User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Strep Throat

"I was diagnosed with strep throat Monday morning. The doctor prescribed 500mg of amoxicillin three times a day. I filled the script that morning and started my course. It is now Saturday morning and I am halfway through the course. Last night was the worst night since this thing started. I cannot sleep through the night because my throat is still very swollen and it is extremely painful when I swallow. My lower back and ears are now achy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"I had strep throat for 2 days after taking amoxicillin/clavulanate after the first pill I was 60 per cent better it works"

mr. larry March 22, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Still sick and throat hurts sfter 36 hrs"

ghhrf (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "After failing to complete the 10 day cycle of penicillin initially prescribed and a 3 day delay in getting back to the doctor, the the strep came back 500x worse than the first time (including sinus and ear infections). Augmentin was prescribed along with Lidocaine Viscous (to gargle), Sudafed, Flonase, Ibuprofen, and Saline Rinse. After 1 day, I can tell that I am on the mend... fever gone; throat, ears and sinuses getting better... I have had no adverse digestive effects (am eating yogurt consistently as it's he only that I have been able to get down). I am thankful that the Nurse Practitioner at CVS Minute Clinic went all out instead of sending me to the ER. This time I will finish the complete cycle!"

BigBabyDave January 3, 2015

"Was given this medicine for strep throat, prescribed 875mg twice daily; I was in so much pain I seriously felt like crying every time I had to swallow or tried eating or drinking anything! My tonsils were huge, very inflamed & red with white blister like spots. I went to Walgreens little clinic Sunday morning & started this medicine that afternoon by the morning of day 3 my throat felt 10x better! Amazing by the end of day 3; needless to say the medicine was definitely doing its job great, UNTIL it hit me that Friday, the nightmare started of bubble guts, diarrhea & the most awful foul smelling gas ever! Severe diarrhea 13hours and counting."

mommy of 2divaS December 18, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This medicine worked to clear up sinus and chest infection within 4 days but my sense of taste is gone. Everything tastes blend or not right. Only sweet things are flavorful. Must be the Augmentin. On 10 day course."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2014

"Had fever about 38 degrees Celsius, really painful sore throat with excruciating joint and muscle pain for two days, was only on paracetamol, two tablets six hourly because I could not even swallow my saliva or walk to the bathroom. Private GP started me on it and on day two I could already eat and move around the house. I only had mild stomach pain and increased bowel movement instead of once daily, it is three times plus slight nausea. Today I am on third day and am feeling much better."

Effa (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My Dr told me to drink it down with water and then eat yogurt or probiotic an hour after each dose and I never got sick and she said if you don't drink enough water you will get the runs , so I drank tons and never got it , I am too happy .I had been suffering for two months."

strep February 27, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My worst nightmare started with uncontrollable sneezing in the evening which later developed into severe throat pain and musculoskeletal pain with temperatures shooting up to 103. The physician (whom I consulted in the absence of my family physician) prescribed cefixime and Azithromycin (200 500) combination twice a day, but the progress was very slow with the temp remaining high at 103. Fortunately, my physician returned and I consulted again and was prescribed Augmentin 625 twice a day for 3 days. Within a day, I found excellent improvement and the second day the strep pharyngitis completely subsided."

S. RICHARD RAJ February 6, 2014

Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "My son was first given Amoxicillin 400mg/5ML SUSP for his strep throat, but that was not effective in treating his bacteria. He continued to have a high fever so Dr.'s perscribed Augmentin ES-600 SUSP. My son who is 11 years old would LOVE to go back to the Amoxicillin. The taste of the Augmentin is "like swallowing chalk" as my son describes. It also seems to be affecting his taste buds. Everything tastes terrible this week. He is only on day 4 of a 10 day supply, twice a day."

Vitamin C Mom February 7, 2013

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "The throat pain is gone but have serious diarrhea. However have been wondering about implications in breastfeeding."

Anonymous November 14, 2012

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This is only my second day on the medicine. The swelling and pain has gone down dramatically however the side effects are bad. Horrible cramping, abdominal pain and of course, wretched diarrhea. Like I said, I'm only on my second day, let's just hope this doesn't last much longer."

Bbaird (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2012

"No adverse side effects at all and I am the worlds worst for taking tablets and worrying about the side effects. I was really very poorly but by day 2 of taking the medicine I was feeling so much better and back in the land of the living."

Lyndylou April 21, 2012

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Day 2 symptoms improved probably 50%, no adverse side effects at all."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "On day 1, no change in the symptoms. Day 2: I got diarrhea. Day: 3 no more fever and pain relief, diarrhea reduces as well. Day 4: No fever, no diarrhea and a little headache. Days 5 to 7: I forgot I was sick, had to put reminders on the phone in order to remember to follow the 7 days prescription. Worked for me."

Bill Granger January 5, 2012

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Very good"

Koobi March 3, 2011

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "In 2 days I feel 80% better! I did have some cramping and diarrhea, it has almost stopped. On 3rd day now-pretty strong medicine."

JENBY February 20, 2011

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This cleared my throat infection within 2 days and made me feel so much better pretty quickly as far as temperature and discomfort were concerned. However, I did vomit with it and felt nauseous for about an hour and a half after taking it. The diarrhoea is still with me on day 4."

Anonymous August 30, 2009

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This medication did clear up my strep throat within the first couple days being on it. However the side effects were horrible. I had watery diarrhea for like 3 days, I always felt nausea after taking it even with food, and I had strong stomach pains. Also by the 4th day on it I had a yeast infection."

Anonymous July 24, 2009