Generic Name: ciclopirox (SYE-kloe-PIR-ox)
Brand Name: Loprox
Ciclopirox shampoo is used for:
Treating seborrheic dermatitis (itching, redness, irritation, and flaking) of the scalp.
Ciclopirox shampoo is an antifungal. It is unknown how it works for this condition.
Do NOT use ciclopirox shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ciclopirox shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ciclopirox shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with ciclopirox shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ciclopirox shampoo. However, no specific interactions with ciclopirox shampoo are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if ciclopirox shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ciclopirox shampoo:
Use ciclopirox shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with ciclopirox shampoo. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Wet hair and scalp completely with water. Apply 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 mL) of ciclopirox shampoo to scalp area. Lather and leave on for 3 minutes. A timer may be used. Rinse off.
- Repeat twice a week for 4 weeks with a minimum of 3 days between applications, or as directed by your health care provider.
- To clear up your infection completely, use ciclopirox shampoo for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your symptoms have improved.
- If you miss a dose of ciclopirox shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ciclopirox shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Ciclopirox shampoo is for external use on the scalp only. Do not get ciclopirox shampoo in your eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina. Do not swallow ciclopirox shampoo. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Be sure to use ciclopirox shampoo for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use ciclopirox shampoo for any conditions other than the one for which it was prescribed.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Ciclopirox shampoo should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 16 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using ciclopirox shampoo while you are pregnant. It is not known if ciclopirox shampoo is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use ciclopirox shampoo, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ciclopirox shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild itching, burning, or redness of the scalp.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering, swelling, or oozing of the scalp.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Ciclopirox shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of ciclopirox shampoo:
Store ciclopirox shampoo at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep ciclopirox shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ciclopirox shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciclopirox shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ciclopirox shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ciclopirox shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ciclopirox shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ciclopirox shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ciclopirox topical
- Ciclopirox cream
- Ciclopirox cream and cleanser kit
- Ciclopirox gel
- Ciclopirox solution
- Ciclopirox solution kit
- More (3) »