benzoyl peroxide gel
Generic Name: clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide (KLIN-da-MYE-sin/BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide)
Brand Name: BenzaClin Care Kit
Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel is used for:
Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel is an antibiotic and drying agent combination. It works by stopping the bacterial infection that causes acne. The moisturizing serum works by providing moisture to the skin.
Do NOT use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel or to lincomycin
- you have a history of Crohn disease, inflammation of the colon caused by antibiotics, pseudomembranous colitis, regional enteritis, or ulcerative colitis
- you are using a product that contains erythromycin or an ammonium salt (eg, benzalkonium chloride)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a stomach or intestinal disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Products that contain ammonium salts (eg, benzalkonium chloride) because they may decrease clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel's effectiveness
- Products that contain erythromycin because their effectiveness may be decreased by clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel:
Use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Before applying clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel to the affected areas, gently wash and rinse the skin with warm water and pat dry. Apply a thin film of medicine to the affected skin and rub in as directed by your doctor. Wash your hands immediately after using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel.
- To use the moisturizing serum: Twist the cap off of one ampule. Squeeze the serum onto your skin and rub in completely. Throw away any serum left in the ampule after one use.
- Continue to use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel.
Important safety information:
- Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or in the vagina. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel may bleach hair or colored fabric. Avoid getting clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel in your hair or on your clothes.
- Once you begin using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel, it may take several weeks before you begin to see improvement. If your symptoms do not improve by 11 weeks or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other topical acne medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not use clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel for other conditions at a later time.
- Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Long-term or repeated use of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur during treatment or within several months after treatment with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel.
Possible side effects of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry skin; flushing; itching; redness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; burning, peeling, or irritation at the application site; severe diarrhea; stomach cramps or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel:
Store clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep tightly closed. Throw away any unused portion after 3 months. Keep clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin topical
- Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin topical
- Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin Topical application (Advanced Reading)