User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 9 reviews 6 medications

7.5
Summary of Saphris reviews 155 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Saphris

Review by that1hippiechick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar1, general & social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder. I've been on pretty much everything over the last 14 years. Seroquel worked well for over a year but the weight gain was awful. Regular exercise and healthy eating. Lithium and Lamictal replaced the Seroquel and seemed efficient, couldn't handle the nausea anymore after 2 yrs. 5 weeks ago I decided I wanted try Saphris. Psych agreed, decided to start low and slow as I tend to have allergic or increased anxiety with most medicines. Started on 2.5mg for a week. I literally felt better the next morning. I had increased energy and felt happy for the first time in over 10yrs. I'm up to 5mg pm, 2.5mg am. Anxiety decreased, and down to 1.5mg of Klonopin daily from 3mg. This is a miracle for me!

September 8, 2014 7:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I take 3/4 of a 5mg Saphris and 200mg Epilim which helps to take the edge off of my anxiety and depression. I felt a difference within days of taking my first dose, like I could breathe again and didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders. What I will say though is that medication is never the complete answer. My medicines have allowed me to get to a stable enough place where I am able to deal with the underlying issues causing my depression and anxiety. Does help me feel more comfortable in my own skin.

September 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by lake forest oconnor:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took 1 5 mg a few nights ago. My body had unbearable muscle thrashing. I woke up every 2 minutes spasming out of control it was very painful as well and couldn't get sleep.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by BradwickMD (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed Saphris for bipolar disorder. The morning after my first bedtime dose I had a number of side effects. I experienced confusion, dizziness, hallucinations and acute short term memory loss. As a result of the confusion and acute short term memory loss, I unintentionally overdosed on my morning medications resulting in extreme doses of medications. The most concerning was a 900mg dose of Wellbutrin (bupropion) which in doses of 300mg or more can cause seizures.

August 10, 2014 1:00 PM

Review by RitzKrakerz:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I've been taking Saphris for about 6 months and it's been a wonder of a miracle! I can finally function and accomplish daily tasks. Before I was depressed all the time now I have lots of energy and I think more clearly. It's heaven sent.

August 7, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by Twightman91 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I had been taking Saphris 10mg at bedtime for well over a year and then suddenly stopped taking it for a month to see how I would feel. In this month I was a wreck and had racing thoughts and couldn't fall asleep until 2am and would be up 6 hours later. I also found myself fantasizing about stuff and being unrealistic about things. I started taking it again close to a month ago and I really see how much it helps me. The only downside is that I sleep over 11 hours now and I get into such a deep sleep without waking up once.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by djeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Bipolar with mixed episodes, ADHD and severe anxiety. Saphris was a miracle for me also. I've been on disability for 10 years and this is the first medicine I've taken that has made me functional. Absolutely can't take it the morning; it makes me incoherent for about 3 hours and I eat everything in sight. So I take all 20 mgs at night and am doing fine. Have mouth sores, though. My doctor said to alternate between taking it sublingually, supra lingually and but ally and it's helping.

June 29, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Reeena:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Saphris for about 3 months now. I take 15mgs at night. I'm able to sleep now without the help of any other medicine. I get restless from time to time but subdue it with Vistaril. Sometimes I get boosts of energy which can be good. My moods are more balanced than ever before. I can laugh things off instead of getting angry. The reason I gave Saphris a 9 is because it affects my libido. I recently started taking Wellbutrin to combat this. I hope it works!

May 10, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by Life is Great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started out with 20 mg of Saphris but stayed groggy. Went down to 10 mg and have been on it for 6 months. I also take a sleep aid at night and now I sleep 6-7 hrs compared to 3-4. No running thoughts in my head. The longest time I have ever stayed out of the hospital in 12 years. I feel wonderful, when I start getting anxious, I take a 5 mg with my Xanax and I am good to go. Downside: Gained 50 pds and cholesterol is through the roof, even though I do not eat red meat. Always have the munchies though. Had to start on a statin medicine. Blood sugar is higher than usual but within range. Keeping an eye out on this too. But this is the only medicine that has worked for me without being a zombie or continued mixed episodes.

April 9, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Todd B. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I believe I have found the answer I have been looking for! Been on it about two months. I sleep throught the night with a lot less interruption and I fall asleep more quickly. My thought pattern is far less anxious and muddled; I am able to concentrate. My mood is far less out of whack and I am generally happy. The only downside for me is it gives me the munchies and I have diabetes, so I have gained some weight a bit rapidly. However, with a lot of effort, I have eliminated foods out of my diet that are carbs. I am starting to level out and I have a lot of hope for the future with this medicine. It is expensive, but I have good insurance.

March 18, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by Review gal:

For Bipolar Disorder: Been bipolar for seventeen years, Saphris for two months, started out eating right after I took it and I was very sleepy. The eating eventually subsided but within ten days I started having jaw muscle tension. At first I had energy and the racing thoughts and paranoia went away. The sublingual dosing and taste seemed to be minor in the hopes that it would help symptoms. I would take it at night only, after getting everything done for the evening because it really made me sleep deeply, within fifteen minutes, when I really didn't have a sleeping problem before taking it. It did make me more alert during the day, which almost led to panic on several occasions. It was addressing psychosis symptoms but I continued a low level of depression

February 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Anon434343:

For Bipolar Disorder: Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris.

February 9, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Benjamin P. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This have been a very good medication for me. I still have some symptoms like voices, and seeing things that are not there but, I am able to realize that they are not real and I can better take control of the situation.

February 9, 2014 3:38 PM

Review by Anonymous88888:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar Disorder I, with rapid cycling and mixed states. I tried Saphris when I was recovering from a hospitalization which was very unpleasant and ended very badly. So I was a bit manic and terribly anxious going on it. I took it for 6 days. It seemed to work almost right away. I was shakey and anxious throughout the 6 days. Extremely sleepy and dizzy after my 5mg at bedtime. But that wore off after 4 days. Mood-wise, it seemed to completely stall my cycling. Miracle! And I was much calmer and less reactive, but definitely awake during the days. Then after my 6th dose I noticed my lips were puffy, and my tongue was fatter, then my throat got tight = allergic reaction. Worked great until that!

December 20, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by heids:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I had very sudden onset post traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and psychotic depression. What absolute hell I was going through for a good 18 months of doctors experimenting with different medicines on me. All the other antipsychotics had bad effects on me and made my depression worse. My last admission to hospital was for my own safety and as a last ditch effort when I was suicidal my psychiatrist thought we'd try Saphris. Within 4 days I noticed a complete change for the better. It helps me sleep but I suspect it also takes away a bit of my drive to exercise which I hate because I used to work in the fitness industry. I do take 2 other medicines so it could be the combination. Generally a positive experience with this medication.

December 18, 2013 11:21 PM

Review by Almost Normal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Schizophrenia: I was put on Saphris after being on Clozaril for 13 years. My schizophrenia is completely controlled on this medicine. However, it is much less sedating than Clozaril and sleep is sometimes a challenge. It also seems to not increase my appetite-- the first of its kind! For awhile it was also prolonging the QT wave of my heart but that seems to have leveled off. But I do have one major complaint. It sometimes makes me forget how to pronounce words. I guess this is similar to an effect of Topamax. All things said, its good to be almost normal.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by still affected:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I took Saphris for the first time recently. First I was sad, then couldn't sleep, then paranoid and went into psychosis. Was told it wasn't very sedating. Much prefer Seroquel!

November 28, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by jozey:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on medication for over 23 years and Saphris is a far better antipsychotic I have ever been prescribed. I feel more motivated, more social, my weight hasn't changed and am now enjoying life unlike the many years I spent on Largactil and other antipsychotics. I have also felt benefits in my sleeping pattern. Use this medicine right and you wont believe the change. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but also use an antidepressant too.

November 22, 2013 4:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I waited 3 weeks to write a review cause I was sceptical. After trying so many antidepressant and having the the reversed effect this is the one. I suffer from sever anxiety and PTSD. I take 5mg at night cause it does hit you like a rock. I tried the recommended dose 10mg after a week and it was too much. The taste is annoying but I will deal with that. I am able to concentrate and get things done. I exercise 5xs a week so I have not gained weight. My eating habits are fair so it's diffinatly the exercise. I been trying to find the right drug for 4 years and nothing helped. I do also take klonopin but since I have started saphris it's been reduced it to half of what I used to take. This med has helped me with my anticipatory anxiety

October 28, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Peachespie:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on this medication for 4 days now & I can't believe how at peace I finally feel after years of trying every pill combination possible by my dr to get me well. My racing thoughts are gone. My OCD is under control. I noticed even with little OCD problems I have it's as if my mind says "enough" & I'm satisfied. I'm was never satisfied before & in just 4 days these are my results. I also suffer from extrem anxiety and ADD I'm taking intuniv in the am & it's a great combanation off me. Is this too good to be true??!!

October 23, 2013 7:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking this for about 4 months now. While I admit I am awful at being consistent with new meds, I am blown away by how well Saphris has consistently toned down my impulsivity, irritation, edginess, suicidal ideations, and cycling depression. Unlike antipsychotics such as lithium, this stuff did not turn me into a walking zombie. I am still able to feel elated, just not so much so that I lose control of myself. Also it helps me have a regular sleeping pattern! I do not know how anyone can taking this in the morning as it knocks me out harder than ambien. The downside of it is that I am experiencing secondary nocturnal enuresis :S It is something I have always struggled with and I would not expect others to experience this.

October 20, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by Joel T:

I have been taking 20 mg of Saphris a day for two years now. I take it because I stutter. Dopamine blocking medicines have been known to help with the symptoms of stuttering for years. I used to take Zyprexa and it helped but I needed to sleep 12 hours a day and I gained 30 pounds. Since switching to Saphris I lost the 30 pounds and I only need to sleep 10 hours a day. I have pretty severe sedation in the morning but the improvement in my speech has been pretty dramatic. Saphris has improved my speech fluency by about 80 percent.

October 6, 2013 3:00 PM

Review by michelle marie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine works good, helps with sleep, and keeps me out of the hospital and jail, also helps with anger, had to take a anti-depressant with it. Seems to make me calmer but downside is weight gain of 15 pounds.

October 2, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by KristiR (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I am currently taking 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet (but started out on a 1/2 tablet) of Saphris at night. I am also on Lexapro, 10 mg for depression and anxiety. The combo works great. I have horrible insomnia/waking in the night on just Lexapro (or other SSRI's I've tried) but with Saphris I sleep great and wake up refreshed! Only downside is that I've put on 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months, but not sure if it is due to the Lexapro or Saphris or both. I eat very healthy (just too much) and exercise regularly....but find myself always feeling hungry. Oh well...at least I'm happy!

August 17, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by mcadams:

For Bipolar Disorder: Saphris has helped me more than any other medication (which were many, many over 12 years). I was blown away by the benefit and bewildered that it took so long for someone to prescribe it. I still don't have the strength and energy that I need but I am functioning at 80% to 90%. Before it was barely hanging on with suicidal periods. Savella was another good medication for me but not quite this good. The racing thoughts, paranoia, and insomnia are gone. I usually fall asleep within 15 minutes of lying down. Although I am having some nights of waking up after 3 hours. Just getting to sleep earlier and getting the required sleep I need has made a tremendous difference in how I function and cope. My side effect has been arthritis and weight gain.

August 11, 2013 1:50 AM