User Reviews for Welchol

Learn more about Welchol.

Diarrhea, Chronic 19 reviews 32 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Welchol reviews 35 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Welchol

Review by NittanyLion:

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: My Cardio. wants my LDL lower than the 88 it is now, because of my having a bypass surgery in 1999, he wants it below 70. After about a week of taking 4- 625 mg pills per day I have noticed a change in bowl movement. I used to go once at breakfast, then about an hour later had another Bowel Motion, but more violent and loose. Would stay in the restaurant until 2nd Bowel Motion most of the time, or make sure I was close to one of my usual emergency rest stops--Dr. office, gas station, Port-John or rest room at the mall when doing post breakfast walk. Now, if this works on my A1c (now 7.5) and lowers LDL, without extreme side effects, I will be very happy. After this short period of time I'm feeling pretty safe about not being caught unprepared.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by what the heck:

For Diarrhea, Chronic: I had my gall bladder removed in 2011. I was planning my life around a restroom and it was affecting my social life. I would not go on trips, and did not want to go to anyone's house to eat for fear of an episode. Welchol has been a miracle for me. I only take them as I need them. Sometimes even 1 or 2 a week. It is very expensive, so I'm glad I don't have to take them everyday.

January 31, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by wezzie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Diarrhea, Chronic: I have had severe diarrhea for years after getting gall bladder removed. Had many tests run, tried everything. Eat, bathroom, eat, bathroom I was miserable. I signed up for medication study program after trying many different studies a wonderful caring nurse who led the studies suggested this medicine. WOW, I'm living again. I was spending a large amount of my life in the ladies room now I'm regular. They prescribed me three pills a day it caused consipation. One a day every morning keeps me regular. What a lifesaver, I was miserable.

January 27, 2014 10:38 PM

Review by Jack9999:

For High Cholesterol: Five months ago my total cholesterol was 281 (LDL was 199). I can't tolerate statins so my doctor suggested Welchol. I started eating a plant-based diet (no meat or dairy) and began going for walks in the morning. Yesterday my latest blood test showed that my total cholesterol is now 193 and my LDL is 125. That's the first time in 15 years that my cholesterol has been under 200. The diet and exercise certainly had an impact and I'm sure Welchol pushed the numbers even lower.

September 25, 2013 9:54 AM

Review by BPoppe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Diarrhea, Chronic: Gall bladder was removed in 1994. Ever since then severe diarrhea has been mostly on sometimes off. Many meds later and after seeing GI specialist my primary care physician prescribed Welchol. Great results! I take 6 pills in a divided dose. I still take 1 anti-diarrheal and 'everything' is better now.

August 24, 2013 4:15 PM

For Diarrhea, Chronic: Diagnosed at 18, went on until 28. I had a miserable existence for 10 years. 5 minutes after eating, I better be near a toilet. Gastroenterologists tested and tried so many different things with no success. Told my GI I was having a substantially lower quality of life with this problem. He prescribed me Welchol. The next day, I enjoyed my first meal in years and cried. Truly was a miracle pill for me.

August 19, 2013 6:48 PM

Review by SlayerRick:

For High Cholesterol: 51yr old male - High blood pressure, diabetic with bad HDL/LDL ratio (total cholesterol around 100). I do NOT eat right (but I am getting better at it). Been on the suspension for about a year now. I can tell by my energy level and overall 'feeling' when I take it - don't seem to have the highs and lows. Hate the taste and texture when mixed with plain water so a lot of days I just didn't take it. I have found that if I mix it with 8oz of water and add a shot of orange MIO that it is fine. Also, I was taking it at night (just before bed) but I was having terrible heartburn. Now taking it in the morning and no such problem... Only reason I didn't give it a 10 is ease of use.

June 21, 2013 9:57 AM

Review by Swamp Mama (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diarrhea, Chronic: 2 days before Christmas I came down with diarrhea and it continued to get worse. Many trips to the Drs and hospital and finally after 4 months was sent to a Specialist. He put me on 6 pills a day, 625 mg Welchol. I had gone from a size 20 to a size 12, no energy, headaches, pains and shakes (from diarrhea). This medication has worked wonders for me. I am so happy that I don't have to look for the nearest bathroom and stay close to it any longer. I have had no side effects either. I have gained 2 pounds too. I take all 6 pills at one time about 4 hours after my morning medicines. Welchol works wonders for me.

May 31, 2013 11:19 AM

Review by Sharonbelle (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Diarrhea, Chronic: Doctor said this will help my blood pressure, high cholesterol and diarrhea. I also had gall bladder removed. It works. I'm 69 and plan to stay on it. Tired of looking for restrooms.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2013 2:52 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Surprised at how easy it is to swallow the pills.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2012 2:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Great help.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2012 6:38 PM

Review by Yancey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Diabetes, Type 2: Did not work for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2012 2:08 PM

Review by old bull (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diarrhea, Chronic: After 11 years, one pill this morning. Just ate lunch, no diarrhea yet. Maybe I can start living again.

July 17, 2012 12:28 PM

Review by welcol the works (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Diarrhea, Chronic: Had my gallbladder taken out, got chronic diarreha immediately even by just sipping water. I started off with 2 pills 3x a day, then got too constipated then was able to keep lowering the dose until one pill works for everyday use, but no greasy foods for me. Thanks to Welchol, I can enjoy life again and not live it in the bathroom.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2012 11:23 AM

Review by NPad:

For High Cholesterol: SEVERE Headache (Migraines) and Nausea, some hives and itching after two weeks on medication. I am allergic to Statins (severe muscle pain), and this was my last resort. Genetic High Cholesterol. Diet is my only option at this point. I am a 52 year old female, 125 lbs, 5'5". Stop taking this after two weeks on samples Doctor gave me.

April 21, 2012 8:56 PM

Review by luv_the_mtns:

For Diarrhea, Chronic: I have a similar experience to other reviewers. I had my gallbladder removed in 2002. And have had irritable bowel syndrome for 15 years, with each year it seems to get worse. I couldn't tolerate spending 1/2 my day in the bathroom. It was so awful that I looked for where the bathroom was at a restaurant before I ordered, just so I knew where to go when the meal was done. When the stomach cramps and the, "oh poop, I gotta poop" feeling came on. By the 2nd day of taking Welchol, it started working for me. I only went to the bathroom once, the entire day! For me, that was a miracle. I still try not to eat trigger foods or drink coffee (I LOVE coffee, but my stomach thinks otherwise) But at least I can live a normal life again, something I had forgotten about.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2012 9:42 AM

Review by snookie95:

For Diarrhea, Chronic: I got my gallbladder removed a little over 2 years ago. I could not eat anything. Most drinks would even make me sick. I have seen several doctors, but the GI doctor gave me Welchol and I take two 625mg pills twice a day with food. I no longer have to watch what I eat. I have been prescribed several meds prior to Welchol, but nothing helped. 4 pills sounds like a lot, but if needed I can even take 6 pills per day. I never have to take more than 4 though. Ask your doctor for these. You will not be sorry!

April 16, 2012 10:09 AM

Review by techgurl1988:

For Diarrhea, Chronic: I had my gall bladder out in 1998. I suffered with the diarrhea 5-8 times a day and was miserable. What is even worse, I am obese and so doctors didn't believe me that I was having watery diarrhea so often. I didn't get prescribed anything until 2011 so 13 years of suffering. I was first given Colestid but found I could not tolerate the powder. A new doctor prescribed Welchol. At first I only needed to take 4 a day and it worked. But now I find that sometimes the 6 a day doesn't completely work so I believe I have something else going on-lactose or gluten allergy maybe. I have to take the Welchol on time 3 times a day or the next day I am back to square one. I take 2 big tablets, 3 times a day.

January 7, 2012 8:30 PM

For Diarrhea, Chronic: I had diarrhea for a year and a half following gall bladder removal. I am so grateful to be able to eat without running to the bathroom within ten minutes. The day after I began taking Welchol, I won a dualthlon, probably because I didn't need to use the restroom and I ate a decent breakfast. Thanks for giving me my life back!

November 21, 2011 9:59 PM

For Diarrhea, Chronic: Just had gall bladder removed and then came the runs that won't stop for days. Started on Welchol and 30 mins later I was normal. It's great.

September 21, 2011 9:26 PM

For Diabetes, Type 2: Did help lower blood sugar, but caused constipation. I never built up to taking the full dose.

August 12, 2011 10:35 AM

Review by aecmagn:

For High Cholesterol: Too soon to tell if it is lowering cholesterol, but did want to mention it is very easy to take, but can cause abdominal bloating. I had such gas pains, didn't know how to get comfortable. Doctor suggested Miralax which did the trick with the bloating.

March 21, 2011 1:06 PM

Review by Colleesue:

For Diarrhea, Chronic: After I had my gallbladder out, I had bile salts diarrhea - the as-soon-as-you-eat-your-body-fire hoses-it-out sort. Very uncomfortable, and I lost about 40 pounds before my doctor finally prescribed Welchol. I take one at breakfast and one with dinner (just before the meal - not hours, which is very handy), and it has worked miracles. Highly recommend talking to your doctor if after your gallbladder surgery you're trying to live on dry toast.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2010 8:48 PM

For High Cholesterol: Have been on Welchol Oral Suspension or Tabs for a little less than a year, my LDL-C went down about 38%. Oral Suspension is a nice option, just mix in water bottle with 3/4 filled with water, shake it and have with my dinner.

July 20, 2010 12:32 PM

Review by mariekwga:

For High Cholesterol: I suffered severe diarrhea for many months after gall bladder removal (due to lipid "dumping"), until my doctor prescribed a similar medicine that worked great, but it was a powder which was inconvenient, so he switched me to Welchol which also worked great. The prescription was for 6 pills a day but I never needed that many unless I ate something ridiculously greasy and fatty for every meal, say, fried chicken with french fries and a shake. Otherwise, I just took 1 pill before lunch and 1 before dinner. None needed with breakfast because I just had fruit and skim milk. After about 8 years, my body adjusted to "no gall bladder" but this medicine helped me be able to keep a job and get out of the house away from the bathroom until then.

June 15, 2010 2:01 AM