User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 9 reviews 6 medications

7.5
Summary of Saphris reviews 147 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Saphris

Review by Life is Great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I started out with 20 mg of Saphris but stayed groggy. Went down to 10 mg and have been on it for 6 months. I also take a sleep aid at night and now I sleep 6-7 hrs compared to 3-4. No running thoughts in my head. The longest time I have ever stayed out of the hospital in 12 years. I feel wonderful, when I start getting anxious, I take a 5 mg with my Xanax and I am good to go. Downside: Gained 50 pds and cholesterol is through the roof, even though I do not eat red meat. Always have the munchies though. Had to start on a statin medicine. Blood sugar is higher than usual but within range. Keeping an eye out on this too. But this is the only medicine that has worked for me without being a zombie or continued mixed episodes.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 11:41 AM
Review by Todd B. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I believe I have found the answer I have been looking for! Been on it about two months. I sleep throught the night with a lot less interruption and I fall asleep more quickly. My thought pattern is far less anxious and muddled; I am able to concentrate. My mood is far less out of whack and I am generally happy. The only downside for me is it gives me the munchies and I have diabetes, so I have gained some weight a bit rapidly. However, with a lot of effort, I have eliminated foods out of my diet that are carbs. I am starting to level out and I have a lot of hope for the future with this medicine. It is expensive, but I have good insurance.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2014 7:07 PM
Review by Review gal: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Been bipolar for seventeen years, Saphris for two months, started out eating right after I took it and I was very sleepy. The eating eventually subsided but within ten days I started having jaw muscle tension. At first I had energy and the racing thoughts and paranoia went away. The sublingual dosing and taste seemed to be minor in the hopes that it would help symptoms. I would take it at night only, after getting everything done for the evening because it really made me sleep deeply, within fifteen minutes, when I really didn't have a sleeping problem before taking it. It did make me more alert during the day, which almost led to panic on several occasions. It was addressing psychosis symptoms but I continued a low level of depression

February 11, 2014 3:13 AM
Review by Anon434343: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris.

February 9, 2014 11:21 PM
Review by Benjamin P. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: This have been a very good medication for me. I still have some symptoms like voices, and seeing things that are not there but, I am able to realize that they are not real and I can better take control of the situation.

February 9, 2014 3:38 PM
Review by Anonymous88888: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar Disorder I, with rapid cycling and mixed states. I tried Saphris when I was recovering from a hospitalization which was very unpleasant and ended very badly. So I was a bit manic and terribly anxious going on it. I took it for 6 days. It seemed to work almost right away. I was shakey and anxious throughout the 6 days. Extremely sleepy and dizzy after my 5mg at bedtime. But that wore off after 4 days. Mood-wise, it seemed to completely stall my cycling. Miracle! And I was much calmer and less reactive, but definitely awake during the days. Then after my 6th dose I noticed my lips were puffy, and my tongue was fatter, then my throat got tight = allergic reaction. Worked great until that!

December 20, 2013 9:36 PM
Review by heids: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I had very sudden onset post traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and psychotic depression. What absolute hell I was going through for a good 18 months of doctors experimenting with different medicines on me. All the other antipsychotics had bad effects on me and made my depression worse. My last admission to hospital was for my own safety and as a last ditch effort when I was suicidal my psychiatrist thought we'd try Saphris. Within 4 days I noticed a complete change for the better. It helps me sleep but I suspect it also takes away a bit of my drive to exercise which I hate because I used to work in the fitness industry. I do take 2 other medicines so it could be the combination. Generally a positive experience with this medication.

December 18, 2013 11:21 PM
Review by Almost Normal (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Schizophrenia: I was put on Saphris after being on Clozaril for 13 years. My schizophrenia is completely controlled on this medicine. However, it is much less sedating than Clozaril and sleep is sometimes a challenge. It also seems to not increase my appetite-- the first of its kind! For awhile it was also prolonging the QT wave of my heart but that seems to have leveled off. But I do have one major complaint. It sometimes makes me forget how to pronounce words. I guess this is similar to an effect of Topamax. All things said, its good to be almost normal.

December 8, 2013 10:37 PM
Review by still affected: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I took Saphris for the first time recently. First I was sad, then couldn't sleep, then paranoid and went into psychosis. Was told it wasn't very sedating. Much prefer Seroquel!

November 28, 2013 7:19 PM
Review by jozey: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on medication for over 23 years and Saphris is a far better antipsychotic I have ever been prescribed. I feel more motivated, more social, my weight hasn't changed and am now enjoying life unlike the many years I spent on Largactil and other antipsychotics. I have also felt benefits in my sleeping pattern. Use this medicine right and you wont believe the change. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but also use an antidepressant too.

November 22, 2013 4:36 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I waited 3 weeks to write a review cause I was sceptical. After trying so many antidepressant and having the the reversed effect this is the one. I suffer from sever anxiety and PTSD. I take 5mg at night cause it does hit you like a rock. I tried the recommended dose 10mg after a week and it was too much. The taste is annoying but I will deal with that. I am able to concentrate and get things done. I exercise 5xs a week so I have not gained weight. My eating habits are fair so it's diffinatly the exercise. I been trying to find the right drug for 4 years and nothing helped. I do also take klonopin but since I have started saphris it's been reduced it to half of what I used to take. This med has helped me with my anticipatory anxiety

October 28, 2013 5:52 PM
Review by Peachespie:

Saphris (asenapine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on this medication for 4 days now & I can't believe how at peace I finally feel after years of trying every pill combination possible by my dr to get me well. My racing thoughts are gone. My OCD is under control. I noticed even with little OCD problems I have it's as if my mind says "enough" & I'm satisfied. I'm was never satisfied before & in just 4 days these are my results. I also suffer from extrem anxiety and ADD I'm taking intuniv in the am & it's a great combanation off me. Is this too good to be true??!!

October 23, 2013 7:41 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking this for about 4 months now. While I admit I am awful at being consistent with new meds, I am blown away by how well Saphris has consistently toned down my impulsivity, irritation, edginess, suicidal ideations, and cycling depression. Unlike antipsychotics such as lithium, this stuff did not turn me into a walking zombie. I am still able to feel elated, just not so much so that I lose control of myself. Also it helps me have a regular sleeping pattern! I do not know how anyone can taking this in the morning as it knocks me out harder than ambien. The downside of it is that I am experiencing secondary nocturnal enuresis :S It is something I have always struggled with and I would not expect others to experience this.

October 20, 2013 11:37 AM
Review by Joel T: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine): I have been taking 20 mg of Saphris a day for two years now. I take it because I stutter. Dopamine blocking medicines have been known to help with the symptoms of stuttering for years. I used to take Zyprexa and it helped but I needed to sleep 12 hours a day and I gained 30 pounds. Since switching to Saphris I lost the 30 pounds and I only need to sleep 10 hours a day. I have pretty severe sedation in the morning but the improvement in my speech has been pretty dramatic. Saphris has improved my speech fluency by about 80 percent.

October 6, 2013 3:00 PM
Review by michelle marie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Saphris (asenapine): This medicine works good, helps with sleep, and keeps me out of the hospital and jail, also helps with anger, had to take a anti-depressant with it. Seems to make me calmer but downside is weight gain of 15 pounds.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 2, 2013 9:43 AM
Review by KristiR (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am currently taking 1/4 of a 5 mg tablet (but started out on a 1/2 tablet) of Saphris at night. I am also on Lexapro, 10 mg for depression and anxiety. The combo works great. I have horrible insomnia/waking in the night on just Lexapro (or other SSRI's I've tried) but with Saphris I sleep great and wake up refreshed! Only downside is that I've put on 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months, but not sure if it is due to the Lexapro or Saphris or both. I eat very healthy (just too much) and exercise regularly....but find myself always feeling hungry. Oh well...at least I'm happy!

August 17, 2013 6:35 PM
Review by mcadams: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Saphris has helped me more than any other medication (which were many, many over 12 years). I was blown away by the benefit and bewildered that it took so long for someone to prescribe it. I still don't have the strength and energy that I need but I am functioning at 80% to 90%. Before it was barely hanging on with suicidal periods. Savella was another good medication for me but not quite this good. The racing thoughts, paranoia, and insomnia are gone. I usually fall asleep within 15 minutes of lying down. Although I am having some nights of waking up after 3 hours. Just getting to sleep earlier and getting the required sleep I need has made a tremendous difference in how I function and cope. My side effect has been arthritis and weight gain.

August 11, 2013 1:50 AM
Review by Maryjane543: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine is a lifesaver without a doubt

August 5, 2013 9:52 AM
Review by toursjollie: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Schizophrenia: I have been on Saphris for two and a half months now. So far it has been great. My eating is under control compared to when I was on Invega. So far I have lost 3kg due to diet and exercise. Hope to lose some more weight. The only side effect I will complain about is my extended sleep. I sleep for 12-15 hours a day. A bit of a worry for when I am trying to get back to work.

August 4, 2013 6:17 AM
Review by Kissa miau (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I will give this a 2, simply because of the ease of use. The tabs dissolve under your tongue so you can take them anywhere. You cannot eat or drink for 10-15 min afterwards, which is really not a big deal. I am bipolar I with occasional mixed episodes and was prescribed this medicine (5 mg 2x daily) in the middle of a mixed episode while in the hospital. It propelled me into full-blown mania. As with all medicines and this disease, its very personal. This medicine might be more appropriate for someone less prone to mania than myself. I am on Topamax 150 mg (50 mg 3x daily) and Seroquel 100 mg nightly, now. I am not cured by a long shot, but I am certainly a lot better now, a month later, than I was on the Saphris.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 2, 2013 10:09 PM
Review by Edward8787: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Schizophrenia: I'm 28 and was just diagnosed with Schizophrenia about a month ago. I was given Saphris, this is my first antipsychotic medication and it makes me immensely drowsy after 10 minutes. It slowed down the racing thoughts and negative ideas in my head in order to set aside my wants and needs and socially accept what is happening around me and what I need to do. Only down side so far is the intense drowsiness and that gnawing restless sleep feeling when I tried to go to sleep before my regular sleeping schedule. I can't remember falling asleep at all due to the tossing and turning. I do recommend taking it when you're 100% positive your going to sleep and not a moment sooner. Woke up calm and well rested. DAY 1.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 20, 2013 10:24 PM
Review by Maya K: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have tried so many medications for my numerous manic episodes and nothing even came close to the benefits I have experienced with Saphris. It reduced my anxiety and agitation profoundly. I have not had another episode after being on Saphris for over six months. I have an overall sense of well being and much more functional. I've lost 50lbs after being on Zyprexa. Saphris is a wonderful medicine and has given me hope and I am slowly rebuilding my life. It might taste really bad but it is all worth it.

July 2, 2013 4:39 PM
Review by Gary Hava: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: You have to be aware of the positives and negatives of any medicine you take. Even Tylenol. I have found that Saphris has worked pretty well despite a few side effects that I've learned to live with. My doc tried me on Latuda first because I was a bit concerned with taking something sublingually. I should have tried Saphris first. Latuda had me wanting to jump out of my skin and made me want to eat all of the time. I gained 50 pounds in the six months I was on Latuda and have lost all but 7lbs on Saphris. I don't mind the numb tongue because it goes away. I am even used to the taste now. Overall Saphris gave me my life back.

June 17, 2013 5:12 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am Bipolar Type I and was switched to Saphris from Seroquel by my psychiatrist. One dose and I began having suicidal ideation that I hadn't experienced in years. I had the presence of mind to call my psych doc immediately (it was a weekend) but she didn't call back. I am a nurse and should have known better, but I took it the next day. After the second dose, I was frightened I would act on the impulse. Luckily I have a very supportive and observant husband. I called doc again and she said to stop immediately, of course, as I should have after the first dose. I saw her on Monday and went back to Seroquel. Less severe side effects included numbness of my entire tongue and sick-feeling somnolence.

June 2, 2013 7:47 AM
Review by Bart0989: User Rating:

Saphris (asenapine) for Schizophrenia: I have heard it described as the new clozapine. It is a good medicine with little side effects. I'm resistant. To most medications but finally found this medication and I'm getting well again.

May 31, 2013 7:27 PM