User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Schizophrenia

Review by Almost Normal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was put on Saphris after being on Clozaril for 13 years. My schizophrenia is completely controlled on this medicine. However, it is much less sedating than Clozaril and sleep is sometimes a challenge. It also seems to not increase my appetite-- the first of its kind! For awhile it was also prolonging the QT wave of my heart but that seems to have leveled off. But I do have one major complaint. It sometimes makes me forget how to pronounce words. I guess this is similar to an effect of Topamax. All things said, its good to be almost normal.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by toursjollie:

I have been on Saphris for two and a half months now. So far it has been great. My eating is under control compared to when I was on Invega. So far I have lost 3kg due to diet and exercise. Hope to lose some more weight. The only side effect I will complain about is my extended sleep. I sleep for 12-15 hours a day. A bit of a worry for when I am trying to get back to work.

August 4, 2013 6:17 AM

Review by Edward8787:

I'm 28 and was just diagnosed with Schizophrenia about a month ago. I was given Saphris, this is my first antipsychotic medication and it makes me immensely drowsy after 10 minutes. It slowed down the racing thoughts and negative ideas in my head in order to set aside my wants and needs and socially accept what is happening around me and what I need to do. Only down side so far is the intense drowsiness and that gnawing restless sleep feeling when I tried to go to sleep before my regular sleeping schedule. I can't remember falling asleep at all due to the tossing and turning. I do recommend taking it when you're 100% positive your going to sleep and not a moment sooner. Woke up calm and well rested. DAY 1.

July 20, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by Bart0989:

I have heard it described as the new clozapine. It is a good medicine with little side effects. I'm resistant. To most medications but finally found this medication and I'm getting well again.

May 31, 2013 7:27 PM

Review by DamienRose:

I have been on SEVERAL medications over my many years (36 years old now). I have been on medications for over 20 years off and on. I have been on Saphris for almost 3 weeks now and I can not tell you what a God send this has been. My doc just added Lithium to my regimen and as he refers to it, it is like Batman and Robin. Batman works great but can sometimes use the help of Robin. The only thing is it can be cost prohibiting without insurance.

April 16, 2012 11:08 AM

Review by j-dog:

It seems to have calmed the ranting, raving, racing thoughts in my mind, and I have not heard any voices, or bad thoughts against myself or others. It is also helping me with quitting my smoking addiction. The racing thoughts have always triggered smoking needs but now I find myself going much longer times with out worries and need to smoke. I'm staying on task better also. I'm on Depakote ER, Invega, Cogentin, Lexapro, Abilify and Saphrise is a very pleasant surprise.

April 14, 2012 4:20 PM

Review by Katie2828:

I just started taking this medication last night. I've tried Abilify, Risperdal, Geodon, Fanapt, Latuda, Loxitane and others as well as an array of Antidepressants and Antianxiety pills. It is very bitter, but I have to say I sleep GREAT now! I will try to put more on here as my treatment continues.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2012 10:14 AM

Review by bww7:

Saphris was incredible for a few months as far as stopping the symptoms and no side effects. We missed my wife's dose by 2 hours and the wheels fell off and she had to fall back on Zyprexa again. It's a medicine we may go back to if the Invega stops working.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2012 10:41 PM

Review by purrin:

I'm happy. I've tried all medicines for schizophrenia on the Australian market, this just came out here. I've been on it for a couple of months and my old depot of flucopanthixol is washing out now. I'm pretty amazed at how little side effects. I can wake up in the mornings and have sex. I suffered from female sex dysfuction and/or somnolence for years, I was so unhappy with both those scenarios. Now I'm only sleeping about 9,10 hours and I can date and romance. As far as these anti psychotics go this is the best for me. Still makes me a little sleepy and sedated but am approaching normalcy again for the first time in 20 years. Its easier on my heart as well, can go a lot further in my workouts.

January 22, 2012 3:41 PM

Review by EvansWonderland:

Been on every psych medicine available...have severe OCD, mostly related to sex and sexuality issues. I was on Invega and it was steps above any of the other antipsychotics I've tried. I was functional. I'm on Saphris now and it is steps above Invega. Has helped my depression so much it's amazing. I was severely suicidal and had been for at least 2 years with two serious attempts. Not suicidal any more. Also, sometimes I'm even able to socialize pretty normally. Take it with Prozac, Adderall and Neurontin.

November 1, 2011 5:49 PM

For the first few weeks, I felt amazing. So much better, I couldn't believe it. I hadn't been that totally free from visions with any other medication. I didn't much enjoy randomly falling asleep when I took my afternoon dose, but at the time it seemed worth it. However, after about a month, I started feeling like the best thing for me to do would be to kill myself. I didn't get depressed, none of my old symptoms returned, I just felt like it was the logical thing to do. It felt so normal that I didn't report it to my doctor for a month. He told me to stop taking Saphris and within 2 weeks all of my suicidal thoughts stopped. My symptoms returned, but it was a fair trade. I just want people to know and to be careful.

October 23, 2011 5:15 PM

I been on so many medications. This one is the best medication I have been on. The only negative is that it makes me sleepy when I take the medication. Overall, this medication is great because you don't have to worry about the voices.

May 22, 2011 8:20 AM