Skip to Content

Symptom Checker

Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.

Vaginal Sores and Lumps

Normally, the uterus, bladder, and rectum are each supported so that they are not pressing against the vaginal canal. As women age, the muscles in the pelvic floor can weaken. In addition, the ligaments that hold the uterus in place can weaken or stretch. These changes are particularly common after childbirth. An organ that loses its support can then "slump" from its usual position, so that it presses against the vaginal canal and creates a bulge in the wall of the vagina. Sometimes a bulge from an adjacent organ can be felt pushing out of the vagina or seen bulging from the vagina.

A bulge in the vagina from the rectum is called rectocele. A bulge in the vagina from the uterus is called uterine prolapse. A bulge from the bladder is called a bladder prolapse or a cystocele.

None of these conditions are dangerous but they may cause symptoms such as a moist deposit in the underwear, a pulling or heavy feeling in the vagina, constipation and urinary leakage. If you think you have a lump pushing out of your vagina like this, you should discuss it with your doctor. There are ways to treat this if it is causing symptoms.

Treatment usually starts with the use of a ring called a pessary that your doctor can insert in the vagina to hold things in place. Surgery is available if it is necessary.


Please provide feedback to help us improve the Symptom Checker.

Disclaimer: This content should not be considered complete and should not be used in place of a call or visit to a health professional. Use of this content is subject to specific Terms of Use & Medical Disclaimers.