Last Updated: February 9, 2011
Products Affected - Description
Ergonovine maleate 0.2-mg/mL solution for injection (Ergotrate Maleate), Pharmacist Pharmaceutical
1 mL single-dose vials (NDC 63704-0002-01)
Reason for the Shortage
- Bedford Laboratories discontinued manufacturing ergonovine injection in January 2001.1
- Pharmacist Pharmaceuticals discontinued manufacturing ergonovine injection around 2009.2
- There are no other manufacturers of this product.
Estimated Resupply Dates
Pharmacist Pharmaceutical is no longer manufacturing Ergotrate Maleate injection.
Alternative Agents & Management
Ergonovine injection was used off-label for the diagnosis of vasospastic angina. The utility of this testing has been called into question.3
- Bedford Laboratories (personal communications). March 21 and 27, 2002.
- Pharmacist Pharmaceutical (personal communications). February 9, 2011.
- AdlamD, Azeem T, Ali T, Gershlick A. Is there a role for provocation testing to diagnose coronary artery spasm? International Journal of Cardiology. 2005;102:1-7.
February 9, 2011, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2011, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.