User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Bipolar Disorder 141 reviews 33 medications

7.9
Schizophrenia 15 reviews 41 medications

7.5
Summary of Saphris reviews 156 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Saphris

For Bipolar Disorder "I have found Saphris to be very effective, especially for my bipolar depression. I felt happy for the first time in 4 months and its only 2/3 days to work! I was taking lithium and lamotrigine, but the lamotrigine didn't bring my mood up and the lithium didn't either. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty down. Saphris made me feel clear thinking, motivated and reduced my anxiety. And it has only been a week and a day since starting it. I am very pleased. I still have a ways to go in terms of my over all experience with this medication. All the best."

MistyC (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Hi - I am reviewing the drug Saphris. I've been depressed and have a sugar addiction all of my life am now 60. First I was diagnosed with Dysththmic Disorder, then PTSD, Major Recurrent Depression, Anxiety, BiPolar 2. I currently take Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, and half mg Klonipin for sleep at bedtime. I have a binge eating disorder. Currently I've been in a long episode of depression and anxiety. I have anger and rage issues - After WLS - weight loss surgery in 2013 the anger and rage came forward - this is very distressing for me. I rarely have a rage incident but since the WLS I feel on edge, irritable most of the time and lash out easily. I've heard wonderful things about Saphris and wonder if it might help me."

AnneGeminiRose January 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been actively seeking a remedy for my 'weirdness' for 40 years. I've tried counselling, antidepressants, and bipolar meds. While all of these have helped, none of them could do what I really needed for them to do to reach my ultimate goal; To fit in with society. I went to a shrink for GAD, and was prescribed Saphris. The effects were virtually immediate. The list of improvements in my life is 26 items and counting. The drug is over $200/month in the states WITH good insurance. I found online pharmacies in Canada that sell it for $90 for a 3-month supply. It is shipped from India, which scares lots of folks because of their legendary lack of gov't regulations. I'm not made of money, so, to me, the risk is worth it!"

P J A (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on saphris for three years. I loved how calm and focused I was. But I have gained 60 lbs. I told my Dr. A million times but she says it doesn't cause weight gain. Well I am very depressed. I exercise I eat very little and I can't lose a pound. Well now I am morbidly obese. And all the stuff I can't do because I'm so big has really got me down. I am weaning my self down and getting off saphris as much as I hate the side effects I am scared to see what my life will look like with out it. Oh my daughter was on it for two months and she gained 18lbs. Why can't we have both sanity and without gaining 50 freaking pounds. Grrr"

Inky1969 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This was my second time trying saphris. Throughout my first experience, it worked great for my severe depression, but caused me to gain 20 pounds in a very short time frame. This increase in weight wasn't acceptable, as I battle with bulimia as well. The second time around, a few years later, I had high hopes for this medication, as it had virtually wiped out my depression while on it in the past, and I was taking the precautionary measure of adding Effexor to my medication regimen to help counteract the side effect of increased hunger and weight gain. The Effexor did help with decreasing my appetite; however the antidepressant effect was not nearly as strong for some reason. It may have even worsened my depressive symptoms."

Angela 478377 January 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Bipolar II (with very few manifestations of depression) so mostly problems with mania. I started on 5mg at night for a week then went up to morning and night doses of 5mg. I did that for 2 days as the day time doses made me feel restless, uncomfortable, edgy, weird and sedated. I couldn't stand it and would count down the time before it would wear off. Then I tried taking 10mg at night but then I couldn't sleep. I would wake up exhausted for the 4th time in a night. Went back to just 5mg at night and this had little to no effect. I worried about weight gain but I lost weight- helped that I was extra cautious about what I ate. If 'increased appetite' is listed I take extra measures with exercise and diet to stay healthy."

bipolarII December 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Saphris now for 1 month. I have not been this happy in 35 years! I am working out ever day now at the local health club. Last night I swam for over 40 minutes straight. The only side-effect of this med is excellent REM sleep and a good night's rest. Heaven help you if you don't have insurance....Very Pricey $$$$$"

Kenis (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder a month ago, previously Bipolar 1 with mixed episodes. Saphris changed my life for the better in so many ways. It helped cut down the agitation and anger associated with the mixed episodes almost right away. The paranoia still bites me every once in a while but it has been majorly decreased as well as the hallucinations and delusions that were plaguing me continuously. I sleep so well and don't have the medication hang over that risperidone was giving me at the dose I required. I started at 5mg and am now at 20mg at bedtime and it's working great. Hope the best to all who are trying to get the right med combo!"

soulgr4ffiti4rtist November 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My wife had a severe reaction to this med after just 2 days. She could not swallow, she could not speak. She was catatonic for 3 days until I could get the doctor to understand if she can't swallow, she can't take her meds which meant catatonia and severe withdrawal from benzos. I got the doctor to giver her ativan IV and she was back in 4 to 8 hours"

Concerned Hubby (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on various antidepressants since i was 18, with some relief at times. I've been very functional all along but never happy. I've used other illicit substances to self medicate. I saw a psychiatrist when I finally got sick and tired of spinning my wheels. She diagnosed me with bipolar 2 and put me on saphris. For the first month, I felt AMAZING. I was getting things done at home, at work, and even nurturing a social life again. The med still works weekly for my mood but I've gained 20 lbs in just 2months. This is really starting to get me down. The med had changed my life, but I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with the weight gain. If it weren't for the weight, I would've given it a10."

Any girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I like saphris but have experienced the nasty side effect of weight gain. I had tried 4 other anti psychotics and all of them made me put on weight without relieving me of my bi polar symptoms. I am staying on saphris because for the first time I feel normal. No more high highs or low lows. However the increased appetite drives me nuts. I literally obsess about food all day. I recently cut out all processed sugar to see if this helps. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it."

Just need some advice (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Overall ok, makes me sleepy and I take it 30 mins b4 bed to get me to sleep. I did find it put some weight on me and makes my eyes a little jumpy. That's the extent of my side effects really. Overall I'm happy with it, it controls my mania and inability to sleep."

Zeusa October 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Words can not describe it. The medication has turned my life around. I still can not believe what it has done for me. My mind has slowed down so much without taking away my ability to think sharply. I am truly happy. Anger, irritation, racing thoughts are almost completely gone. I am Bi Polar 1 with GAD and depression. I too am a mixed episode/rapid cycle guy. This med has givin me my life back. I have been shedding anxiety and sleep meds left and right. If you can't afford it, please look to Canada. You can get generic Saphris (asenapine) very, very reasonable. It could well be worth going through a reputable Canadian pharmacy."

coaff1395 September 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I do not deal with fits of rage anymore nor do I go to extreme lows of sadness and the world is ending. Side effects I had were initially insomnia grogginess after taking the medication and a little bit more hungry. I eat a well-balanced diet with lots of vegetables some fruit high protein and I notice having a snack before taking it helps for hunger pains. I make sure to get regular low impact exercise such as walking. I am now able to be a better mother keep my jobs and feel much much much better mentally. Give it a try at least a month. It has been 3 weeks and I do not have insomnia at night anymore and have dropped 14 pounds. Stay positive don't let side effects get you down!"

Kateannmarie23 September 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm Bipolar 1 Rapid Cycling & also have ADD; this medication saved my life. I have been on it for a year now (along with a cocktail of others, I am BP 1, let's be realistic) titrating from 5 mg to 30 mg all at night. I was in constant mixed states, I couldn't control my impulses, my anxiety and paranoia were through the roof and I was unemployed - leaving the house, let alone working wasn't an option. I work fulltime now in a professional environment, back on my career track. My mood is stable, and for once in my 15 year diagnosis I can say I'm stable. Side effects take time to pass, and some never go away, for me, its AM daily muscle pain for 90 mins. I haven't been able to touch a drop of liquor, not even a sip of beer; I prefer sanity."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I suffer from ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD. Saphris has helped take the edge off the bipolar symptoms. I would have to leave the office whether to walk around the building or to go to the bathroom to splash water on my face, but now I can stay at my desk the entire day most days and am good with only leaving for bathroom breaks or to go get water. I went from having PTSD nightmares 1 - 6 nights a week and waking up myself and my fiancée from moaning, growling, or yelling to having the nightmares about once a week on average or sometimes even going a week without any. I take it at bedtime and within 10 - 15 minutes, I am really drowsy and falling asleep, which has also helped me. As a result of these last two, I am now more rested"

Nick83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Within two days dose I had edema in my calves knees and ankles 3 days it just got worse. Also the Saphris headache that would not go away. Did not continue with fourth dose. Great wonders if you have zero side effects"

Bbrenda May 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I suffer from Bipolar 1 Mixed Rapid Cycling, I started taking Saphris to replace geodon about a month and a half ago to reduce my Manic Episodes and I do feel better but I am gaining weight at an alarming rate!!! I have tried so many medications throughout the years for the manic episodes and am going to stick with this as it really does helps tremendously and I haven't suffered any other side effects."

Kelcie May 20, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I take Saphris 25 mg every day. I have BIPOLAR/SCHIZOAFFECTIVE/OCD/PTSD. I has been 2 1/2 weeks and it is helping a ton! Negatives: kinda annoying to take but you'll get use to it. It is a tablet that you put under your tongue and wait for 10 min. to eat or drink. It just came out with a black-cherry taste which tastes like a little piece of candy. Other negative are headache, some insomnia but then sometimes it will help a lot with sleep. I think the insomnia is due to my caffeine intake. So if you really want this medicine to work, don't use pop/coffee, big pupils. Positives: calmer, deeper and longer sleep, increased motivation, weight loss, decreased irritability, more stable mood, more creative, can pay attention more, more creativity, and more clear mind.."

Careysleena (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Wonderdrug. I have never, ever had a period of more than two days without irritability without hypomania. Within 2 days of taking this medication, my irritability was nil. I was able to sit in a busy, loud restaurant without getting angry or distracted. I have no sedation during the day, and this medication helps me sleep at night, immediately and deeply. I'm sleeping about 9-10 hours every night, which is why I'm giving it 8 of 10 stars, because that amount of sleep is a little much for me. I still feel a normal range of emotion on this medication, my sex drive is normal, I have no side effects. The taste is not so bad, but tongue does get numb every time I take it, but this wears off by the time I wake up."

BAEEEE (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I take a low dose of Saphris (5 mg). My experience with this medicine is simply incredible. It makes me feel so "zen" and happy, it's a feeling difficult to describe. I used to take clonazepam, but it never made me feel that great. Another good point is that it helps going to sleep, but waking up is easy (not like Seroquel and Zyprexa!!)"

bipolar12345 March 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Seroquel for 7 years and was initially happy with the effects, but the medication hasn't been working as well lately and I have gained 40kgs in those 7 years. So I was put on Saphris 3 weeks ago. The benefits have been amazing, with increased energy, memory and positive thoughts. Unfortunately, I had a severe allergic reaction to Saphris a few days ago and I've had to stop taking it. I hope to find something just as good. I suppose the good news is that now I know that there are other Atypical Antipsychotics that could help me."

Seanie (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on Seroquel for 7 years when I had to start trialling something else due to weight gain. I was taking Saphris 3 weeks and I had a severe allergic reaction. Saphris was changing my life for the better and so I'm sad that I can't take it anymore. I had motivation, great memory & concentration, positive thoughts, ability to plan & function highly and loads of energy. I can't take the tablets anymore, but i'm going to miss how good they made me feel. Now I'm looking into Zeldox or Latuda. I definitely need an antipsychotic for my Bipolar."

Seanie (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

For Schizophrenia "This is an awesome medication for those patients that are immune to 1st and 2nd generation psychotropic meds."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on Saphris for almost a year. Have tried almost all of the others except for Latuda. My experience is that I have had the best dreams and put on the least amount of weight on this medicine. Also, not nearly as drowsy."

Andrew The Great (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2015