Generic Name: gentamicin/prednisolone (jen-ta-MYE-sin/pred-NISS-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Pred-G S.O.P.
Pred-G S.O.P. is used for:
Treating inflammation (swelling, warmth, redness, pain) of the eyes and eyelids when infection or risk of infection is present.
Pred-G S.O.P. is an antibiotic and corticosteroid combination. The antibiotic works by killing sensitive bacteria. Exactly how the corticosteroid works is unknown.
Do NOT use Pred-G S.O.P. if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pred-G S.O.P. or to other corticosteroids (eg, prednisone)
- you have a viral infection of the eye (eg, herpes), a fungal or tuberculosis infection of the eye, certain untreated eye infections (eg, infections producing pus or discharge), or vaccinia or chickenpox infection
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pred-G S.O.P.:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pred-G S.O.P.. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have thinning of the eye tissues (eg, cornea, sclera), other eye problems (eg, glaucoma, cataracts, nerve damage), or diabetes
- if you have certain untreated eye infections (eg, infections producing pus or discharge) or if you have recently had cataract surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pred-G S.O.P.. Because little, if any, of Pred-G S.O.P. is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Pred-G S.O.P. may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pred-G S.O.P.:
Use Pred-G S.O.P. as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pred-G S.O.P. may be used around the eye or in the eye. To use Pred-G S.O.P. in the eye, first, wash your hands. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from your eye to form a pouch. Squeeze a thin strip of ointment into the pouch. After using Pred-G S.O.P., gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. Wipe the applicator tip with a clean, dry tissue.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Pred-G S.O.P.. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- If your doctor prescribed more than 1 eye medicine, find out the best order for using each medicine.
- If you miss a dose of Pred-G S.O.P., use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pred-G S.O.P..
Important safety information:
- Pred-G S.O.P. may cause blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pred-G S.O.P. with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including eye pressure, may be performed while you use Pred-G S.O.P.. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Pred-G S.O.P. should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pred-G S.O.P. while you are pregnant. It is not known if Pred-G S.O.P. is found in breast milk after use in the eye. Do not breast-feed while using Pred-G S.O.P..
Possible side effects of Pred-G S.O.P.:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild burning or stinging; temporary blurred vision.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; eye pain, itching, redness, swelling, irritation, or sores not present when you began using Pred-G S.O.P..
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pred-G S.O.P.:
Store Pred-G S.O.P. at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pred-G S.O.P. out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pred-G S.O.P., please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pred-G S.O.P. is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Pred-G S.O.P. or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Pred-G S.O.P.. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Pred-G S.O.P.. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Pred-G S.O.P..
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.