User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Bipolar Disorder 29 reviews 33 medications

Epilepsy 25 reviews 28 medications

6.9
Trigeminal Neuralgia 21 reviews 9 medications

6.7
Summary of Tegretol reviews 76 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Tegretol

For Epilepsy "Previously on generic with onset symptoms. Now on Name brand and still transitioning from Aptiom which was not effective in controlling symptoms. Hoping name brand works."

d works (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "800 mg of tegretol and still in pain"

Lexy93 November 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with TN two weeks ago. Within first 24 hours of taking Tegretol, I felt amazing. No pain, clear head etc. A week and a half after starting the medication, I had a horrific TN episode for twenty hours. The pain was so bad it woke me from sleeping. I'm not sure whether to go back to Dr's for an increase or just put it down to allowing the meds to do its thing. Can only wait and see."

Jen24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It kinda helped me in addition to my abilify, but since I have type 2 bipolar disorder, I just felt sleepy and knocked out all the time. Not the best of times."

anaisu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time."

Yankee Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I have been on Tegretol for about 7 years which has been good with manageable attacks I between, it took 2 years before I was diagnosed in which time I had the fillings on the right side of my face replaced 3 times looking for the cause! I have now been in an attack for the last 3 an half weeks and at last have some relief , am now having double my dose 800mgs but still have a slight electric shock feeling and my top and bottom jaw ache slightly, I am getting a referral at a London hospital to check my teeth , just to make sure they are ok, but it is just like when I was first diagnosed. Wind or air con are worst for me. This is an awful illness, and do hope you to will get the help that you need,"

Gracie girl August 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

For Epilepsy "I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes."

DennisF March 25, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Worked for awhile okay. After 2 1/2 months I developed a reaction to it called "Stevens-Johnson Syndrome" which is a potentially deadly skin rash."

hlt00069 March 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something."

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass."

Self Medicator (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

For Epilepsy "Oh my. I was put on carbamazepine for possible epilepsy and it didn't seem to do anything - but the doctors said to just keep trying. However, it continued to worsen, making my focus dip considerably, and causing my hearing to change! (I'm a musician, I could tell - it dropped a semitone down.) Was very annoying."

applesauce7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2015

For Epilepsy "Been on Tegretol 200mg twice a day for partial seizures. It's wonderful, it's really helped. I'm down from 10 seizures a day to 8. Have tried everything else hopefully getting there."

Cheryl green (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Worked great on the pain. But my AST levels went through the roof. I am now unable to take them. Awaiting MVD surgery that can't come soon enough. Please ensure your doctor gives you regular blood tests. Mine did not hence my liver problems."

az200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was dying. I take this (200 mg) - 3 times a day with another medicine. I have been pain free for 7 months. I stay drowsy and stagger at times but I can deal with that as long as the medicines continue to help me."

PJDW October 15, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "No problems or side effects."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014

For Epilepsy "Began taking Tegretol in 1986 along with Epilim, had the op in 1991 and have remained on Tegretol since. Somethings I have noticed over the years although I don't have any medical evidence to back this up only self observation are. Massive increase in body hair. Not on the head but over the rest of the body. Most of my nails split down the centre of the nail. As for controlling my epilepsy can not say they really did, prior to my operation, at first all was hokey dorey, then the body seemed to get used the medication and as a result the dose increased. Today 24 years after the operation I remain on 1200mg a day. Seizure free, thanks to the opp, although i do remain on the tablets."

Twistyfil August 13, 2014

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I have spent 17 years with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. This medicine gave me 4 years pain free. It took a long time to work, seems like almost a year, but worked great for a time. Guess now it's on to something else."

Thebigempire (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2014

For Epilepsy "I have been on Tegretol 31 years as well as Lamictal, excellent until I turned 52. Then had some partial seizures..... so my neurologist upped it from 400 to 800 Tegretol and upped Lamictal as well. Getting control slowly. Been 5 months....now..improvement is happening but slow...confident..depends on what meds suit your body. Keep positive."

beachhut June 24, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me."

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

For Epilepsy "I have been on this medicine for 27 years. Except for extreme tiredness, I seem okay. Have not had a fit when on this medicine. One week I came off the medicine, between suicidal thoughts, crying jags and depression, I had massive fits. I have not been off since. This medicine seems to affect the liver, so liver tests are a must."

Kate2014 (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression."

rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Epilepsy "This is the only medcine I am allergic to. Extreme itching! I couldn't stop taking it too fast. Luckily, it doesn't have a very long half life."

Nampajim April 6, 2014