User Reviews for Differin

Learn more about Differin.

Differin Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 462 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Differin to treat Acne

"I'm currently on my 5th week of Differin. Things aren't looking up. I'm in college and I'm currently interning before I get into med school - this means everyday practical exams and everyday patient evaluation. I've lost all my self esteem - I wish I never went on Differin in the first place. Should I stop it? I was said it took 6-12 weeks to see results, and improvement right after the first month. That never happened and honestly, I no longer want to return to my dermatologist. It was an absolute waste of money and time. My face is exploding with cysts, especially on my nose. And I hate seeing my patients like this. What should I do?"

Miss Intern January 29, 2016

"I have been using the gel for the last few weeks. My skin has become more oily and sensitive. I hope that it would heel. I have used this product before. And it completely cleared my face. But I didn't stick to it. So it came back."

melony harison January 22, 2016

"This , dried my eyes out very bad and made them sore it also made my acne worse"

luciejww (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"Absolutely amazing! Since I have used this medicine my face has cleared up in less than a month! I had a lot of bumps on my forehead and pimples and my face including cheeks. I also feel that it is helping with my acne scars. I really hoped this helped and that more people can live with clear skin:)"

Anonymous January 14, 2016

"I have PCOS and for the last two years have struggled with hormonal acne. I went from rarely wearing makeup to feeling embarrassed without it. I noticed changes when I stressed less but over the counter products were not working. My skin was very dry and had even started peeling. Also, I had huge cystic acne clustered on my cheeks and after a few days if using differin they were gone. I didn't have the initial stage of my acne getting worst. My face is pimple free after a week and a half. It actually has started clearing up my dark spots. (Note: I also take spironolactone daily for acne as well as medroxyprogesterone 10 days a month for pcos)"

Very Happy (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

"I've always had really mild breakouts ever since college started, but I gradually lost them through Clearasil and St. Ives. But now that I'm in my junior year, I'm breaking out twice as much. My dermatologist prescribed me Differin (0.01 cream adapalene), and it was quite pricey because I was taking it alongside clindamycin, which I only put on my pimples whereas I used a pea-sized amount of Differin on my entire face. I'm currently on my third day of Differin and Clindamycin, and I have been experiencing skin peelings on my nose and a little bit of redness and tenderness. There have been more breakouts (I now have 6 pimples), and I hope it gets worse before it gets better now that it's still holiday break."

Mia ❤️ (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

"After retin A seemingly stopped working, my doctor put me on differin. I had high hopes but it didn't work out. This gel didn't cause the dry irritation in my skin but instead caused my skin to become excessively oily which then cause blackheads to pop up all over my face, which I've never had a problem with them, except maybe a few on my nose and in the creases of my nose. I started getting blackheads on my forehead (and I'm not talking about them being barely noticeable, they were large and made noticeable bumps on my skin) on my chin, between my eyebrows - everywhere. I also started developing acne on my cheeks which I've never had before so I stopped taking the mediation after that completely."

Emilyci December 23, 2015

"I've only used this product once (Last night) after it was prescribed by my doctor and I woke up looking like I was wearing foundation. I've had acne for about a year and the just started off as sweat pimples. They got much worse in the following 6 months, I got teased for them when I went up a grade. My worst problem is the redness my acne causes and this really helped, even in the first night! Someone actually commented that I looked like I was wearing makeup."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"I had mild acne on my face, upper arms, chest, and back and after using this for 2 months I still have acne on my face but it is very small and not very many pimples left. However I have also been using this on the my arms, chest, and back but this has not worked at all in thoes areas. I also used to have acne on my shoulder but it is completely gone thansk to this product. For me it works in some areas but not others weird."

My name is... October 19, 2015

"I've used this product for 12 weeks now my comedone acne completely cleared after 8 weeks of use. Broke out a lot in the first 8 weeks but once I reached 8 weeks and onwards my skin has drastically changed. Would definitely recommend this for comedone acne and do try and persevere as it take at least 8 weeks to work."

Anonymous October 17, 2015

"Differin XP has been a miracle product for me. As a girl who's had moderate breakouts since the age of 13, (am now 23!) I have to say sticking to this product has been very well-worth it! For the first 2 months, yes, my skin was very dry and even flaky, and yes it did turn me off a bit - but I was warned of this side-effect and decided to just keep going with it. I was able to battle the flakiness with use of exfoliants, and even in the first few months, I felt my breakouts were happening less often and were less severe. Now, 8 months later, the flakiness is no longer an issue and find using this product has boosted my quality of life, although I still do get the occasional few tiny pimples - it does its job."

C_____N October 6, 2015

"A dermatologist (a different dermatologist than I usually see) recommended to start using Differin along with taking my Doxycycline. I have been using the topical gel for 3 days on my face and back and I only have negative things to say. My face is peeling badly and the skin is very red and irritated. I have tried different moisturizers and they just burn. The outer corners of my eyes are red and painful. My back broke out with large blister-like pimples. I do not have sensitive skin and my acne is not very bad. I feel this product has actually worsened my condition. I am going to stop using Differin immediately. I don't know how long it's going to take my skin to heal."

Samantha H. September 22, 2015

"One of the best acne medications I've ever used! Super pricey but well worth. Works for any part of your body. Definitely recommended it"

Nic12345 August 30, 2015

"I've been using this for almost a month and my skin is extremely sensitive, red, and is peeling like crazy. When I began using this my skin broke out like crazy as well. I start school in 3 days and I am so embarrassed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2015

"I started using differin in February after dealing with horrible acne my last semester of college. I think it was stress related, because I've always had pretty great skin up until then. I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed me differin and antibiotics. All I can say is there is hope!! It took me 12 whole weeks to have skin I was comfortable with, but it really does work. My skin was horrible at first when I began using it, the purge as people like to call it, and I really didn't think there was going to be a light at the end of the tunnel. But seriously week 12 hit and it was night and day. I still use it every night with some days off in between but now I am actually comfortable in my skin w/ only the occasional zit"

Bex166638388944 August 2, 2015

"I've had bad skin since 4th grade, I never did anything about it I would just wear makeup and coverup, last year in grade 9 I went on the pill for my skin, it completely cleared the acne on my back and chest but my face was still bad. I eventually got put on differin gel, and within the first week my skin was clear for the first time! But I began getting a red rash on my face and my skin was peeling and very sensitive to anything else I put on there, even my makeup. I've now been using it for about 4 months, to anyone who is looking to go on differin gel I highly recommend it, but do not judge your skin within the first few weeks because your skin will be getting used to it. I now have completely clear skin and am very happy."

Catlover15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

"I'm 16, and I had really bad acne on my cheeks especially, the first couple of nights of using the cream made my skin pretty dry and flakey. The first thing I noticed with the cream is it got rid of all my pus filled pimples straight away. It took a while maybe 2 months, but by the my acne had cleared up so much! There were a lot of red marks left behind but that's alright because they're not overly noticeable and they will fade away with time. For anyone that is suffering with acne, just go see a gp or a dermatologist, overcome the fear and the embarrassment of acne because the results are so satisfying."

TankBoi45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2015

"I didn't have acne but would get clusters of pimples and once I started using this and not touching my face, my face has cleared up completely"

Happy17368 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"I only started using differin a week ago. It has made my skin very red like in the first 3 days I got a red rash-like thing below my lips and on my cheeks and it burns. It also has made around my eyes very dry. I am going to start using it every second day for my skin to get used to it but I really hope that it will work. Just give it time people and don't over use or get worried if your skin becomes red because that is a side effect if you have sensitive skin."

laylow123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2015

"I have had mild/moderate acne ever since I was 12. I've tried countless over the counter products, but decided to see a dermotoligist for real results. She put me on epiduo at 14 which worked slightly but being in the sun for a short amount of time gave me a rash on my face. I then went on once-daily cream(the cream is called once-daily) and it didn't help. My acne calmed down when I was 16, but came back just before my 17th. My doctor prescribed differen to me and I'm already getting results 2 weeks in. Only thing is I can't use it every day because it dries my skin out too much, but that's to be expected. Moisturiser is a must with this gel or your skin will flake! It really does help but, my skin tone is much nicer. Recommend it :)"

Rachel, 17. Also use doxycycline and Diane35 contraceptive pill. (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

"I have had acne on and off for around 5 years now. I am a 22 year old male. I moved to Dubai and it got gradually worse over time. I started taking epiduo for around 8 weeks and it helped a little. I then came off it due to my skin my being pretty sensitive. My dermo prescribed me Tetralysal and Differin. Now the differin is very delicate on the skin in my opinion. I have taken for around 2 and a half weeks. I am currently going through the initial breakout and its bad. My general skin tone is tonnes better but we will have to see!"

James2393 April 29, 2015

"When I moved to a place with a really hot climate,I started having horrible acne.I never had any issues with my skin before and i was devastated, I was 28 and having skin problems .I tried every facial wash,creams and scrubs. Nothing worked. Finally decided to see a derma after 2 yrs of fighting acne. He prescribed clindamycin and Differin. First weeks of using,my skin dried so badly. It was sore and sensitive esp around the eye area. Gradually though, my face cleared. It also helped slowly lighten the dark spots from healed acne.I didn't have any of those initial breakouts but the change was really very gradual. It does work. Just be patient. I'm now happy with my skin. Tip:after washing,MOISTURIZE! Then apply differin. Goodluck :-)"

Rossyross (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2015

"Worked really well after about 2 months my acne was a lot clearer. I hardly get acne any more. Hardly any irritation when I used the .01% and I've pretty bad reaction to other acne creams I've tried before."

clementineduck March 31, 2015

"I tried this medication when I was a teenager but did not stick with it because the irritation it caused me was unbearable. I wonder if it because my acne was worse and my skin more sensitive at the time but I can't remember how long I stuck with it. I started my current try with it about nine moths ago. I had about one-two months of redness, itchiness and a lot of skin flaking but as soon as this wore off (which it did completely) as my skin adapted to it, I started noticed big improvements: I have had almost no blackheads which were causing me lot of scarring. For most of the month I get no spots and when I do, it's just a few and they are MUCH smaller, less painful and disappear quicker and my skin overall looks clearer and more youthful"

Acne anonymous March 24, 2015

"I had suffered with Acne for about 4 years. I was 29 when I first started using Differin gel. After 2 months my skin was completely clear and I am so happy. I would recommend Differin to anyone. I didn't need to waste money on other products that don't work. Differin has changed my life. Flawless skin finally. I'm 30 now and I've been using Differin for 6 months. Best acne treatment on the market."

Jessie G (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015