Generic Name: polyethylene glycol/electrolytes (pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kole/e-LECK-troe-lites)
Brand Name: Example include NuLYTELY and TriLyte
TriLyte solution is used for:
Cleaning out the bowel before surgery or other procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
TriLyte solution is a laxative. It works by causing the colon to move contents along more quickly.
Do NOT use TriLyte solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in TriLyte solution
- you have appendicitis or certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, retention, perforation, toxic inflammation, megacolon, ileus)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using TriLyte solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with TriLyte solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a throat (esophagus) disease, ulcerative colitis, heart disease (eg, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure), swallowing problems (eg, history of aspiration or regurgitation), impaired gag reflex, electrolyte imbalances (eg, high blood potassium levels), or rectal bleeding of unknown cause
- if you have a history of alcohol use
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with TriLyte solution. However, no specific interactions with TriLyte solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if TriLyte solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use TriLyte solution:
Use TriLyte solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Your doctor will tell you when to start using TriLyte solution. Do not eat any solid foods for at least 2 hours before beginning TriLyte solution. It is preferred that you do not eat for 3 to 4 hours before beginning TriLyte solution.
- Drink only clear liquids and do not eat any solid foods from the time you start TriLyte solution until your procedure is complete.
- Before using TriLyte solution, fill the container with the amount of water indicated on the package label. Use lukewarm water to mix TriLyte solution to help the medicine dissolve faster. Shake well.
- Chilling TriLyte solution improves the taste. Do not chill TriLyte solution if the patient is an infant. Do not add sugar, sweetening agents, or other additives to TriLyte solution.
- Some of these products come with a Flavor Pack. If this product comes with a Flavor Pack and you wish to use it, add the contents of the Flavor Pack into the bottle before you add the water. If you do not use the Flavor Pack, throw it away.
- Shake well before each use.
- Drink 8 ounces (240 mL) of TriLyte solution every 10 minutes until the stool is watery, clear, and free of all solid matter, or until the medicine is gone. At least 3 liters is usually required to produce the watery stool. It is best to drink all of TriLyte solution. Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your doctor. It is best to drink each portion quickly rather than sipping it. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash after each glass of medicine may help get rid of the taste.
- If the patient is a child, a different dosing schedule may be recommended. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor.
- Other medicines taken by mouth within 1 hour of taking TriLyte solution may not be absorbed or be effective. Contact your doctor or pharmacist with any concerns you might have about taking your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of TriLyte solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking TriLyte solution before your test.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use TriLyte solution.
Important safety information:
- The first bowel movement usually occurs about 1 hour after you begin drinking TriLyte solution.
- Keep all doctor and lab appointments while you are taking TriLyte solution.
- Use TriLyte solution with caution in patients who are unconscious or partially conscious because they may be at greater risk for vomiting and inhaling TriLyte solution.
- Use TriLyte solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using TriLyte solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially low blood sugar, low blood potassium levels, and dehydration. Monitor children carefully for symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, increased heartbeat, headache, chills, sweating, tremor, increased hunger, changes in vision, nervousness, weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting). Tell the doctor right away if your child experiences any of these symptoms.
- TriLyte solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using TriLyte solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if TriLyte solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use TriLyte solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of TriLyte solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloating; nausea; rectal irritation; stomach fullness or cramps; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; hoarseness; muscle weakness; persistent or severe nausea and vomiting; severe bloating or abdominal swelling; severe stomach pain; slow or irregular heartbeat; vomiting of blood.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of TriLyte solution:
Before mixing, store TriLyte solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After preparing the solution, store TriLyte solution in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. Use within 48 hours. Discard any unused portion of TriLyte solution. Keep TriLyte solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about TriLyte solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- TriLyte solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take TriLyte solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about TriLyte solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to TriLyte solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using TriLyte solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.