User Reviews for Welchol

Learn more about Welchol.

Welchol Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 252 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Welchol to treat High Cholesterol

"Medicine worked initially to lower cholesterol but became less effective as time went on. Also, taking three of those "horse pills" twice a day is difficult! They are huge pills."

MAPster July 28, 2015

"Five months ago my total cholesterol was 281 (LDL was 199). I can't tolerate statins so my doctor suggested Welchol. I started eating a plant-based diet (no meat or dairy) and began going for walks in the morning. Yesterday my latest blood test showed that my total cholesterol is now 193 and my LDL is 125. That's the first time in 15 years that my cholesterol has been under 200. The diet and exercise certainly had an impact and I'm sure Welchol pushed the numbers even lower."

Jack9999 September 25, 2013

"51yr old male - High blood pressure, diabetic with bad HDL/LDL ratio (total cholesterol around 100). I do NOT eat right (but I am getting better at it). Been on the suspension for about a year now. I can tell by my energy level and overall 'feeling' when I take it - don't seem to have the highs and lows. Hate the taste and texture when mixed with plain water so a lot of days I just didn't take it. I have found that if I mix it with 8oz of water and add a shot of orange MIO that it is fine. Also, I was taking it at night (just before bed) but I was having terrible heartburn. Now taking it in the morning and no such problem... Only reason I didn't give it a 10 is ease of use."

SlayerRick June 21, 2013

"SEVERE Headache (Migraines) and Nausea, some hives and itching after two weeks on medication. I am allergic to Statins (severe muscle pain), and this was my last resort. Genetic High Cholesterol. Diet is my only option at this point. I am a 52 year old female, 125 lbs, 5'5". Stop taking this after two weeks on samples Doctor gave me."

NPad April 21, 2012

"Too soon to tell if it is lowering cholesterol, but did want to mention it is very easy to take, but can cause abdominal bloating. I had such gas pains, didn't know how to get comfortable. Doctor suggested Miralax which did the trick with the bloating."

aecmagn March 21, 2011

"Have been on Welchol Oral Suspension or Tabs for a little less than a year, my LDL-C went down about 38%. Oral Suspension is a nice option, just mix in water bottle with 3/4 filled with water, shake it and have with my dinner."

Anonymous July 20, 2010

"I suffered severe diarrhea for many months after gall bladder removal (due to lipid "dumping"), until my doctor prescribed a similar medicine that worked great, but it was a powder which was inconvenient, so he switched me to Welchol which also worked great. The prescription was for 6 pills a day but I never needed that many unless I ate something ridiculously greasy and fatty for every meal, say, fried chicken with french fries and a shake. Otherwise, I just took 1 pill before lunch and 1 before dinner. None needed with breakfast because I just had fruit and skim milk. After about 8 years, my body adjusted to "no gall bladder" but this medicine helped me be able to keep a job and get out of the house away from the bathroom until then."

mariekwga June 15, 2010