User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Tegretol review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Reviews for Tegretol to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

Review by Thebigempire (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have spent 17 years with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. This medicine gave me 4 years pain free. It took a long time to work, seems like almost a year, but worked great for a time. Guess now it's on to something else.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by ANGELSFLYWITHME:

Stoped the pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Side effects like unsteadyness, fingers twitching, sore joints, seeing aura's, reading difficulties, speaking difficulties.

June 12, 2013 5:58 PM

Review by Lindy1628 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been put on this medication for pain. After 6 mouth operations - I was left with terrible upper gum and palate pain. I have only been on it for 5 days - it is not working. The pain is severe and constant. I am praying - as I take it longer - it will take the pain away.

April 24, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by Connie 1963:

I was initially put on Tegretol only to have it stop working after about 3 weeks. Dr. added Neurontin and eventually had surgery to remove the blood vessel and wrap the nerve. Best of luck to anyone with this terrible condition.

March 27, 2013 1:05 AM

Review by Katie2umnc:

This is the only medication that has helped me! It's great!

March 15, 2013 12:34 AM

Review by Jan4acure (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My problem started with severe uvetis/iritis (inflammation of the iris) for which I was under a eye specialist care. This went on for almost 3 yrs before the Dr was able to get it under control. I lost a lot of vision the the left eye (it was in both eyes). Eventually I became aware that I had tested positive for Lyme disease in 2005 but was never treated for it. I continued to have severe pain around the left eye that was incapacitating. I finally found a Lyme Dr. after much pain, agony, & suffering. I was told I had trigemial neuropathy in my left eye. I was given carbamazepine 100mg x2 per day. I have only been taking it prn but after reading other peoples experience I believe I need to take it every day to get the full effect . Thank Yo

February 9, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by rjinpain:

I was put on Tegretol 2 weeks ago, and boy or boy the build up felt like forever but now that it is at 800mgs, I am feeling so much better. I believe I will be going up yet again this week another 200mg and then again if need be, before Doctor tapers me down where it is maintainable. I am still having just a bit of breakthrough pain a few times a day, which is nothing compared to where I was 2 weeks ago. I would gladly take the tired, stumbles and slurs over where I had been. This medicine works, and works well! I pray it doesn't stop working for me, ever!

May 31, 2011 6:41 PM

Review by ggrantland:

I've been using CARBAMAZEPINE 200mg twice a day for about two years. It does a good job in limiting the amount of pain I have with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I found it best to take the medication regularly. If I skip days when I am not having problems the pain will be right back and it will take several days to get it back under control. I've tried GABAPENTIN 300mg and OXCARBAZEPINE 150mg but they did not help. The CARBAMAZEPINE makes me tired and sleepy but that is a lot better than the pain.

May 14, 2011 1:46 PM

I have had TN for about 10 years, but was switched from Trileptal to carbamazepine, 100 mg 3x/day, about a month ago. The first week I felt almost pain-free, but since have been in constant pain. It does not seem to work for me at all now!

January 26, 2011 9:58 PM

Made me exhausted everyday (wanted to sleep 24-7) and had changes to menstrual cycle.

July 11, 2010 9:22 AM

Review by AB 103:

I was having severe attacks several times a day and within two days on tegretol they stopped. I still get very minor twinges at times from trigger areas. It has been two weeks plus now and I can still recall beginning to brush my teeth and ending up on the floor, so I would be happy if I retain this level of control forever.

December 8, 2009 12:59 PM

I have trigeminal neuralgia and have been suffering from it for quite some time. I was put on 300 mgs twice a day and it didn't help at all and the attacks were just getting more severe and frequent, so the neurologist upped it to 900mgs a day. Still no relief! I have been on two other kinds and pretty much have to rely on pain medication which doesn't even relieve all the pain.

September 20, 2009 3:18 PM

I have been suffering from Trigeminal Neuralgia for almost 8 years thinking that I was having tooth problems. Since my symptoms would come and go, I never did any further research and accepted my dentist's explanation that it was just sensitive teeth. This time, I couldn't accept that and decided to research further. Thank goodness I did and thank goodness for Tegretol! After being on it for only 2 days I am experiencing almost total relief! TN was the most painful experience of my life. The only down side to the medicine so far has been some light-headedness, which I am hoping will diminish or go away completely.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2009 10:13 AM

Review by laurel3865:

I have been on Tegretol for only 2 weeks and it gave me much relief. Neurontin and Topomax did not work for me. Only side effect of Tegretol is sleepiness. I sleep very well at night. I was prescribed 200mg twice a day, but only take it once a day. Sometime I take it twice a day if pain in morning is constant.

August 22, 2009 10:31 AM

Review by tabeloe:

I started Tegretol a week ago for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I was having more and more episodes of TN, and was miserable. Since starting the medicine, I have only had one brief episode of pain. I have had terrible itching since I started taking it. I saw a different Doctor today about the itching, and he said the dose was too high. Hopefully the 100 mg twice a day will relieve the TN pain and not cause itching. I am happy to try the Tegretol, because TN pain is unbearable. Worse than any pain I've ever had (including labor, c-section pain, and oral surgery pain.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2009 3:27 AM