Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.
Loss of Control of Urine in Women
The symptoms you described are classic for what is called stress incontinence. Coughing, laughing and exercising put excess stress on the pelvic muscles. Since they have been stretched, they do not work as well as they used to and you leak urine.
There are several treatments for stress incontinence.
One common treatment is Kegel exercises. The exercises can strengthen the pelvic muscles and give you better urinary control.
Another treatment is scheduled voiding. By emptying the bladder at regular intervals, there is very little urine left in the bladder to leak when you do cough or strain.
There is also surgical treatment but this is usually recommended only when other more conservative therapies have been ineffective.
Please provide feedback to help us improve the Drugs.com Symptom Checker.
- Abdomen and Pelvis
- See also:
- Acid Reflux Treatment
- Bleeding After Menopause
- Bleeding Between Menstrual Periods
- Blood in the Urine in Women
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Constipation in Adults
- Difficulty Passing Urine
- Frequent Urination in Women
- Heavy Menstrual Periods
- Intestinal Gas Guide
- Loss of Control of Urine in Women
- Lumps or Pain Within the Scrotum
- Missed or Irregular Menstrual Periods
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Never Started Menstrual Periods
- Painful Menstrual Cramps
- Rectal Bleeding
- Rectal Pain or Itching
- Recurring Abdominal Pain
- Understanding New and Severe Abdominal Pain
- Vaginal Discharge, Itching or Irritation
- Vaginal Dryness
- Vaginal Pain or Discomfort
- Vaginal Sores and Lumps
- When Menstrual Periods Stop
- Start over