User Reviews for Differin

Learn more about Differin.

Differin review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

Review by jessicabfmv<3:

I have mild acne and I was starting to get really frustrated with it, so I saw my doctor. He put me on Differin and told me to use it on only the spots themselves and not on my whole face. I did this before bed. When I woke up the next day I was amazed to see that all my spots were flat and much less red than they had been the previous night. I would definitely recommend Differin for people who have mild acne as well.

June 26, 2014 7:36 AM

Review by elsabethgray (taken for less than 1 month):

I began using Differin after I had an experience with some mild acne. The first two weeks were horrible - my acne went from mild to severe in a matter of days. However, that 's how the medicine works. It pushes the acne out and allows your skin to heal. So even though the first two weeks are hell, it does work. Once the initial breakout clears you're home free.

June 18, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by zap my acne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had acne right after I got out of high school (which is weird right), and I have tried all kinds of stuff (proactive,PObagai, and a long laundry list of other stuff) and none of it has really helped. I tried Differin and I must say my skin is really smooth and has way less acne. I must admit when I first tried it, my skin didn't fair well with it and began to peel horribly. After reading a few posts from other people I used a moisturizer first and then used Differin, and no longer did have dry peely skin. I used Cerave cleaner and their am and pm moisturizer, and now I can say my skin looks fantastic with Differin and Ceravae. Acne takes time to heal and Differin will make a difference for you!

June 9, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by melissajhael:

I love Differin. I seriously cannot live without it! My face is acne free for the first time ever! In the beginning yes you might not notice any changes but just keep using it day after day and after a few months you'll see the progress.

April 23, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Cat45:

Sophomore year of college, literally over a couple weeks, I developed severe acne all over my cheeks. I went to the dermatologist and they gave me Differin. I definitely would wake up and need to put lotion on my face because my face was visibly dry and had dead skin coming off. After about a month, I started seeing results and had less pimples on my face. After about 6 months my face was clear, but I still had acne scars. I had treatments done at the dermatologist to help those. It's been 5 years and now I get complemented for my skin all the time. It's great! Still using Differin every other week and Cetaphil face lotion every day.

March 16, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by Adlers mom:

I've had acne for about 12 years now since I'm 13 years old. I have tried different things including Proactive and Acne Free along with some other prescription medications. Nothing ever cleared it 100 percent. I have been using Differin gel 0.03% for a little over two weeks now. At first my face was dry and broke out worse then normal. The last few days my face has gotten better, I have about 5 blemishes rather then 12 large cysts that I would normally have. I am hoping that the rest clear up soon. I notice my acne scars have gotten better looking as well since using Differin. I am super excited to see the coming weeks progress.

February 27, 2014 4:44 PM

Review by acnegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I began to use Epiduo and Differin one month ago. At first I was dissapointed because I had unrealistically high expectations for how fast they would work, but once I got over that and realized it would take time I was fine. I used Velocity moisturizer for the dryness and it didn't work at all sadly, but then I witched to Cetaphil and my skin began to improve because it was no longer too dry. My skin isn't where I want it to be yet, but looking back at older pictures before using the products, I know it's on its way.

January 16, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Ally1234:

I've had acne since like the 7th grade and I didn't really bother to do anything about it because it wasn't bad but at the end of 8th grade it got worse so I went to a dermatologist and she prescribed Epiduo to me and I used it and had clear skin for almost the whole summer, but in August when school started my face started getting horribly dry and peeling and it hurt. So I went back to the derm. and she prescribed Differin (0.3%) gel and I've been using it now for 4 months and it works great! I have to say it does get worse before it gets better.

December 26, 2013 12:36 PM

Review by Meg1995:

I've been using this gel for probably about 2 or 3 years now. I started getting acne in around 6th grade where as I didn't start my period until 9th grade. I've never had SEVERE acne, there's just always been at least a couple zits on my face for as long as I can remember. I had no significant peeling or dryness when I started using differin, and I also had no immediate results. Slowly over time, however, my acne is becoming less severe and less often. Maybe it's because of the differin, maybe it's because I'm growing out of it. I did stop using it last summer as a test and my skin got worse and worse for the entire month I stopped using it and it took a solid 3-4 months after I started using it again for my skin to return back to normal.

November 1, 2013 9:48 AM

Review by Life changer!! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am a 29 year old female who has suffered from severe acne vulgaris all my life and was recently diagnosed. I used everything known to man and when I finally saw a dermatologist he prescribed me this as well as a face wash. The first two weeks I had experienced redness, peeling, pain, hot to touch skin (I used cocoa butter to soothe it) just as the doctor said I would but later into the 3rd and 4th week and even now my skin is extremely clear and almost flawless. The difference expedited the shedding of my skin and caused the old dead scarred skin to peel off revealing new soft youthful and un-scarred skin. My skin is very beautiful now and I will continue to use this medicine until my acne subsides. Great product.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2013 2:16 PM

Review by Mikeissothankfulfordifferin:

I had clear skin all the way up to junior year. I became stressed out due to the work load and decided to buy products that contained chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. I even purchased a system, but I believe that it dried out my skin and produced an oil flare up. My acne was considerably worse after 30 days. I got cystic pimples. I finally convinced my parents to seek me a dermatologist. I was prescribed Differin lotion (0.3% adapalene) along with minocycline 100mg, twice a day. I wash my face now with Purpose gentle cleansing car. The first week I only used Differin because my insurance had not cleared Minocycline yet. I saw significant improvement. Almost my 3rd month and breakouts have ceased.

August 30, 2013 4:01 PM

Review by Doggyd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first started using Differin my skin was really red and peels, for several days. After that it started to look better a lot but then out of nowhere it started to break more especially cystic acne on my face and my skin is really hot to the touch and painful. I hope it's just that it gets worse before it gets better.

April 13, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by Nicolette17:

I've never had acne until November of last year. Due to large amounts of stress, I broke out all over my forehead and chin. It caused me to get stressed out even more! I went to my doctor to tell her about all the symptoms I've been having due to all this stress and she gave me Differin for the acne. I've only been using it for about 2 weeks now and I've definitely noticed a difference! The left side of my forehead is almost completely cleared up! I remember after only 3 night of using this that I woke up and noticed my acne had gotten worse (this is a good thing, I knew it meant that it was pushing the acne up to the surface to get out). I love this!

February 1, 2012 8:30 PM

It started to help in the beginning then a month later I got the worst breakouts.

January 6, 2012 3:53 PM

Review by Matt E:

I started using this topical medicine a few weeks ago. Within the first 7-14 days, my skin was a bit dry, and peeled a little bit. This is just the medicine beginning to work, and exfoliating any dead skin cells. However, after about 2-3 weeks, I started to see a huge improvement in my skin. Before using, I had moderate acne, and now I would classify it as light. Make sure you use this medicine at night, and wash it off in the morning. Also, after you put the medicine on your face at night, put a moisturizer on your face (preferably Cetaphil or CeraVe). During the day, do not expose yourself to prolonged sunshine as the affected areas will get red and feel greasy (not a pleasant look and feeling). This is a great medicine, but give it time.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2011 8:55 AM

Review by tiff03:

The first topical treatment I used was Duac and I didn't see a change in my skin. I switched to Retin-A and I peeled so bad I couldn't use it at all. My doctor switched me to the generic adapalene gel 0.1% and I've been using it for a few months now. It works amazing. I can use it every night and I've never peeled and I was even able to stop my antibiotic. I LOVE it!

September 27, 2011 2:53 PM

Review by Jessica-CA:

This summer I've broken out severely. I've tried Proactiv, AcneFree, and Clean and clear Advantage. Proactiv didn't work at all and AcneFree was very harsh on my skin! Clean and Clear did help but not that much. I finally went to the doctor and she prescribed Differin. I've been taking it for a couple of weeks now and I am starting to see a difference. I've even noticed that my acne scars are healing and getting lighter. I haven't got any of those huge- hurt your face pimples either.

August 31, 2011 2:17 PM

Review by prettyinpurple2:

I've been using Differin for 2 years now, and it has worked well for me. I still get small bumps though and am going to ask my dermatologist for the 0.3% Differin because I am currently on the 0.1%. I think using the stronger cream will clear it all up.

March 7, 2011 10:55 PM

Review by JimJames:

I started getting a few to many zits the summer starting after freshman year in college (that summer is just about to end) so I started using Differin. A full 10 weeks later I see pretty darn good results (there is less acne and the zits that are there are smaller). It does get worse before it gets better though. Week 2-6 were hell. I didn't have severe acne (or that close to severe) to begin with, but I wanted to clear my face as much as possible, and in a week and a half when school starts back I will be well into my 12th week and I think it's entirely possible that I could be completely clear by then. I also have been taking 65mg extended release Solodyn (minocycline) the entire time as well as Differin.

August 25, 2010 8:47 PM

I only used this product for a few days, I had to quit because not only did it dry out my skin but my eyes would dry out in my sleep and I couldn't open them. Not a good feeling!

February 2, 2010 9:40 PM

Review by Kennedy45:

I started using Differin when I was 12. I was going through puberty and getting the worst acne anyone has ever seen. I saw significant improvements in my skin immediately. On the downside, it dries some parts of my face and has increased oiliness in other parts, so now every morning I wash my face and apply moderate-strength moisturizer. It doesn't prevent blackheads, and I still get some pimples and boils here or there. Now I am 20 and still apply it to my whole face every night.

December 29, 2009 6:14 PM

I've been using Differin for 5 weeks now. My skin had seemed to be improving but then all of a sudden the last few days I've had several new break outs. It's a little frustrating but I'll continue using it as it can take up to 12 weeks for the best results. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

July 10, 2009 2:19 AM

I love Differin. My skin is always pretty dry and red though. It has dramatically improved my skin but I still suffer from breakouts and blackheads. Now they are just smaller. Decent product if you have mild to moderate acne.

March 19, 2009 5:54 AM

I don't have that severe of acne, but I do have regular pimples, including the cyst-like kind that hurt. I get them on my face, back, and chest. Differin worked wonders on my skin with very little irritation. I recommend it for sure!

December 30, 2008 5:16 PM

Review by Jennyv:

My acne became worst within the first 2 weeks of using Differin, then all of a sudden it began to get better. The improvements must have happened at night because I would get excited in the mornings when I washed my face. I have to strongly agree with the person who posted before me. DO NOT GET YOUR EYEBROWS WAXED while using this product. My skin was ripped off and immediately turned red. A day or so later it left this large UGLY scar under my eyebrows. About a week later it peeled and was fine, but who wants to go through that.

December 19, 2008 10:58 AM