS seems worse than it used to be. I will be making an appointment to switch my birth control. I hope this helps someone."

Poncha (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "The 1st 2 weeks of being on Apri, my appetite increased. I was hungry all the time. But after the 2 weeks my appetite went back to normal. I gained maybe 5 lbs. I didn't get any acne. My periods have always been heavy and I went on birth control for them to get lighter but this pill did nothing. My periods were still heavy and I got bad cramps. It did what its supposed to do and that was prevent pregnancy. I liked Apri overall."

rozlyn April 24, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Highly recommend, no weight gain or mood swings compared to other birth control pills I have taken. Everyone is different but I give this birth control an excellent review because of the experiences I have had with others."

Ashley z April 9, 2015

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I am 25 have tried about 5 different types birth control pills. I was on Velivet for about 8 months. I know every one is different but for the last 3-4 months I was on it I was getting 2 full periods per month instead of 1/month. Another down fall was it completely shutdown my sex drive which is fine if you are single and looking to stay out of trouble. The pros of this pill are: kept my acne away and it kept my mood stable no crying or moodiness. Before this pill I was on Sryonx and it turned me into a crying machine. I am now switching to Reclipsen hopefully it helps with reducing my periods to once a month. In conclusion it was not a good enough pill to make me want to stay on it."

MaTorres (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2015

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have used this pill for the last month, and I just started on my second month. I want to say that I started this pill not on the first day of my period, the reason why I wanted to go on the pill was because my period was irregular. I've lost a total of 10 lbs since starting this pill, and I've noticed that my appetite is a lot smaller now than it was before. I've tried other birth control pills and those always made me eat like a monster, but with this pill, I feel a lot better. The first month is pretty brutal. I had a fever the day after I first started the pill, and then I felt sick with stomach pains for the first couple of weeks, but after the first month, I'm feeling a lot better. Note that everyone's body works differently."

karnariz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I had terrible side effects. I became extremely irritable and moody, very short tempered. I also lost a ton of energy and was always exhausted. "

:( :( :( April 5, 2015

Pimtrea (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I had never taken birth control before. I am 27 years old and have always suffered with severe pmdd. The pmdd was ruining my quality of life it was so terrible. My doctor reccomended pimtrea. The first week was awful! Horrible bloating, sick to my stomach, vomiting, dizzy. I called my doctor three times that week and told him I could not do this. He assured me the symptoms would go away. Sure enough, the following week I only had bloating. I am onto my second pack of pills and cannot believe that I, for the first time since I was 13, no longer am experiencing the terrible pmdd symptoms. This pill has almost totally taken away all symptoms, except for a little drowsiness. Pimtrea has saved my life and my marriage.I should have took it sooner"

skullsnlace (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "My first full month down. I have had severe headaches.My acne is worse then it's been in years and it's itchy."

Anonymous March 26, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I used this birth control for almost a year, but i decided to stop using it because it was causing me to have really bad mood swings, made me feel like a zombie (emotionless). From the first day I started using this birth control to the last I spotted every single day. The only good thing that came from it i was able to eat again, gained 20 pounds in about 3 months, it cleared my acne and I grew 1 bra size. It also made my feet grow to. This birth control caused me to become hypoglycemic, and gave me an inverted nipple that I have to forever live with. This birth control does it's job and prevents pregnancy but the side effects are not worth it. I recommend trying other birth controls before this one."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've taken this birth control for 6-7 months now, and have been happy with my experience. At first, it definitely affected my mood and made me noticeably more irritable than before. However, I stuck with it and my mood has improved. It cleared my skin, and my acne is more controlled that it has been in years. It eliminated almost all cramps that come with my period, and my period is much shorter than before. It has also been effective in preventing pregnancy. All around, I've been happy with Reclipsen. If anything, my only complaint would be a slight rise in moodiness that has been manageable with time."

Lindsey_T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "This pill is great. I started taking it for terrible back pains during periods and it helped a lot. I didn't gain weight and it cleared up my acne from the birth control I was taking before. My fav part is that it made my periods only last about 4 days!"

Shelden March 22, 2015

"Was put on pimtrea for severe pmdd. I am 27 and have never been on birth control. The first week on the pill was terrible. I was sick to my stomach, bloated non stop and felt dizzy. Then magically, all the symptoms went away and I felt great. It is likely that I experienced the symptoms I did because I have never been on birth control. My body had to adjust to it. This medicine has saved me! Pmdd symptoms are minimized. No more horrible mood swings, and all of the symptoms associated with the pill. I am amazed and wish I would have tried this years ago."

Anonymous March 20, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on this birth control for about 6 months. At first I had rapid weight loss. But in the past few months I've retained several pounds of water weight. No issues with mood changes, or loss of sex drive. My period comes every Thursday of the week of the blue pills. It lasts till usually Saturday night. I've yet to get pregnant so besides these small side effects I would deffintly recommend this birth control. My skin has never been better, it's no longer oily, and I only break out the week of my period."

eieieijdje3883299 March 20, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I started taking Reclipsen about a week ago. I have had migraines, mood swings, and I have broken out in hives and gotten rashes several times as well. I will keep being on it for a little while but I will be calling my doctor because the hives are not normal."

College student (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

Caziant (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Caziant for 9 months now and the only adverse side effect I've had is weigh gain, other than that it's worked great! I've gained about 15 pounds since starting the meds and have been exercising a ton and eating very healthy the entire time, so I'm fairly certain it has to do with the medication. I haven't had mood swings, my periods have been incredibly regular with no spotting in between, no headaches or nausea so all-in-all I would say this is a good birth control!"

thendngiver March 13, 2015