User Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Strep Throat

Review by mr. larry:

I had strep throat for 2 days after taking amoxicillin/clavulanate after the first pill I was 60 per cent better it works

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2015 7:01 PM

Review by ghhrf (taken for less than 1 month):

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): Still sick and throat hurts sfter 36 hrs

January 14, 2015 10:55 AM

Review by BigBabyDave:

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): After failing to complete the 10 day cycle of penicillin initially prescribed and a 3 day delay in getting back to the doctor, the the strep came back 500x worse than the first time (including sinus and ear infections). Augmentin was prescribed along with Lidocaine Viscous (to gargle), Sudafed, Flonase, Ibuprofen, and Saline Rinse. After 1 day, I can tell that I am on the mend... fever gone; throat, ears and sinuses getting better... I have had no adverse digestive effects (am eating yogurt consistently as it's he only that I have been able to get down). I am thankful that the Nurse Practitioner at CVS Minute Clinic went all out instead of sending me to the ER. This time I will finish the complete cycle!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by mommy of 2divaS:

Was given this medicine for strep throat, prescribed 875mg twice daily; I was in so much pain I seriously felt like crying every time I had to swallow or tried eating or drinking anything! My tonsils were huge, very inflamed & red with white blister like spots. I went to Walgreens little clinic Sunday morning & started this medicine that afternoon by the morning of day 3 my throat felt 10x better! Amazing by the end of day 3; needless to say the medicine was definitely doing its job great, UNTIL it hit me that Friday, the nightmare started of bubble guts, diarrhea & the most awful foul smelling gas ever! Severe diarrhea 13hours and counting.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 7:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): This medicine worked to clear up sinus and chest infection within 4 days but my sense of taste is gone. Everything tastes blend or not right. Only sweet things are flavorful. Must be the Augmentin. On 10 day course.

June 16, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Effa (taken for less than 1 month):

Had fever about 38 degrees Celsius, really painful sore throat with excruciating joint and muscle pain for two days, was only on paracetamol, two tablets six hourly because I could not even swallow my saliva or walk to the bathroom. Private GP started me on it and on day two I could already eat and move around the house. I only had mild stomach pain and increased bowel movement instead of once daily, it is three times plus slight nausea. Today I am on third day and am feeling much better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by strep:

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): My Dr told me to drink it down with water and then eat yogurt or probiotic an hour after each dose and I never got sick and she said if you don't drink enough water you will get the runs , so I drank tons and never got it , I am too happy .I had been suffering for two months.

February 27, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by S. RICHARD RAJ:

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): My worst nightmare started with uncontrollable sneezing in the evening which later developed into severe throat pain and musculoskeletal pain with temperatures shooting up to 103. The physician (whom I consulted in the absence of my family physician) prescribed cefixime and Azithromycin (200 500) combination twice a day, but the progress was very slow with the temp remaining high at 103. Fortunately, my physician returned and I consulted again and was prescribed Augmentin 625 twice a day for 3 days. Within a day, I found excellent improvement and the second day the strep pharyngitis completely subsided.

February 6, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Vitamin C Mom:

Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin / clavulanate): My son was first given Amoxicillin 400mg/5ML SUSP for his strep throat, but that was not effective in treating his bacteria. He continued to have a high fever so Dr.'s perscribed Augmentin ES-600 SUSP. My son who is 11 years old would LOVE to go back to the Amoxicillin. The taste of the Augmentin is "like swallowing chalk" as my son describes. It also seems to be affecting his taste buds. Everything tastes terrible this week. He is only on day 4 of a 10 day supply, twice a day.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 7:11 AM

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): The throat pain is gone but have serious diarrhea. However have been wondering about implications in breastfeeding.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2012 11:43 AM

Review by Bbaird (taken for less than 1 month):

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): This is only my second day on the medicine. The swelling and pain has gone down dramatically however the side effects are bad. Horrible cramping, abdominal pain and of course, wretched diarrhea. Like I said, I'm only on my second day, let's just hope this doesn't last much longer.

May 4, 2012 10:40 AM

Review by Lyndylou:

No adverse side effects at all and I am the worlds worst for taking tablets and worrying about the side effects. I was really very poorly but by day 2 of taking the medicine I was feeling so much better and back in the land of the living.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2012 3:25 AM

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): Day 2 symptoms improved probably 50%, no adverse side effects at all.

April 11, 2012 9:51 PM

Review by Bill Granger:

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): On day 1, no change in the symptoms. Day 2: I got diarrhea. Day: 3 no more fever and pain relief, diarrhea reduces as well. Day 4: No fever, no diarrhea and a little headache. Days 5 to 7: I forgot I was sick, had to put reminders on the phone in order to remember to follow the 7 days prescription. Worked for me.

January 5, 2012 11:29 PM

Review by Koobi:

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): Very good

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2011 11:20 AM

Review by JENBY:

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): In 2 days I feel 80% better! I did have some cramping and diarrhea, it has almost stopped. On 3rd day now-pretty strong medicine.

February 20, 2011 7:11 AM

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): This cleared my throat infection within 2 days and made me feel so much better pretty quickly as far as temperature and discomfort were concerned. However, I did vomit with it and felt nauseous for about an hour and a half after taking it. The diarrhoea is still with me on day 4.

August 30, 2009 3:53 AM

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): This medication did clear up my strep throat within the first couple days being on it. However the side effects were horrible. I had watery diarrhea for like 3 days, I always felt nausea after taking it even with food, and I had strong stomach pains. Also by the 4th day on it I had a yeast infection.

July 24, 2009 9:53 AM