Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.
If you use hormone replacement as a way to treat your hot flashes, you will need to take both estrogen and progesterone. Progesterone is used because it protects your uterus from having extra risk for endometrial cancer (uterine cancer).
Your family history and health history will be important for you to consider as you think through the potential risks of estrogen and progesterone. Please review this list of factors that might increase your risk of health problems from estrogen treatment:
- Family history of breast cancer in a close relative
- BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 gene for breast cancer
- Coronary artery disease
- Family history of heart attack at a young age
- Personal history of stroke
- Personal history of blood clot in the leg, also known as deep venous thrombosis (DVT)
- Personal history of pulmonary embolus
Do you have or have you had any of the health concerns on the list above?