Xiaflex Side Effects
Generic Name: collagenase clostridium histolyticum
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug collagenase clostridium histolyticum. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Xiaflex.
It is possible that some side effects of Xiaflex may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to collagenase clostridium histolyticum: injection powder for solution
As well as its needed effects, collagenase clostridium histolyticum (the active ingredient contained in Xiaflex) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking collagenase clostridium histolyticum, check with your doctor or nurse immediately:More common—Dupuytren's contracture
- Bruising or bleeding at the injection site
- swelling of the hands
- tearing of the skin
- Itching, pain, redness, swelling, or bruise of the penis
- popping sound or sensation in an erect penis
- Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- inability to have or keep an erection
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- painful sexual intercourse
- Bone pain
- lower back or side pain
- painful, swollen joints
Some collagenase clostridium histolyticum side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:More common—Dupuytren's contracture
- Blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, lumps, numbness, rash, scarring, stinging, tingling, or ulceration at the injection site
- flushing, redness of the skin or unusually warm skin at the injection site
- itching, pain, swelling, or tenderness at the injection site
- swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck or armpit
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to collagenase clostridium histolyticum: injectable powder for injection
Musculospiral side effects have included tendon ruptures and other serious injury to the injected extremity,[Ref]
Local side effects have included swelling of the injected hand, contusion, injection site reaction and bleeding, and pain in the treated extremity.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included vasovagal syncope after finger extension procedures.[Ref]
Other side effects have included lymphadenopathy, lymph node pain, and axillary pain.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Xiaflex (collagenase clostridium histolyticum)." Auxilium Pharmaceuticals Inc, Norristown, PA.
More about Xiaflex (collagenase clostridium histolyticum)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.