Xiaflex Side Effects
Generic Name: collagenase clostridium histolyticum
Note: This document contains side effect information about collagenase clostridium histolyticum. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Xiaflex.
Some side effects of Xiaflex may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to collagenase clostridium histolyticum: injection powder for solution
Along with its needed effects, collagenase clostridium histolyticum (the active ingredient contained in Xiaflex) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking collagenase clostridium histolyticum:More common—Dupuytren's contracture
- Bruising or bleeding at the injection site
- swelling of the hands
- tearing of the skin
- Itching, pain, redness, swelling, or bruise of the penis
- popping sound or sensation in an erect penis
- Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- inability to have or keep an erection
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- painful sexual intercourse
- Bone pain
- lower back or side pain
- painful, swollen joints
Some side effects of collagenase clostridium histolyticum may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common—Dupuytren's contracture
- Blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, lumps, numbness, rash, scarring, stinging, tingling, or ulceration at the injection site
- flushing, redness of the skin or unusually warm skin at the injection site
- itching, pain, swelling, or tenderness at the injection site
- swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck or armpit
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to collagenase clostridium histolyticum: injectable powder for injection
Musculospiral side effects have included tendon ruptures and other serious injury to the injected extremity,
Local side effects have included swelling of the injected hand, contusion, injection site reaction and bleeding, and pain in the treated extremity.
Cardiovascular side effects have included vasovagal syncope after finger extension procedures.
Other side effects have included lymphadenopathy, lymph node pain, and axillary pain.