Amicar Side Effects
Generic name: aminocaproic acid
Note: This document contains side effect information about aminocaproic acid. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Amicar.
Some side effects of Amicar may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to aminocaproic acid: oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, aminocaproic acid (the active ingredient contained in Amicar) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking aminocaproic acid:Incidence not known
- black, tarry stools
- bleeding gums
- blood in the urine or stools
- blurred vision
- change in the ability to see colors, especially blue or yellow
- chest pain or discomfort
- cough or hoarseness
- dark-colored urine
- decreased frequency or amount of urine
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty with moving
- difficulty with speaking
- difficulty with swallowing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position suddenly
- double vision
- fast heartbeat
- fever with or without chills
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- general feeling of tiredness or weakness
- inability to move the arms, legs, or facial muscles
- inability to speak
- increased thirst
- itching of the skin
- joint pain
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- muscle aching or cramping
- muscle cramps or spasms
- muscle pain or stiffness
- muscular pain, tenderness, wasting, or weakness
- nausea and vomiting
- numbness and tingling of the face, fingers, or toes
- pain in the arms, legs, or lower back, especially pain in the calves or heels upon exertion
- painful or difficult urination
- pale, bluish-colored, or cold hands or feet
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- problems with bleeding or clotting
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- slow speech
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing sweating
- swelling of the face, fingers, or lower legs
- swollen glands
- swollen joints
- tenderness, pain, swelling, warmth, skin discoloration, and prominent superficial veins over the affected area
- tightness in the chest
- troubled breathing
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- weak or absent pulses in the legs
- weight gain
Some side effects of aminocaproic acid may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Incidence not known
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- confusion as to time, place, or person
- continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- decreased vision
- ejaculation without semen
- hearing loss
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
- mood or mental changes
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- stuffy nose
- unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
- watery eyes
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to aminocaproic acid: compounding powder, intravenous solution, oral syrup, oral tablet
Hematologic side effects have included agranulocytosis, coagulation disorder, leukopenia, and thrombocytopenia.
Cardiovascular side effects have included bradycardia, hypotension, peripheral ischemia, and thrombosis.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
Musculoskeletal side effects have included increased levels of creatinine phosphokinase (CPK), muscle weakness, myalgia, myopathy, myositis, and rhabdomyolysis.
Nervous system side effects have included confusion, convulsions, delirium, dizziness, hallucinations, intracranial hypertension, stroke, and syncope.
Respiratory side effects have included dyspnea, nasal congestion, and pulmonary embolism.
Dermatologic side effects have included pruritus and rash.
Renal side effects have included increased blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and renal failure.
Ocular side effects have included decreased vision and watery eyes.
General side effects have included edema, headache, malaise, and tinnitus.
Hypersensitivity side effects have included anaphylaxis, and allergic and anaphylactoid reactions.
Local side effects have included injection site reactions, pain, and necrosis.
More Amicar resources
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.