User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Bipolar Disorder 122 reviews 46 medications

8.1
Schizophrenia 14 reviews 36 medications

7.6
Summary of Saphris reviews 136 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Saphris

Review by BAEEEE (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Wonderdrug. I have never, ever had a period of more than two days without irritability without hypomania. Within 2 days of taking this medication, my irritability was nil. I was able to sit in a busy, loud restaurant without getting angry or distracted. I have no sedation during the day, and this medication helps me sleep at night, immediately and deeply. I'm sleeping about 9-10 hours every night, which is why I'm giving it 8 of 10 stars, because that amount of sleep is a little much for me. I still feel a normal range of emotion on this medication, my sex drive is normal, I have no side effects. The taste is not so bad, but tongue does get numb every time I take it, but this wears off by the time I wake up.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 10:07 AM

Review by bipolar12345:

For Bipolar Disorder: I take a low dose of Saphris (5 mg). My experience with this medicine is simply incredible. It makes me feel so "zen" and happy, it's a feeling difficult to describe. I used to take clonazepam, but it never made me feel that great. Another good point is that it helps going to sleep, but waking up is easy (not like Seroquel and Zyprexa!!)

March 10, 2015 7:57 PM

Review by Seanie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel for 7 years and was initially happy with the effects, but the medication hasn't been working as well lately and I have gained 40kgs in those 7 years. So I was put on Saphris 3 weeks ago. The benefits have been amazing, with increased energy, memory and positive thoughts. Unfortunately, I had a severe allergic reaction to Saphris a few days ago and I've had to stop taking it. I hope to find something just as good. I suppose the good news is that now I know that there are other Atypical Antipsychotics that could help me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2015 6:04 PM

Review by Seanie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on Seroquel for 7 years when I had to start trialling something else due to weight gain. I was taking Saphris 3 weeks and I had a severe allergic reaction. Saphris was changing my life for the better and so I'm sad that I can't take it anymore. I had motivation, great memory & concentration, positive thoughts, ability to plan & function highly and loads of energy. I can't take the tablets anymore, but i'm going to miss how good they made me feel. Now I'm looking into Zeldox or Latuda. I definitely need an antipsychotic for my Bipolar.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2015 5:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizophrenia: This is an awesome medication for those patients that are immune to 1st and 2nd generation psychotropic meds.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 1:30 PM

Review by Andrew The Great (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Been on Saphris for almost a year. Have tried almost all of the others except for Latuda. My experience is that I have had the best dreams and put on the least amount of weight on this medicine. Also, not nearly as drowsy.

February 19, 2015 5:49 PM

Review by Bones Malone:

For Schizophrenia: I have been on first 5mg then 10 mg now 20 mg of Saphris since 10-14. At first I thought I'd fould the Holy Grail of schizophrenia! All hallucinations just stopped! However, as time goes on, schizophrenia sticks it's insidious little head out of the sand and back I go into the hospital. Overall-compared to the other anti-psychotics out there, pretty good stuff man.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2015 11:05 AM

Review by HiSpRiNcEsS (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Diagnosed ADHD, Bipolar, Major Depression, GAD, Panic disorder. Have been on Saphris 5 mg at night for 1 week. After the first dose I could tell a huge difference in my mood. For the first time in months I woke up in a great mood. After a few days, I knew I was no longer in mania. Which I've been in for at least 4 mths. My thinking is back to normal. The only problem I'm having is keeping my mood stabilized. When I take it at night it puts me to sleep in 15 min. No longer using sleeping meds. For one week of use I think it's a great medicine.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by PTSDandMe (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Currently taking Effexor, Lorazepam, Remeron, Prazosin, Propranolol, and Saphris. Despite the medication regiment, I was having a very hard time with anxiety. The panic attacks were debilitating so my psych doc decided to try me on Saphris. He told me to take 5mg at night and 2.5-5mg in the morning if I needed it. The most noticeable side effects I've had are sleepiness, numb/tingly tongue, and clumsiness. The first three days, the taste of the tablet (regular "flavor") was awful. Today, about one week since starting, it's tolerable. My anxiety has reduced significantly. My flashbacks have reduced in severity, I feel more mellow and calm. Saphris is really helping me get the most out of my therapy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by Kris the Ghost (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I'm sleeping for the 1st time in YEARS without the screaming-clawing-gasping-horrors (the thing people refer to as "nightmares"). Waking up was the worst part. Waking up found me in a dead panic, or a blood-red rage, unable to function. Nothing helped, some things made me worse. I have been labeled "medication resistant" because nothing helped & I'd given up. No med-of-the-month for me. I've been suicidal for awhile, but hadn't told anyone. Had a breakdown while with Mom. I called my shrink, put her on speakerphone, & she called in a prescription for Saphris. I stayed with Mom. We got the medicine. Starting calming with the 1st dose. I now remember what sleep & rest feel like! Cleared my head. I still have my artistic creativity, too!

November 30, 2014 5:02 AM

Review by LJ Arizona (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Saphris for nine months. I am taking 20 mg at night. I find the medication puts me to sleep 10-15 minutes after taking my dosage. If I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I stumble around in a daze. After sleeping 9-10 hours, I wake up feeling refreshed. I also take Lamotrigine and Sertraline. To manage anxiety, I take Lorazepam as needed. It took me several months to see the full benefits. Today, I am under control. No suicidal thoughts. No aggressive behavior. I am no longer having the delusions that people are out to get me and/or I am being followed. Best of all the medication did not throw me into depression. I still have problems when I become overwhelmed or in a busy environment.

November 13, 2014 3:54 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started Saphris after experiencing some episodes of violent anger as a result of mixed episodes of my bipolar disorder. There was an almost immediate lessening of symptoms, making me feel calmer right away. I have experienced almost no side effects from the medicine other than occasional sleepiness, but nothing debilitating. I had little or no weight gain, which made me very happy. It also has a lower incidence of causing cholesterol and blood sugar issues than many other AAPs. I find Saphris very helpful for both the immediate treatment of a breakthrough mixed/manic episode as well as for daily maintenance.

October 1, 2014 8:00 PM

Review by Horrible drug (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I developed tardive dyskinesia of the toes, constant akathesia and inability to sit still. I stopped the medicine weeks ago and I still am moving.

September 24, 2014 8:24 PM

Review by that1hippiechick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar1, general & social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder. I've been on pretty much everything over the last 14 years. Seroquel worked well for over a year but the weight gain was awful. Regular exercise and healthy eating. Lithium and Lamictal replaced the Seroquel and seemed efficient, couldn't handle the nausea anymore after 2 yrs. 5 weeks ago I decided I wanted try Saphris. Psych agreed, decided to start low and slow as I tend to have allergic or increased anxiety with most medicines. Started on 2.5mg for a week. I literally felt better the next morning. I had increased energy and felt happy for the first time in over 10yrs. I'm up to 5mg pm, 2.5mg am. Anxiety decreased, and down to 1.5mg of Klonopin daily from 3mg. This is a miracle for me!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 7:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I take 3/4 of a 5mg Saphris and 200mg Epilim which helps to take the edge off of my anxiety and depression. I felt a difference within days of taking my first dose, like I could breathe again and didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders. What I will say though is that medication is never the complete answer. My medicines have allowed me to get to a stable enough place where I am able to deal with the underlying issues causing my depression and anxiety. Does help me feel more comfortable in my own skin.

September 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by lake forest oconnor:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took 1 5 mg a few nights ago. My body had unbearable muscle thrashing. I woke up every 2 minutes spasming out of control it was very painful as well and couldn't get sleep.

August 23, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by BradwickMD (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed Saphris for bipolar disorder. The morning after my first bedtime dose I had a number of side effects. I experienced confusion, dizziness, hallucinations and acute short term memory loss. As a result of the confusion and acute short term memory loss, I unintentionally overdosed on my morning medications resulting in extreme doses of medications. The most concerning was a 900mg dose of Wellbutrin (bupropion) which in doses of 300mg or more can cause seizures.

August 10, 2014 1:00 PM

Review by RitzKrakerz:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I've been taking Saphris for about 6 months and it's been a wonder of a miracle! I can finally function and accomplish daily tasks. Before I was depressed all the time now I have lots of energy and I think more clearly. It's heaven sent.

August 7, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by Twightman91 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I had been taking Saphris 10mg at bedtime for well over a year and then suddenly stopped taking it for a month to see how I would feel. In this month I was a wreck and had racing thoughts and couldn't fall asleep until 2am and would be up 6 hours later. I also found myself fantasizing about stuff and being unrealistic about things. I started taking it again close to a month ago and I really see how much it helps me. The only downside is that I sleep over 11 hours now and I get into such a deep sleep without waking up once.

July 23, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by djeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Bipolar with mixed episodes, ADHD and severe anxiety. Saphris was a miracle for me also. I've been on disability for 10 years and this is the first medicine I've taken that has made me functional. Absolutely can't take it the morning; it makes me incoherent for about 3 hours and I eat everything in sight. So I take all 20 mgs at night and am doing fine. Have mouth sores, though. My doctor said to alternate between taking it sublingually, supra lingually and but ally and it's helping.

June 29, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Reeena:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Saphris for about 3 months now. I take 15mgs at night. I'm able to sleep now without the help of any other medicine. I get restless from time to time but subdue it with Vistaril. Sometimes I get boosts of energy which can be good. My moods are more balanced than ever before. I can laugh things off instead of getting angry. The reason I gave Saphris a 9 is because it affects my libido. I recently started taking Wellbutrin to combat this. I hope it works!

May 10, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by Life is Great! (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started out with 20 mg of Saphris but stayed groggy. Went down to 10 mg and have been on it for 6 months. I also take a sleep aid at night and now I sleep 6-7 hrs compared to 3-4. No running thoughts in my head. The longest time I have ever stayed out of the hospital in 12 years. I feel wonderful, when I start getting anxious, I take a 5 mg with my Xanax and I am good to go. Downside: Gained 50 pds and cholesterol is through the roof, even though I do not eat red meat. Always have the munchies though. Had to start on a statin medicine. Blood sugar is higher than usual but within range. Keeping an eye out on this too. But this is the only medicine that has worked for me without being a zombie or continued mixed episodes.

April 9, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Todd B. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I believe I have found the answer I have been looking for! Been on it about two months. I sleep throught the night with a lot less interruption and I fall asleep more quickly. My thought pattern is far less anxious and muddled; I am able to concentrate. My mood is far less out of whack and I am generally happy. The only downside for me is it gives me the munchies and I have diabetes, so I have gained some weight a bit rapidly. However, with a lot of effort, I have eliminated foods out of my diet that are carbs. I am starting to level out and I have a lot of hope for the future with this medicine. It is expensive, but I have good insurance.

March 18, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by Review gal:

For Bipolar Disorder: Been bipolar for seventeen years, Saphris for two months, started out eating right after I took it and I was very sleepy. The eating eventually subsided but within ten days I started having jaw muscle tension. At first I had energy and the racing thoughts and paranoia went away. The sublingual dosing and taste seemed to be minor in the hopes that it would help symptoms. I would take it at night only, after getting everything done for the evening because it really made me sleep deeply, within fifteen minutes, when I really didn't have a sleeping problem before taking it. It did make me more alert during the day, which almost led to panic on several occasions. It was addressing psychosis symptoms but I continued a low level of depression

February 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Anon434343:

For Bipolar Disorder: Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris.

February 9, 2014 11:21 PM