Iron Polysaccharide Oral Liquid
Last Updated: January 26, 2011
Products Affected - Description
Niferex Elixir, Ther-Rx
100 mg/5 mL, 236 mL bottle (NDC 64011-0160-05)
Reason for the Shortage
- KV Pharmaceuticals, which markets prescription medications through Ethex and Ther-Rx, voluntarily suspended shipment of all prescription tablet products in December 2008. In early 2009, FDA filed an injunction against KV Pharmaceuticals preventing the company from manufacturing any products until all issues are resolved. Ther-Rx products are on long-term back order and Ethex has been closed.
- Ther-Rx discontinued Niferex elixir in November, 2010.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Niferex elixir is no longer available.
- There are no other manufacturers of iron polysaccharide oral liquid.
- Iron Polysaccharide capsules are available from multiple manufacturers.
January 26, 2011; November 19, 2010; September 1, 2010; July 1, 2010; May 27, 2010; April 13, 2010; March 3, 2010, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2011, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.