User Reviews for Tegretol XR

Learn more about Tegretol XR.

Trigeminal Neuralgia 10 reviews 9 medications

7.4
Schizoaffective Disorder 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Tegretol XR reviews 19 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Tegretol XR

For Epilepsy: It sent my seizures through the roof.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by ert13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: This is only medicine that works for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by missbones (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been on Tegretol XR for about 3 weeks now for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I take 100 mg 2x a day. It took like two days for it to work. I only start to have pain from the attacks when I'm due for my next dose. And it's not nearly as bad. The only problem is that I'm already on pregabalin for fibromyalgia, so the Tegretol added makes me totally out of it. I can't remember things, I'm double drowsy all day, I zone out, and I don't like that it has negative interactions with about 500 medications including Tylenol, which I usually take for breakthrough pain because ibuprofen doesn't work on me. So overall, it helps but I really hope I don't have to take this for a long period of time.

January 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Review by Momoftyntrev (taken for 10 years or more):

For Epilepsy: I am 33 yrs. old and have been taking Tegretol XR since I was 18 yrs old for grand mal seizures. It has been great.....I have had two healthy children and maintained my medication during my pregnancies and had no problems. Have been seizure free for 10 years!

January 25, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: It took me 2 years to be diagnosed and as soon as I began taking Tegretol I began feeling less pain. I take 600 mg daily. I was taking 800mg but the nausea was too much. If I ever miss a pill I will begin to have pain but while taking it I am almost 100%.

November 12, 2012 2:45 PM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: It worked OK but had a dramatic effect on my mental capacities. I was in the aircraft business and it got to the point where I felt I was becoming a danger to my customers and myself because of my inability to remember. The day I couldn't recall my favorite grandson's name was the day I quit taking it. I underwent a radiological procedure (gamma knife surgery) at UAMS in Little Rock, that cured the problem. I only have a mild flare up occasionally but it's nothing to what I used to suffer and is usually short-lived. I would recommend this procedure to anyone. It's painless and effective and was a God send to me.

March 12, 2012 11:30 AM

Review by painful43:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Totally relieved trigeminal pain - pain was non-existent. However I also turned up allergic so treatment stopped.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2012 8:27 PM

Review by MarionIndiana:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: After first two years of trigeminal neuralgia without drugs I finally gave in and began Tegretol XR at only 200MG a day. It halved my pain and made "life livable" again... dragging my feet on asking for an upped dosage since I fear it may lose its effectiveness.

January 29, 2012 8:57 PM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: After being on regular Tegretol for about a year in combination with Neurontin, my Neuro changed it to the Tegretol XR with fantastic results. I have been taking this for about 2 years now and other than the annoying side effects and occasional breakthrough pain I am very happy. Be warned though that the new generic of Tegretol XR may not be as effective as the name brand. When the generic came out my insurance automatically switched me and they didn't work near as well and I was having a lot of breakthrough pain. My Dr had to make a request to my insurance for the name brand and thankfully they approved it.

November 27, 2011 12:37 PM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: This is working wonders for me. Started helping me a few days after taking it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2010 12:41 AM

Review by Dije:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Worked wonders for me for 25 years and slowly stopped being so effective. It is AMAZING for face pain. I took 600 mg for 24 years and then upped to 1000 daily until it became time to change. Still looking for something new.

September 22, 2009 5:25 PM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have constant pain in my neck, scalp, left thumb. Tegretol helped but compromised my bone marrow. Be sure to have to have CBC blood work regularly.

July 4, 2009 7:14 PM

Review by The Geek:

For Epilepsy: Tegretol XR works well in controlling partial onset seizures. Just as long as you take it vigilantly and sleep regularly. There are two things that keep this medication from being a ten. The first is the fact that your body becomes resistant to the effects of the medication resulting in a never-ending dosage increase to maintain your results. The other is one of the side effects of this medication is unsteady hands, and that can make certain tasks somewhat difficult, but as long you follow simple guidelines, this medication in conjunction with another anti-convulsant does quite well at keeping your disorder in check.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2009 3:49 PM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Although the side effects can be very difficult to deal with but the pain of Trigeminal neuralgia is far far worse. This last attack that I had with the disorder put me to my knees begging to die so I started my Tegretol once again and now 6 days into it no pain at all. I am very nauseated and extremely dizzy but I will take the side effects over the pain any day of the week.

March 8, 2009 7:41 AM

Review by Steph73:

For Epilepsy: I have been on Tegretol for 20 years. I was switched to the Tegretol XR a few years back. I noticed no diffrence with the medication. Very good medicine with no significant side effects.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2009 9:02 AM

Review by wanda-1tiscali.co.uk:

For Epilepsy: I have been diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (seizures are so fleeting that I referred to them as funny turns). Lamotrigine worked for 4 months and then I was changed to Tegretol Retard which for the last 3 months has been effective. Side effets were tiredness and a rash which was treated with an antihistamine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2009 2:43 AM

Review by jmccorkle:

For Epilepsy: I am a 55 year old male with rare seizures. I have taken regular Tegretol in the past, but didn't like it because of the side effects with fatigue, confusion, and memory loss. I have been on Tegretol XR for the last five and a half months, and have been very pleased. The side effects seem to be much less and allow me to function much more normally.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2008 12:28 AM

Review by boslackey:

For Epilepsy: I am 41 years old and have epilepsy. I take 1000 mg of tegretol xr and have been seizure free since 12/01. However, the side effects of the tegretol xr(to me) are significant. I have constant exhaustion and have trouble with my hand-eye coordination and memory.

October 3, 2007 6:35 AM

Review by tanacrn:

For Epilepsy: My daughter has recently been taking Tegretol XR for the last 2 months. She has had a really good tolerance for this drug with very few side effects and an amazing cut back to her seizures. I prefer this drug to any of the other's she has tried. She is not dopey and still has her wits about her, unlike with the other meds she had been on. Tegretol has been really good for her so far.

August 13, 2007 11:08 PM