User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

6.3
Summary of Tegretol reviews 52 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Tegretol

Review by Nampajim: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: This is the only medcine I am allergic to. Extreme itching! I couldn't stop taking it too fast. Luckily, it doesn't have a very long half life.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 1:03 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 7, 2014 2:03 PM
Review by Crazilysweet: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 1, 2014 10:28 AM
Review by Bipolar?: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.

January 26, 2014 10:15 AM
Review by Wolfie Kins: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.

December 19, 2013 6:12 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: This medicine has given nothing but trouble. Headache, Feeling sick and worse of all I now have a very itchy rash all over my body which is driving me round the bend.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2013 5:14 AM
Review by Kim-ds: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: There is nothing more scarier than that first few seconds when your seizure starts and nobody is around. Tegretol has saved my life! I am so thankful my doc put me on these tablets 200mg three times a day and I'm happily seizure free.

June 20, 2013 3:53 PM
Review by ANGELSFLYWITHME: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Stoped the pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Side effects like unsteadyness, fingers twitching, sore joints, seeing aura's, reading difficulties, speaking difficulties.

June 12, 2013 5:58 PM
Review by Lindy1628 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been put on this medication for pain. After 6 mouth operations - I was left with terrible upper gum and palate pain. I have only been on it for 5 days - it is not working. The pain is severe and constant. I am praying - as I take it longer - it will take the pain away.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 24, 2013 7:42 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Tegretol is very effective for my mood swings and hallucinations. It helps slow the racing thoughts and hyperactivity and thinking people are out to get me and helps with hearing voices. When I do not take it, everyone can notice a huge difference in how I act.

April 21, 2013 5:04 PM
Review by Connie 1963: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I was initially put on Tegretol only to have it stop working after about 3 weeks. Dr. added Neurontin and eventually had surgery to remove the blood vessel and wrap the nerve. Best of luck to anyone with this terrible condition.

March 27, 2013 1:05 AM
Review by Katie2umnc: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: This is the only medication that has helped me! It's great!

March 15, 2013 12:34 AM
Review by Wild b: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: Have been taking for 13 years. Have been seizure free. It has changed my life. Only side effect I've noticed is a little more tired than normal. Only sometimes. Other than that good to go!

February 13, 2013 10:04 AM
Review by Jan4acure (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: My problem started with severe uvetis/iritis (inflammation of the iris) for which I was under a eye specialist care. This went on for almost 3 yrs before the Dr was able to get it under control. I lost a lot of vision the the left eye (it was in both eyes). Eventually I became aware that I had tested positive for Lyme disease in 2005 but was never treated for it. I continued to have severe pain around the left eye that was incapacitating. I finally found a Lyme Dr. after much pain, agony, & suffering. I was told I had trigemial neuropathy in my left eye. I was given carbamazepine 100mg x2 per day. I have only been taking it prn but after reading other peoples experience I believe I need to take it every day to get the full effect . Thank Yo

February 9, 2013 5:23 PM
Review by Zara91 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!

January 22, 2013 9:02 AM
Review by Taylor T. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Caused me to be very drowsy all of the time, sleeping about 16 hours every night and I developed an itchy rash of red pimple-like bumps on my scalp and neckline and middle of my back after taking it for a few days.

October 24, 2012 7:42 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I found Tegretol amazing. It made me so calm and stable even after a few days, the only issue with it is it makes me very drowsy and a little disorientated. That's the one side effect I've noticed. So if you drive a lot or operate heavy machinery or are a surgeon this is not the medication for you. Otherwise it is a great mood stabilizer.

September 7, 2012 11:43 AM
Review by Gimino (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Peripheral Neuropathy: Regarding my peripheral neuropathy: Had reached max daily allowable level of Neurontin and was put on Tegretol, 200mg, 4 x daily. Brought it down to one tab daily and have not looked back. Never any side effects. Condition greatly improved! Cannot remember my last "attack".

July 16, 2012 10:51 PM
Review by Seattlechic: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: Have had complex partial seizure disorder for over 40 years. My main medicine that held me for years was Phenobarbital. When I started having breakthrough seizures, Tegretol was the secondary medicine that has held me okay for the past 4 years. I tried Tegretol XR first but for me, I felt very tired, some dizziness, poor memory, and very bland. When the Dr switched me to regular Tegretol, it was totally opposite! I felt alive again, memory sharp, out riding horses, happy as a lark and felt like my good old self. People should know there are many different medicines for epilepsy these days and also that there is a Tegretol XR (long-acting).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2012 10:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Started taking this medicine about two months ago, after the Lamictal-induced sickness wore off. Up to 400mg now and I think I need a higher dosage as have been manic for a couple of weeks now. But it started to work straight away, and no side effects except for my third day of taking them when I started to get a little confused. Was okay the next day though!

February 18, 2012 9:14 AM
Review by twatface: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Dystonia: Found it ineffective for facial spasms. Patients must get liver function tests while they are on this medicine. I believe other dystonia sufferers have had some relief with this but I was not one of them.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 4, 2011 7:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Peripheral Neuropathy: It took approximately 3 months for the Tegretol to have any effect. When it did it was almost overnight. Also found that taking Xanax with it helps tremendously (with Doctor approval of course). I take up to 3 mg Xanax with 3 times daily and 200 mg Tegratol 2 times daily. It really works. The burning has almost ceased.

December 2, 2011 3:07 PM
Review by MissyC: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I had a horrible experience after being prescribed Tegretol while in the hospital to treat my bipolar disorder. Within a few days of starting it, I began experiencing the shaking, nausea, etc. but the worst was the extreme anger/irritability I started experiencing. It got to the point that I would have horrible rages and felt like I was completely losing control. I kept asking my doctor to take me off the Tegretol, but he wouldn't. During one of these rages, I ended up fracturing my wrist because I hit a door so hard. After that, he agreed to take me off of it. After talking to other patients, I found out that a lot of them had similar experiences with this uncontrollable anger.

October 12, 2011 1:11 AM
Review by Tdogg: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I just started taking Tegretol on June 3 for mood stability. Also prescribed Celexa on same day. I also take Methadone 10mg 4x a day for chronic pain management for last 10 yrs. I love how it makes me feel and it's very hard for me to get angry BUT, it interferes with the methadone. At first nothing except feeling drunk for the first 4-5 days. Then it started. Withdrawal symptoms, increased pain, restlessness, insomnia, fatigue and nausea. Not sure if I can continue treatment but will find out on June 24 after my doctors appointment. Also taking meloxicam. Will let everyone know my results Friday afternoon.

June 20, 2011 9:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I had a very good experience on Tegretol. I had no side effects and was feeling better within three days. On top of stabilizing my moods it also reduced my fibromyalgia pain by a good 90% (which also helped my mood a lot). The only reason I stopped taking it is because I'm working on becoming pregnant and it does have some nasty side effects there. The new medicines I'm on don't work quite as well and I plan to go back on Tegretol as soon as I have a child.

June 14, 2011 8:46 AM