Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Kariva, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Pimtrea, Reclipsen, Solia, Velivet, Viorele

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Review by lulu2014: User Rating:

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I was on Desogen for 7 years and never got pregnant, had shorter, lighter periods. All medicines have side effects that being said; the down side was slight increase of my blood pressure & slight weight gain. When I was ready to start my family it only took me 2 months to get pregnant. Now I have to be on a different pill because I've had my baby & our hormones change but haven't found a pill that works as well as Desogen did.

April 4, 2014 12:54 AM
Review by ctay7893 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Reclipsen for about a month now. This is my first oral contraceptive. I love this birth control. I used to have SEVERE cystic acne but this stuff keeps my skin so clear. Another thing I love about Reclipsen is that is levels out my mood and I don't have mood swings like I used to. Also I've noticed since switching I've been in the "mood" way more. I did gain 5 pounds but no complaints here! I am very thin and the weight has filled out my body! My breasts are so much perkier and larger, which is a plus for me! I also think this made my hair grow. I've had a sudden growth in my hair and I have done nothing different to it. Only downside is it causes me to lightly bleed.

March 30, 2014 8:31 PM
Review by Would not reccommend (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Although Apri was very effective in doing its main job, preventing pregnancy, the side effects were very bad. I had perfectly clear skin prior to going on Apri, and about a month after starting I started having very severe break outs. I had noticeable mood swings that were not present before going on Apri. After being on Apri for 5 months, I have now switched to Sprintec which is a pill with a higher dose of estrogen. After being on Sprintec for a month I have noticed my skin clearing slightly and no crying spells before my period. Works better for me and would recommend it over Apri!

March 29, 2014 12:32 PM
Review by Ortho-cept (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This was the first birth control pill I went on. I broke out at first, but it went away after about 2 months. Breasts went from an A to a C (only good side effect) but it made me gain weight and also made me really emotional and angry all the time. I had to switch because of that. Now I'm on Lutera.

March 22, 2014 12:36 AM
Review by RAiSiNB: User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have been taking Reclipsen for a little over four years. From the beginning, I never really had any issues with this birth control. I gained 5-7 lbs within the first few months (not a big deal to me) and had some irregular spotting. Since then, the only side effects were breast tenderness (around my menstrual cycle) and some moodiness during my period. What girl doesn't get moody during that time? Overall, I haven't had any other side effects. I will continue with Reclipsen until otherwise.

March 12, 2014 4:53 PM
Review by Rsarises: User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): After my first month on this pill, I have had non stop acne on my chin like I have never had before. Also, I had my period (5 days) and then continued to spot for another 7 days. I don't weigh myself but it is obvious I've gained weight as well. Don't even get me started about my over the top mood swings. I never had these problems when I was on Orthocept. Even though it has been only one month and it may balance out after a few months, I do not think I will wait to find out.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 1:45 AM
Review by Eskarina: User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I am 25 yrs and have started Reclipsen only a month ago. Before using it I had long, painful and heavy periods (7-9 days). I do know it is early to say, but I wanted to share my experience since I was really freaked out when planning on starting it, while reading all the bad reviews. So far the only side effect is the breakthrough bleeding. It lasted for 7 days. On a plus side, my period lasted only 4 days, and only 1 day I had cramps (before Reclipsen, 4 - 5 days of some sort of cramps). If the breakthrough bleeding stops happening in the next couple of months I am coming back and giving it a 10 on the rating scale. No mood changes, no pain, no weight gain so far.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2014 6:59 PM
Review by Petty and Pretty (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Reclipsen pros prevents pregnancy, clear skin, regular cycles. Cons weight gain, extreme mood swings, longer periods, depression, nausea, increased appetite, frequent yeast infection/bacterial vaginitis combination. I will finding a better match for me. I was taking Reclipsen for about 1 year then stopped taking it and all my cons went away. I lost 15 pounds with no change in activity and my yeast infections and mood swings stopped.

February 25, 2014 1:10 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Been on Kariva for 2 months and it has its good and bads.. BAD: I have never experienced such bad mood swings in my life. I have little patience, i get extremely mad and aggivated very easily, i can be happy one minute, then CRAZY another minute. So be aware of the horrible mood swings. Didnt do anything for my 7day period. I break out a week before my period. GOOD: it does prevent you from getting pregnant even on the first month.

February 19, 2014 4:40 PM
Review by Ahmi (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I was put onto Apri because I had horrible cramps and long heavy periods. I took it for about six months, and around the 5 month mark, my longtime boyfriend and I broke up. He told me it was because I was "too emotional" and stressed him out. He was right, before Apri I was always happy and relaxed, but on it. I would lie in bed at night and cry sometimes for no reason at all. I had constant fatigue, frequent headaches, mood-swings, moodiness, and felt depressed a lot of the time. After a conversation with my boyfriend, I realized that we began to argue about the time I got onto Apri. I went to my doctor and told her this and she told me that this was because its high levels of progesterone. I switched and am much better now without Apri.

February 19, 2014 12:01 AM
Review by Anonymous124: User Rating:

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I was taking Viorele for 2 months. Before taking Viorele my face was completely clear but since I've been taking it, my face is COVERED in painful acne Other than the acne, the pill is great.

February 18, 2014 10:44 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho-Cept (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I was on Orthocept for about 4 months and for the first 2 and 1/2-3 months it was great! It regulated my periods, and they only lasted 2-3 days which was awesome! I did have worse cramps then I did when I wasn't on the pill but they tended to last only about 2 days. I had to quit Orthocept when I was just about finished my 4th pack because I found that it was like I was PMSing for 3 weeks at a time and my period wouldn't stop. When I first started the pill it was phenomenal and never once did I feel like I would get pregnant even without using a condom (I always took my pill within 5 minutes of the same time everyday). I highly recommend this, I know everyone's experience will be very individual but I loved it for the first while.

February 11, 2014 7:09 PM
Review by KittyKat333: User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): The first thing to remember is that everyone's body will react completely differently to different types of birth control. It all depends on YOUR body. I was on Reclipsen for one year. I'm a pretty up-beat and happy person but literally as SOON as I started taking Reclipsen I fell into depression. I hated it. I wasn't myself, I was moody, irritable, I lost confidence and I was really really sad which is not like me at all. I also gained a ton of weight which didn't help with the whole self confidence thing. The only good thing I have to say about it is that I didn't get pregnant and my periods were shorter.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 5:05 PM
Review by Phallocentric (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Desogen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I switched to this from Ortho Tri Cyclen six months ago to help with unwanted facial hair. It hasn't helped and it's made my hair and skin very oily. My skin hasn't looked this bad since I was sixteen. I'm using acne toner, spot treatment, oil-free moisturizer, and a foundation for acne-prone skin and none of it has made any difference. I have constant mood swings and cry easily. I'm switching back to Ortho Tri Cyclen next week.

February 3, 2014 2:56 PM
Review by Mackenziejewell: User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This isn't my first time using this brand. All I can say is it made me want eat all day everyday. Made me nauseous but started taking it at night and that helped . It also gives me horrible mood swings during my period.

January 29, 2014 6:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Apri was my first ever birth control. The first month I experienced horrible symptoms (breakthrough bleeding for 30 days straight, bloating, cravings, nose bleeds, and vaginal odor) I contemplated getting off of it altogether but after the 30days I returned back to normal and it has been great since then! Everyone's body is different so this was just MY personal experience. I was taking it in preparation to consummate my marriage and I would suggest to any other women working on a timeline to start it waaaaay in advance so as to avoid and prepare for any changes to your cycle time and bodys adjustment.

January 16, 2014 1:07 PM
Review by Uh, (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Been on this birth control for 3 weeks and I've had acne on my chin like I haven't had in years and I am constantly starving to the point of sickness as well as extremely fatigued. This is terrible. Going to give it another month to see if it levels out but I highly doubt it will.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 9, 2014 5:05 PM
Review by allygirl13: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Not really impressed with this. Ortho-Cyclen was much better for me. I have been on it for 9 months and at first it was ok but after a while I would get painful, heavy periods the first day, backaches during period, breasts hurt all the time, and no sex drive whatsoever. Will be coming off of this soon.

January 9, 2014 2:57 PM
Review by lms6393 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I took Apri for over 2 years with no side effects. My periods went from extremely heavy for 6-7 days to very light for 3-4 days. My cramps went away, skin cleared up a little bit. Then I switched to Implanon for a month. During that time I bled every single day and broke out horribly all over my chest and back. So I got that removed and went back on Apri. Since then my periods have gone back to normal, I've gone up 2 cup sizes in the last 8 months, but I have been experiencing some very mild nausea and lightheadedness. I love it overall.

December 23, 2013 4:18 PM
Review by jenatoller: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Apri was prescribed to me as my first birth control pill to use..ever. I have been taking them for a month so far. Before Apri, I had been experiencing very tender breasts, break outs, and constant food cravings before my period would start. My period was also very irregular. After taking Apri, my breasts no longer become painfully tender before my period (period flow is the same but shorter 3-5 days when it used to be 5-8 days). I do not get moody, rather it has not affected my mood at all. I've noticed my breasts getting bigger. No weight loss or gain so far. I have the same appetite but I seem to become fuller sooner.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 8, 2013 8:56 AM
Review by duck1970: User Rating:

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Horrible starting with the very first pill: severe cramping, migraine, lose bowels, tiredness, confusion, nausea. Had to stop after taking only three pills. Been on the pill off and on since the age of 19. I'm now 43 and this is the absolute worst experience I've had with a birth control pill.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 21, 2013 9:47 PM
Review by jackienld (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I decided to give Apri a 10/10 score because I've been on this pill for 11 months now and had absolutely no issues with it. As for clearing acne, my acne was already starting to fade away before taking the pill so I haven't had too many issues. I still break out sometimes before my period is due. My boyfriend and I have not used any back up method of birth control and I haven't gotten pregnant...so I suppose it's doing its job. But of course, I realize we still SHOULD be using a back up method. Before getting on this pill, I used to have horrible cramping and very heavy periods, lasting as long as 10 days. Now I have short, pain-free periods that last usually from Thursday to Saturday (or very light on Sunday when I begin my new pack.)

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 14, 2013 3:26 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This birth control is wonderful because I never have cramps (I used to have them so bad that I would throw up) I rarely have acne (I've never had worse than very mild acne before though) My boobs grew (Big boobs run in my family...) But it gives me CONSTANT yeast infections(I shower daily, sometimes twice and wear full coverage underwear and this doesn't make a difference!!!). I will be switching soon... No mood swings either.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 11, 2013 3:27 AM
Review by Hayrodgers555: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been taking Apri for 5 months now in hopes to clear my acne. There has been zero improvement! Although everything else about Apri is positive. No weight gain

November 10, 2013 9:37 PM
Review by trace31: User Rating:

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I have been on Reclipsen (Desogen) , the first birth control I've been on. And I have to say I love it. I always have clear, soft skin, love my periods for being on time, I knew what hour it would come, and when it ends, it was perfect. So I have been on Reclipsen for 1 year and 6 months and I started realizing crazy mood swings during the placebo pills (the PMS week) and my mood would be irritable then happy, it was bipolar, I also realized a lot of hair loss (but then again I really have thick hair), I also realized shortness of breath super easily. I already talked to my doctor about switching. My doctor switched me to Seasonale, I'm kind of nervous switching.

November 7, 2013 11:41 PM