User Reviews for Cetirizine

Also known as: All Day Allergy, All Day Allergy Children's, Alleroff, Children's Zyrtec, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Hives

Learn more about Cetirizine.

Urticaria 23 reviews 185 medications

7.8
Hay Fever 71 reviews 868 medications

7.5
Summary of Cetirizine reviews 94 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Cetirizine

Review by terrik2525 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Hay Fever: I have taken Zyrtec since it came out years ago. It is the only thing that works for me. And believe me over the last 45 years I have tried everything! I have year round allergies and dog allergies. Once in a while (when the pollen count hits the roof as it does in Missouri) I have to also take an over the counter medication with it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by RTennyson17 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hay Fever: I've been on this at 10mg for a few months to fight my hay fever. It has had some effect, my nose isn't running as frequently, but my eyes are watering and are itchy. If anything it has made my eyes worse. At 10mg it doesn't really do much.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by us395:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I have had hives for five days now, they burn. I took 10mg of Zyrtec but they are no help. I still have the hives and still have the pain that only a ice pack will help.

May 8, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Nicfing (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Took Zyrtec on the advice of my ENT for chronic sinusitis from hay fever. It worked wonders on my sinuses but I can not function on it due to extreme drowsiness and fatigue. I am going to have to stop taking it!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by College Student:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing.

March 25, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by Amityjv (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec works well in combating allergies as well as allergic rhinitis. The best I've found.I take at night about an hour before bedtime and sleep like a baby all night. Love it. First time in years I can say I feel great and not congested from allergies.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by Ragweed sufferer (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried.

August 25, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me.

August 25, 2013 4:22 PM

Review by clebrun (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great.

August 2, 2013 10:04 PM

Review by geobrad7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hay Fever: I have taken cetirizine daily for a few months and have noticed my allergies are now much more under control. Unfortunately it hasn't been a complete package: I also use azelastine nasal spray for allergy prophylaxis. Though it is a common side effect, I never experienced drowsiness, even when taking it early in the day.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2013 6:19 PM

Review by gnjbivens (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hay Fever: It worked great on my seasonal allergies. I've had a real problem with insomnia. Decided to check for causes and here I am. I've been extremely sleepy during the day, but chalk that up to the lack of sleep. I can't sleep more than 2 hours nightly. It's killing me! After reading all these reviews, I'm going to skip it today. I hope I don't begin to itch like so many of you did. It's a shame. It made a world of difference to my head and sinuses.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2013 5:36 AM

Review by naomi96:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!

June 9, 2013 10:32 AM

Review by johnny Ray:

For Hay Fever: Less sneezing, watery eyes, and I could feel the mucus drying up reminiscent of an expectorant medicine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2013 9:19 AM

Review by 55Epi Deb:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!

April 22, 2013 12:13 AM

Review by anonymous_6:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: I have had chronic idiopathic urticaria AND demographism for the last 14 years with no identifiable cause. 10mg daily works great and keeps the hives away. The drowsiness subsides after prolonged use.

April 18, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by Iamanonymous:

For Hay Fever: I have been on cetirizine for about 2 years now. I am now off it now. This medicine can cause severe itching when you come off of it. A full body itch that is completely distracting and makes you want to tear all of your skin off. I have tried to ween myself off of it, lowering my dose from 20mg to 10mg per day gradually over time, but this has had little effect. After about 48 hours of not having the medicine my body goes into full itch. I have to wear winter boots and oven mitts and jean clothing to prevent myself from itching.

April 9, 2013 11:26 PM

Review by No dust and pollen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Urticaria: Good for my runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes and itchy eyes due to the allergy with dust, pollen or any other thing like dog and cat's fur, even chemicals and food especially nuts. But doctor's give 10 mg a day and its been good since; although I am taking it less and less as and when I catch those allergies. Causes me some drowsiness and constant yawning!

January 3, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by bobbyx:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: It really did not work for me. My eyes itched a bit less, but my nose just kept itching and running. Also sneezed multiple time after 1st dose. Tried a 2nd tablet 4 hours later with no noticeable results. This may work for some people but I get better relief from Benadryl, which works well but causes drowsiness.

October 3, 2012 5:18 PM

Review by Secko08 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Urticaria: I suffer from Giant Urticaria which is caused from several different things like Pepsi Max and Persil Washing Powder. My Dr. provided 10mg Cetirizine and I take it only when the reaction starts and within 30 minutes the itchiness stops and after a few hours the hives and redness have completely gone. It does make me very drowsy but that's a small price to pay for relief. Great product, highly recommended.

August 10, 2012 4:39 AM

Review by lgs11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I just took Zyrtec for the first time yesterday. It did make me drowsy but I also didn't get much sleep the night before. I took it because my eye was so itchy and watery it had become swollen and I was having trouble breathing. I have had allergies for over 15 years but never took anything before this. Well I don't know if this is an unlisted side effect but I woke up in my sleep cracking up and could not stop laughing for a few minutes even after my husband woke me. I wonder if anyone else had intense dreams while on this medication. I don't take anything else that would cause this.

May 21, 2012 12:14 PM

Review by Claudy-76 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Urticaria: My daughter has been taking this medicine for several months for the treatment of Urticaria, and it's had NO effect.

April 28, 2012 8:42 AM

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: Zyrtec worked well for my nasal allergies, but when I tried to stop taking it after several years, I got the skin itch/rash that many have reported. It was worst for the first few days, but now even a year later I still frequently get a skin rash when I get warm (cholinergic urticaria). I can't say for sure that the cholinergic urticaria was a side effect of stopping Zyrtec, but skin rashes were never a symptom of mine until I stopped.

March 15, 2012 11:43 PM

Review by AllergySufferer:

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: As someone who uses Zyrtec as one of 2 primary treatments (The other being Benadryl.) I can vouch that Zyrtec gets the job done as described. 24 hours of itch free and low-drowsiness is very suitable for me. If you are someone having withdrawals from Zyrtec then you don't take it right. It only occurs when your body needs the Zyrtec in order for your brain to be chemically balanced. This usually occurs if you take it based on a schedule rather then when you notice your real symptoms. If you listen to your doctor and/or the label, then you will be like me as someone who is happy to be symptom free.

March 14, 2012 8:54 PM

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: It works better than any other medicine I have tried. Down side is the itching, which is caused by its negative effect on the liver. Therefore, I do not take it everyday. I have to wait a day or so in between.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2012 8:14 PM

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Hay Fever: I thought Zyrtec (cetirizine) was great at first because it worked so well on my allergies. I have gained 15 pounds over 1-1/2 years. I didn't think it was related to Zyrtec, but recently figured out that it is. I am an extremely healthy eater (no processed foods or white flours/sugars), a runner and triathlete without weight issues before Zyrtec. I attributed the weight gain to age, hormones and finally my thyroid. Blood tests ruled out the hormone and thyroid issues. I only take HRT & Zyrtec. I stopped Zyrtec 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds without any changes in diet. I am willing to suffer with allergy symptoms if I can lose this weight.

February 27, 2012 5:44 PM