Generic Name: iloprost (EYE-loe-prost)
Brand Name: Ventavis
Iloprost is used for:
Treating pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) (high blood pressure in the lungs) in certain patients.
Iloprost is a form of prostacyclin. It is similar to a substance in the body that widens (dilates) blood vessels, such as those in the lungs. This helps to decrease blood pressure in the lungs.
Do NOT use iloprost if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in iloprost
- you have certain lung problems (eg, chronic respiratory acidosis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using iloprost:
Some medical conditions may interact with iloprost. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD], asthma, lung infection)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, low blood pressure, or blood clotting problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with iloprost. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Vasodilators (eg, hydralazine, nitroglycerin) or medicine to treat high blood pressure because the risk of their side effects may be increased by iloprost
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or antiplatelet medicines (eg, clopidogrel) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if iloprost may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use iloprost:
Use iloprost as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with iloprost. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Breathe iloprost into your lungs. Do not allow iloprost solution to come into contact with your skin or eyes. Wash thoroughly with water if you do get iloprost on your skin or in your eyes.
- Do not swallow iloprost.
- Only use iloprost with either the Prodose AAD System or the I-neb ADD System. Carefully follow the instructions for operating and cleaning the equipment that come with the system. Do not put other medicines into this equipment. Clean the equipment after each dose of iloprost.
- Be sure to have easy access to a back-up Prodose AAD System or I-neb AAD System.
- Follow the instructions in the extra patient leaflet for preparing iloprost for use. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to prepare or use your dose.
- Do not allow other people to be exposed to iloprost while you are breathing it, especially children and pregnant women.
- Do not take a dose of iloprost within 2 hours of your last dose. However, the benefits of iloprost may not last 2 hours. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- After each inhalation session, any solution left in the medicine chamber should be discarded.
- If you miss a dose of iloprost, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use iloprost.
Important safety information:
- Iloprost may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use iloprost with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- You may have a fall in blood pressure while using iloprost, and you may become dizzy or faint. Stand up slowly from a seated or lying position, such as in a chair or bed. If fainting gets worse, contact your doctor. Your doctor may need to change your dose or treatment.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor. Talk to your doctor about the best time(s) to use iloprost.
- Do NOT take disulfiram or metronidazole while using iloprost. Side effects, such as flushing, headache, fast or irregular heartbeat, trouble breathing, nausea, or vomiting, may occur.
- Iloprost may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Lab tests, including vital signs, may be performed while you use iloprost. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use iloprost with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Iloprost should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using iloprost while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking iloprost.
Possible side effects of iloprost:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; dizziness; flushing; headache; increased cough; jaw tightness; light-headedness; muscle cramps; nausea; tongue pain; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; coughing up blood; decreased urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; flu-like symptoms (eg, fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness); jaw spasms or pain; severe or persistent dizziness; shortness of breath; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, legs, or feet; trouble opening your mouth; unusual bruising or bleeding (eg, bleeding gums, nosebleed); wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; flushing; severe dizziness; severe or persistent diarrhea, headache, nausea, or vomiting.Proper storage of iloprost:
Store iloprost at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep iloprost out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about iloprost, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Iloprost is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take iloprost or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about iloprost. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to iloprost. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using iloprost.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about iloprost
- Other brands: Ventavis