Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.
Smoking and alcohol use increase your risk for cancer in the esophagus. This is a possible concern because of your age or smoking history. If you have lost weight, that also raises concern for cancer. To check for cancer your doctor will want to arrange a test to view the inside of your throat and esophagus.
Cancer is not the most common reason for swallowing difficulty. Injury from acid reflux is more common.
Consider the following symptoms:
- Sharp or burning chest pain behind the breastbone (heartburn)
- Chest heaviness
- Regurgitation of partially digested or sour-tasting stomach contents
- Excessive saliva production
- Persistent cough
- Hoarse voice or lost voice
- A need to repeatedly clear your throat
- Asthma (wheezing)
Are you having any of the symptoms listed above?