Generic Name: ofloxacin (oh-FLOX-uh-SIN)
Brand Name: Floxin Otic
Ofloxacin solution is used for:
Treating outer and some middle ear infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ofloxacin solution is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It works by killing the bacteria.
Do NOT use ofloxacin solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ofloxacin solution
- you have had a severe allergic reaction to another fluoroquinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ofloxacin solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with ofloxacin solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have tendonitis (swelling of the tendons)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ofloxacin solution. However, no specific interactions with ofloxacin solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if ofloxacin solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ofloxacin solution:
Use ofloxacin solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ofloxacin solution is only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for 1 or 2 minutes to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear. Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for 5 minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating the medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you are using ofloxacin solution for a middle ear infection, pump the flap over the ear 4 times after instilling the medicine in order to help it reach the middle ear.
- Ofloxacin solution works best if used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use ofloxacin solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of ofloxacin solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ofloxacin solution.
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use ofloxacin solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of ofloxacin solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Ofloxacin solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using ofloxacin solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if ofloxacin solution is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while taking ofloxacin solution.
Possible side effects of ofloxacin solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Itching of the ear; taste changes.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased hearing; ear irritation; hearing loss; redness, bleeding, or swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Ofloxacin solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of ofloxacin solution:
Store ofloxacin solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ofloxacin solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ofloxacin solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ofloxacin solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ofloxacin solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ofloxacin solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ofloxacin solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ofloxacin solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ofloxacin otic
- Other brands: Floxin Otic