User Reviews for Desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Apri, Azurette, Bekyree, Caziant, Cesia, Cyclessa, Cyred, Desogen, Emoquette, Enskyce, Isibloom, Kariva, Kimidess, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, ...show all 20 brand names

Learn more about Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol.

Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Did what birth control is suppose to do , caused frequent crying spells around my period time for no reason at all.. The cramps were horrible causing vomiting which never happened.. Overall it does the main job, prevent pregnancy"

Ny123 August 19, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Apri since I was 18 years old..I am now 24. Using apri, it has always done its job in regulating my period and keeping me obviously from getting pregnant and I have been happy with that. However, if you have a sensitive stomach I recommend something else. I am going to be changing my birth control soon due to the fact that when I take my pill... couple hours later I vomit uncontrollably until its ran its course though my system. I've tried everything I also work in the medical field so I have tried things even beyond the norm. Yet here I am 6 years later still with my head in the toilet. If you dont have a sensitive stomach this birth control is excellent, if you have digestive problems or sensitive stomach, I do not recommend"

meglG August 19, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on reclipsen for years. For me, I DID make my periods lighter, and helped with severe cramps, and cleared my acne, boobs bigger. On the downside, I put on about 10 lbs, that I COULD NOT get rid of. I felt bloated all the time. I quit gluten, I quite carbs, my sisters thought I had an eating disorder. I had chronic yeast infections too. I finally went off it, and the weight FELL off. At first I attributed it to the fact I was walking more. But then I went back on 3 packs ago, and back up 8lbs. I'm still still as active (per fitbit). It's back to constantly feeling fat and bloated. None of my clothes fit, my sleep is always interrupted. I'm hot/cold/hot cold."

Anonymous August 16, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I'm on it for PCOS rather than not getting pregnant. My periods returned, were regular, no acne and my life quality went up. However I still got cysts and never lost the obscene amount of weight this condition caused. So BC wise, it was excellent. But it didn't help my PCOS."

HometownRunaway (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Made acne worse!!! If you already have issues with acne, I strongly recommend avoiding this medication. I only took it for 6 days and my break outs got much worse. In addition to that, I gained at least 5 lbs in that short amount of time and had mood swings. I specifically asked my doctor for a birth control that would also help with acne. I'm going to ask to be switched to a pill that is an anti-androgenic."

T-73 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have been on Kariva for 3 months and liked it pretty well. It definitely does its job with preventing pregnancy and also made my periods super light and short (4 days) which was nice. But I gained about 10 pounds on it which was awful! It did make my breasts fuller but the weight gain is terrible. No change in sex drive but it did cause some serious dryness for me in that I just wouldn't get wet down there which was frustrating for me and my bf! But overall not a bad price for a pill that does its job."

Bobbi_5239 August 6, 2015

Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Terrible. Suffered with fatigue, nausea, headache, severe depression, and many pms symptoms. Couldn't even take it for a whole month. Had to stop after almost 2 weeks"

Mash97 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

Mircette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I hope people aren't deterred by other reviews on this site. Typically people go online to leave bad reviews. I, on the other hand, have had a GREAT experience with this birth control thus far. I have been on it for about a month and have had no side effects! Before Mircette I tried EVERYTHING- Sprintec, tri-sprintec, the patch, the ring, Yaz, etc. A lot of pills made me very moody, anxious, depressed, or excessively fatigued. Some pills made me very sick to my stomach. Mircette has been awesome. My hormonal acne has already cleared up, I don't get upset to my stomach at all, and I haven't experienced mood swings. I am thrilled that I finally found a birth control that works for me. I HIGHLY recommend trying it."

R_Drake (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Took brand Mircette for 2 months. Great for skin & body adjusted quickly to brand only. Had no immediate side effects but the manufacturer never made enough. Was forced to generic. Estrogen placebos did nothing to help menstrual migraine/estrogen withdrawls dibiltating headaches. It was actually worse on this pill. Many trips to ER. On brand I didn't have the daily headaches. Sex was ridiculously painful on both & 3rd month on brand was unbearably dry in my vagina. Took kariva & had the most dibiltating migraine/daily headaches ever. All dr's denied the correlation. Had break though bleeding/spotting tampon amounts for 3 months & then anemic. Demanded to be removed off this! Get rid of your gyno if she doesn't believe you."

MissAces (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I was on Apri for 3 months. I have always had easy, 3-day long periods but I needed birth control. I stopped using it because I had awful, 2-week long periods each month. I was in pain and felt a general sense of sickness. I understand that it takes awhile to acclimate, but it was like it was fighting against my body."

t_j_r July 30, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I LOVE THIS PILL!!! I was having a continuous period for 3 weeks from taking Loestrin after deciding I would start birth control because of my irregular periods. Went back to my GYN told her that Loestrin wasn't working for me and that I was still bleeding. She then prescribed me Kariva cuz she said I needed a higher dose of estrogen. Kariva stopped my heavy period in 1 day. I will say that u will definitely notice a change within yourself when taking this pill, not in a bad way but u will feel the changes your body is making & a change in mood while your body starts to adjust. That was my only side effect."

Brit678910 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I switched to Reclipsen from Zovia after 7 years because I was getting outrageous hormonal acne. I was on it for almost 2 months, and my skin cleared right up. I wasn't getting pimples before my period, and I actually liked my skin again, it was amazing! However, I was CONSTANTLY bloated. I had a huge belly and it had nothing to do with the amount I ate, drank, or worked out. I stopped taking Reclipsen because I couldn't handle the bloated belly; Clear skin just wasn't worth it. I'm still looking for that perfect BC pill. Let the search continue...."

Jrozs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Azurette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Was on this for about a year, completely cleared up my premenstrual acne. Normally I would only get a couple pimples before each period but this medication didn't cause any, great clear skin. Normal periods, light to moderate lasting about 5 days. No out of normal weight gain, no headaches or mood swings. I'm only giving it 9 stars because it really dried me out down there, needed lube sometimes. Other than that, I'd recommend it if you have a tendency to get premenstrual acne."

vivak (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "It's my first month on the apri pills. I haven't experienced any spotting or acne. I haven't experienced any mood changes amd i still weigh about the same. One day I had a bit of nausea it didn't last long. Over all experience is quite pleasant. I suffer from pms in the middle of my cycle and my periods are very irregular... since being on apri I haven't experienced any pms symptoms (bloating, cramping, mood swings and headaches in between my cycle). Period is getting back in a regular cycle... so far so good."

jenMB July 16, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on Reclipsen for about three years now with a brief time on Amethia. I LOVE Reclipsen. I started taking it when I was 15. I have never experienced any negative side effects. The only things I have experienced are my breasts getting a little larger, a MUCH lighter and shorter period, and improved acne. I will stick to this birth control probably until I decide to have kids and after. Highly recommend this for young girls."

JayceeAmara (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on reclipsen for about 5 months now for terrible cramps. Doesn't make the cramps go away completely but for the most part. Gained a few pounds & I've noticed some mood swings & hasn't really done anything for my acne. But overall good for me & id recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Pros: I never became pregnant, I had less frequent and severe cramps and it may have helped with acne although I started a new regimen around the same time. Cons: within the first month of starting I had a yeast infection and over the next 2 years I would have some kind of vaginal or bladder infection every other month. My libido decreased dramatically and in addition to that I was constantly dry down there. I experienced some dizziness and nausea which is to be expected. Lastly, I became a huge cry baby when I used to be able to count how many times I cried in a year on one hand."

Chocolatebenya (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "It's kept me to where I cannot have kids which is a good thing. Sex drive is still as usual. The weird part is I don't get periods anymore. Which has caused me to fear I was pregnant, but otherwise it's fine. I have symptoms of menapause, but I am an 18 year old girl so I can't have it just yet my guess is the side effects?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2015

Velivet (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've been on three different kinds of birth control. I used this one twice in the past and had horrible experiences. This pill gave me awful depression from the first day of use (both instances). I could only stay on it three weeks the first try, and one night the second. If you are someone with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or similar, I would suggest strongly against taking this oral contraceptive. It gave me suicidal thoughts that followed into my dreams. Traumatizing experience. If I could rate it lower, I would."

svalentine July 3, 2015

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I felt inclined to write a review after reading all the bad ones on here. I have been taking this birth control for almost 4 years now. Firstly, my skin feels and looks amazing and has never been better. My sex drive has not been negatively affected by taking this medication. I highly recommend this birth control for girls looking to increase their breast size (even though I am sure you are perfect the way you are!) I went from a C cup to a full DD. I didn't have any nauseous symptoms with this pill even taking it in the morning on an empty stomach. My period is not heavy either. Don't be afraid to try this medication, it could work for just like it did for me."

=) (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I've read a lot of the reviews, and I do relate to the shortened 4 days of real bleeding. The remaining 3 days is light spotting, if that. I used to bleed really heavily for almost 7 days and immediately after I started the first placebo. I chose reclipsen b/c my last bc was causing melasma (pigment patches on my face). I don't see that as much with reclipsen, b/c it's a low dose pill. Other than that, my period on bc have always been less painful. I don't know if I can contribute weight gain or migraines to this pill....too many other factors. I think it does what it needs to with no side effects that I know of, and that's all I need from a bc. So I definitely recommend it."

lilorchid82 July 1, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Over 6 months ago I switched to this from a more traditional bc pill because of nausea. I was taking it for acne and pregnancy protection. Cons: My acne got way worse initially and then leveled off to kind of bad. Gained about five pounds but I'm not sure if it's due to Apri. My periods went from unnoticeable (3-5 days, no cramps) to intolerable, lasting over a week and bleeding like crazy with initial cramping. I have also had frequent yeast infections right before my period since starting this drug. Pros: Boobs got way bigger. Nausea went away."

Anna Ruth June 30, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I decided to take this pill because the last birth control I was on made me bleed 7 days a week every week so i switched to this one and let me tell you one of the worst experiences I've encountered!! As soon as i took my pill the next morning i was throwing up everything that i had ate... The next day i took the pill i was fine all day until morning comes around and AGAIN more throw up... I could handle throwing up but this would hurt my stomach so bad to the point where i was crying... Anyways i have an apt with my doctor this July 8th and I'm switching to something else i know this isn't going to happen to everyone but just in case you were wondering"

armando marie June 30, 2015

Reclipsen (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "Reduced my libido to absolutely nothing, daily migraines, cystic acne, cramps became worse, I had no emotions, hair loss/lifeless hair, and I gained 8 pounds within one month of starting this birth control. I just stopped taking this medication and hopefully my body will be able to get back to normal. I have taken other birth control medications in the past and none of them affected me like this one so just beware of reclipsen."

24 year old (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): "I have endometriosis and my doctor wants me to continuously use this with 3-4 breaks per year to minimize the endometrial growth. I had terrible nausea and bad acne in the beginning, not to mention I spotted for a month straight and then bleed a period flow for another month. Taking this pill before bedtime helped with the nausea. I've been taking this pill for 4 months now and have gained 5-10lbs, the acne is still bad ( I'm 34 and no longer had it before apri ) oh and my libido is non existent since taking this medication. I figured it wouldn't happen to me since I had a very strong libido but it is now gone. I'm going to ask my doctor to change this medication."

D321 June 15, 2015