Acetasol HC solution
Generic Name: acetic acid/hydrocortisone (a-SEE-tik AS-id/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Acetasol HC
Acetasol HC solution is used for:
Treating mild ear infections along with inflammation.
Acetasol HC solution is an antibacterial and corticosteroid combination. The antibacterial works by lowering the pH in the ear canal, preventing certain bacteria from growing. The corticosteroid decreases inflammation in a way that is not exactly known.
Do NOT use Acetasol HC solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acetasol HC solution
- you have a perforated or ruptured eardrum
- you have herpes simplex infection (eg, cold sores, genital herpes), chickenpox, or vaccinia infection
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acetasol HC solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acetasol HC solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acetasol HC solution. Because little, if any, of Acetasol HC solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Acetasol HC solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acetasol HC solution:
Use Acetasol HC solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Acetasol HC solution is only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Acetasol HC solution in your eyes, rinse them immediately with cool tap water.
- Clean the outer ear gently with a cotton-tipped applicator.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from getting into your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Acetasol HC solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acetasol HC solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Acetasol HC solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Acetasol HC solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acetasol HC solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Acetasol HC solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Acetasol HC solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; itching; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation; sensitivity.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Acetasol HC solution:
Store Acetasol HC solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Acetasol HC solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acetasol HC solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetasol HC solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Acetasol HC solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Acetasol HC solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Acetasol HC solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Acetasol HC solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Acetasol HC (acetic acid / hydrocortisone otic)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: otic steroids with anti-infectives
Other brands: Vosol HC