Cetirizine chewable tabletsPronunciation
Generic Name: cetirizine (se-TIR-i-zeen)
Brand Name: Zyrtec
Cetirizine chewable tablets is used for:
Preventing or treating symptoms of hay fever and other upper respiratory allergies such as stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy, watery eyes. It is also used for preventing or treating chronic hives. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cetirizine chewable tablets is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Do NOT use cetirizine chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in cetirizine chewable tablets or to hydroxyzine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using cetirizine chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with cetirizine chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems, or you are receiving dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with cetirizine chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Perampanel or theophylline because they may increase the risk of cetirizine chewable tablets's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if cetirizine chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use cetirizine chewable tablets:
Use cetirizine chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take cetirizine chewable tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of cetirizine chewable tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use cetirizine chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Cetirizine chewable tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use cetirizine chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using cetirizine chewable tablets.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using cetirizine chewable tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Cetirizine chewable tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to cetirizine chewable tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Cetirizine chewable tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking cetirizine chewable tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Use cetirizine chewable tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using cetirizine chewable tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially stomach pain and trouble sleeping.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if cetirizine chewable tablets can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using cetirizine chewable tablets while you are pregnant. Cetirizine chewable tablets is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking cetirizine chewable tablets.
Possible side effects of cetirizine chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth; stomach pain (in children); tiredness; trouble sleeping (in children).
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); persistent fatigue.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of cetirizine chewable tablets:
Store cetirizine chewable tablets between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep cetirizine chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about cetirizine chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cetirizine chewable tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take cetirizine chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about cetirizine chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to cetirizine chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using cetirizine chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.