Generic Name: chromium picolinate (KROE-mee-uhm pi-KOE-li-nate)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Chromium picolinate is used for:
Treating or preventing chromium deficiency.
Chromium picolinate is a mineral. It works by increasing the blood levels of chromium.
Do NOT use chromium picolinate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in chromium picolinate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using chromium picolinate:
Some medical conditions may interact with chromium picolinate. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with chromium picolinate. However, no specific interactions with chromium picolinate are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if chromium picolinate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use chromium picolinate:
Use chromium picolinate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take chromium picolinate with food.
- Take chromium picolinate with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you miss taking a dose of chromium picolinate for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use chromium picolinate.
Important safety information:
- Diabetes patients - Chromium picolinate may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using chromium picolinate during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using chromium picolinate, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of chromium picolinate:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include kidney or liver damage; loss of consciousness; seizures; upset stomach; vomiting.Proper storage of chromium picolinate:
Store chromium picolinate at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep chromium picolinate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about chromium picolinate, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chromium picolinate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take chromium picolinate or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about chromium picolinate. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to chromium picolinate. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using chromium picolinate.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More chromium picolinate resources
- chromium picolinate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)