Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, Velivet, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol review summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Review by rozlyn:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): The 1st 2 weeks of being on Apri, my appetite increased. I was hungry all the time. But after the 2 weeks my appetite went back to normal. I gained maybe 5 lbs. I didn't get any acne. My periods have always been heavy and I went on birth control for them to get lighter but this pill did nothing. My periods were still heavy and I got bad cramps. It did what its supposed to do and that was prevent pregnancy. I liked Apri overall.

April 24, 2015 11:28 PM

Review by MaTorres (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I am 25 have tried about 5 different types birth control pills. I was on Velivet for about 8 months. I know every one is different but for the last 3-4 months I was on it I was getting 2 full periods per month instead of 1/month. Another down fall was it completely shutdown my sex drive which is fine if you are single and looking to stay out of trouble. The pros of this pill are: kept my acne away and it kept my mood stable no crying or moodiness. Before this pill I was on Sryonx and it turned me into a crying machine. I am now switching to Reclipsen hopefully it helps with reducing my periods to once a month. In conclusion it was not a good enough pill to make me want to stay on it.

April 7, 2015 11:08 PM

Review by :( :( :(:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I had terrible side effects. I became extremely irritable and moody, very short tempered. I also lost a ton of energy and was always exhausted.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2015 12:14 PM

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): My first full month down. I have had severe headaches.My acne is worse then it's been in years and it's itchy.

March 26, 2015 9:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I used this birth control for almost a year, but i decided to stop using it because it was causing me to have really bad mood swings, made me feel like a zombie (emotionless). From the first day I started using this birth control to the last I spotted every single day. The only good thing that came from it i was able to eat again, gained 20 pounds in about 3 months, it cleared my acne and I grew 1 bra size. It also made my feet grow to. This birth control caused me to become hypoglycemic, and gave me an inverted nipple that I have to forever live with. This birth control does it's job and prevents pregnancy but the side effects are not worth it. I recommend trying other birth controls before this one.

March 26, 2015 11:29 AM

Review by Shelden:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This pill is great. I started taking it for terrible back pains during periods and it helped a lot. I didn't gain weight and it cleared up my acne from the birth control I was taking before. My fav part is that it made my periods only last about 4 days!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2015 10:41 PM

Review by College student (taken for less than 1 month):

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I started taking Reclipsen about a week ago. I have had migraines, mood swings, and I have broken out in hives and gotten rashes several times as well. I will keep being on it for a little while but I will be calling my doctor because the hives are not normal.

March 14, 2015 8:27 AM

Review by Jema888 (taken for 10 years or more):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have taken Apri for about ten years now. The pill has helped with my acne, migraines, period regularity, and cramping. I have not had any side effects. No depression, weight gain, loss of sex drive, or any other negative side effects. I also have not gotten pregnant, so the pill is doing its job!

February 25, 2015 10:41 AM

Review by Square Egg (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I took this for 6 months. It does a pretty good job at clearing up my skin but occasionally I get large single zits once in a while. I did not experience any bad moods, fatigue, or weight gain as with other pills so Azurette is the most tolerable pill by far for me. But it causes so much hair loss I need to switch to a different pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 7:47 PM

Review by Mikayla.:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Apri for a week and a half and have had very bad crying spells out of no where and depression. I have to use the bathroom every like 30 minutes. And my acne has gotten worse.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by Meg44444 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This pill put me in pretty deep depression. I was extremely emotional and cried about everything all the time. I didn't gain weight, but it didn't really help with acne and it caused me to get my period about 2 times a month. I had to stop taking it because I was so sad all the time and couldn't stand it.

February 15, 2015 6:04 PM

Review by JD1220:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Severe weight gain - 20lbs, worse acne, headaches daily, mood swings, anxiety and starving all of the time! I had previously been on Trisprintec and will be switching back to it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2015 11:38 AM

Review by Mary123456:

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Tried lots of different pills after the one I was on was discontinued and nothing worked for me so I stopped trying for about 3 years. When my doctor suggested the pill for acne I said sure why not. This pill is one of the few I don't have spotting or crazy 3 week periods with. The only downside is that I find my cramps are 10x worse, and I have gained some weight, I've especially seen that my breasts have grown. My acne has been a lot better and my periods are more normal although they do last a bit longer, my mood has also been consistent. Overall, I have had a good experience and happy to have normal, predictable periods.

February 6, 2015 5:20 AM

Review by attagirlfromHTX (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Hi! I would like to add my experience with taking Azurette. I have taken it for 4 years and it is honestly a great option. I had normal period flows before getting on birth control (7 days), but severe cramps. Azurette completely relieved me of cramps and my periods were lighter (3-4 days). Here's why I can't give it a 10: I do feel more moody - not bursting into tears every other day, but slightly more snappy/angry/sensitive to things that otherwise wouldn't bother me so much. I've had to learn to control that, but it's annoying. Sex drive over time has decreased - but I'm also a lot more stressed since starting my career (I'm 26). Lastly, I decided that worrying about daily pills is also annoying.

February 5, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by Norah123:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've used Reclipsen since I was 16 and have never had any problems. Most importantly, I've never gotten pregnant. It helped with my acne as a teenager, and I've never experienced mood swings. Periods are light and very regular. I gained a little weight in high school and college, but this is probably due to many other factors (quitting sports, not exercising, eating poorly, etc.) as opposed to the birth control. Both of my sisters have also switched to Reclipsen after experiencing mood swings/other problems with other birth controls and have seen good results. Highly recommend.

February 5, 2015 1:03 PM

Review by Sunny327:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This pill made me gain weight and caused unbelievable depression. It also did not properly regulate my period.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 8:31 PM

Review by Ms36 (taken for less than 1 month):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): At 36 years of age, this is my first ever birth control pill. I was placed on Apri 2 months prior to my myomectomy (surgery to remove fibroid tumors from utérus). I 've been taking them for 2 1/2 weeks now. I didnt get my period as scheduled and I've expérienced fréquent crying spells.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 11:56 PM

Review by KenyaH (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I had bad side effects after taking this pill for a month. I was throwing up, had really bad cramps, headaches, constant nausea, and frequent urination.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 9:31 PM

Review by fachelle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Today marks a month and a week since I've been on this pill. I was on it before and had no problems so when I found out I had ovarian cysts my dr. Put me back on it. My periods have been not as painful and I'm pretty sure my cysts are gone. (Although I haven't had another ultrasound) but I have been nauseous every single damn day. My breasts hurt and I always feel sick. I'm not sure the side effects outweigh the benefits. I'll give it a couple more weeks to let my body adjust to the hormones and update, but this is awful.

January 16, 2015 8:46 PM

Review by Kasey LC:

Although this product does work in preventing pregnancy, I have had a few issues with it. I have significantly gained weight in a short period of time (about 10lbs) and my sex drive is slim to none. My cramps are worse than they were when I was not on birth control. If I took the pill an hour or two later than normal I would spot and I was spotting all month long because of this. I also believe my hair is thinning. You have to consider my age, I am 21. At this time as a woman my body is changing (metabolism, hormones). My timeline may be a cause to these problems. I have been taking this birth control since I was 15. As of a year ago I have been having the issues with sex drive and weight gain.

January 10, 2015 9:05 AM

Review by Cats122 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Started this birth control because I had really really bad cramps. It cured my cramps and made my period lighter. I had no side effects with it other than the first month I was constantly hungry. I'm happy that the first birth control pill I tried worked perfectly for me.

December 31, 2014 8:19 PM

Review by ksssh129 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This was the first birth control pill I went on, and I wish I never stopped. I've been on like 4-5 other types but this one has been the best so far from my experience. The only downside was gaining 5 pounds, but it wasn't noticeable at all. If my current pill doesn't work out, I will be requested a prescription for Desogen again.

December 23, 2014 2:48 AM

Review by Daria W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I completely lost my sex drive. It's like eating broccoli, you just don't want it.

December 11, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by loveliepeaches (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I tried Tri-Nessa for one whole month and it did nothing for me. I still bled like crazy and it was just horrible. I went to my doctor after the trial period with Tri-Nessa was up and let her know I wasn't satisfied SO she changed me to Velivet. I kid you not after 2 days my unstoppable hemorrhaging stopped!! After 6 months of constant blood & discomfort this pill stopped it. The 1st month that I was on my period after the Velivet was very painful. There was constant lower abdominal and lower back pain. I endured it and I've been loving it ever since. For me it does the opposite I have a regular libido sometimes a bit high lol. I've noticed that I'm more emotional and the week before my period I do get grouchy but overall I'm so thankful.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:03 PM

Review by Erin1111:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I switched to Reclipsen three weeks ago from Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, and my skin has cleared up considerably. I haven't experienced any of the painful cystic acne that I was getting on Ortho Tri-cyclen. I haven't experienced any negative side effects from it either. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

November 15, 2014 12:14 PM